hü'1 /xɯʔ˧/ n. hand
möu3-rang2 /mə˧u˩˥raŋ˥/ v. feel.

*S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u
*meŋʲ-i v. to cut, to bite

Unnamed A-Posteriori Hlai-lang
ŋʷəːk˥ n heart from Proto-Hlai *Cuɦəːk cf. Ha Em hoːʔ7 Lauhut hwoːk7

Sardinian
labra nf. lip from Latin LABRUM, cf. French lèvre, Old Spanish labro
Last edited by qwed117 on 06 Dec 2020 08:20, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Jackk
roman
roman

Re: Lexember 2020

Post by Jackk »

Dormouse559 wrote: 04 Dec 2020 03:12
Jackk wrote: 02 Dec 2020 14:18 soumission /ˌsu.miˈsjɔn/ proposition, supposition, suggestion
[…]
< first attested in 14C Middle Boral soumission (with all senses above), nominalisation of soumettr “to submit, surrender, propose” […]
So does soumettr also have the "suppose, suggest" meanings?

BTW, I heard your Boral intro for Conlangery the other day. It sounds excellent! [:D]
The verb does, yeah! [:D] And thanks! [<3]
4m Decembr

corrir preuç /koˈrɪr ˈprawts/ [kʊˈʀɪː ˈpʀaws] to jog, to trot (to run slowly, of people or of animals)

< literally "to run tamely", used from 14C in reference to horses and by 17C also of people. It is theorised to come from a rider's command "Preuç !" to their horse, although evidence of this usage is scant. This adjective preuç "tame, mild, gentle, balmy" is a backformation from verb appreuçar "to tame, calm, corral, domesticate", itself from Vulgar Latin apprīvātiō "I tame".

Dericq ençau a corrir preuç, eð Alicia mognessem poðe apen hast pareïr.

Derick broke into a jog, and the shorter Alicia could barely keep up.

/deˈrɪk ɛnˈdzo a koˈrɪr ˈprawts | ɛθ ˌa.liˈdzja mɔjˈnɛ.sɛm poˈðe aˈpɛn ˈhast ˌpa.riˈɪr/
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

(sita)
4. coro: score, num 20; io
muria: fourend, num 400; i,oo
pacan: num 8000; io,oo
oras: great fourend, num 160,000; i,oo,oo

sitacoro pula: four score and seven; 47
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Forgot to post my entry for the second on here, and yesterday I had to keep bedrest, so gonna do both the second and the fourth today, and I'm afraid there won't be a third.

Lexember 2:

Classical Bokisig (CBKSG)

CBKSG <lechoma> /le'ʧo.ma/ [lɛ'ʧo.ma] vt = to grow (plants)

Etymology: Early Bokisig /legto-ma/ [lek’to.ma] life-VBZ1 vt = to give birth to

In Early Bokisig, /legtoma/ only meant “to give birth to” (literally “to give life to”), but this use came to be seen as increasingly outdated, and a stative verb from the same root /legto/ (“life”) came to be used instead: /legto-he/ “to be fertile” (referring to women, female animals and soils), with the object in dative, which gives us:

CBKSG <lechohe> /le'ʧo.he/ [lɛ'ʧo.hɛ] vi = 1. to give birth to (object in DAT) 2. to be fertile

The same root also gave birth (…) to:

CBKSG <lechō> /le'ʧo:/ [lɛ'ʧo:] vi = 1. to be alive 2. to be bright (of colours); when used with quantifiers (“quite”, “not very”) of a person, it can mean “quick-witted” or “smart”

Etymology: Early Bokisig /legto-hɛ/ [lek’to.hɛ] life-VBZ3 vi = to be alive

Example sentence for yesterday’s word plus one of today’s!

Sa lechō jez-jv́zd wu nolíst
[sa lɛ'ʧo: jez'jɯzd wu no'lɪst]
DEF bright green-PL.ERG 1SG.ACC appeal.to
“I want the brightly green ones!”

Lexember 4:

Going back to the first entry this Lexember, let’s look over the next few days at how the Early Bokisig noun /ɣez/ (“leaf”, “the colour green”) was used to derive a number of verbs by way of different verbalisers, which had themselves been earlier derived from dummy verbs. These verbs were derived at the Early Bokisig stage and then underwent sound changes and possibly semantic shifts to result in the Classical Bokisig verbs of the Lexember entries.

Classical Bokisig <jezd> /jezd/ v = to be green (colour)

Etymology: Early Bokisig /ɣez-hɛ/ suffixed the first stative verbaliser /hɛ/ (I will in future entries gloss that one as VBZ3), which is commonly used for passive states. For instance, here it means that something is in the state of being “green”. Another example would be the noun /be/, from which one could derive – at the Early Bokisig stage – the verb /be-hɛ/ (fear-VBZ), which expresses that somebody is in a state of fear, i.e. that verb means “to be scared”.

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I will be doing Classical/Cuātlicañ Court Momṭẓʿālemeōm and Maillys concurently, as I am saying they are very distantly related, both from seperate invasions from another continent to the south, which both spoke languages of the same family, albeit distantly related branches.

Day 1:
Maillys: Pén "Head"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Fāñeh "Nobleman"

Day 2:
Maillys: Ŕŕysábh "meat"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Tlīẓeuj "bread"

Day 3:
Maillys: Myuch "Pig"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Mecuāy "edible rodent"

Day 4:
Maillys: Duśca "water"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Tōizach "water"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Lexember 4

In honor of decorating for Christmas today, here's a Maanxmusht two-for-one

ʀiuʃi /ʀiu.ʃi/ song. Animate gender

ʀiuʃiolʃdi /ʀiu.ʃi.olʃ.di/ festival, celebration, holiday. Literally 'song day'. Animate strong noun.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 4

Gán Vẽi (Entry 4):

lòu /low˥˧/ (inanimate or animate, possessed lòu gản /low˥˧ ɣan˨˩˨/)
Noun:
1. (individual) tooth
2. (set of) teeth
3. mortar and pestle, quern, grinding stone, millstone, mill
4. ivory
lòu /low˥˧/ (causative xā lòu /ɕa˥ low˥˧/)
Verb:
1. to chew
2. to eat, to dine
3. to crush, to grind, to pulverize
4. to destroy, to obliterate

Etymology
From Old TBD s·dooʔ "to chew, to crush, to grind; tooth, grinding stone", from Proto-TBD *su "to give, to push" + *dɔɔʔ "to chew".
Usage notes
Noun:
As with many nouns referring to body parts, the animacy of lòu is somewhat variable. Speakers may be divided into five groups: (1) those who invariably treat the word as animate; (2) those who invariably treat the word as inanimate; (3) those who treat Sense 2 as animate but Senses 1, 3-4 as inanimate; (4) those who treat Senses 1-2 as animate but Senses 3-4 as inanimate; and (5) those who treat Senses 1-3 as animate but Sense 4 as inanimate. Senses 1-2 usually cannot occur without an explicit possessor, especially for speakers who treat them as inanimate, with the default being lòu gản "someone's tooth/teeth".
Regarding Sense 3, if a "millstone" or "quern" is understood as consisting of two parts, lòu can either refer to the apparatus as a whole or to the smaller, mobile portion specifically. Likewise, depending on the context, lòu may be translated as either "mortar and pestle" or simply as "pestle".
Verb:
Regarding Sense 2, when used to describe eating in general, as opposed to the action of chewing in particular, lòu implies that the subject is eating slowly and carefully, taking the time to properly chew their food. It is therefore commonly used in the context of a more formal or socially-oriented meal.

Example sentence:
Lòu nâ kám dũp nám sải hō.
/low˥˧ na˦˥˧ kam˩˧ ɗup˧˩ nam˩˧ saj˨˩˨ ho˥/
[ɫ̪ɔw˥˧ n̪aː˦˥˧ kɑ̃m˩˧ ɗ̪ʊp̚˧˩ n̪ɑ̃m˩˧ saj˨˩˨ ɦoː˥]
lòu nâ kám dũp nám=sải=hō
tooth 1s.GEN all night 1s.HAB=wash=DIR
I brush my teeth every night.

Thedish (Entry 4):

leud /ˈløːd/ (plural leudes /ˈløːd(ə)s/)
Noun:
1. (archaic) body part
2. limb, arm, leg
3. (rare) digit, finger, toe
4. (anatomy) joint
5. joint, hinge, pivot
6. slice, segment, division (of food)
7. (dated) member of a group
8. link, chain, fence
9. (mathematics) term
10. part, step, stage, phase (of a plan)

Alternative forms
leude, lit
Etymology
From Old Thedish lioþo, from Proto-Germanic *liþuz. Compare Scots lith, Saterland Frisian Lid, Danish led.

midriff /ˈmɪdˌrɪf/ (plural midriver /ˈmɪdˌriːvər/)
Noun:
1. midriff, diaphragm, abdomen
2. (rare) navel
3. (informal) midriff-baring garment, crop top

Etymology
From Old Thedish middhrif, from Proto-Germanic *midjaz + *hrefaz. Compare English midriff, Dutch middenrif.

Example sentence:
Y hes fuer leudes, dow bloot een midriff.
/ʌɪ̯ hɛs ˈfyːr ˈløːdəs | dɔʊ̯ ˈbloːt ˈeːn ˈmɪdˌrɪf/
[ʔe‿s ˈfyːɾ ˈløːdz | do ˈbloːt̚ ˈẽːn ˈmɪdˌɾɪf]
y he-s fuer leud-es, dow bloot een midriff
1s.NOM have.PRES-PRES four limb-PL, though simple one midriff 
I have four limbs, but just one abdomen.

Edit: Examples added on December 19th, 2020.
Last edited by shimobaatar on 19 Dec 2020 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 05 Dec 2020 02:45 3. (informal) midriff-baring garment, crop top
I find it delightful how you're carrying a conlang that traces its roots all the way back to Proto-Germanic up to the present day.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 5th - Yélian

leʻiparge [ˌleʔɨˈpaɾgə] - uniform (clothing)
Etymology: leʻi "same" + parge "clothing"

Cinarzabai an'acarèd o'Braveyélian, cut ianaîyas pi cenim leʻibargen yayinasbul.
[kɨnɐɾˈɟaːbaɪ̯ ɐnɐkɐˈɾɛd ɔ̈ˈbɾaːʋəˌʃeːlɪ̯ɐn, kʉt ɪ̯ɐˈnaɪ̯ʃɐs pɨ ˈkeːnɨm ˌleːʔɨˈbaɾgən ʃɐˈɕiːnɐsbʉl]
NEG-really-like-1SG DEF.ANIM=military DEF.GEN=kingdom_shellian, but NEC-admit-JUS.1SG that 3PL.POSS uniform-PL very-chic-COP.3PL
I really don't like the military of the Kingdom of Shelliania, but I have to admit that their uniforms are very stylish.

Bonus word :esp:

vestido [besˈtiðo] - dress
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

5m Decembr

capparol /ˌka.paˈrɔl/ [ˌka.pɐˈʀɔw] chapter, section (of a book); also element of a sequence, stint

< 10C in Old Boral caveparol, cauparol “chapter” with perhaps phonological influence from Mediæval Latin capitulum “chapter (of a book or an organisation, esp. the Catholic Church)”. This is a calque from Old English heafodword “chapter”, literally “headword”, an eastern variant of heafodweard “chapter, lit. headguard” formed presumably by folk etymology. The variant is seen primarly in East Anglian sources (and in the short-lived Gambrig chronicle on Borland). The other senses capparol obtained, referring to a point in a sequence (of events, usually), are attested from the early sixteenth century.

Jo vil descombr posc l'oc capparol finir.

I’ll go to bed after I finish this chapter.

/ʒo ˈvil dɛsˈkɔm.br̩ pɔx lɔk ˌka.paˈrɔl fiˈnɪr/
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Short interlude about clothing, something I think much too rarely about! Both in real life and in conworlding. So I just did some basics.

Lexember 5:

CBKSG <hol> /hol/ n = cloth
Etymology: boring, as this word was not affected by phonological or semantic changes

CBKSG <gabotag> /ga’bo.tag / n = loincloth
Etymology: Early Bokisig /ga-bo-tag/ (back-LAT-thing) n > ga'bo.tag n = thing that goes from the front (to the back)

CBKSG <sazmvhol> /saz’mɯ.hol/ n = tunic
Etymology: Early Bokisig /saz-mɛʔu-hol/ (face-ABL-cloth) n > /saz'mɯ.hol/ = cloth (worn) from the face down
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 5

Gán Vẽi (Entry 5):

phânh /pʰaɲ˦˥˧/ (inanimate)
Noun:
1. wool (on an animal)
2. wool, fleece (fiber)
3. processed wool, yarn, felt, tweed
4. woolen blanket, carpet, sheet
5. woolen clothing
phânh /pʰaɲ˦˥˧/ (causative xā phânh /ɕa˥ pʰaɲ˦˥˧/)
Verb:
1. to shear (sheep)
2. to cut, to trim, to shave (hair)
3. to remove the peel, shell, pod, or husk from a fruit, vegetable, egg, or crustacean
4. to harvest
5. to sculpt, to carve, to whittle
6. to remove the top or outer layer of something
7. (informal) to undress, to disrobe

Etymology
From Old TBD praanhʔ "to shear, to shave; wool, yarn", from Proto-TBD *pɤ "from, out, off, of" + *raa "sheep" + *ŋɛt "soft, delicate".
Usage notes
Verb:
Regarding Sense 5, phânh is used to describe the action of carving something out of stone, wood, clay, or some other material, or the action of carving the material into a certain shape, but not the action of carving text or an image into the material.

Example sentence:
Phânh píu rả ye minh vǐ hō.
/pʰaɲ˦˥˧ piw˩˧ ɻa˨˩˨ je˧ miɲ˧ vi˧˨˧ ho˥/
[p͡ɸãɲ˦˥˧ pɪw˩˧ ɻaː˨˩˨ ʝeː˧ mɪ̃ɲ˧ ʋiː˧˨˧ ɦoː˥]
phânh píu rả ye minh vǐ=hō
wool from sheep PROX white seem=DIR
This sheep's wool is white.

Thedish (Entry 5):

bluy /ˈblœʏ̯/ (plural bluis /ˈblœʏ̯s/)
Noun:
1. (archaic) color, hue
2. complexion, skin tone
3. (rare) hair color, eye color
4. coloring, coloration, color choice, color scheme
5. (dated) likeness, resemblance
6. physical, outward appearance
7. look, visual impression, first impression
8. facial expression
9. type, character
10. (informal) look, style, fashion, fashion sense, typical manner of dressing
11. view, sight, scene, vista
12. (informal) tourist attraction, tourist trap

Etymology
From Old Thedish blīow, from "Proto-West Germanic"¹ *blīu. Compare English blee, Saterland Frisian Bläier.
Usage notes
Sense 4 is typically used when discussing things like art, fashion, or interior design. The implication is that the colors in question were chosen purposefully and with great care.
Sense 12 may be thought of as a sarcastic extension of Sense 11.

duim /ˈdœʏ̯m/ (plural duimen /ˈdœʏ̯mən/)
Noun:
1. thumb
2. (rare) big toe
3. the thumb of a glove or mitten
4. any hand gesture prominently featuring the thumb
5. bolt, pin, hinge
6. (dated) inch

Etymology
From Old Thedish þūma, from Proto-Germanic *þūmô. Compare Scots thoum, Saterland Frisian Tuume, Dutch duim, German Daumen, Faroese tummi, Swedish tumme.

Example sentence:
De bluy uit de dyrel hier does twein duimen fan my foaen!
/də ˈblœʏ̯ œʏ̯t də ˈdʌɪ̯rəl hiːr duːs ˈtwɛɪ̯n ˈdœʏ̯mən fan mʌɪ̯ ˈfɔːən/
[də ˈblœʏ̯ ʔøt̚ d̥ə ˈdʌɪ̯ɾəɫ hɪɾ dʊs ˈtʍɛ̃ɪ̯̃n ˈdœ̃ʏ̯̃mə̃ɱ fə̃m me ˈfɔ̃ːn]
de bluy uit de dyrel hier doe-s twein duim-en fan my foa-en
DEF look out DEF window here do.PRES-PRES two thumb-PL from 1s.OBL get-L.INF 
The view from this window gets two thumbs-up from me!

¹The stance Wiktionary seems to be taking regarding the existence of a "Proto-West Germanic" distinct from Proto-Germanic does not necessarily reflect my own views on the matter.

For my a posteriori language, every day from December 1-4, I considered/coined a number of words relating to whichever theme I'd chosen for that day before deciding on just two per day to include in my posts here. However, looking back, a few of the words that didn't "make the cut" seemed to fit with "clothing", so I chose two of them for today. I picked bluy and duim because they both contain /œʏ̯/, but the /œʏ̯/ in bluy comes from an earlier /iːʊ̯(w)/ while the /œʏ̯/ in duim comes from an earlier /uː/, and also because they form their plurals differently from one another.
Edit: Examples added on December 19th, 2020.

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 04:10
shimobaatar wrote: 05 Dec 2020 02:45 3. (informal) midriff-baring garment, crop top
I find it delightful how you're carrying a conlang that traces its roots all the way back to Proto-Germanic up to the present day.
Oh, thank you, I appreciate that. Although, as I'm sure you know, mine is far from the only a posteriori conlang - here on the CBB or in general - meant to be spoken in modern times!
Last edited by shimobaatar on 19 Dec 2020 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 05 Dec 2020 22:36
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 04:10 I find it delightful how you're carrying a conlang that traces its roots all the way back to Proto-Germanic up to the present day.
Oh, thank you, I appreciate that. Although, as I'm sure you know, mine is far from the only a posteriori conlang - here on the CBB or in general - meant to be spoken in modern times!
True -- Silvish is spoken in modern times, for instance. Although it looks as if Thedish may be in its own subbranch of Germanic?

EDIT: 2525 posts! To celebrate, it's time to listen to this song.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 5th

Unnamed A-Priori Hlai-lang
zhèw3 /t͡sʰɛw˧˩/ n. body (living)
thòp4 /tʰɔp˩˥/ adj. ruddy, red, flush (of bodies)
dáz3 wö1 /daːt͡s˧˩˥ wə˧/ n. sleeved shirt, tunic
raw4 /raw˥˧˥/ ptcl/prep wearing
güy2ca1 /gɯj˥t͡ɕa˧/ ptcl NEG,

*S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u
*s₃awdˀ-i v. to trust

Unnamed A-Posteriori Hlai-lang
vay˨˩ ptcl 'not' from Proto-Hlai *Curiːɦ 'not' cf. Ha Em gay2 'wife', Baoting hway 'not', Yuanmen vay5 'not',
Totally not inspiring that last word above

Sardinian
romasu adj. thin from Latin REMANSUS, this seems like the word that would be used to describe humans cf. est un'ómine artu e romasu "he's a tall and thin man", but I can't really tell if it's used in the positive way that "thin" is in English, compared to say "lanky" or "emaciated"
Last edited by qwed117 on 26 Dec 2020 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

4 lexembre

žuhtèi /ʒuhˈtɛi̯/ n - (bar-shaped) handle (< dʷupədaife, dʷupəd "hand" + -aife "elongated object/tool")

Žuhtèi refers to a handle shaped like a bar, such as that of a hammer or saucepan.

5 lexembre

binéti /biˈneti/ n - head; opening (< benete "mouth")

Binitašiko šiniašan mavizo.
[binitaˈʃiko ʃini̯aˈʃan maˈvizo]
binit<ak>i-ko šiniaša-n mavi-zo
head<LOC>-1S.GEN nap.3S-PST cat-2S.GEN

Your cat napped on my head.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Lexember 6

Classical Bokisig <jezde> /'jez.de/ ['jez.dɛ] v = to be fertile (of soil)

Etymology: For Early Boksig /ɣez-he/, the second stative verbaliser (VBZ4) /he/ was added to the noun “green”. This verbaliser conveys that something has the quality of (potentially) putting something or somebody into the state described by the first element of the word. The verb /ɣezhe/ thus referred to something that had the capability of turning things green; it was used to refer to fertile soils.
Also, to continue the example of the noun /be/ “fear” cited the day before yesterday, and to further illustrate the use of this verbaliser: /be-he/ from “fear”-VBZ4 accordingly meant “to be scary”, i.e. something that has the potential to incite fear (put somebody in a state of fear).

And finally, a proverb:

Saki jezde k-a almā-l k-alsuki jezma
[‘saki 'jez.dɛ ka al’ma:l kal’su.ki jezma]
person fertile ACC-soil sell-CVB ACC-buyer fertilise
“If a person sells fertile soil, they fertilise the buyer.”

Grammatically, a converbal suffix here marks the protasis of the conditional clause; it acts just like the English word “if”. How this converbal suffix surfaces, however, is a bit less straightforward – it was /ʔul/ in Early Bokisig, and now lengthens the vowel before the final /l/ for verbs ending in –ma, while it affects other final phones differently, something we will likely see more of during Lexember!

The proverb itself is both a warning – do not sell fertile soil, the buyer will likely profit from the transaction more than you – and advice for clever soil prospectors (go for fertile soil, duh). It stems from the era after the Salstós Republic was granted more independence as fourth constituent of the Bokisig Realm in PS8836 (very roughly second century BC), and Salstós mine owners and traders who’d become rich of the iron trade tried to solidify the Republic’s hold on the territory it had been granted nominally only by buying up pastoral commons and farming lands from clans and tribes. More information on the historical background can be found here.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I completely suck at being timely and consistent with challenges like these. For the language, let's go with CT.

Lexember 1: CT tïhki [tɯ̀hkì] (pl. ituhki [ìdùhkì]) 'tunic, shirt'

Lexember 2: CT łámágn [ɬǽmǽɣn̩] 'ocean water' (which is red on Ítöð, as opposed to fresh water, which is blue)

Lexember 3: CT téurú [téùɹú] (pl. éturú [édùɹú]) 'base of a gap between the fingers; fork (in road), split; dilemma, set of options'

Lexember 4: CT mántëg [mǽndɤ̀x] (pl. ámntëg [ǽmn̩dɤ̀x]) 'uvula'

Lexember 5: CT kéré [kéɹé] (pl. ékré [égɹé]) 'knuckle'

Lexember 6: CT kaĝlatuh [kæ̀ŋlàdùh] (pl. akĝlatuh [àkŋ̩làdùh]) 'squall line'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

6m Decembr

from A Baptism of Fire: Christianity and the Baltic by Agata Naziunas, published 1988 by Leidéyai Givatés. The textbook chronicles the changing religious landscape of the Baltic peoples, from the pre-Christian period through the twelfth-century Imperial Evangelism of the Far North, and the complex alliances that formed after the German Secession.
…and while the status quo of Imperial hegemony was already falling apart (with the dissolution of the First Drengotian Empire to the west, the Genovese invasion of the Tyrrhenian Isles in 1207 and the declaration of independent Maghrebi and Libyan emirates in 1237/هـ634), its true death knell was the German Secession. Through the decades after the Pauline Denuncations each individual duchy (and in some cases each county!) declared either for Rome or for Augsburg, in a powderkeg patchwork of allegiances that, of course, led to the collapse of the German Empire in spectacular fashion.

Of particular interest is the duchy of Crain (ducātum Carniolæ), which importantly controlled the prosperous city of Verona, as well as fertile lands further east. Their declaration in support of the Roman Papacy was likely more pragmatic than out of true religious fervour (bordering both Romaine and Crovatia), but in any case they were perfectly positioned to contribute to the Baptism of the North.

Though the Order of Saint Hemma of Still Water (the Convoy Australier) had been leading the Baptism with monetary backing from Taxon of Hungary for several decades, it is in the context of the German Secession that the Baptism became an urgent project. Along with a new, more totalist Pope in Hermeneus II, it was feared that Augsburg might spread heresy faster than Rome could reach the North. To this end, forces from Rome-allied Crain and Borland converged on their first target: Lithuania…
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

6 lexembre

téži /ˈteʒi/ n - sun (< tegʷi)

kuraxa /kuˈraxa/ v - shine; (with LOC) illuminate (< kozakka, koz "light" + -akka)
kuzdam /kuzˈdam/ n - flash of light; (PL) light (< kozdamə, koz "light" + -damə)

Following from kuzdam, I'll note the deverbal suffix -idam, which is slightly augmented from the suffix in kuzdam and denotes an instance of a verb. So far, I have the derivatives makidam "reading; examination" and šiniašedam "nap".

Burar tižòġi kuzdamira.
[buˈrar tiˈʒɔɣi kuzdaˈmira]
bóra-r též<òġ>i kuzdam-ira
good-COP sun<GEN> light-PL

Sunlight is good.

Lantašiko kuran téži.
[lantaˈʃiko kuˈran ˈteʒi]
lant<ak>i-ko kóra-n téži
house<LOC>-1S.GEN shine.3S-PST sun.ABS

The sun lit up my house.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

As a wrap up of week 1, I'm just gonna give some appreciative comments to everyone who participated (by order of first participation).
Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 03 Dec 2020 09:21 Lexember 3th - Yélian

galcer [ˈgalkəd̟] - skull
Etymology: shortening of gacúleger, literally "eye-protector", via gacler (metathesis of c and l). The word used to exlusively describe the perpendicular plate and the nasal bone, but was later extended to denote the entire skull after the old word paradaû was taboo'd for religious reasons.

Nat a'paucor pucuret pès zemú o'yalis, blidet galcani cútan èn olcuspuʻatlocan.
[nat ɐˈpaʊ̯kɔ̈d̟ pʉˈkuːɾə‿pɛs cəˈmuː ɔ̈ˈʃaːlɨs, ˈbliːdə‿ˈgalkɐni ˈkuːtɐn ɛn ˈolkʉsˌpuːʔɐtˌloːlɐn]
when DEF.ANIM=general enter-3SG towards field DEF.GEN=battle, see-3SG skull-PL-ENUM hundred-PL and blood-old-much
When the general entered the battlefield, he saw hundreds of skulls and lots of old blood.

Bonus word :esp:

cabeza - head
I really like the appearance of the word "galcer", and I really love that the example sentence is pretty complex display of the word. And I'm happy to see someone else using Lexember to learn new words.
Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:15 5m Decembr

capparol /ˌka.paˈrɔl/ [ˌka.pɐˈʀɔw] chapter, section (of a book); also element of a sequence, stint

< 10C in Old Boral caveparol, cauparol “chapter” with perhaps phonological influence from Mediæval Latin capitulum “chapter (of a book or an organisation, esp. the Catholic Church)”. This is a calque from Old English heafodword “chapter”, literally “headword”, an eastern variant of heafodweard “chapter, lit. headguard” formed presumably by folk etymology. The variant is seen primarly in East Anglian sources (and in the short-lived Gambrig chronicle on Borland). The other senses capparol obtained, referring to a point in a sequence (of events, usually), are attested from the early sixteenth century.

Jo vil descombr posc l'oc capparol finir.

I’ll go to bed after I finish this chapter.

/ʒo ˈvil dɛsˈkɔm.br̩ pɔx lɔk ˌka.paˈrɔl fiˈnɪr/
I think this etymology is really cool. I didn't know that OE had a word like that, and it really fits well with the Boral aesthetic.
Davush:
Spoiler:
Davush wrote: 02 Dec 2020 21:15 2nd:

kanbu /ˈkambu/ 'door'
kanbutsi /kamˈbutsi/ 'gate, small entrance' (from kanbu 'door' + tsi 'DIM suffix')

iwahpa /iˈwahpa/ 'cave'
I really like the aesthetic of kanbu and kanbutsi, which give a vague Japanese like aesthetic, but also that of iwahpa, which reminds me of preaspiration in various American languages
DesEsseintes:
Spoiler:
DesEsseintes wrote: 01 Dec 2020 15:51 Hɨɨ - Lex 1st

vɨɨtɨn n. - cloth
iivɨtɨn - my cloth
It's been quite a while since I've seen any Hii around. Nice to see you're still working on it. Definitely a different aesthetic than most of the other languages that we see here.
spanick:
Spoiler:
spanick wrote: 01 Dec 2020 17:57 Yemya

śokh /ɕokʰ/ (n) ‘eye’ from PIE *h3óks ‘eye’. Like other words in Yemya, there is no plural form, but a fossilized dual does survive, śotśa /ɕot͡ɕɑ/.
I think this word is really cool, especially the presence of what appears to be a reflex of *h3 as ś. It very vaguely reminds me of Hindi आँख (ā̃kh), while still clearly having its own aesthetic.
brblues:
Spoiler:
brblues wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:31 Short interlude about clothing, something I think much too rarely about! Both in real life and in conworlding. So I just did some basics.

Lexember 5:

CBKSG <hol> /hol/ n = cloth
Etymology: boring, as this word was not affected by phonological or semantic changes

CBKSG <gabotag> /ga’bo.tag / n = loincloth
Etymology: Early Bokisig /ga-bo-tag/ (back-LAT-thing) n > ga'bo.tag n = thing that goes from the front (to the back)

CBKSG <sazmvhol> /saz’mɯ.hol/ n = tunic
Etymology: Early Bokisig /saz-mɛʔu-hol/ (face-ABL-cloth) n > /saz'mɯ.hol/ = cloth (worn) from the face down
I find the etymologies of the words in Early Bokisig to be quite interesting, especially the morphemes. Seems like there's an interesting derivational system in the language. Can't wait to see more!
Porphyrogenitos:
Spoiler:
Porphyrogenitos wrote: 02 Dec 2020 00:53 The word for 'black' is haku [hʷok], composed of the following formatives:

ha - 'night', also found in the full word hane [hɛn] 'night' (with formative ne, 'time', also found in lane [lɛn] 'daytime, morning', with formative la 'sun, day').

ku - a semantically vague nominal formative, often found in words designating qualities; haku might thus have originated etymologically as something like 'night-ness'.
Definitely interesting to see a language that uses metathesis so productively. I look forward to seeing more of this language.
Dormouse559:
Spoiler:
Dormouse559 wrote: 04 Dec 2020 03:12 2 lexembre

aþézza /aˈθezza/ n/adj - white (< attenza, att + -enza adjective suffix)
aþkói /aθˈkoi̯/ n - urine (< attəkoe, att + -əko diminutive + -e noun suffix)

Šinén dòbza mavi aþinaksa lantaši.
[ʃiˈnen ˈdɔbza ˈmavi aθiˈnaksa lanˈtaʃi]
šiné-n dòbza mavi aþéz<ak>za lant<ak>i
sleep-PST black cat white<LOC> house<LOC>

The black cat slept in the white house.

So yeah, the words for "white" and "urine" share a root. Fulling is fun.
The words look beautiful, and the sentences themselves are interesting with ablaut/infixing and allophony. I definitely want to see more of this language.
elemtilas:
Spoiler:
elemtilas wrote: 03 Dec 2020 02:04 (uta) 2. ôrlancos: a colour so deep, so saturated, so huesome that it becomes another colour: a purple so rich it's blue; a green so deep it's glas; a glas so rich it's grey; a grey so deep it's black; a black so rich it's red;

pantochromaticity;

the transmutation of colour such that not one colour, nor hue, nor tint dominates, but that all colours together amalgamate into one
I really like the word. Very interesting aesthetic to it. And I totally get the meaning, when me and my mom argue about what the colors of the wool she knits with are. Me: "It's black" Mom:"No, it's navy blue" Older Brother: "I thought it was burgundy" "NO"
shimobaatar:
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 02 Dec 2020 04:16 Day 1

Gán Vẽi (Entry 1):

kéi /kej˩˧/ (inanimate or animate)
Noun:
1. (inanimate) red, orange
2. (inanimate) pink, purple, magenta
3. (figurative, animate) fire, flame(s), pyre, bonfire, campfire
4. (animate) a member of the Kéi lineage
5. the low rising tone
kéi /kej˩˧/ (comparative kêi /kej˦˥˧/)
Adjective:
1. red, orange
2. pink, purple, magenta
3. (figurative) relating to fire, flame(s)
4. relating to the Kéi lineage
5. relating to the low rising tone

Etymology
From Old TBD kơih "red, fiery", from Proto-TBD *kɯr "fire, heat" + *xo "face, appearance".
I really like the language, especially the fact that you provide multiple definitions for the words, which feels more naturalistic than my 'one word, one definition' scheme. I also like that you have a sort of etymology for the word. It makes it feel like a natural language entry. Also, it's nice to see a Southeast Asian-inspired language
silvercat:
Spoiler:
silvercat wrote: 03 Dec 2020 04:24 Lexember 2 - Tynthna

tsaatromii /tsao.tɾo.miː/
dress, tunic, clothing, the basic piece of clothing. The traditional clothing which is wrapped around the body and tied with a belt.

from tromiiv 'to wear' and tsaa 'thing, item'
The aesthetic is definitely interesting. The word gives me a sort of Finnish-like feel, but the -v infinitive makes me think of Hindi infinitives. The compounding also seems pretty interesting so I hope to see more.
KaiTheHomoSapien:
Spoiler:
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 03 Dec 2020 04:20 2nd

thássos - green

As in English, thássos can metaphorically mean "young".
Kumathássā - surname, "green hill"

Bonus word:

thánnis - ivory (noun), off-white, ivory-colored (adjective)
Cf. Thannicort (Thannikórtom), capital of Arculy, lit. "ivory tower".
I really like the word thássos because it has a similar aesthetic to Greek thalassa, yet at the same time, it's clearly different in given its derivational use in Kumathássā. It's also really interesting to share the metaphorical use of 'young'.
Shemtov:
Spoiler:
Shemtov wrote: 04 Dec 2020 21:57 I will be doing Classical/Cuātlicañ Court Momṭẓʿālemeōm and Maillys concurently, as I am saying they are very distantly related, both from seperate invasions from another continent to the south, which both spoke languages of the same family, albeit distantly related branches.

Day 1:
Maillys: Pén "Head"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Fāñeh "Nobleman"

Day 2:
Maillys: Ŕŕysábh "meat"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Tlīẓeuj "bread"

Day 3:
Maillys: Myuch "Pig"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Mecuāy "edible rodent"

Day 4:
Maillys: Duśca "water"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Tōizach "water"
This certainly is an interesting set of correspondences, and I really like how the aesthetics of the two languages differ despite their common origin. Can't wait to see the expansion of these ideas
Linguifex:
Spoiler:
Linguifex wrote: 06 Dec 2020 13:03 Lexember 1: CT tïhki [tɯ̀hkì] (pl. ituhki [ìdùhkì]) 'tunic, shirt'

Lexember 2: CT łámágn [ɬǽmǽɣn̩] 'ocean water' (which is red on Ítöð, as opposed to fresh water, which is blue)
I actually really like the look of the word tïhki, and I also really like the fact that you have two different names for water based on the coloration of the water due to its origin.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad