Thunlangs scrap thread

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Thunlangs scrap thread

Post by silvercat »

Thunlang = Thunderian language. Most of my languages are inspired by Thundercats and set on Thundera. The ones that aren't get pulled in, because why not. I tend to jump around from language to language. I have all of them listed on my Neocities site with most of the information I have - https://silvercat.neocities.org

My biggest is Ŋyjichɯn, usually referred to as Nyji because I'm lazy. It's on hold right now while I work on two extinct languages it borrowed heavily from. The first is Tsɑkø, which at the moment I consider a completed naming language. It has only very basic grammar and 250 words.

Tsɑkø has vowel harmony and some nice phonotactics (imo). I know there's some (or were?) easter eggs in some of the words, but I don't remember which. Here's some related words:

(art) rekkor - (artist) ʦomerekkor
(clay) βottɑæd - (ceramic) mørmøkottɑæd - (potter) ætekottɑæd
(fabric) tɯtj - (weave) ʦɯitil - (weaver) ʣɯmetɯtje

The other one that influenced Nyji is Maanxmuʃt (aka Maanxmusht when I don't feel like copying & pasting). It's Germanic-ish and extinct, but related to Ylialis and Lepadi. Ylialis is the equivalent of English on Thundera. Lepadi is going to experiment with gender when I get around to redoing it. Maanxmuʃt has complex consonant clusters and phonotactics, two genders, 6 cases, and strong and weak nouns. It's my current project and, I think, at the moment all the nouns on the page for it are wrong.

I'm mostly writing the site like a Ylialis-speaking researcher is writing it, which means using Ylialis words for all the language names & related words. So despite having very little for the language itself, I have some affixes. It also has some phoneme choices that make transliteration fun (I'm assuming a lot of sound changes over the centuries)

language / speech infix = -ali-. Examples: Ylialis, Mankmusalide (Maanxmusht), Nyjejualin ( Ŋyjichɯn)
inhabitant / citizen infix = -k-, plural -kus-. Examples: Lunderkusa (Thunderians), Yklis (citizen of Ylis federation countries), Yliaklis (inhabitant of a Ylialis speaking country), Dyndakuslae
speaker of a language = -kuli-, plural -kusli-Example: Yliakulis
genitive ending= -aokwi Examples: Ylialisaokwi, Nyjejualinaokwi

For realism, some of the language names in Ylialis don't match the native names, even accounting for transliteration. Balis = Ie, Aronmalim = Tsɑkø.

The other languages that have actually been started are Ie (a tonal isolating language) and Tynthna (it does fun things with syllable structure requirements).

Nyji and Tynthna also have writing systems. I've started the page for Nyji, but need to scan stuff for it and Tynthna.

I can actually translate sentences into Nyji as long as they don't need too many new words and I have a few examples on the Nyji lexicon tiddlywiki, tagged 'translation'

The other languages I have listed but need to redo:
Tusir - going to use triconsonantal roots. I'm probably going to change the name.
Okelen - the original plan was it had a logographic writing system, but I don't know if I'll stick with that. Okalen are explorers, botanists, and conservationists culturally, so a ton of plant and scientific words are borrowed from it into other languages.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Thunlangs scrap thread

Post by silvercat »

Maanxmusht Phonology, Stress, and Phonotactics

The orthography pretty much matches IPA, unless I'm feeling lazy, in which case θ = th, ʃ = sh, ɦ = h, and ʀ = R.

Phonology

basic vowels = i e a u o
long vowels = ii ee aa uu oo
diphthongs = uo ie iu ei ou
consonants =
m n
p t d k
v θ ʃ x ɦ
l j w
r ʀ

Stress is on the first syllable of the root. Long vowels are rare in unstressed syllables.

Syllables take the form of (C)(C)(C)VC(C)(C)

/ɦ/ and /ʀ/ only appear outside of consonant clusters
/r/ and /ʀ/ can't follow diphthongs
/m/ can't follow long vowels or diphthongs
After a vowel, /ɦ/ changes to /k/
After a nasal, /x/ changes to /d/

The syllable onset can be any of the following:
any consonant
a cluster made up of /ʃ/ + (any unvoiced nasal, stop, or fricative) + (/r/ or /l/)
a stop or fricative + /r/ or /l/, but not /dl/ or /vl/

The syllable coda can be any of the following:
any unvoiced consonants, rhotic, nasals, or /l/
/r/ or /l/ + /x/
/x/ +/ʃ/ or /t/
/n m r/ or /l/ + stops, sibilants, or /θ/
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Maanxmusht Nouns, pt 1

Nouns are inflected for gender, number, and case. The two genders are animate and inanimate. Animate nouns and pronouns, are somewhat divided into masculine and feminine. The cases are nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative, and instrumental. Nouns come in two forms: weak which are altered by suffixes only, and strong which also change through vowel gradation.

Feminine animate and masculine animate nouns inflect in the same ways. Feminine nouns end in /m n ʃ θ/ and masculine nouns end in /p t d k/ (not clusters). Generally the nouns reflect the natural gender, but words that ending with the aforementioned consonants are also treated as masculine or feminine. Words with multiple natural genders will be either weak or strong in all forms.

Weak nouns fall into the following categories:
- ending in a short vowel or diphthong, as long as it doesn't contain a long vowel in the first syllable
- ends in non-clustered /l x m n θ ʃ/ or the preceding followed by a short vowel. The short vowel will be dropped in most cases. The last consonant will change in some of the cases.

Weak Animate

Code: Select all

singular	plural
Nominative	_ _			_ _ dox
Accusative	je _ _ rt		je _ _ dort
Genitive	ɦi _ _ k		ɦi _ _ dok
Dative		ʀo _ _ wiʀ		ʀo _ _ doʀ
Ablative	wi _ _ tirt		wi _ _ tur
Instrumental	xaʃ _ _ (e)m		xaʃ _ _ dumx
Example1. ne = hour

singular	plural
Nominative	ne		nedox
Accusative	jenert		jenedort
Genitive	ɦinek		ɦinedok
Dative		ʀonewiʀ		ʀonedoʀ
Ablative	winetirt	winetur
Instrumental	xaʃnem		xaʃnedumx

Words ending in short /e i u/ after a consonant drop the vowel or change it to a when necessary.

Example 2. domkda = cord

singular	plural
Nominative	domkda		domkdadox
Accusative	jedomkdart	jedomkdadort
Genitive	ɦidomkdak	ɦidomkdadok
Dative		ʀodomkdawiʀ	ʀodomkdadoʀ
Ablative	widomkdatirt	widomkdatur
Instrumental	xaʃdomkdam	xaʃdomkdadumx
Example 3 . jaʀi = nose

singular	plural
Nominative	jaʀi		jaʀdox
Accusative	jejaʀart	jejaʀdort
Genitive	ɦijaʀak		ɦijaʀdok
Dative		ʀojaʀwiʀ	ʀojaʀdoʀ
Ablative	wijaʀtirt	wijaʀtur
Instrumental	xaʃjaʀem	xaʃjaʀdumx
Example 4. ʃklaxtte = spindle

singular	plural
Nominative	ʃklaxtte	ʃklaxttadox
Accusative	jeʃklaxttart	jeʃklaxttadort
Genitive	ɦiʃklaxttak	ɦiʃklaxttadok
Dative		ʀoʃklaxttawiʀ	ʀoʃklaxttadoʀ
Ablative	wiʃklaxttatirt	wiʃklaxttatur
Instrumental	xaʃklaxttem	xaʃklaxttadumx
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I wrote up an overview of the Thunderian languages, but I'm not sure what else I should include. It's not uploaded yet because I want to change the language family names to be less English-y and to make stuff conform to the premise that everything is being written by Ylialis linguists (or possibly language students)

I'm also not sure what I wrote makes sense to anyone but me.
The language of the capital, where the Cats' Lair is located, is Ylialis. Most Thunderians can speak Ylialis conversationally, at a minimum. Ylialis is used for international standards, trade, administration, and politics. However, because of their long exploration and biological preservation, much scientific literature is in Okelealin.

A great deal of language history (along with other history) is stored in the Book of Omens, so firm knowledge goes back further than those worlds without mystical recordings. However, the Book of Omens' records are dependent on the knowledge of the Thundercats ranks, so are not comprehensive.

All Thunderian languages are descendants of 22 language super-families, but the most widely spoken languages come from only 6. The largest language super-family is Luonic. Family names are traditionally given in Ravar.

Typology by distribution
(percents approximant)

vso: 40.8%. Includes: Balis and Lio
svo: 23.9%. Includes: Lepalidy and Dynalija
sov: 14.1%. Includes: Nyjejualin and Ylialis
osv: 11.3%. Includes: Chala and Ykkl
vos: 7%. Includes: Okelealin and Seva
ovs: 2.8%. Includes: Apthi and Nyn
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Still working on Maanxmusht. I've decided it should have tons of suppletion, so that's one thing I'm working on, along with the strong nouns and the verbs.

Here are some weak inanimate nouns

xrik = price

Nominative	xrik		xrikdoʃ
Accusative	melxrikulk	melxriklird
Genitive	omdrikik	omdrikdimk
Dative		ɦuoxrikpom	ɦuoxrikmout
Ablative	lixrikdeip	lixrikvart
Instrumental	ʃerxrikilθ	ʃerxrikʃolt	
meike = toilet

singular	plural
Nominative	meike		meikdoʃ
Accusative	melmeikulk	melmeiklird
Genitive	ommeik		ommeikdimk
Dative		ɦuomeikpom	ɦuomeikmout
Ablative	limeikdeip	limeikvart
Instrumental	ʃermeikilθ	ʃermeikʃolt

diux = secret

singular	plural
Nominative	diux		diudoʃ
Accusative	meldiulk	meldiulird
Genitive	omdiuk		omdiuxdimk
Dative		ɦuodiupom	ɦuodiuxmout
Ablative	lidiudeip	lidiuxvart
Instrumental	ʃerdiulθ	ʃerdiuʃolt

All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Finished the Nyjichun writing page - https://silvercat.neocities.org/nyji-writing.html

Nyjejualin or the native word, Ŋyjichɯn, uses an alphabetic writing system with two forms, a formal one and an informal one. The formal writing is somewhat featural, with sounds with the same manner of articulation having similar letters, based symbolically on the position of the tongue and teeth. Vowels are all arrows, with the rounded vowels marked.

Traditionally, records are written on the bark of the Sai tree, which is strong and flexible but with a distinct grain. The bark dries as a flexible but dark surface and ink is traditionally yellow or cream ('ŋafnɯŋ' on 'lyasim'). Informal writings were done on the leaves of the Sai tree, which dry lighter, usually in red ink ('kiɯk' on 'lyasim').

Formal use includes announcements, newspapers, records, legal documents, scripture, and most books (aside from those meant for learning readers, which may use a hybrid system), while informal use includes letters, albums, journals, many textbooks, popular music albums, and notes.

The choice of material influenced the writing's angular nature, as it had to be clear despite the skips caused by the bark's grain.

In the formal script, plurals and paucals are marked instead of having the spelling reflect the pronunciation. The noun case markers and verb agreement markers are abbreviated to a single consonant, which are placed in the inflection slot of the syllable they're attached to. In irregular and single syllable verbs this means that, despite being said first, they're written last.

Informal script has special letters for long vowels, while the formal style doubles the letters.

Nyjejualin is writing from left to write, from up to down. Words are written in blocks of syllables.

In hand-written or hand-lettered manuscripts, and more elaborately created digital documents, letters will fit together and extend into adjacent boxes, even flipping consonants upside-down, so each syllable and word is an elegant unit.

The oldest records were inscribed into wood or stone, or engraved into the sai bark, and then usually highlighted with contrasting ink. This resulted in thin letters with little variation. Later scribes switched to a very stiff brush or reed pen, which allowed for more rapid writing as well as the correction of mistakes, if one was quick to sponge away the ink before it dried. For informal writing, on the sai leaves, a softer brush was used. These styles were known as 'South hand'.

However, Western scribes were already artists with a tradition of decorating using wide nibs to create subtly curved geometric designs on pottery and woven wall hangings. They adapted this traditon to the new writing method, in what is called shadow hand', named for the changing thicknesses similar to how a shadow changes through the day. They preferred bright white, yellow, or orange ink (colors called 'jasa').

Northern writers created a new version of the informal style - 'thorn hand' - using a soft brush on parchment and ending strokes with sharp upward or rightward serifs. They often dyed the parchment 'jio' colors - rich browns, blues, purples, and greens - then used pale or metallic inks ('ŋafnɯŋ' or 'lyasim'). North hand is also typically written more narrowly. For the formal writing, they preferred the old method of inscribing sai bark and highlighting with white or metallic ink.

Later writers created a variety of script or cursive versions, of varying levels of legibility. Many of these were derided for being 'flighty', 'irreverent,' and 'disrepectful of the venerable art of writing'.

Technology standardized much. Nyjejualinaokwi typewriters and early computers used clever mechanisms: there was a two-phase 'shift' key to bump the paper up for each block. Words were either written phonetically, despite using the formal letters, (a system still used with books for learning readers) or had the inflection symbols underneath. Line-spacing was large enough to accomodate either method. Paper, imported from the South or made by border clans, was significantly longer than that used in Ylialisaokwi documents, and often still is.

Some of the more advanced machines, as modeled in this document, had a 'half-space' key to bump blocks over to keep together syllables with inflection symbols, long vowels, or diphthongs. There exist rare typewriters designed for personal correspondence that use the informal letters.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I've created an alphabet for Maanxmusht, which is also used for Ylialis and Ravar. It's written right to left. Long vowels are underlined.

pivra (wrist)

dumt (finger)

vreix (apron)

and

niin (arrow)
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I made the 'font' just really quickly in Illustrator. It needs to be cleaned up so the end angles are better, but whatever. I'd also like to make a serif version, but I don't know that I'll ever get to it. I designed it thinking about it being easy to engrave in stone. I should make a lower-case version for Ylialis and other modern languages.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Tynthna is a fun language inspired when I overheard a show that used the word 'tatami' A LOT. So it has interesting syllable restrictions. From the page for it (https://silvercat.neocities.org/tynthna.html):

Tynthna has unusual word formation rules. There are two sets of consonants that can start a syllable - Stone and Water. The coda consonant set is called the Tail. Multi-syllable words must start with a Stone consonant or cluster, while single syllable words can start with either. Water consonants mostly make up middle and end syllables. Some consonant and vowel combinations are disallowed (marked in tan below).

The basic word form is CV(C), that is a consonant or consonant cluster; a vowel, long vowel (or diphthong), and an optional coda consonant or consonant cluster. Syllables with long vowels can't have a coda.

The Stone set is made up of plosives, affricates, and the combinations of a plosive + r.

The Water set includes nasals, rhotics, fricatives, unvoiced affricates, and two combinations: fricative + r, and sibilant fricatives + stop. Water syllables made with a consonant cluster can't have a long vowel.

The Tail set is the coda consonants and includes fricatives, rhotics, the combination of nasal + fricative, plus an unspoken letter that is used when writing consonant clusters.

I've decided it has a closed set of finite verbs which should be fun.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Maanxmusht, Ravar, and Ylialis have the same naming traditions. Babies are typically named after their birth order, the conditions at birth, colors, descriptions of the child, or precious things. Parents may use just the word or add a gendered ending like -in, -ash, -eth, -um (feminine) or -et, -ik, -ep, -ud, -ad (masculine)

lin- turns a numeral into an ordinal number, eg dalumd (one) to lindalumd (first)

Colors usually refer to hair or eye color, especially if it's unusual in the family or especially vibrant. Some families will also name all their children colors often in rainbow or 'natural' order (natural order being from ground to sky or sky to ground, that is brown yellow green blue black)

Some common names in Maanxmusht:

xem		round
vimpdal		first twin or triplet
vimpiwa		second twin or triplet
vimpoudo	third triplet
lin-dalumd	first
lin-iwa		second
lin-oudo	third
lin-ɦaxʃ	fourth
lin-ka		fifth
valunθ		heat (born in summer)
piuva		cold (born in winter)
ɦovronʃ		thunder
iiθa		cloud
trewlom		wind
dadu		(born in the) morning
eetdamʃ		(born in the) night
enθri		bright (born in sunlight)
vimx		gift
timɦamt		strong
lin-limt	sixth
olt		white
vidre		black
tiu		red
onp		blue
mient		iron
θemd		ivory
vrol		jewel
ʃmron		(born around) noon
miijuuliu	precious
eedo		brown
arkwi		small
ʀiuʃi		song
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I haven't done much with Ylialis yet, because I'm working on Maanxmusht first as it's an older sibling. Ylialis, however, has phonology that makes transcribing stuff from other languages kinda interesting.

Consonants:
(same as IPA unless marked)
stops: p b d k g
sibilants: s, j(/dʒ/)
sonorants: m n l
semi-vowels: w (/j w/)*
tap: r /ɾ/

* w = /w/ at the start of a word, between two vowels, or following /s/. Otherwise it's /j/

Vowels
Short: e, a(/æ), o (/oʊ/)
Long: y (/iː/), i (/ʌɪ/), u (/uː/)
Diphthongs: ae (/ei/), ao (/aʊ/)

Other vowel clusters pronounced seperately

Transliterating gets interesting.
Obviously /t/ > /d/, but /th/ to /l/ and /v/ to /m/

Which gave me the fun-ness of Thundera to Lundera & Thunderian to Lunderka. (Infix -k- is the equivalent of -ian, -ese, -er, that is, inhabitant or citizen. The plural is -kus-)

The Ylialis equivalent of some of the Maanxmusht names given above are:

Maanx / Ylialis / meaning
xem / wemik (m) or wemin (f) / round
linɦaxʃ / linawis / fourth child
valunθ / malunet (m) or malun (f) / heat (born in summer)
piuva / piuma (f) or piumak (m) / cold (born in winter)
ɦovronʃ / omronsad (m) or omronset (f) / thunder (born during a storm)
iiθa / idan (f) or idaik (m) / cloud

I haven't defined much yet, but I know it has a vestigal gender system with male, female, and neuter animate; genderless inanimate; far away things; and abstract concepts.

I should figure out what the names Liono, Jaga, and Claudus mean (the other Thundercats speak other languages as their first language). If I had been thinking I'd have already figured that out.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Okay, I did Claudus, Jaga, and Lion-o.

Maanxmusht - Ylialis - Ylialis IPA - meaning
(Maanxmusht is same as IPA, except double vowels = long)

Kloudus - Klaodus - /klaʊ.duːs/ - royal
Xaga - Jaga - /dʒæ.ga/ - fierce
Laano - Laeno - /lein.noʊ/ - brave

I could transliterate the other Thundercats' name, but they natively speak other languages
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

As far as surnames, again Maanxmusht, Ylialis, Ravar and related languages use the same system. The child takes both parents' given names. The order varies with context - generally the more well-known will be last, but if one is being introduced to someone who knows one's mother better, the mother's name will be last and if one is being introduced to someone who knows one's father, the father's name will be last.

Example using Maanxmusht names:
Linlimt and Arkwi's first child is a boy named Lindalumd. When Lindalumd is introduced to his father's family, it'll be as Lindalumd Arkwi Linlimt. When Lindalumd is introduced to his mother's friends, it'll be as Lindalumd Linlimt Arkwi.

Laeno (Lion-o) would pretty much always be introduced as Laeno (Mother) Klaodus, since Klaodus was the king.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Big update to the website - https://silvercat.neocities.org

Ochyn and Ravar just have placeholders at the moment. But three of the four writing systems are up (Omlirt alphabet started by Ochyn, Ovim runes from Nwtukso, and the Ŋyjichɯn alphabet)
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts