Lexember 2020

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Dormouse559

Re: Lexember 2020

Post by Dormouse559 »

qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51Dormouse559:
The words look beautiful, and the sentences themselves are interesting with ablaut/infixing and allophony. I definitely want to see more of this language.
Thank you! :mrgreen: Nothing like a stress-conditioned alternation in the morning.

I'm afraid the infixing might be a glossing illusion. Lots of nouns and adjectives end in these suffixes (-i and -ra/za/sa) that correspond to part of speech. But they're a pain to gloss in context because they kind of act like part of a stem, but then they can be separated from the root by case affixes. And then they interact with grammar sometimes, because of the plural being a grammaticalized derivation. I just throw up my hands and assume they're part of the root [:x]

Anywho, your Hlai-langs are looking quite cool, too. Your /hl/ reflexes are super imaginative.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 6

Gán Vẽi (Entry 6):

pêu /pew˦˥˧/ (animate)
Noun:
1. dog (domesticated)
2. any canid; dog, wild dog, fox, jackal, wolf
3. (informal) an anxious or paranoid person, someone who's always on high-alert
4. (informal) workaholic, someone with a single-minded dedication to their occupation
5. (informal) animal whisperer, someone skilled at interacting with animals in some way
pêu /pew˦˥˧/ (comparative pêu ma /pew˦˥˧ ma˧/)
Adjective:
1. canine, pertaining to dogs or other canids
2. dog-like
3. (informal) anxious, paranoid, on guard, on edge
4. (informal) obsessed (with work)
5. (informal) skilled with animals

Etymology
From Old TBD pêuʔ "guard dog, watchdog, herding dog", from Proto-TBD *pe "to yell, to cry, to yelp, to bark" + *lɯk "wild dog".
Usage notes
Noun & Adjective:
Sense 3 is typically, although not exclusively, derogatory. When used as a compliment, pêu may instead be translated as "vigilant (person), alert (person), careful (person)".
Senses 4-5 are most commonly used in reference to someone whose job is associated with dogs, such as a shepherd or hunter.

Example sentence:
Pêu trẽi nâ píu lì minh rĩu lì dũ gỏm pé pé pé hō.
/pew˦˥˧ ʈ͡ʂej˧˩ na˦˥˧ piw˩˧ li˥˧ miɲ˧ ɻiw˧˩ li˥˧ ɗu˧˩ ɣom˨˩˨ pe˩˧ pe˩˧ pe˩˧ ho˥/
[pɛw˦˥˧ ʈ͡ʂɛj˧˨ n̪aː˧˥˧ pɪw˩˧ ð̞iː˥˧ mɪ̃ɲ˧ ɻɪw˧˨ ð̞iː˦˧ ɗ̪uː˧˩ ɣɔ̃m˨˩˨ pe˩ pe˩ peː˩˧ ɦoː˥]
pêu trẽi nâ píu lì minh rĩu lì dũ gỏm=pé~pé~pé=hō
dog rot 1s.GEN from rise light to rise dark 3s.HAB=bark~INT~INT=DIR
Morning, noon, and night, my damn dog's always barking away at something.

Thedish (Entry 6):

mistel /ˈmɪstəl/ (plural mistels /ˈmɪstəls/)
Noun:
1. mistletoe, European mistletoe, common mistletoe (Viscum album)
2. a number of plant species similar in appearance and behavior to (European) mistletoe
3. mistle thrush (Turdus viscivorus)
4. (rare) mistletoe sap, viscin, birdlime
5. the custom of kissing under mistletoe
6. (informal, dated) Christmas decorations
7. (archaic) basil

Etymology
From Old Thedish mistel, from Proto-Germanic *mistilaz. Compare English mistle, German Mistel.
Usage notes
With the exception of Sense 3, mistel is typically uncountable. However, the plural mistels may be used to refer to, for instance, multiple species of mistletoe.

moer /ˈmuːr/ (plural moeren /ˈmuːrən/)
Noun:
1. carrot (Daucus carota subsp. sativus)
2. wild carrot (Daucus carota)
3. parsnip (Pastinaca sativa)

Etymology
From Old Thedish mōra, from Proto-Germanic *murhǭ. Compare German Möhre.

Example sentence:
Seuker is mistel mere romantish, dow moeren does beter gost.
/ˈsøːkər ɪs ˈmɪstəl meːr rɔˈmantɪʃ | dɔʊ̯ ˈmuːrən duːs ˈbeːtər ˈgɔst/
[ˈsøːkəɾ‿z ˈmɪsːəɫ mɛɾ ɾəˈmɑ̃ntɨʃ | do ˈmuːɾn dʊz ˈbeːtəɾ ˈgɔst̚]
seuker is-Ø mistel mere romantish, dow moer-en doe-s beter gost-Ø  
certainly be.PRES-PRES mistletoe more romantic, though carrot-PL do.PRES-PRES better taste-S.INF
Sure, mistletoe's more romantic, but carrots taste better.

I was hoping I'd have time this weekend to finally go back and add example sentences to at least some of my previous posts, but that hasn't worked out. Maybe next week!
Edit: Examples added on December 19th, 2020.

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 23:09 True -- Silvish is spoken in modern times, for instance.
Even in this thread, I believe Jackk's Boral is as well. I'm not sure about qwed117's a posteriori Hlai language, though.
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 23:09 Although it looks as if Thedish may be in its own subbranch of Germanic?
Well, it's definitely meant to be West Germanic. If it were a real language, it would likely be classified as Ingvaeonic/North Sea Germanic, possibly even Anglo-Frisian. However, I am deriving it directly from reconstructed Proto-Germanic, rather than any attested "Old" West Germanic language like Old English, Old Frisian, Old Saxon, Old Dutch, or Old High German.

qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 I really like the language, especially the fact that you provide multiple definitions for the words, which feels more naturalistic than my 'one word, one definition' scheme. I also like that you have a sort of etymology for the word. It makes it feel like a natural language entry. Also, it's nice to see a Southeast Asian-inspired language
Thank you! Although, I'm sure "one word, one definition" makes things go a lot quicker when it comes time to post here, and it leaves plenty of room for elaboration, so to speak, in the future.

As I said on the first day, I'm a fan of both of your Hlai-based languages. It's nice to see more of *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u as well, of course, and I'm impressed and glad to see that you're keeping up with Sardinian.
Last edited by zyma on 19 Dec 2020 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 6th

Unnamed A-Priori Hlai-lang
sêkw3-ang2 /sɛːkʷ˧˩˥aŋ˥/ v. to go to

*S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u
*s₃ajt-o n. claw, paw, nail, toe

Unnamed A-Posteriori Hlai-lang
kok˥ n bald from Proto-Hlai *hŋuːk 'white hair' cf. Bouhin ŋuːʔ7 Lauhut kuːk7 Zandui kʰuaʔ7
The lowering of /uː/ to /o/ is unique to UAPsHL, I think as a larger shift in the language away from long vowels. Not quite sure what made me do this, other than a general fear of vowels. The vowel changes ultimately aren't too apparent, and instead most of the differential is concentrated in the initial consonants. I wish I committed more so to making the vowels weird rather than doing this half effort. Glad that I've grown (I think?) in the last three years.

