What is the newest word in your conlang?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Re: What is the newest word in your conlang?

Post by Flavia »

:con: A language with 15 words
rugzectagn /ˈrʊʒət͡ʃaɲ/ fearsome
Yes, that's a weird word for the 15th word but I wanted to test how to derive the adjectives.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

/ha:ŋønnβiɲ/
<hánhŋœnanluŋ>
v. to marry, from an old honorific and <hánhŋœn> "couple, relationship"
thomasp3864
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by thomasp3864 »

So far:

Raumanœtro: a Romlang

Pœda /pɛ.ða/ (f) n.
  • Raincoat
from Gothic "𐍀𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌰" meaning "shirt" or "cloak".

Asulnoist: the IAL where self is derived from selfie

Udlahema /udrahema/ (recomended anglophone pronunciation: [ʊdɹɑːheɪmɑː]) n.
  • A river
from "udla" meaning "otter" (from albanian lundër, belarussian вы́дра, bengali ভোঁদড়, bulgarian ви́дра, Catalan llúdria, czech vydra, danish odder, dutch otter, Friulian Lodre, italian lontra, french loutre, hungarian vidra, hindi ऊद, latvian udrs, lithuanian udra, maltese lutra, nepali उद्र, Digor ossetian урдӕ, polish wydra, russian вы́дра, sanscrit उद्र, saraiki اُدڑ, sorbian wudra, swahili ota, telugu ఉద్రము, yiddish ווידרע, Ukrainian ви́дра, swedish utter‎) + "hema" meaning "home" (from english home, tibetan khyim, persian xâne, german heim, tajik xona, navajo hooghan, hindhi ghar, finish hima, amharic hoʾomäʾ, bakhitari hőwe, belarussian xáta, chechen husam, telugu gr̥hamu, ughur xane, northern Kurdish xanî)
thomasp3864
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by thomasp3864 »

In Raumanœtro, the latest word is "si" (pronounced /si/). It means if.

It entered the lexicon because I realised I didn't have a way to express the conditional in it, so I decided to just use the same thing as the other Romance languages, since Raumanœtro is a Romlang. This is actually surprising for Raumanœtro due to the fact that there is neither influence from Gothic nor Etruscan.

It comes from latin sī.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

belsadozahongfash -- Kankonian for "pick-up artist". Belsado is "to turn on" or "arousal", while zahong is a verb meaning "to bait", and -fash is an agent noun suffix (like -er). A pick-up artist can also be called a belsadozahongis (the same but with the suffix -is, similar to -ist, instead of -fash), or a molikslakhfash (lit. "bait-thrower"), or a belsadomolikis (lit. "turn_on-bait-ist") -- belmol for short.

I also coined a number of words related to click beetles. Hikiket woshi is an eyed click beetle (hikiket is an onomatopoetic word for "click beetle", and woshi means "eyed", like a peacock's tail -- it in turn is derived from woshas (ocellus) and the adjective suffix -i). Hikiketrami is a wireworm (rami means "larva"), and hikiketokh means specifically an adult click beetle, as opposed to a wireworm (-okh is a suffix for adult animals, the opposite of -i*: karaph, dog; karaphi*, puppy; karaphokh, adult dog).
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

I needed three new words today:

1. Mujatum: to discharge, expel, ooze
2. Bihatum: to pee, urinate, piss
3. Vegatum: to shit, excrete feces
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

In Kobardon, my newest word is mirepa meaning wistfulness, the feeling of missing someone. Incidentally, it seems to mean we split in the natlang Ternate.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

The newest word in Basha Humrayan is "Byojenuschascha" [Byo: Animal lifeform + Jenu: leg + schascha: six] = insect.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 24 Apr 2022 01:47 The newest word in Basha Humrayan is "Byojenuschascha" [Byo: Animal lifeform + Jenu: leg + schascha: six] = insect.
That's a pentasyllabic mouthful. Do Basha Humrayan speakers have any everyday word that means "bug"?
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Apr 2022 02:19
MissTerry wrote: 24 Apr 2022 01:47 The newest word in Basha Humrayan is "Byojenuschascha" [Byo: Animal lifeform + Jenu: leg + schascha: six] = insect.
That's a pentasyllabic mouthful. Do Basha Humrayan speakers have any everyday word that means "bug"?
Yes :) [it's "Kahnta" or "Kidta": Kidtas byojenuschascha as = a bug is an animal lifeform with six legs]. But I invented a system that makes words that describe things technically for Humrayan science and philosophy. Like how English makes scientific and philosophical neologisms, but we borrow words from Greek and Latin. I wanted to have the same concept, but using words from the language itself... maybe like how the Germans today sometimes do things :)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 24 Apr 2022 04:53
Yes :) [it's "Kahnta" or "Kidta": Kidtas byojenuschascha as = a bug is an animal lifeform with six legs]. But I invented a system that makes words that describe things technically for Humrayan science and philosophy. Like how English makes scientific and philosophical neologisms, but we borrow words from Greek and Latin. I wanted to have the same concept, but using words from the language itself... maybe like how the Germans today sometimes do things :)
Cool!

I have a number of Leholangs (conlangs from the Lehola Galaxy) that have go-to languages for inkhorn words. Kankonian has Ciladian, Tentan has Bionjengese, Achel has Psaib, Javarti has Jukasta, Quispe has Mazmiza.
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Apr 2022 05:16
MissTerry wrote: 24 Apr 2022 04:53
Cool!

I have a number of Leholangs (conlangs from the Lehola Galaxy) that have go-to languages for inkhorn words. Kankonian has Ciladian, Tentan has Bionjengese, Achel has Psaib, Javarti has Jukasta, Quispe has Mazmiza.
Wow! I don't have a go-to language for inkhorn words? I'm not sure what language ancient Sanskrit speaking people would use as their go-to language? I'll have to do some research!
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

My newest word in my conlang is "Krasataya" which means "Computer." From the Seed-radical "Kra" meaning "Machine / Machanism" + the Humrayan word "Sataya" meaning "Information / Data." Sataya comes from the Sanskrit word "Satya" meaning "truth / essence." I made the word "Satya" into the Humrayan word "Sataya" because a concept of quantum mechanics and Buddhism is that information [dhamma] is the fundamental essence of the physical universe.

I had to invent the concept of a "seed-radical." I got the idea from this:

Seed-radicals are single syllable radicals that follow a specific pattern of phonemes (Consonant + r/l/ll/w/y + Vowel) and may only be appended at the beginning of roots or the beginning of words and which have fixed or immutable meaning. The seed-radical "Kra" means "Machine / Mechanism" which comes from the Sanskrit root "Kr" meaning "Work / Labor / Build" which is the root in the Sanskrit word "Karman" from where English gets the word "Karma."
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

The newest word in Humrayan is "Racdvesatum" /rɑʔ.'dvɛ.sɑ.tũᵑ/. It means "To love and hate something at the same time. To love something a lot, but to also hate it because of how it makes you feel." Like when you hear a song you love, but that song reminds you of someone who broke your heart.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 02 May 2022 18:10 The newest word in Humrayan is "Racdvesatum" /rɑʔ.'dvɛ.sɑ.tũᵑ/. It means "To love and hate something at the same time. To love something a lot, but to also hate it because of how it makes you feel." Like when you hear a song you love, but that song reminds you of someone who broke your heart.
Cool!

The closest thing I have to that in Kankonian is the noun shemebet hel bades bam, which I translate as "love-hate relationship". It literally means "relationship with two heads".
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

The newest word in Basha Humrayan is "Kardapospa," which means "slime mold." From the Sanskrit root word "karda" meaning mud/muddy, which is in the Sanskrit word "Kardama" meaning "slime." And from the Sanskrit word Puspa, meaning a kind of fungus.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Some reptilian words I came up with recently:

Arculese

bántis - snake, serpent
enávos - cobra, viper, adder, type of poisonous snake (which one being referred to varies by dialect) (cf. Lih. hnáwas - water snake)
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

I thought I'd start naming all of the plants and animals in and around my local area that I see everyday. And so my latest word today is "Trupuuysaupa," which means Skunk Cabbage. Skunk Cabbage grows everywhere here for miles and you can smell it in the air.

Trupuuysaupa is made of two parts: Tru is a prefix that means a plant or vegetation of some kind + Puuysaupa which means skunk. The seed root of Puuysaupa is "Puuy" which is the Sanskrit root meaning to stink. Saupa is a word which means an animal that looks like badgers and squirrels.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

MissTerry wrote: 16 May 2022 15:32 …. The seed root of Puuysaupa is "Puuy" which is the Sanskrit root meaning to stink. ….
Wow!
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

The newest word in Humrayan is "Byoromaka" which means "Mycelium." Byoromaka is made of three parts: Byo + Roma + Aka. Byo is a prefix meaning a "Life Form." Roma is Sanskrit for "Fur / Body Hair." Aka is the Sanskrit diminutive suffix. Romaka means "fuzz," or that which is fuzzy. And so Byoromaka means a "life form that is fuzzy."