europidjin? euroblabla? europex?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: europidjin? euroblabla? europex?

Post by Zé do Rock »

PHASE B

(cette blague est sur le Brasil, mais peut être racontée sur beaucoup des pays, je suppose...)

El presidente brasilero visit el presidente boliviano, el trae consigo todo su gabinete. I lufthavnen venter den bolivianske præsident allerede sammen med sine ministre. O presidente brasileiro comessa presentar os seus ministros: das is der Finanzminister, das is der Kultusminister, der Verteidigungsminister, der Justizminister, etc. Then the bolivian president starts with his ministers:
"Sa cest la Ministre des Finances, la Ministre d'Agriculture, la Ministre des Affaires Etrangères, la Ministre de la Marine..."
"Qué dices??? Mereminister??? Ta brincando? Ihr hat ja kaine küste, wie kannt ihr a Marina Minister haben?"

"Look", said the bolivian president, one minute ago you introduced your Minister af Justice and i didnt say anything, so let me finish now!"
---
is - normalement l'infinitif et la forma conjuguée est la même, sauf dans la verbe 'être', qui est 'bi-n' en europan. El trazo en 'bi-n' significa que la N puede ser dejada de fuera si ella no es seguida por vocal. Χρησιμοποιούμε πράγματι τη λέξη «bi-n» στη συζευγμένη μορφή του παρόντος, αλλά ο τρίτος άνθρωπος - για τον ενικό ή τον πληθυντικό - bορεί επίσης να είναι «is».
a - o artigo indefinido é 'a', exceto antes de vogais, onde o artigo é 'un'. A banan, un aple.
la - der bestimmte artikel is 'la', aussa vor vokalen, wo es 'el' is. A banan, el aple.

---

ENGLISH

(this joke is about Brazil, but could be told about quite a few countries...)
The brazilian president visits the bolivian president, he's bringing with him his hole cabinet. At the airport the bolivian president is already waiting with his ministers. The brazilian president begins introducing his ministers: this is the Minister of Finance, this is the Minister of Culture, the Minister of Defence, the Minister of Justice, etc. Then the bolivian president starts with his ministers:
"This is the Minister of Finance, the Minister of Agriculture, the Foreign Minister, the Minister of the Navy..."
"What? Minister of the Navy? Are you kidding me? You dont have a coast, how do you want to have a Minister of the Navy?"
"Look, one minute ago you introduced your Minister of Justice and i didnt say anything, so let me finish now!"
---
is - normally the infinitive and the conjugated form is the same, except with the verb 'to be', which is 'bi-n' in europan. The dash in 'bi-n' means that N can be dropped if it is not followed by a vowel. We use indeed the word 'bi-n' in the conjugated form of the present, but the third person - singular or plural - can also be 'is'.
a - the indefinite article is 'a', except before vowels, in which case it is 'un'. A banan, un aple.
la - the definite article is 'la' except befor vowels, in which case it is 'el'. A banan, el aple.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Zé do Rock wrote: (Thu 19 Jul 2018, 03:36)

Europanto ha no fixo gramatik, no fixo vocabulari, no fix ortografie. Europano ha dat al. Na contrar af esperanto, lu ha non obligator endus pro la diverso gramatico clases. La diferens af Interlingua is ki dat hav non nereglar ortografie, e den Interlingua is a substracto de romanico linguas, durlik europan inclui - auminu teoricli - al europano linguas. La romanico linguas et inglish is la linguas plu fortli representee, mas el otre germanico linguas is oso vidable, e lu ha multi plu slavski mots ki pro exemplo esperanto.

A peculiare fenomen af europan is la vocal-consonante-harmonie. La mouste palavras fini in vocal, ma lus perde ta vocal si nenhuma consonante folo. 'El europano problemas', mas 'el europan instituciones'. Lu is as la franciano 'liaison', mas oni se lu oso na scrivee lingua.
Zé do Rock wrote: 30 Jul 2019 17:00
El presidente brasilero visit el presidente boliviano, el trae consigo todo su gabinete. I lufthavnen venter den bolivianske præsident allerede sammen med sine ministre. O presidente brasileiro comessa presentar os seus ministros: das is der Finanzminister, das is der Kultusminister, der Verteidigungsminister, der Justizminister, etc. Then the bolivian president starts with his ministers:
"Sa cest la Ministre des Finances, la Ministre d'Agriculture, la Ministre des Affaires Etrangères, la Ministre de la Marine..."
"Qué dices??? Mereminister??? Ta brincando? Ihr hat ja kaine küste, wie kannt ihr a Marina Minister haben?"
Good to see you're still trundling along with the project!

It's looking a lot more Germanic anymore. Or rather, even more Europantoish than before! (Good joke, too!)
"Was una fria morning de Octubre, las benchas des park flottantes in eine low fog," begins another episode. Inspector Cabillot quickly escapes the Belgian fog for the South American capital of Paramarange, where all the residents are suspiciously "plumpos als porcadillos" and the buildings are "spickespan blanco mit verde fenestras."
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

elemtilas wrote: 30 Jul 2019 18:36
Good to see you're still trundling along with the project!

It's looking a lot more Germanic anymore. Or rather, even more Europantoish than before! (Good joke, too!)
"Was una fria morning de Octubre, las benchas des park flottantes in eine low fog," begins another episode. Inspector Cabillot quickly escapes the Belgian fog for the South American capital of Paramarange, where all the residents are suspiciously "plumpos als porcadillos" and the buildings are "spickespan blanco mit verde fenestras."[/texta, rea]
Bon, hir la linguas starte converge tu europan... ma la lingua changou no, la proporcion de romanik e germanico vordes is la sam, e den ai meibi 10% de slavski vordes (ai multi plu slavski vordes, ma lus indo-europan, comon tu romanik et/o germanico vordes). Dat was no mai desicion, ai minu slavski vordes ki romanik e germanico vordes coze lus ha plu linguas, e la plu linguas oni ha, la plu minim is la chanse ki lus acord, e den su influense tu otre europano linguas is plu mini dan el influense du romanico linguas (speciali latin e francian) e germanicus (specialik inglish, clar). Et el otre problem is ki lus ha consonante clustas dat otre linguas ha no, so lus prohibit in europan...

Well, here the languages are beginning to converge into europan... but the language hasnt changed, the proportion of romanic and germanic words is quite the same, and then thare are maybe 10% of slavic words (thare are much more slavic words, but they're the indo-european words, common with romanic and/or germanic words). This wasnt a decision of mine, thare are fewer slavic words than romanic and germanic words because they are more languages, and the more languages you have, the smaller the chance that thay agree, and then their influence on other european languages is smaller than the influence of romanic languages (especially latin and french) and germanic ones (especially english, of course). And the other problem is that they often have consonant clusters that uther languages dont have, so they'r forbidden in europan...
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

PHASE C

This is a scandinavian joke. Pour ces qui ne le savent pas, la finlandais sont très fameux pour être des soulards.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, la soldados finlandeses iban a la frente, hacían su trabajo y tiraban contra el enamigo, por la noche volvían a la pueblo, iban a la bar, tomaban lo que podían y se peleaban hasta perder la conciencia. Συνήθως υπήρχaν πaντa σπaσμένa τρaπέζιa και κaρέκλες, aλλá ένaς aπό τους στρaτιώτες πaντa πλήρωνε το λογaριασμό και ο ιδιοκτήτης ήτaν ικaνοποιημένος.
Um dia eles lutaram contra os russos de novo, retornaram pra cidadezinha, foram pro bar, tomaram todas e brigaram que nem uns doidos. Am ende lagen sie bewusstlos rum, uf und unta den tabeln. In the middle of the nite the russian bombers came and distroyed every hause in town. La village (et la bar) était une seule ruine, il ny avait une pierra sur l'autre. Por la manhana el comandante fué el primero a abrir sus ojos, super mini y super fatigados. Hann leit í kringum sig, sá skemmdirnar, leit í kringum sig aftur og sagði:
"No, no, no! Diese zeche zahl ich nicht alain!"

a - indefinite article is 'a', but the use of articles is not compulsory at all. On peut dire 'Mi vidou la man' (j'ai vu l'homme) ou "Mi vidou man" (j'ai vu homme), comme on peut dire 'Mi hav a haus' ou 'Mi ha haus'.

ENGLISH

This is a scandinavian joke. For the ones who don't know, the finnish are well known for being drunkards.

During WWII, the finnish soldiers went to the front, did their job at daytime, went bak in the evening to the little town, drank as much as they could in the pub and faut quite wildly against each other. Usually there wer always some broken tables and chairs, but one of the soldiers always paid the bil and the owner was satisfied.
One day they faut against the russians again, went bak to the town, went to the pub, drank and faut quite wildly against each other. In the end they lay around unconcius, on and under the tables. In the middle of the nite the russian bombers came and distroyd every house in town. The town (and the pub) became a huge ruin, there was absolutely nothing left. In the morning the comander was the first one to open his small and tired ys. He lookd around, saw the damage, lookd around again and said:
"No, no, no! I wont pay this bil alone!"

a - indefinite article is 'a', but the use of articles is not compulsory at all. You can say 'Mi vidou la man' (i saw the man) or "Mi vidou man" (i saw man), as you can say 'Mi hav a haus' or 'Mi ha haus'.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

PHASE D

Un mec va au docteur et explique:
"Doctor, yo tengo un terrible problem. Uma das minhas bolas é super maior que a outra. Jedesmal wenn ich mit maina freunda sex haben will, startet sie mit dem lachen und stoppt nicht mehr!"
"Cann ik dain aien bidde seen?"
"OK, doctor, but i'll tell you something: si vous riez, je ne montra plus rien!
El doctor promete que va no reirse. Gaurinn takur bolt aút, og, hluturinn er rosalegur. É como uma melancia geneticamente manipulad. Da cann der doctor sain lachen doch nicht untadrüken. He lacht wat dat tüg holt. The guy says:
"Vous avez ri, docteur, je suis super déssue. Yo va no mostrar el mega huevo!"

Terrible problem - o adjectivo vem antes do substantivo.
Va - das is das word für die futur-form, wie im deutshen 'werden'.
Va no - de negacion caamt na dat verb. But generally dere is no order for the adverbs, preferably they should be at the start or the end of the phrase.

ENGLISH

A guy goes to the doctor and explains:
"Doctor, i have a terrible problem. One of my balls is much bigger than the other. When i want to have sex with my girlfriend, she starts laughing and doesnt stop anymore!"
"Can i have a look at your balls, please?"
"OK, doctor, but i'll tell you something: if you laugh, i dont show anything anymore!"
The doctor promises that he wont laugh. The guy takes out a ball, and, well, the thing is really huge, it looks more like a genetically manipulated watermelon. The doctor cant suppress his laughter, and he cant stop it. The guy says:
"You laughed, doctor, i'm quite disappointed. I wont show you the big ball!"

Terrible problem - the adjective comes befor the noun.
Va - thats the word for the future tense, as in english 'will'.
Va no - the negation comes after the verb. But generally dere is no order for the adverbs, preferably they should be at the start or the end of the phrase.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

PHAS E

A propósito, cambié la nombre de la lengua: ella ya no tiene mas la nombre europano, sino EUROPIX.

Dos tipos se pierden en el africana jungle. Poi i due se perdono de vista. Alguns deis depois eles se encontram de novo. Aina von ihnen fragt:
"How was it with you, how you're doing?"
"Je me sens miseral."
"Como eso??"
"Vaig coneixer un gorilla. Ele me violentou varias vezes."
"O, o, das is hard. A reale rason for being depressed... Mais il ne faut pas devenir depressif, sa va passer, avec la temps."
"Si, esto es la peor. U tempu vola, è ellu ùn chjama, ùn invia micca un e-meil..."
---
was - como eu ja disse, o verbo 'bi' tem as sus irregularidees: die vergangenhait is mit 'was': mi was, yu was, li was, nu was, vu was, lis was.
reale - normally adjectives ende with vocal, -e for germanic e slavic adjectives, -o for romanic ones. Mais quelques adjectives de languas latines finissent avec -E, comme 'reale, naturale' - cuando el adjectivo tiene un E na final en italiano, muy probablemente la vocal será un E. Ali E nestaje kad nema suglasnika koji slijedi: A reale problem, la real amig, ta pericle is no real. Na verdad a maioree das palavras acaba com vocal, e perd essa vocal cuando no vem uma palavra depois que comessa com consoant. Der latzte vocal is ain art joca, nur da um die collision de 2 consonanten zu vermaiden, wi die lieson im francian. Europix laikes the vocal-consonante harmony.

Mais il ay des mots avec 2 syllabes qui ne perdent pas sa finale vocall, parce quils deviendraient meconissables, par exemple 'cafe' ne devient pas 'caf', 'tema' ne devient pas 'tem'. Esas palabras tienen el E scrito na diccionario con letras en negrit.

ENGLISH

By the way, i changed the name of the language, its not europano anymore, it is EUROPIX.

Two guys get lost in the african jungle. Then they lose sight of each other. A few days later they meet again. One of them asks the other:
"How was it with you, how you're doing?"
"I feel miserable."
"How come??"
"I met a gorilla. And he raped me several times."
"Oh, oh, thats really hard, a real reason for being depressed. But dont get depressive, you'll forget this, with time."
"Yeah, thats the worst. Time goes by, and he doesnt call, doesnt send me an e-mail..."
---
was - as i said, the verb 'to be' has a few irregularities, the past is with 'was': mi was, yu was, li was, nu was, vu was, lis was.
reale - normally adjectives ende with vocal, -e for germanic e slavic adjectives, -o for romanic ones. But some adjectives from romanic languages end with -E, as 'reale, naturale' - when the adjective has un E in italian, it is very likely that the vowel will be an E. But E disappears when the word is not followed by a word beginning with a consonant: A reale problem, la real amig, ta pericle is no real (a real problem, the real friend, this danger is not real). In fact most words end with a vowel, and lose this vowel when no word starting with a consonant comes after it. The last vowel is a sort of joker, it is just there to avoid a collision of 2 consonants, as the liaison in french. Europix likes the vowel-consonant harmony.

But there are words with 2 syllables that dont lose their final vowel, because they would become unrecognizable, for instance 'cafe' (coffee) doesnt become 'caf', 'tema' (theme, subject) doesnt become 'tem'. In the dictionaries these words would have the E in bold.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

FASE F

Sherlock Holmes e Dr. Watson lähevad telkimisretkele, panevad telgi üles e jäävad magama. Algumas horas depois, Holmes acorda su fidel amigo.
"Watson, guke nach oben e seg mir was du siehst."
Watson replais, "I see milliones of sters."
"Et pour toi, sa veut dire quoi?"
Watson ponder un minuto. "Astronomie parolante, ĝi diras al mi, ke ekziste milionoj galaksioj kaj eble miliardoj planedoj. Astrologicament, signifi pra mim que o Saturno est na Leao. Was die zait betrift, shaint es ungefer firtel nach dri zu sain. Theologically, it is evidente the Lord is all powerful e we are small and insignificant. Meteorologicment, il semble on aura un beau jour demain. E que signifi pra ti?"
Holmes isilik dago une batez, eta gero hitz egiten du.
"Watson, du idiot, een stol uns telt."
Aqui a lista de pronomes possessivos. Zwai fon ihnen han am end ain opcionalen consonant, der fershwindet wenn danah kain vocal commt. Se sünd as jümmer mid en '-' markeert: mai-n, tai-n.

PRONOUN POSSESSIVE PRONOUN
Mi mai-n
Yu tai-n
Li (ela/lo/lu) su
Nu nashe
Vu vashe
Lis su

na - la contraccion de 'in+la' est 'na'. 'Na' como "localizador" existe na portugués, en lenguas slavas y en varios criollos de varias lenguas.

signifi - it infinityf fan it tiidwurd - as it hjoeddeistige - is 'signifi-c', wat betsjut dat C wurdt sakk as a focal net folget. Em derivativos o C sempre est dentro: lu significou (isso significou), a significale progress.

ENGLISH

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go on a camping trip, set up thare tent, and fall asleep. Some hours later, Holmes wakes his faithful friend.
"Watson, look above us and tell me what you see."
Watson replies, "I see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?"
Watson ponders for a minut. "Astronomically speeking, it tells me that thare ar millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Timewise, it appeers to be approximatly a quarter past three. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all powerful and we ar small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will hav a butiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"
Holmes is silent for a moment, then speeks.
"Watson, you iddiot, someone has stolen our tent."
Heer the list of possessiv pronouns. Two of them hav an optional consonant at the end, which disappeers when it is not followd by a vowel. As usual they'r markd with a '-': mai-n, tai-n.

PRONOUN POSSESSIV PRONOUN
Mi mai-n
Yu tai-n
Li (ela/lo/lu) su
Nu nashe
Vu vashe
Lis su

na - the contraction of 'in+la' is 'na'. 'Na' as a "localizator" exists in portuguese, in slavic languages and in various creoles of various languages.

signifi - the infinitiv of the verb - as the present - is 'signifi-c', which meens that C is droppd if a vowel isnt following. In derivatives the C is always in: lu significou (it ment), a significale progress.
Last edited by Zé do Rock on 01 Mar 2020 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

Das is comish, ich marker manche wörder mit fett oder kursiv, aba wenn ich auf 'submit' clik, is nix dafon da. I thought i hav to re-edit it, but it is all ther. Est-ce quil y a quelcun qui sat pourquoi sa ne marcha pas?

Thats strange, i mark some words with bold or italic, but when i clik on 'submit', ther is nothing left. I thaut i hav to re-eddit it, but it is all thare. Is thare someone who knoes why this isnt working?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Zé do Rock wrote: 29 Feb 2020 16:14 Das is comish, ich marker manche wörder mit fett oder kursiv, aba wenn ich auf 'submit' clik, is nix dafon da. I thought i hav to re-edit it, but it is all ther. Est-ce quil y a quelcun qui sat pourquoi sa ne marcha pas?

Thats strange, i mark some words with bold or italic, but when i clik on 'submit', ther is nothing left. I thaut i hav to re-eddit it, but it is all thare. Is thare someone who knoes why this isnt working?
Bold words have to be written like this

Code: Select all

[b]bold[/b]
Which should give bold outside of code boxes.

Italics like this

Code: Select all

[i]italics[/i]
Which should give italics outside of code boxes.

There's also the shortcut in the top left corner of the editing box; select the text you want to change then click the B, I or U for bold, italicis or underlined. I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

Thanks, now i got it: when i wanted bold, i clikd on bold befor and after the word, the result was like this: (i)(/i)possessivos(i)(/i) (i use parentheses heer, the brackets wouldnt appeer in the text), so it was all "neutralized". I had written the text in word and then pasted it heer, so i hav to either rewrite the word(s) between (b) and (/b), or clik on B befor the word, deleet the (/b) befor the word, and then clik on B again, and deleet the (b). Or do you know a better solution?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Zé do Rock wrote: 01 Mar 2020 11:27 Thanks, now i got it: when i wanted bold, i clikd on bold befor and after the word, the result was like this: (i)(/i)possessivos(i)(/i) (i use parentheses heer, the brackets wouldnt appeer in the text), so it was all "neutralized". I had written the text in word and then pasted it heer, so i hav to either rewrite the word(s) between (b) and (/b), or clik on B befor the word, deleet the (/b) befor the word, and then clik on B again, and deleet the (b). Or do you know a better solution?
Click B before the word, then when you finish writing the word, move the cursor to the right of the (/b) and keep writing after the (/b). Or, write the word you want bold normally, then select the word and click B, which automatically puts (b) before the word and (/b) after. Third option, write it out manually on your keyboard; (b) then the word then (/b).

*Obviously all ( ) would be replaced by [ ] when you actually want it bold/italic.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 01 Mar 2020 11:39
Zé do Rock wrote: 01 Mar 2020 11:27 Thanks, now i got it: when i wanted bold, i clikd on bold befor and after the word, the result was like this: (i)(/i)possessivos(i)(/i) (i use parentheses heer, the brackets wouldnt appeer in the text), so it was all "neutralized". I had written the text in word and then pasted it heer, so i hav to either rewrite the word(s) between (b) and (/b), or clik on B befor the word, deleet the (/b) befor the word, and then clik on B again, and deleet the (b). Or do you know a better solution?
Click B before the word, then when you finish writing the word, move the cursor to the right of the (/b) and keep writing after the (/b). Or, write the word you want bold normally, then select the word and click B, which automatically puts (b) before the word and (/b) after. Third option, write it out manually on your keyboard; (b) then the word then (/b).

*Obviously all ( ) would be replaced by [ ] when you actually want it bold/italic.
Yeah, but with the first option i hav to write the text again (or just write it heer, but i'm saving it in word anyway - i could write heer first and then put it on word, but it doesnt save the bolds and italics over. But i think the seccond option works idealy for me. The third one is not realy an option for me, since my keebord doesnt hav brackets.

Thank you!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

You can just automatically find and replace bold formatting with tags in Word.

ctrl+h

click 'more'

click 'format'

click 'font'

click 'bold'

click 'ok'

This should mean that, under 'find what', it says format: font: bold

Then, in the 'replace with' box, type [ b ]^&[ /b ] [without spaces!]

Then click 'replace all'

Then if it asks if it should start at the beginning, say 'yes'

Then click 'ok'

et voila.
Last edited by Salmoneus on 02 Mar 2020 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

Thanks, but the problem is that i dont hav Word, i hav open office, and it dusnt seem to work thare. I had sed Word befor to make things simpler... do you know by chance how it could work in open office?
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Well, have you tried doing exactly the same thing but in open office?

Or, a five second use of google suggests, doing the same but just using & instead of ^& ?

Or, maybe you could download an extension that gives you more and easier find-replace functions - apparently there is one for libreoffice, I don't know if there is one for openoffice?

But really, it would be much quicker I think if you just use google yourself, rather than me doing it.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

I tried to follow the instructions as if i had word, but when i clik ctrl+H, nothing happens.

I dont hav anything like a symbol & on my keebord (i just copied it from your message).

I found an extension to download: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... -altsearch. But i wouldnt hav any idea what to do with it. My technical intelligence is at the level of a moronic chimpanzee. If i had to find a solution by all meens, i'd giv it a try, and probbably it would take me days, but it is not so essential to my life...
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Zé do Rock wrote: 03 Mar 2020 09:18 I tried to follow the instructions as if i had word, but when i clik ctrl+H, nothing happens.

I dont hav anything like a symbol & on my keebord (i just copied it from your message).

I found an extension to download: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... -altsearch. But i wouldnt hav any idea what to do with it. My technical intelligence is at the level of a moronic chimpanzee. If i had to find a solution by all meens, i'd giv it a try, and probbably it would take me days, but it is not so essential to my life...
What type of keyboard layout do you have that doesn't have square brackets or &? I'm interested, I expect there's a shortcut to get to it.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

I hav a german keebord, but i cant remember ever having seen this sign in a brazilian keebord either. I copied it and wanted to google for it, but when i pasted it, it came as & - ah! No, it didnt come as the letter i just pasted, it came as the symbol for 'and', as in "Wright Brothers and co", a sort of funny 8, or an 8 with a skirt. But when i paste it here, this symbol you used appears, like an E and a t together. So are they perfect equivalents? Does your keebord has both symbols? When i google it, i can do it only with my 8-with-skirt sign, and the german wikipedia calls it the 'etzeichen', the "et-sign", not showing the Et symbol at all. In the english wikipedia the Et sign appeers on the rite side as a variant. The symbol is calld ampersand, didnt know that. I tried to find it in portuguese, but i couldnt. In french i found that the word for the symbol is esperlouette, es-per-lou-et, c'est pour le 'et'. And "sometimes the (new) ligature 'Et' is allowd". The ampersand (8 with skirt) is the older variant of Et, that kept changing until it became the 8 with skirt, and Et is a new variant, ware we still reccognize the Et. So i guess in the continent some countrys/languages dont know it or know it but probbably dont use it too offen, i guess it is mor the anglo-saxon culture.

I cant remember ever having square brackets on my keebord. Maybe i hav, after all, but it must be a long time ago.

My keebord is a german one, but as far as i can remember, brazilian keebords dont hav Et sign either (the new variant). Or brackets. If you wanted more specifications, i wouldnt know how i can lern it. I can only write the kees heer:

LOWER CASE
^1234567890ß´
asdfghjklöä#
<yxcvbnm,.-

and of course thare ar the F keeson the top, insert, deleet, etc

UPPER CASE

^!"§$%&/()=?´
QWERTZUIOPÜ*
ASDFGHJKLÖÄ'
<YXCVBNM;:-

WITH KEE 'ALT'

^!²³$%&{[]}\´
@W€RTZUIOPÜ~
ASDFGHJKLÖÄ'
|YXCVBNµ;:-

Oh, now i see the brackets, with ALT! Well, i dont use it very offen (the only thing i cant think of is for showing pronunciation, but i'v always done it with /./.
And the Et symbol is thare, but when i copy it and paste it in word or on the net, it comes as 8 with skirt.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Zé do Rock, I have deleted your most recent post in this thread because it violated House Rule 3 ("Tread lightly around sensitive subjects") by including a racist joke. (I have also deleted elemtilas' reply to that post.) The discussion of how a word that is innocuous in one language can be offensive in another was not in fact an issue, but bigoted jokes are out of the question.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 13 Aug 2020 20:15 Zé do Rock, I have deleted your most recent post in this thread because it violated House Rule 3 ("Tread lightly around sensitive subjects") by including a racist joke. (I have also deleted elemtilas' reply to that post.) The discussion of how a word that is innocuous in one language can be offensive in another was not in fact an issue, but bigoted jokes are out of the question.
No worries, for my part.