Rebirth on CBB: Vayardyio language preview

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Rebirth on CBB: Vayardyio language preview

Post by Yagia1 »

Vayardyio is an extra-terrestial language (a priori conang) spoken by the humanoid population in the so-called Northwestern quadrant of the Great Continent on the planet called Tolouga (in V.: meaning 'world' or 'living space'). Tolouga circles its sun in more-or-less earthlike circumstances and (mostly due to lack of imagination of its creator) its animate species look and behave quite familiar to us. Vayardyio is the mother tongue of the Vayardi people (they who inhabit the country of Vayardo). Native speakers number approx. 49 mi. It is seen as the sole representative of the Western branch within the Coumrillian language family. Two more branches of this family exist in neighbouring countries: the Northern (or ‘High’) branch, consisting of Tozurian, Chirchian and Gabilian, and the Southern branch, with Avessite, Alemnic and Silmerian. All languages show a strong lexical and syntactical relationship, whereas rather prominent differences occur in the phonology and phonetics. Vayardyio shares with the Northern branch-languages features like a fully active nominal and pronominal declension in three cases, while it still displays rare phenomena other languages have lost, such as the use of a ‘4th person’ (often called: obviative). Also, only Vayardyio retains the original five verbal moods of the Old-Coumrillian root language. Vayardyio languages history tracks back some 2000 years, dating to the westward movement of Coumrillian tribes from the northern plains even before the Classical Civilisation of Coumrillia came to full bloom. Therefore, Vayardyio lexicon displays quite a few words and meanings which differ from words in all other modern Coumrillian languages, more heavily influenced bij the Classical Coumrillian speech.
Vayardyio is a typical SOV-language, in which fronting constituents to the 'left' (head) of the sentence marks topicalization. Typically, negation is expressed by fronting the verb, preceded only by the general negation marker . The language is inflecting, according to regular patterns: declension of nouns and pronouns, conjugation of verbs, on a nominative-accusative basis. Verbs show five moods and display active and passive voice; nouns are distinguished by gender: -o class (male), -a class (female) while -o class being the default type. An earlier gender distinction in animate - inanimate has left only some remote traces in the language.

Although being a SOV-language in which the verb as a rule is sentence-final, Vayardyio uses prepositions in stead of postpositions, while modifiers generally preceed their heads in an apparent violation of the well-known language universals.

Curious, anyone? to be continued...
conlang: Vayardyio.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou dicronésara !

native: :nld: fluent: :eng: :fra: :deu: can read: :ita: :esp:
Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Vayardyio, continued

Post by Yagia1 »

Vayardyio possesses an elaborate lexicon (over 20.000 words and counting), all neatly put together in a dictionary which (unfortunately for most of you...) translates into Dutch. Although morphology and syntaxis have a IE-language feel, there are no roots in existing natlangs. Grammar is well described too (also in Dutch but with some encouragement I will post excerpts with descriptions in English) In the meantime, check the wiki link below. Some items are a bit outdated, but you'll get the picture.

It has a conscript. Need some time to figure out how to post this here. And of course I worked on the conworld too...

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Rebirth on CBB: Vayardyio language preview

Post by Khemehekis »

I always had a lot of fun reading about Vayardyio (even if you said the idioms were the hardest part to create!), and I'm glad you're back posting about it. The best part was that you created the word yimégo after my screenname! Hee hee hee.

If you have a FrathWiki account, be sure to add it to the list at https://www.frathwiki.com/Conlangs_with ... ,000_words !
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I see you now have a FrathWiki userpage! Very nice! Oldskool conlanger!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Yagia1 »

Well - I finally completed the first (and major) part of my Vayaryio language description. You can read all about it following this link.
Vayardyio is a language I've been working on for many years now. See older posts in this thread. Some friends here on the CBB encouraged me to press on, so I will also be posting in the Conlang Census thread.
The second part of my descriptive book will be published in a while - some issues on lexicon and translation still have to be fixed.

I realized lately that I over-estimated my vocabulary up till now; I kind of bragged about being over 20.000 words, this is not true. Anyway, 10.000 words will do nicely, IMO.

So curious about your feedback here on the CBB!

Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Nice, you have devoted much effort to your lang. I'm a bit envious.

Some comments on grammar discourse that make it more readable, which is not to say anything be wrong with the grammar.

- I think most modern reference grammars collapse the categories you call Word and Morphology. So, the category of Noun includes definition, morphology and NP formation. (People disagree on this.)

- Metatexts
"The world classes are Nouns, Verbs, ... Their functions are quite similar to those of the corresponding categories in SAE languages."
- "Verbs are inflected for aspect ... The nonfinite verbforms are Infinitive, Gerundive ..."
Now, one has to read forward to see what is gonna appear.

- In your table of consonant phonemes you have a third velar plosive. Is it in a wrong place?
- "The inventory is straightforward with almost no aspiration." Are you to say the voiceless stops are not aspirated?

But as I said above, this is a very well written grammar. You have even described all the adverbs.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Yagia1 »

Hi Omzinesý ! Thanx so much for your post!
you have devoted much effort to your lang. I'm a bit envious
I'm glad to hear that. True: it did taken some time [:D]

Thanxk you also for your remarks! Two replies perhaps 1) I'm a native Dutch speaker and perhaps my writing is a bit clumsy - it would be more fluent if Dutch were the standard academical language on this globe... 2) I'm an autodidact, although I devoured lots of books and texts, I still get lost sometimes in linguistical intricacies... Anyway, you got the picture. I strive to improve. Will go over the forthcoming Part II.
In your table of consonant phonemes you have a third velar plosive. Is it in a wrong place?
As I said... autodidact... [O.O] I guess the /γ/ is wrong here, should be fricative of course.

To be continued!