CBB Conlang Relay XIV - IT BEGINS (late signups accepted)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XIV - IT BEGINS (late signups accepted)

Post by Lorik »

Torch received!
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Iyionaku wrote: 01 Dec 2021 08:05 Torch passed to I Lorik!

@Jackk: I will send you the English translation later today, I have it on another PC.
Torch and English received :)

Word Counts:
Ring 1:
> English [118 words] > Cambresc [135 words]
> English [136 words] > Waľavaľwa [85 words]
> English [121 words] > Middle Chiñ [146 words]
> English [123 words] > Ghoni [88 words]
> English [132 words] > Asta [76 words]
> English [129 words] > Élouvien [144 words]
> English [259 words] > tɐ́lʒrə̬k [110 words]
> English [174 words] > Atruozan [134 words]
> English [156 words] > Atili [100 words]

Ring 2:
> English [145 words] > Osroene [147 words]
> English [160 words] > Alál [85 words]
> English [143 words] > Corcyran [139 words]
> English [138 words] > Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar [162 words]
> English [144 words] > Añoþnın [101 words]
> English [138 words] > Zherdun [163 words]
> English [146 words] > Wama [129 words]
> English [126 words] > Camnorese [92 words]
> English [124 words] > Paatherye [104 words]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Torch sent to Azunite and torch + English translation sent to Jackk!
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Sorry for the double post, but could you please tell me if you've received my messages? It seems like my PMs are getting stuck in my outbox.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I Lorik wrote: 02 Dec 2021 10:13 Sorry for the double post, but could you please tell me if you've received my messages? It seems like my PMs are getting stuck in my outbox.
The PMs in this board are kept in your outbox until the recipients log on for the next time. Only then they are transmitted. From your side it's all good.

However, Azunite has not logged on since Nov 4th, so I suggest we wait one more day. If the message is still stuck in your outbox by then, you just skip him and send the torch to Jackk.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Iyionaku wrote: 02 Dec 2021 11:29 However, Azunite has not logged on since Nov 4th, so I suggest we wait one more day. If the message is still stuck in your outbox by then, you just skip him and send the torch to Jackk.
There's probably no benefit to preëmptively calling ring 2 until ring 1's torch is sent to its final recipient.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Iyionaku wrote: 02 Dec 2021 11:29 The PMs in this board are kept in your outbox until the recipients log on for the next time. Only then they are transmitted. From your side it's all good.
Oh, I see! I thought it was a problem on my end. Thanks for the explanation!
Mándinrùh wrote: 02 Dec 2021 11:52 There's probably no benefit to preëmptively calling ring 2 until ring 1's torch is sent to its final recipient.
Agreed. While I'm pretty sure Azunite won't show up, we can't even post Ring 2's results without Ring 1 being finished as well, so I think it's best we give Azunite some time to show up and participate.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Torch received from I Lorik.
Yeah, waiting for the rings to sync up seems like a reasonable idea—I'll ping Azunite again here just in case.

On the other side, @Salmoneus, any updates on your progress with the torch?

Word Counts:
Ring 1:
> English [136 words] > Waľavaľwa [85 words]
> English [121 words] > Middle Chiñ [146 words]
> English [123 words] > Ghoni [88 words]
> English [132 words] > Asta [76 words]
> English [129 words] > Élouvien [144 words]
> English [259 words] > tɐ́lʒrə̬k [110 words]
> English [174 words] > Atruozan [134 words]
> English [156 words] > Atili [100 words]

Ring 2:
> English [145 words] > Osroene [147 words]
> English [160 words] > Alál [85 words]
> English [143 words] > Corcyran [139 words]
> English [138 words] > Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar [162 words]
> English [144 words] > Añoþnın [101 words]
> English [138 words] > Zherdun [163 words]
> English [146 words] > Wama [129 words]
> English [126 words] > Camnorese [92 words]
> English [124 words] > Paatherye [104 words]
> English [123 words] > Lohdan [96 words]

Azunite wrote: 07 Sep 2021 22:27
Salmoneus wrote: 07 Sep 2021 16:41
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

For the sake of time, I’ll pull out of this relay. That way ring one can just end when Salmoneus is finished with their torch. Lexember is using up enough of my time. I’ll catch the next relay.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Jackk wrote: 02 Dec 2021 15:25
On the other side, @Salmoneus, any updates on your progress with the torch?
I'm terribly sorry, everybody! Once I'd initially run out of steam, I then got waylaid by other things I had to do.

The good news: I've translated out of Atili (give or take checking that one word is a typo). I also should have some time to devote to this in the oncoming days. I'm hoping to get it translated into Old Wenthish tomorrow.

The bad news: I might not get it translated until Monday, and then I'm not sure how long it will take to edit together a torch - hopefully not long (I hope to reuse a lot of what I wrote last year), but I don't have much experience of this. So... I'm going to say it'll be done not before Tuesday, hopefully not after Thursday?

Other bad news: it's not going to be an entirely coherent story, I don't think...

Sorry for messing it up for everybody; as I said earlier, I think I underestimated (on the basis of quite a different experience last year) how much energy (and concentration) this might take.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

spanick wrote: 02 Dec 2021 18:18 For the sake of time, I’ll pull out of this relay. That way ring one can just end when Salmoneus is finished with their torch. Lexember is using up enough of my time. I’ll catch the next relay.
Oh, I'm really sorry! [not just for messing up your plans, but also selfishly because I thought it might be rather fun to have two germanic languages in a row...]. I hope you change your mind - as I say above, I'm hopeful that it'll just be a few more days.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Salmoneus wrote: 04 Dec 2021 20:55 Oh, I'm really sorry! [not just for messing up your plans, but also selfishly because I thought it might be rather fun to have two germanic languages in a row...]. I hope you change your mind - as I say above, I'm hopeful that it'll just be a few more days.
No need to apologize. If you are able to get it done this week, I might have the time to do my torch. My students will be taking their final exams, so I’ll be a lot less busy. I’m also interested to see two Germanic languages in a row. I’ve always enjoyed Old Wenthish on a conceptual and aesthetic level. I just thought I’d pull out so the Ring 2 folks wouldn’t have to wait so long. But if they’re still going, I’m still interested.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Jackk wrote: 02 Dec 2021 15:25 Torch received from I Lorik.
Yeah, waiting for the rings to sync up seems like a reasonable idea—I'll ping Azunite again here just in case.
I think it's safe to say now that Azunite is not returning.
Keep in mind that in the end you'll have to do two translations at once, so I guess it makes sense that you start wrapping up one ring already (without publishing it of course), and then you are free for the other ring whenever it's done.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

*sigh*
You may have noticed, I did not finish it that week.

The current status is that I've translated it, and written out a glossary, but have not yet finished the grammar notes necessary. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long now, but I know I said that before, so...
Acipencer
sinic
sinic

Post by Acipencer »

Salmoneus wrote: 13 Dec 2021 03:23 *sigh*
You may have noticed, I did not finish it that week.

The current status is that I've translated it, and written out a glossary, but have not yet finished the grammar notes necessary. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long now, but I know I said that before, so...
Any news?
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Unfortunately this week was a bit hectic - with christmas and a global pandemic both lurking, things have been in more disarray than usual. I did have a lot of free time on Tuesday... but I spent it all standing in a queue to get re-vaccinated.

Good news is, I haven't set it aside, I have consistently been working on it throughout the week. Bad news is that it's not done yet. [I got distracted when I ran into an issue that I realised needed to be fixed in the language, which took a bit of research - the downside of a posteriori conlangs...].

But I am working on it literally as I speak, and remain hopeful that it'll be done this weekend.

Apologies yet again for being so awful at this, and congratulations to everybody who somehow managed to do all this in a day or two...
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

A Christmas Miracle! I think I'm finished!

I assume spanick's no longer interested and I should pass it directly to Jack?

If so, what do I do about the English translation - it seems to be cheating to send my English translation directly to them, if they're translating my text. Should I not send it, and then just reveal my English translation afterward? Or should I send it in a different file/PM?

And yes, once more and finally, I'm really sorry to have screwed this game up for everybody. I attribute this to, in order:
- my failure to understand Mandinruh's text (I mostly understood his well-presented* notes in theory, I just found the language hard to work with and the meaning of the apparent text rather confusing)
- my losing heart and steam nad putting it aside for a bit as a result
- RL things being more hectic than expected
- some difficulties in putting together the grammar notes
- everything ending up running into the Christmas period, which was itself more hectic and confusing than expected (thanks covid).

Sorry about all this.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 27 Dec 2021 00:30 A Christmas Miracle! I think I'm finished!

I assume spanick's no longer interested and I should pass it directly to Jack?

If so, what do I do about the English translation - it seems to be cheating to send my English translation directly to them, if they're translating my text. Should I not send it, and then just reveal my English translation afterward? Or should I send it in a different file/PM?

And yes, once more and finally, I'm really sorry to have screwed this game up for everybody. I attribute this to, in order:
- my failure to understand Mandinruh's text (I mostly understood his well-presented* notes in theory, I just found the language hard to work with and the meaning of the apparent text rather confusing)
- my losing heart and steam nad putting it aside for a bit as a result
- RL things being more hectic than expected
- some difficulties in putting together the grammar notes
- everything ending up running into the Christmas period, which was itself more hectic and confusing than expected (thanks covid).

Sorry about all this.
Woohoo! [:D] Yeah I think in the past we've just had the English sent in a different PM which I promise not to peek at :)
It'll be nice to be done in 2021 at least haha, and all's well that ends well [:)]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Backstroke_Italics
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Backstroke_Italics »

Does that mean it's done?!? I am so excited to see the results!
I did it. I made the world's worst book blog.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Backstroke_Italics wrote: 01 Jan 2022 02:25 Does that mean it's done?!? I am so excited to see the results!
Assuming I get Sal's PMs it'll be done on Monday when I get back from holiday in Scotland [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug