The Translation of "The Book of Mormon" into Mayan Hieroglyphic

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Bob »

I've been thinking of doing this for some years now and may actually do at least part of it. I'm an expert in Mayan Hieroglyphic writing and all 50 or so known logographic writing systems (ones like Chinese, Mayan, Egyptian, Cuneiform), so it would be a very interesting exercise. Especially considering Mormon beliefs about "The Book of Mormon". Of course, I would do so in an agreeable manner.

Though something like Micmac Hieroglyphic, Walam Olum Symbols, and related c 1600s Algonquian "mnemonic symbol systems" which I recently discovered in the old writings in Early Modern English, these would seem to be more appropriate considering the (supposed) example of "Reformed Egyptian" which we have.

I could become quite famous and celebrated for doing this. Though I acknoledge inspiration from a life-size diorama I saw about 2007 in the museum by the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah. It depicted The Book of Mormon as originally possibly written in Mayan Hieroglyphic or such, taking into account the more recent (c 1970s and ongoing) decipherment of the c 300s AD onwards Mayan Hieroglyphic writing and written language.

But more on this some other time. It's actually somewhat dependent on a sizeable study of Mayan Hieroglyphic signs (hieroglyphs) and spelling which I have had in the works some 3 years now, working on it on and off as I am wont.

I post this project here, though, because it would entail using one or more modern Mayan Languages to approximate the Mayan Hieroglyphic language, its texts and known vocabulary being very limited.