CONLANG RELAY XI

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
brblues
sinic
sinic

Re: CONLANG RELAY XI

Post by brblues »

Thanks for organising, loglorn!

Ring 1 is really a miracle. I didn't even have that hard a task to do since Boral is a Romlang and thus not that far removed from what I'm familar with, I still managed to badly screw up a few things, including the tense structure. And while the torch had already changed massively by the time it reached me, there were still major changes after me.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I have to add that my language is a proto-lang, which is a bit too regular and ignores basically all kind of phonological processes because I put those in the daugherlang(s) - but I still am happy to see what Google Translate thinks it is, despite not being familiar with Hausa at all. Curious that shimo's language right after me also seems to resemble Hausa. Thanks to Iyionaku for that analysis!

Here is my torch - link will unfortunately expire in 30 days, so take it all in while you can, or download [:D]

There were a couple of oversights in the torch, the most glaring being that I forgot to add that /tagosom/ means "to study / learn".
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Iyionaku wrote: 29 Jan 2020 09:07
DesEsseintes wrote: 29 Jan 2020 05:48 Reading the translations, I realise that I completely forgot a whole sentence! I don’t know how but I simply didn’t translate “I’m becoming fashionable” into Sōkoan. So you can thank me for that. [:'(] [xD]
On the other hand, you were able to change the completely meaningless "I want to reach with thirst" that we had since the very start of the relay (I still don't understand how that happened) into something that actually made sense!
That one happened cause modal necessity in Yashuhay is marked by an adverbial that literally means 'thirstily', and even though i wrote about that on my torch actually both of them missed it i think.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
total pleb
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by total pleb »

Wow I missed a lot of nuance present in the Hiding Waters text lol
:con: Balak [ CWS ]
:con: Formanian [ CWS ]
:eng: :mrgreen: | :deu: [:)]

Balâçik yuşadamşar!
Balakia is forever!
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Okay! let's have a look at my most egerius egregious failures: [B)]

but early in the morning > as the sun crosses the sky

the gloss i deciphered was "def.inan.sg sun-loc.fem sky-abl-prolat-loc-constr" and i missed that the ablative here gives the thing an inchoative sense.

constantly travelling > dancing around

ok look. "3.anim-pl hab.consist-move-ind.imp.3pl-nmlz-loc-constr". I admit the dancing was a stretch but hey it stuck around for the entire rest of the relay! [xD]

studying psychology > study demons

this is me forgetting my Greek haha: "spirit-ology" as in psyche, not literally spirits. In my defense i was waylaid my the hateful spirit/soul that appear later. [:D]

she considered my group’s goal an opportunity after having seen it > the rest of my group were thinking about it long after I had finished looking at it

Yeah, I just failed completely at deciphering this sentence haha; I failed to read a section of dzeta's torch properly and only skimmed it which would have helped here.

this says what had been said > we will tell stories about it, to remember

this is me convinced that the pretty contentless original must have some semantic content lol.

I was pretending to suppress my nightmares and to be happy > I must search for my nightmare in order to be happy

I like what happened here enough to not mind that it's very wrong lol. i think in particular i missed a reversing affix, but that's clearly just the surface of the issues here! [}:D] Not sure how i got the purposive "in order to be happy" from the "pretending to be happy" but that's just one of life's mysteries...

Anyway, this was fun! looking forward to the next one this summer (one assumes [:)] )

My whole torch can be found here.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Here’s my torch, in all its flawed and error-laden glory! [:D]

CBB Relay XI - Sōkoan

English Text
Spoiler:
Even though I speak my mother tongue well, when I start the day my prospects with my indigenous speaker are uncomfortable and abnormal. While my friend stayed with me, I travelled all the time; I am sad. I have fun with my girlfriend, but we, she and I, study psychology and go to see the group of shamans, the local guild, and that monster. I believe that she saw an opportunity in the goal of my group. With my girlfriend, I had a great time when we traveled everywhere. I say this even if we miss our home. I feel worn out. I crave getting there. For me, this seems right. I’m becoming fashionable. I tried to be happy and I tried my utmost to suppress my nightmares, but now I am homesick.
Sōkoan Text
Spoiler:
Jjagao bwiigi juruyĕndao kooġoo ffŭnŭyangirergwe, tarĭno tta wŭndŏnŭwe, weren juruffŭnŭsŏbegi giimatoni kaa yatossĭbĭrĭnu sŏmŏrŭnu ppiiwasĭn. Weren nyĕĕkawa yŏŏnze yĕĕbŭttoo kwii, kwerigga gikittariringayoo. Agwa kaa narswissin. Yŭġŭnbe ænzĭrĭnginaa, ararji kaa, wajie agwa ya yŭġŭn, bwiintattargio nottorungi ggyŏsŏsunani ooche ya jurudewe ya ĕĕn fĕyŭro’o jjiwe gewessiringin. Yŭġŭnwa weren oocheni taggio jjinooga chige ssewereo jjininnoo ndan kirittwarĭn. Yŭġŭnbe kaa, neemata gikittarittoo kwii, hĕĕjo ænzĭroo. Ararji bwiigi desshiwa nŭkissirergwe, biin niinio ssĭdarĭn. Hĕĕjo tachissiri suutarĭn. Tererjo kaa witiija teringin. Agwatewe biirŏgŏwa kattarigi hone jaan. Swissirija honeo teringayoo, ŏsŏ weren bŭŭchiwerao ttaġaccuruja hĕĕwoneo teringayoonaa, anu kaa terewa ggirussun.

Grammar
Spoiler:
Phonology

Sōkoan has vowel harmony. Two types of harmony occur in this text. Any morpheme with the archiphoneme /I/ will be realised as follows:
I → i if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of e i
I → ĭ if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of a æ ĭ
I → ŭ if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of ŏ ŭ ĕ
I → u if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of o u
Any morpheme with the archiphoneme /A/ will be realised as follows:
A → a if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of a æ e i ĭ
A → ŏ if the preceding syllable nucleus is one of o ŏ u ŭ ĕ

There is exactly one other morphophonological process in the relay text: h lenites to w in intervocalic position.

Typology

Sōkoan is a topic-prominent, strictly head-final SOV language. In this respect it most resembles languages of the Northeast Asian sprachbund, especially Korean and Japanese. Adjectives precede nouns and adverbs precede verbs or entire verbal clauses. Sōkoan is agglutinative and dependent-marking.

Sōkoan is strongly pro-drop; pronouns and nouns are frequently omitted if they can be understood by context.

Nominal morphology

Sōkoan nouns are not marked for gender or number. Case is expressed by enclitic particles that in this text are written as part of the word.

Nominal compounds are common in Sōkoan with the first noun qualifying the second noun.

Topic particle

The topic particle kaa servers to topicalise a fronted argument. The remainder of the sentence serves as a comment on this topic. Nominal arguments fronted to topic position lose the subject and object particles wa o, so the role of such arguments must be inferred from context. Note that other parts of speech, such as adverbs of time and place, can be topicalised.

Verbal morphology

Verbs are marked for aspect and tense, but not for person. Verb stems are always specifically transitive or intransitive. Furthermore, transitive verb stems are specified for whether the object is animate or inanimate, and intransitive verbs are specified for whether the subject is animate or inanimate. These verb classes are denoted in the glossary as follows:

TA - transitive verb, animate object
TI - transitive verb, inanimate object
AI - animate intransitive verb
II - inanimate intransitive verb

Each verb in the glossary is given with three principal parts relevant to this relay: present, past, conjunctive. For instance:

jjinin, jjinoo, jjini- (TI) - to see (something)

Note that inflected verb forms can serve as qualifiers for following NPs.

Formation of Progressive Aspect

To form the progressive aspect of a verb, the progressive conjunctive form in -rInga is used followed by the auxiliary in. Note that before forms of in starting in a vowel, the final -a of the progressive conjunctive drops.

-ge Construction

The dispositive case particle -ge is used in sentences with two direct object arguments:

A-ge B-o do.X = take A and do B to it

Note on Complex Sentences

Sōkoan does not make use of conjunctions; instead, verbs have a large number of conjunctive forms (converbs) that allow the formation of complex sentences. The simplest way to do this is to use the simple verb stem to form a coordinating clause (‘and’). More complex subordination (cause, contrast, etc.) is formed using different conjunctive suffixes. These are given in the glossary.

Glossary
Spoiler:
Section One - Case and Topic Particles

-be - comitative
-ge - dispositive
-gi - qualifier (turns preceding NP into a qualifier for the following NP; can co-occur with other particles)
-go - instrumental
-nu - coordinating particle (A-nu = also A; A-nu B-nu = both A and B, (with negative:) neither A nor B
-o - accusative
-tewe - as far as X is concerned
-wa - nominative
-we - allative

kaa - topic
ndan - quotative particle
ya - coordinating particle (A ya B = A and B)

Section Two - Other Lexemes

agwa (pron.) - I (1SG)
anu (adv.) - now
ararji (pron.) - we (1PL)
biin (pron.) - this (proximal demonstrative pronoun)
biirŏgŏ (n.) - this way, this course of events
bŭŭ- (prefix) - bad, ugly, frightening
bwii (pron.) - self; I, myself (used as a substitute for the 1sg pronoun)
bwiintattargi (n.) - psychology
chi (pron.) - this (refers to argument in preceding conjunctive clause)
chiwera (n.) - dream
desshi (n.) - home
dewe (n.) - guild
ĕĕn (pron.) - that (distal demonstrative pronoun)
-ergwe (conj.) - although, even though
fĕyŭro (n.) - monster, freak
ffŭnŭn, ffŭnoo, ffŭnŭ- (TI) - to speak
-ga (conj.) - (attaches for past form of verbs) having done X, upon X-ing
geren, geroo, ge- (AI) - to go
giimatoni (n.) - prospect, hope of success
gikittarin, gikittaroo, gikittari- (AI) - to travel
ggirussun, ggirussoo, ggirussu- (AI) - to be cold
ggyŏsŏ (n.) - soul, spirit, ghost
hĕĕ- (prefix) - big, great, extreme
hĕĕjo (adv.) - to an extreme degree, bigly
hone (n.) - shape, condition, situation
honeo tarĭn - to pretend
in, yoo, i- (aux.v.) - to be
-ja (conj.) - (irrealis marker, used to form the future as well as the complement of verbs of desire, etc.)
-ja tarĭn - want to
juru (n.) - locality, place, village
jjagao (adv.) - even though
jjinin, jjinoo, jjini- (TI) - to see (something)
jjirin, jjiroo, jji- (TA) - to see (someone)
jjininnin, jjininnoo, jjininni- (TI) - to see sth as
kattarin, kattaroo, kattari- (II) - to be right, to be correct
kirittwarĭn, kirittwaroo, kirittwarĭ- (AI) - I believe
kooġoo (adv.) - well, skilfully, proficiently
kwerigga (adv.) - constantly, continuously, unceasingly
kwii (n.) - time, time when
-naa (conj.) - but
nar- (prefix) - un-, non-
neemata (adv.) - everywhere, all over
-nIwe (conj.) - when, if
niini (n.) - speech, words, what is said
nŭkissin, nŭkissoo, nŭkissiri- (II) - to be missed, to cause nostalgia
nottorun, nottoroo, notto- (TI) - to study
nyĕĕka (n.) - friend
ooche (n.) - group
ŏsŏ (adv.) - furthermore, what’s more
ppiiwasĭn, ppiiwasoo, ppiiwasĭ- (aux.v.) - not to be any
-rInga (conj.) - (progressive aspect)
-sA (n.) - (suffixed to conjunctive form of verbs to form agent nouns denoting profession) -er
sŏmŏn, sŏmŏroo, sŏmŏrŭ- (II) - to be normal, usual
suna (n.) - mediator
suutarĭn, suutaroo, suute- (AI) - to feel (with the conjunctive of a verb denoting feeling or state)
swissin, swissoo, swissiri- (AI) - to be happy
ssewere (n.) - opportunity
ssĭdarĭn, ssĭdaroo, ssĭdarĭ- (TI) - to say
tachissin, tachissoo, tachissiri- (AI) - to be tired
taggi (n.) - goal
tarĭn, taroo, te- (TI, AI) - to do
tarĭn (n.) - day
tere (n.) - eye
terewa ggissurun - to be homesick (lit. one’s eyes are cold)
tererjo (adv.) - sorely, achingly
tta (adv.) - just, barely; (with a conditional conjunctive:) as soon as
ttaġaccurun, ttaġaccuroo, ttaġaccuru- (TI) - to suppress
wajie (spec.) - that is to say, namely
weren (pron.) - my (1SG.poss)
-wessin, -wessoo, -wessi- (aux.v.) - (indicates joint action/action undertaken together concertedly)
witiin, witiyoo, witii- (AI) - to arrive, to reach (one’s destination)
wŭndŏrŭn, wŭndŏttoo, wŭndŏ- (TI) - to start, to commence
-yangirin, -yangiroo, -yangire- (aux.v.) - to be able to, can, may (attaches to the conjunctive form of a verb)
yatossĭbĭn, yatossĭboo, yatossĭbĭrĭ- (II) - to be comfortable
yĕĕbŭn, yĕĕbŭttoo, yĕĕbŭ- (AI) - to stay
yĕnda (n.) - language
yŏŏnze (adv.) - together
yŭġŭn (n.) - girl, girlfriend; she
ænzĭn, ænzĭroo, ænzĭ- (AI) - to play, to have fun, to have a good time

The End
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

loglorn wrote: 28 Jan 2020 21:20 BEHOLD!
For the results have Arrived!! After a busy Delayuary, we have finally managed to conclude the CBB Conlang Relay XI. The rings were very different but i hope everyone had fun. Enjoy the results.
Thanks for putting all this together!
loglorn wrote: 28 Jan 2020 21:20 brblues: Boral → Proto-Bokisig
Spoiler:

Ki muhe sukomhɛ sasa pimasaʔe, dahɛkanɛʔe, lusomnɛʔe pisaki sama pisa neduhɛnɛ behe. Muhɛ nuzsig gabo sumɛ milmakanɛʔe, mu helbuhɛ. Mu muhe nuzsignɛ sɛhiztun tagosom. Sig xithɛ sɛhiz bosomkusmɛ, sehusigo ʔalsot ʔodasomhusigonɛ ɣiɣmamɛ; hihin ʔiʔaguhɛmɛ! Mu ʔe ɣiɣhekusmɛʔeʔe, mu puhe sakisignɛ ʔe dohɛ lumɛ henomasa, mu henosom. Sa kikihɛ lolo hihin ʔiʔaguhɛmɛ. Sigo tag bolumɛ inudhɛʔagubo, sakisig kalu tagohɛ satus pimasa, damɛhɛ. Sɛ saxɛmhe : mu hihin kenohɛ. Mu gamɛʔu nuhesa samu. Sa bɛl dokisighɛ bɛl kunsaʔe, mu henosom. Mu zizlishɛhɛ, muhɛ behe keno bosomsa samu. Musud hɛ dahɛkanɛʔe, ʔe mu mɛhɛnɛ, sumaku ʔe nolishɛ.

It is possible that he speaks my people’s language well; but as the hours pass, the speech given by the orator is awful and strange. My friends are dancing around but I’m not happy. Me and my friends study ghosts, and we had discovered a hateful spirit, which we then showed to the magicians and the local council – a very enjoyable affair. I think the others as well as me thought about it for a long time after I finished examining it.
We had a lot of fun in this adventure, which we had experienced together. We were going to miss something, but we would (be able to) tell a memorable story. Indeed, I have become very tired; I want my courage to return. I think that this way is the way of my forefathers: I need to search for my bad dream in order to become happy. No matter how true this is, it is inside me and wants to stay with me.
shimobaatar: Proto-Bokisig → Y²KS
Spoiler:

Din ḥun sayyas yijmajulun sīrwēn sīrwamin lib-dayyasulind, mān sīrfanin wē sīrdantaman ḥun sīrumin kējin tē firčiyassantin fiš-mardantind šēdind. Sayyas yubijwēnd fiš-waˤijidis yēkīs cīm-cīmujarrū, mān sē rāfisulaman ˤāḥiswēn yaruḥičmin. Sayyas yubijuland tē sē rulnikījyand dandukīryun. Šu-buludadantaman rulnikījaman miccanēwulun, ya ḥun šu-ḫāsējamyand tē nīlāman lūḥējmajulun wilyasušakīrmin; šuḫa lib-yānḫēr-yānḫērsulaman yēwuša! Šu-sayyas ḥunyas šiḥinnēwulun, sē din yitsadijamyand tē sē ḥun fiš-yintāman šēdaman dinidyuywašakīrmin diniddōḥičmin. Šuḫayyin jēlḫērīn ḥōyifanīn lib-yānḫēr-yānḫērsulaman yēwuša. Ya din fis-suwidantind šēdind kēšukīrmi, mān din ya kurkawīn wē yijamyand ḥun fiš-kādind šēdind sāḫujarrūmin kurkawwakīrmin lib-dayyasulind lōy-ya. Šuḫa sājarsulaman ˤāḥiswēn jinaywamin: sē dārum-dārumḫufsulīn yaruḥičmin. Din sē adī fiš-yitsadind šēdind bōtwaḥičmi lib-wuffusulind lōs-sē. Sē din šuḫayyin kiwajirīn lib-yēs rajijuland kiwajirulun yēywa diniddōḥičmin. Lōr-rāfisulaman yarnēwulun, din sē sayyas təbildaywēn dārumwilfanwēn miccaywaḥičmin lib-wuffusulind lōs-sē. Šuḫa lif-sājarsulind yēywa, mān ḥun fis-sē yēwu tē ḥun surinēyyin kāsumin.

It's possible that they speak my nation's language, but as time passes, the sermon that the orator is giving is becoming strange and frightening. My friends dance back and forth in place, but I'm unhappy. My friends and I study ghosts. After finding the hateful ghost, we showed the priests and the town council; it was very fun! I think that, after I examined it, other people and I thought about it for a long time. That group adventure was very fun. We will miss something in the future, but we will be able to tell the story that people will always remember. It's not untrue: I'm very tired. I need to be brave again. I think that that way is the way of our forefathers. In order to be happy, I need to find my nightmare. While this may be true, it is inside of me, and it wants to stay.
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised by how I did! Thanks again to brblues for answering my questions. It was a pleasure getting to work with Proto-Bokisig. [:)]
alynnidalar wrote: 28 Jan 2020 22:30 Ring 1 went wild. Props to my extremely literal translation of the metaphor for bravery!!
Yeah, haha, I included a note about that, but I think it ended up being at the very end of the torch, so I wondered how things would turn out.
J Reggie wrote: 29 Jan 2020 03:14 I can post the unused torch if anyone's interested in seeing it
Sure! [:D]
Iyionaku wrote: 29 Jan 2020 10:50 brblues - Proto-Bokisig: Hausa
shimobaatar - Y²KS: Hausa
Interesting!

For Ring 2:

loglorn - Yashuhay: Igbo
ixals - Zhér·dûn: Vietnamese
davush - Uuxh: Hmong
Dormouse559 - Silvish: Corsican
jute - Jutean: Maori
Click - Modern Umbrian: Corsican
J Reggie - Choroze: TBD
Creyeditor - Kobardon: Esperanto

Although I was able to improve our language by learning local languages in evening classes, I was not happy with my native language. My friend who was with me also claimed my pain.
He had the opportunity to present his policy, under the authority of the Arcane Council, on the Magi and the people themselves.
Finding the house was ours, let's go.
Your bride is longer than we are.
Although we are local, I don't feel like anyone. He said, "We're home." He was right: last night I changed clothes when it came to texture, but was very active in my long work.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I'm really proud of myself, this time I was able to retrieve the torch almost literally. Of course it was easy as Weddish is a Germlang, but I still managed to screw it up in the past [:)]

Here is my torch:
Spoiler:
:con: Yélian

Cùs tyafaipalai reo palitínalán, der yipéredai æn’ilvat reo ʻilvion fecun reo palorstatas cemayzúnècegarbut. Fum reo ʻifran yaistet fecun rat, yilorenai at paniys pès maniys; re vutret, re merubai. Bai æ’tànsa fecun reo gima, cut renó, ta è re, vinuest æ’zagatoyo èpa curest pès yantad o’yamán, pès tuivedstatas è vat tsapis. Letarai pi yivalet piyrasé cu eze reo o’yantad. Fecun reo gima, yitànseyai nat yilorenest pès abolnúm. Re bicai natú durest renim pilat. Iapetai cet sanyicacan. Ivæzai fecun cefúi. Can rat, vat quadalébit; yinasbocai. Yiværyelvénasbai èpa værpròstniypciyái reo parugaron, cut carat bai æ’ceniné.

Yélian is an agglutinative, partly fusional language. It's strongly head-marking: while nouns are rarely inflected, verbs are heavily inflected. The basic word order is SVO if you use the direct inflection of verbs, but de facto OVS if you use the inverse inflection. The inverse inflection can also add a passive sense to a statement. There are no independent adjectives and only a few independent adverbs: Most of the time they are directly connected to there corresponding verbs and nouns. Adjectives always follow the noun, while adverbs always precede the verb. Verbs can have quite extensive chains of prefixes that are filled with a slot system (see below).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nouns

Nouns have one of three genders which are marked by a definite article before the noun. If the noun is indefinite, there is no marking. When a preposition precedes the noun, there is no definite article.

- Animate gender for all humans, animals, body parts and a few more, clitic a': a'broya (the man), broya (a man).
- Inanimate gender for inanimate, but real objects and plants, clitic u': u'tomun (the path), tomun (a path).
- Conceptual gender for the remainder of nouns, clitic æ': æ'sèrvis (the service), sèrvis (a service).
- If a noun starts on a vowel, the definite article is an', un' or æn' instead.

There are four numbers: The singular is unmarked, the dual (only used for natural pairs like eyes, legs, shoes etc.) is marked by the suffixes -m or -em. The plural is usually marked with -n or -an, but there are a lot of exceptions. You should keep one exception in mind because it appears in the text:

æ'garos - the shadow; æ'garon - the shadows

The collective plural is formed with the suffixes -ó or -mé (only used in pronouns in this text).

The genitive is formed with the clitic o' before the noun. The possessee precedes the possessed here. Example: îyi (child) + naku (fire) --> îyi o'naku (child of the fire).

There is a specual enumerative case that is used for counting. It is formed with the suffix -i (after consonants) or -ʻi (after vowels) after the noun; the numeral comes after the noun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Verbs

Verbs are extensively inflected by person, number and clusitivity (doesn't appear in the text). Verbs can have one of six declension patterns, consisting of voice (direct or inverse) and mood (indicative, jussive, conditional). Only the indicative appears in the text, and only in the direct declension, so I will only name the suffixes used for indicative-direct. The example verb is laca - to hit:

Lac-ai (I hit)
Lac-ei (You hit)
Lac-et (He/She/It hits)
Lac-en (We hit, inclusive)
Lac-est (We hit, exclusive)
Lac-ein (You hit)
Lac-ʻi (They hit; the ʻ is omitted if the verb stem ends on two consonants)

A few verbs have slightly differing declension patterns, for the text relevant are especially verbs ending on -ia. But I think you'll find out.
There are a few entirely irregular verbs, including balia (to be), which also serves as a header for stative adjectives, and biylra "to have". You should remember three forms:

bai means both "I am" and "I have"; you have to find out from the context what it is. Small hint: In this text, whenever it's a standalone word it means "I have", in longer verb forms it's usually "I am".

bit/but both mean "(he/she/it) is", while "bit" is used for animate objects and "but" for inanimate objects. If it's combined with the demonstrative vat, however, "bit" is used.

The dictionary form of a verb is its active nominalized form, marked with -a after the verb stem (hence "laca"). The gerund is formed by the suffix -ts, making a classifier adjective or adverb out of the verb.

There are only two tenses, past (marked by prefix yi-) and future (marked by prefix ro-). Additional moods (like permissive, propositive, necessitative) that would be expressed by auxillary verbs in English are prefixes in Yélian and don't interfere with the verbal inflection (except some moods that trigger the use of the jussive or conditional inflection, but this doesn't happen in the text).

The negative is formed with the prefix ci-, this prefix precedes everything else in a verb form. Adjectives, however, are negated with the prefix ce-.

Pronouns

Subject pronouns can be regularly dropped due to the extensive verbal inflection. Object pronouns are always written and precede the verb. Possessive pronouns always precede the noun they modify, so it's exactly opposite to the formation of the genitive for nouns. Relative pronouns come after the main clause and before the subordinate clause.

There are actually two instances where subject pronouns are used in that text. One is pretty straightforward, the other one uses a vutret-Construction. It's a grammatical rule you don't need to understand in detail; just keep in mind that "X vutret, X..." usually just means "X" with a strong emphasis on the pronoun. So, "re vutret, re" just means "I", essentially.

Classifiers

Classifiers are bound forms on nouns and verbs. There are about 20 nominal classifiers and more than 100 verbal classifiers, not counting adjectives and adverbs. I'll only state the ones appearing. Example: oc- is the continuative, indicating that an action is further done. bernei - you walk, ocbernei - you keep on walking. Adjective and adverbial classifiers form the comparative with the suffix -a on them.

There are a lot of assimilation processes between bound morphemes in Yélian that can be so strong that some morphemes are not pronounced entirely and are only traceable by the interference they have caused in the adjacent morphemes. This makes spoken Yélian very difficult to understand, but don't worry! This is almost not reflected in spelling so it's not your concern. Only some assimilations between vowels are actually written. In the text, the following assimilation processes occur:

a + e --> æ
i + a --> ai

I hope this information is enough to understand the text. If you've got any questions, do not hesitate to ask! Below you can find the vocabulary. It's sorted alphabetically and nouns are written without their definite article. A few notes to the order of the alphabet:

Acutes, graves and circumflexes are not relevant for the alphabetical order of a word.
K and Q are considered variants of C, therefore the words are listed under C.
IY is a unique letter and is sorted after i.
Æ is a unique letter and is sorted after Y and before Z.
ʻ is a unique letter and is sorted after z.

Vocabulary

Abbreviations:

n. - noun
v. - verb
cl. - classifier (true classifier, adjective or bound adverb)
adv. - adverb
part. - particle
pr. - pronoun
prep. - preposition
conj. - conjunction
anim. - animate noun
inan. - inanimate noun
conc. - conceptual noun
pl. - plural

abolnúm adv. -- everywhere
alé cl. -- right, correct, acceptable
asta v. -- to stay, to remain
at paniys pès maniys -- "from right to left"; back and forth, on and on, again and again, continuously
bai v. -- 1st person singular form of balia
bai v. -- 1st person singular form of biylra
balia v. -- to be, to be located, stative verb head
bica v. -- to say, to speak
bit v. -- 3rd person singular animate form of balia
biylra v. - to have, to own
boca v. -- to become
but v. -- 3rd person singular inanimate form of balia
can prep. -- for; about; indirect object marker
carat adv. -- now
ce- cl. -- negative prefix for other classifiers like adjectives
cefúi n. conc. -- thirst
ceniné n. conc. -- homesickness
cet prep. -- like, as, just like
cu prep. -- next to; beneath; accompanied by; also: within a timeframe
quad- cl. -- to seem to
cura v. -- to come
cura (pès) v. -- to go (to)
cùs conj. -- although, even though
cut conj. -- but
der conj. -- when, at the time when
dura v. -- to miss
è, èn, nè conj. AND cl. -- and (between nouns and classifiers)
èpa conj. -- and (between verbs)
eza v. -- to reach; to lock (but it means to reach here)
eze n. conc. -- target, destination
fai cl. -- good, well, proficient
fecun prep. -- with; featuring; involving
fum conj. -- while
gar cl. -- normal, usual, ordinary
gima n. anim. -- girlfriend
iapeta v. -- to feel, to sense
ilvat n. conc. -- day
letara v. -- to believe, to think, to feel like
lorena v. -- to travel
mayzú cl. -- cozy; comfortable
meru cl. -- sad, somber, sorrowful
mia num. -- one
nat conj. -- when (at a specific time)
natú conj. -- even when, even if, even though
niypciyia v. -- to minimize, mitigate
pala v. -- to speak
palitínalán n. conc. -- native language, mother tongue
palor n. anim. -- speaker
parugaros n. conc. -- night shade; nightmare, pl. parugaron
péreda v. - to start, to advance
pès prep. -- to, towards; in the direction of; indirect object marker; (in inverse sentences) from
pi conj. -- that, to, in order to
pilat n. inan./conc. -- house; home
piyrasé n. conc. -- opportunity, possibility
pròst cl. -- at the maximum; maximally; absolutely; without a doubt
rat pr. -- 1st person singular oblique pronoun
re pr. -- 1st person singular rectus pronoun
renim pr. -- 1st person plural exclusive possessive pronoun
renó pr. -- 1st person collective exclusive rectus pronoun ("we all")
reo pr. -- 1st person singular possessive pronoun
sanyicacan n. inan -- dull blade; "like a dull blade" = worn out, done, wasted
statas cl. -- local, native, vernacular, indigenious
ta pr. -- 3rd person singular feminine rectus pronoun
tànsa n. conc. -- fun, funny time
tànseya v. -- to have fun, to have a great time
tsapis n. anim. -- creature, monster (more pitying than frightening)
tuived n. anim. -- guild, craft
tya- cl. -- potential mood, roughly "to be able to", or "to have the opportunity to"
vala v. -- to see, to look at
vat pr. -- general singular demonstrative pronoun
vinua v. -- to study
vutret part. -- intensifier for rectus pronouns
vær- cl. -- to try to
yamán n. anim. -- shaman (priest of a cult)
yantad n. anim. -- group
yelvénas cl. -- joyful, happy; confident, reliant
yi- cl. -- past tense
yinas cl. AND adv. -- at the time; fashionable, fancy, chic
æ', æn' -- definite article for the conceptual gender
zagatoyo n. conc. -- psychology
ʻifran n. anim. -- friend, plural ifren
ʻilvio n. conc. -- outlook, prospect, forecast
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Iyionaku wrote: 29 Jan 2020 09:07 By the way, what kind of evil sorcery happened to "the man himself" in ring 1? The highest man, revered by everyone, changed into "that man", then he became a creature, a monster, a hateful soul, and in the end he was merely an angry spirit.
I can shed some light on this. “The man himself” was rendered into Griuskant as <zhae er> literally “that man” but the gloss gave <er> as “creature,” not “man.” I had a tough time understanding much about Griuskant, so I took this position of translating things as literally as I could. It never occurred to be that that was meant to refer bad to some human antecedent.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

total pleb wrote: 29 Jan 2020 14:40 Wow I missed a lot of nuance present in the Hiding Waters text lol
On the contrary, you caught a ton of nuance in the Hiding Waters text!

Perhaps my friend spoke in such a way, but the strange spirits are getting afraid that she is talking to them.

I was excited to see if something like this happened! HW has a classifier that's used for birds, spirits, and also words/speech, and with how much speech and spirits appeared in the text, there was a lot of opportunity for ambiguity.

Also, it occurred to me that my translation cheated—the HW text doesn't actually specify the gender of "my friend", so I ought to have used "they" rather than "she" in the English translation. "She" was a hold-over from Tirina, which obligatorily marked the gender.

Fun how the friends travelling turned eventually into dancing (and it looks like the travelling evolved originally out of "sharing"?). There's this sequence:

Y2KS: My friends dance back and forth in place

Tirina: My friend is dancing pointlessly

Hiding Waters: My friend is dancing without purpose in a far-away, isolated place

Balak: My friend was dancing somewhere in a far off place

The "far-off place" came from Tirina wol nodir pinelos:

an-aperas epaltali sewida nihu wol nodir pinel-os
FEM-dance pointless/unnecessary friend POSS.1.FEM.SG at/in place lone-INAN

Which I realize now wasn't talking about a lone-as-in-lonely place, but a lone-as-in-single place, from Y2KS's "in place"!

Also I'm loving looking through the other torches, thanks for posting them! Here is HW's:

https://hiding-waters.wanderwards.com/cbb-relay-xi.html
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Trailsend wrote: 30 Jan 2020 14:10 Fun how the friends travelling turned eventually into dancing (and it looks like the travelling evolved originally out of "sharing"?)
This was a very fun clause! [:D] Look how it e x p a n d s:
  • [he] shared my sorrows
  • I have shared my sadness before
  • I’m going about, I’m sad
  • I went about; I am sad
  • I travelled all the time; I am sad
  • they were constantly travelling. I am unhappy
  • [they] are dancing around, but I am not happy
  • [they] are dancing around, but I'm not happy
  • [they] dance back and forth in place, but I'm unhappy
  • [he] is dancing pointlessly, but I'm feeling unhappy
  • [she] is dancing without purpose in a far-away, isolated place, but she is irritated
  • [he] was dancing somewhere in a far off place, but he was frustrated
  • [he] was dancing somewhere far, but he was annoyed
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

spanick wrote: 30 Jan 2020 12:31
Iyionaku wrote: 29 Jan 2020 09:07 By the way, what kind of evil sorcery happened to "the man himself" in ring 1? The highest man, revered by everyone, changed into "that man", then he became a creature, a monster, a hateful soul, and in the end he was merely an angry spirit.
I can shed some light on this. “The man himself” was rendered into Griuskant as <zhae er> literally “that man” but the gloss gave <er> as “creature,” not “man.” I had a tough time understanding much about Griuskant, so I took this position of translating things as literally as I could. It never occurred to be that that was meant to refer bad to some human antecedent.
No, you got it right. {zhae er} does translate to "that creature" because there isn't a 1-1 way to translate "man" from ic griuskant to irl English. What loglorn posted as the torch was what I estimated from loglorn's conlang into English, not translated from my conlang text (This was the instruction for this relay. Different relays ask for different types of English translations).
Jackk wrote: 30 Jan 2020 14:15 [*] [he] shared my sorrows

[*] I have shared my sadness before

[*] I’m going about, I’m sad
See above and below. The correct intermediate step of the torch translated from my conlang into English is approximately:
* It has been one of which I requested my sorrow to do a raconteuring of itself before.
loglorn wrote: 05 Dec 2019 15:05 Step-by-step instructions are given below.
  1. Write down an English translation of the text you received.
  2. Translate the text into your conlang.
  3. Compose a short glossary and a grammar summary.
  4. Send a message to the next participant containing 2. and 3.
  5. Send a message to the organizer (me) containing 1., 2. and 3.
Just in case somebody wants to dispute me lol

EDIT: Corrected <> to {}
Last edited by Reyzadren on 31 Jan 2020 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Reyzadren wrote: 30 Jan 2020 15:07 because there isn't a 1-1 way to translate "man" from ic griuskant to irl English.
It sounds like you're telling us your conlang doesn't have a way of expressing one of the most universal notions a human might want to express. Does your conlang really have no way of expressing the ideas of "a human being" and of "male gender"? Choosing a language not spoken by humans (?) seems like a good way to make the relay challenging. [:)]
Just in case somebody wants to dispute me lol
I admire your optimism.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

shimobaatar wrote: 30 Jan 2020 03:15
alynnidalar wrote: 28 Jan 2020 22:30 Ring 1 went wild. Props to my extremely literal translation of the metaphor for bravery!!
Yeah, haha, I included a note about that, but I think it ended up being at the very end of the torch, so I wondered how things would turn out.
I completely missed that! I went back and checked, and yep it's there... my eye just skipped right over it.
Trailsend wrote: 30 Jan 2020 14:10 "She" was a hold-over from Tirina, which obligatorily marked the gender.
This always manages to screw up relays, haha. There genuinely isn't a way to avoid marking gender in Tirina (unless you're using the animate gender, which is in and of itself pretty marked)! So I always just have to pick something and hope for the best. (I try to at least alternate gender to differentiate between what I think are different individuals, but that can lead to weirdness in and of itself, if I screw it up and accidentally split one person into two...)
Trailsend wrote:Which I realize now wasn't talking about a lone-as-in-lonely place, but a lone-as-in-single place, from Y2KS's "in place"!
Ooh I didn't even think of that as a possible interpretation! That's part of the fun of relays, though, it's not just the conlangs to grapple with but English as well!
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Reyzadren wrote: 30 Jan 2020 15:07 No, you got it right. {zhae er} does translate to "that creature" because there isn't a 1-1 way to translate "man" from ic griuskant to irl English. What loglorn posted as the torch was what I estimated from loglorn's conlang into English, not translated from my conlang text (This was the instruction for this relay. Different relays ask for different types of English translations).
Sure, I’m not trying to imply anything untoward about your gloss. Just that the gloss and my translation of it was the first move from “man” towards “evil spirit.”

I also wanna day that I’m pretty happy that Iyionaku as a native German speaker was able to understand Weddisch so easily. I’m doubly happy that Google Translate thinks Weddisch is Frisian and yields a meaningful (albeit hilariously inaccurate) translation. I take both hear hat my design goals for Weddisch have hit close to their marks.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I am really sorry for messing up so much [:S] I think I translated the sentence about "big vacations" but I completely forgot to include it in my torch. I was really stressed about translating the long text in two days. Maybe next time we can either take a shorter text or have a longer regular amount of days for each one to translate.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Creyeditor wrote: 31 Jan 2020 10:56Maybe next time we can either take a shorter text or have a longer regular amount of days for each one to translate.
I agree. I feel this text was quite long for a two-day deadline. It took me three days and a bit to complete.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I feel like it's not necessarily the length of the text - this was quite okay - but more the complexity of it. Maybe a different text genre like a dialog or a manual would already help facilitating the next relay.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

The text was maybe a bit long, true, but i did base it off the previous relay's text's length and most people did do it in two or three days. Relay deadlines are flexible and all. I'll take that into consideration if i organize another relay though.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

gestaltist wrote: 30 Jan 2020 17:02
Reyzadren wrote: 30 Jan 2020 15:07 because there isn't a 1-1 way to translate "man" from ic griuskant to irl English.
It sounds like you're telling us your conlang doesn't have a way of expressing one of the most universal notions a human might want to express. Does your conlang really have no way of expressing the ideas of "a human being" and of "male gender"? Choosing a language not spoken by humans (?) seems like a good way to make the relay challenging. [:)]
There is a word for "humanoid-like" and "male gender" in my conlang. However, I did not interpret the English word "man" from the initial text to mean that, but rather as "person". The closest word for it here is "creature" in my conlang because human(oid)s aren't the only ones speaking it ic though the text is written from the perspective of an ic/irl human.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread