Reconstruction Relay

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Corphishy
greek
greek

Reconstruction Relay

Post by Corphishy »

Hello everybody! About 3 years ago, I was apart of this relay project. The idea was to split everyone into two groups, and then make a protolang for each group that the group members would derive into daughters. Afterwords, the teams would attempt to reconstruct the other team's protolang by analyzing the daughters. Unfortunately, the team I was on for some reason or another seemed to lose interest. I am hopeful that such a project could be successful again, however, as the other team did have a protolang produced on time.

Here is my idea: we get everyone together and divide them in half (hopefully an even amount of people join the project). We could make a discord server where each team can communicate with each other while not being seen by the other or perhaps make a forum like the last project (though I prefer the discord option as I feel like it would expedite the process. Feel free to let me know what you think though). Then, each team gets two weeks to construct the protolangs, then everyone gets another two weeks to make a daughter, then each team gets a final two weeks to reconstruct the opposing side. We could make it a competition to see who makes the most accurate reconstruction.

Now, obviously two weeks is not the most amount of time. This is definitely a speedlang project, which is by design so that the teams don't get distracted by the tiny details. Each language I think should have

1) a phonemic inventory
2) a wordlist (perhaps a swadesh list?)
3) a basic grammar (word order, nominal and verbal morphology--enough to make simple sentences)

If any of you are interested, please reply below.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Reconstruction Relay

Post by qwed117 »

hell yeah, I'm up for this!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I'm in. I'm not that used to using Discord, so I prefer other options. This sounds like a really cool idea. I hope there will be enough people to make it fun.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
idov
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by idov »

Sounds rad, and I see no issues with me entering. Consider me in.
The accusative of <emo> is <eminem>. :lat:
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

I'd definitely like to be a part of this!
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

This sounds fun! I've never tried a reconstruction game before, and I think I could come up with a descendant language in such a short time.
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

I'd be down!
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Okay that's 7 people so far including myself. We just need at least one more person to have 2 group of 4. Besides Creyeditor, does anyone have a problem with using discord? I have no idea how to make a forum with channels that only certain people can see, but I do know how to do that with discord.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

Corphishy wrote: 08 Sep 2019 18:23 Okay that's 7 people so far including myself. We just need at least one more person to have 2 group of 4. Besides Creyeditor, does anyone have a problem with using discord? I have no idea how to make a forum with channels that only certain people can see, but I do know how to do that with discord.
My personal preference is for discord I think; might be a bit easier since it's a more immediate platform.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I also have an account, so I could join on discord. As I said, I'm just not that used to it [:D] Of course, I will not oppose a majority decision, if I am the only one.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
CivilixXXX
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CivilixXXX »

As it seems there's a free place, I assume there isn't any problem with me joining the relay? I'd be happy to participate.
/tsʲi¹⁴vʲiː⁵³ʎiks³³ iksʔiksʔiks/
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

So, I've run into a bit of a problem. I am unable to make a channel that I as the administrator am not able to see. I don't want to not be able to play, as kind of the whole reason I wanted to rekindle this project was so that I could play as well. One option I thought of was to get a neutral third party to create the channel instead, and so I am not the creator/owner/admin of the server. Alternatively, we could play by the honor rule that I just won't snoop on the other group, which I promise I will not do, leastwise not on purpose.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

I trust you fwiw, but whichever is most desired for yall is fine by me.
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

I also trust you, and if you can't easily find someone to be the third party, I wouldn't have a problem with you being the admin.
J Reggie
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by J Reggie »

This seems like a really fun relay, but I probably won't have the time to create a language for it. I'll definitely be following it, and if needed I can create discord servers.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

J Reggie wrote: 10 Sep 2019 15:37 This seems like a really fun relay, but I probably won't have the time to create a language for it. I'll definitely be following it, and if needed I can create discord servers.
I feel you, the reason this has gone kind of slowly so far is because I'm budgeting by time between school and other conlanging projects of mine (as well as this one). But yeah, if you want to make a discord server for us with different roles and channels only one or the other team can see that would be swell.

Also, as there are officially at least eight people, I guess I should actually devide you all into the respective groups.

In group A
- Corphishy (me)
- Creyeditor
- this_is_an_account
- CivilixXXX

In group B
- qwed117
- idov
- Zekoslav
- Solarius

Unless anyone here has any objections with such a grouping?
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Sounds interesting.
The forum has been lacking collaborative projects with limited number of participants.
I though think I don't have time just now.
But good luck guys!
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Omzinesý wrote: 10 Sep 2019 20:52 Sounds interesting.
The forum has been lacking collaborative projects with limited number of participants.
I though think I don't have time just now.
But good luck guys!
Well, it wouldn't be fair to people if they joined in midway through. They'd either get less say on the protolanguage, have less time to derive a daughter language, or have less input on trying to decipher the other teams languages.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

I'm ready to go if yall wanna start the servers!
J Reggie
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by J Reggie »

Here's the discord link: https://discord.gg/vjp7Zn7

When you join the server, if your username is different than on here just say who you are so I can put you in the right role. There are only a few channels now but I can add whatever channels people need.