Ceruliado: Iberian Romance Language

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Ceruliado: Iberian Romance Language

Post by All4Ɇn »

This language is one that doesn't involve as much complexities as others I've made. It's meant to just be a fun a little Romance language project [:)]. Ceruliado is an Iberian Romance language and shares a lot of traits with Spanish and Portuguese but also has a few traits similar to Catalan and French.

Phonology/Orthography
/m n̪ ɲ/ <m n ñ>
/p b t̪ d̪ k ɡ/ <p b t d c~qu g~gu>
/t͡ɕ d͡ʑ/ <ch j~g>
/s z ɕ/ <s~ss~ç s~z sch>
/f v/ <f v>
/j ȷ̃ w w̃/ <i i~e u~o u~o>
/ɾ r l̪ ʎ/ <r rr~r l ll>

/i u/ <i u>
/e o/ <e o>
/a/ <a>

/ĩ ũ/ <ĩ~in~iñ~im ũ~un~uñ~um/
/ẽ õ/ <ẽ~en~eñ~em õ~on~oñ~om/
/ɑ̃/ <ã~an~añ~am>

Allophones
/e o/ are pronounced as [ɛ ɔ] if stressed in closed syllables
/ɑ̃/ is pronounced as [ã] before [ȷ̃ w̃], [ȷ̃ã] after [ĩ ẽ], and [w̃ɑ̃] after [ũ õ]
/d͡ʑ/ is pronounced as [ʑ] between vowels
/l̪/ is pronounced as [ɫ̪] word finally or between two vowels as long as both aren't front vowels
/s/ is pronounced as [z] before a voiced consonant
Word final /s/ is pronounced as [z‿] before a vowel or voiced consonant, [ɕ‿] before /ɕ t͡ɕ/ and [ʑ‿] before /d͡ʑ/
/ɕ/ is pronounced as [ɕɕ] when used in the prefixes des-, dis-, es-, ex-, e.g: eschapar [eɕ.ɕa.ˈpaɾ] (to escape)

Orthography Notes
The orthography for Ceruliado is only slightly less phonetic than that of Portuguese or Spanish. Below are some orthography notes:
Spoiler:
/s/ is represented by <s ç/c sç~sc> based on the word's etymology. Intervocalically, <s> is pronounced as /z/. If <s> would be used for /s/ in this case, <ss> is used instead

/k/ is represented by <c qu>. Unlike Portuguese, <qu> before <a o u> is pronounced as /k/ and is still written despite being pronounced the same as <c>. Before the front vowels, <qu> is always used.

/d͡ʑ/ is represented by <g j> much in the same way the corresponding sounds in Portuguese and Spanish are.

/kw ɡw/ are represented by <qü gu (gü before front vowels)>

<ills> is pronounced as /is/ word finally and stresses the last syllable

<nt(s)> is pronounced as /◌̃(s)/ word finally and stressed the last syllable

<ñ> is pronounced as /◌̃/ word finally and is the most common spelling of word final nasalization. If not at the end of a word, <n m> are used instead based on the etymology of the word. Word finally after a nasal diphthong, <ñ> is completely silent.

<n> word finally is used in the words ben (well), bon (good), con (with), Don (Don), en (in), nin (neither), non (no/not), San (saint), un (one) to signify that phrase finally or before a consonant the ending is pronounced <◌̃> while before a vowel the ending is pronounced as [n̪‿]

<y> occurs only in certain words as a variant of <i> word-finally or intervocalically

Double vowels, while rare, are pronounced as a single vowel such as in álcool (alcohol) /ˈal̪kol̪/ or Santo See (Holy See) /sɑ̃to se/

The prefixes comm-/conn-, emm-/enn-, & imm-/inn- are pronounced as /◌̃m ◌̃n/, e.g: immoral /ĩ.mo.ˈɾaɫ̪/

The suffix -mment is pronounced as /◌̃ˈm/, e.g: importamment [ĩpoɾt̪ɑ̃ˈmẽ]

<ct pt> are pronounced /t̪/

Sex (six) and words from it are pronounced /ses/ while vingt (twenty) and words from it are pronounced [vĩ]
Accent Marks
Acute accents are used almost identically to how they are in Spanish and there are only two exceptions:
-Words ending in diphthongs starting with <i u> place the accent on the vowel before it
-Some words in Ceruliado may receive an accent to disambiguate them from other words in ways Spanish may not (and vice-versa)

Grave accents are only used on <a> and <e> and can serve to show either a contraction or disambiguation. They never indicate the stress of the word, eg:
Aquel (that) vs. àquel (to that)
Se (if) vs. sé (1s present of saber) vs. sè (2s imperative of ser)

The tilde is used to show nasal vowels. It is mostly used for diphthongs but far from always, particularly with -ã and -õ which are both commonly seen at the end of nouns

Phonological Changes from Latin
In addition to the more obvious ones it shares with Portuguese and Spanish, Ceruliado has some more unique consonant changes too:
*cl- *pl- *fl- —> /t͡ɕ/ <ch>
*j- —> /d͡ʑ/ <j>
*c_a *g_a —> /t͡ɕ d͡ʑ/
*scl- *spl- *sc_a —> /ɕ/ <sch>
*-lt- *ct *pt —> /t/ <t>
*-cl- *li —> /ʎ/ <ll>
*gn *ni —> /ɲ/ <ñ>
*-nn- —> /n/ <n>
*-ll- —> /l/ <l>
*x —> /s/ <s~ss>
*a(l)_C —> /ɑ̃w̃/ (happened early on and in many words was replaced with the Latin equivalent)
*-V_les —> /is/ <is>
*-V_los —> /os/
*-iles (stressed on syllable) —> /iʎs/ —> /is/ <ills>
*-ove —> /ow/ <ou>
*-ve —> /f/ <f>

Vulgar Latin /ɛ ɔ/ and /e o/ have merged with [e o] being used in all cases except when stressed in a closed syllable where [ɛ ɔ] are used instead

Nasal Vowels
Generally, *-n- between vowels is dropped and the vowels around it become a nasal diphthong. This is written with a tilde above the first vowel like in Portuguese. If the two vowels are identical, they coalesce into a single vowel. This also occurs for the combinations /ĩẽ ẽĩ~ẽȷ̃/ which instead become /ĩ ẽ/.
*-ano —> /ɑ̃/ <añ~ã> word finally
*-nte —> /◌̃/ <nt> word finally (stresses the syllable)
In a few rare cases, a nasal between vowels may instead result in /ɲ/ between two non-nasalized vowels. This takes place, for example, in the imperfect forms of some irregular verbs: "Lo põ un amigo" (I consider him to be a friend) vs. "Lo poñia un amigo" (I considered him to be a friend)
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 20 Apr 2020 08:18, edited 34 times in total.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Re: Ceruliado: Iberian Romance Language

Post by All4Ɇn »

Some Major Differences from Spanish & Portuguese
Here are just a few important differences between Ceruliado and Spanish & Portuguese. Other differences will be covered in other posts.

Neuter Gender
The neuter gender can be used exactly the same as it is in Spanish: to make abstract nouns out of adjectives, however, in addition to this it is also used alongside some uncountable nouns and as such is treated as a full gender in Ceruliado, despite being significantly rarer than the other two. The neuter gender has the same adjective agreement as the masculine but differs from it in several determiners. An example of a neuter noun would be lo fluç (the money).

Numbers
The numbers 71-79 and 91-99 use a base-20 system rather than the decimal system seen in Spanish and Portuguese. This is due to influence from French, Basque, and the Celtic languages. For example, 76 is sexenta-seze (literally sixty sixteen).

Many numbers have two forms: one used attributively and one used elsewhere. An example would be 8 which is typically oto but has the attributive form ot

Verb Inversion
Although Ceruliado is a pro-drop language, in certain situations such as in questions and after quotes, the subject pronoun must be included after the 1s or 3s pronoun. When this happens a variety of changes may take place with the verb. This will be discussed more later but here are some examples:
Lo cant-eo?- Am I singing it?
Rio-jo?- Am I laughing?
Poss-eo? May I?
Lo canta-d-él?- Is he singing it?
Ri-d-él?- Is he laughing?
Pod-él?- May he?

Compound Tense Auxiliary Verbs
Ceruliado has 5 different auxiliary verbs. By far the most common is haver (have) which is used with the vast majority of verbs. Amlar (go) is used as an auxiliary in extremely formal situations and stresses that the event happened quickly and is most commonly used with the past perfect. Estar (be) is used for any intransitive or reflexive verb. Ser (be) is used for intransitive and reflexive verbs as well but indicates that the action has happened and cannot happen again. Nascer (be born), viver (live), and morir (die) are both commonly used with ser. Vĩr (come) is formally used for intransitive verbs and usually implies some sort of obligation, duty, worry, or fear.

Pronouns
The second person formal form has developed as fully pronominalized version of Señor (mister) which is used with both men and women. Its object pronoun form is Asseñ. The corresponding plural forms are Señores and Assens.

The pronouns y and en exist and are used much in the same way that their corresponding pronouns are used in French and Catalan.

Qui and que/qu' are distinguished as relative pronouns with the first being used as the subject and second being used for the direct object. Qui also means who in questions while que's corresponding question word is quẽ/qu' meaning what

Months
Months are placed after the day of the month without any preposition such as "el cinquo março" (March 5th, the 5th of March). All months can also function as adjectives such as chuivas abrills (April showers).

Vocative Mi
Ceruliado has developed a unique vocative form of the 1s masculine possessive. Typically this form is meo but vocatively it is mi. This mi is commonly used when calling people even in situations where no possession is indicated, e.g: mi Señor
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 31 Mar 2020 08:07, edited 4 times in total.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

My little Francophone heart is very happy with all the French-like touches. [:D] Do you know if any Romance natlangs use the month names adjectivally? I know they were adjectival in Latin, but none of the descendants I'm familiar with kept that trait.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Dormouse559 wrote: 11 Mar 2020 05:14 My little Francophone heart is very happy with all the French-like touches. [:D] Do you know if any Romance natlangs use the month names adjectivally? I know they were adjectival in Latin, but none of the descendants I'm familiar with kept that trait.
This fellow Francophone is glad to hear that! As for the months, I’m not aware either of any Romance languages which kept the adjectives as months so Ceruliado would be unique in that regard. However, given that all of the months still resemble adjectives even when used as nouns, I don’t think it would be too unrealistic for a Romance language to actually independently redevelop using them as adjectives again.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Plurals

Nouns ending in a vowel
As you might expect, nouns ending in a vowel form their plural very simplistically. There are only 2 rules to them:
1. Nouns in -õ form their plural by adding -es, e.g: coraçõ (heart), corações (hearts)
2. Nouns ending in all other vowels form their plural simply by adding -s, e.g: Castellã (Castilian), Castellãs (Castilians)

Nouns ending in -ñ/-nt
1. Nouns ending in -ñ form their plural by changing ñ to n and then adding -s, e.g: homeñ (man), homens (men)
2. Monosyllabic nouns ending in -nt form their plural by adding -es, e.g: dent (tooth), dentes (teeth)
3. Polysyllabic nouns ending in -nt form their plural simply by adding -s, e.g: preseient (president), preseients (presidents)

Nouns ending in -ç/-f
1. Nouns ending in -ç form their plural by changing ç to z and then adding -es, e.g: actriç (actress), actrizes (actresses)
2. Nouns ending in -f form their plural by changing f to v and then adding -es, e.g: recif (reef), recives (reefs)

Nouns ending in -l
1. Nouns ending in -al/-el/-ol/-ul form their plural by dropping the l and then adding -is, e.g: sol (sun), sois (suns)
2. Nouns ending in unstressed -il form their plural by dropping the l and then adding -is, e.g: fóssil (fossil), fossis (fossils)
3. Nouns ending in stressed -il form their plural by adding -ls, e.g: mil (thousand), mills (thousands)
4. Nouns ending in -l after a consonant, form their plural by adding -es, e.g: Náhuatl (Nahuatl), Náhuatles (Nahuatls)

Nouns ending in -s
Nouns ending in -s fall into one of two groups but which group a noun falls into has to simply be learned with each noun
1. Some nouns ending in -s form their plural by adding -ses, e.g: as (ace), asses (aces)
2. Some nouns ending in -s form their plural by adding -es, e.g: mes (month), meses (months)

Nouns ending in other consonants
Nouns ending in other consonants form their plurals by adding -es, e.g: paor (fear), paores (fears)

Irregular nouns
1. Avolo (grandfather), avós (grandfathers/grandparents)
2. Celo (sky), ceos (skies)
3. Cent (hundred), centos (hundreds)
4. Deos (god/God), deis (gods)
5. Pesç (fish), pesces (fish)
6. Red (web/net/goal), rezes (webs/nets/goals)
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 27 Mar 2020 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Los Parents (Family Members)
Before going into adjectives, determiners and similar topics, I thought I should go over the basic family members and how their plurals are used

Avolo- Grandfather
Avoila- Grandmother

Pai- Father (padre means priest)
Mai- Mother (Madre is used for the the title Mother for nuns)
Germã- Brother
Germaña- Sister

Paderno- Paternal uncle
Paderna- Paternal aunt
Maderno- Maternal uncle
Maderna- Maternal aunt
Sobrĩo- Nephew
Sobrĩa- Niece
Cosino- Cousin (m)
Cosina- Cousin (f)

Using the plurals
Like in Spanish, Portuguese, & Catalan, the plural form for the masculine family member can also be used to refer to both the masculine and feminine family members together (e.g: "meos avós" means my grandparents and "meos pais" means my parents). In addition however, as Ceruliado distinguishes between paternal and maternal aunts and uncles, it also uses the paternal terms to refer to both paternal and maternal sides. This can get a bit complicated so I'll give each possible definition of all 4 forms:

Padernos
1. Paternal uncles
2. Paternal aunts and paternal uncles
3. Paternal uncles and maternal uncles
4. Paternal uncles, maternal uncles, paternal aunts, and maternal aunts

Padernas
1. Paternal aunts
2. Paternal aunts and maternal aunts

Madernos
1. Maternal uncles
2. Maternal uncles and maternal aunts

Madernas
1. Maternal aunts
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Adjective Endings
Adjectives agree for both gender and number. The neuter form of the adjective is always identical to the masculine and with the exception of irregular adjectives, all adjectives form their plurals the same as nouns.

Adjectives ending in a vowel
1. Adjectives ending in -o create their feminine ending by turning -o into -a, e.g: chaldo -> chalda (warm)
2. Adjectives ending in -u create their feminine ending by adding -a, e.g: nu -> nua (naked)
3. Adjectives ending in all other vowels do not have a unique feminine ending, e.g: forte (strong)

Adjectives ending in -co
Adjectives ending in -o create their feminine ending by turning -co into -cha, e.g: blanco -> blancha (white)

Adjectives ending in a consonant
1. Adjectives ending in a consonant typically do not have a unique feminine ending, e.g: proprior (next)
2. Demonymic adjectives nevertheless create their feminine ending by adding -a, e.g: español -> española (Spanish)
3. Demonymic adjectives ending in -ç create their feminine ending by turning into -za. e.g: andaluç -> andaluza (Andalusian)
4. Adjectives ending in -dor also create their feminine ending by adding -a, e.g: traballador -> traballadora (hard-working)
4. Most adjectives ending in -tor and a few ending in -dor turn -dor/-tor into -triç instead, e.g: conservador -> conservatriç (conservative)

Invariable Adjectives
1. Adjectives used for colors that are formed from nouns are invariable, e.g: esmeralda (emerald)
2. Many adjectives borrowed from other languages are invariable, e.g: cool (cool)

Adjectives which drop -o before a noun
The following adjectives are mostly regular but when right before a noun they drop the final -o:
1. Belo, bel (beautiful)
2. Bruto, brut (stupid/crude/unrefined/dirty/gross)
3. Charo, char (dear/expensive)
4. Longo, long (long), which is irregularly pronounced as /lõ/ before a consonant
5. Mũito, mũit (many/a lot)
6. Novelo, novel (new)
7. Petito, petit (small)
8. Primero, primer (first)
9. Vecho, vec (old/elderly)

Other irregularities
1. Bon (good) is completely irregular and has the forms bon, bons, bõa, and bõas
2. Grañ (big/grand/great) becomes grand before a noun starting with a vowel and has the irregular plural grandes
3. Judeo (Jew/Jewish) has the irregular feminine form judia
4. Malo (bad) drops the final -o (mal) when right before a noun and also has the irregular masculine/neuter plural form maos
5. Mascho (male) is exactly the same in the feminine form and in all genders the plural form is maschos
6. Santo (holy, Saint) becomes San before a masculine name, e.g: San Paulo (Saint Paul), Sant before a feminine name starting with /a ɑ̃/, e.g: Sant Ana (Saint Anne), and Sant in the masculine names Sant Estevañ (Saint Stephen) and Sant Iagoñ (Saint James)
7. Solo (alone/lone/lonely) drops the final -o (sol) when right before a noun and also has the irregular masculine/neuter plural form sos
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 14 Apr 2020 15:53, edited 5 times in total.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Adjective Order

Adjectives after the noun
The vast majority of adjectives are simply placed after the noun they refer to

Adjectives before the noun
1. Most adjectives can be placed before the noun in order to either stress the adjective or for literary effect, i.e: un horrendo dia (a horrendous day)
2. The following adjectives below also are placed before the noun they refer to (this list may expand)
-Ãotro (other)
-Belo (beautiful)
-Bon (good)
-Bref (short/brief)
-Bruto (stupid/crude/unrefined/dirty/gross)
-Charo (dear/expensive)
-Falso (fake/false)
-Grosso (thick/fat)
-Joveñ (young)
-Mesmo (same)
-Mũito (many/a lot)
-Petito (small/little)
-Propior (next)
-Sufficient (enough/sufficient)
-Zavo (ugly)

Adjectives before or after the noun
A few adjectives can be placed before or after the adjective with a change in meaning depending on placement. The first definition is before the noun and second one is the definition after the noun
1. Alto (tall/high, loud)
2. Corto (short as a fundamental property of something, short in this specific instance)
2. Grañ (great, big/large/tall)
3. Malo (bad, evil)
4. Pobre (poor/miserable, poor/impoverished)
5. Solo (alone/lone, lonely)
6. Triste (sad, sad in the sense of making someone sad)
7. Úniquo (only, unique)
8. Vecho (former/previous or long-time, old/elderly)

Adjectives before the noun with a different related adjective that comes after the noun
Three adjectives have a different related adjective that comes after the noun. When placed after the noun, the adjective is more literal.
1. Longo (long as a fundamental property of something) vs. alonjado (long in this specific instance)
2. Novelo (new in the sense of recently discovered or unused) vs. novo (new in the sense of recently made)
3. Simple (simple/mere) vs. simpleç (simple/uncomplicated)
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 07 Apr 2020 14:09, edited 3 times in total.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Adverbs
Adverbs work very similarly to other Romance languages and like them the vast majority of adverbs are formed from adjectives

Basic adverbs
Basic adverbs are not formed from nouns and have no comparative form, e.g: hai (yesterday), hoy (today), crañant (tomorrow)

Adverbs formed from adjectives
1. The vast majority of adjectives form their adverbs by adding -ment to the feminine form of the adjective, e.g: chara -> charament (dearly)
2. Adjectives ending in -ñ/nt form their adverbs by dropping the -ñ/nt and adding -mment [◌̃ˈmẽ], e.g: important -> importamment (importantly)
3. Adverbs longer than three syllables have secondary stress on the adjectival stem wherever the adjective is stressed as long as it isn't stressed finally, e.g: rápida -> rapidament [ˌrapidaˈmẽ] (quickly)

Irregular adverbs formed from adjectives
1. Bon (good), ben (well)
2. Grañ has 2 separate adverbs formed from it: grandement (greatly, largely) and gramment (mostly). As its etymology is mostly lost on speakers, gramment has to come to be pronounced informally as [graˈmẽ] while formally it's still pronounced as [grãˈmẽ]
3. Malo (bad), mal (badly/poorly)
4. Solo has 2 separate adverbs formed from it: sólo and solament (both meaning only/solely/alone)
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 07 Apr 2020 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Well done for continuing!

I've tried romlangs before, but I only really got anywhere once, and that was with a really weird one. My problem is exactly what you say in the first line of your last post: once you've worked out the diachronics and a handful of quirks, one is reduced to saying "Xs works very similar to other Romance languages"...
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Salmoneus wrote: 31 Mar 2020 14:14 Well done for continuing!

I've tried romlangs before, but I only really got anywhere once, and that was with a really weird one. My problem is exactly what you say in the first line of your last post: once you've worked out the diachronics and a handful of quirks, one is reduced to saying "Xs works very similar to other Romance languages"...
Well to be fair, I'm starting off with things that are more similar to other Romance languages. It is unfortunate that if you want to make a realistic Romlang, you are often forced to keep things more similar than maybe you would like. But I like to think of it almost like covering a song. Even if a lot of it may be very similar, both the major and minor variations can be really interesting to look at it. Of course this is just my view on things. Every conlanger likes different kinds of conlangs [:)]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Copulas
Ceruliado had 3 copulas: estar, ser, and passarse. Ester and ser are virtually identical to how they are in Spanish and Portuguese, and in the few cases where the 2 languages differ in regards to the verb it often sides more with Portuguese. Below are the present tense conjugations for each of the 3 verbs. Note that the 3rd person forms are also used for the formal 2nd person forms as well.

Estar/Star
The forms of this verb starting with <s> are used whenever the verb occurs after a vowel while those starting with <e> are used elsewhere. In informal speech, the 3s form está has come to be almost completely replaced by the form è. This form is pronounced exactly the same as the 3s form of ser, é, and it's not clear whether è is in fact identical to this form or a shortening of está with a shift in stress. Regardless, the use of <è> in writing, while initially a prescriptive invention, has since become the universal spelling of the word. This verb's present participle, estant/stant, when used alongside a conjugated form of it, means "to stand", i.e: "estó stant" (I'm standing).
1st Person Singular: Estó/Sto
2nd Person Singular: Estás/Stas
3rd Person Singular: Está or È/Sta

1st Person Plural: Estamos/Stamos
2nd Person Plural: Estades/Stades
3rd Person Plural: Estant/Stañ

Ser
Both the 1s and 3p forms are pronounced the same
1st Person Singular:
2nd Person Singular: Es
3rd Person Singular: É

1st Person Plural: Somos
2nd Person Plural: Sedes
3rd Person Plural: Soñ

Passarse
This verb is a regular reflexive -ar verb. It is used to mean "be" when used with a location, i.e: "me passo à chasa mia" (I'm at home). Neither estar nor ser are typically used in this case scenario.
1st Person Singular: Me passo
2nd Person Singular: Te passas
3rd Person Singular: Se passa

1st Person Plural: Nos passamos
2nd Person Plural: Vos passaç
3rd Person Plural: Se passañ

Syntax with estar/star and ser
Both of these verbs, particularly in the present tense and preterite, take a different syntax depending on whether the predicate is stressed or not. When the predicate is stressed, it comes before the verb, otherwise the syntax remains in the normal VSO form. This can be most easily seen in the 3 most common answers to the question "como stas?" (how are you?):
1. Estó ben- I'm well/fine/etc. (predicate isn't stressed as this is by far the most common response)
2. Mal estó- I'm not okay/not doing well/etc. (predicate is stressed as this answer is far less expected)
3. Ben sto- I'm actually doing really well today etc. (predicate is stressed to indicate that the speaker is actually doing pretty well and isn't just saying so as part of the expression)