Sardinian
trigu nm. wheat from Latin TRITICUM, alternate forms tridigu, tridicu and tricu indicate that a borrowing from Iberian Romance's syncopated form *trigo. is unlikely. cf. Old Portuguese triigo, Spanish trigo, Javanese trigu 'wheat flour'

Posche chenare, mandhighesi unu biscotu frissu de trigu
After eating dinner, I ate a fried wheat cracker

Dormouse559 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 02:37
qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51Dormouse559:
The words look beautiful, and the sentences themselves are interesting with ablaut/infixing and allophony. I definitely want to see more of this language.
Thank you! :mrgreen: Nothing like a stress-conditioned alternation in the morning.

I'm afraid the infixing might be a glossing illusion. Lots of nouns and adjectives end in these suffixes (-i and -ra/za/sa) that correspond to part of speech. But they're a pain to gloss in context because they kind of act like part of a stem, but then they can be separated from the root by case affixes. And then they interact with grammar sometimes, because of the plural being a grammaticalized derivation. I just throw up my hands and assume they're part of the root [:x]

Anywho, your Hlai-langs are looking quite cool, too. Your /hl/ reflexes are super imaginative.
It's still pretty cool, even if it isn't really infixing. There's always a billion options for how to analyse it, and I'm sure the native linguists would have their many arguments for and against.

And thanks about the Hlai-langs. The reflexes of /hl/ were not something I immediately noticed when I threw the proto-words and the sound changes into the SCA2. I guess me from 3 years ago (last edit was in November 2017) was far more adventurous and linguistically interesting than I took him for. At least with the proto-Hlai initials. I presume he, like me today, was utterly confused and confounded by vowels. I think that much is well evidenced in the sound changes (which differ from modern Hlai languages in exceedingly few words).
shimobaatar wrote: 07 Dec 2020 04:25
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 23:09 True -- Silvish is spoken in modern times, for instance.
Even in this thread, I believe Jackk's Boral is as well. I'm not sure about qwed117's a posteriori Hlai language, though.
qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 I really like the language, especially the fact that you provide multiple definitions for the words, which feels more naturalistic than my 'one word, one definition' scheme. I also like that you have a sort of etymology for the word. It makes it feel like a natural language entry. Also, it's nice to see a Southeast Asian-inspired language
Thank you! Although, I'm sure "one word, one definition" makes things go a lot quicker when it comes time to post here, and it leaves plenty of room for elaboration, so to speak, in the future.

As I said on the first day, I'm a fan of both of your Hlai-based languages. It's nice to see more of *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u as well, of course, and I'm impressed and glad to see that you're keeping up with Sardinian.
For what it's worth, my intention was that the a posteriori Hlai language is spoken in the modern-day world; however, since the documentation on the Hlai language's syntax and vocabulary beyond the reconstructed terms is distinctly lacking, it is difficult for me to fill it with modern vocabulary (unless I decide to borrow heavily from Hainanese Min, Pinghua, and Yue). As a result, the vocabulary is much more similar to an medieval language than a modern one.

I spend so much time agonizing over one definition sometimes that it surely feels better that I'm not agonizing over four or five, certainly! I do already have on my mind idioms, for example <raw4 zhèw3> 'wearing a body' will probably mean being naked, or something. Thanks for the kind remarks on my Hlai-based languages. It's definitely a good exercise for me after being very demotivated with conlanging. I was talking through a linguistics friend on it, and I realized that it's been the most 'fun' I've had in a while. I ultimately made a sentence with an interlinear gloss (using some nonce words though) for them, and I felt good writing it. Writing words for *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u is starting to get tricky, because I don't really know what words to add that don't make the vocabulary advanced-beyond-reconstruction, but there's still gaps here and there, so I have to think hard on this. It might even be useful to start making more definite rules as to compounding or derivation now, but I still want to add a few words here and there. And with Sardinian, my decision to work on Sardinian comes in short bursts, so it's good for me to take that energy and try and force myself to spread it out over a month. At least that way, it's not like a thing I start and then stop and ignore for time eternal (like Sardinian Memrise lessons [:$])
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Day 5:
Maillys: Bóiseuth "Ale"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Pōxēouc "Chicha; Corn Beer"

Day 6:
Maillys: Baisteĺ "Mead"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Pāxcheñ "Rum"

Day 7:
Maillys: Xaill "Honey"
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: ṭẓʿētl "Honey"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 As a wrap up of week 1, I'm just gonna give some appreciative comments to everyone who participated
Thanks for the wrap up! While I use the Lexember mostly for myself to defeat my lockdown-induced apathy and laziness, it's still nice to see that other people read and enjoy my entries. I personally think it's very cool how you manage to create words not for one, but for three languages at a time. I would like to see some example sentences from you though!

Lexember 6th and 7th - Yélian

yitármiku [ɕɨˈtaɾmikʉ] - celery, fennel
Etymology: from yitár "star" + miku "leek", literally "star leek"

USAGE NOTES: Note that Yélian uses the same word for celery and fennel, as both plants weren't native to Yélians. If you need to differentiate, you'd propably call the latter yitármikuzali "sweet star leek"

plærmude [pləɾˈmuːdə] - salt lake
Etymology: from plær "salt" + samude "lake"

Additional word coined for the example sentence:
Spoiler:
vinquárasa [vɨŋˈkaːɾɐsɐ] - nutrient [Kingdom standard]
vincársa [vɨŋˈkaɾsɐ] - nutrient [Provinces standard]
Etymology: from vinqua/vinca "to live" + árasa "containment, element, matter"
Ivarsbut pi parlest cu yavar o'plærmude. Yiværelaʻinest u'yitármiku, cut u'pastor cimupumbut vingárasan.
[ˈiʋɐɾsbʉ‿pɨ ˈpaɾləst kʉ ˈʃaːʋɐd̟ ɔ̈pləɾˈmuːdə | ɕɨʋəɾˌelɐˈʔiːnəst ʉɕɨˈtaɾmikʉ, kʉt ʉˈpastɔ̈d̟ kɨmʉˈpumbʉt vɨnˈgaːɾɐsɐn]
difficult-COP.3SG.INAN that survive-1PLEX at shore DEF.GEN=salt_lake | PST-try-grow-1PLEX DEF.INAN=selery, but DEF.INAN=soil NEG-enough-contain-COP.3SG.INAN nutrient-PL
It's really hard to survive at the shore of the salt lake. We tried to grow celery, but the soil doesn't contain enough nutrients.

Bonus words :esp: :

pera [peɾa] - pear
piso [ˈpiso] - floor
Last edited by Iyionaku on 11 Dec 2020 07:54, edited 2 times in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 I think this etymology is really cool. I didn't know that OE had a word like that, and it really fits well with the Boral aesthetic.
Thank you! [<3]
7m Decembr
hast pareïr /ˈhast ˌpa.riˈɪr/ [ˈhast ˌpa.ʀɪˈjɪː] to keep up, follow closely; match, be as competent as

< in use since the 13C in Middle Boral hast pareyir, literally meaning “to have the same speed”. Extended to metaphorical use “to follow (someone’s arguments), to keep up (with a lesson)” quickly, by 14C. More distant senses are seen only in the last two centuries. The noun hast “speed” is a borrowing from Old English hǣst “violence, strife”, with semantic influence from Old Dutch hást “haste, hurry”. The verb comes from parey “same, equal”, a dialect form from Vulgar Latin pariclus, from Latin pār “even, equal”.

Nostr y picq navel pareyeu hast admirabr coll'ig vostr.

Our little ship kept up admirably with your one.

/ˌnɔstr‿i ˈpɪk naˈvɛl ˌpa.riˈjaw ˈhast ˌad.miˈra.br̩ ko.laj ˈvɔstr̩/
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 I really like the word thássos because it has a similar aesthetic to Greek thalassa, yet at the same time, it's clearly different in given its derivational use in Kumathássā. It's also really interesting to share the metaphorical use of 'young'.[/spoiler]
Thanks for the support Qwed [:)]

I knew I would fall behind in this, but I'm not giving up:

3rd

aúros - masc. - circle, cycle
aurínkos - adj. - circular, round

-ínkos is a generic adjective forming suffix, but it's also become a place name suffix (by analogy with place names whose origins are adjectival). aúros only coincidentally resembles óriath, the word for "world", but by folk etymology the two have been connected.

4th

kátū - indec. - ten

Cf. Lihmelinyan kátā. Like all numbers larger than four, it is indeclinable and functions as both an adjective and a noun.

The Arculese word for "eight" is péntā, which is a bit confusing given its resemblence to the Greek word for "five". (Cf. Lihmelinyan kuéntā).

5th

bléddos - masc. - robe, dress, covering

This refers to a light masculine robe worn in warm weather or associated with part of the priestly garb. It can also be used to refer to a woman's long dress, but that's a less common usage. A midárā is a woman's kimono-like formal dress.

6th

márnos - masc. - lemon, citron, citrus in general

Refers to both the tree and the fruit. Lemons grow natively along Manter's west coast. While they don't tend to do well in Arculy itself, lemons are popular across the kingdom. Mantians add lemon juice to everything: it's an essential part of many sauces, they rub it on bread, they sweeten lemon slices and eat them, and they're are also used for their fragrance.

7th

várvalom - neut. - grass

I love the sound of this word. It's so euphonic, particularly the genitive singular, varvalósjo. In the singular it can mean "blade of grass" and in the plural it can mean "grassland".
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

7 lexembre

I've got at least a working name for this conlang: Iluhsa [iˈluhsa].

muði [ˈmuði] n - dog (< meudde)
nuna [ˈnuna] adv - well (< neuna; suppletive adverb of bóra "good")

Liban mamašimko muði.
[liˈban mamaˈʃimko ˈmuði]
liba-n mam-a-šim-kav muði
give.3S-PST mother-ERG-1S.GEN-1S.DAT dog.ABS

My mother gave me a dog.

Some of the protolang's diphthongs now survive to the modern form. They only appear in initial syllables, and they monophthongize after prefixes, like the newly added polar-question prefix:

zé- - forms polar questions

— Nuna zišinérni? — Nuna šeinéġġi.
[ˈnuna ziʃiˈnerni | ˈnuna ʃei̯ˈneɣɣi]
nuna zé-šéini-n-r | nuna šéini-n-ġ
well INT-sleep-PST-2S.NOM | well sleep-PST-1S.NOM

— Did you sleep well? — I slept well.

qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 It's still pretty cool, even if it isn't really infixing. There's always a billion options for how to analyse it, and I'm sure the native linguists would have their many arguments for and against.
If the language ever gets a conculture, it'll probably be Greco-Roman-inspired. I can already hear the philosophers pontificating on the nature of noun declensions.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 7

Gán Vẽi (Entry 7):

ngẻi /ŋej˨˩˨/ (inanimate)
Noun:
1. a plant of the genus Capsicum
2. the mild fruit of such a plant; pepper, bell pepper, sweet pepper
3. the spicy fruit of such a plant; pepper, chili pepper, hot pepper
4. chili powder, paprika
5. (informal) any spice, seasoning
6. the taste of spice
ngẻi /ŋej˨˩˨/ (comparative ngei ma /ŋej˧ ma˧/)
Adjective:
1. relating to the genus Capsicum
2. resembling the fruit of a member of that genus
3. hot, spicy, pungent (of food)
ngẻi /ŋej˨˩˨/ (causative xā ngẻi /ɕa˥ ŋej˨˩˨/)
Verb:
1. to season, to spice (up), to add spice to
2. to sell, to promote, to make seem appealing
3. (informal) to fix, to repair, to solve (a problem)

Etymology
From Old TBD d·ʔkơi "hot pepper, spice", from Proto-TBD *dɔɔʔ "to chew" + *kɯr "fire, heat".

Example sentence:
Ngẻi kéi nha ma píu ngẻi srǎi mãu ná vǐ hō.
/ŋej˨˩˨ kej˩˧ ɲa˧ ma˧ piw˩˧ ŋej˨˩˨ ʂaj˧˨˧ maw˧˩ na˩˧ vi˧˨˧ ho˥/
[ŋʲɛj˨˩˨ kʲɛj˩˧ ɲaː˧ maː˧ pɪw˩˧ ŋʲɛj˨˩˨ ʂaj˧˨˧ mɑw˧˩ n̪aː˩˧ ʋiː˧˨˧ ɦoː˥]
ngẻi kéi nha ma píu ngẻi srǎi mãu ná vǐ=hō
pepper red soft CMPR from pepper blue at 1s seem=DIR
I like hot peppers more than sweet ones.

