What I have been working on

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Re: What I have been working on

Post by Larryrl »

Shu now has 3,022 words. I finally broke 2000. I'm now in the bl's with the Landau Core Vocabulary. :mrred:
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Larryrl wrote: 29 Aug 2021 17:39This is the link to my Shu Romanized script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

This is the link to my Shu block script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

These can be use in notepad, word pad, or any word processor that uses TTF fonts. [:D]
The block script link is the same as the romanised script link?
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Reyzadren wrote: 30 Aug 2021 03:29
Larryrl wrote: 29 Aug 2021 17:39This is the link to my Shu Romanized script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

This is the link to my Shu block script. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhm40krgxofbe ... d.ttf?dl=0

These can be use in notepad, word pad, or any word processor that uses TTF fonts. [:D]
The block script link is the same as the romanised script link?
It wasn't supposed to be here is the new link. Sorry for the screw up [:D]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4mb43up0dx4q ... T.ttf?dl=0
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 24 Aug 2021 06:22
Khemehekis wrote: 24 Aug 2021 00:17
Larryrl wrote: 24 Aug 2021 00:13 Because the "Ŭ" sound is like the "u" in "cup" and "luck", and when I say "Italy" I do not use the "Spanish a" sound or the "æ" sound represented by the "Ă" I pronounce it with the "Ŭ" "ʌ" sound. That sound also appears in a lot of words that in English end in "A". So I just make it the "Ŭ".
I know the English words sound that way. It just sounds like an Anglocentric thing to do in your conlang. Maybe you could make each country's name its name in its own language: Italia, England, Deutschland, Nihon, Han-guk, Yisrael, Pilipinas, etc.
I am from Texas, I'm as Anglo as you get.
Texas, really? I thought the culture of Texas was more Hispanicized than most of the U.S. The most Anglo-Saxon parts of America, to my mind, would be the heavily Germanic rural Midwestern states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska), and some of the Mountain States (like Utah (highest percentage of residents identifying as English ethnically of any U.S. state!) and Idaho).
Besides, it cuts down on words, if I have a suffix.
It's not the suffix that's the problem. What I'm saying by "Anglocentric" is that it's weird to have /ʌ/ in the word for Italy and /æ/ or /a/ in the word for Italian just because that's the way English does it.

In English, "Spain" has an /ei/ vowel but "Spanish" has an /æ/ vowel. This is a quirk of English, and if you're deriving your word for Spanish from your word for Spain in your language, the vowels in those two words would probably be the same, unless your language had its own diachronic history of vowel changes in certain situations. But seeing as you have an auxlang, there are no diachronics to Shu.

Either make the word for Italy ITŬLI and the word for Italian ITŬLIEMŬ (or ITŬLINEMŬ), or make the word for Italy ITALI or ITALIA and the word for Italian ITALIŬNEMŬ. You're adding -EMŬ onto ITŬLI or ITALI or ITALIA.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 27 Aug 2021 06:05 RHYMING WORD #1 HA
RHYMING WORD #2 JA
RHYMING WORD #3 ZA
RHYMING WORD #4 PA
RHYMING WORD #5 ZI
RHYMING WORD #6 GI
RHYMING WORD #7 PRI
RHYMING WORD #8 THI
RHYMING WORD #9 TŬ
RHYMING WORD #10 PŬ
RHYMING WORD #11 NŬ
RHYMING WORD #12 SŬ
RHYMING WORD #13 HŬ

These rhyming words, are for use in songs and poems where certain lines might not rhyme, just add a pair of these matching rhyming words to the end of each line, and it magically rhymes. I must point out that the words do not translate into anything. That is why I called them rhyming word #1, etc. [:D] The trick is to alternate pairs of words on different lines to get them to rhyme and sound like a cool song or poem.
Oh, that's such a cool and original idea!

I don't have words to "cheat" with in Kankonian like that. I had to really think when I was translating BSB's "I Want It That Way" into Kankonian to get the lines to rhyme where the original rhymed (and of course, that changed the meaning a lot).
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 30 Aug 2021 02:46 Shu now has 3,022 words. I finally broke 2000. I'm now in the bl's with the Landau Core Vocabulary. :mrred:
I believe you mean you finally broke 3000.

Congrats on the milestone!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

For the past half-hour, I have been researching the names of the countries in the LCV and their names (and their names' pronunciations) in their native languages. To help you out, Larryrl, here they are:

U.K., Great Britain; British – U.K., Britain
England; English – England
Wales; Welsh – Wales, Cymru /ˈkəmrɨ̞/
Scotland; Scottish – Scotland
Ireland; Irish – Ireland, Éire /ˈeːɾ ə/
Germany; German – Deutschland [ˈdɔʏ t ʃlant]
Switzerland; Swiss – Schweiz /ʃvaɪ ts/
Austria; Austrian – Österreich /ˈøːstəʁaɪç/
Netherlands; Dutch – Nederland /ˈneː.dərˌlɑnt/
Sweden; Swedish – Sverige [¹sværjə]
Denmark; Danish – Danmark [ˈd̥ænmɑɡ̊]
Norway; Norwegian – Norge /ˈnɔɾɡə/
Finland; Finnish – Suomi /ˈsuo mi/
France; French – France /fʁɑ̃s/
Spain; Spanish – España /esˈpaɲa/
Portugal; Portuguese – Portugal [puɾ.tuˈɣaɫ]
Italy; Italian – Italia /iˈtalja/
Greece; Greek – Ελλάδα /eˈlaða/
Hungary; Hungarian – Magyarország [ˈmɒɟɒrorsaːɡ]
Poland; Polish – Polska /ˈpɔl.ska/
Czech Republic, Czech – Česko [ˈt ʃɛsko]
Russia; Russian – Россия [rɐˈs ijə]
Armenia; Armenian – Hayastan [hɑjɑsˈtɑn]
Turkey; Turkish – Türkiye /týɾ.ci.je/
Israel; Israeli – ישראל /jis.rɔ.ejl/
Palestine; Palestinian – فلسطين /fi.las.tʕiːn/
Jordan; Jordanian – الأردن /al.ʔur.dunn/
Iraq; Iraqi – العراق /al.ʕi.raːq/
Lebanon; Lebanese – لبنان /lub.naːn/
Syria; Syrian – سوريا /suː.ri.jaː/
Egypt; Egyptian – مصر /misʕr/
Iran; Iranian, Persian, Farsi – ا ران /iːɾɒːn/
Afghanistan; Afghan, Pushto – افغانستان /afˈɣɑnˈɪsˈtɑn/
Pakistan; Pakistani; Urdu – پاکستان /pɑː.kɪs.t̪ɑːn/
India; Indian, Hindi – Bharat [b äː.ɾət̪]
China; Chinese – Zhōngguó
Taiwan; Taiwanese – Tâi-oân
Japan; Japanese – Nihon /nihoɴ/
Korea; Korean – Hanguk (South) [ˈha̠(ː)nɡuk ], Joseon (North) [t ɕo̞sʰʌ n]
Vietnam; Vietnamese – Viet Nam [viət ʔ naːm ]
Cambodia; Cambodian, Khmer – Srok Khmae /srok ˈkʰmae/
Laos; Laotian, Lao – Muang Lao /mɯaŋ laːw /
Thailand; Thai – Muang Thai /mɯa ŋ tʰaj /
Indonesia; Indonesian – Indonesia /in.ˈdo.nɛ.sja/
Philippines; Filipino, Tagalog – Pilipinas [pɪlɪˈpɪnɐs]
Canada; Canadian – Canada
United States, U.S., America; American – U.S., America
Mexico; Mexican – México/Méjico [ˈme.xi.ko]
Puerto Rico; Puerto Rican – Puerto Rico /ˌpwe̞lto̞ˈχiko̞/
Cuba; Cuban – Cuba [ˈku.β̞a]
Jamaica; Jamaican – Jamaica
Haiti; Haitian – Ayiti /ajiti/
Peru; Peruvian – Perú [peˈɾu]
Argentina; Argentinian – Argentina /aɾxenˈtina/
Chile; Chilean – Chile [ˈt ʃi.le]
Brazil; Brazilian – Brasil [bɾaˈziʊ ]
Nigeria; Nigerian – Naijiria /nà.ì.d ʒí.ɾí.à/ (I picked the Yoruba name here)
Kenya; Kenyan; Swahili – Kenya [ˈkɛɲɒ] (Swahili name)
New Zealand; New Zealander – New Zealand
Australia; Australian – Australia
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I took your advice, at least on the countries, and made the vowel for Italy to be the Spanish/Italian "A", I did the same with Italian. What was making it hard for me, was that I say Italy with that "ʌ" sound at near the end followed by the Spanish/Latin "I", which makes the "ee" sound in English, but I say Italian with the "æ" vowel sound for the first "A" and the "ʌ" sound for the last. However, in an effort to be more natural sounding with Shu, I have done away with the affix for a member of a country, and just spelled them as close to the original as I could in my alphabet. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

[+1]

I see you're up to the BL-words now in your 100-page grammar! Congrats on that grammar milestone!

You'll get to the BL verbs like "to blind" and "to blush" when you get to the T's, with all tjose verbs under "to ____".

Why no "band" (musical) and "bank"?
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote: 01 Sep 2021 02:09 [+1]

I see you're up to the BL-words now in your 100-page grammar! Congrats on that grammar milestone!

You'll get to the BL verbs like "to blind" and "to blush" when you get to the T's, with all tjose verbs under "to ____".

Why no "band" (musical) and "bank"?
TO BANK DUPŶKE LUPŶKE

BAND, GROUP (MUSICAL) TIŊ

Also, about words why does English call it a board game, if it is not made from a board. Also, why say cardboard? It is more card than board. Whatever the word I choose, I will pair it up with my word for game. Still not sure about cardboard. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I also decided to add slang, and informal talk to Shu as well. Like how Spanish has TU" and "USTED"

YES, WILLINGLY (FORMAL) SU
YES, WILLINGLY (INFORMAL) YĔP
NO (FORMAL), NOT, 0 NU
NO (INFORMAL) NĔP

If you have a familiarity with the person, you are talking to then you can say "YĔP" and "NĔP". if not, then you say "SU" and NU".
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

The word “body wash” and “body guard” are “narpbuzhizho” and “narpdit”. While both “buzhizho” and “dit” are nouns that come form verbs, because they go with “body”, to make a compound noun, we drop the vowel and just leave the verb in the present tense verb form.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Finally merged all of my words into one big list. No more separating the nouns from the verbs. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I modified my modal verb "botip", into modal verbs, as I explain in the revised 110 page grammar. I also go into what each one is and how it functions. Those of you who acquire and read my grammar, tell me what is missing that needs to be there, but also tell me if something needs to be worded just a little but differently. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 01 Sep 2021 18:31 TO BANK DUPŶKE LUPŶKE

Cool, so you have a word for "band". Also, I see you have the verb "to bank", but what about the noun "bank"? I can't find that in your dictionary.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 01 Sep 2021 21:25 The word “body wash” and “body guard” are “narpbuzhizho” and “narpdit”. While both “buzhizho” and “dit” are nouns that come form verbs, because they go with “body”, to make a compound noun, we drop the vowel and just leave the verb in the present tense verb form.
Good to see you're working out the morphology of how different parts of speech can combine to form compound words!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote: 02 Sep 2021 19:24 I modified my modal verb "botip", into modal verbs, as I explain in the revised 110 page grammar. I also go into what each one is and how it functions. Those of you who acquire and read my grammar, tell me what is missing that needs to be there, but also tell me if something needs to be worded just a little but differently. [:D]
This part was great! [:D]
Picture this, you are in elementary or primary school, and you ask “Can I go to the bathroom?”
The teacher replies, “I don’t’t know can you?” What the teacher is saying, is that by your asking the question in that manner, you’re not asking permission, but rather whether you are able to go to the bathroom. May, is the verb that is asking permission. In the above example, instead of saying “can I”, you are supposed to say “May I”. This means “will you allow me to”.
Also, it's good that Shu disambiguates the two meanings of "I like candy more than you".
♂♥♂♀

Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote: 02 Sep 2021 22:00
Larryrl wrote: 01 Sep 2021 18:31 TO BANK DUPŶKE LUPŶKE

Cool, so you have a word for "band". Also, I see you have the verb "to bank", but what about the noun "bank"? I can't find that in your dictionary.
"GEMO" is bank. I just modified my grammar today and uploaded a new 109 page PDF file. I added bank today, after My revised grammar, but have not had time to upload the revised grammar. Will get it uploaded again tomorrow. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Copied my 2nd column from my spreadsheet, that has my present/still tense words and also has my nouns and other parts of speech. I dumped those into a text file, and Wrote a small basic program to open the file and analyze it. I ran it many times, checking how many words began with a certain letter. When I found the letter that was used as the beginning letter the least, I sorted my lexicon, putting it in order according to the words in that 2nd column. It turns out "C" was the letter used the least to start words with, so I replaced it with "pr". Then, that freed "C" up for making it another present tense verb marker. So now we have "B, C and D" for present tense indicators. Of course that changed some words like "at", which was "ce" and is now "pre". The new version of the grammar is uploaded. [:D] That is the last verb tense indicator I can make from my existing alphabet, so I might look to see what other sound I might like to include, and what letter I'd use for it, to male a third choice for a past tense verb marker.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I must point out, that any names beginning with "ch" which is my "c", did not get modified. I left them as is. Furthermore, I added 1 extra unicode character "ť" which is t with a caron mark above it. It is for the consonant combination "tr" which in the IPA is "tr". I made that to be the third past tense marker consonant, to begin verbs with. Then I added "shp" and sht" which are "ʃhp" and "ʃht" in the ipa, and are "Ŝ" and "Ş" in the lexicon, Just to have an easy to pronounce but different sound. I notice on omniglot, in the language index, they have some languages that have some consonant clusters where three consonants together make a sound, and a poor country boy like me has no clue how to pronounce that sound represented by whatever letter they show for it.

I want Shu to be as easy as some of those are complex. Now that I have 3 present tense and 3 past tense indicator consonants, it gives it a variety, and it doesn't all sound the same. Before, it was "b" or "d", "k" or "l". Now it is "b", "d", or "c" and "K", "l" or "ť". [:D]

Also, I replaced the "sht" and "shp" clusters in my lexicon with the two letters that represent them. There is at least one "sht" combination that did not get translated. It is in the word "tashto", which means "December". The word "to" means month, and every month name in Shu ends in to. Also, every name for the day of the week ends in "ta", because "ta" is the word for "month".
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu