What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes »

Accomplished a rethink of Limestone vowels.

The Old Híí vowels were most likely *a *e *i *u (though *u may just as well have been *o). There were two offglides: *j *w. In Limestone the vowels underwent the following shift:

*a *e *i *u → /o a i ɯ/ o a i u

The vowel-offglide combinations however developed like so:

*aj *ej *ij *uj → ai ii ii ui~wi
*aw *ew *iw *uw → ao iu iu ou

This makes for fun alternations:

a - ii - iu
i - ii - iu
o - ai - ao
u - ui - ou

Note that on its own or doubled u is unrounded /ɯ/, whereas it is rounded /w~u/ as part of a diphthong.

I’m also reconsidering how Limestone verbs work and am now leaning towards a (near-)exclusively suffixing template with very complex stems loosely based on Algonquian. The closest equivalent would thus be the affirmative order in Arapaho but without the preverbs. Or Kalaallisut Lite.
Last edited by DesEsseintes on 26 Sep 2020 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

rainbowcult wrote: 23 Sep 2020 22:54 Accusative case: arrWORD
Nominative case: valWORD
Dative case: apWORD
Genitive case: ta,aWORD
Vocative case: lemWORD
Abessive case (without): teWORDte
Ablative case (from): meWORD
Adessive case (at): jeWORD
Allative case (to): teWORD
Benefactive case (before): reWORD
Elative case (out of): heWORD
Inessive case (in): geWORD
How does "ta,aWORD" work/sound? Is the comma a glottal stop?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rainbowcult »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 Sep 2020 20:30
rainbowcult wrote: 23 Sep 2020 22:54 Accusative case: arrWORD
Nominative case: valWORD
Dative case: apWORD
Genitive case: ta,aWORD
Vocative case: lemWORD
Abessive case (without): teWORDte
Ablative case (from): meWORD
Adessive case (at): jeWORD
Allative case (to): teWORD
Benefactive case (before): reWORD
Elative case (out of): heWORD
Inessive case (in): geWORD
How does "ta,aWORD" work/sound? Is the comma a glottal stop?
Yup! Most people seem to use ' instead, but I honestly preferred a comma.
♂♥♂♀
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

rainbowcult wrote: 26 Sep 2020 01:46
Khemehekis wrote: 25 Sep 2020 20:30 How does "ta,aWORD" work/sound? Is the comma a glottal stop?
Yup! Most people seem to use ' instead, but I honestly preferred a comma.
Well, that's fine, I interpreted it correctly. The glottal stop is an intuitive interpretation.
♂♥♂♀

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I came up with some fun umlaut for Ch’eweyõw̌e.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I’ve revived a super ancient conlang of mine called Meyyın and I’m redoing it from the start. It’s so fun.

The first word coined in it is

yeyssiig n. - mounted warrior
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

At some point today I hit 1000 lexical entries in Alál's noun dictionary, but I'm not sure which word it was. Counting back I would guess either lmuál drought, lumùlal jerky, dried meat strips, or lmalu powdered cosmetics. I can say with certainty that the 1082nd word is ḷuḳuùàum feigned weakness/vulnerability, as that's where I stopped for the morning.

Case declensions:
[Class] | AGT | OBL | PAT
[U1] | lumìul | lmuál | lmul | 'drought'
[NA3] | lumùlaıl | lumùlal | lumùlàl | 'jerky'
[U2]| lmıul | lmalu | lmúl | 'powdered cosmetics'
[U3] | ḷuḳuǔıum | ḷuḳuùàum | ḷuḳuùmùm | 'feigned weakness'
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Oh hey. It's been a year and a half and I have work due. You know what that means: It's time for HyPry v4.

Or perhaps Ngaliv ëra v2. Either is fine. This no longer has any relation whatsoever to HyPry v1, which is a ten-year-old kitchen sing monstrosity, but reinventing this conlang seems to have become a tradition of mine and I have ideas about its writing system. I think I've cracked the code on how to finally separate this thing from its Gallifreyan roots. The answer is triangles.

For some reason I can find absolutely none of my old notes. I have no idea what happened to them. Thankfully I have one small piece of the grammar preserved - my torch from the conlang relay in 2018. Since I remember very little of this except the way that phrase-looming works, which to be fair was probably the most interesting part of the grammar (effectively: all constituents are [or tend to be] discontinuous), this feels a little like one of those NACLO puzzles. It's good fun. Like herding stubborn, amnesiac, leniting sheep.

And you know what? This thing is meant to be silly. I'm going to call back to V1 with a weird choice of orthography. No ascenders or descenders. That's my new rule. You can fit so many small caps in this bad boy. This 'lang is bound to be completely redone in two years anyway.

m n ŋ <m n ɴ>
k͡p/ɸˠ p/ɸ t/θ ʈ/ʂ k/x ʔ <c ʙ ᴅ ᴆ ɢ ʜ>
k͡pʰ/fˠ pʰ/f tʰ/s ʈʰ/ʂ kʰ/h <ɔ ᴘ ᴛ ʀ ᴋ>
pˣ/fˠ tˣ/sˠ ʈˣ/ʂˣ kˣ/x <v s z x>
ɾ l ɬ <r ʟ ᴌ>
ɹ j w <ɹ ı u>
i u e ø ɤ o ɜ æ ɑ <ı u ë ö e o ɜ ä a>

Part of me wants to add a lonesome /!/ for old time's sake. I have two cups of coffee, one abstract due tomorrow morning, and no shame. Fight me. Oral stops other than /ʔ/ are realized as the corresponding fricatives (as seen above) word-medially and finally; medially, they are also voiced. Basic syllable structure is (C)(A)V where A is any approximant, though the velarized stop series may not precede /j/. In practice, C(A)VCV strings tend to collapse in on each other to produce more complex syllables.

-----------------

All I've really done today other than that is figure out some basic syntax. You have a verb and a modal particle, and three argument slots which refer to fixed thematic roles for that specific verb (e.g. /k͡pæ/ 'to cover' has slots [1] 'thing covered', [2] 'item used to cover', and [3] 'individual performing the covering'). The modal particle also carries a slew of evidentiality information. Let's make ɜ the indicative direct-knowledge particle. Slot [3] always requires agency.

Noun phrases similarly consist of a noun and an article, which was class-specific, and there were... a lot of noun classes, I think. Articles weren't quite an open class, but things such as titles and honorifics could be used as articles. Thus, xo sɜ /kˣo tˣɜ/ 'cloud', ᴆuä rë /ʈʰwæ ɾe/ 'house (building)'. I don't think they carried any morphological information, but I might give them plurality and some kind of tense marking this time around. Via particles. V4 is exclusively isolating, but also rather phonologically opaque.

Then there's the looming, which is what I called the interweaving of NPs and VPs as a quiet reference to an obscure element of the Doctor Who expanded universe back when HyPry was, well, HyPry. I will never not be slightly bitter that the show has never delved deeper into that lore. "When asked if series 11 would confirm the existence of Looms, Chris Chibnall said he had not read Lungbarrow, as he had not been able to find a copy" well that's no excuse. Tell him to email me I still have every single gosh darned pdf from my childhood and I have had so much coffee I am a veritable fountain of obscure Gallifreyan cultural information. Zagreus sits inside your head. Zagreus lives among the dead. Zagreus sees you in your bed and eats you when you're sleeping.

I remember ı and o, which advanced the argument position within a verb so that a noun was properly placed for its role and could also be used following a noun to give it multiple roles. A transitive structure would look something like Object.Noun - Verb - Object's.Article - (i/o) - Subject.Noun - (i/o) - (Prepositional.Phrases) - a - Subject's.Article, depending on what thematic roles exactly each noun had assigned. So we have ᴆuä xo ɜ , reduced to ᴆuäc rë xo ɜs /ʈʰwæɸˠ ɾe kˣo ɜsˠ/ "The cloud covered the house". Want the cloud to be sentient? Stick an ı in there after it. If the house is covering the cloud somehow? xo cä sɜ ᴆuä ɜ rë, which doesn't reduce.

It's late and I need to be productive but I also just remembered the animacy hierarchy, holy heck, tiny pieces of this grammar are returning to my mind like lost sheep running back to their keeper after stumbling into a ravine and watching their fellows fall to their depths and deciding that freedom just isn't worth it. There were a handful of particles which changed argument order, which was necessary because there was a very, very strict animacy hierarchy which was also tied to formality. So xo cä sɜ ᴆuä ɜ rë would likely not be possible; you'd need something in there to indicate that slots [1] and [2] were swapping roles so that the house could remain the first argument. We'll say that's ᴌu, because /ɬu/ sounds nice. Thus, ᴆuäc ᴌu rë xo ɜs. There we go. I'm done for today.

Edit: I cannot focus on this abstract, I am too excited about triangles. I honestly think I might finally have a native orthography for this thing that doesn't feel derivative. (Well, a ceremonial non-linear one - the linear thread-form writing from V3 was quite nice.) Looking forward to sharing the triangles. They are so, so impractical as a writing system and yet so very retro sci-fi.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I found a whole bunch of articles about morphology, including:
* survey articles of particular theories,
* survey articles comparing and contrasting multiple theories,
* articles about order of morphemes in words,
* articles about how (and when and why) the order of morphemes changes or has changed,
* doctoral dissertations,
* articles by famous long-established scholars,
* slideshows to accompany lectures to classes of graduate students,
* class notes taken by such students,
* some professor’s “handouts” for an online course open to the public (I think?),
and so on.

I’m reading the first one now; it’s by Marianne Mithun. I chose to read it first partly randomly.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Oct 2020 07:46 You know what that means: It's time for HyPry v4.
Looks great so far. I am looking forward to hearing more.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

Recently, as in two days ago, Catralian reached 259 words. All are various meanings of wīr. It can mean worm as in the animal, worm as in to squirm, and it can mean struggle as in a fight. I don't remember why I added all these words.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Oct 2020 07:46 It's late and I need to be productive but I also just remembered the animacy hierarchy, holy heck, tiny pieces of this grammar are returning to my mind like lost sheep running back to their keeper after stumbling into a ravine and watching their fellows fall to their depths and deciding that freedom just isn't worth it.
This is a great sentence!
♂♥♂♀

silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Working on Maanxmuʃt

Got the weak nouns done. Figured out the basics of verbs. Currently working on getting the strong noun stuff in the wiki. I have most of the stuff in my spreadsheet filled out although I need some more suppletive forms. A couple of favorites:

eat - formed with iultir and ilir
go - puulkklir / ukir
grain - man / muʃt
child - ʃtimθ / maanx

So Maanxmuʃt officially gets to mean 'grain's children' or 'children of the corn'

338 entries in the spreadsheet so far.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I made a nice little table comparing numbers from one to ten in my most developed Germlangs. For me this meant, surprising similarities and surprising differences. Not sure if my "South Germanic" is a subfamily or a Sprachbund.

Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

Is Mánnìkà tonal? I love how it looks, it's so strange compared to the others.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Yes, it is tonal. I had the idea that some remnants of the Vandal Kingdom in North Africa fled through the Sahara (with the help of some Berbers) to West Africa roughly to the area of modern day Cameroon and Nigeria. Nevertheless, Mánnìkà is not neccesarily an East Germanic language. They kept some form of Arianism, too. Of course, this is just a justification for making Germanic languages that look a bit like Bantu.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Khemehekis wrote: 28 Oct 2020 08:34This is a great sentence!
Creyeditor wrote: 26 Oct 2020 19:54Looks great so far. I am looking forward to hearing more.
[<3]

I promised triangles; have some triangles.

| zɜ man ᴌıövu na ʜe u uë ra ᴌıövu ᴋuı ma. ʟën. an. a ʜe|
1 fear IPFV A1 future A1 Aabst and person PL future love IPFV Ahum 1 Aabst A1 IND Aabst
/ne ʈˣɝ mɑn ɬjøfˠu nɑ ʔɤ u we ɾɑ ɬjøfˠu kʰwi mɑ len ɑn ɑ ʔɤ/
"I am afraid for my future and for the future of those I love."

I am very happy with HyPry V4's ludicrously impractical ceremonial writing system. Forget linearity. It's election night and I don't have the energy to line things up all neat-like. We're doing fractals.

It's pretty clearly inspired by earlier versions of the script, which in turn started as an interpretation of Gallifreyan circular writing, but I think its finally come into its own, and a triangle-based structure works perfectly given the way "slotting" works for verbal arguments and nominal modifiers. Will eventually also figure out the linear form, which is logophonetic.

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I really like the triangular script. Very unique and still a continuation of the earlier ideas [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Creyeditor wrote: 04 Nov 2020 10:36 I really like the triangular script. Very unique and still a continuation of the earlier ideas [:)]
Thanks! Yeah, I think I've finally got it to a place where it feels like its own thing.

Messed with the phonology a bit this morning, added an ejective series because V4 needs to continue V3's tradition of very large consonant inventories (mostly) without phonemic fricatives. I also gave in and indulged in /ᵑǃ/ - it can go sit in the corner with the nasals. Why is there no retroflex nasal? Not sure. Alál is my "serious" and "naturalistic" (ish) project. V4 is allowed to do whatever the heckity heck it wants.

Code: Select all

p'/ɸʔ   t'/θʔ   ʈ'/ʂʔ  	k'/xʔ 	< ʙʜ ᴅʜ ᴆʜ ɢʜ >
kp/ɸˠ   p/ɸ 	t/θ 	ʈ/ʂ 	k/x 	< c ʙ ᴅ ᴆ ɢ >
kpʰ/fˠ	pʰ/f 	tʰ/s 	ʈʰ/ʂ 	kʰ/h 	< ɔ ᴘ ᴛ ʀ ᴋ >
	pˣ/fˠ 	tˣ/sˠ   ʈˣ/ʂˣ 	kˣ/x 	< ᴘʜ ᴛʜ ʀʜ ᴋʜ >
	m 	n	ᵑǃ	ŋ 	< m n nʜ ɴ >
	ɾ 	l 	ɬ 	ʔ 	< r ʟ ᴌ ʜ >
	ɹ 	j 	w 		< ɜ ı u >
	i  u  e  ø  ɤ  o  ɝ  æ  ɑ 	< ı u ë ö e o ɜ ä a >
/ʔ/ doesn't pattern with liquids; I just put it there to make the chart neat.

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 04 Nov 2020 10:04 I am very happy with HyPry V4's ludicrously impractical ceremonial writing system. Forget linearity. It's election night and I don't have the energy to line things up all neat-like. We're doing fractals.
Yay, fractals! I consider this a pretty scriptie, as I've always loved fractals. Even before I knew what they were called, I drew fractals on the walls of Rasaphi temples (Rasaphism is a Kankonian religion) and called these fractal-designs "cryptoglyphs".
♂♥♂♀