Thedish (Entry 7):

netel /ˈneːtəl/ (plural neteln /ˈneːtəln/)
Noun:
1. nettle, common nettle, stinging nettle Urtica dioica
2. any plant of the genus Urtica, "true nettles"
3. any "stinging plant"
4. any non-stinging plant resembling a nettle
5. any skin-irritating plant
6. (rare) cactus
7. sea nettle, jellyfish
8. (informal, dated) annoying person, pest, nuisance

Alternative forms
nettel, nistel, netels (pl.)
Etymology
From Old Thedish nętele, from Proto-Germanic *natilǭ. Compare English nettle, Dutch netel, German Nessel.
The alternative form nistel /ˈnɪstəl/ came about via analogy with words such as mistel /ˈmɪstəl/ "mistletoe" and distel /ˈdɪstəl/ "thistle". The alternative plural form netels /ˈneːtəls/ is likewise thought to have originated via analogy with the plurals of these words, mistels /ˈmɪstəls/ and distels /ˈdɪstəls/.

selgh /ˈsɛlx/ (plural siles /ˈsiːl(ə)s/)
Noun:
1. harbor seal, common seal (Phoca vitulina)
2. grey seal (Halichoerus grypus)
3. earless seal, true seal, crawling seal, phocid; any member of the family Phocidae
4. any pinniped
5. (folklore) selkie

Alternative forms
seulgh, siolgh, shelgh, sile, sule, sules (pl.), selghes (pl.)
Etymology
From Old Thedish selh, from Proto-Germanic selhaz. Compare English seal, Scots selch, Icelandic selur, Swedish säl.

Example sentence:
Siles en neteln does bein in de sew wune.
/ˈsiːləs ɛn ˈneːtəln duːs ˈbɛɪ̯n ɪn də ˈsøː ˈwyːn/
[ˈsiːɫs‿ə̃n ˈneːtəɫn dʊz ˈbɛ̃ɪ̯̃n‿ɨ̃n‿nə ˈsøː ˈwỹːn]
sile-s en netel-n doe-s bein in de sew wune-Ø 
seal-PL and nettle-PL do.PRES-PRES both in DEF sea reside-S.INF
Seals and jellyfish both live in the ocean.

qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 For what it's worth, my intention was that the a posteriori Hlai language is spoken in the modern-day world; however, since the documentation on the Hlai language's syntax and vocabulary beyond the reconstructed terms is distinctly lacking, it is difficult for me to fill it with modern vocabulary (unless I decide to borrow heavily from Hainanese Min, Pinghua, and Yue). As a result, the vocabulary is much more similar to an medieval language than a modern one.
That's certainly understandable. Do you know if there are any adequate resources available to you on any of the languages you'd potentially be borrowing from?
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 I spend so much time agonizing over one definition sometimes that it surely feels better that I'm not agonizing over four or five, certainly! I do already have on my mind idioms, for example <raw4 zhèw3> 'wearing a body' will probably mean being naked, or something.
Ah yes, I know the feeling, unfortunately. Oh nice, idioms are always fun to have/make.
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 Thanks for the kind remarks on my Hlai-based languages. It's definitely a good exercise for me after being very demotivated with conlanging. I was talking through a linguistics friend on it, and I realized that it's been the most 'fun' I've had in a while. I ultimately made a sentence with an interlinear gloss (using some nonce words though) for them, and I felt good writing it.
I'm very glad to hear it!
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 Writing words for *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u is starting to get tricky, because I don't really know what words to add that don't make the vocabulary advanced-beyond-reconstruction, but there's still gaps here and there, so I have to think hard on this. It might even be useful to start making more definite rules as to compounding or derivation now, but I still want to add a few words here and there.
That's a good point. If you'd be open to it, maybe you could temporarily switch to coining vocabulary for some of its descendants?
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 And with Sardinian, my decision to work on Sardinian comes in short bursts, so it's good for me to take that energy and try and force myself to spread it out over a month. At least that way, it's not like a thing I start and then stop and ignore for time eternal (like Sardinian Memrise lessons [:$])
Trying to spread your Sardinian-focused energy out, so to speak, sounds like a good idea to me. Best of luck!
Last edited by zyma on 19 Dec 2020 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The LCV lists for week 2:

PLANT PARTS (Part IV)
Spoiler:
bark
branch
bud (of flower)
fruit (on plant)
leaf (on plant)*
leaf (fallen off)*
log
root
seed (to be planted)*
seed (inside apple, watermelon, etc.)*
stem
stem (of grass)
stem (of fruit)
stick*
MORE PLANT PARTS (Part V)
Spoiler:
cone
needle
pod
shoot, sprout, bud
thorn
trunk
twig (on tree)
twig (when cut)
PLANTS (Part IV)
Spoiler:
plant*
female (plant)
male (plant)
bush
flower, blossom, bloom*
tree*
bulb
berry
grass
grain
corn, maize
rice
wheat
apple
banana
cherry (sweet)
cherry (sour)
coconut
lemon
orange
peach
pear
pineapple
strawberry (cultivated)
strawberry (wild)
bean
carrot
garlic
ginger
olive
onion
pea
pepper (Capsicum)
potato
tomato
peanut
coffee
tea
cotton
tobacco
lily
rose
palm
MORE PLANTS (Part V)
Spoiler:
herb
weed
vine
barley
millet
oats
rye
sorghum
sugarcane
bamboo
quinoa
apricot
blackberry
blueberry
breadfruit
cherimoya
cranberry
date
dragon fruit
durian
fig
grape
grapefruit
guava
kiwifruit
kumquat
lime (small)
lime (big)
longan
loquat
lychee
mango
mangosteen
melon
pandanus
papaya
passionfruit
plantain
plum
pomegranate
rambutan
raspberry
sapodilla
starfruit
tamarind
tangerine
watermelon
anise
artichoke
asparagus
avocado
beet
broccoli
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
chard
cilantro
cucumber
eggplant
garbanzo
green bean, string bean
green onion
kale
kidney bean
leek
lentil
lettuce
parsley
pumpkin
radish
soybean
spinach
squash (summer)
squash (winter)
sweet potato
taro
yam
zucchini
basil
rosemary
sage
thyme
almond
cashew
chestnut
hazelnut
macadamia
pistachio
walnut
nutmeg
pepper (Piper)
cinnamon
mustard
ginseng
sesame
cacao
cassava
hops
wormwood
flax
hemp
daffodil
dahlia
daisy (as garden flower)
geranium
hibiscus
iris
lavender
lilac
lotus (Nelumbinaceae)
marigold (Calendula officinalis)
morning glory
oleander
orchid
poppy
sunflower
tulip
violet
wisteria
cactus
rubber
rattan
moss
fern
reed
clover
milkweed
holly
ivy
poison oak
poison ivy
poison sumac
juniper
pine
fir
spruce
cedar
ginkgo
magnolia
maple
birch
willow
oak
elm
ash
ANIMALS (Part IV)
Spoiler:
animal
baby (animal)
adult (animal)
female (aquatic creature)
male (aquatic creature)
female (bug)
male (bug)
female (amphibian/reptile)
male (amphibian/reptile)
female (bird)
male (bird)
female (mammal)
male (mammal)
pregnant (of an animal)
pregnancy (of animals)
dead (of an animal)
alive, living (of an animal)
predator (bug)
predator (fish)
predator (amphibian, reptile)
predator (bird)
predator (mammal)
prey
beast (wild, violent animal)
name (of pet)
pet
to have (a pet)
marine
worm
bug (informal classification for terrestrial arthropods)
spider
insect
louse (head)
louse (body)
louse (crab)
fly
butterfly
ant
bee
fish
shark
frog
snake
bird (viewed as taxonomic class)
bird (I saw a ~ in the tree)
chicken
hen
rooster
chick
duck (domestic)
goose (domestic)
eagle
owl (short-eared owl)
mouse
rat
rabbit
bat
horse
pony
pig
camel
deer
cattle
cow
cow (dairy)
bull
goat
sheep (collective, analogous to cattle)
sheep (individual)
lamb
cat
kitten
lion
tiger
dog
puppy
wolf
fox
bear
seal
seal (fur seal)
elephant
whale
monkey
human
dinosaur
alien, extraterrestrial
monster
dragon
giant
fairy
MORE ANIMALS (Part V)
Spoiler:
sponge
jellyfish
coral
sea anemone
starfish
sea urchin
sea cucumber
snail (terrestrial)
snail (aquatic)
slug
clam
oyster
mussel
scallop
octopus
squid
crab
lobster (with claws)
lobster (spiny lobster)
hermit crab
shrimp
prawn
scorpion
tick
centipede
dragonfly
grasshopper
cricket
praying mantis
cockroach
bedbug
termite
nit
flea
beetle
ladybug
firefly
mosquito
silkworm
cocoon
moth
moth (clothes moth)
caterpillar (fuzzy)
caterpillar (non-fuzzy)
caterpillar (green)
chrysalis
wasp
ray
sturgeon
eel (marine)
eel (freshwater)
cod
salmon
trout
herring
anchovy
carp
goldfish
catfish
piranha
bass (marine)
bass (freshwater)
mackerel
tuna
tilapia
swordfish
sole
seahorse
blowfish, pufferfish
amphibian
tadpole
toad
reptile
turtle
lizard
chameleon
iguana
cobra
python
rattlesnake
alligator
crocodile
ostrich
penguin
turkey
quail
pheasant
peacock
duck (wild)
duckling (domestic)
duckling (wild)
goose (wild)
gosling (domestic)
gosling (wild)
swan
cygnet
pigeon
dove
crane
stork
ibis
flamingo
hawk
falcon
condor
vulture
owl (barn owl)
seagull
plover
pelican
heron
kingfisher
swallow
robin (Turdus migratorius)
bluebird
sparrow
blackbird (Icteridae)
blue jay
crow
raven
woodpecker
toucan
cuckoo
hummingbird
parakeet (Melopsittacus)
parrot (large)
parrot (small)
mammal
kangaroo
koala
gerbil
hamster
beaver
squirrel
chipmunk
gopher
porcupine
guinea pig
mole
hedgehog
armadillo
donkey
zebra
rhinoceros
tapir
sow
boar
piglet
llama
alpaca
reindeer
giraffe
antelope
buffalo
water buffalo
yak
ox
calf
nanny-goat
billy-goat
kid
ewe
ram
hippopotamus
jaguar
leopard
mountain lion, cougar, puma
coyote
jackal
badger
otter (sea)
ferret
skunk
polar bear
cub (bear)
panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca)
walrus
dolphin
orca
baboon
ape (one of the great apes)
gorilla
orangutan
chimpanzee
pterodactyl
mammoth
unicorn
ogre
goblin
mermaid
phoenix
werewolf
little person
THE NATURAL WORLD (Part IV)
Spoiler:
world*
universe
nature
natural (resources)
wilderness
space (time and ~)
space (outer space)
environment
galaxy
sun*
ray, beam (of sun)
star*
planet
moon (the Moon)*
moon, satellite (in astronomy: Mars has two ~s)
sky*
weather
wind*
rain*
snow
frost
mist
fog
storm
storm (thunderstorm)
lightning (at day)
lightning (at night)
thunder
cloud*
rainbow
hurricane
hurricane (tropical)
to rain
to snow
to blow (of wind)
light (rain)
heavy (rain)
strong (wind)
weak (wind)
sunshine
cold (of weather)
cool (of weather)
warm (of weather)
hot (of weather)
cold (~ day, ~ winter)
hot (~ day, ~ summer)
climate
water (cold, moving)*
water (hot, moving)*
water (cold, not moving)*
water (hot, not moving)*
ice*
ice (on roads)
steam, vapor
bubble (of water)
bubble (of air, gas)
foam
air (gas)
air (atmosphere)
air (sky)*
light*
spark (electric)
fire*
fire (electric, gas)
flame
spark (of fire)
earth*
wood*
metal
chemical
poison
crystal (crystallized structure)
ashes (of fire)
ashes (of cremated person or animal)
clay
coal
dust*
glass
mud
oil (substance that does not mix with water)
oil, petroleum
well (for oil)
oil (for bicycle, hinge, etc.)
rock, stone*
stone (material)
rock (in the sea)
salt*
sand*
smoke
soil, dirt*
fossil
jewel
diamond
emerald
ruby
sapphire
jade
crystal (quartz)
crystal (glass crystal)
marble
pearl
ivory
equator
pole (North ~)
desert (sandy)
desert (barren)
forest
grassland, plain
jungle
swamp, marsh
beach (sandy)
beach (rocky)
cave
cliff
coast
coast (rocky)
hill
island
mountain*
mountains (mountain chain: the Rocky ~)
shore
valley
land
ground
fire (conflagration)
flood
wild (of plants)
wild (of animals)
MORE NATURAL WORLD (Part V)
Spoiler:
orbit
comet
asteroid
crater
eclipse (solar)
eclipse (lunar)
solar system
Milky Way
Andromeda
constellation
Aries
Taurus
Gemini
Cancer
Leo
Virgo
Libra
Scorpio
Sagittarius
Capricorn
Aquarius
Pisces
Lyra
Orion
Pleiades
Sirius
Aldebaran
Algol
Antares
Betelgeuse
Polaris
Regulus
Rigel
Vega
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
ozone layer
atmosphere
hail
dew
tornado
ember
driftwood
charcoal (for drawing)
charcoal (for barbecue)
archipelago (island chain)
archipelago (any island group, not necessarily a chain)
cape
peninsula
amber
rain-forest
tundra
mainland
continent
oasis
slope
volcano
natural disaster
avalanche
drought
earthquake
famine
global warming
plague
pollution
WATER (Part IV)
Spoiler:
ocean, sea*
sea (body of salt water larger than a lake)
river (flowing into the sea)*
river (flowing into another river)*
stream
lake*
pond
bank
bay
gulf
wave
tide
waterfall
well (for water)
spring
surface (of water)
to float
to drift (on the water)
to sink
to drown
to drown (die by drowning)
to flow (move in a stream)*
to flow through
to flow into
to leak (pipe)
to leak (roof)
to leak (boat)
to leak (of liquid or gas)
to splash (scatter liquid)
to spray
to fight (a fire)
to soak (make wet)
to soak (immerse)
to flush
clean (energy, fuel, water)
dirty (energy, fuel, water)
MORE WATER (Part V)
Spoiler:
fresh water
salt water
brackish water
current
tsunami
PLACE NAMES, ETHNICITIES, NATIONALITIES, LANGUAGES (Part V) -- some geography!
Spoiler:
U.K., Great Britain; British
England; English
Wales; Welsh
Scotland; Scottish
Ireland; Irish
Germany; German
Switzerland; Swiss
Austria; Austrian
Netherlands; Dutch
Sweden; Swedish
Denmark; Danish
Norway; Norwegian
Finland; Finnish
France; French
Spain; Spanish
Portugal; Portuguese
Italy; Italian
Greece; Greek
Hungary; Hungarian
Poland; Polish
Czech
Russia; Russian
Armenia; Armenian
Turkey; Turkish
Israel; Israeli
Jewish, Hebrew, Jew
Arab, Arabic
Palestine; Palestinian
Jordan; Jordanian
Iraq; Iraqi
Lebanon; Lebanese
Syria; Syrian
Egypt; Egyptian
Iran; Iranian, Persian, Farsi
Afghanistan; Afghan, Pushto
Pakistan; Pakistani; Urdu
India; Indian, Hindi
China; Chinese
Mandarin
Cantonese
Taiwan; Taiwanese
Japan; Japanese
Korea; Korean
Vietnam; Vietnamese
Cambodia; Cambodian, Khmer
Laos; Laotian, Lao
Thailand; Thai
Indonesia; Indonesian
Philippines; Filipino, Tagalog
Canada; Canadian
United States, U.S., America; American
Mexico; Mexican
Puerto Rico; Puerto Rican
Cuba; Cuban
Jamaica; Jamaican
Haiti; Haitian
Peru; Peruvian
Argentina; Argentinian
Chile; Chilean
Brazil; Brazilian
Nigeria; Nigerian
Kenya; Kenyan; Swahili
New Zealand; New Zealander
Australia; Australian
Europe; European
Middle East; Middle Eastern
Asia; Asian
Africa; African
North America; North American
American Indian, Native American
Hispanic, Latina, Latino
South America; South American
California
Texas
Florida
New York
Los Angeles
Washington
London
Paris
Rome; Roman, Latin
Athens
Tokyo
U.S.S.R.; Soviet
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Catching up

Here are some of the inflecting verbs in Tynthna

4 tuthav - have / hold
5 charuv - feel (with hands, skin, etc)
6 tarov - grow, get larger, expand
7 tramuv - walk, crawl
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 7th

myo1-ang2 /mjo˧aŋ˥/ v. to find I realize this is incredibly vague, so let’s just add this part here: [an object]
jëu1-ja4 /ɕɤu˧ɕa˩˥/ n. butterfly, Lepidopterans without any fuzzy scales (sadly not monophyletic, unlike the term 'butterfly'), regional variant, jow1-ca4 /ɕow˧tɕa˩˥/. Coined because I found a tiny dead moth in my room. It didn't have fuzzy scales

*S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u
*ajk-u n. hollow, cave, depression, valley

fok˥ v to write from Proto-Hlai *p-luːk 'to make a mark' cf. Moyfaw [p]uːk7 Lauhut pluːk7 Zandui puaʔ7

Sardinian
perca, pelcia, pescia, preca, percia nf. cave I have no idea what the etymology could be, and hence what the most conservative 'best' form is. It seems likely to be a substrate word. I favor perca for the time being. There is also aruta/ruta, very likely from Latin CRYPTA

Iyionaku wrote: 07 Dec 2020 11:26
qwed117 wrote: 06 Dec 2020 23:51 As a wrap up of week 1, I'm just gonna give some appreciative comments to everyone who participated
Thanks for the wrap up! While I use the Lexember mostly for myself to defeat my lockdown-induced apathy and laziness, it's still nice to see that other people read and enjoy my entries. I personally think it's very cool how you manage to create words not for one, but for three languages at a time. I would like to see some example sentences from you though!
Thank you! Although, really I'm only creating words for two language (Unnamed A Priori, and *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u), the sound changes in the Hlai language were made in 2017, I just never got around to punching it through the SCA2, other than a handful of words. Part of what makes it hard to write sentences is that I haven't really thought out the grammar yet, and I've been trying to avoid thinking about grammar outside of nonce words (until the end of Lexember).
shimobaatar wrote: 08 Dec 2020 02:08
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 For what it's worth, my intention was that the a posteriori Hlai language is spoken in the modern-day world; however, since the documentation on the Hlai language's syntax and vocabulary beyond the reconstructed terms is distinctly lacking, it is difficult for me to fill it with modern vocabulary (unless I decide to borrow heavily from Hainanese Min, Pinghua, and Yue). As a result, the vocabulary is much more similar to an medieval language than a modern one.
That's certainly understandable. Do you know if there are any adequate resources available to you on any of the languages you'd potentially be borrowing from?
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 I spend so much time agonizing over one definition sometimes that it surely feels better that I'm not agonizing over four or five, certainly! I do already have on my mind idioms, for example <raw4 zhèw3> 'wearing a body' will probably mean being naked, or something.
Ah yes, I know the feeling, unfortunately. Oh nice, idioms are always fun to have/make.
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 Thanks for the kind remarks on my Hlai-based languages. It's definitely a good exercise for me after being very demotivated with conlanging. I was talking through a linguistics friend on it, and I realized that it's been the most 'fun' I've had in a while. I ultimately made a sentence with an interlinear gloss (using some nonce words though) for them, and I felt good writing it.
I'm very glad to hear it!
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 Writing words for *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u is starting to get tricky, because I don't really know what words to add that don't make the vocabulary advanced-beyond-reconstruction, but there's still gaps here and there, so I have to think hard on this. It might even be useful to start making more definite rules as to compounding or derivation now, but I still want to add a few words here and there.
That's a good point. If you'd be open to it, maybe you could temporarily switch to coining vocabulary for some of its descendants?
qwed117 wrote: 07 Dec 2020 05:21 And with Sardinian, my decision to work on Sardinian comes in short bursts, so it's good for me to take that energy and try and force myself to spread it out over a month. At least that way, it's not like a thing I start and then stop and ignore for time eternal (like Sardinian Memrise lessons [:$])
Trying to spread your Sardinian-focused energy out, so to speak, sounds like a good idea to me. Best of luck!
I remember reading that even a comprehensive grammar of Cantonese was nonexistent until recently, I don't quite remember where, so I don't suspect there's very good resources on the languages I want to integrate into it. I'll have to look someday, although I'm not too hopeful. Maybe if I'm lucky I might be able to get my hands on Ostapirat's reconstructions and work in Hlai, and use those too. (Right now I'm relying almost completely on Norquest-which I do generally like).

With *S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u, I have been coining words in the descendants, although I only just recently got to a level of diachronic change in the first descendant that I'm comfortable with. I actually made a large table of all the possible declensional results of athematic stems earlier this month I believe (I would have to check later), but I'm also trying to work a little bit more with the grammar, and also think about sound changes outside of the relatively limited gamut I'm used to.
Last edited by qwed117 on 02 Jan 2021 00:46, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Day 8:
Maillys: LLyubhaić-Ćá "Tea (drink)"
Note: Ćá is a Fuheko loan word of Kanic origin, for the tea plant. While most words for tea have Fuhean origin (Cogućá "black tea leaves" Ćájó "fresh tea leaves") the drink, and also tomorrow's word have native modifiers- the Maill tried to import cacao, but given that it could only be grown in the southwest portion of their territory, it was replaced by tea, and the drink was named after what it replaced culturally.
Momṭẓʿālemeōm: Tleopāch "Cacao"
Last edited by Shemtov on 08 Dec 2020 13:30, edited 2 times in total.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 8th - Yélian

ʻamièda [ʔɐˈmɪ̯ɛdɐ] - to mix, blend (food, smoothies, cocktails)
Etymology: from Caelian hamnyed "blend, mixer, to mix, to blend, mixed"; distant cognate to amera "to blend, merge"

USAGE NOTES: Both amera and ʻamièda are interchangable in most contexts regarding food, but the latter is considered a more "fancy" word. For non-food related contexts, amera is significantly more prevalent.

glútanor [ˈgluːtɐnɔ̈d̟] - barkeeper, bartender
Etymology: glutan "bar" + occupation suffix -anor.

cocktail [ˈkɔ̈taɪ̯l] - cocktail
Etymology: borrowed from English cocktail. In the Kingdom standard, the alternative spelling còtail is permitted as well.

Yityadefai Pato can glútanor o'pralet u pèrepem. Te vutret, te ʻamièdet u'cocktailafirenatan.
[ɕɨt͡ʃɐˈdeːɸaɪ̯ ˈpaːtɔ̈ kɐn ˈgluːtɐnɔ̈d̟ ɔ̈ˈpɾaːlət u ˈpɛrəpəm | te ˈvutrət, te ʔɐˈmɪ̯ɛdət ʉˈkɔ̈taɪ̯lɐˌɸiːɾənɐtɐn]
PST-POT-hire-1SG PROP for barkeeper DEF.GEN=party TEMP weekend | 3SG.MASC INT, 3SG.MASC mix-3SG DEF.INAN=cocktail-good.SUP-PL
I could hire Peter as a barkeeper for the party next weekend. He really mixes the best cocktails.

Bonus words :esp:

barman [barman] - barkeeper, bartender
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

8m Lexembr
ovrar /oˈvrar/ [ʊˈvʀɑː] to function, work correctly, proceed without problems; also to behave, follow procedure, do as told
< from Old Boral ovrar "to work, to function, to labour", from both of Latin operō and operor "I work" (see also ouvr "work, act, deed, labour", from the corresponding noun opus, opera "work"). The “toil, labour” sense had by the Middle Boral period been displaced by laurar < labōrō and, briefly, trevaglar < Vulgar Latin tripaliō (now obsolete). In the sense of "to follow etiquette or instruction" (that is, as applied to people), the word is attested from the seventeenth century.

Veg alcot jo dig a mell'ivan d’ovrar, il voun un regul trovar a rompr.

However much I tell my kids to behave, they find some rule to break.

/ˈvi aˈgɔt ʒo ˈdaj a ˌme.liˈvan oˈvrar | ɪl ˈvun ɪn reˈgɪl troˈvar a ˈrɔm.pr̩/
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Lexember 8:

CBKSG <jestom> /'jes.tom/ v = to become green

Etymology: The last of the verbalisers, the second dynamic verbaliser aka VBZ2! It has more passive semantics than VBZ1, <ma>; the dummy verb it derived from originally meant “to take”. With colours it usually means “to become/turn colour X”.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

8 lexembre - Iluhsa

I focused more on grammar/phonology than vocabulary today, but I did add two words:

amuþu [ˈamuθu] n - man (irregular stem: amtéd-; < amətto, amətəd)
kòubza [ˈkɔu̯bza] n/adj - (familial) love (< kaubza)

Amtédox koubzar mama.
[amˈtedox kou̯bˈzar ˈmama]
amtéd-òx kòubza=r mam-a
man-GEN love=COP mother-ERG

The man loves his mother.

The new aspect of grammar is that predicative possession is expressed with different forms than those used for attributive possession. Attributive constructions use the genitive case. Predicative clauses follow a "possessum is to possessor"-type pattern, but the case used for the possessor varies. Nominal possessors take the ergative case, while pronominal possessors take the dative. My example sentence above demonstrates the ergative possessor; it literally translates as "The man's love is to the mother" or "The mother has the man's love". To translate "The man loves her", one would use a dative pronoun, like below:

Amtédox koubzarmo.
[amˈtedox kou̯bˈzarmo]
amtéd-òx kòubza=r=m-òu
man-GEN love=COP=3S-DAT

The man loves her.

On the phonology front, I'm instituting a different system of stress assignment. It's simplest to describe with a mixture of syllables and morae: In words of at least three syllables, stress falls on the syllable containing the antepenultimate mora. In words of two syllables or fewer, stress falls on the syllable containing the penultimate mora. The general effect is that stress can be pulled to the right by heavy syllables. For example, the dative form of amuþu is amtido [ˈamtido], with antepenultimate stress; meanwhile the genitive is amtédox [amˈtedox], with the the final consonant coda causing stress to shift to the penult.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 8

Gán Vẽi (Entry 8):

vóu /vow˩˧/ (animate)
Noun:
1. rain, rainstorm
2. raindrop
3. raincloud
4. rainy day, rainy weather
vóu /vow˩˧/ (comparative vóu ma /vow˩˧ ma˧/)
Adjective:
1. rainy
2. dreary, gloomy, overcast
3. falling in a manner similar to rain
vóu /vow˩˧/ (causative xā vóu /ɕa˥ vow˩˧/)
Verb:
1. to rain
2. to fall in a manner similar to rain

Etymology
From Old TBD p·bôuh "to rain; rain", from Proto-TBD *pɤ "from, out, off, of" + *bow "sky, heaven" + *zii "to wash, to rinse".

Example sentence:
Vóu mãu ná nha vǐ hō.
/vow˩˧ maw˧˩ na˩˧ ɲa˧ vi˧˨˧ ho˥/
[ʋɔw˩˧ mɑw˧˩ n̪aː˩˧ ɲaː˧ ʋiː˧˨˧ ɦoː˥]
vóu mãu ná nha vǐ=hō
rain at 1s soft seem=DIR
I like the rain.

Thedish (Entry 8):

daw /ˈdaʊ̯/ (plural daus /ˈdaʊ̯s/)
Noun:
1. dew; droplets of moisture settling on plants in the morning
2. a particular droplet of such moisture
3. any moisture, condensation
4. (rare) humidity
5. (poetic) shower, drizzle, light rain
6. (poetic) blood
7. (poetic) tear, tears
8. (humorous, informal) sweat
9. (rare) wet ground, waterlogged terrain
10. (poetic) morning, dawn
11. (poetic) ichor, elixir of life

Alternative forms
dawe, dauw, daew, daaw
Etymology
From Old Thedish dāuw, from Proto-Germanic *dawwaz or *dawwą. Compare English dew, Plautdietsch Deiw, Dutch dauw.
Usage notes
daw is typically uncountable, but the plural daus may be used with Sense 2 in mind. Rarely, some of the poetic senses may be treated as countable as well, particularly Senses 5 and 10.

blest /ˈblɛst/ (plural blests /ˈblɛsts/)
Noun:
1. light wind, gentle wind, breeze
2. puff of air, the act of blowing, breath
3. draft, airflow
4. gust, a sudden wind

Etymology
From Old Thedish blǣst, from Proto-Germanic *blēstuz. Compare English blast, Icelandic blástur.

Example sentence:
Midwhyl in de ryzemorn walkend, does y de bleast filing en de frish daw an de grass ruking love.
/ˈmɪdˌhwʌɪ̯l ɪn də ˈrʌɪ̯zˌmɔrn ˈwalkənd | duːs ʌɪ̯ də ˈblɛːst ˈfiːlɪŋ ɛn də ˈfrɪʃ ˈdaʊ̯ an də ˈgras ˈryːkɪŋ ˈloːv/
[ˈmɪdˌwʌɪ̯l‿ɨ̃n‿nə ˈɾʌɪ̯zˌmɔɾn ˈwɑɫkə̃nd | dʊs‿e də ˈblɛːst̚ ˈfiːlɨ̃ŋ ə̃n‿nə ˈfɾɪʃ ˈdaʊ̯ ʔɑ̃n‿nə ˈgɾas ˈɾyːkɨ̃ŋ ˈloːv̥]
midwhyl in de ryzemorn walk-end, doe-s y de bleast file-ing en de frish daw an de grass ruke-ing love-Ø
while in DEF morning walk-PRES.PART, do.PRES-PRES 1s.NOM DEF breeze feel-GER and DEF fresh dew on DEF grass smell.PRES-GER love-S.INF
While walking in the early morning, I love feeling the breeze and smelling the fresh dew on the grass.

Last edited by zyma on 19 Dec 2020 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
(she)
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Oof, I've fallen quite a bit behind. Time to catch up! Day 8 below, days 1-7 in spoiler:

Day 8 (Alál)

kıḳaḷı /ˈkɛŋəd͡ɮɪ/
'island chain'
AGT kıḳıḷ | PAT kıḳıúḷ
Declension class I2 | Handling class saŕ
From KIḶ2 'island' and -ḳ- 'homogeneous group'.

Ṭıtkàa kıḳıúḷ hrıulìr.
bite<3.3> island.chain<PAT> blizzard<AGT>
The blizzard struck the island chain.
---
Spoiler:
Day 1

ṭìmat /ɪˈtʼemət/
'triangle (shape)'
AGT ṭìmıut | PAT ṭìmàut
Declension class NA3 | Handling class muŕ or zuŕ
From ṬIT 'tooth' and -ma- 'visual abstraction'.

--

Day 2

tsızìalı /tsɛˈʃeʕɮɪ/
'facial hair (in general)'
AGT tsızìıl | PAT tsızìıúl
Declension class I2 | Handling class huŕ
From TSIL 'hair' and -zì- 'frontwards' or 'of the face'.

--

Day 3

kaḷàh /kəˈt͡ɬɑç/
'hue, shade'
AGT kaḷíha | PAT kaḷùha
Declension class A3 | Handling class muŕ or zaŕ (as paint)
From KAH 'color' and -ḷ- 'variation'.

--

Day 4

ḳahàl /ŋəˈçɑɬ/
'mannequin'
AGT ḳahíla | PAT ḳahùla
Declension class A3 | Handling class maŕ
From ḲAL 'corpse' and -h- 'equivalent'

--

Day 5

hrâakusakıtaàs /çɾæˈɑgʉ̞zəgɪˌtʰɑs/
'Möbius strip'
AGT hrâakusakıtaísa | PAT hrâakusakıtaùsa
Declension class A3 | Handling class haŕ
From hrâaxas 'scrap of paper', -kusa- 'twisting aside', -kıta- 'curving back on oneself'

--

Day 6

zaluḷ /ˈʃɐɮʉ̞t͡ɬ/
'monkey, small ape'
AGT zalıuḷ | PAT zalàuḷ
Declension class NU2 | Handling class lıŕ
From ẒAḶ 'hand' and -lu- 'animal'.

--

Day 7

tháktam /ˈtʲʰæktəm/
'wheat field'
AGT tháktaım | PAT thâktam
Declension class NA1 | Handling class saŕ
From THAM 'wheat, grain' and -kta- 'nest'.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 8th

kui2-zha3 /kʷi˥t͡sʰa˧˩/ n. hill, mound, foothills (in plural)
ğe3 /ɰe˧˩/ n. river
pás4-ang2 /paːs˥˧˥ang˧/ v. to traverse, to travel over, to cross

*S₁ŋ̩ʲːd-o Lat-u
*keh₂djes- n. fence, net, dam

kan˩˨ n grass from Proto-Hlai *hŋənʔ 'grass' cf. Bouhin ŋən3 Tongzha kan6 Moyfaw kaŋ3

TIL that almost all of the words I've been putting for UAPsHL are all wrong because SCA2 refuses to be coöperative and instead decided that the rule [ptk]/ʔ/_(Ť)(Ť)# wouldn't work because I forgot to define Ť (tone characters). All the voiceless finals aren't supposed to be there, and a wide variety of vowel changes didn't happen (none of which affect this word). *sigh* How lovely

Sardinian
bentu nm. wind Etymon obviously Latin VENTUS, cf Aromanian vimtu, Occitan vent

Oe est bentu, est andhendhe unu bentu fritu.
Today it's windy; a cold wind is coming.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad