Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Khemehekis »

Wow!

Here's Tsendyasek, the alphabet for the Vlchichi language:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3kV5B1C

Each of the three columns shows 11-12 of the 35 letters. For each letter are listed the letter, its transliteration, and its name (like "alpha" or "gimel").
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 28 May 2022 05:01
Here's Tsendyasek, the alphabet for the Vlchichi language:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3kV5B1C

Each of the three columns shows 11-12 of the 35 letters. For each letter are listed the letter, its transliteration, and its name (like "alpha" or "gimel").
That's a cool alphabet! I like it. It reminds me of Armenian writing.

Skrytam has three columns too! Very interesting. This is the Skrytam alphabet, used to write Basha Humrayan back in the old days:

I made Skrytam intentionally primitive looking, because it's supposed to be primitive, where it was used around the same time as cuneiform.

I also made Skrityam very easy to remember, because there are really only 7 Sounds, which are the Sounds of the first column, which spells out SKRYTAM; and the 7 colors in a rainbow, and the 7 primordial elements of nature/reality: 1) Mind, 2) Spirit, 3) Aether, 4) Plasma, 5) Gas, 6) Liquid, 7) Solid. The other two columns are "octaves" of the first column. Meaning the Sound "sh" is an "octave" of the "S" sound, and the "ch" sound is a higher "octave" of the "S." And so the SKRYTAM matches up with the 7 primary notes in music and so on. "Skrita" in Humrayan means "Writing / Letter / Culture." In ancient Humrayan, the suffix -AM used to be the definitive article suffix, and so "Skritam" meant "The Writing / The Alphabet."

And so, you only need to remember the first seven letter and their sounds. I made the form/shape of the letters easy to remember also. It's a pattern. The prong in the letter /s/ sticks up, the prong in the letter /k/ is right angled, the prong in the letter /r/ sticks down. The letter /y/i/ is the middle letter and has two prongs that are right angled. The letter /sh/ is just the letter /s/ with a second prong. And so on.

I also made the entire Skrytam alphabet readable if you turn it upside down! If you turned the Skrytam alphabet upside down, the first column still spells SKRYTAM! This is my third version of the Skrytam alphabet. Many years ago I had different characters, but using the same Skrytam format/pattern and stuff.

I also made the Skrytam alphabet so that it makes dialects very easily, by "shifting" the sound of a phoneme/letter to the right. It works with real dialects of real languages. For example, the Cantonese word for a "god" is "San." If you shift the /s/ to the right, you get the word "Shan," which is the Mandarin word for a "god/deity." Tag is German or "day." If you shift the /t/ to the right, you get Dag, which is Dutch for "day." And so on.

You should make a font for your alphabet!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Made the new avatar that you can see on the right. Made the animation a bit slower; now it's 39 frames of action packed adventure, as compared to the previous 20 frames. It's also a lot less jarring, and much more aesthetically nice than the loading screen. Only 9KB.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Cool avatar Qwed!

Well I got the old rom-lang itch again, and after stumbling upon All4Ɇn's Gallo-Tuscan conlang I was inspired to do something similar with the Tuscan Gorgia. I reckon this language would be spoken in the northern Apennine Mountains, though for now I will leave the exact details vague as to give myself a bit more linguistic wiggle room.

The basic sound changes behind the tuscan gorgia (V_V):

p > ɸ
t > θ
k > x

Furthermore intervocalic voiced consonants also lenite to fricatives:

b > β
d > ð
g > ɣ

In order to make these phonemic, I am thinking of simplifying geminates (as in Northern Italian), so that /θ/ and /t/ contrast in those positions.

la coda > la xo.ða "tail"
la vita > la βi.θa "life"
battere > ba.te.re "to hit"

Pretty cool alternations, don't you think? Currently thinking of what more to add.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 29 May 2022 03:31That's a cool alphabet! I like it. It reminds me of Armenian writing.
Wow. I definitely didn't think of Armenian when I made my alphabet. I find Armenian writing incomprehensible because, aside from the fact that I don't know the Armenian language, all the letters look alike to me. h's and m's and n's and u's. With Tsendyasek, on the other hand, the letters do not all look alike to me.
Skrytam has three columns too! Very interesting. This is the Skrytam alphabet, used to write Basha Humrayan back in the old days:

[Image]

I made Skrytam intentionally primitive looking, because it's supposed to be primitive, where it was used around the same time as cuneiform.

I also made Skrityam very easy to remember, because there are really only 7 Sounds, which are the Sounds of the first column, which spells out SKRYTAM; and the 7 colors in a rainbow, and the 7 primordial elements of nature/reality: 1) Mind, 2) Spirit, 3) Aether, 4) Plasma, 5) Gas, 6) Liquid, 7) Solid. The other two columns are "octaves" of the first column. Meaning the Sound "sh" is an "octave" of the "S" sound, and the "ch" sound is a higher "octave" of the "S." And so the SKRYTAM matches up with the 7 primary notes in music and so on. "Skrita" in Humrayan means "Writing / Letter / Culture." In ancient Humrayan, the suffix -AM used to be the definitive article suffix, and so "Skritam" meant "The Writing / The Alphabet."

And so, you only need to remember the first seven letter and their sounds. I made the form/shape of the letters easy to remember also. It's a pattern. The prong in the letter /s/ sticks up, the prong in the letter /k/ is right angled, the prong in the letter /r/ sticks down. The letter /y/i/ is the middle letter and has two prongs that are right angled. The letter /sh/ is just the letter /s/ with a second prong. And so on.
Wow. So everything fits together neatly. The alphabet for Varutitá, the language of the power-of-two-obsessed pyna (people of Natwri) culture, is very symmetrical like that (the first and so far only time I did a featural script).

And I see that every letter in Skrytam has a vertical line, just like Tsendyasek!
I also made the Skrytam alphabet so that it makes dialects very easily, by "shifting" the sound of a phoneme/letter to the right. It works with real dialects of real languages. For example, the Cantonese word for a "god" is "San." If you shift the /s/ to the right, you get the word "Shan," which is the Mandarin word for a "god/deity." Tag is German or "day." If you shift the /t/ to the right, you get Dag, which is Dutch for "day." And so on.
Is that why N, L, and R are all tied together? To reflect the dialectal differences in North Korean vs. Soith Korean?
I'd like to make a font for Kankonian first, since that's the only Lehola script I know by heart.
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Way early this morning I wrote up sound change rules for an SCA for some of the Caber languages. It is SO nice not to have to do them by hand.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jun 2022 08:51

Is that why N, L, and R are all tied together? To reflect the dialectal differences in North Korean vs. Soith Korean?
I'd like to make a font for Kankonian first, since that's the only Lehola script I know by heart.
I wasn't aware that there was a difference between north and south Korean. Dialects in Southeast Asia tend to switch Rs and Ls.

I'd like to see the Kankonian font when its made!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 07 Jun 2022 05:07 I wasn't aware that there was a difference between north and south Korean. Dialects in Southeast Asia tend to switch Rs and Ls.
Basically, many words that begin with an L/R sound in one Korean dialect begin with an N sound in the other. I forget which is which. I should probably just ask my brother-in-law Gene Sung.
I'd like to see the Kankonian font when its made!
It would be a lot of fun to have one!

Here's the Kankonian alphabet:

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/kankalph.htm

Some of the letters and punctuation marks change direction depending on whether Kankonian is being written vertically (as it traditionally was) or horizontally (as a modern innovation to match most of the other big Leholangs' writing systems).
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Jun 2022 05:36

Here's the Kankonian alphabet:

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/kankalph.htm

Some of the letters and punctuation marks change direction depending on whether Kankonian is being written vertically (as it traditionally was) or horizontally (as a modern innovation to match most of the other big Leholangs' writing systems).
I like the Kankonian Alphabet! I personally prefer practical alphabets/scripts one can actually write with, hand writing with using pen/pencil and paper, jot down quick notes with, as opposed to the digital artsy-fartsy conlang alphabets.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I got a version of the Seven Kill Stele typeset in Kgáweqʼ (ignore the typo on the last letter of the second line; muscle memory failure):

Still got to work out some of the rough spots in the font, but it seems to work well with TeX for the most part.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 10 Jun 2022 02:53 I like the Kankonian Alphabet! I personally prefer practical alphabets/scripts one can actually write with, hand writing with using pen/pencil and paper, jot down quick notes with, as opposed to the digital artsy-fartsy conlang alphabets.
Glad you liked it! Yeah, I drew the letters with a black pen and then scanned it.
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Redid the political map of Íröd!
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Finally got around to doing the numerals 0 through 7 (plus an octal point), punctuation marks, and operations for Vlchichi.

The next con-script I'm going to do with be for Javarti. This time around, I want to make the script borrowed. I'll take Jukasta words (Jukasta being to Javarti what Latin and Greek are to English or Chinese is to Japanese) and draw pictograms for words that start with the various Jukasta letters. Then I'll adapt the script to Javarti, which has phonemes like /y/ that aren't in Jukasta. Trying something new!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Just finished the 25-letter Javarti alphabet. S becomes X and Z becomes J with the help of a ^-shaped diacritic called a txekhi, but they're considered separate letters. Aside from X and J, letters for Q, Ü, and Y were added after Javarti adapted Jukasta's alphabet.

29 new Javarti words got borrowed into Kankonian, from the names of the letters, the word tshekhi (txekhi), and the word Dzhunarva (Djunarva, the name of the Jukasta/Javarti alphabet). Kankonian's lexicon is up to 79,785.
♂♥♂♀

Aseca
sinic
sinic

Post by Aseca »

Went and fleshed out my verb list after I somehow figured out where the plosives fall in place.
Because the original list had too many approximants (eg lava, rala) that can be hard to pronounce but are great for verb manipulation to strong or weak forms, so I just added -ka, -ga, -ca, etc and differentiated for each verb form as below:

-ra (action of acting on)
-ja (action with other thing/person)
-ka (action to oneself)
-ga (action to other)
-va (act towards x)
-man (sense verb)

Eg: gava (by other: act towards) - go; kaja (by self: act with other) - work together/as a team.
Infinitive is simple. Just add -n to the end of the verb. Eg kajan (to work together)
Infinitive also is used to add stem ending to make a verb progressive.
Eg kajana (I am working as a team), team/gang is kjane (weak form of verb)
Sikatāyām kaṇam lokasya darśasi, svargam phale vanye ca.
See a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Ānantam tava karatalena darasi, nityatām ghaṇṭabhyantare ca.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I came up with some example sentences for the use of definiteness inflection in Kobardon [:)] They involve swamp eels and teachers.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I went over my 900+-word Javarti dictionary and documented all the derivational affixes I've been using. This is what the affix section of my Javarti grammar now reads like:

Prefixes

These prefixes can build words in Javarti:

ne-: forms a word meaning "not"
<li>tximi (stable) -> netximi (unstable)
<li>yeldi (polite) -> neyeldi (impolite, rude)

pa-: forms a word meaning "not"
<li>djeymüri (permanent) -> padjeymüri (temporary)
<li>marqülti (racist) -> pamarqülti (non-racist)

Infixes

These infixes, coming before the final vowel, can build words in Javarti:

-ols-: forms a word meaning "able/ability to be [verb]ed"
<li>puva (to view) -> puvolsi (viewable)
<li>dolva (to believe) -> dolvolsa (plausibility)

-oq-: forms a noun that means "a person who is"
<li>narza (old, elderly) -> narzoqa (senior, elder)
<li>buyghi (stupid, dumb) -> buyghoqi (idiot, fool, dope, moron)

-olp-: forms a word to indicate making something/someone into something
<li>tuda (stereotype) -> tudolpa (to stereotype); tudolpi (stereotyped)
<li>kheldi (simple) -> kheldolpa (to simplify); kheldolpi (simplified)

-az-: forms a noun meaning something made out of a substance
<li>küsta (glass) -> küstaza (glasses)
<li>golghü (clay) -> golghazü (ceramic sculpture)

-ilkh-: forms a noun for a recording
<li>nata (day) -> natilkha (diary)
<li>poylo (court of law) -> poylilkho (court record)

-ült-: forms a noun or adjective for an ideology
<li>marqa (race) -> marqülta (racism); marqülti (racist (adj.))
<li>güghi (plant) -> güghülta (vegetarianism); güghülti: (vegetarian (adj.))

Suffixes

These suffixes can build words in Javarti:

-oda: turns a verb into an agent noun
<li>jisa (sing) -> jisoda (singer)
<li>meysa (to slide) -> meysoda (slider)

-üri: turns a verb into an adjective that means "tending to [verb]"
<li>djeyma (to last) -> djeymüri (permanent)
<li>nazga (to bore) -> nazgüri (boring)

-etsa: forms a noun meaning "something that is [verb]ed"
<li>dolva (to believe) -> dolvetsa (belief)
<li>asa (to drink) -> asetsa (swig)

-ümpa: forms a noun meaning "something to be [verb]ed"
<li>nuza (to count) -> nuzümpa (item)
<li>leyda (to read) -> leydümpa (reading material)

-ija: turns a verb into a noun for a device that does something
<li>dexa (to direct) -> dexija (router)
<li>nenka (to locate) -> nenkija (locator)

-aja: makes an intransitive verb transitive
<li>xarga (to move, intransitive) -> xargaja (to move, transitive)
<li>ghelta (to smile) -> gheltaja (to put a smile on the face of)

-era: forms an adjective meaning "having [noun]"; often accompanies a number
<li>txara (three) + gülta (dimension) -> txaragültera (three-dimensional)
<li>suro (Jukasta root for six) + dika (angle) -> surodikera (hexagonal)

-epi: turns a cardinal into an ordinal number
<li>txara (three) -> txarepi (third)
<li>pelma (seven) -> pelmepi (seventh)

-asta: forms the names of languages
<li>Nasuma (Nasuma) -> Nasumasta (the Javarti language)
<li>Ghuka (Juka) -> Ghukasta (Jukasta)

-dzi: forms a taxonomic group
<li>renga (dermal appendage found on the ilti) -> rengadzi (class that includes the ilti)
<li>zighri (grain) -> zighridzi (class of grain-skinned creatures)

-ati: marks a middle stage
<li>idi (person) -> idati (adolescent, teen, teen-ager, youth, young adult)
<li>valpaxa (ximpi larva) -> valpaxati (ximpi pupa)

-iksa: forms the name of a drug
<li>juli (species of flower) -> juliksa (drug obtained from the juli)
<li>boto (mushroom) -> botiksa (psilocybin)
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Today I noticed that the standard of comparison in Kobardon comparative constructions can be split from the adjective by an adverb. This already follows from established rules (standards of comparison are adverbial prepositional phrases and adverbials, including adverbs, can be freely ordered), but it was a new application of the rules for me. Here is an example.

Unikirnon puka demiio gruturan sirat in drinza.
Uni-kirn-on puk-a de-mii-o gru<tu>r-an sira-t in drinz-a.
3.POSS-finger-DEF.SG teacher-SG.INDEF 3SG.S-COP.ADJ-3.O serpentine<aug.el>-SG.DEF NEG-SG from swamp_eel-SG.INDEF
`The finger of a teacher is not more serpentine than a swamp eel.'

Unikirnon puka demiio gruturan in drinza sirat.
Uni-kirn-on puk-a de-mii-o gru<tu>r-an in drinz-a sira-t.
3.POSS-finger-DEF.SG teacher-SG.INDEF 3SG.S-COP.ADJ-3.O serpentine<aug.el>-SG.DEF from swamp_eel-SG.INDEF NEG-SG
`The finger of a teacher is not more serpentine than a swamp eel.'
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

This is my favourite recurrent thread. I don't do conlanging anymore so I never have anything to post, but it's still inspiring for me to get things done in my natlang studies.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

I'm back... with 4,500 new words added to Humrayan! Basha Humrayan now has 21,100 words!

I was given the complete (or nearly complete) Landau List which had around 11,000 entries in it, separated into categories.

What I first did was go through the Landau List an deleted all of the words that I already had in Humrayan. That was over 50%. I left a few words I already had, such as words for animals etc. The remaining words in the Landau List were words I did not have which talks about and describes the modern world.

Humrayan was originally made to be an ancient language, related to Vedic Sanskrit. 90% of Humrayan's words are derived from the Sanskrit spectrum (ancient, classical, "modern"). As such, Humrayan didn't have words for things like "airplane," "rubber," "nitrogen," "space probe," "England," and so on. And so the words left in the Landau List gave me those words, which "updated" Humrayan into a modern [con] language that can talk about the everyday modern world.

Using the Landau List made everything far easier, because all of the words are put together into categories, and so your brain stays focused in one category, as opposed to hopping around from random word to random word. It made the process of making new words quick and easy.

I numbered each word in the Landau List as I went along creating new Humrayan words, this way I know how many new words I had added. When I reached the final word of what was left of the Landau List, I found out I had exactly 4,500 new words, a well rounded number. It was fun to make the new words. I followed the example of ancient and modern Sanskrit when making new words up. Sanskrit words in a way function like Esperanto words, where each word is a "lego" piece, which you snap together to make new words.

So now, Humrayan has 21,1000 words, which seems to make it the biggest Sanskrit-based conlang in the world! I'll update Humrayan's Frathwiki number later this afternoon.

Special thanks to Khemehekis and his awesome Landau List!