Calas Abđan (قَلَص أَۏْدَن)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Calas Abđan (قَلَص أَۏْدَن)

Post by DV82LECM »

The name, pronounced [kʌ'lʌs ʌb'ɬʌn], may change, but this is the demonstration of what I think was always my linguistic David in the marble. (You know, the thing that I have truly been making since I started conlanging 8 years ago, even if having to be shown through the many featurally iterative displays that were past projects.)

/m n ŋ/ <m n ñ>
/p t k/ <p t c>
/p' t' q/ <p' t' c'>
/b~v d~z g~ɣ/ <b d g>
/bˤ dˤ ɢ/ <b' d' g'>
/f s x/ <f s h>
/fʰ sʰ h/ <f' s' h'>
/pf ts kx/ <pf ts ch>
/fm sn xŋ/ <fm sn hñ>
/w l ɾ~ɹ j/ <w l r y>
/i u a/ <i u a>

Tri-consonant root system.

Allophony:

/b d g/ lenite intervocally to /v z ɣ/ and after a plosive in clusters. Uvular realizations are word initial and after another consonant (there are limits). Ejectives, pharyngeals, and aspirates lower vowels that come before and after them, unless broken by another consonant in a cluster.

Phonotactics:

/m n ŋ p t k b d g f s x l ɾ/ may be coda. (True gemination is possible for /p t k b d g f s x/; for everything else: /mʔ nʔ ŋʔ lʔ ɾʔ ʔw ʔj/.) If this rule is maintained, then any cluster is acceptable involving their formation within roots. However, there are limitations: nasals cannot go after consonants, and approximants /w j/ cannot go before consonants. Unlike the other approximants, /l ɾ/ only precede consonants. (The vowel /ʌ/ is /ə/ before /ɾ/ at coda. This environment may frequent to /əɹ/ or vocalic /ɚ/ in fast speech.) Most manners of each place of articulation do not play well together, i.e. clusters like /pbˤ dt gx/; /q ɢ h/ cannot exist in clusters of like articulation, i.e. clusters like /pq bɢ fh/. Exceptions to limitations: nasals + consonant and consonant + approximant (before or after), i.e. clusters like /mb pw nt ld kj/.

I am looking for this to be a typological stand-alone. Anyway, any thoughts? I will post numbers for Janko, soon.
Last edited by DV82LECM on 07 Mar 2022 14:52, edited 81 times in total.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Re: Calas Abran (قَلَص أَۏْرَن)

Post by DV82LECM »

I have decided to double-down on the masculine and feminine nature of CA's inspiration. There will be masculine and feminine nouns (perhaps, even verbs).

The roots for men and women are <ۏرن> and <عون>, respectively.

<ۏر> and <عو> mean "penis" and "vagina." These are colloquialisms; one means a "stick," the other a "hole." (<ن> was an older suffix to those roots which meant "person.") So, males are "penis-people" and females are "vagina-people." I just thought it would be fun to do this.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Not much to comment at the moment.

Interested to see how triconsonantal roots work with those constraints of some consonants appearing in some positions.

I hate people commenting orthography when they don't understand anything else, but anyways.
Your usage of Arabic letters is quite creative. Persian has a letter for /p/. I think Urdu just uses the letter for /h/ to mark aspiration. Using (أَ أُ إِ) for all vowels makes words have many blank spaces because you always have to start a new line after them. The text thus does not look very beautiful.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Omzinesý wrote: 06 Oct 2021 16:19 Not much to comment at the moment.

Interested to see how triconsonantal roots work with those constraints of some consonants appearing in some positions.

I hate people commenting orthography when they don't understand anything else, but anyways.
Your usage of Arabic letters is quite creative. Persian has a letter for /p/. I think Urdu just uses the letter for /h/ to mark aspiration. Using (أَ أُ إِ) for all vowels makes words have many blank spaces because you always have to start a new line after them. The text thus does not look very beautiful.
Thanks.

And the vowel markers are not those. Those are for vowel-only syllables. <قِأُ>: this would be ['ki.u]. Personally, I would love to find an Arabic symbol for the verbs without the Hamza. Those would go into the middle of words; the Hamza'd version would go at onset.

Update: I found a keyboard online. This is a better example of a longer, random word: <لَتِمُاِ> [lʌ.ti.'mu.i].
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