What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Man in Space
roman
roman

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Man in Space »

Omzinesý wrote: 27 Jan 2023 22:53 I wrote about 5 pages of my Ptila grammar. It now has 18 (3 of them being front pages and lists of contents).
Among other things, I wrote a section about epistemic auxiliaries. They are more or less like those of Tibetan, i.e. obligatorily marked.
I would like to read this.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Made some words and managed to translate my first sentence into this so-far-unnamed thing I'm working on:

krokroft sjfwasroctaroft, pontrafwj wsjjanjkstask.
/kʀo.kʀoft si.fwɑs.ʀoʃ.tɑ.ʀoft pon.tʀɑf.wi ɯ.si.jɑ.niks.tɑsk/
kro(f)-krof sj(n)-fw(j)-a(k)-sro(t)-c-taroft, po(k)-n-tra(kt)-fwj wsjjanjkstask.
GNO-state GEN-flight-all-known-PL-law, DEO-NEG-able-fly bee.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly.
(lit. All known laws of flight state that a bee (honey-insect) should not be able to fly.)

Haven't considered stress yet, also I'm not sure how safe/risky it is having my affixing rules eagerly chop off the end of syllables in terms of word parts still being recognisable, but I'm enjoying making the grammar work with this kinda synthetic prefixing thing going on.

Also yes I am going to do the other 2 sentences in the passage next.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

mira wrote: 05 Feb 2023 19:50 ….
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly.
(lit. All known laws of flight state that a bee (honey-insect) should not be able to fly.)
….
Isn’t that specifically bumblebees? Not, for instance honeybees?
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Yes and no, in that bumblebees are the subject of the myth yet we know how how they fly.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Man in Space wrote: 04 Feb 2023 06:10
Omzinesý wrote: 27 Jan 2023 22:53 I wrote about 5 pages of my Ptila grammar. It now has 18 (3 of them being front pages and lists of contents).
Among other things, I wrote a section about epistemic auxiliaries. They are more or less like those of Tibetan, i.e. obligatorily marked.
I would like to read this.
It is far from ready, but I'll publish it when I have a preliminary version.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I made a number of mostly spatial terms for my Giant's Language.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Today, I wrote a section of around one page about the history of Ptila ergative alignment. The whole document has 22 pages ATM.
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Got my first a priori conlang for a while off the ground (oh, PIE, how your reign of temptation has gone on far too long)
It's the first time for years that I've focused on phonology first rather than going straight into morphology with phono/aesthetics as an afterthought. And I think it's paid off in that it's been a day already and I don't hate it yet. Which is unusual for a priori languages for me these days.

It's been coming on quite nice! It's making me want to get back into LaTeX to make a nice document about its grammar.

íre loido girasilgoí giraxi gáda hei
[írə loido ŋiraʃɪlgoi˩˥ ŋiraʔi ŋáda hei]
íre loi-do girasil-goí gira-xi gá-da hei-∅
this make-ATTR language-VIA.TOP speak-CNV.IMPFV 1S-DAT good-NPST
it feels good to speak this conlang
reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Been revising the Chhuowòta orthography again…

The high vowels are now /i ɯ u/ ı u ou (yes the dotted i’s got on my nerves in the end).

And since I now have ı, I had to get rid of j, so now /d͡ʒ/ is z, which is daring to say the least, for me at least.

We’ll see if it lasts.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Feb 2023 17:40 Been revising the Chhuowòta orthography again…

The high vowels are now /i ɯ u/ ı u ou (yes the dotted i’s got on my nerves in the end).

And since I now have ı, I had to get rid of j, so now /d͡ʒ/ is z, which is daring to say the least, for me at least.

We’ll see if it lasts.
Why not use ȷ?
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Titus Flavius wrote: 01 Mar 2023 17:23
DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Feb 2023 17:40 Been revising the Chhuowòta orthography again…

We’ll see if it lasts.
Why not use ȷ?
Because I don’t like the look of it.

I’m currently using zh.

While I’m here, I might as well add that Chhuowòta verbs are coming along nicely. I now have (polymorphemic) verb endings like -rıéssúnuowo.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I'm developing a side-project where all roots are CVC but CV- prefixes can be added. Pitch accent lies on the first syllable.
There are two tones, high and low. The tone of the root floats to the first syllable when a prefix is added. A contour tone is thus created.

pà + nák -> pănak

If the syllable is closed, contour tones are not permitted. Gemination of the intervocalic consonant is however caused by morphological processes and prefixes causing gemination do not have an inherent tone.

sa(GEMINATION) + rám -> sárram

The lang also has three phonations, creaky, modal, and breathy voices. They also appear on the accented syllable, but I don't know if they can float.

Some combinations of phonations and tones are also ungrammatical, but I cannot decide which ones.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I accomplished a lot yesterday; but none of it had to do with conlangs or conworlds or neographies or linguistics.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

I've settled on elevation, orientation, associated motion, etc as the primary splats to get elaborate for my verbs and the AM book came in so I can finally get down to doing just that.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

eldin raigmore wrote: 03 Mar 2023 16:36 I accomplished a lot yesterday; but none of it had to do with conlangs or conworlds or neographies or linguistics.
My CNA came in and undid it all.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Over the past week, I did L- and M-words for my Kankonian dictionary, trying to spot words that were missing. Good thing I did, because I got 330 new Kankonian words out of it! A sampling:

muyeozuvwiesit: labelmate (muye, also, fellow, co- + ozuvwi, music + esit, name)
haug halhapigan: ladies' night, girls' night out (lit. "all-clitoris fun"; chosen for the alliteration)
strenag-sokh: boys' night out (lit. "testicle night out"; also chosen for the alliteration)
Sikmophera: Lady Luck (from an ancient mythological figure)
it-hu-mopha: to lampshade (acknowledge a cliché or unrealistic trope in a work of fiction) (the Kankonian letters I H M for is hauess muye, or "I know too")
inte na Sayishiva: Landau notation, Big O notation (inte, notation + na, of + Sayishiva, name of a scientist in the Lehola Galaxy)
yehade nekhazar: land-whale (oversize vehicle) (lit. "ringleader car"; inspired by dukhar nekhazar, meaning "ringleader ship", or mothership)
draitorp: lanternfly
drumnorth: spotted lanternfly
ptigwa: lappet
halukir-ptigwa: lappet-faced vulture (halukir, [Old World] vulture + ptigwa)
emsoghumihaduzhar or emsohad for short: LARP; to LARP (emsoghumi, three-dimensional + haduzhar, to role-play; role-playing)
iyef et Pef: happy as Larry (lit. "happy as Pef", Pef being a popular given name in the Tumarosphere countries on Saros)
hobepo-mesang: laser-eye surgery (hobepo, cornea + mesang, laser)
*aldo: laser tag (shortened from *aldaima, infrared)
hegeros ad ftohomes: late to the punch (lit. "late to the tunnel cakes", a tunnel cake beinga pastry resembling a half-cylinder filled with cream; modeled after kaluktortur X ad ftohomes, "to beat X to the tunnel cakes", meaning to beat someone to the punch)
ophailisi: latebricole (oph, hole + ailiss, to live, to reside + -i, suffix for adjectives)
nilkhyushvagir: latency period (made from Ciladian roots: nil, solitary + khyush, blanket + bhagir, span, time span, period)
lehaphadshai*ap: laundry ball (lehaphad, detergent + shai*ap, ball)
palhekikaraph: follow-the-leader (pal, behind + hekikaraph, a shaggy Kankonian dog breed with zebra stripes (heki, zebra + karaph, dog), used to herd sheep like sheepdogs on Earth)
daz-ar: learn: to learn from someone else's experience (lit. "because of you"; inspired by the Kelly Clarkson song)
geterpleu: leatherman (masculine gay man who wears leather) (geter, soldier + pleu, gay)
plankizmo: leatherman, multitool
nush: leeward, lee, alee (side of a ship sheltered from the wind)
graim: aweather
ugwati: legrandite
ruvatan: leucistic (rubh, the Ciladian word for white + atan, albino)
ftyuri: lavash
zumaka: lever (in voting booth) (borrowed from a planet that uses levers for voting)
daluye na Kerina: liberty bells (lit. "song of Kerina", Kerina being a khemehekis who assassinated the emperor Phoriphio)
ledsyudud: liminality (borrowing from Ciladian: ledsyu, to turn into, to transform; transformation + dud, edge; border; boundary)
babi-etil (pl. babitos-etil): link (sausage) (babi, sausage + etil, penis)
straip: to hold one's liquor
eyme: literacy test (genericization of the Eyme, a famous literacy test, from the surname of its creator)
pakhlis, pakkhlis, or paklis: lithium (drug), lithium carbonate (portmanteau of pak, salt + akhlis, lithium (the element))
pelpishapou: heliconia, lobster-claw, false bird-of-paradise, wild plantain (borrowed from a Tzelshan language)
lolkat: lolcat (obviously an English borrowing)
atzwan oshowei: long arm of the law (lit. "nearby law")
shmen az selidas karatshes: long count, slow count (in boxing) (lit. "count that pulls punches")
zozozanya: looksism (as opposed to personalitism) (borrowing from Shaleyan: zozo, physical appearance + zaña, theory)
podazanya: personalitism (borrowing from Shaleyan: pod, personality + zaña)
omenikhubriti: loofah-faced (omen, face + khubrit, loofah; compounds are head-first if one morpheme is a body part, and when such compounds become adjectives, both segments add -i)
swim: to lose (experience the passing of)
phan ba senya: love life (borrowing from Shaleyan phan ba seña; lit. "world of love")
nophu ba senya: sex life (borrowing from Shaleyan nophu ba seña; lit. "world of sex")
yasimana: Dunbar's number (taken from the surnames of two scientists)
psekig: to have one's luck run out (gikesp (to luck out) spelt backwards)
zatagmen: ludo (from the language of ancient Ktibagu)
hhulpa: lupe, Pacific imperial pigeon (Ducula pacifica) (borrowed from a language of the Tzelshas Islands)
hazghartth: to lustrate (purge wrongdoers from an evil former regime)
odangazorpnatavan: lyretail hawkfish, swallowtail hawkfish (odangazor, lyrebird + pnatavan, hawkfish)
prubeata: maga (Thespesia grandiflora)
wevutbruzhgintz: maggot cheese, casu martzu (wevut, maggot + bruzhgintz, pecorino)
mesor ab Venetzyus: magical Aesop (lit. "moral from Venetzyus", Venetzyus being the archetypal wizard figure on Kankonia, similar to Merlin on Earth)
paspaft: to malaxate, to malax; malaxage
stzintus: mandrake (tiny demon immune to fire)
leshalshatorim: man-purse (leshal, purse + shatorim, equivalent, analogue)
skhnatuozh: marcasite
sapaina: marocain
phofosh: puffed marshmallow and phefsh: unpuffed marshmallow (both playing phonaesthetically with phufush, marshmallow)
tshakhanzei: mastic (Pistacia lentiscus)
nokhazin: mastic (liquor)
shidyatuphes: mastigophore (official who carries a whip) (borrowing from Ciladian: shidyat, whip + uph, to carry + -es, agent noun suffix)
aidisugolis: mathemagician (portmanteau of aidispos, mathematics + sugolis, maven)
falamis: mattress tester (falam, mattress + -is, suffix for a person)
plewishp: maundy, nipter
glezast: meerschaum, sepiolite
thkartemf: Melba toast
heleskaksad: meltdown (of a person on the spectrum) (heles, sun + kaksad, to burst, to explode; explosion)
*ushyamz: membranophone
asoglo na tzelomes: a trip down memory lane (lit. "out-of-body experience of memories")
ekashalta: menhir, orthostat (borrowed from a word in a Tzelshan language that means "one stone")
kwobatkoledar: menu (of phone numbers on a restroom wall) (kwobat, magic marker + koledar, phone directory)
wovingbaikolas or wovbaik for short: phone bank (woving, telephone + baikolas, center)
phmustra: mephitis (poisonous or malodorous gas)
mabkhiph: meroblastic (made of Ciladian roots: mab, part + khiph, cleavage, cleft)
audesidopen: metacommunication (communicating about communication) (audes-, prefix for a word applied to itself + idopen, message; communication) <----- Word #81,000!
nevtemebkyab: metacommunication (nonverbal communication and subtext) (made of Ciladian roots: nebh, not + temeb, to inhabit, to live in, to reside in + kyab, word)
sakka: methcathinone, cat, ephedrone
polusshukh: Mexican jumping bean (polus, to jump + shukh, fruit)
shitmo: mhorr (Nanger dama mhorr)
kalaga: dama gazelle (Nanger dama dama)
kehhotzaphas: addra (Nanger dama ruficollis)
phuvitkoro: dama gazelle (all subspecies of Nanger dama)

(All of the last four words were borrowings from a language of Kupulshas.)

titivaiga: titivaiga (obscene gesture in old Povoi that entailed pinching one's left nipple or breast); metaphotically, middle finger (as a ~ to the naysayers) (borrowing from Povoian)
hakhos na Milouk: Landau-Pomeranchuk-Migdal effect (lit. "effect of Milouk", Milouk being the surname of a Keitelese scientist who discovered the effect)
gumbamoshut: dairy cow, milch cow (borrowed from a language of Schaza, where humans have domesticated the cow)
baphgus: mimeograph (made of Ciladian roots: baph, purple + gus, ink)
tadruheri: mindfulness exercise (borrowing from Phesandran)
gurez ab Venyas: miracle cure (lit. "medicine from Heaven")
psola dom: miracle mile (psola, plot, lot + dom, big)
karmiwozak: to describe a character physically by having her/him look into the mirror (karmi, physical + wozak, mirror)
fasplitz: to misbecome, to disbecome, to unbecome
lusshit: misopedia (made of Ciladian roots: lus, child + shit, to hate; hate, hatred)
delosona: misery chick (eponymous word)
sloliks: to miswrite
kshimagagamukh or kshimagag for short: miswrite (failed write operation) (from kshima, to write (to a disk), borrowed from kxima, the Javarti word for "to copy" + gagamukh, to botch, to bungle)
oirenus: model (of car) (portmanteau of oiri, year + benus, kind, type, sort)
dzhetzir: jetsir (fetishistic attraction to jatis characters, jatis being a type of Deksadian animation) (borrowing from Deksadian)
khreshmuz: moka pot
pomosh-nenetz: moment of silence (pomosh, air + nenetz, lip)
ghahhuela: ghahhuela (lamb flank served with onions, shallots, and soy sauce) (borrowed from an unnamed language of Dumang)
pritshiguom: monkey plant, trailing velvet plant (Ruellia makoyana)
katmiphis: monochromat (kat, Ciladian for "one" + miph, Ciladian for "color" + -is)
khalmiphis: tetrachromat (khal, Ciladian for "four" + miph + -is)
kattin: monogyny (made from Ciladian roots: kat + tin, wife)
katkhyep: monandry (made from Ciladian roots: kat + khyep, husband)
bopompo or bompompo: monster (person with a huge penis)
kwiv: MICE (milieu, idea, character, event) (acronym for kom, wanzas, idopen, velania, or "place/setting, character, message, plot")
psoshtos: moon pie
bouhiksi: morning star (weapon), morgenstern
nifufar: morepork, mopoke, Tasmanian spotted owl
dopom na iteakes: mosaic virus (lit. "virus of speckles")
helemasbetzith: motherlove (Hazumi word) (helemas, mother + betzith, love)
mephmem: motherlove (Rasaphi word) (borrowing from Ciladian: meph, mother + mem, love (like the love of a parent for a child))
matrakordit: motherlove (Musefi word) (borrowing from Phesandran)
margikhofaid: motorboard (motorized surfboard) (margi, motor + khofaid, surfboard)
golug gudum mui zhozhwo: mountain fig, hairy rock fig (Ficus glumosa) (lit. "red and fuzzy fig")
trethgher: moving violation (treth, to drive + gher, crime)
prahi: mu (neither yes nor no) (borrowing from Phesandran)
rivas-viriz: mudblood (rivas, blood + viriz, grey)
tsheisekh: muesli
bad-kulhet: mouse-head (Muiria hortenseae) (bad, head + kulhet, mushroom)
ksuikan: kamik, mukluk (borrowing from a language of northern Povoi)
ha* hel khodes rimi: mule deer (lit. "deer with long ears")
hwuli: multiply exceptional, twice exceptional, doubly exceptional (hwulis, tuning fork + -i; this comes from the curve that represented these students and their lopsided skills: were low in the middle and high on both sides; its shape was compared to the two prongs of a tuning fork)
egspinkte*: Wuchereria bancrofti
egspinkte*kesos: lymphatic filariasis, mumu, bancroftian filariasis (egspinkte* + kesos, disease)
vangbazadwa: municipal stupidity (vang, municipality + bazadwa, to run amok)
syasyerkamel: houndstooth, dogstooth, pied-de-poule (made of Ciladian roots: sya-, prefix for a past participial adjective + syer, to roast + kamel, chicken; for its resemblance to a roast chicken or turkey)
penkabenka: Cytora (local name from a Tzelshan language with both reduplication and rendaku)
aaizitru: Murraya (exotic borrowing)
phomumeria: muscle (strength: it takes some ~) (phomum, muscle + -eria, suffix to form an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
wabushdzhakedez or wabushdzhak for short: muscle car (wabush-, prefix for false/fake/pseudo- + dzhakedez, racecar)
bilkyab: mussitation (in comatose patient) (borrowed from Ciladian bilkyab, to mouth: bil, lip + kyab)
syasyu syudyed: mutatis mutandis (borrowed from a classical Ciladian phrase, meaning: "the things that are to be changed being changed")
sazyol: mutch (of linen)
psisana: mutch (of muslin)
ashitksegid: mutually assured destruction (ashit, to destroy; destruction + ksegid, to lock horns)
sekhya: lichenology (sekh, lichen + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
semig-vizhartio: scorpion grass, true forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides)
thamuenshezdal X: to prove X wrong; to mythbust (thamuen, false + shezdal, to prove)
eosashezdal X: to prove X right (eosa, true + shezdal)

Idioms:

Zha Tom, esit na wan as Amanda. Tom, meet Amanda. (lit. "Tom, her name is Amanda.")
Ham iskutekhas terfundig we. It works like magic. (lit. "It works reliably/faithfully.")
Av shakti as e luoi, troikoset tzabruv. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. (lit. "When the house is afire, cook a flambé.")

One of my best word-creating sprees evah!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I looked for missing N-words in my English-Kankonian dictionary. I got 70 new words out of it. I decided I didn't feel up to doing the O-words the same day as the N-words, and besides, I had other things to do today.

A sampling:

gezhelbutz: natterjack (gezhel, lizard + butz, toad)
dzhigizeria: natural reaction (dzhigiz, limbic + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
pletzmius: Naugahyde
syubyul: navy bean, haricot, pea bean
bewoulfa: scorpionfly (Mecoptera)
koren-skevia: stonefly (koren, wing + skevia, hatching)

(How did those last two get done during the N-words? Well, I was trying to think of NECO- words, then I thought of "Mecoptera", which is an MECO word, and I realized I didn't have words for either mecopterans or plecopterans.)

vazartrehin: needs assessment (vazart, needs + rehin, to find)
guiskvin: needlefish, long tom (Belonidae)
domizhin: Nehru jacket
oilowotya: nematology (oilowot, nematode + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
mayamah: nelly, giant petrel (Macronectes)
bazhbakt: neurapraxia
branatkaksith: neutron bomb (branat, neutron + kaksith, bomb)
sa!: next! (from the first syllable of sayup, next)
yutuk: niche (hollow part of a wall for a statue)
lohusineph: NIMBY (borrowing from Shaleyan: lohu, far away + sineph, to keep, to preserve)
bonkash: nobber (blow on the head)
rekhrekh: to nod along (reduplication of rekh, sure!)
no: Noh (Japanese musical drama) (Terran borrowing)
khalhhun: qalhhun (type of Mophasian musical drama) (borrowing from Mophasian)
kabuki: kabuki (Terran borrowing)
puweyah: kabuki (pretentious and hollow political posturing) (the word puea (wind) effetely blown out, with the accent on the final syllable)
sikyuphpyag kun: nomen nudum (made of Ciladian roots: si-, prefix for "not" + kyuph, real + pyag, to stand + kun, name)
blizglutz or blitzglutz: nonsense word
puea kratsh: nonsense verse (lit. "purple wind")
marosis mead betat or its initialism mopha mopha bisp: non-aggression principle (lit. "principle against an overstep")
heskikem: narial (heskiki, nostril + -em, suffix for body part adjectives, used with body parts that are part of the head)
hevuhelemi: novercal, stepmotherly (hevuhelemas, stepmother + -i, suffix for adjectives)
hevuhoimi: stepfatherly (hevuhoimas, stepfather + -i)
plat: now, now
vumorping: light anti-tank weapon, LAW (vumor, tank + ping, an onomatopoeia for the sound of a LAW hitting a tank)
navandwit: me, myself, and I (navand, sele-preservation + wit, excerptal form of wir (we), "one of us")

And an idiom derived from that last one:

uhu navandwit: to look out for number one (lit. "to go me, myself, and I")
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yesterday, I did O-words, and got over 200 new words in my Kankonian lexicon.

A sampling:

idmeya (pl. idmeyez): object (~ of my affection) (id, marker for the object of a gerund + meya, person)
geshbasis: oche (gesh, stand + basis, line)
ormoneria: officialdom (ormon, civil servant + -eria, suffix to form an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
khomodzi: ogrish (khomodzio, ogre + -i, adjective-forming suffix)
zaenia: oikumene (zaen, sapient + -ia, suffix to form a place)
troumpia: olay (palm leaves used for being written on) (borrowing from some language of Dumang)
thevanporindo: old ways (traditions that are being forgotten) (thevan, to forget + porindo, folkways)
oitshaueria: old ways (he's back to his ~) (oitshau, once, the way it used to be + -eria)
oitshaui: old (I miss the ~ Peter) (oitshau + -i)
ineminar: onceler (cryptid that has only been sighted once) (in, one + emin, sighting + -ar, suffix to indicate a way: "one-sighting-er")
shil shirodurni: on the way (I have three children and a fourth ~) (shil, as + shiro, birth + durn, to wait + -i)
khetzsemeris: open book (person whose emotions are easily visible) (khetz, easy + semer, to read (a person) +-is, suffix for a person)
tyamudat: ophiolatry (made of Ciladian roots: tyam, snake + udat, worship, to worship)
ildekes: ophthalmic nerve (made of Ciladian roots: il, eye + dekes, root)
vyutgugyus: opinion (of a eoctor: I want a second ~) (made of Ciladian roots: bhyut, best + gugyus, judgment)
heroyis: optician (heroi, glasses + -is)
pirsen-arig tzmofuz: oral tradition (lit. "old spread of the tongue")
kagh: orbiton
kigh: holon, chargon
kough: spinon (the last three borrowed from Achel)
pleosat: anyon (pleos, neither + -at, suffix for subatomic particles)
naleyi: ordinate (arranged regularly in rows) (nalea, array + -i)
lanvirspas or lanvirspass: orientation week (lanvir, initiation + spas, week)
appib: origo (made of Ciladian roots: ap, I, me + pib, point)
wudanpoheltzas: orography (mountain features of a region) (wudan, mountain + poheltzas, geography)
wudanya: orology, orography (wudan + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
gyatisti: orichalcum
rursamgyag: orthorhombic (made of Ciladian roots: rursam, trapezoid + gyag, angle)
tuthelkhakha: oropharynx (tuthel, open + khakha, pharynx)
tuthelkhakhi: oropharyngeal (pertaining to the oropharynx) (tuthelkhakha + -i)
shpadikhakhi: oropharyngeal (pertaining to both the mouth and pharynx) (shpad, mouth + -i + khakha + -i)
nikaduntyuph: osmophobia (made of Ciladian roots: nikadun, smell, odor + tyuph, fear)
dumanudat: osteolatry (made of Ciladian roots: duman, bone + udat)
thitzbibish: Oswaldia muscaria
drim pwankh: Osgood's rat (borrowing from some Dumangian language)
pinyanizh: Othelloesque (falsely believing one's innocent lover is cheating) (Pinyan, name of a mythological figure from Kankonia's history + -izh, suffix to form an adjective from a proper name)
Wagadugu: Ouagadougou (Terran borrowing)
Emziditshakhwa: Mzidichaqwa (city in Kupulshas)
mudamanori: outarmed (muda(pasidal), a Shaleyan borrowing meaning "arms race" + manori, defeated)
heszhuhovrir or heszhu for short: to draw (a gun) (hes, out (of) + zhuhovrir, holster)
paraiheszhuhovrir or paraiheszhu: to outdraw (with guns) (parai, over + heszhuhovrir)
feluluhatshaf or its haplology feluhatshaf: to outdress (felu, fashion + luhatshaf, to surpass)
themetzvunk: to laugh down, to outlaugh (themetz, to laugh + vunk, to crush, to squabash)
grezazadizitap: to outpatriot (grezaza, patriot + dizitap, to outdo)
myuus: storage space
oelmyuus: out of room, out of space, out of storage space (oel-, without + myuus)
pringhuba: to outplace (prin, new + ghuba, post)
paraizikheth: to outshoot (with gun) (parai + zikheth, to shoot (a gun))
paraibrik: to outshoot (at archery) (parai + brik, to shoot (an arrow))
manalki: outstate (borrowing from a Tzelshan language -- cf. English boondocks/Tagalog bunduk)
shrig: to train (Tom ~s to be a great basketball player)
paraishrig: to outtrain (parai + shrig)
pomashkluhatshaf: to outvote (pomash, [voter] turnout + luhatshaf)
khatart: to outvoice
heyiyetkhatart: to outscream (heyiyet, to scream + khatart)
hasakhatart: to outyell (hasa, to yell + khatart)
shwemnes: outwash
abehisol: outway (ab, from + ehis ol, LAN (the letters E O, short for ekeubo oshoki, lit. "nearby configuration"))
geye*itzseldu: to outwinter (geye*itz, outside + seldu, winter)
lihararar: to overbusy oneself
pwato: to call (at a card game) (borrowed from Tentan, pwato, to announce, to call (in a card game))
paipwato: to overcall (at a card game) (borrowed from Tentan: pai, after (in chronological order) + pwato)
ghedzh: to pit (in racing sports)
ehemghedzh: overcut; to overcut (in racing sports) (ehem, after + ghedzh)
kalukghedzh: undercut; to undercut (in racing sports) (kaluk, before + ghedzh)
zenektyahal: overlight (excessive light) (zenekt, to blind + yahal, light)
lemeverashpi: to overlink (lem, too much, excessive, excessively, too + everashpi, hyperlink)
trilsihil: to overplace (trils, high + ihil, ranking)
lemwuar: to overpour (pour too much) (lem + wuar, to pour)
sodwuar: to overpour (pour atop) (sod, atop + wuar)
nabahaiphrutz: overpull (in an oil well) (nabahai, upper + phrutz, to pull; pull)
vyukhesti: overstage (above the stage in a theater) (vyu, above + khesti, stage)
vutuskhesti: understage (beneath the stage in a theater) (vutus, below + khesti)
kavastzoi: to overstand (of a copse) (kavas, to decay; to deteriorate + tzoi, to sit)
bakhorah: oversuit
lemshrig: to overtrain (lem + shrig)
ehemeuer: to overtravel (ehem + euer, to move)
slebdurn: to outwait (sleb, past + durn)
mozopo: emu apple (Owenia acidula) (borrowing from a language of Didzhakanga)
kugsyesyohowis: oxo alcohol (kugsyes, syngas + yohowis, alcohol)
hyuwa: cylinder, gas cylinder, gas bottle
oshkos-hyuwa: oxygen tank (oskhos, oxygen + hyuwa)

And an idiom:

Thakala payoas hous oul *akhun, amon zunskaud.: Out of sight, out of mind. (Lit. "A sheep thinks only about the pasture, not the tundra.")
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

In the Lehola megathread, I mentioned that over the course of four days, I got 592 new Kankonian words (actually over 600, since I found a few more missing pre- words after I made that announcement) looking for missing P-words. So here's a sampling:
Spoiler:
kokukhan: Pacific salmon, Pacific trout (Oncorhynchus) (borrowing from a language of Kupulshas)
retelphunit: water balloon filled with paint (retel, paint + phunit, balloon)
yughelverimlaya: paleornithology (yughel, ancient + verim, bird + -laya, branch of biology suffix)

(Many other words like "paleoherpetology" and "paleomalacology")

shikhaweyiniphasham: paleolibertarianism (borrowing from Shaleyan: shikha, traditional + weyin, free + phasham, ideology)
kitikti: palfrey (borrowing from a language of Schaza, where the horse has been domesticated)
shedghor: Pallas' cat
meyuth: Bell's palsy
tzilpizibu: Panamanian golden frog (borrowing from indigenous language of Povoi)
Pandzhiya: Pangaea (borrowed from English)
Kamuka'o'o: Kamuka'o'o (prehistoric mega-continent on Kankonia)
tyemeppid: papermaking machine (made from Ciladian roots: tyemep, paper + pid, to make; to do; act; action)
strapha: palmier
pomoshbayis: paracosm (pomosh, air + bayis, world)
avagayis: parader (avagai, parade + -is, suffix for a person) <----- Word #82,000!
ouib: parallel universe (borrowing from Achel)
yaptabo: paracone
bikhtimon: paralophosaur
gurphed: parenting guide, parenting book (made of Ciladian roots: gur, parent + phed, book)
kyutastamkumiv: parusia (borrowed from Ciladian: kyutas, drama + tam, now + kumibh, era, age, period; time (our ~); tense (of a verb))
ksodito: parma (shield)
kudani*: parr (kudan, salmon + -i*, suffix for offspring of an animal)
kwinzikudan: smolt (kwinzi, shiny + kudan)
wetzeinkomps: party-loyal (wetzein, party + komps, chummy)
ashpawash: to party hearty (ash, a genre of Shaleyan music similar to rock + pawash, splash; to splash)
gada*emad: passgang (gada(nik), ski; to ski + *emad, step)
dalpnik: pat answer
aidirarzint: doctor-patient confidentiality. physician-patient privilege (aidir, patient + arzint, to protect; protection)
nyezoi: to peace out (experience an altered state of consciousness) (borrowing from Shaleyan ñezoy)
eme mei bi wan: peace out!, go in peace (borrowing from Shaleyan eme mey bi wan, lit. "go/come with peace!")
biptzoub: pea comb
waranzoukh: rose comb
biptzoubish: peaness (resembling a pea comb) (biptzoub +-ish, suffix meaning "the state of being a")
bipish: peaness (inherent characteristics of a pea) (bipi, pea + -ish)
nikimitzi: peanut beetle (niki, peanut + mitzi, beetle)
kalstem mu ozia: pear whelk (lit. "whelk in the shape of garlic")
zhilutu: lightning whelk (borrowing from local name)
espmoibius: egg case of the lightning whelk
khirbas na Khari or khirbas na Salva: great scallop, St. James shell (Pecten maximus) (lit. "scallop of Khari" or "scallop of Salva", Khari being the first man and Salva the first woman according to the Tzalathic creation story)
tzoya: pectin button
rotob: peen
bibutatiy: pelea, melicope (borrowing from a local name)
digintalafa: pencil skirt (digines, stovepipes, pencil pants + talafa, skirt)
hallalaud: perfect harmony (hal-, prefix for all + lalaud, harmony)
hwevos perikos: huevos pericos (borrowing from Spanish)
hwevos rantsheros: huevos rancheros (borrowing from Spanish)
gaba degazan: gaba degazan (fried eggs served on tortillas with tashiangik sauce and colorful peppers) (local name from a language of Povoi)
gaba Lebazid: gaba l'Ebazid (scrambled eggs with dobushatz sauce and a mix of tropical fruits) (local name from a language of Povoi)
dihim: perpend stone
murawa: perse (dark blue-grey color)
myarudtyush: personality test (made of Ciladian roots: myarud, character + tyush, test; to test)
myarudmyu: personality type (made of Ciladian roots: myarud + myu, type, kind, sort, species)
kobphar: phaeton, dark photon, heavy photon (Achel borrowing: kobh, dark matter + ppar, photon)
sehwoa: phillipsite
vyegphuk: venipuncture (made of Ciladian roots: bhyeg, vein + phuk, hole; to puncture)
paibrakh: pibroch (Terran borrowing)
nakutshavbi: nakutyavbi (type of panpipes from Opeg with 12 pipes made from the vbekar tree) (borrowing from a language of Opeg)
omotshavbi" omotyavbi (funerary music played on nakutyavbi) (borrowing from a language of Opeg)
peikol-strapha: piddock (peikol, shell + strapha)
vainatzosarkhak: piece of a torn-down border wall, such as the Berlin Wall (vainatzos, freedom + arkhak, rock)
khameris: Mediterranean scallop, pilgrim's scallop (Pecten jacobaeus) (from the name of a Hazumi saint)
bebeltabobis: pinch hitter (bebel, instead of + tabob, bat + -is)
reinkaz: pit (for bloodsport)
plahaiks: to pitch (a tent)
nakiyalpa: pittosporum
nakiyalpanakhi: pittosporaceous (nakiyalpa + nakha, clan; taxonomic family + -i, adjective suffix)
elgindorizh: plastic (~ hippie) (from Elgindor, name of a "plastic" khemehekis in Kankonian history + -izh, suffix for forming adjectives out of people's names)
heshama: parallel play (hesh, alongside + ama, play)
hoistastihim: pledge drive (hoista, fundraiser + stihim, run)
khivaded: plication (surgical procedure) (made of Ciladian roots: khibh, together + aded, to squeeze)
etekh-hen: pocket money (etekh, on one's person + hen, money)
shai*ap-e*an: pocket pet (shai*ap, ball + e*an, fur)
g*autes: to point (of a hunting dog)
adoyezi: pointy (attempting to make a point, as in WP:POINT) (adoyez, point; to make a point + -i)
povu: point (on rewards card) (borrowing from the Tentan word for apple)
zhrakhagdopom: poliovirus (zhrakhag, polio + dopom, virus)
grantzdeshing: position paper (grantz, policy + deshing, essay)
radadmakyek: polyrhythm (made of Ciladian roots: radad, multiple + makyek, rhythm)
kod-kluromb: ponyfoot, ponysfoot, dichondra (kod, hoof + kluromb, tarpan)
popabop: poon tree
popabopnakhi: calophyllaceous (popabop + nakha + -i)
migertyuph: pornophobia (fear of prostitutes) (made of Ciladian roots: miger, prostitute + tyuph, fear)
ezitzityuph: pornophobia (fear of pornography) (ezitzi, pornography + tyuph)
karmieueri: poseable (of a figurine/action figure) (karmas, body + -i, euer, to move + -i)
in-talmavra-bam-talmavras: one potato, two potato (lit. "one talmavra, two talmavras", a talmavra being a tropical fruit of Kankonia)
syumos: potage
byou*i: pottage
kantzidan: postilion (Yay! Now I can translate "My postilion has been stricken by lightning"!)
halbemolfash: praise-all (hal- + bemol, to praise + -fash, agent noun suffix -- and yes, I also created halnawandfash for "blame-all")
Lehoyeho: praise party (echoing the name of Leho, the God in Tzalathic religions)
dendratoskwint: prayer (he hasn't got a ~) (dendratos, hope + skwint, glimmer, scintilla)
mefeshsheiz: to preage (mefesh, to age + sheiz, fast)
bwokidasikav: pre-cavity (bwokid, cavity + asikav, precursor)
stapes: predrinks (stap, archaic word for "first" + -es, plural suffix)
durusenles: precontenst (durus, to wait + enles, time)

Lots and lots of pre- words prefixed with kaluk- (before)

kalsephel: preform (something that has been shaped but is not in its final form) (kals, early + ephel, shape)
asabikuri: prehung (asa, already + bikur, to hang + -i)
ehemdelikas: postideological (ehem, after + deliko, ideology + -as, plural suffix)
kalukirkom: preintroduction (before the introduction of a bill/law) (kaluk + irkom, to put, as in irkom pai ye (to introduce a bill/law, lit. "to put in")
kalukin, kalukbam, and kalukem: prebreakfast, prelunch, and predinner, respectively (kaluk + in, one, bam, two, or em, three)
ikthus: mentum (on insects)
libed: mentum (on snails) (from the Ciladian word for chin)
palikthus: postmental (behind an insect's mentum) (pal, behind + ikthus)
yelikthus: premental (in front of an insect's mentum) (yel, in front of + ikthus)
pallibed: postmental (behind a snail's mentum) (pal + libed)
yellibed: premental (in front of a snail's mentum) (yel + libed)
hantwebrekwi: premixed (of a drink) (han, ready, set + twebrekwi, mixed)
sabwamedra: premotion, premovement (Phesandran borrowing)
yan kiul: preparty (lit. "white party", created as an antonym to yan karak, lit. "black party", the word for afterparty)
kalualirkom: to preplace (kalual, ahead of time, beforehand + irkom)
zekiokh: to preplay (khoikez (to replay) backwards)
kalualphortir: to prepunish (kalual + phortir, to punish)
kalslaza: to preregister; preregistration (to vote, etc.) (kals + laza, to register, registration)
dankhanel: to preregister; preregistration (a scientific study) (borrowing from Ciladian: dan, before + khanel, study)
ghima: run; to run (a computer program) (borrowed from Javarti, from a Jukasta root meaning "to operate")
sugoghima: prerun; to prerun (borrowed from Javarti, from the Jukasta roots sugo, before + ghima)
dansum: presleep (made of Ciladian roots: dan + sum, sleep)
tzaziveria-hankeg: systemic circulation (tzaziveria, circulation + hankeg, aorta)
tzaziverihankegi: presystemic (tzaziveria-hankeg with -i added)
*uvreth: penal colony
ad*uvreth: transporation; transport, to (deport to a penal colony) (ad, to or for + *uvreth)
kaluk*uvreth: pretransportation (kaluk + *uvreth)
shiam koing: preverb (borrowed from a language of Dumang that has preverbs)
ovaivitheo ad edemeshates or ol ehis for short: previewer (program that creates a preview) (lit. "browser for previews")
kalsovaifash: previewer (person who sees a movie/TV show before its release) (kals + ovai, to watch, to view + -fash)
endtzo: prevoicing (from the name of such a sound in an indigenous language of Kankonia)
wavineziz or wav for short: print (developed photograph) (wavinez, to develop (film) + -iz, passive suffix)
dudam shakiya: private life (lit. "secret side")
ayaspasfinetzias: personal life (ayaspas, life + finetzia, detail + -as)
shirothaish: product (the ~ of hippie parents) (shiro, birth + thaish, conclusion)

Lots of words with mail- (pro-) and mead- (anti-)

meadtethes: pro-life (against abortion, the death penalty, sapient euthanasia, democratic genocide, etc.) (mead + tethes, to kill; used for a broader sense of "pro-life" than "anti-abortion")
pukush: pronk; to pronk
syun dekhtel: pro rata (borrowing from Ciladian, lit. "as per the calculations")
hesez ad meadmemelas or hu mopha for short: protected class (lit. "demographic group for antidiscrimination")
suid-bamyif: protocone (suid, cusp + bamyif, catfish)
onosomolaski: proto-fascist (on os, will be + omolaski, fascist)
phumbukh: protograph (original manuscript): (made of Ciladian roots: phum, first + bukh, to write)
begini nakaphut: protohistory (lit. "etic history")
tema: protoplast (first human/sapient)
sidpasar: protology, origin story (made of Ciladian roots: sid, origin, source; from (a beginning point) + pasar, story)
phumnyemes: protologist (first person to name a new species) (made of Ciladian roots: phum + nyem, to name + -es, agent noun soffix in Ciladian)
dandagis: protosphere (made of Ciladian roots: dan + dagis, cell)
byuwesiy: protosyllable (in birdsong) (borrowed from a language of some species that has birdsong-singing)
khem: protosyllable (in human speech)
phumvut: prototheme (made of Ciladian roots: phum + bhut, to spin (fabric))
shupvut: deuterotheme (made of Ciladian roots: shup, second + bhut)
sikhtyuph: psephophobia (made of Ciladian roots: sikh, pebble; to vote + tyuph)
zheikiakh: pseudograph (graph with loops) (borrowing from Achel: zhei, loop (in graph theory) + kiac, graph)
wabushkhemehek: pseudocounterculture (wabush-, prefix for fake/false + khemehek, counterculture (from the Shaleyan word for rebellion)
gdemeria: psionics (gdem, psion + -eria, suffix to form an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
soboswanak: psychobiography, psychography (sobos, psychology + wanak, biography)
dyeskyuphram: psychograph, spirit photograph (made of Ciladian roots: dyes, spirit + kyuphram, photograph (kyuph, real + ram, picture))
sfethbra: psyllium seed
kangimuvra: pterophyllum (bennettitalean)
kangimuvranakhi: williamsoniaceous (kangimuvra + nakha + -i)
ratiktyuph: ptochophobia (made of Ciladian roots: ratik, poor + tyuph)
gyeliktyuph: plutophobia (made of Ciladian roots: gyelik, rich + tyuph)
gyeliktyuphi: plutophobic (gyeliktyuph + -i)
gyeliktyuphis: plutophobe (gyeliktyuph + -is) <---- Word #82,500!!!!!!!!!!
bazep: public masturbation; to masturbate in public (as criminal charge in some countries -- not illegal in Kankonia, though) (borrowed from the Epselet language of the Tumarosphere countries of Saros, which have laws against public masturbation)
grentzumb: puha, sow thistle, hare lettuce (Sonchus)
popomo: puku (Kobus vardonii) (borrowed from a local language of Kupulshas)
kulimpa: pulu, hapu'u pulu, manfern (Cibotium) (borrowed from a language of the Tzelshas Islands)
kulimpanakhi: cibotiaceous (kulimpa + nakha + -i)
tebespo: court shoe, pump
garghshfol: to pun-ish (expose to a dreadful pun) (gargh, to groan + shfol, to dump (text or data))
houmblah: to punt a question
kadul fi'im: lavender marriage (borrowing from Nyelizaph)
nuvwashit: puruí (Alibertia edulis) (borrowed from local name)
putinizh: Putinesque (Putin + -izh)
eksyuphsaph: pygophilia (made of Ciladian roots: eksyuph, butt, derrie`re + saph, love, liking, philia)
bzrizho: pygarg, Siberian roe deer, eastern roe deer (Capreolus pygargus) (native name in Dumang)
tekdil: pyrophile (made of Ciladian roots: tek, fire + dil, love; to love (eros))
tekuran: pyrolagnia (made of Ciladian roots: tek + uran, sexual arousal)
eksyuphuran: pygolagnia (sexual arousal from derrie`res) (made of Ciladian roots: eksyuph + uran)
robotari: pyrrhuline (robotar, bullfinch + -i)
katudwed: prebend, prebendary (Phesandran borrowing)
tlinshem: to prebreak (break into smaller pieces)
upalaszand: prebranch (upalas, branch + zand, base)
shikhinge*: rattle (of rattlesnake)
shikhbob: prebutton

Idioms:

G*ementas kravik, inyas rakor.: No pain, no gain. (Lit. "Breaks a toe, becomes great".)
ama hom bonas: to paint by numbers (do something the simplest way) (Lit. "Play by the dice" -- something I'm sure all the Dungeons & Dragons fans here would like)
vugis hing hugis: pick your poison (lit. "Snake or poisonous mushroom")
esin oor gasadar: to be pretty as a picture (lit. "be pretty like a mannequin")
Nick Hauess houmiel tiuku o phrutzas.: Nick knows which buttons to push. (Lit. "Nick knows which trigger to pull.")

Wow. I find myself relying on Ciladian-root inkhorn words a lot more than when I first created the language of Ancient Ciladia.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I did Q-words for Kankonian today. Q's a pretty small section of English's lexicon, but I still managed to get 24 new words!

Here are ALL of them!

tshigong: qigong (borrowed from Mandarin)
yeiltol: quaich
pukdyuv: quale (borrowing from Ciladian: puk, self; own + dyubh, to see; to look (at); vision, sight, eyesight; to show)
ghoidathire*: quango (ghoida, government + thire*, tether)
Kwawar: Quaoar (Terran borrowing)
zrini (adj.); zrini we (adv.): in close quarters, at close quarters (zrin, pilchard, sardine + -i, adjective suffix)
wanumfash: quencher (wanum, to quench + -fash, agent noun suffix)
istalango: quickdraw
rogolya: queen scallop, quin (Aquipecten opercularis)
ghib: quink, preon (borrowing from Achel jib)
kyurartar: quint (for firefighters) (kyu, five + rartar, vehicle)
zankyuar: quinzaine (poem with fifteen syllables) (zan, ten + kyu + -ar, suffix to indicate a way: "fifteen-er")
ranzankyuam: quinzaine (fifteenth day counting from a feast day) (ran, since + zan + kyu + -am, ordinal number suffix)
ranfuram: octave (eighth day counting from a feast day) (ran + fur, eight + -am)
ransemam: ransemam (sixth day counting from a feast day) (ran + sem, six + -am)
ranzaninam: ranzaninam (eleventh day counting from a feast day) (ran + zan + in, one + -am)

The last two words reflect the five-day week in Kankonia.

nezgurg: quern
bolgandz: cuisse, cuisset, quish
Argaszizitas: Argaszizitas (ancient sect of Hazumas that promoted having as many children as possible) (argas, many + zizit, seed + -as, suffix for a religion)
Argasziziti: Argasziziti (adherent of Argaszizitas) (Argaszizitas + -i, suffix for the adherent of a religion)
sandau: relatively prime, coprime (borrowed from the Poparanians or some other ancient mathematicians)
sandawindu: totient (a derivation from sandau in that language)
howakzadi: quartzic (howakzad, quartz + -i)
Kworn: Quorn (Terran borrowing)

EDIT: I goofed up. I said pukdyuv was from Shaleyan. I meant CILADIAN.
♂♥♂♀