Gallo-Tuscan

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Re: Gallo-Tuscan

Post by All4Ɇn »

I'm currently working on adjectives before nouns and I've run into a bit of a conundrum. Before "impure s" there are currently two groups of adjectives:
1. Those add an epenthetic /o/ in the masculine singular form & an /i/ in the plural of both genders
2. Those that an /i/ in all 3 of these forms (4 if the feminine singular doesn't end in -a)

The masculine singular for group 1 is the easiest to indicate orthographically:
Bòno psichiatter /ˌbon‿opsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (good psychiatrist)

I'm struggling with how to indicate the forms that add /i/. Right now I can think of 3 options:
1. Write it as <i> in the singular and <ie> in the plural e.g: grandi psichiatter & grandie psichiattere /ŋrɑ̃d‿ipsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (tall psychiatrist/psychiatrists)
2. Write it separately/hyphenated: grand i psichiatter & grande i psichiattere
3. Don't write it at all and have it be inferred by the context: grand psichiatter & grande psichiattere

What do you guys think?
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 07 May 2021 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
VaptuantaDoi
sinic
sinic

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

All4Ɇn wrote: 24 Apr 2021 07:54 I'm currently working on adjectives before nouns and I've run into a bit of a conundrum. Before "impure s" there are currently two groups of adjectives:
1. Those add an epenthetic /o/ in the masculine singular form & an /i/ in the plural of both genders
2. Those that an /i/ in all 3 of these forms (4 if the feminine singular doesn't end in -a)

The masculine singular for group 1 is the easiest to indicate orthographically:
Bòno psichiatter /bɔn‿opsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (good psychiatrist)

I'm struggling with how to indicate the forms that add /i/. Right now I can think of 3 options:
1. Write it as <i> in the singular and <ie> in the plural e.g: grandi psichiatter & grandie psichiattere /ŋrɑ̃d‿ipsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (tall psychiatrist/psychiatrists)
2. Write it separately/hyphenated: grand i psichiatter & grande i psichiattere
3. Don't write it at all and have it be inferred by the context: grand psichiatter & grande psichiattere

What do you guys think?
I like the second option, having a meaningless epenthetic vowel written as a separate word appeals to me.

Also I haven't replied to this thread before, but Gallo-Tuscan is a really cool and distinctive romlang [:D]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 24 Apr 2021 09:53I like the second option, having a meaningless epenthetic vowel written as a separate word appeals to me.

Also I haven't replied to this thread before, but Gallo-Tuscan is a really cool and distinctive romlang [:D]
Glad to know you like it :). If I did do the second one it would probably be written as <ì> to avoid confusion with the definite article e.g: i grande ì psichiattere
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Adjective Irregularities
Adjectives before impure s
All adjectives that end in a consonant, consonant followed by a silent e, or a nasal vowel and are directly in front of a noun starting with one of the "impure consonants" are followed by the euphonic particle ì, which is phonetically attached to the noun, e.g: il grand ì psichiatter /il ŋrɑ̃d‿ipsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (the tall psychiatrist). This rule applies to all and can be assumed for all adjectives except in the masculine singular form for those adjectives below which irregularly add an -o in this form specifically before impure consonants.

Regular adjectives that add -o
The following adjectives are entirely regular group 1 adjectives but still add the ending -o in the masculine singular form before nouns starting with /t͡s d͡z ɲ ʎ/, consonant clusters starting with /s/, and a number of other complex consonant clusters including many from Greek loans such as /ks ps pn pt/
1. Lóng- Long
2. Stesse- Same
3. Vècie- Old
4. All superlatives ending in -issime (e.g: grandissime)
5. The irregular superlatives, i.e: infime, massime, minime, ottime, pessime, some, supreme

Bel- Great/Nice/Beautiful
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Bel/Bello
Feminine singular: Bella/Bell'
Masculine plural: Béglie/Bei
Feminine plural: Beglie/Bei
-Bell' is used before nouns starting with a vowel
-Bello and Bei are used before /t͡s d͡z ɲ ʎ/, consonant clusters starting with /s/, and a number of other complex consonant clusters including many from Greek loans such as /ks ps pn pt/
Bon- Good
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Bon/Bon'/Bòno
Feminine singular: Bona/Bon'
Masculine plural: Bone
Feminine plural: Bòne
-Bon' is used before nouns starting with a vowel
-Bòno is used before /t͡s d͡z ɲ ʎ/, consonant clusters starting with /s/, and a number of other complex consonant clusters including many from Greek loans such as /ks ps pn pt/
Brau- Good/Skillful
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Brau/Brav'
Feminine singular: Brava/Brav'
Masculine plural: Brave
Feminine plural: Brave
-Brav' is used used before nouns starting with a vowel
Grand- Big/Tall/Large/Great
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Grand/Gran
Feminine singular: Granda/Gran/Grand'
Masculine plural: Grande
Feminine plural: Grande
-Gran is used for masculine nouns when directly before a noun starting with a consonant. Before a noun starting with an impure consonant grand ì is always used
-Gran is optionally used for feminine nouns when directly before a noun starting with a consonant. It can typically be replaced with granda but in some expressions can't be substituted such as Gran Bretagna (Great Britain). Before a noun starting with an impure consonant granda is always used
-Grand' is used before nouns starting with a vowel
Mal- Evil
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Mal/Malo
Feminine singular: Mala/Mal'
Masculine plural: Male
Feminine plural: Male
-Mal' is used before nouns starting with a vowel
-Malo is used before /t͡s d͡z ɲ ʎ/, consonant clusters starting with /s/, and a number of other complex consonant clusters including many from Greek loans such as /ks ps pn pt/
-Mal as an adjective means evil. The adjective meaning bad is frazì
Nòve- New
Spoiler:
Masculine singular: Nòve/Nov'/Nòvo
Feminine singular: Nòva/Nov'
Masculine plural: Nove
Feminine plural: Nòve
-Nov' is used nouns starting with a vowel
-Nòvo is used before /t͡s d͡z ɲ ʎ/, consonant clusters starting with /s/, and a number of other complex consonant clusters including many from Greek loans such as /ks ps pn pt/
Pronunciation of unstressed monosyllabic adjectives before nouns
All single syllable adjectives are typically pronounced as secondarily stressed clitics directly before a noun, causing /ɛ ɔ ɛ̃ ɔ̃/ to be pronounced as /e o ẽ õ/. This change is only indicated orthographically in the forms bon' and nov' but applies to all adjectives, i.e: i nòve boteche /i ˌnov‿boˈθeh/ (the new stores) & il bòno psichiatter /il ˌbon‿opsiˈkjɑteɾ/ (the good psychiatrist)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Not sure what topic to cover next so I thought I'd ask if there's anything anyone wants to see in particular. I could cover other determiners, verbs, pronouns, maybe vocabulary. If there's something else anyone is interested in I could also cover that.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I vote for pronouns and after that, verbs! [:D]
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Multi-clausal constructions.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

ixals wrote: 16 May 2021 22:22 I vote for pronouns and after that, verbs! [:D]
I can definitely do this soon if not next :)
eldin raigmore wrote: 17 May 2021 03:29 Multi-clausal constructions.
Thank you for reminding me of this. I actually haven’t started this element yet so I have so work to do