How Do YOU Create Words?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: How Do YOU Create Words?

Post by elemtilas »

Pabappa wrote: 03 Jun 2018 21:47 if you feel like a more hands-on method of word generation, you could buy a few of these and put 'em in a box where you shake it with the lid closed and then pull out a few blindly. Could have vowels and consonants in seprate boxes so you dont end up with e.g. "gtjs" as a word. with enough complete sets, you could also throw out less common consonants so that e.g. youll have much more /p t k/ than /b d g/. cheapers than doing the same thing with Scrabble sets but also takes up more space.
An excellent idea!

You could, similarly, buy some unfinished wood tiles and write only the sounds or syllables of your language on them. They're cheap enough that you could make a set for each invented language. Obviously, you'd need to have some idea of what the language's sound inventory is for this to work well.

Might try this with Erdong. As of now, it is being discovered as Masako and myself are conversing over in the conlang practice thread. This might be an interesting mode of discovery!
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

a long time ago (good for this necropost) I set the semantic primes of my triple S a priori language (1sign=1sense=1sound)...
to create a word it is a question of finding an equivalent of its meaning in semantic primes...
and to appreciate its writing and its sound rendering...
nothing to do with the traditional languages which baptize all things with mouth noise...
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

I simply come up with names off of the top of my head for most words, unless I am stuck, in which case I pull up a dictionary in some other language, and see what their word for that particular word I'm creating is. I usually look at maybe 10-15 languages then find words that I like and make my word a mix of letters from all of them.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu