What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Pabappa
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Pabappa »

Icecap Moonshine

pàṭēy "wife" (pàt "wife" + ʷ-hēy "woman")
tadoh "husband" (tá "husband" + noh "man")

This is an extremely high-maintenance language, such that it's taken more work on my part to churn out just these two words than it would for me to add another hundred words to Poswa, even assuming that I worked out the etymologies carefully to ensure they didn't collide with anything. I'm starting to give in to pressure, and my future work on Icecap Moonshine might be not quite so perfectionist, ... if I start calling it something else it's my way of saying I'm working with a draft of the language rather than an immutable part of the final product.

edit: and this makes the word for queen poṣēy, which is funny to me because in the earliest form of Moonshine it was something like āda, which reminds me of Ada Posey, a name I knew back then from https://www.c-span.org/person/?adaposey .
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I made a decision that laryngeals can be syllabic in Lihmelinyan; it's just very rare. They can also follow stop consonants, something I initially disallowed:

ethuént /ɛt.'xʷɛnt/ (an ugly-sounding word if there ever was one) "they attacked", from téhumi - "I attack"

As is the case in -u- stem athematic verbs, the u becomes wé in the plural, e.g. tehuémen "we attack"

(Spelling conventions dictate that xʷ is always spelled <hu>)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 19 Jul 2020 19:05ethuént /ɛt.'xʷɛnt/ (an ugly-sounding word if there ever was one)
I happen to think it sounds really nice. [:D]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

In the past few days, I've done a lot with Gondolan. All kinds of clauses and stuff, derivational morphology, and I've fixed a lot of issues that apparently have existed for some time without being noticed. That said, Gondolans' reference grammar now has 171 pages!
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I redid the sound changes connecting Tim Ar and Proto-O—that is, the sound changes that derive them from Proto-Tim Ar-O. Still need to work on the Proto-O changes some more…
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Bob wrote: 18 Jul 2020 08:04
Khemehekis wrote: 17 Jul 2020 10:41 Who wants to guess what song I translated?
[:D] No idea. Bulletproof Nothing to Lose Fire Away song? :?:
You mean "Titanium" by David Guetta and Sia? No, that's not it.

Hint #1: It contains most of the words in that post.

Hint #2: It was released as a single, but never made the Top 100 on the Billboard chart.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
littlesalmon
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by littlesalmon »

I wrote my first ever poem in itota itiko. Unfortunately, I do not have the resolve to gloss it all, but there is a translation here. Concerning the stress: it nearly always falls on the first vowel, and the only exception here is the second word.
The rhythmic structure is a mess, but I still like it.

Original:
Spoiler:

ala talo. kati kata
nanomita ji ji ta ji·
ilomi vo pa taja.
ilapi laji taja kata.
ilaki kati miti taja lata
isa.
imali jisa so jisa so tasa so jisa.
alani pa taja itota ma.
miti taja ilapi alani pa
taja.
laji taja lata·
ilaki itota itota ma.
Translated:
Spoiler:

Light blue light. It is
493 nanometers
(I'm not really sure);
Yet I like it.
It makes me remember water.

There's a 3, a 3, a 4 and a 3 (note: lang uses base 5).
I don't perceive them.
I remember, but I don't perceive.

I like water;
This was causing everything.
216 always explains everything. ilaki onito itota ti ji ji ti akina itota ma. 216 всегда всё объясняет.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

littlesalmon wrote: 01 Aug 2020 23:50 I wrote my first ever poem in itota itiko.
Yay! Invented language poetry!

Have you considered any of the mechanics of poetry in this language that you'd care to describe?
littlesalmon
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by littlesalmon »

Not deliberately and not before writing this poem, but it coalesced into something while I was writing.

Basically, constancy of line length isn't always adhered to: if there are minor length changes between lines, some words can go entirely unstressed so that there is an equal number of stressed syllables in them, and one-word lines exist; also poems almost never have a simple rhyme scheme. However, any word that appeared at the end of a line must rhyme with another one (preferably at the end of a different line), and additional internal rhymes are strongly encouraged.

Rhymes I can't quite figure out how to explain but, for example, moni /'moni/ and mono /'mono/ would rhyme, as would moni and soni /'soni/, but moni and sono would be considered an imperfect rhyme, and moni and monika /'monika/ wouldn't rhyme at all; ilakita /'ilaki,ta/ would perfectly rhyme with akini pa /'akini 'ta/, but not with akini pa /'akini 'pa/, and ila ta /'ila 'ta/ would be the same (with these exact words/phrases too).
216 always explains everything. ilaki onito itota ti ji ji ti akina itota ma. 216 всегда всё объясняет.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Pabappa wrote: 18 Jul 2020 15:02 Icecap Moonshine
its been almost a month since my last post here and ....i've accomplished very little. as i said then, this language has a very poor return on investment ratio compared to my other languages such as Poswa and Pabappa, but I really really want to get this right.

Im trying out a very odd verbal system that marks all content words for gender, person, number, and tense ... even the nouns. So for example the word poṣēy above ends in the 3rd person feminine singular suffix -ēy, and therefore if that noun is the agent of a present tense verb, that verb will also end in -ēy. I dont plan to mark tense on the nouns, even though I just said I would .... the contradiction is resolved by having nouns take phonologically reduced forms of the affixes when they are at the head of a clause that ends in a verb; for example /ēy/ becomes /i/. It so happens that this merges the tenses at least partially. Person markers will remain distinct however because they are also the possession markers (e.g. "my glove", etc).

Forgot to add that this person marking will also partially mark the patient along with the agent, so e.g. /poṣēy/ will have separate forms for intransitive, male patient, female patient, neuter patient, etc.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've done more work on Gondolan, particularly on dialects and registers. The reference grammar is now 196 pages (and keep in mind lexicon is stored in a dif document), and it's been cleaned up so it's formatted alright. I'm really proud that I've finally managed to get a conlang to a decently developed state :D.

Also I've done stuff with my other conlangs, but it's all pretty minor.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

More of Icecap Moonshine:

fàler sleep flower
This is indefinite and unmarked for number: can mean "a sleep flower", "some sleep flowers", or sleep flowers as a class.
fàlaz the sleep flower
fàlez the sleep flowers
fàlaž her sleep flower; a sleep flower with a feminine possessor
fàlež her sleep flowers
fàlaš her own sleep flower
-š is distinct from -ž, and seen as more basic, even though it is ultimately a derived form of -ž.
fàleš her own sleep flowers

There is an affix that varies between -ēy ~ i, marking feminine singular 3rd person agents. I'll just use /-i/ here for simplicity's sake.

fàlazi This can mean one of two things.
The first and most common usage is "she, with her sleep flower" ... but it distinctly marks two different female participants; one is the agent, the other is the possessor of the flower. The other meaning is the sleep flower itself acting as an agent, which requires it to change from neuter to feminine gender. Note also that this is spelled with zi because /z/ and /ž/ are merged before front vowels. This means also that "she, with the sleep flower" is also expressed this way, though the language assumes any such construction must have a second human participant and so I don't consider it a third meaning.
fàlezi This means "she, with her sleep flowers". There is no ambiguity this time because -i is a singular feminine ending, but the /-e-/ marks the flowers as a plural.
fàlesi "she, with her own sleep flowers".
fàlasci "she, with her own sleep flower". Where one might expect to see *fàlasi, instead /sc/ is found. This is due to different development of the original morphemes going back more than 6,000 years. It's quite possible that I'll regularize it, but things like this are natural, so I may decide to keep it this way.

This language uses feminine gender as default; to indicate masculine gender in any way additional morphemes are required. All I've decided firmly on so far is that fàlazen means "his sleep flower" and that the masculine form of the feminine -ēy ~ -i morpheme is -noh ~ -ṇu. But the construction of analogous words may be different, ... for example "he, with his sleep flowers" might be something besides the expected fàlazēṇu.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I'm tinkering with a dialect of my old Gothish (Crimean Gothic) conlang, one spoken this time in the Balkans, perhaps corresponding to the rough Dobruja region of Romania. Unlike the former conlang, this language has much stronger influences from the Balkan Sprachbund. Like the North Germanic languages, this language attaches the definite article to the end of the noun, instead of having it precede it.

Here are some examples of the definite article in the feminine, masculine and neuter gender respectively:

щарно ščarno "star" щарното ščarnoto "the star"
мена mena "moon" мената menata "the moon"
хус hus "house" хусът huset "the house"

(forms are ad hoc and liable to change)

I've noticed that the form of the definite article is very similar to Bulgarian, perhaps alluding to a common ancestor. The major difference is that in Bulgarian, та is the feminine form while here it is the masculine, and то is the masculine while here it is the feminine. The neuter article ът is identical in both languages.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Hmm .... comparing yours to mine makes me realize that if i ever wanted to make a standalone definite article, all I'd need to do is pick a short word with a simple meaning and use the -az, -ez, -aš, etc suffixes that I already have. For what its worth, the Scandinavian languages seem to have derived their articles from the distal demonstrative cognate to English "that", possibly ultimately the same root as Slavic.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Aren’t the Scandinavian definite articles from hinn ← *jainaz, cognate with English yon?

hestur + hinn → hesturinn
etc.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

DesEsseintes wrote: 17 Aug 2020 08:39 Aren’t the Scandinavian definite articles from hinn ← *jainaz, cognate with English yon?

hestur + hinn → hesturinn
etc.
Correct, the north germanic article and the article I have used are from different sources. My article is from *sa which through analogy became *þa.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I spent some time tweaking Alál's person-marking to be a little more to my liking, and I am happy with the result (I really wanted to have the root vowel incorporated into every conjugation), but it does mean I'll be spending a good bit more time going back through translations and updating things. Oh dear.

Some test conjugations of verbs with the three possible root vowels (a ı u):

I'm also making good progress in putting a proper noun lexicon together, and of the new words coined I'm quite fond of hkukhakàuḳ [çkokçǝˈqɑvŋ] 'hailstorm' and zahàkaaḳa [ʃǝˈçɑg(ǝ)ŋǝ] 'companionway (on a ship) / elevator shaft'.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I’ve been spending some time taking a hard look at what I like and don’t like about Híí, and I’ve managed to break through some mental barriers. Suffice it to say that there are now words like:
né’fıısuht
tsweırr’nııyó’ne

and téíłł’ło’oohsto

That is all.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Pabappa wrote: 16 Aug 2020 23:05 fàlaz the sleep flower
fàlez the sleep flowers
fàlaž her sleep flower; a sleep flower with a feminine possessor
fàlež her sleep flowers
fàlaš her own sleep flower
-š is distinct from -ž, and seen as more basic, even though it is ultimately a derived form of -ž.
fàleš her own sleep flowers
Are sleep flowers soft? (Falaz is the word for soft in Kankonian.)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rainbowcult »

I added noun cases. Lots of noun cases. They're all going to be optional, just for speed and clarity. Here's what I added so far:

Accusative case: arrWORD
Nominative case: valWORD
Dative case: apWORD
Genitive case: ta,aWORD
Vocative case: lemWORD
Abessive case (without): teWORDte
Ablative case (from): meWORD
Adessive case (at): jeWORD
Allative case (to): teWORD
Benefactive case (before): reWORD
Elative case (out of): heWORD
Inessive case (in): geWORD

I have a big list pulled on on wikipedia and I'm just adding the ones I like.
♂♥♂♀