What I have been working on

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Re: What I have been working on

Post by Larryrl »

I added two new letters to the Shu alphabet (strek).

THERE IS NO "NY" CONSTRUCTION, AS WE NOW HAVE THE SPANISH LETTER "Ñ"
ALSO, THERE IS NO "NG" CONSTRUCTION AS WE NOW HAVE THE LETTER "Ŋ"

Something else I find interesting is that I have a group of conlang videos from YouTube, that I went back and looked at. I took some of the coolest sounding words to go into Shu. When I had them all in my worksheet named unused language words, I was surprised at how many were already there. It just goes to show that words are not infinite. Eventually, you're going to use a word that has already been used by another language, whether that was your intention or not. I'm trying not to get too many funny letters in Shu, but at the same time, I am looking to make it more interesting in terms of the alphabet. I already have two circumflex characters, an a, and u. So now with the Ñ and Ŋ, that brings the total to 4.

So far I have 2,167 words and counting

Also, sometimes there will be two separate word forms on the "other pos" page. That is for words where the noun form cannot be used also as the adjective or adverb form. If it would be too confusing to the learner, I split it up into similar yet different words.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ñ is nice. I use the letter Ñ in Shaleyan and Quispe.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Famous chorus

LA DIHA KE DAZNI ŶL ZELTA
AKT DEIRA AKAR TA
LA DIHA KE DAZNI ŶL ZELTA
AKT DEIRA AKAR TA

I wanna rock and roll all night
and party every day
I wanna rock and roll all night
and party every day

[:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I have finally decided how Shu is going to handle compound words. Words that begin with un which means one who does the action of the verb, or zel which means opposite, will attach to the front of the word. Things that have to be described with multiple words such as ranch salad dressing, each word will have a space between it.

2204 words and counting. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I have decided to use my compact script in a modified version with Shu, but also I have an alternate script which uses only numbers and is written like an addition problem in math, complete with the numbers lining up just how they are supposed to, and a dashed line or an underline under each sentence. This way you write vertical from top to bottom, left to right, and you leave one line space between sentences. In this version, there is punctuation and the punctuation always goes where it normally goes when writing in either script, or using the Romanized Latin alphabet. Keep in mind the dashed line, or the underline under the sentence, is not written in the numbers script, it is literally a dashed or solid line drawn with a pen. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Edited

Here is a link to my 80 something page Shu grammar for anyone who would like to study it. It has two different scripts you can use with it as well as the plain Latin alphabet like English uses. I will keep editing the link as I continue improving the content in the Shu grammar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubfktu5u5ho9g ... r.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by Larryrl on 24 Aug 2021 07:31, edited 8 times in total.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Four new Shu affixes and one old one [:D]

RŶN SUDDEN OR MOMENTARY ACTION GOES BEFORE A WORD
CO CONTEMPTIBLE GOES BEFORE A WORD
JO MEMBER GOES BEFORE A WORD
ŬT PERSON WHO HAS DONE THE ACTION EXPRESSED BY THE VERB GOES BEFORE A WORD
UN PERSON WHO DOES THE ACTION EXPRESSED BY THE VERB GOES BEFORE A WORD

It is important to understand that these can be standalone words, or they can be added to the beginning of a word as a prefix.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I do not have the current version of the affix table in the Shu grammar. I will get it done either tonight or tomorrow. [:D] Never enough hours in the day. Reminds me of the old Dunkin Donuts commercial where he says time to make the donuts and it's like 5 in the morning or something, and then he says something about already having made the donuts.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 23 Aug 2021 07:54 Never enough hours in the day. Reminds me of the old Dunkin Donuts commercial where he says time to make the donuts and it's like 5 in the morning or something, and then he says something about already having made the donuts.
[:D] Never seen that commercial, but it's true!

And I see you have tons of A-words that appear on the Landau Core Vocabulary list! [+1]
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 Aug 2021 22:13
Larryrl wrote: 23 Aug 2021 07:54 Never enough hours in the day. Reminds me of the old Dunkin Donuts commercial where he says time to make the donuts and it's like 5 in the morning or something, and then he says something about already having made the donuts.
[:D] Never seen that commercial, but it's true!

And I see you have tons of A-words that appear on the Landau Core Vocabulary list! [+1]
I am going down the list, a word at a time. I'm still in the A's I have since added a suffix that goes after a country name, to show a member of that country.

ITALIAN ITALIŬNEMŬ
ITALY ITŬLI

AUSTRALIA ASTREILIŬ
AUSTRALIAN ASTREILIEMŬ
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 23 Aug 2021 23:48 I am going down the list, a word at a time. I have since added a suffix that goes after a country name, to show a member of that country.

ITALIAN ITALIŬNEMŬ
ITALY ITŬLI

AUSTRALIA ASTREILIŬ
AUSTRALIAN ASTREILIEMŬ
Cool!

Why does "Italy" have Ŭ in its root while "Italian" has A in its root? Is it because that's how the English words sound? (In Italian they're Italia and italiano/a, respectively -- the A makes an /a/ sound in both).
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 Aug 2021 23:53
Larryrl wrote: 23 Aug 2021 23:48 I am going down the list, a word at a time. I have since added a suffix that goes after a country name, to show a member of that country.

ITALIAN ITALIŬNEMŬ
ITALY ITŬLI

AUSTRALIA ASTREILIŬ
AUSTRALIAN ASTREILIEMŬ
Cool!

Why does "Italy" have Ŭ in its root while "Italian" has A in its root? Is it because that's how the English words sound? (In Italian they're Italia and italiano/a, respectively -- the A makes an /a/ sound in both).
Because the "Ŭ" sound is like the "u" in "cup" and "luck", and when I say "Italy" I do not use the "Spanish a" sound or the "æ" sound represented by the "Ă" I pronounce it with the "Ŭ" "ʌ" sound. That sound also appears in a lot of words that in English end in "A". So I just make it the "Ŭ".
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 24 Aug 2021 00:13 Because the "Ŭ" sound is like the "u" in "cup" and "luck", and when I say "Italy" I do not use the "Spanish a" sound or the "æ" sound represented by the "Ă" I pronounce it with the "Ŭ" "ʌ" sound. That sound also appears in a lot of words that in English end in "A". So I just make it the "Ŭ".
I know the English words sound that way. It just sounds like an Anglocentric thing to do in your conlang. Maybe you could make each country's name its name in its own language: Italia, England, Deutschland, Nihon, Han-guk, Yisrael, Pilipinas, etc.
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Aug 2021 00:17
Larryrl wrote: 24 Aug 2021 00:13 Because the "Ŭ" sound is like the "u" in "cup" and "luck", and when I say "Italy" I do not use the "Spanish a" sound or the "æ" sound represented by the "Ă" I pronounce it with the "Ŭ" "ʌ" sound. That sound also appears in a lot of words that in English end in "A". So I just make it the "Ŭ".
I know the English words sound that way. It just sounds like an Anglocentric thing to do in your conlang. Maybe you could make each country's name its name in its own language: Italia, England, Deutschland, Nihon, Han-guk, Yisrael, Pilipinas, etc.
I am from Texas, I'm as Anglo as you get. Besides, it cuts down on words, if I have a suffix. I could get a list from the internet, and see, but if I did, it would still be have to convert them to my alphabet.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Added the "Ĭ" which is the "ɪ" sound, like the "I" in "sit" and "spit". Just gives me another sound to make words from.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Had to modify 2 words which started with "AŦ". Since it is a prefix that goes on the front of a word to mark the direct object, no root words can start with it. Glad I only had 2 words to fix. I'd have hated to fix a whole bunch of them, as I have 2,804 total words so far. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

While modifying broken parts of the language, I replaced the word "margo," which meant "tomorrow" and "silti", which meant yesterday. I made them "toreshkito" for day after today which is tomorrow, and "tozeokito" for day before today, which is yesterday.

Also I made the following words.
Spoiler:
RHYMING WORD #1 HA
RHYMING WORD #2 JA
RHYMING WORD #3 ZA
RHYMING WORD #4 PA
RHYMING WORD #5 ZI
RHYMING WORD #6 GI
RHYMING WORD #7 PRI
RHYMING WORD #8 THI
RHYMING WORD #9 TŬ
RHYMING WORD #10 PŬ
RHYMING WORD #11 NŬ
RHYMING WORD #12 SŬ
RHYMING WORD #13 HŬ
These rhyming words, are for use in songs and poems where certain lines might not rhyme, just add a pair of these matching rhyming words to the end of each line, and it magically rhymes. I must point out that the words do not translate into anything. That is why I called them rhyming word #1, etc. [:D] The trick is to alternate pairs of words on different lines to get them to rhyme and sound like a cool song or poem.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Decided to change two words, mit and numit. mit means with, and numit means without. I took out the "i" and replaced it with the "ĭ" I had always been pronouncing it with that sound anyway, but at first I did not have that sound or letter in Shu. Then when I added that "I" sound like in pin, and hit, I forgot to change the words for with and without.

Also, I just finished programming my Shu journal keeper program. I can now keep my journal on my computer using the SHU Romanized alphabet. [:D]
here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci1w7pdalmmm8bw/shu.zip?dl=0 It needs to be in a directory called shu, on your c drive. It is hard coded in that way. it was easier than trying to add in a ton of different places to keep it.

There is a menu for all the special characters, except for the "Ă" and the "Ĕ" Those two can be typed using the "Q" for the "Ĕ" and the "X" for the "Ă".
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I just finished modifying a couple more words that did not work right. The first was "much", it was originally "tost". To drink was "bital" in the present and still tense. I had "yazh", for "juice". so the word "drunk" was "tostbitalyazh". The first problem was that the noun drink was also "bital", but should have been "obital" as the noun form of the verb always begins with a vowel. I chose "o". Then, I changed "much", to "MŶ", and changed "alcohol", to "ESOŊVESA" which means "fire water". From there, I made "drunk" to be "MŶESOŊVESA" which literally transkates "much fire water".

I also modified an affix. The affx "ujat" which means the place where the action of the verb appears, was shortened to just "uj" it is a prefix. it goes before a noun. So, "BAR, SALOON (PLACE TO DRINK)" is "UJOBITAL". It's the word for drink, with the affix at the front. I did it this way because normally when you think of a drinking place, a bar comes to mind. Yes there are other places you can drink, and other things to drink besides alcohol, but they are not represented by "UJOBITAL". [:D]

So, remember if you are currently reading over the Shu grammer, keep going back every week or so to download a new copy because the lexicon will change over time, and I would hate for someone to learn a word for something, that ends up not being in the language after all.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

This is the link to my Shu numbers script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1fftas7n7yay ... s.ttf?dl=0

This is the link to my Shu Romanized script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

This is the link to my Shu block script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

These can be use in notepad, word pad, or any word processor that uses TTF fonts. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu