What I have been working on

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Re: What I have been working on

Post by Axiem »

Larryrl wrote:As someone showed me in a youtube video, if it is not going to happen in the future, and it has not already happened in the past, then it must be happening now, so a language really does not need a present tense verb ending.
This isn't entirely the case, though. In English, we use the present tense to discuss things like the habitual: "I eat every day". We also sometimes use the present tense when telling a story about something that happened in the past: "So I walk into the bar, and you'll never guess who's there! It's Steve, who's pointing a gun at me and claiming that I'm sleeping with his wife".
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Larryrl wrote:I just wonder how confusing it would be if I left out the present tense verb ending? As someone showed me in a youtube video, if it is not going to happen in the future, and it has not already happened in the past, then it must be happening now, so a language really does not need a present tense verb ending.
I suspect that out in the wild, a language really does not need any of the verb endings you're opting for. It's not like a speech community calls a town hall meeting and says, "OMG, we so need a past tense and we're going to mark it with '-ed'." These things arise organically, collectively subconsciously, and metapsychologically over time, so different languages have different TAM strategies all over the board of what, I guess, a human brain can handle. To that end, certain patterns can probably be drawn (humans seem to want to talk about what happened yesterday, last week, or just now), but hard and fast rules not so much (ergo, they need a past tense).
The primary objective with this language is that it must be easy to use.
It sounds like, as a language creator, you are calling your own town meeting and making these calls, which is what language creators do. But you could easily and unconfuddlingly collapse your present tense, and imperative and infinitive moods into one without batting an eye. Or collapse the future, conditional, and imperative. Or just as easily something else, and it would not impede ease of use beyond your own understanding (or that of those you would have learn this) of "easy to use".
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Lao Kou wrote:
Larryrl wrote:I just wonder how confusing it would be if I left out the present tense verb ending? As someone showed me in a youtube video, if it is not going to happen in the future, and it has not already happened in the past, then it must be happening now, so a language really does not need a present tense verb ending.
I suspect that out in the wild, a language really does not need any of the verb endings you're opting for. It's not like a speech community calls a town hall meeting and says, "OMG, we so need a past tense and we're going to mark it with '-ed'." These things arise organically, collectively subconsciously, and metapsychologically over time, so different languages have different TAM strategies all over the board of what, I guess, a human brain can handle. To that end, certain patterns can probably be drawn (humans seem to want to talk about what happened yesterday, last week, or just now), but hard and fast rules not so much (ergo, they need a past tense).
The primary objective with this language is that it must be easy to use.
It sounds like, as a language creator, you are calling your own town meeting and making these calls, which is what language creators do. But you could easily and unconfuddlingly collapse your present tense, and imperative and infinitive moods into one without batting an eye. Or collapse the future, conditional, and imperative. Or just as easily something else, and it would not impede ease of use beyond your own understanding (or that of those you would have learn this) of "easy to use".
I do not know how to do anything unconfuddlingly [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

OK so made some changes. First I wrote a simple program to count the length of each word and keeping the longest of them to display to me on the screen. So the longest word written is 7 letters. So I decided to make the language to be written vertically starting on the top line of the lined paper, so then it goes left to right with each word starting at the top line. Then you move seven lines down from the top of the word, and then skip one more for space, and start back at the left side of the page again. That won't allow as many words per page as writing it left to right using each line, but it looks way cool.

So the word Alright or OK, is written like this

C
H

Which is Choha

7 lines are reserved for the words to be written, however if you already know what you wish to write, and you know the lengths of the words involved, you could get by with fewer reserved lines. This would help get more words per page.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

OK, so I changed the affixes so they are all somewhat different from the regular alphabet characters, eve if the only have a curcuimflex (roof) on top.
these are the new affixes.
Spoiler:
SUFFIX SPELLING USE PRONUNCIATION
Ĉ Ĉɑʊ PRESENT TENSE LIKE THE WORD CHOW
Б Бɑʊ PAST TENSE LIKE THE WORD BOW
Ж Жɑʊ FUTURE TENSE LIKE THE MOW IN THE COUNTRY SONG ELVIRA
Ĵ Ĵɑʊ CONDITIONAL MOOD LIKE THE JOW IN THE WORD JOWL
Ю Юɑʊ IMPERATIVE MOOD LIKE THE ENGLISH WORD COW
Ψ Ψɑʊ INFINITIVE MOOD LIKE THE WORD YOW
Ď Ďɑʊ POSSESSION / ADJECTIVE LIKE THE WORD DOW ADDED TO A PRONOUN TO SHOW POSSESSION
И Иɑʊ PLURAL LIKE THE WORD NOW
Ŧ Ŧɑʊ TOOL LIKE THE TOW OF THE WORD TOWEL
ƒ ƒɑʊ FEMININE LIKE THE FOW IN FOWL
Š Šɑʊ SLANG EXPRESSION OR EXPLETIVE LIKE THE WORD SOW
Þ Þɑʊ TERM OF ENDEARMENT LIKE THE WORD POUCH WITHOUT THE CH
Ĝ Gɑʊ MACHINE LIKE THE "GOU" IN THE WORD GOUGE
Ř Řɑʊ ADVERB LIKE THE THE WORD ROWDY BUT WITH A TRILLED R
Њ Њɑʊ INLAW LIKE THE WORD HOW
Ł Łɑʊ ONE WHO DOES WHAT THE ROOT WORD EMPLIES LIKE THE LOW IN ALLOW
Ŵ Wɑʊ REGULAR NOUN LIKE THE WORD WOW
Ŷ Ŷɑʊ OBJECT NOUN LIKE THE WORD YOW
Ђ Ђɑʊ OPPOSITE LIKE THE WORD THOU
Φ Φɑʊ PERSON LIKE THE FRAU IN THE GERMAN WORD FRAULINE
Ŝ Ŝɑʊ GERRUND VERB (ING) LIKE THE SHOW IN THE WORD SHOWER
Π Πɑʊ NUMERAL LIKE THE STOU IN THE WORD STOUT
It is important to note that the column for spelling, is how it would be spelled as it sounds, however the /ɑʊ/ while spoken, is never written This is so we do not need the Ŭ at all, and thus I removed it from the alphabet. Also the zh character for double consonant has changed to Ž.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Larryrl wrote:OK, so I changed the affixes so they are all somewhat different from the regular alphabet characters, eve if the only have a curcuimflex (roof) on top.
Spoiler:
Ď Ďɑʊ POSSESSION / ADJECTIVE LIKE THE WORD DOW ADDED TO A PRONOUN TO SHOW POSSESSION
It is important to note that the column for spelling, is how it would be spelled as it sounds, however the /ɑʊ/ while spoken, is never written This is so we do not need the Ŭ at all, and thus I removed it from the alphabet. Also the zh character for double consonant has changed to Ž.
Erm, in real life Π is /p/, Ю is /ju/, Њ is something like /nj/, Ђ is /dʑ/ and Ж is /ʒ~ʐ/.
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Frislander wrote:
Larryrl wrote:OK, so I changed the affixes so they are all somewhat different from the regular alphabet characters, eve if the only have a curcuimflex (roof) on top.
Spoiler:
Erm, in real life Π is /p/, Ю is /ju/, Њ is something like /nj/, Ђ is /dʑ/ and Ж is /ʒ~ʐ/.
You are absolutely right, but just because some natlang uses them one way does not mean I can't totally change what they are. This happens because of a shortage of symbols in excel and word, There was not a decent K with a diacritic I felt comfortable using. I chose Π because it looked like a square n. If you have any suggested replacements that might work a little better, I'd be more than happy to consider them. Truthfully this is hopefully the last thing to get right, as the vocabulary is already in place. I might have to add a few words that may not be in the vocab list, but that is just with trial and error by writing in and and seeing what is lacking.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

The new endings whether they stay the same or get modified again, they will definitely be only one character and will be pronounced as I have previously stated. This is important so as to keep down the length of the words. Instead of a consonant and the u breve, we can just have a single consonant which is pronounced like itself plus the ɑʊ sound. After all, what good is a language that would get only like 80 words per page? Not much. this way I get at least 120 to -240 words per page depending on college rule or wide rule notebook paper, and depending on how wide you make your letters.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Larryrl wrote: You are absolutely right, but just because some natlang uses them one way does not mean I can't totally change what they are
Um, actually, it's not just "some" natlang; it's a number of languages representing hundreds of millions of speakers.

The general recommendation is to avoid "totally changing" the phonemes a letter represents from the usual expectation, largely because it impedes communication and learning. Not to mention being totally confusing!
This happens because of a shortage of symbols in excel and word
My understanding is that Excel and Word are fully Unicode-compliant, which means that there should be plenty of symbols available for you to use.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Axiem wrote:
Larryrl wrote: You are absolutely right, but just because some natlang uses them one way does not mean I can't totally change what they are
Um, actually, it's not just "some" natlang; it's a number of languages representing hundreds of millions of speakers.

The general recommendation is to avoid "totally changing" the phonemes a letter represents from the usual expectation, largely because it impedes communication and learning. Not to mention being totally confusing!
Someone shudda told Sequoya...

While you have a valid point, he is actually working on an invented language. And unless I missed a memo somewhere along the way, he can choose whatever bloody symbol he wants for any sound he wants to apply it to! :roll:

Of course, you are quite right about impediments to communication and confusions abounding: he should also be clear what the symbol actually means, ideally placing it alongside an IPA realisation as well as a reasonable romanisation.

All this being said, the greater the departure you make with various letter-forms, Larryrl, the less likely I would be to try and read it or understand any of it. This is why we typically show off our conlangs in simple romanisation scheme rather than in native script.
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

elemtilas wrote:
Axiem wrote:

Someone shudda told Sequoya...

While you have a valid point, he is actually working on an invented language. And unless I missed a memo somewhere along the way, he can choose whatever bloody symbol he wants for any sound he wants to apply it to! :roll:

Of course, you are quite right about impediments to communication and confusions abounding: he should also be clear what the symbol actually means, ideally placing it alongside an IPA realisation as well as a reasonable romanisation.

All this being said, the greater the departure you make with various letter-forms, Larryrl, the less likely I would be to try and read it or understand any of it. This is why we typically show off our conlangs in simple romanisation scheme rather than in native script.
I understand what you are saying. The newly modified affix list is as follows
Spoiler:
SUFFIX USE PRONUNCIATION
Ń PRESENT TENSE Ńɑʊ LIKE THE WORD NOW
Ŝ PAST TENSE Ŝɑʊ LIKE THE SHOW IN THE WORD SHOWER
Ĵ FUTURE TENSE Ĵɑʊ LIKE THE JOW IN THE WORD JOWL
Ś CONDITIONAL MOOD Śɑʊ LIKE THE ENGLISH WORD FOR A FEMALE PIG
Ř IMPERATIVE MOOD Řɑʊ LIKE THE ENGLISH WORD ROW
Ĝ INFINITIVE MOOD Gɑʊ LIKE THE "GOU" IN THE WORD GOUGE
Ď POSSESSION / ADJECTIVE Ďɑʊ LIKE THE WORD DOW ADDED TO A PRONOUN TO SHOW POSSESSION
Ĉ PLURAL Ĉɑʊ LIKE THE WORD CHOW
ƒ FEMININE ƒɑʊ LIKE THE FOW IN FOWL
Ř TERM OF ENDEARMENT Řɑʊ LIKE THE THE WORD ROWDY BUT WITH A TRILLED R
Ĥ INLAW Ĥɑʊ LIKE THE WORD HOW
Ł ONE WHO DOES WHAT THE ROOT WORD EMPLIES Łɑʊ LIKE THE LOW IN ALLOW
Ŷ OBJECT NOUN Ŷɑʊ LIKE THE WORD YOW
Ť OPPOSITE Ťɑʊ LIKE THE TOW IN TOWER
Ŵ GERRUND VERB (ING) Wɑʊ LIKE THE WORD WOW
Б ABLE TO Бɑʊ LIKE THE BOU IN BOUGH
Also, you can use it romanized as I have taken out the dashes and reworked the vocabulary so that no word is over 3 syllables, or over 8 letters except when it needs an affix. I hope this will be better as far as the affixes list goes. I tried to romanize it where it would look and sound ok. Please, if it is still confusing point out to me the exact parts I need to fix. That is the only way I will learn and grow as a conlanger.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Here are some sample questions will post more as I progress.
Spoiler:
ENGLISH

1 YOU CAN LEAD MAN TO RESTAURANT BUT CANNOT MAKE HIM TO PAY THE BILL
WRITTEN: YRW BJVБ LFW PR BSY LO YRW WCKБ LHNĜ HFĎ SYFĜ KO HR
SPOKEN: YURIWU BUJAVEБ LOFAWU PERI BUSIYU LO YURIWU WUCHOKAБ LOHANEĜ HAFAĎ SIYUFAĜ KO HARI

2 WHAT IS THE TIME
WRITTEN: RQF KCŃ K CDS?
SPOKEN: RIQUEFA KOCHOŃ KO CHODOSI?

3 CAN YOU HELP ME FIND MY HOTEL
WRITTEN: Q YRW BGKБ N BCKĜ NĎ KNJ?
SPOKEN: QUE YURIWU BUGAKOБ NE BUCHOKOĜ NĎ KONEJA?

4 THE CAT WALKED ( TO) UNDER THE TABLE
WRITTEN: L KŽ JHŜ CGC L CBJŶ
SPOKEN: LO KOŽ JAHAŜ CHOGACHO LO CHOBUJAŶ
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Larryrl wrote:Here are some sample questions will post more as I progress.

SPOKEN: YURIWU BUJAVEБ LOFAWU PERI BUSIYU LO YURIWU WUCHOKAБ LOHANEĜ HAFAĎ SIYUFAĜ KO HARI
Cool.

So, how does this all work together? I guess your next step here should be to give us an interlinear, showing which word means what and what its part of speech is.
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

elemtilas wrote:
Larryrl wrote:Here are some sample questions will post more as I progress.

Cool.

So, how does this all work together? I guess your next step here should be to give us an interlinear, showing which word means what and what its part of speech is.
This particular sentence works like this:

YURIWU = You (pronoun)
BUJAVEБ = lead plus the can / able to affix (verb)
LOFAWU = man (noun)
PERI = to (preposition)
BUSIYU = restaurant (noun)
LO = but (conjunction)
YURIWU = you (pronoun)
WUCHOKOБ = not plus the can / able to affix (verb)
LOHANEĜ = to cause which is cause plus the infinitive verb mood ending (verb)
HAFAĎ = him )pronoun)
SIYUFAĜ = to pay which is pay plus the infinitive verb mood ending (verb)
KO = the (article)
HARI = bill (noun)

Btw never done an interlinear before, but I can at least put the parts of speech in my tables before I turn the word list into a pdf file. I had a whole grammar booklet in the works, but now I gotta modify it heavily as I changed all of the words as I previously mentioned, and also because I went back to writing left to write like we do in English. the whole up and down thing was not working so well for me. [:)]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

This is the location where you can download my grammar and dictionary and play around with it. I hope I can get some feedback as to how well it is going.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38m8mje4wnxs3 ... R.pdf?dl=0
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Well, now I am adding words like crazy. that is the only way to make ckdk a better language. The 9 page grammar, is now 15 and with the dictionary added on, it's over 60 pages. My little baby language is now a teenager :mrgreen: Lol. Once you start making up sentences, you find out just what words are missing from the dictionary.

I have only been working on conlangs since around 1994, and will admit to not knowing some things, but my grammar is small because I do not talk about what I do not know. Some conlang authors talk about something being dative, or nom however it is spelled. I'm sure some of the english words in my dictionary are in some of those forms but I have no idea which ones, or what the nom and dative actually are.

The link to the grammar can be found in a previous post. Take a look at it, and tell me what you think, good or bad.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Now, I've run in to a bit of a snag. I am having trouble finding a way to convert names into my language. Do I ask people to pronounce the names as they would in English or another language as loan words, or do I get a l large list of names, and just make up new words for each name? I m not sure how I will do it.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Larryrl wrote:Now, I've run in to a bit of a snag. I am having trouble finding a way to convert names into my language. Do I ask people to pronounce the names as they would in English or another language as loan words, or do I get a l large list of names, and just make up new words for each name? I m not sure how I will do it.
I had this problem a while ago with an earlier language. The solution is to imagine a native speaker of your conlang is hearing the name. Say they've never heard or used some of the sounds in it. What is the closest sound to it that they would hear? Take the name "Steve". In my current sonlang, ther is no sound. The closest I have is [ʃ]. I can't have a [st] cluster, but I can have [ʃr̆], so I'd use that as it is the closest I can get. I can have the long [iː]. then there's no [v] and the closest is [ð]: [ʃr̆iːð] or "ʃriið" with my romanisation.

The thing with names is because they are proper nouns, they don't really work like other words which can just be translated. You need to figure out how a native speaker would pronounce the name and take your name from that.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

OTʜᴇB wrote:I can't have a [st] cluster, but I can have [ʃr̆], so I'd use that as it is the closest I can get.
What about an epenthetic high-vowel?
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Frislander wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:I can't have a [st] cluster, but I can have [ʃr̆], so I'd use that as it is the closest I can get.
What about an epenthetic high-vowel?
That would also work, yielding either [ʃɪt] "ʃit" or [ʃiːt] "ʃiit", though I doubt a person would hear [st] and decide there is a vowel there.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner