CBB Conlang Relay XIV - IT BEGINS (late signups accepted)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XIV - IT BEGINS (late signups accepted)

Post by Iyionaku »

Any updates?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Iyionaku wrote: 05 Jan 2022 07:01Any updates?
The final summary will be out later today [:D] Time for the very last wordcount summary:

Word counts
Ring 1:
> English [118 words] > Cambresc [135 words]
> English [136 words] > Waľavaľwa [85 words]
> English [121 words] > Middle Chiñ [146 words]
> English [123 words] > Ghoni [88 words]
> English [132 words] > Asta [76 words]
> English [129 words] > Élouvien [144 words]
> English [259 words] > tɐ́lʒrə̬k [110 words]
> English [174 words] > Atruozan [134 words]
> English [156 words] > Atili [100 words]
> English [??? words] > Old Wenthish [208 words]

Ring 2:
> English [118 words] > Cambresc [135 words]
> English [145 words] > Osroene [147 words]
> English [160 words] > Alál [85 words]
> English [143 words] > Corcyran [139 words]
> English [138 words] > Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar [162 words]
> English [144 words] > Añoþnın [101 words]
> English [138 words] > Zherdun [163 words]
> English [146 words] > Wama [129 words]
> English [126 words] > Camnorese [92 words]
> English [124 words] > Paatherye [104 words]
> English [123 words] > Lohdan [96 words]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Ring 1

Original English:
The noblewoman knows she's missed the morning ferry the moment she steps off the bus and inhales the smoke-sea air of the bustling town. Well—the ferry is technically still at port, but the queues for stamps and signatures and "What is the purpose of your trip?" are empty of the usual bonneted holidaymakers and bored businessmen. No doubt they'll have unmoored before her manservant can collect her luggage and ticket.

"Do you suppose we merit a sea-front hotel?" she asks him. Her ability to use this foreign land's language is improving, at least, although the local variety is still occasionally incomprehensible.

"I would suggest the Chandler House, my lady," says the shortish, harried-looking man at her side.
Final English:
There was a priestess in the olden days, before the world was destroyed in fire, who one day was stood on my beach in the morning wind.

"Moo!" A big beast came and ran to the jetty, bellowing; a guard stood at their ship, moving over to another sailboat from where the priestess had been hunting the beast. It climbed down as the wind blew along the ground and roared, its attention grabbed by the boat's flag—what pointless vanity!

The priestess didn't understand why it galloped and why it thought ill of them. She asked the beast, "Where are you galloping off to?"

The beast came galloping onto the priestess' beach where the family had aliighted from their boat and come ashore. It bellowed once more out of boredom.

The priestess said: "This jetty was a place of death, a corpse's pyre."

Feeling angry, the abbot touched his face and noticed that he had been crying.

When all is said and done, remember to beware the animal that has not yet come to act against you.
In stages:
Spoiler:

Jackk
The noblewoman knows she's missed the morning ferry the moment she steps off the bus and inhales the smoke-sea air of the bustling town. Well—the ferry is technically still at port, but the queues for stamps and signatures and "What is the purpose of your trip?" are empty of the usual bonneted holidaymakers and bored businessmen. No doubt they'll have unmoored before her manservant can collect her luggage and ticket.

"Do you suppose we merit a sea-front hotel?" she asks him. Her ability to use this foreign land's language is improving, at least, although the local variety is still occasionally incomprehensible.

"I would suggest the Chandler House, my lady," says the shortish, harried-looking man at her side.
Doω'r vonheðiges yn gał na sy'n kyrhaeð keυbal y bore gyda'i greυd hi ðiskyn o'r veg ag anadlυ awel vωgled-vorled y drew rυthredig. Weł—a łymder mae'r keυbal yn arhos ωrth y lanva, ond yn y clorened gan gatωmoeð a łoωnoðjon ag "I bυn amcan greωh whi alwad?" nid oes dim o'r taithwir divyrrωh gan voned a masnawhir gan ðivlastod sy'n arverol. Heb os mae'r long am ðadangori kyn gał ei qυhanga hi bentωrrυ'i chynhωsyðjon a thomfei hi.

"Ne dybjωh whi'n bod ni'n haeðυ tavarn lan y mor?" iðo'r govyn hi. Gυeła'r mae ei rhυglinab hi gyda jeith y lad dramor hon, o lejaw, ato heb ðal am y łaveryð vikin ni'w vod o ðim yn drysυ hi'n lwir ac ehlysur.

"Jωh yr rhoωn i ðewiso'r Ty Canhwiłωr, eih υrðas," eb y dyn byrreg a thrałodυs yn debyg ωrth ei glan.
protondonor
The lady, realizing that she can reach the morning ferry, gets off the bus and breathes the cloudy marine air of the bustling district. Well, precisely then, a ferry stops at the dock, but there were no lines of people with seals and "To what aim are you making a trip?" by the travelers with bonnets and businessmen with looks of disgust that were customary. Certainly, the ship will leave port before her manservant can collect her luggage and her ticket.

"Do you think we don't deserve the Seaside Hotel?" she asks. She is improving her fluency with this foreign country's speech, at least, not to say that the local dialect doesn't occasionally utterly baffle her.

"To you I offer that you choose the Chandler House," said the shortish man harriedly, similarly standing by the shore.
Tawáva arúŋa ta wàtay qamlaʼu taľijepí twaleca, ra amuzìʼubayla patáʼzuku ra ayarí ala mazan cùni yakabáli ricàŋa kubeluv. Ruzíva rijepí ritálu vaʼu urmacavawaŋaʼu, inìnilup qavaʼuʼ kili yaŋarúp raʼapáŋiva page ľayŋalúpyup ranúw ra miŋgilámip rabíŋlap ľiʼzìmwali talepalev "Rimùzila li paŋqar?". Izimaluʼu ŋadrwa tawáy mùzilatwaju pacáʼuʼiani pagin ľayŋarúzi ya wàtayva wamaʼu aʼívava ya ra paca ya.

"Ki jawaymáyľiŋ wa jaway cacaʼu Twacáca Wayká Yamázan?" atáma. Atádruŋmavazir palaŋwaʼu wa ayini tucutí, tu ľayízima tàŋa ŋway jaj tujáyvala a.

"Rila, madavaletáw Jadriviŋgidaŋgi Tanláduva," ľaygaľat jileki apálezilay, zizámi qavaʼu aráŋla.
loglorn
The lady realized she could make it for the morning ferry and went away from the bus, breathing the cloud of sea breeze of the overly packed city. And right then the ferry arrived, but nothing managed to happen as she stood among the lines of people with seals as the travelevers with hlung hats and businesspeople with sulky expressions never asked "why move". The ship would surely leave the port towards the shore before her servant could collect her luggage and her ticket.

"Would you like to stay at the Seashore Hotel?" they asked. She was getting better at speaking the foreign language but valywa often annoyed her thoroughly.

"You! Choose the Chandler Inn", said the short man, also standing.
Rùch nã à' hyõng nhõôm ând hā kã wa' kmã heâ, pè' xâ'ngxā'ng hā xõn hā hùà mngââ kį ko tetrù't múu nã ex pak à' wa' prong niéx. Pe' tù nhek nã rholh hā kã įnnâ', kù à' ò byang làxlàx nã lùlùát à' yânhã à' iàtátmã ngòù yè lháphàp wa' toyá' âān wa' hãsúkré' âān à' ngò mngátmã ni mmã yè yā "mōnh nií tī muk n niéx" byang dyálhdyàlh 'ò. Áhtwì nìy pak ex hā ixméo' yà'éa ko yeéââ xóóniy ko niéx nã à' nù'átmã nã mnhmií ând hā ppá'pakátmã rhaí o'átmã ko hmè'.

"Wùsàwùsà nìy à' hyõng yā lùàt nãã yā Lhaáéxlùàt Xóóniy heâ?" nã dyalh à' nù' nmé'. Mõnh ã pangpángsé mã à' tu nhiátmã nhnîng nmé' kù Nhiaw ã poókuúm à' me'mé' lhù hmè'.

"Di nìy nhox Nhalh Ngòúàá'tum ko heâ!" nã pes à' ngo chi yè lùlùát tiám hmè'.
anonymous123
The noblewoman reached the ferry this morning and would breathe the sea breeze from the clouds as the carriage left the overcrowded city. And then suddenly the ferry arrived, but all the people were not standing in a line behind a person who wore a spidersilk robe or a bureaucratic hat, and the official’s sad face that wouldn’t ask “why did I move”. The ship shall leave the port for the shore before her servant would be able to gather their luggage and their letters.

“Would the noblewoman prefer to stay at the Shore Hotel?” asked the servant. He/She spoke in his/her own dialect, because Ghoni often annoyed him/her.

“You will choose the Chandler Inn!” said the short man who also stood there.
*téwì hârúì ɗákayâ hǎní tíru tári yáŋgéwâì tàhěyúɗuní yúŋgě títarey, á pákéy ʒyâéy kâmbátà tétréw. pèɗǔ rúprúp téwyâ ɗákayâ, pèɠǔ tí rùyǎɓá ŋèrǔp réy kíŋgwé yáy ŋèrǔì ta rǔtwàì pépaɓaɠé yǎ ŋíriŋiriké âŋ rúŋgé yǎ ŋèrǔtǔì nè, tári ŋèrǔtǔì míŋnî ʒáreyàʒǎ ta tí ʒyáwâní “nǐúmîŋ múɠin”. páɠǎéy iʒǐmyáyâ yàkekeátà âtàhěnità ŋá, pèɠǐŋ áɗayì ìdétìì ta hèɓǎp táwáì tári ɣúkeŋáwŋě.

“*ɣètâwâì hârúì ta rùyǎt Yáwrùyǎɗà yǎ tàhěnità tá?” ʒyáwì ìdétì. péì nî á, tírak kwániyàmbá pwéŋní Ɣáni á húmîŋ.

“*ndéyrǎhì Kěpéátà yǎ Ìháɗunì!” péì ŋéì níki ta tíʒam rùyǎɗíʒâì.
Frislander
The noblewoman has reached the ferry this morning and breathed in the sea breeze from the clouds as an elephant left the overcrowded city. After that, suddenly the ferry arrives, but not all the people stand in a line behind the man who is wearing clothes made of spider silk or an official’s hat, and the official bears a sad face which asks “why do I move?”. It (the elephant) will leave the ship in port toward the shore, before the servant who gathers the bags and letters is able to.

“Did the standing lady prefer the hotel on the shore?” the servant asks. She speaks a [different] language, because Ghoni is often boring to her.

“You will choose the wax chandler’s room!” a short man who is also standing there says.
wəmux wi‘ya‘ə ‘itityatriye‘ tatəssə ‘əxayaxŋiyinyəx wa ‘inuxxatrintyə nupəsə xiyəssiyəx ‘u ‘iwi‘nyatruyə nəntantren waŋin wu‘trityuxə‘ə. Maya yən wətətuxwə wəra, tatəssə tixminye‘ ‘u pa‘ yitə yassi tixriyəx ‘iwətətuxwax we‘ə ‘iwəntəntewə ‘itintrə‘ə nuŋwənasə wa ‘itexatruwempəsə wa‘masnə wa wetəsə wiya wutramini wuntəxempə xwən “ta‘ məta‘atrəx?” Niya ‘itəŋəmetyə tatəssə teŋəxu xu‘tyataxmiyəx təŋəmitrə‘ xitə‘ənnun ‘iwiŋityax witə ‘ityuŋəntuntuwənyixə tya‘xwə wa sepi‘intə.

Xwən “xə taŋa xitə‘ənnunyəx ‘iwussərən wəmux wa‘rə‘ə?” witə wuntə‘ə. ‘i‘astə‘ə ‘u‘xwe wa ‘astə‘ə ‘iya ‘iwərityatra.

Xwən “rintuxuyə ‘ituyuyən witə‘ənnix!” we‘ə watri‘ə wa‘rə‘əre‘.
dendana
An old woman came here on a boat at dawn and breathed in the wind by the sea, but an elephant left the city. Then, following her, a boat appeared here. But on it, disorderly people with a flag were following a man who was wearing a spider web and the headdress of the crew, and this sad-faced captain thought, “What are we waving at?” The elephant would leave the boat sitting in the harbor near the coastline in front of the captain, and would be able to hold bags and letters.

“Is the house at the coastline making the standing woman happy?” the man thought. The different speech and the speech here bored him.

“You claimed the chandler’s bedroom!” said the short man, standing so he faced away.
Dina chena estara doiechalat na nacha zelha bo ta barca so ta zoia, dovana za to betroc moiosc. Ostavilat a bòrd soio chivotonei, d’elefant cot govoiachoch, i chelat co ta tzïotat. Col’con chas polh, din’ druga barca, chet o elhediach, tu doiechalat i arrambalat. Bo desbarcanei, ta chorma bezïedona pïavilat din’ bandiera, seguent soi capitani, cot nochiach din’ pocri-goloa nech paochini. To-t’ capitani, go lhitzo chalen, milhilot «Co cheto o pïavim?» chaque nicot io saludalot. Na satz to moment, t’elefant, tzechion nech sac nech letri, otochiolot ta barca toi chena estara, bo bechanei na to biorg co to capitani i saludanei ta chorma. «To-t’ fiasco delaiet urosa ta chena estara?» milhilot to capitani. To discors go’elefant i to discors chet o iemach prononciat io dossadiach. Milhilot bo ta chena estara. «Preferilach ta cambra go candelièr co moiaia!» iscrichalot podochotement to capitani nisoc bo ch’otovortzanei.
Johnathan_4
There was an old woman that came to our land. She came by boat sailing by the wind at sea. The wind blew her here to our country. The old woman had a pet elephant aboard her boat with her that she left behind when she landed. The elephant could speak. The elephant ran out of the boat. Some time later another boat landed and docked on the shore right beside the old woman’s boat. The old woman did not know that this boat was following her the whole way. It was evident that the crew of this ship was a very rambunctious group and as they disembarked from their ship, they flew their flag high in the air. Soon enough they were following their captain up the coast and his headdress that he wore was full of spiderwebs. He was captain of his ship that was called the sad face. The captain thought; “where is this old woman’s boat floating to next?” Since nobody here is friendly. At that moment, the elephant loaded bags of letters into the old woman’s ship and then runs up the coast to greet the captain and his crew.

“It was an awkward situation for the old woman but could it make her happy?” thinks the captain. The elephant talked and delivered a speech to the captain and crew but they got bored really fast.

The old woman starts to think; “I would prefer a nice cush life than to the life I have now! The short captain turned away and cried jealously.
Hihmluhfis Nukuhmihs agnagihsh kehsh nuhkastihk shazsagaskihn suhluslih ashuhnis husa luhklaelehn halagip muhlaelun ahnilomeh nilikliklieh. hihmluhfis aguhbuhluingli hihmluhfis olihneh. Aguhbuhluingli yusvihvihlihseh kehsh bugabap hushablaka suhmisi kashuralavla ju. Ortemehnihl, lusivi agnagihsh hihmluhfis aheraeh glavieh likliliu nilikliklieh kehsh blulivlueh. Ehtbikotokleht ririeh kehsh nihlototehn ahashuheh glavieh inhinku hohtem gooseh halagip uhr nuhmuhnuhm hatieh. Inhinku halagip dolihkanaminih nukiplieh, “hihmluhfis bugabap pibli miwawiuheh?” Kika arvi klolieh. Bituyehn, aguhbuhluingli chinchlihn halagip uhr juhmek akamakaeh husa kashuralavla agnagihsh halagip hihmluhfis aguhbuhluingli olihneh mishgo rehwuhwa bugabap inhinku kehsh bikotok totihkoeh klolieh. “huhnihklo hihmluhfis kabakup kanti:sr?” - Inhinku nukiplieh. Aguhbuhluingli buhlehnti kehsh buhbuhtilos hohtem aguhbuhluingli vehmisehsehv wohkuhdus rotolopi. Hihmluhfis nukiplieh. Ogibahgi halagip hegiu mishgo uhnok’knok kwishushihnɬ! Zeinhinkugi en:klehsmeh goshihseh kukumakuyu.
DzêtaRedfang
An elder (fem.) in a non-motorised boat arrives on the land we inhabit by way of the winds at dawn. The elder (fem.) leaves by way of an elephant. The elephant speaks and goes towards a city. After a short period of time, a second motorboat which followed the elder (fem.) to this land arrives at a dock. A very noisy crew leaves the motorboat with a flag flapping in the wind and follows a captain that is wearing a headdress of spiderwebs. Because nobody is greeting them, the sad captain thinks, “what is the elder (fem.) floating towards?”. At that moment, the elephant that is moving bags of messages into the elder’s (fem.) boat is going to the place on the coast where the captain and their crew are running and greeting.

The captain thinks: “Does the somewhat weird situation make the elder (fem.) happy?”. The elephant gives the speech that it brought and delivered while bored.

The elder (fem.) thinks: “I like a bedroom filled with candles more than my belongings!”. The short captain turns away and cries jealously.
.tö fepaitë’ ivëxomapö obräpü yã dønẽsüñëdä të aiyer üruztotö xẽ wä imrusrõoño. ti obräpü kiđemöcpoitö sikã. të kiđemöc nhesŕäärk öxü pniþäbëdä. õñãi boiniñëdä koguo deukö xẽ ø̃fñëbä üruzmatötõ obräkwi floyamäsik aiyer bäväbëdä. aŕacneø̃të feulcamokö koguoyeuwaleuug døüswãsiŕimø të oiweu koguotörk öxü koguokotö xãiyëkøtëtø̃ yã vaŕõ ghieþiëdø̃ sojõnödõdõ. kaiŕõ tä ryäñäëktërk’ đukokö’ bö yo zëväclikërbëjbø̃, übõzãa të koguo xãiyëpëx wigäkë jäälk “?gyeuubã ti obräpü ñoibogöda?”. øþmañöda filekñëbäbø̃ të kiđemöc xẽ da avnørsgyë vlihø̃gyëbø̃’ tä klõz obräpütü dønẽsüdëdädø̃ tä curkidëdä yã të koguomakökotö xãiyëmäkëkøtëkø̃ öxü bo koguoyeuwaleuugñögagödadõ đumãrlñödadödaböjdõ öxü väclikërñëbäbëdäbëjbø̃ üruzmatötotöpöxtõtõtõ. übõzãa të koguo xãiyëpëx jäälk “?ti obräkwi yüolmugëm tä gyoza køhirŕa?”. jëcäärk të kiđemöc tä jëcävukwõ xẽ bä aiføoima öxü ezsẽemä þüƀä pimkömudörg. übõzãa ti obräpü jäälk “!wä mrä dohunuvmazgyö yã coilnoölđgyö’ unwunägüulcaölđgyödõ wo ezmẽlcdërggyëdø̃!”. të koguo xãiyëpëx bo mnaakwöpõ i đibwärk keov bo pnãiissäñëbäbø̃ jëwëu.
Mándinrùh
With the winds at dawn came the elder and her boat into my land. The elder left the boat on an elephant, which roared and came towards the city. Just before, a second boat, from my nation, had followed the elder’s into the dock. With a billowing flag, a loud crew comes from the second boat with the boat’s captain, the one with the spiderweb headdress.

Because they were not met by the elder, the captain was sad. “Where is she going?” he thought. At that moment, the elephant came to the beach where the captain and his crew were coming ashore. The captain worried that the elder might be enjoying her unusual conduct. Then the elephant roared again, sounding its voice to indicate its boredom.

“I like this as a resting place, a hearth filled with bodies,” proclaimed the elder. His jealousy fleeting, the captain touched his face to find that he had been crying.
Nesyar’os, nemanovi omen l’ otanuyodoné ronal bigzus asri. Mitani urusim dyo ita raranhalo la kinwostanvante. Kavóÿk! Nenkazba l’ uwoynva ïsasumlené el balamuno lez uno nazbin t’ asumleni.

Nita ryo asdelewé nazbini kimna mal uno nazbin raz asri; si bigzus ranhalo la duzasenkitubid. Usim warudoné vavazdendam raz unvi mano l’ ukimnoza uwoynva azbïsasoboben. Mwanmwan! Bigzus ni kinastomumvas; s’ azbakinosrivahkubzëda. “Ëzú l’ amanleni?” osrikënesi.

Abigzusvanté balamuno kimnavi mano l’ ëzú duzïsasoblené ranhalo l’ asumleni. Imá witamad astayuoyn. “Adkazba omeni umbi duzosho, arabrizi dwenu.” bigzus ïsosdekím.

Kimna uno tëbin uvadzetva osrutabat; si duzasridiné osbanda. Womenva osnëminkím “Ete okavra es
l’ astomilené ikí ezdostuba.”
Salmoneus
Once upon a time, there was womanly priest, who had lead a world to destruction. One day, the winds of morning carried her toward my beaches.

Roar! Their ship was coming, by means of that great beast that, roaring, went toward the port. Another’s loving queen was standing by her ship, and the master of the ship also. And the priest had followed them by sail toward the beach. The blowing wind began to climb down to their land, roaring to draw attention to itself with flags. Foolishness! Galloping, it did not understand the priest! And, standing still, it began to think badly of them! “Whither is this one galloping?” it asked.

The beast that bore the priest came galloping toward the beach – but toward which land toward which the ruling class had come climbing down? The animal roared again out of boredom. The priest, sitting, said: “this port has been the place of death, the firepit of corpses”. The master, angry, touched their face, and they studied that that had cried. Lying dying, they spoke: “you anticipate the enemy that has never come walking toward you”.
cụénnóléca ịa saġart in ịeoró dạgem stóth 7 sa tha at tuirthongo middegạrdé áir fóridi 7 an ém dạgé in bar morganas ụíd at miṇó strạ́d 77 mú 77 thȧoṣ bethor cụam mieclon hiṣó lung só tha at ụécsạ at his rárạ́in rann 7 fróecụạ́inn stóth at hiṣu lungó ta átheré áid ab ác sụa ta lungó 7 seagl áid áir saġart ab hima huntóth 77 nitherclíbrón nam sa ụída ụạ́nd ta hiṣó eartho 7 sụa rárend 7 sụa ágann grípittenạ gúthfạ́namm mahtéd 77 tómmaheod 77 at his hloppón ne úderstóth hit ne saġart 7 áid at his stạ́in hit nam ab hima missạnạmuinn 77 frạchn hit ạlla sụạ́ 7 hụadré an sẹssi hloppoth 77 at strạ́do tha tha bethar at his hloppón cụam tha thạno saġart bar 7 ac at hụilc an eartho 7 tha fróebród at hiṣó nitherclíbrón at forécụam 77 niúiaflathó ráridi sa fíad ab his listachtó 77 cụath saġart sittend ạlla sụạ́ 7 sẹssi ụécsa ụas dȧothstedi 7 that bạ́lafórgrạbạ marbúi 77 midi turna tha á hímmé sa ab his hleoṣạ hạ́dlód 7 áid sport hi that tha ér uópdi 77 at his steairbn liegdi áid cụath tó ạlla sụá 7 fíad ịí foréuạróth 7 tha gagin í náir at his gạingn cụam 777
Jackk
There was a priestess in the olden days, before the world was destroyed in fire, who one day was stood on my beach in the morning wind.

"Moo!" A big beast came and ran to the jetty, bellowing; a guard stood at their ship, moving over to another sailboat from where the priestess had been hunting the beast. It climbed down as the wind blew along the ground and roared, its attention grabbed by the boat's flag—what pointless vanity!

The priestess didn't understand why it galloped and why it thought ill of them. She asked the beast, "Where are you galloping off to?"

The beast came galloping onto the priestess' beach where the family had aliighted from their boat and come ashore. It bellowed once more out of boredom.

The priestess said: "This jetty was a place of death, a corpse's pyre."

Feeling angry, the abbot touched his face and noticed that he had been crying.

When all is said and done, remember to beware the animal that has not yet come to act against you.
Last edited by Jackk on 05 Jan 2022 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Ring 2

Original English:

Final English:
The woman knew that the priestess had forgotten the boat. Smelling the sea air, she went from the road to the city.

However, because of the sign and the prophecy, the boat's crew stayed on the steep meadow. They wondered, "Where are we?". They came over and then met up with people who weren't selling anything. Their slave brought them their news while the boat drifted far away.

The woman said: "You guys! I've already told you to leave the meadows. You can smell the sweet air of your homeland which I've talked about. You would be glorious, if I kept insulting them. I'll come with you!", she said as the crew wept.

She said: "The prophecies were correct—gather some of the carpenter's wood."
In stages:
Spoiler:

Jackk

Doω'r vonheðiges yn gał na sy'n kyrhaeð keυbal y bore gyda'i greυd hi ðiskyn o'r veg ag anadlυ awel vωgled-vorled y drew rυthredig. Weł—a łymder mae'r keυbal yn arhos ωrth y lanva, ond yn y clorened gan gatωmoeð a łoωnoðjon ag "I bυn amcan greωh whi alwad?" nid oes dim o'r taithwir divyrrωh gan voned a masnawhir gan ðivlastod sy'n arverol. Heb os mae'r long am ðadangori kyn gał ei qυhanga hi bentωrrυ'i chynhωsyðjon a thomfei hi.

"Ne dybjωh whi'n bod ni'n haeðυ tavarn lan y mor?" iðo'r govyn hi. Gυeła'r mae ei rhυglinab hi gyda jeith y lad dramor hon, o lejaw, ato heb ðal am y łaveryð vikin ni'w vod o ðim yn drysυ hi'n lwir ac ehlysur.

"Jωh yr rhoωn i ðewiso'r Ty Canhwiłωr, eih υrðas," eb y dyn byrreg a thrałodυs yn debyg ωrth ei glan.
Davush
The lady realised that she had missed the morning boat just as she alighted from the bus and took a breath of the smoky, marine air of the bustling town. Well—there was in fact one boat remaining in the harbour, but in the queue for certificates and signatures and "what is the purpose of your journey"s, none of the bonneted travellers nor any of the bored merchants were familiar to her. The ship would certainly set off before her butler could collect her luggage and tickets.

"Do you think we should head to the seaside inn?" she asked him. Her fluency in the language of this foreign land was improving; however, that is not to say that the local dialect didn't completely baffler her on occasion.

"I would suggest you choose the Chandler House, m'lady" said the squat, disgruntled man also at her side.
Ōr xar arē n sygma m ṣagdarid m šeb šaran alkakan pallouar m louga nouan s katekoušias pē ōr s apnosagas ten ab xouta arounōnē tyxmōnē m kalla gyrgiōnē. Aila—kišarkan ašatē n nmila sōgar ši pallouar, n ṣapō nouma m šytniē nou ḥotmē nou “s kidē mezlō si?”, s kan našek ba ab mezlaitadē pšomatadē nounē ab taggōrē anykṣōn mōn ten ab šakaṣē. Pallouar nou ibar parapšarē ba pōra šen gad apesē ḥyṭmōthōš zambiliš nou ṭarpiš.

“Ōr s kisa n šakoua si i paiōn n bith mezlaitē m šyxlipōra?” ten ōran pē. Kiš t-našoušxarē alouxadraš pē ab leššōnō dykthōnē m tmia ksainōia kē; nabašma, nabkan ōr s ab atagoura m našeb šaran t-lapkaxar soloukisa šoun xouatōs n ōr lymnē n ōr sainē.

“N sygma mi, s ab ašou ba tadē i t-tafkarē n Bith Kandilaia, ai ṣagdarid mi” ōr barnōšō gzezila xaneṣōnē men apin n saṭraš pē.
kiwikami
So, the princess realized that she had missed the dawn boat. While alighting, she then breathed in the smoke sea air of the bustling town. In any case, there truly had been one boat remaining at the port, in the queue, but with the stamps and seals and "Why are you traveling?", there are neither any veiled lady travelers nor annoyed merchants who are familiar to her. Indeed, the boat then left before she was able to gather her maidservant, her bags, and her papers.

"So do you think that we will go to the travelers' house of the coast?" she said to her. She was improving her fluency with the local language of this foreign land. However, that did not mean that the foreign tongue did not wholly confuse her at times, during the day.

"In my opinion, it is good that you are choosing House Chandler, my lady," said the disgruntled, squat fellow who also sat beside her.
Muhzím mlûsımaır ìmzıkkûraat xa·laúm kazǐat. Is·Lkıàḷàx rá Hahḳàma uḳra·hıẓâuḳ laḷu xa·ms hızàaxı kaıhám·ṣaxatm. Tı·m·r Hîıxmazùllılııhı ut·ksús laktam laım. Ḷí·m·r Tıâssuí ḳùmàum : hamàuṭ : ruar ¿Xa·Iḳùımaı ma? : Atìktasí á·lumàx ız·zuáḳ màhaḳ su·maús mrıẓmàṭ îtrıǎrtaḳmıka uǐḷıǔrmumt sual. Hıàmùllızta laım lımı·ms mıkìrîkaraàḳma ṭıîhııúḳ : ḳaîauaṭ : hraîaẓùsa.

¿Aràṭ ahà·Talùsàmuàx kám xa·hûsam xa·lumak zâaxáz? Saḷàx muas. Klımaı saìl lal·lalrǎı za·lual raısám ṭáḷ zıuhúmám. Ḷí·m·r Ḳmaktǎı klımraıaı ıs·ıùtıtlıktır·tlırràar kamut húla·laìl ıs·ms sazı.

⋮Ahà·Tlaıhí sám rûukràax Xa·Hûsam Hùṭus ù·kaìm mıìzìz⋮ Saḷàx muas maıḳ aǐtrıǎtamr : taımǐtam : mzıuḳûraaı sál.
Click
The princess realized she had missed the dawn boat. On her way, she took a breath of the ocean air, reeking of the bustling coastal town’s smoke. There was only a single boat at the jetty in the port. But, there were too many wax stamps, seals and “Why’d you travel there?”s. There were no veiled mothers traveling, or merchants who she knew. When she could gather her servants, luggage and paperwork, the boat had just left.

“So, in your opinion, should I stay at the coast travelers’ guild?” she said. She’d improved her fluency in the foreign land’s local language. However, this won’t necessarily mean the foreign language wouln’t bewilder her every now and then for today.

“In my opinion, it’d be auspicious if you chose the chandlers’ guild, my lady,” said the frustrated person, the short one sitting next to her.
Ta pıṟcıpesa scortà cos l’ éa falada ta nàe venàḷ. A ta vıä la spınà d’ anıa se t’ ocèano chı puzâ a to fumo do mısto susunô a ta còsta. Soḷ’ éa ura nàe loṛghe-t’ móḷ ır to ponto. M’ éa premasa tımberra, sêlora ϗ panave «percós ḻà vıäyede?» N’ éa matre vıäyarte veḷade nϗ mercartı ch’ ela l’ a coṟostı. Cuar la spô che coḻı léı bastaȷerı, bezasera ϗ cantera da, ta nàe tamàṟ éa pantıd.

«To, seór tıs, dônéa che mara dır dón còstovıäyerı?» la dıs. S’ éa mıönada léa fuórtsa ır ta léṛgua locàḷ da tèna fonasta. Però, to no vedí cos la nec smotsa òı ta léṛgua fonasta de cuar a tar.

«Seór mıs, seréa propızo chesı vôstrı xéḷade dır dón steàrıcherı, sıona mía,» la dıs ta persora frustrada, ta baxa sêrtarte de lıs.
Man in Space
The princess realized she had missed the dawn boat. She, by the path, breathed the air off the ocean that reeked of the bustling town by the coast. There only was one boat on the pier in the port, but she had too many stamps, signs, and words. "Why are you going there?" She knew none of the mothers traveling in veil, nor the merchants. When she had assembled her servants, luggage, and documentation at her house, the boat had just left.

"So you're saying I should have left from the depot?" she said. It helped that she was fluent in the local language, but this is not say it didn't trip her up on occasion.

"Excuse me—they say it's good luck to choose the candlemakers' house," the frustrated lady who was seated below her told her.
Intëĝ ḫeḫúd hé tíkdar ü n hadál iénhu ü, hae lûraĝ irü krhe ü hé. Ḫuú taád ü kiĝ ḫn ü kênde kámr té téh ü iḫłéd mô ü hé hám mô ü. Áge krhé dún gêk kor ü ïḫ krhé éił ü, ör uarák úhrak öd inlak öd eshú séḫ hé. "Áge ĝuáí ü n łn hé ahket?" Sïrsî ĝîn omom té hanïr łúkág nr rmé öd ahdal hêkhá rmé hé. Hu tük irü osł ü m hé ör oraré ar ü m hé ör hanïr ü m hé ëg éił m hé, táḫr irü krhé ü ískeĝ.

"Éë," saman hé, "tían ĝús łn hae éskr áłag táḫr tékéoghêh ḫn ü ĝús?" Áge israk hékik m hé ĝ'are ü ĝ'úmak ü, ör, kîtren kehsél lü, hïdl hé ikłe usen ar.

"Atsû ántr ü ĝ'ús," saman hé ëá kía té ḫrmag éḫn hé lü hé laúr. "Tían hae lü, hae áge háurá israk łîĝ ëg n ahdál kaá n iurîs n lhul."
VaptuantaDoi
He knew the daughter of the ruler, who had missed the boat. The air blew off the ocean, the moving city smelled of the coast near the road near him. There was one boat on the jetty, with the owner in it, but there were stamps and signs and words for him. “Why is that your destination?” The travelling mothers met outside, and they didn’t sell him anything. By the time his slaves gathered his papers in his house, the boat had just left.

“Oi,” he said, “I told you that you needed to leave from the dock.” His skill of this region’s language was good, but to be honest, he sometimes made mistakes.

“Show mercy on my head”, he told the highborn woman, groaning in pain underneath her. “It is said that it’s a good omen to choose a builders’ house of firewood.”
Inkeno bıheč čiñañi čı ınkečsı ñičñaþnoñče. Ñise ñasiɂča boɂ ñusnıñ ñe, kısneč tıčtoɂča u aɂnuč ısehnı sañče. Ñičñaþnoč bıɂ enkiɂča ñas čıñkıɂča u, kıɂ ñısıñtıɂnıč o ñısñıhsısnıč keɂ. Čıse to: “kısne ñasnasñi keñ bın?” Ñıheñče añeñča ısıčnonte kısnı ñıksı, o očtoɂte bu buna ñi. Kaɂ ñısnıɂkeþnoč ni ısiñsañte ñıhoñ kısnıč ni u, kaɂ ñičñaþnoñče ıntıs.

Čıse to: “aa! Iñčısıh ñıɂ to ıñansıñ tısñı čıñkenıče ñe.” Aɂke unı o okseɂča o ni aɂ, kıɂ ınsıčseso ñuɂ, ınsıhčas aɂkes.

“Bı tunsehto ı u,” čıse tuɂča kın, kaɂ ısbıne tus ñi bu. “Insıčsese ke ñi: ñeho aɂ kaɂ ınsıþohñıþ kıs ñıhohno o ñısintın ku.”
ixals
He had known the king’s daughter who had missed the boat. She breathed the air of the ocean breeze, as she travelled on this city’s road. The owner of a boat stood on this raised platform, but for statements and milestones.

He asked: “Why is that your destination?” The walking women gathered outside the house and sold her nothing. While her servants were gathering the identification papers at her house, the boat had left.

She said: “Hey! I told you that you need to leave the raised platform.” The language skills of her homeland are good, but to be honest, she makes mistakes sometimes.

“You’re at my mercy,” he told the rich woman, while she was groaning from below, “He is telling her this: The omen is good when you choose from a builder’s house made from firewood.”
Thá shá chàn thér thán chí mhī shá kên·dó. Thó shá in·àn thán lhō à thán zhó·brī, ná shá thó phár ú thér ká à thér zhēr cà. Thá é·mhán à en chí shá da ú thér zhēr sé ghó·chār shá lhâ, dhó á kìn·nhín ó mír·dor.

Thá shá ghà·chē: “Ghó ir thá thá phár·án à ir?” Thé gán kèn shá sēr sán ur thán ghū, ó shá thé shár thér én·bhî. Mhē thé dhón·nhâ à thér shá in·sán thén sēr·sān·pâ an thán ghū à thér, shá khàn·zér thá chí.

Thó shá zá: “Ê! Í shá dhé zá dhú mó gán khàn thér lhâ!” Thé mhā·kìn à thán zhén·lhán à thér ir gō, dhó má í phè er·lhí, là thó mhī jì an jì.

“Zhì ir in thér khán à mé”, shá thá zá thér dhî phè kèn, mhē shá thó tin nhī·khàn. “Thá zá thér thán zhēr: Thé jê ir gō, ò phàr dhú ur en ur bár·phì sé chá shá bē·mhán·ghū.”
Acipencer
He knew that the princess had missed the boats. She breathed in the ocean breeze, as she traveled along the town road. The owner of one of the boats was standing on this raised plane however, for proclamations and waymarkers.

He asked: “why is this their destination?” they walk up to the woman and gather themselves outside the house, and they have sold her nothing. While her servants were gathering up the personal identification papers near her house, the boat sailed away.

She said: “hey! I said you must leave the planes!” the artful speech of her homeland is good, but may I be honorable, she did me wrong time to time.

“You are in the my hands” he said to the wealthy woman, as she moans from bellow. “He says this: the signs are good, when you pick out firewood made from a worker’s house.”
Oɣa po tʰaratotʰa o na pirinitʰi po meɣoto na ɣe. Oɣa po kʰopʰiatotʰa na kiwi penia, riwia toɣoto a tʰeɣiri na roɣi. Reka na poto a mo ɣe po tiato a mira waka ritʰe, owana mo tu kara mo puapua.

Na poto po tʰanikiaruto, “mira tia more na are tarareka?” rotona a na we ia tapotʰiana ɣeripa na aka, ia oɣe pako ketuna na tʰuka. Riwia tuwia na we po tapotʰiana pipi na we me a aka na oɣa, na ɣe itʰi ɣeripa.

Tʰanito: “ai! po otʰanini o atʰite manimera na waka” tʰani kiapʰia wama na oɣa ɣia, u aɣi wekere, oɣa tomiratoro nua.

“Mapʰakʰetʰa wia na ti” oɣa po tʰanitotʰa a na we, riwia puto a takʰana. “Tʰanito mira: na puapua ɣiana, ɣua mapiapʰe ruruwi aka na piapate.
Titus Flavius
She knew that the priestess forgot about the boat. She breathed the oceanic wind, while travelling at the city road. However people from the boat stood on the high field, because of the announcement and the omens.
People asked: "What is our destination?". They walked to the woman and gathered away from their houses, not selling anything.
While the woman's slave was bringing her verified papers to her house, the boat swam away.
She said: "Oh! I have spoken: "You must leave the plain! Your sweet-smelling, good homeland is speaking: "If I have honor, she insults me often!" " "
"You sit on my hand!" - she said to the woman, moaning about the root.
She said: "The signs are good, when you choose firewood for the workers' houses."
Mnei zemnemnagn uz arâlmiu cancorzêmgnau rôcvau. Mnei miznûm tanîzctirivlai purêngnavlai, vapizgzemnagn ântovlim câmzavlan. Aran ptâzi rôcvavlèr mazigzemnagn ugz mâzciravlim uâcgnavlim, zar mîvnicavlèr roghêrlemnèrat. Ptâzi mercegnêgz "vele rogzit vzînmem u?". Ûznem vapigzegz ptâmnievlan gnîvzat zârmimnê îznimem evadricgzemnagn iôgu.
Moz artus ptâmnieu orictemnagn uz mîvnac mnêiu gâztagn, rocva nûz orcazagn.
Mnei lâz: "uoi vzîu! Vzi lêze: "côrnem zêhnei girvehgzêmnagn nârdiu! Zarimnor cêrnimem acezagn vûrcnauat zâicgnau laz: "nit vzi cegnâce, ari mnei varctin vzîu sucagn.".".".
Mnei lâz: "cor ammazîgen pîtrèvlim vzîu!" ptâmnievlai cahigzemnagn ôrnitavlèr.
Mnei lâz: "roghêrèl ugz acezagn, moz cor nîven zâzrou zêrmimnai norîvmem.".
Iyionaku
She knew that the priestess forgot the boat. While she was breathing the oceanic wind she walked the road towards the city. However, the people from the boat were staying on the high fields because of the announcement and the omens. The people asked: „Where are we?“ They walked and met far away from the homeland that they haven’t sold. When the woman’s household slave was bringing her verified announcement, the boat swam far.
She said: "Hey! I said:" "You must leave the plain! Your good and sweet-smelling homeland speaks: "If I have honor, she will insult me frequently."."."
She said: „I'm on your side!“, while the woman was weeping.
She said: „The omens are good, while you gather firewood with the house workers.“
Yuwā withūna ma șayīn īna mirșū mā plāvan. Phewumtā mey dheyantur hwente yuwā khirsīne mu rāstayu mes mītes. Āyīmūna, mem phītajumtur jū fay apāșakūmar krāti, fi ēphim mam plavar khajanī fu klūwevā kravir. Ūpan perkūmi, "Wey estur kū?" Khersūyu ūpan mintī īmi nū pirkū thu janmayu phālay. Pradhamtā may ceynāti thūwarine jaye phītajum, ma plāva nethīne phālay.
Yuwā hritīne, „Yāna! Ēku yas hritū phi bliger șay kēveme fa kravil! Īray phal, phāsālu phewumi tha janma hriti: Heve ṣiyan, ēku tīde nēcas jer.“
Yuwā hritīne, "Ēku pay jūdayn īrer!" entīm ceynāti maythicudar.
Yuwā hritīne, "Fi apāșakūmu payn phalvi, rāmta șay sā hrīșikāthan kum fay tșurar."
I Lorik
She knew that the priestess had forgotten the boat. Smelling the sea wind, she came from the road to the city. However, because of the announcement and the omen, the people's boat remained in the steep fields. They wondered: "Where are we?" After they had come, they gathered in the homeland which they had not sold. While their male slave brought her announcement, the boat floated away.

She said: "Oh, you! I have said that you must leave the fields. You are smelling the sweet air of your homeland which I spoke of. You would have honour, if I'd often insulted them."

"I stand with you!", she said during their weeping. She said: "The omens are good, gathering some firewood with the carpenters".
Kî vâssô ká an bîtan ûkrô an balakun. Sîphin an vír ara, kî pâdô erda-vúd dorad-duc. Kadiran, an phatâliv a an dîriv-dra, an balakun tûr alôrû anin adravanin nâdivin-duc. Ki-kuvâssód, "Ni-sîlád rávin?" Ki-itâvúd, tûrda brôvód tûr-duc ká ùn-ki-ibrîssúd. Tun tavur nohôrû kûnin-duc tu phatâliv hana an balakun pâdô harad-duc.

Kî bîtô: "Ô, hînin! Na-dâkâ bîtâ ká ri-vîrád arrîvar anin nâdivin-vúd. Ri-sîphíd an kevrava vír vin darta tûr ká na-dâkâ bîtâ-vúd. Ri-dâkovâ nala, sa na-lanbîtarâ kûnin lhenas." "Na-sîlô hînin-vid!", kî bîtô hana kûnin belîdód.

Kî bîtô: "Anin dîrivin sîlód dartanin, suvôlhád adrú horra anin horra-vâlanin-vid."
Jackk
The woman knew that the priestess had forgotten the boat. Smelling the sea air, she went from the road to the city. However, because of the sign and the prophecy, the boat's crew stayed on the steep meadow. They wondered, "Where are we?". They came over and then met up with people who weren't selling anything. Their slave brought them their news while the boat drifted far away.

The woman said: "You guys! I've already told you to leave the meadows. You can smell the sweet air of your homeland which I've talked about. You would be glorious, if I kept insulting them. I'll come with you!", she said as the crew wept.

She said: "The prophecies were correct—gather some of the carpenter's wood."
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Wow, Ring 1…wtf happened?? [xD]
DzêtaRedfang
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by DzêtaRedfang »

First the shift into Atruozan which was a rough one, then a couple oddities coming out of it.....the real answer though is just "Sal's torch". Something happened in Sal's torch or as a result of it that resulted in it just falling apart lmao.
Your friendly neighbourhood french-canadian penguin
protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by protondonor »

This jetty was a place of death, a corpse's pyre.
anonymous123
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by anonymous123 »

spanick wrote: 05 Jan 2022 19:52 Wow, Ring 1…wtf happened?? [xD]
I bet you were all wondering where the elephant came from...

When I got the text from log, I saw that the mode of transportation was a "carriage". This greatly concerned me. The Ghoni people hadn't come across anything like a carriage in their time. (I later learned that it was formerly a "bus", which was even more concerning.) So I thought of the apparently noble status of our subject and thought "well, the Ghoni have heard of elephants, and elephants sound like something rich people would ride on." Thus the elephant came into being, and subsequently terrorized the six other conlangers ahead of me.

Frankly, I was surprised it had that much longevity, I was kinda expecting it to just get retranslated into some other culturally or chronologically appropriate transportation method. Unfortunate that it ended up as a non-descript large animal by the end, but that could also theoretically be an elephant, so I'll take my W please
ngąxayo peřwa a nałatą zehą, Irkąlą a tinąk a pehenątą zehą; nał a zehą, xąnituhąpąkałąpą he xąhatunąhąx; dą a zehą, xąnihąhaningnumąnwąpąnawe; nał a zehą, tan tukuhoyohoyopąnawe henąngahenąngatą a pwązi...
Acipencer
sinic
sinic

Post by Acipencer »

anonymous123 wrote: 05 Jan 2022 20:33 Frankly, I was surprised it had that much longevity, I was kinda expecting it to just get retranslated into some other culturally or chronologically appropriate transportation method. Unfortunate that it ended up as a non-descript large animal by the end, but that could also theoretically be an elephant, so I'll take my W please
I think it stuck through the different translations because it was so non-generic. Participants probably saw "elephant" and assumed it was salient information because of how specific it was.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

DzêtaRedfang wrote: 05 Jan 2022 20:12 First the shift into Atruozan which was a rough one, then a couple oddities coming out of it.....the real answer though is just "Sal's torch". Something happened in Sal's torch or as a result of it that resulted in it just falling apart lmao.
There are a lot of things I can logically derive... But where on earth did the random interjection "Moo!" come from?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Jackk wrote: 05 Jan 2022 18:08 Johnathan_4
There was an old woman that came to our land. She came by boat sailing by the wind at sea. The wind blew her here to our country. The old woman had a pet elephant aboard her boat with her that she left behind when she landed. The elephant could speak. The elephant ran out of the boat. Some time later another boat landed and docked on the shore right beside the old woman’s boat. The old woman did not know that this boat was following her the whole way. It was evident that the crew of this ship was a very rambunctious group and as they disembarked from their ship, they flew their flag high in the air. Soon enough they were following their captain up the coast and his headdress that he wore was full of spiderwebs. He was captain of his ship that was called the sad face. The captain thought; “where is this old woman’s boat floating to next?” Since nobody here is friendly. At that moment, the elephant loaded bags of letters into the old woman’s ship and then runs up the coast to greet the captain and his crew.

“It was an awkward situation for the old woman but could it make her happy?” thinks the captain. The elephant talked and delivered a speech to the captain and crew but they got bored really fast.

The old woman starts to think; “I would prefer a nice cush life than to the life I have now! The short captain turned away and cried jealously.
I love how this makes a completely cohesive narrative, despite neither the previous or the following ones making sense [xD]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

protondonor wrote: 05 Jan 2022 20:26 This jetty was a place of death, a corpse's pyre.
Yes, I was surprised by the dramatic turn it took too. Technically, the Old Wenthish says that it's a "pyre-flame pit" (or 'balefire grave' to use the direct English cognates). And you'll be disturbed to learn that it's actually a pyre-flame pit of corpses - not just one corpse! I don't blame Jackk too much for this one as it's an unusual expression, which I struggled with myself. I interpreted the text I got as calling for a "firepit of bodies", but I felt that an Old Wenthish speaker would want to make clear that this was a funeral fire, since a domestic hearth OF CORPSES wouldn't make much sense. Even though I don't think OW cremation would have been pit-based. But I don't know, oddly it's not an issue I've given much thought to before this.

EDIT: fwiw, I did know it was meant to be a port, port-town, port-city, whatever. Unfortunately the Wenthar islands in the 1st millennium doesn't have cities. They don't really even have towns. Even villages are pushing it. I thought of using the Irish loanword for 'city', which in OW can be any colossally humongous city (like, maybe even half a dozen buildings or more!), but I instead went for a word which can be either a jetty (or just a good beach) or the fishing hamlet around it, as this addressed both the idea of a settlement and the idea of a place ships might come to, which I thought might be helpful for the story.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Iyionaku wrote: 05 Jan 2022 22:43
DzêtaRedfang wrote: 05 Jan 2022 20:12 First the shift into Atruozan which was a rough one, then a couple oddities coming out of it.....the real answer though is just "Sal's torch". Something happened in Sal's torch or as a result of it that resulted in it just falling apart lmao.
There are a lot of things I can logically derive... But where on earth did the random interjection "Moo!" come from?
I'm pleasantly surprised (/disappointed) that ended up less silly than I thought it would be!

It comes from Mandinruh's text: "kavóÿk!", glossed "onomatopoeia for an animal roaring". Presumably they added this for reasons of colour and narrative interest?

I then went down a damn rabbit hole trying to address the question of what 1st millennium Germanic speakers would do if asked to imitate the sound of a great beast roaring - from 'roar', I assumed it was a lion or the like, or at least something that sounded like one. Old Wenthish speakers, of course, have never encountered lions and probably don't even have any stories about them. In fact, their islands are home to no native mammals larger than a shrew, which makes the concept of roaring a difficult one - although fortunately they brought horses and cows with them. In any case, it's drattedly difficult to research pre-modern onomatopoeias, as they tend not to be recorded in dictionaries.

In the end, after some research and deliberation, I decided to go with 'moo', as the deepest and most intimidating animal sound I could think of that they would be familiar with. Note that this covers not only the lowing of a cow, but also the bellowing of a bull.
DzêtaRedfang
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by DzêtaRedfang »

Iyionaku wrote: 05 Jan 2022 22:43 There are a lot of things I can logically derive... But where on earth did the random interjection "Moo!" come from?
Roar
Your friendly neighbourhood french-canadian penguin
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

"Excuse me—they say it's good luck to choose the candlemakers' house," the frustrated lady who was seated below her told her. > “Show mercy on my head”, he told the highborn woman, groaning in pain underneath her. “It is said that it’s a good omen to choose a builders’ house of firewood.”

Loving the way the dialogue portions of this changed.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Look what happened to that line in Ring 1:

“You claimed the chandler’s bedroom!” said the short man
>
The old woman starts to think; “I would prefer a nice cush life than to the life I have now!"
>
>
>
The priest, sitting, said: “this port has been the place of death, the firepit of corpses”.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Yeah ring 1 gets a lot of attention, and rightfully so! But there are some interesting shenanigans in ring 2 as well. One ist the suggestion of the guy in the beginning, which changes to an exclamation of a woman, which itself changes from being mean to friendly.
Spoiler:
"I would suggest the Chandler House, my lady,"
“In my opinion, it’d be auspicious if you chose the chandlers’ guild, my lady,”
"Excuse me—they say it's good luck to choose the candlemakers' house,"
“Show mercy on my head. It is said that it’s a good omen to choose a builders’ house of firewood.”
"You sit on my hand! The signs are good, when you choose firewood for the workers' houses."
"I'm on your side! The omens are good, while you gather firewood with the house workers.“
"I'll come with you! She said: "The prophecies were correct—gather some of the carpenter's wood."
I have to say that the jump from "Excuse me" to "Show mercy to my head" is wild, but also the one I'm responsible for, "You sit on my hand" to "I'm on your side".
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Iyionaku wrote: 06 Jan 2022 15:24 Yeah ring 1 gets a lot of attention, and rightfully so! But there are some interesting shenanigans in ring 2 as well. One ist the suggestion of the guy in the beginning, which changes to an exclamation of a woman, which itself changes from being mean to friendly.
Spoiler:
"I would suggest the Chandler House, my lady,"
“In my opinion, it’d be auspicious if you chose the chandlers’ guild, my lady,”
"Excuse me—they say it's good luck to choose the candlemakers' house,"
“Show mercy on my head. It is said that it’s a good omen to choose a builders’ house of firewood.”
"You sit on my hand! The signs are good, when you choose firewood for the workers' houses."
"I'm on your side! The omens are good, while you gather firewood with the house workers.“
"I'll come with you! She said: "The prophecies were correct—gather some of the carpenter's wood."
I have to say that the jump from "Excuse me" to "Show mercy to my head" is wild, but also the one I'm responsible for, "You sit on my hand" to "I'm on your side".
Is “show mercy to my head” like an idiom for excuse me?

I’m pretty impressed with the transformation of “I would suggest” to “it would be auspicious” to “the prophecies were correct”. The jump from auspicious to accurate prophecies isn’t that surprising, but I’m kind of surprised how quickly a very normal and seemingly easy to translate phrase like “would suggest” got derailed so quickly (within the first four translations!).
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Google Translate Relay - Ring 1

Jackk - Welsh
Protondonor - Igbo
loglorn - Vietnamese
anonymous123 - Vietnamese
frislander - Azeri
Dendana - Corse
Johnathan_4 - Malayalam
DzêtaRedfang - Albanian
Mándinrùh - Croatian
Salmoneus - Irish
Final text - English

Relay text:
The famous lady found out about the loss of her boat when she got on the bus the next morning and jumped into the crowds of the city. Well - technically, the ships are still in port, but they have a liner to get stamps and signatures asking "What's the purpose of your voyage?" Freezing wastes bones and tortured objects. There is no doubt that they will be checked before employees receive their goods and tickets.

"Do you think we deserve a seafood restaurant?" He asks. Although different regions are sometimes understood, their use of this foreign language is at least evolving.

"I want to introduce Chandler's house, ma'am," he said, looking at her.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Google Translate Relay - Ring 2

Jackk - Welsh
Davush - Scottish-Gaelish
kiwikami - Igbo
Click - Corse
Man in Space - Hungarian
VaptuantaDoi - Turkish
ixals - Vietnamese
Acipencer - Igbo
Titus Flavius - Polish
Iyionaku - Latvian
I Lorik - Kurmandschi
Final text - English

Relay text:
It is known that this woman got off the train in a breathtaking city car this morning. Well done - the ship's equipment is still in port with the stamp "What do you mean?" he writes. the cost of old motels and boring operators. Their servers are checked before they get home and tickets.

- Do you think we need a restaurant by the sea? he asked. Although it is often difficult to believe in local integration, a foreign language proficiency is at least better.

"I support my wife Chendlerhaus," the man said angrily, but looked away.