A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Lexember 2021

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 5th - Lohdan
gâhdir ['gɑ:Rdiɾ] - To muck out
lotur ['lotuɾ]- Stall (where you'd put a horse) (literally: "horse-place")
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

5m Lexembr
zajadau /ˌza.ʒaˈdo/ [ˌzaʝɐˈdo]
- discoloured, stained, of an inapproproate or suboptimal colour;
- variegated, streaked, spotted, of several different colours;
- motley, assorted, comprising many disparate elements in an unexpected manner, especially of people

also:
veðr zajadau | jackdaw glass, a style of glassmaking from the Iberian peninsula from the ninth century onward, exported around Europe
band zajadau | motley crew, group of mixed background working to a common goal

Etymology:
Originally from Andalus; the glassware sense is the first. From an Arabic phrase like زجاج أخضر <zujáj 'ahdar> meaning "green glass", although there is considerable dialect variation in this term. Its route from there to Borland is unclear, though it was likely borrowed during the Second Tetrarchy, given the early twelfth-century attestation of <vitrum zoiactalis> in the alchemical writings of Jan Curçon. Techniques in glassmaking accelerated rapidly in ninth century Andalus, likely due to a cut-off of supply from the east; see the recent archaeological findings of the Stelazgo Edifice.

Yeðrot zajadau scanoirn y mur ne bric.
/jeðˈrɔt ˌza.ʒaˈdo xaˈnɔj.rn̩ i mɪr ne brɪk/
[jɪˈʀɔt ˌzaʝɐˈdo xɐˈnɔ.jɐn i mɪː nɪ ˈbʀɪk]
ivy variegated climb-pst.3p def wall in brick
Variegated ivy grew up the brick walls.

excerpted from sensation trevold [novel] Children of the Battle of Rexam (released originally in Welsh as Pa Ðywdan y Plant Car Vantel "What the Children of Car Vantel Say"), a fictionalised account of the three children of the Duke of Legaster left orphaned after the 1483 Battle of Rexam, a major turning point in the half-century-long Wars of Fealty. Written in 1931 N by schoolteacher Jon Paldreth, its close perspective on several famous historical figures of the period (however unlikely it is that the titular children in fact met them all) captured the imagination of the public, of the Isles and beyond.

…with the young prince; though he was not particularly martial-minded, Andrew's uncompromising tactical mind and cavalier disregard for simple diplomacy meant I would likely languish as a prisoner at Safford Castle indefinitely, or until he could put me to some better use.

No matter; the room was warm despite the January gloom outside, a merrily-crackling fire under a long tapestry depicting—I assumed—another Mercian victory, though it was anyone's guess against whom. On the other wall, the clarity of the panes suggested they were a recent addition to this old wing, possibly commissioned from the Bavarn masters. Elsewhere I had noticed many windows still held the jackdaw glass of the previous century, in a sickly green that could not quite be offset with torchlight.

At least I had little of which to complain in the view. We were south of the town proper, and past the many outbuildings stretched unmolested woodland, beyond which…
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ continued:
Day 3:
Lhóʰ /ɬo˥˧/
1. V. To breath
2. N. Breath
3. Vowel sign

Day 4:
Hèʳ-zhˀȁʳ /xe:˩ ʈ͡ʂɛ:˧˩/:
N. Final consonant (in writing)

Day 5.
Kéu /kʰeu˥/
"Walking staff"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Leczêmbirèu 5 - Camnorese
iec - yes, yeah, a meaningless dummy word (to show agreement with a statement and encourage the speaker to continue)
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 5

Weddisch
bêsem
/bezəm/
1. broom

From OE besma “broom”

Yemya
grada
/ɡɾɑdɑ/
1. house
2. enclosed space
3. barn
4. homestead

From PIE * gʰr̥dʰós.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

3 d' leksembro
seçhé (de) v - to be obsessed (with) (< seçhé "to dry"; apparently from humor theory, perhaps in reference to melancholy, which is connected with dryness and perfectionism)

4 d' leksembro
çerta adv - at least, anyway, in any case; frames a fact as a consolation for another, negative fact (< Lt. certus w/gender change)
çerh ke [+ PRS_SJV] conj - even though; implies that both interlocutors accept the subordinate clause as clearly true (< Lt. certus)

5 d' leksembro
teraplatisto adj - flat-earther; in support of the flat Earth (< Téra plata "flat Earth" + -isto "-ist")
teraplatistou/teraplatista nmn/nfn - flat-earther; person who believes in the flat Earth

— Parké ke t' aguétye touta ççetta vvidyó teraplatista ?
why SBRD 2S watch-2S all-ACC.F.C PL-DEM-ACC.F.C PL-video flat-earther
— Why do you watch all those flat-earther videos?

— Jh' en séçho, çerh k' la Téra a st ronta.
1S.NOM of_them be_obsessed-1S even_though SBRD DEF-NOM.F.C earth 3S.NOM.F be.PRS_SJV.3S round-NOM.F.C
— I'm obsessed with them, even though obviously the Earth is round.

— Bin, t' la kkrê çerta pâ.
well | 2S 3.F-PL believe-2S at_least NEG
— Well, at least you don't believe them.

Various accents (Now with an extra accent!)
Spoiler:
Albertville
— Parké ke t' agêtch touta ssetta vvidjó teraplatiste ?
[pɑˈke ke.taˈgɛːt͡ʃ tu.tɑs.sɛt.tɑv.viˈd͡ʒo te.ʁa.plaˈti.stə]

— J' an sêch, ser k' la Tére a st ronte.
[ʒɑ̃ˈsɛːʃ | ˈsɛʁ klaˈte.ʁə aˈstʁɔ̃n.tə]

— Bin, t' la kkrê serte pâ.
[ˈbɛ̃ŋ | tlɑˈkʁɛː ˈsɛʁ.tə ˈpɑː]

Moûtiers
— Parké ke t' agétye touta ssetta vvidyó teraplatista ?
[pɑˈke ke.taˈge.tjə tu.tɑs.sɛt.tɑv.viˈdjo te.ʁa.plaˈti.sta]

— J' in sêkh, chès k' la Téra a st ronta.
[ʒɛ̃ˈsɛːx | ˈʃɛs klaˈte.ʁa aˈstʁɔ̃n.ta]

— Bin, t' la kkrê cherta pâ.
[ˈbɛ̃ŋ | tlɑˈkʁɛː ˈʃɛʁ.ta ˈpɑː]

Aime-la-Plagne
— Parké ke t' agétye touta ssetta vvidyó teraplatista ?
[pɑˈke ke.taˈge.tjə tu.tɑs.sɛt.tɑv.viˈdjo te.ʁa.plaˈti.sta]

— J' in sékho, sesh k' la Téra a st ronta.
[ʒɛ̃ˈse.xə | ˈsɛθ klaˈte.ʁa aˈstʁɔ̃n.ta]

— Bin, t' la kkrê serta pâ.
[ˈbɛ̃ŋ | tlɑˈkʁɛː ˈsɛʁ.ta ˈpɑː]

Bourg-Saint-Maurice
— Parké ke t' aghétche touta ssetta vvidjó teraplatista ?
[pɑˈke ke.taˈɣe.t͡ʃə tu.tɑs.sɛt.tɑv.viˈd͡ʒo te.ʁa.plaˈti.sta]

— Dz' in sétso, sès k' la Téra a st ronta.
[d͡zɛ̃ˈse.t͡sə | ˈsɛs klaˈte.ʁa aˈstʁɔ̃n.ta]

[ˈbɛ̃ŋ | tlɑˈkʁɛː ˈsɛʁ.ta ˈpɑː]

Beaufort
— Parké ke t' aghétyë touta ssetta vvidyó teraplatista ?
[pɑˈke ke.taˈɣe.tje tu.tɑs.sɛt.tɑv.viˈdjo te.ʁa.plaˈti.sta]

— D' in séstö, sès k' la Téra a st ronta.
[dɛ̃ˈse.sto | ˈsɛs klaˈte.ʁa aˈstʁɔ̃n.ta]

[ˈbɛ̃ŋ tlɑˈkʁɛː ˈsɛʁ.ta ˈpɑː]

La Thuile
— Parki ke t' agouitchë touta ssessa vvidjó tiraplatéysta ?
[pɑˈki ke.taˈgwi.t͡ʃe tu.tɑs.sɛs.sɑv.viˈd͡ʒo ti.ʁa.plaˈtej.sta]

— Dj' in sitchö, tsès k' la Tira a st ronta.
[d͡ʒɛ̃ˈsi.t͡ʃo | ˈt͡sɛs klaˈti.ʁa aˈstʁɔ̃n.ta]

— Bin, t' la kkhrê tserta pâ.
[ˈbɛ̃ŋ | tlɑˈxʁɛː ˈt͡sɛʁ.ta pɑː]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Alál: Day 4
TAḲ2vr̀·MIR2
AGT taḳìlmır [t̪ɐ'ŋelmɪr]
OBL taḳìlmarı [t̪ɐ'ŋelmərɪ]
PAT taḳìlmıúr [t̪ɐ'ŋelmjur]
Polyglot, multilingual person
- Declension class I2 | Handling class ku
- From TAḲ2 'two', √LMIR 'tongue, petal (of flower), paintbrush'

Lakìttaḳalí lual mú taḳìlmır. [ɬɐ'ket̪əŋəɮi ɬfɐl mu t̪ɐ'ŋelmɪr] "The polyglot speaks both Alál and Mū."

Alál: Day 5
TZAZ2vŕ·ḲUR̀3
AGT tzazúḳîu [tʃɐ'ʃuŋio]
OBL tzazûḳaù [tʃɐ'ʃuɴɑo]
PAT tzazûḳur [tʃɐ'ʃuŋor]
Wastebasket, rubbish bin, trash can
- Declension class U3 | Handling class ta
- From TZAZ2 'debris, trash', √ḲUR̀ 'container, to hold, box'

Zuǎrıràx tzazûḳaù líıúr. ['ʃfɑrirɑχ tʃɐ'ʃuɴɑo 'ɬijur] "I threw his book into the wastebasket."
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 5

Hannaito (Entry 5):

ënna /ənna/ [ˈʔʲɪ̈̃n.næ] (transitive)
Verb:
1. to sew, to stitch
2. to suture
3. to fix, to mend (especially fabric)
4. to heal, to treat, to tend to (a physical wound or injury)
5. to embroider
6. to decorate, to embellish (especially fabric)

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *linno "to sew, to pull, to fix, to knit".

Now that we're beginning Week 2 of Lexember, I wanted to take time to read through and comment on what people have posted so far for Week 1. Hopefully I haven't accidentally missed anyone. Following qwed117's example from last year, I'm going to try to do this every week.

Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
As I said on the 1st, it's always a pleasure to get to see more of Yélian!
Iyionaku wrote: 01 Dec 2021 10:17 Lexember 1st - Yélian

òy! [ɔ̈ʃ] - ou! ; ouch!
Etymology: exclamation of pain

Òy! Yòiyodai reo itolota!
[ɔ̈ʃ | ʃɔʊ̯ˈʃoːdaɪ̯ ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈiːtɔ̈ˌloːtɐ]
ouch | PST-bump-1SG 1SG.POSS toe-big
Ouch! I bumped my big toe!

New grammar feature: the verb iyoda can be used with a direct object to siginify that you have stumbled some part of your body.
òy sounds great as an exclamation of pain, in my opinion. You've noted that, with a direct object, iyoda can be used to signify that you've, for example, stubbed a toe. Since this is a "new feature" rather than a "new word", though, I assume the verb already had other uses, and I see you've glossed it as "bump". Is it typically intransitive, appearing without a direct object?
Iyionaku wrote: 03 Dec 2021 08:29 Lexember 3rd - Yélian

zenta a'vanit [Southern Standard], tiènta a'vanit [Northern Standard] [ˈcentɐ ɐˈvaːnɨt] - to brag, boast
Etymology: from zenta "to swing, wave" + vanit "hand", literally to wave the hand

Usage notes: this phrase is pretty much lexicalized and behaves like one unit. It is not possible to separate the verb from the object, or to replace the definite article with a possessive pronoun - in the latter case, the phrase will literally mean "to wave with the hand".

Bonus word for the example sentence:
alanér [ɐlɐˈneːd̟] - literally, verbatim
Etymology: alan "picture" + rare adjectivizer -ér
Yélian's regional standards are always fun to compare. I'm also quite fond of the etymology of alanér in particular.
Iyionaku wrote: 04 Dec 2021 12:07 Lexember 4th - Yélian

bicai... [ˈbiːkaɪ̯] - erm... you know... you see... I mean...
bai [baɪ̯] - erm...
Etymology: 1SG of bica, literally "I speak". bai developed as a contraction off it, but it also means "yes", "I am" and "I have".

USAGE NOTES: bai is generally considered low standard and kids are discouraged of using it as a filler particle. bicai is a little better, but just as in English it's better to avoid these filler particles altogether if you can. In the example sentence, the speaker caught himself saying bai and quickly changed it to bicai.

Anai pi... bicai... vigo vat yanat reyut nailet, betál... ba- bicai... dityauruntvet pi...
[ˈaːnaɪ̯ pi... ˈbiːkaɪ̯... ˈviːxɔ̈ vɐt ˈʃaːnɐt ˈɾeːʃʉt ˈnaɪ̯lə‿bəˈtaːl... ˈbiːkaɪ̯... dɨt͡ʃaʊ̯ˈɾuntvə‿pi...]
think-1SG that INTJ if DEM 1PLIN.OBL do-INV.3SG.INAN like_that, then INTJ COND-POT-happen-COND.3SG that
I think that... erm... if we do it like that, then... erm... it might happen that...
This is wonderful. Details and examples like these truly help Yélian feel real and alive.
Titus Flavius:
Spoiler:
Titus Flavius wrote: 01 Dec 2021 11:36 Leczêmbirèu 1. - Camnorese
lagzevzor - conversation
Etymology: lâze (speak) + -vzor (together)
Lagzevzor arâlmivlai ariz rugzectagn.
conversation:NOM priestess-COM can:PRS:3sg scary:NOM
Conversation with a priestess can be frightening.
Regarding the example sentence, I can certainly imagine!
Titus Flavius wrote: 02 Dec 2021 23:26 ɬék-tep-per 2: pāˀ-llātʰ
rrɨ-ma jjá-tʰátʃ āˀrr-ɣétʰ
speak 3PL-head being_between\PTCP
(literally: speak between heads)
talk in secret
Titus Flavius wrote: 03 Dec 2021 11:55 Leczêmbirèu 3 - Camnorese
eiu - not
Camnorese does not have a real word for "not"; usually the negated form of the verb is used. "eiu" is colloquial and means literally "isn't".
These two words are probably my favorites so far, at least in terms of etymology.
Titus Flavius wrote: 04 Dec 2021 08:57 Leczêmbirèu 4 - Camnorese
namorzè (côruian)
a very official greeting, meaning literally "blessing (to you)"
ɬék-tep-per 4: pāˀ-llātʰ
na-por-téˀ
greeting (Camnorese loan)
Thank you for putting these together as one post!
Mándinrùh:
Spoiler:
I don't know how much I've seen of Atili before now, but I'm already fond of how it looks and sounds.
Mándinrùh wrote: 01 Dec 2021 16:30 Image Atili: Tïnwe - discourse particle which indicates that the speaker has suddenly realized or was surprised by something that they think they should have already known, either because it should have been obvious or because it should have been common knowledge.

Tïnwe, "lïte" vahumis "lili tae" wos.
I was today years old when I learned that "lïte" (courage) is a shortening of "lili tae" (strong mind).
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

ˈtɨ.nwɛ  | ˈɫɨ.tɛ    vɑˈχu.miʃ       ˈɫɨ.ɫi ˈtɑ.ɛ  woʃ
tïnwe    , "lïte"    vah-umi-s       "lili   tae"  w-o-s-Ø
(surprise) "courage" make-short-PART "strong mind" PL-3INAN;IPFV-C(abstract)-COP
Oh, that's fun! Coining a word that can be roughly translated as "I was today years old when I learned that…" is a great way to start off the month.
Mándinrùh wrote: 04 Dec 2021 00:16 Image Atili: vidzit-vadzet - ideophone for a person going about angrily. Etymologically, it is a reduplicated form of vadzet "anger" with a vowel alteration.
Excellent!
Creyeditor:
Spoiler:
Creyeditor wrote: 01 Dec 2021 17:09 Kobardon
ār /ár/ interj Interjection indicating surprise, dissapointment, annoyance, or irritation.
Creyeditor wrote: 02 Dec 2021 08:22 Kobardon

/vá/ interj yes, indeed, of course, correct
Creyeditor wrote: 03 Dec 2021 14:43 Kobardon
eke /èkè/ interj ick, yikes, ugh, ack, ew, argh, gak (interjection used for disgust or anger)
Creyeditor wrote: 04 Dec 2021 00:51 Kobardon
nōnō interj hello, hi, hey (used for greetings or to draw attention to something)
Very nice! I'm sorry I don't have much more to say so far, but I look forward to seeing more.
Shemtov:
Spoiler:
Shemtov wrote: 01 Dec 2021 17:40 I'll participate with Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ, which, though I haven't been posting on in over a month, I have been thinking about; it's just IRL stuff has gotten in the way.
Lexember 1: Pïùˀ /pʰju˩˧/ "Syllable; Syllable block in writing system"
Regarding the opening line here, that's very understandable. I'm sure many of us, myself included, have been in similar positions lately.
Shemtov wrote: 02 Dec 2021 20:06 Day 2:

Zhˀȁʳ / ʈ͡ʂɛ:˧˩/:
1. V. To whisper
2. N. An utterance that is not completely heard.
3. N. Consonant (writing system)
Shemtov wrote: 05 Dec 2021 16:49 Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ continued:
Day 3:
Lhóʰ /ɬo˥˧/
1. V. To breath
2. N. Breath
3. Vowel sign

Day 4:
Hèʳ-zhˀȁʳ /xe:˩ ʈ͡ʂɛ:˧˩/:
N. Final consonant (in writing)
I like this series of words related to the writing system!
kiwikami:
Spoiler:
kiwikami wrote: 01 Dec 2021 21:33 Alright. Time to actually participate consistently for once! (...maybe)

Alál
maıḷ /mɐjt͡ɬ/ or ṭḷ /ǁ/
Interjection; expression of surprise, particularly when an event known to be unlikely to occur has done so.

Ṭḷ Tuhùukàx! "Wow, you hunted and caught something!"
Mulas maıḷ! "I did (and didn't think I could)!"

-
 This may humorously be declined as if derived from some root MAḶ2 in class A2:

maıḷ|maḷa|maúḷ /mɐjt͡ɬ / /mɐd͡ɮ/ /mʕut͡ɬ /
 Noun (AGT|OBL|PAT); completed petty task (self-deprecating or sarcastic)
Best of luck to you! Lexember is certainly a challenge.

Also, I love almost any usage description that includes the word "humorously"!
kiwikami wrote: 03 Dec 2021 10:08 Alál: Day 3
LAL1vŕ·ḲMAM3
AGT lâlaḳmíma [ɬa'ɬɑŋmim]
OBL lálâḳmam ['ɬaɮaŋmɑm]
PAT lálâḳmuma ['ɬaɮaŋmom]
Vocal chords, vocal folds.
- Declension class A3 | Handling class mı/la
- From LAL1 'language', √ḲMAM 'thread, rope, sinew, lightning'.

"Ak·lálâḳmam rııhìrakı." [ɐk 'ɬaɮaŋmɑm rɛj'çerəgɪ] "He has vocal fold paralysis."
"Lı·Razlasùlıaı xaırraı lazálâ·ḳmuma." [ɬɛ rɐʃɬə's̪oɮjəj 'xɐjrəj ɬə'ʃaɮaŋmom] "My vocal chords hurt from singing too much."
kiwikami wrote: 06 Dec 2021 01:27 Alál: Day 4
TAḲ2vr̀·MIR2
AGT taḳìlmır [t̪ɐ'ŋelmɪr]
OBL taḳìlmarı [t̪ɐ'ŋelmərɪ]
PAT taḳìlmıúr [t̪ɐ'ŋelmjur]
Polyglot, multilingual person
- Declension class I2 | Handling class ku
- From TAḲ2 'two', √LMIR 'tongue, petal (of flower), paintbrush'

Lakìttaḳalí lual mú taḳìlmır. [ɬɐ'ket̪əŋəɮi ɬfɐl mu t̪ɐ'ŋelmɪr] "The polyglot speaks both Alál and Mū."
These are particularly fun, etymologically speaking!
spanick:
Spoiler:
Glad to see more of Weddisch, especially since all of my Germanic projects are currently in the process of being reworked thoroughly enough to make them unusable for Lexember this year. I'm a fan of Yemya as well.
spanick wrote: 02 Dec 2021 17:42 Day 2: Weddisch
[…]

Bonus Word
glik /ɡlɪk/
1. smart, intelligent, quick-witted
Probably a borrowing from Celtic (cf. Proto-Celtic *glikkis; Scottish Gaelic glic; Scots gleg). A common synonym is klóek /kǀøːk/ borrowed from Middle Low German klôk (cf. Modern German klug).

Yemya
baśa /bɑçɑ/ “word”
Oh nice, a (probable) Celtic loanword! Without the etymology, I might have assumed a connection to German Glück.

Are baśa and Day 1's baś related to Sanskrit भाषा?

Also, this is likely just nit-picking, but I assume that the second phoneme in /kǀøːk/ being a dental click /ǀ/ rather than a voiced alveolar lateral approximant /l/ is an error, correct?
spanick wrote: 04 Dec 2021 20:03 Lexember 4

Weddisch
gedaat
/ɡədaːt/
1. rhetorical question particle, can be translated as “who knows” or “I don’t know” to indicate either that anything is possible or that anyone other than the speaker knows the answer to a question.

Ex:
Ven vil hù hyve?
Gedaat…

“When will she get married?”
“Who knows…”

Derived from the OE phrase God wāt “God knows” progressively contracted to its present form.

Yemya
yakhaya
/jɑkʰɑjɑ/
1. to recite
2. to cast a spell
3. to murmur
I love the etymology of gedaat, and for whatever reason, yakhaya just "feels" like a nice, fitting word for "to recite, to cast a spell, to murmur".
Jackk:
Spoiler:
To avoid likely repeating a lot of my comments from the end of last year's Lexember, I'll try not to ramble on too much here, but I've been completely blown away by every single one of your posts so far, as always. Boral is unquestionably one of my favorite a posteriori conlangs, both here on the CBB and just in general, and it's been lovely getting to see you develop the language and the world in which it's spoken over the past however many years.
Jackk wrote: 05 Dec 2021 00:30 coronc /koˈrɔnk/ [kʊˈʀɔŋk]
- pretender, claimant to a throne;
- impostor, fraud, person under a false identity or professing false qualifications;
- hypocrite, person whose words and deeds diverge

Etymology: uncertain, but old—the first meaning of "claimant" is attested from the ninth century during the ascendancy of Dane Borland. One theory proposes a connection with coroun "crown, kingship" < Latin corōna "garland, wreath, crown", perhaps via a diminutive *corōnucula, although the accent being on the second syllable is hard to explain (we would expect coronoil in this case). Another links it to the Dane rule and suggests dissimilation from earlier *conong < Norse konungr "king".
So far, this is probably my favorite Boral word from this year's Lexember, in part due to the uncertainty regarding its origins. I enjoy the amount of detail you put into the "etymology" sections of all your posts, of course.
Dormouse559:
Spoiler:
I'm always happy to see more of Silvish, and I've enjoyed being able to compare the different "accents".
Dormouse559 wrote: 02 Dec 2021 06:44 1é d' leksembro - Silvish

Li Bondyê lo/la boute en bon repô - "God rest his/her/their soul"; inserted after a reference to a person to indicate they are dead

Me mare — li Bondyê la boute en bon repô — me dixiva toujjhour ke menjho pâ la nef jhauna.
1S-POSS.NOM.F.N mother-NOM | DEF-NOM.M.N god 3S-ACC.M/3S-ACC.F put-PRS_SJV in good.M.C rest | 1S-ACC say-IPF-3S always SBRD eat-1S NEG DEF-ACC.F.C snow yellow-ACC.F.C
My mother — God rest her soul — always told me not to eat the yellow snow.

Because I'm thinking about it, here are tentative ideas on how speakers from a few different Silvish towns would transcribe and pronounce the example in their own accents. The second bit is probably most interesting since it shows the weirdness that happens with <x> and <jh>.
Spoiler:
Moûtiers (accent I usually use for pronunciation)
Me mâr — li Bondyê la boût in bon repô — me dijiva toujjoû ke minjo pâ la nef jon̄a.
[məˈmɑːʁ | li.bɔ̃ˈdjɛː laˈbuːt ɛ̃m.bɔ̃ŋ.ʁəˈpɔː | me.diˈʒi.va tuˈʒuː kəˈmɛ̃ɲ̟.ʒə ˈpɑː laˈnɛf ˈʒo.ŋa]

Aime-la-Plagne
Me mare — li Bondyê la boute ê bon repô — me dijiva touzzhoû ke mêzho pâ la nef zhon̄a.
[məˈma.ʁə | li.bɔ̃ˈdjɛː laˈbu.tə ɛː.bɔ̃ŋ.ʁəˈpɔː | me.diˈʒi.va tuˈðuː kəˈmɛː.ðə ˈpɑː laˈnɛf ˈðo.ŋa]

Bourg-Saint-Maurice
Me mare — li Bondjê la boute ê bon repô — me diziva touddzour ke mêdzo pâ la nef dzon̄a.
[məˈma.ʁə | li.bɔ̃ˈd͡ʒɛː laˈbu.tə ɛː.bɔ̃ŋ.ʁəˈpɔː | me.diˈzi.va tuˈd͡zuʁ kəˈmɛː.d͡zə ˈpɑː laˈnɛf ˈd͡zo.ŋa]

Beaufort
Më marë — li Bondyê la boutë en bon répô — me diziva touzzdour kë minzdö pâ la nef zdon̄a.
[meˈma.re | li.bɔ̃ˈdjɛː laˈbu.te ɛ̃m.bɔ̃ŋ.ʁeˈpɔː | me.diˈzi.va tuˈzduʁ keˈmɛ̃n.zdo ˈpɑː laˈnɛf ˈzdo.ŋa]

La Thuile
Më marë — li Bondjî la botë in bon répoû — me didzéyva touddjor kë mindjö pâ la nif djaoun̄a.
[meˈma.re | li.bɔ̃ˈd͡ʒiː laˈbo.te ɛ̃m.bɔ̃ŋ.ʁeˈpuː | me.diˈd͡zej.va tuˈd͡ʒɔʁ keˈmɛ̃n.d͡ʒo ˈpɑː laˈnif ˈd͡ʒaw.ŋa]
First of all, I love the word for God being, presumably, derived from "good God". I'm fairly certain I've seen this in some natural Romance languages and/or French-based creoles, and there's just something about it that I can't get enough of.

Second, I always appreciate funny example sentences.

Finally, since the spelling you've used to represent the pronunciation characteristic of Moûtiers (the capital, if I remember correctly) isn't the same as the "standard" spelling, am I correct in assuming that standard Silvish orthography is meant to be at least somewhat representative of a broader range of dialects?
Dormouse559 wrote: 03 Dec 2021 07:50 2 d' leksembro - Silvish

profetixé dyen lo kan - to steal the limelight; to toot one's own horn (lit. "to prophesy in the camp")

Based on the story of Eldad and Medad, forms of this phrase can be used either to avoid the appearance of bragging when talking positively about yourself or to ironically point out that you are bragging.
Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Dec 2021 22:20 3 d' leksembro
seçhé (de) v - to be obsessed (with) (< seçhé "to dry"; apparently from humor theory, perhaps in reference to melancholy, which is connected with dryness and perfectionism)
Oh, very nice! These two entries stood out to me in particular because of the accompanying etymological notes.
VaptuantaDoi:
Spoiler:
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 02 Dec 2021 09:23 Starting a day late cause I realised I had no idea which languages to use.

Añoþnın

ñañe [ˈɲɐɲe] adv. Later on in the same day; some speakers only use it to mean "that afternoon", but generally it can be any time of the day later than a previous event. From Middle Chusach ɲɐɲɾɪ "afterwards", Archaic Chusach ñēñara, Proto-Bechsukchwan *di̯éu̯dege "moreover, in addition".

beɂ [ˈbɪʔ] v. (underlying form beni) Swim. Middle Chusach bɪɾ, Archaic Chusach barā, Proto-Bechsukchwan *gagu̯ái̯.
Ñañe ısbeʔko čıñkıʔ u
[ˈɲɐɲe ˈʔʉzbɪk’o ˈt͡ʃʉɲkʉʔ ʔu]
ñañe ıs-benı-ko čıñike-nı u
later PAST.IMPFV-swim-1SG jetty-ADP ADPOS
"Later on in the day, I went swimming by the jetty."

Hohetłéneyéyesénı Lohılwéh

yeyené [d͡ʒé.d͡ʒè.né] adv. Afterwards, at a later time. Proto-Hoh-Loh *dʒédʒèɾé, Archaic Chusach ñēñara, Proto-Bechskukchwan *di̯éu̯dege "moreover, in addition".

'enó [ʔé.nó] v. Swim. Proto-Hoh-Loh *kéɾó, Archaic Chusach barā, Proto-Bechsukchwan *gagu̯ái̯.

Sekai

efé /è.ɸé/ adv. So; used as a discourse marker to show that the speaker is about to say something. Proto-Nomadic *i̯ái̯hé "so, thus", Proto-Bechsukchwan *di̯éu̯dege "moreover, in addition".

afé /à.ɸé/ v. Swim on your stomach (rather than your back). Proto-Nomadic *hàhé "swim on the stomach", Proto-Bechsukchwan *gagu̯ái̯ "swim".

Ckyo·ka

ya·cɨn /ʎ̥˔aː.xɨn/ interj. Bullshit, that's cap; interjection to call out what the speaker thinks is untrue. Literally "bird's piss" (as birds don't urinate to conserve water), from ya·co "urine" + -ɨn bird classifier suffix.

tlocta /t͡ɬɔ.xta/ interj. No kidding!; interjection to show that the speaker believes what has been said but is surprised. Unknown etymology.
Regarding the "opening line" here, that's completely understandable!

It's interesting to compare Añoþnın, Hohetłéneyéyesénı Lohılwéh, and Sekai, given their relationship to one another!

Also, "bird's piss" is a fun etymology.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 03 Dec 2021 08:17 Añoþnın
bunoþkes [ˈbunɔθkɪs] v.intr. (Underlying form bunonotıkesa) To swear/curse. MC buɾnɔtkɪs, from buɾnɔ "to blaspheme" + intensifier -tkɪs; buɾnɔ from AC dūrunu (apparently some dialectal form *būrunu), in turn from PB *dúdugu, a partial reduplication of *dúgu "mumble, mutter". The MC suffix -tɨksɐ~-tkɪs from AC *tākasē "do something again", PB *tákateu̯ "tie again". Compare buno "to say something impolite or awkward" from buɾnɔ; -tkes~-þkes~-tıhsa~-þıhsa is still a productive suffix, so this can also be analysed as a synchronic derivation.
Isbunoþkesñı ñiñ kaɂ ñi ku, nek ınsıbnoɂtıhes señ
[ˈʔʉzbunɔθkɪzɲɵ ˈɲiɲ kɐʔ ɲi ˈku | ˈnɪk ˈʔʉnzʉbnɔt’ʉhɪs ˈsɪɲ]
ıs-bunonotıkesa-ñı ñiñ kaɂ ñi ku, nek ınsı-bunonotıkesa-∅ señ
PAST.IMPFV-swear-2SG 3SG.ADPOS when 3SG.TON baby, thus NONP.IMPFV-swear-3SG always
"You would swear at him when he was a baby, so now he swears all the time!"

'wenunwé [ʔwé.nùŋ.wé], dial. 'wenukwé [ʔwé.nù.kʷé] v.intr. To shout in pain, to scream. PHL *kúɾuɾú, from AC *būrunu, a dialectal variant of *dūrunu, from PB *dúdugu "to say something incoherent", reduplicated from *dúgu "mutter" (whence AC dūnu, PHL *núɾu → HL nwenu~kwenu "mutter")

Sekai
tátê /tátê/ v. Bundle together, collect. PN *tátái̯ "tighten", PB *tákateu̯ "tie again".

Ckyo·ka
i·grɨ /iː.ɡ͡ʟ̝ɨ/ interj. An informal greeting. n. Honour, consistency. From i·a- "be the same, not change" + -grɨ human classifier.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2021 00:26 Añoþnın
čıče [t͡ʃʉ.t͡ʃe] vintr. (Underlying čıtıse.) To talk about something, (with ind.obj.) to talk about, discuss casually. MC tʃɨtsɪ, AC cātisa, dissimilated from earlier cācisa; from PB *ki̯ákiti̯a, an irregular partial reduplication of *ki̯áti̯a "speak" (compare a different reduplication *ki̯áti̯ati̯a "ask", giving čıse, although unmodified *ki̯áti̯a was not continued in AC).
Ñıčsıhču ısčıčeþ čı ıñıñkıþ iñe čı ısbano añsuþ aɂkıɂ.
[ˈɲʉt͡ʃsʉht͡ʃu ˈʔʉst͡ʃʉt͡ʃɪθ t͡ʃɵ ˈʔʉɲʉɲkʉθ ˈʔiɲe t͡ʃɵ ˈʔʉzbɐno ˈʔɐɲzuθ ˈʔɐk’ʉʔ]
ñı-čısıkaču ıs-čıtıse-te čı ıñı-ñekı-te inoñe čı ıs-banuno-∅ añesuto anoke-nı su
PL-person PAST.IMPFV-talk.about-3PL REL NONP.PFV-handle-3PL man REL PAST.PFV-shoot-3SG son bow-ADP with
"The people were discussing what to do with the man who shot his son with a bow."

sosihé [só.sì.hé] vintr. To talk about, discuss, reference. PHL *tsótsìsé, from AC cācisa (not dissimilated as in Añoþnın); from PB *ki̯ákiti̯a, an irregular partial reduplication of *ki̯áti̯a "speak".

Sekai
kása /ká.sà/ vintr. To talk, speak. vtr. To say (something). PN *kásà, from PB *ki̯áti̯a "speak".

Ckyo·ka
ajoyo· /a.ɟɔ.ʎ̥˔ɔː/ vtr. To shout (something), to say (something) loudly.
I love the mentions of dialectal variants, dissimilation, irregularities, and things like that here!
I Lorik:
Spoiler:
I Lorik wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:50 Lexember 2nd - Lohdan
bîtav ['bi:tɑv] Noun
1. conversation
2. speech, discourse
Etymology: nominalized form of the verb bîtar, "to speak", "to say"
Given other pairs of related words, like vidrûnar and vidrûnav from Day 4, it seems like replacing the final -r of a verb with -v is a common nominalization strategy, so to speak. Is this the case, or have I misinterpreted things?
I Lorik wrote: 04 Dec 2021 02:08 Lexember 3rd - Lohdan
ic [ik] - Interjection expressing disgust
drunno ['drũ:no] - Dictionary, lexicon (literally: "book of words")
tarûdiv [tɑ'ɾu:div] - List
How do you say "book" and "word(s)" on their own, if I might ask?
Khemehekis:
Spoiler:
Khemehekis wrote: 03 Dec 2021 05:41 All right, let's start growing Shaleyan's vocabulary!
Oh, it's a nice surprise to have you as a participant this year!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

LCV categories for Week 2:

Around the House (Part IV)
Spoiler:
fork
spoon
knife
chopsticks
plate
bowl
bowl (for rice)
bowl (big round dish)
bowl (mixing bowl)
dishes
glass
glass (for wine)
cup
cup (paper)
handle (of a cup)
chair
table
candle
pot (for cooking)
pot (for coffee)
pan, saucepan
frying pan
refrigerator, fridge
stove (for cooking)
stove (for heating)
oven
cupboard
door (of cupboard)
counter
sink (in kitchen)
match
bed
pillow
blanket
alarm clock
brush
comb
soap
soap (for the shower)
bubble (from soap)
towel
toilet
sink (in bathroom)
faucet
drain
razor (non-electric)
razor (electric)
mirror
perfume
make-up
lipstick (substance)
lipstick (applicator)
powder
sofa, couch
clock
painting
portrait
landscape
frame
paint (for wall, etc.)
light
key (for car, computer, etc.)
key (for lock on the door to a building)
lock (on door)
lock (on gate)
needle
pin (sharp object)
string
thread
trap
brick
fence (wooden)
fence (stone)
fence (wire)
ladder
wire (metal)
wire (electric)
lawn
board
More Objects Around the House (Part V)
Spoiler:
tile (on floor)
tile (on walls)
tile (on roof)
carpet
wallpaper
fan (electric)
kettle (on stove)
kettle (electric)
teapot (for black tea)
teapot (for green tea)
napkin (paper)
napkin (cloth)
placemat
tablecloth
high chair
tray (for food)
microwave
freezer (as compartment of refrigerator)
straw
saucer
spatula
timer
can opener
dishwasher
detergent (for dishes)
cloth (for kitchen)
paper towel
blender
coffee maker
foil (tin/aluminum)
garbage can (in kitchen)
blinds
comforter
sheet (on bed)
mattress
dresser
drawer
poster (for decoration)
nightstand
pillowcase
hamper
incense
lava lamp
cradle
crib
bottle (for baby)
pacifier
bathtub
sponge
shower
showerhead
shower curtain
toilet paper
dispenser
cabinet (storage case)
deodorant
antiperspirant
shaving cream
aftershave
contact lens solution
clippers (for nails)
gel
moisturizer
dye (for hair)
sunscreen
toothbrush
toothpaste
dental floss
mascara
polish (for nails)
cologne
shampoo
body wash, shower gel
hair conditioner
hairspray
eyeliner
eye shadow
blusher
lotion (cosmetic)
mouthwash
curling iron
hair dryer, blow-dryer
scale (for bathroom)
stuffed animal
teddy bear
piece of furniture
cushion
futon
armchair
curtain
tissue
aquarium, tank
typewriter
wastebasket
burglar alarm
fire alarm
radiator
fireplace
fire, bonfire
rug
bookshelf
vase
sewing machine
vacuum cleaner
plug (connector with pins)
plug (socket)
outlet
cord
lamp
light bulb
switch
washing machine
detergent (for clothes)
dryer
drain cleaner
pot (for plant)
insecticide
fire extinguisher
flashlight
hose
barbecue
sprinkler
sprinkler (in contexts of fire safety)
lawnmower
hammock
mailbox (of a house)
garbage can (outside house)
garage door opener
satellite dish
Parts of the House (Part IV)
Spoiler:
basement, cellar
bathroom (for bath)
bathroom (for washing hands)
bedroom
ceiling
chimney
closet (for clothes)
closet (for storing bedding)
dining room
door (on hinge)
door (sliding)
bell (on a door)
handle (of a door)
floor
floor, story
furniture
garage
gate
hall, hallway, corridor
kitchen
living room
pipe (for gas, water)
porch
roof (on which one can stand)
roof (on which one cannot stand)
room
stairs
thatch (straw)
thatch (reeds)
wall
window
yard
to install (machinery)
to install (computer)
to install (bathroom, kitchen)
to install (wires, pipes)
to install (phone)
to install (washing machine)
More Parts of the House (Part V)
Spoiler:
attic
driveway
office, study
The Workplace (Part IV)
Spoiler:
work (place of employment)
work (workplace)
work (Tina came home late from ~ last night)
business, corporation
job (full-time)
part-time job
employment, work
position
living (noun)
career
opening (in a job)
inquiry (about advertisement)
to apply (for a job)
application (for job)
résumé
skill
to process (someone’s application)
interview
to interview
recommendation (by employer)
to employ (worker)
to employ (staff)
to train (an employee)
to hire
to promote (in a job or school)
to fire
to lay off (temporarily)
to lay off (permanently)
to quit, to leave (a job)
to resign
to miss (work)
to recruit (employees)
to incorporate (company)
promotion (in rank)
to work
to work (be employed: Carly ~s at Bank of America)
to be at work (be working at the moment)
to assign (a task)
to run (a business)
to run (a store or hotel)
to direct (company)
to choose, to pick, to select (a career)
to seek (employment)
to promote (one’s business, a product/new book)
to expand (business)
to expand (company)
to expand (market)
wage, salary
minimum wage
paycheck
payday
strike
unemployment (state)
unemployment (rate)
schedule
efficient (of method)
service (treatment in a hotel/restaurant)
to hold (a position)
to open (of a store)
to close (of a store)
open (of a store)
closed (of a store)
to hold (a meeting)
professional (~ dancer)
senior (~ position)
absent (from work)
present (at work)
absent (from meeting)
present (at meeting)
expansion (of services)
retirement (act of retiring)
retirement (act of retiring: of self-employed person)
retirement (act of retiring: of a soldier)
retirement (act of retiring: of a civil servant)
retirement (act of retiring: of an athlete)
retirement (state of being retired)
retirement (state of being retired: of self-employed person)
retirement (state of being retired: of a soldier)
retirement (state of being retired: of a civil servant)
retirement (state of being retired: of an athlete)
background (professional)
desk
at work (at one’s place of employment)
Tools (Part IV)
Spoiler:
chain
hammer
saw
shovel
handle (of a tool)
More Tools (Part V)
Spoiler:
adze
awl
axe
bolt
chisel (for wood)
lever
masking tape
measuring tape
nail
nut (for bolt)
pump (for water)
rake
ramp
sandpaper
Scotch tape
screw
screwdriver
tack
vise
wedge
wrench
People -- a category that includes occupations (Part IV)
Spoiler:
person, people*
person, people (of specific demographic: young ~, rich ~, Asian ~)
people (won the support of the American ~)
individual
fetus
newborn
baby*
toddler
child*
girl (female child)*
boy (male child)*
kid (children and teens inclusive)
teen-ager, teen, adolescent
girl (young woman)*
boy (young man)*
youth (young people collectively)
twentysomething
thirtysomething
adult
woman*
man*
married woman
married man
senior, senior citizen, elder
corpse
lady
guy, fellow
lady (gentlewoman)
gentleman
folks
resident, inhabitant
actress
actor
artist
astronaut
athlete
author, writer (in general)
author (of a particular written work)
baker
carpenter
chef, cook
clown
dancer
dentist
detective (private)
detective (for PD)
director (of movies)
doctor, physician
driver (of bus)
driver (of taxi)
editor (of newspaper)
editor (of magazine)
engineer
farmer (of small farm)
farmer (of large farm)
firefighter
fisherman (for a living)
guard
hunter (for a living)
journalist, reporter (for newspaper)
journalist, reporter (for magazine)
judge (in a court)
lawyer, attorney
musician
nurse
photographer
plumber
police officer, cop
politician
postal officer, postman
priest
producer (of TV show)
producer (of movie)
producer (of play)
prosecutor
prostitute, hooker
sailor
sailor (in navy)
scientist
secretary (typist, receptionist, etc.)
sheriff (in Wild West)
sheriff (modern)
singer
soldier
spy
waitress, waiter, server
warrior
worker (laborer)
worker (someone who does work in any specified field)
volunteer (in military)
volunteer (worker)
volunteer (helper)
graduate (from high school)
graduate (from college)
educator
teacher (at a primary school)
teacher (at a secondary school)
professor
researcher (one who studies)
assistant
assistant (in store)
boss, employer
candidate
captain (of ship)
captain (of airplane/helicopter)
captain (of team)
CEO
chair, chairwoman, chairman
chair, chairwoman, chairman (of a university department)
chief (tribal)
colonel
commander
correspondent
deputy
donor (of money)
donor (of blood, sperm, organs)
executive
founder
general
guardian (protector)
guardian (person with the legal role of parent)
guest (on a radio/TV show)
host (of a radio/TV show)
landlord
leader, head (of country)
leader, head (of party)
lord, master
officer (in military)
officer (in local government)
official (public employee)
official (director)
patient
pilot
president (of a company)
vice-president (of a company)
president (of an organization)
vice-president (of an organization)
principal
professional (person whose job requires a degree)
professional, pro (athlete)
representative (noun)
scout (military)
secretary (on council, etc.)
secretary (~ of state)
senator
servant
spokeswoman, spokesman
student, pupil (primary school)
student (secondary school)
student (university)
student, pupil (Kareem is Mrs. Huynh’s ~)
voter
queen (regnant)
queen (consort)
king
princess (monarch’s daughter)
princess (of a principality)
prince (monarch’s son)
prince (of a principality)
duchess (female duke)
duchess (wife of a duke)
duke
knight
emperor
president (of a country)
vice-president
prime minister, PM
dictator
first lady
governor
mayor (of a city)
mayor (of a town)
mayor (of a village)
pope
victim
victim (of accident)
prisoner (sentenced)
prisoner (captured)
hostage
slave
peasant
peasant (farmer)
activist
coach (athletic)
audience (people watching a concert)
audience (people at a theater)
audience (people watching a movie)
audience (people watching a TV show)
audience (body of listeners)
character
narrator
citizen (of country)
citizen (of city)
civilian
client
client (of lawyer)
critic
customer
employee
enemy (in war)
enemy
acquaintance, friend
friend (person with mutual liking and shared fun)*
friend (very close and special friend)
friend, comrade (person with a business, activity, or affiliative commonality)
buddy, pal
girlfriend
boyfriend
sweetheart
bride
bridegroom
neighbor
immigrant (new)
immigrant (already established)
manager (of company)
manager (of shop/restaurant/hotel)
manager (of athletic team)
manager (of talent)
participant
classmate
colleague, coworker
partner (in game)
partner (for school project)
partner (professional)
partner (in dancing)
partner (in crime)
peer (in age)
peer (in status)
advocate
supporter
supporter (of campaign)
supporter (of policy, system)
supporter (of sports team)
opponent
opponent (of campaign)
opponent (of policy, system)
opponent (in a game)
reader
listener (to music)
listener (in conversation)
speaker (in conversation)
speaker (of a language)
owner
guest (at house)
guest (at party)
guest (at hotel)
hostess, host (at house)
hostess, host (of party)
visitor (to museum, etc.)
protestor
driver (of car)
passenger (in car)
passenger (in taxi)
passenger (in bus)
passenger (on train)
passenger (on boat)
passenger (on airplane/spacecraft)
fisherman (for recreation)
hunter (for sport)
liar
burglar
thief
killer
assassin
assassin (hired)
criminal
bully
bully (at school)
terrorist
investigator (of a crime)
investigator (into a phenomenon)
witness
witness (at trial)
agent (government ~)
agent (acting person)
celebrity, star
star (leading person: the ~s of the film)
champion
consumer
coward
expert
fan, aficionado
fighter (for cause)
freak
genius
hero
jerk
loser (in game/sport)
loser (in election)
lover (person who loves something)
lover (paramour)
member (of family)
member (of club)
member (of party)
saint
survivor (of illness, accident)
survivor (of abuse, divorce)
suspect
tourist
virgin (female)
virgin (male)
winner (in game/sport)
winner (in election)
winner (in lottery)
winner, victor (military)
winner (of prize)
idiot, fool, dope
alien, outsider
foreigner
stranger
player (of a game)
speaker (at conference)
rebel (against government, regime)
rebel (against society, norms)
veteran
vampire
Miss
Mrs.
Ms.
Mr.
Dr. (title for doctor)
Dr. (title for anyone with a doctorate degree)
St.
ma’am (to younger woman)
ma’am (to older woman)
sir (to younger man)
sir (to older man)
si (introducing particle for proper names)
More People (Part V)
Spoiler:
accountant (certified accountant)
accountant (person in charge of accounting)
announcer
architect
astrologer
astronomer
baby-sitter
banker
bank teller
barista
bartender
bellboy
bishop (Catholic)
bishop (Protestant)
bishop (Anglican/Episcopalian)
bishop (Buddhist)
blacksmith
brewer
bricklayer
businesswoman, businessman
butcher
cashier
comedian
composer
computer programmer
conductor (of music)
construction worker
counselor
cowboy
dean
dental assistant
dental hygienist
dermatologist
developer (of software)
DJ
drug dealer (small-scale)
drug dealer (large-scale)
electrician
explorer
exterminator
fashion designer
flight attendant
florist
fortune-teller
guard (prison)
hairdresser, barber
homemaker, housewife
inspector (weapons ~)
inspector (of factory, bar)
inspector (police ~)
interpreter
inventor
janitor
judge (in a competition)
librarian
lifeguard (at swimming pool)
lifeguard (at beach)
maid
maid (for hotel)
mechanic
merchant
miner
miner (for coal)
missionary
model (for fashion)
model (for artist)
nun
monk
obstetrician
operator (at telephone exchange)
operator (at switchboard)
orthodontist
painter (artist)
paramedic
pediatrician
pimp
pirate
poet
psychiatrist
psychologist
receptionist (at hotel or hospital)
receptionist (at firm)
salesperson, clerk (at store)
salesperson (traveling)
scribe
sculptor
shaman, witch doctor
shepherd
social worker
songwriter
specialist (doctor)
stripper
surgeon
tailor
telemarketer
therapist
trader (of goods)
trainer (for sports, fitness)
truck driver
veterinarian
wet nurse
bassist
guitarist (acoustic)
guitarist (electric)
drummer
lead singer
advisor, consultant
advisor (political)
ambassador (diplomatic agent)
ambassador (special envoy)
analyst (financial)
bodyguard
bouncer
cheerleader
diplomat
follower (of religion, religious leader)
follower (of a politician)
goalkeeper, goalie
investor
messenger (deliverer)
messenger (errand-runner)
quarterback
referee, umpire
sergeant
shopper
skateboarder
sponsor (for game/event)
sponsor (for program/show)
sponsor (for charity)
sponsor (for bill)
treasurer
warlord
superintendent
vice-principal
assistant-principal
administrator
teacher’s assistant, TA
scholar (an academic)
scholar (Rhodes ~)
apprentice
intern
intern (medical)
mistress
foster child
foster parent
godmother
godfather
heiress/heir
companion
companion (traveling)
mentor
rival
roommate
tenant (of rented lodgings)
tenant (of leasehold)
guide
traveler (person who is traveling)
traveler (person who often travels)
viewer
defendant (in a criminal case)
defendant (in a civil case)
bridesmaid
commuter (to/from work)
commuter (to/from school)
hypocrite
icon
idol (teen ~)
refugee
traitor
villain, rogue
hermit
nomad
outcast
outlaw
robber
pioneer (early settler)
pioneer (of science)
revolutionary
prophet (messenger of God)
prophet (predictor of the future)
oracle (person)
philosopher
intellectual
mystic
martyr
pilgrim
patriot
tyrant
mummy
superhero
wizard
zombie
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

shimobaatar wrote: 06 Dec 2021 02:56 I don't know how much I've seen of Atili before now, but I'm already fond of how it looks and sounds.
Probably not much, I've only just managed to nail down enough grammar to be able to say anything interesting in it. Though I did participate in the XIV conlang relay, so once that's wrapped I'll put that (somewhat substantial) text up with a recording. I have a mostly up-to-date grammar and a significantly less up-to-date lexicon on my website.

Image Atili: vitavahna /ˌvi.tʌˈvɑχ.nʌ/ - glassblower (etym. vita "bottle, glass" + vah "make" + -na nominalizer). Glassblowing is a highly valued artform in Teremi culture, and the Teremi nobility love to show off their newest acquisitions, from baubles to fancy winebottles or even personal accoutrements like jewelry or headpieces. The Plaza of Fire in the Teremi capitol of Temrabolya is surrounded by various glassblowers and smithies.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 5

kadel: floor, story

Note 1: In Shaleyan, floors are numbered as per the American system, not the British system.

Note 2: In Shaleyan, something is ON a floor IN a building.

Yeph hekhem an duden kadel kan yamila dem.
this mall in three-ORD floor on yamila be_located
The yamilas are on the third floor of this mall.

(A yamila is a Shaleyan women's garment that resembles a toga, in case you were wondering.)

BONUS: To translate "third", I worked out how to do ordinal numbers in Shaleyan!

First is supob and second is ñelas. Numbers three through seven cardinal numbers become ordinal by adding -en (for consonant endings): third is duden, fourth is yoken, fifth is minen, sixth is shephen, seventh is phalen. Eight and nine drop their -a and add -en: eighth is yamen and ninth is yinen. Ten and its multiples through ninety simply add -en: tenth is howalen, twentieth is howeden, thirtieth is howoden, fortieth is howekhen, fiftieth is howinen, sixtieth is howephen, seventieth is howelen, eightieth is howamen, ninetieth ishowayen. The amana words, obula, isila, and all the -uka words simply add -n: hundredth is amanan, two hundredth is sadamanan, thousandth is obulan, millionth is isilan, billionth is yokhukhan, and so on.

The numbers eleven, twelve, twenty-one, and twenty-two add -en, so eleventh is howalilen, twelfth is howalesaden, twenty-first is howedilen, twenty-second is howedasaden, and nine hundredth eleventh is yinahamana, howalilen. Numbers thirty-one through ninety-one that have a one in the ones place, as well as numbers ending in -01, change il to supob, so thirty-first is howod, supob, sixty-first is howeph, supob, one hundred first is amana supob, and one hundred fifty-first is amana, howin, supob. Numbers thirty-two through ninety-two that have a two in the ones place, as well as numbers ending in -02, change sad to ñelas, so thirty-second is howod, ñelas, ninety-second is howay, ñelas, one thousand second is obula ñelas, and two hundred seventy-second is sadamana, howel, ñelas. Numbers with three through nine in the ones place use the ordinal forms duden through yinen, so thirteenth is howaleduden, sixteenth is howaleshephen, twenty-ninth is howedayinen, thirty-third is howod, duden, ninety-eighth is howay, yamen, one hundred and fifth is amana, minen, and seven hundred seventy-seventh is phalamana, howel, phalen.

For reference, here are the cardinal numbers:
Spoiler:
0 nekha
1 il
2 sad
3 dud
4 yokh
5 min
6 sheph
7 phal
8 yama
9 yina
10 howal
11 howalil
12 howalesad
13 howaledud
14 howaleyokh
15 howalemin
16 howalesheph
17 howalephal
18 howaleyama
19 howaleyina
20 howed
21 howedil
22 howedasad
23 howedadud
24 howedayokh
25 howedimin
26 howedasheph
27 howediphal
28 howedayama
29 howedayina
30 howod
31 howod, il
32 howod, sad
33 howod, dud
34 howod, yokh
35 howod, min
36 howod, sheph
37 howod, phal
38 howod, yama
39 howod, yina
40 howekh
41 howekh, il
42 howekh, sad
43 howekh, dud
44 howekh, yokh
45 howekh, min
46 howekh, sheph
47 howekh, phal
48 howekh, yama
49 howekh, yina
50 howin
51 howin, il
55 howin, min
60 howeph
69 howeph, yina
70 howel
75 howel, min
80 howam
90 howay
99 howay, yina
100 amana
101 amana, il
102 amana, sad
110 amana, howal
115 amana, howalemin
120 amana, howed
125 amana, howedimin
150 amana, howin
175 amana, howel, min
200 sadamana
201 sadamana, il
210 sadamana, howal
300 dudamana
365 dudamana, howeph, min
400 yokhamana
500 minamana
501 minamana, il
600 shephamana
700 phalamana
800 yamahamana
900 yinahamana
999 yinahamana, howay, yina
1,000 obula
1,234 obula, sadamana, howed, yokh
1,984 obula, yinahamana, howam, yokh
2,000 sad obula
2,525 sad obula, howedimin 3,000 dud obula
4,000 yokh obula
5,000 min obula
6,000 sheph obula
7,000 phal obula
8,000 yama obula
9,000 yina obula
10,000 howal obula
11,000 howalil obula
12,345 howalesad, dudamana, howekh, min
15,000 howalemin obula
20,000 howed obula
25,000 howedimin obula
30,000 howod obula
31,000 howod, in obula
40,000 howekh obula
50,000 howin obula
65,536 howeph min, obula, howod, sheph
100,000 amana obula
120,000 amana, howed obula
200,000 sadamana obula
300,000 dudamana obula
400,000 yokhamana obula
500,000 minamana obula
600,000 shephamana obula
700,000 phalamana obula
800,000 yamahamana obula
802,701 yamahamana, sad obula, phalamana, il
900,000 yinahamana obula
1,000,000 isila
2,000,000 sad isila
3,000,000 dud isila
4,000,000 yokh isila
5,000,000 min isila
10,000,000 howal isila
12,000,000 howalesad isila
20,000,000 howed isila
30,000,000 howod isila
33,554,432 howod, dud isila, minamana, howin, yokh obula, yokhamana, howod, sad
50,000,000 howin isila
100,000,000 amana isila
200,000,000 sadamana isila
500,000,000 minamana isila
536,870,912 minamana, howod, sheph isila, yamahamana, howel obula, yinahamana, howalesad 1,000,000,000 yokhuka
2,000,000,000 sad yokhuka
5,000,000,000 min yokhuka
10,000,000,000 howal yokhuka
20,000,000,000 howed yokhuka
50,000,000,000 howin yokhuka
100,000,000,000 amana yokhuka
1,000,000,000,000 minuka
4,398,046,511,104 yokh minuka, dudamana, howay, yama yokhuka, howekh, sheph isila, minamana, howalil obula, amana, yokh
10,000,000,000,000 howal minuka
100,000,000,000,000 amana minuka
quadrillion shephuka
ten quadrillion howal shephuka
hundred quadrillion amana shephuka
quintillion phaluka
sextillion yamuka
septillion yinuka
octillion howaluka
nonillion howaliluka
decillion howalesaduka
Last edited by Khemehekis on 09 Dec 2021 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Spoiler:
You've noted that, with a direct object, iyoda can be used to signify that you've, for example, stubbed a toe. Since this is a "new feature" rather than a "new word", though, I assume the verb already had other uses, and I see you've glossed it as "bump". Is it typically intransitive, appearing without a direct object?
The verb iyoda actually means "to poke, push" and always has a direct object - I phrased myself poorly in the explanation. The extension of meaning is the (painful) bumping for body parts.

Lexember 6th - Yélian

èronaku [ˈɛɾonakʉ] - light bulb
Etymology: èronaku "tungsten". The latter is derived from èrog "tin" + naku "fire", because the production of tungsten always needs a lot of tin. The word in the meaning of "light bulb" later became re-analyzed as a coinage of ero "money" + naku "fire", literally "money fire" (as electricity was very expensive back then). However, this is a folk etymology: ero only replaced matir as the word for money in the last one hundred years.

Because light bulbs were such a widespread success, the old word for tungsten was completely overlapped. The metal is now known by its loaned name tunsten.

Reo carla sipuyebet toze on'èronakun pas tao bàtek. Ciquinrest avitnúm tyafadvaloʻi tansécarats.
[ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈkaɾlɐ sɨˌpuːʃəˈbet ˈtoːɟə ɔ̈nˈɛɾɔ̈ˌnaːkʉn pas taʊ̯ ˈbɐtək | kɨˈkinɾəst ɐʋɨtˈnuːm t͡ʃɐɸɐdˈvaːlɔ̈ʔi tɐnˌseːˈkaːɾɐt͡s]
1SG.POSS grandmother still-have.3SG box DEF.GEN=light_bulb-PL on 3SG.FEM.POSS attic | NEG-know-1PLEX where POT-throw_away-INV.3PL properly
My grandmother still has a box of light bulbs on her attic. We don't know where they can be thrown away.

Bonus word for the example sentence:

tansécarats [tɐnˌseːˈkaːɾɐt͡s] - following the law, duly, properly, by the book
Etymology: tanisé "law" + carats "followingly, accordingly"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Leczêmbirèu 6 - Camnorese
arzamner - pen [ˈâr.ˌzá.n̼ər]
arzamnevem - writer [ˈàr.za.ˌn̼ə́vəm]
From arzâme - write. [ˈâr.ˌzɔ̌mə]
ɬék-tep-per 6 - pāˀ-llātʰ
ɣó - house
ɣó jjá-pṹˀ-ɣó āˀrr-ɣétʰ - house outside any village
literally: house between villages
Last edited by Flavia on 06 Dec 2021 14:21, edited 2 times in total.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 6th - Lohdan
vapha ['vɑfɑ] - Broom
vâphar ['vɑ:fɑɾ] - To sweep
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 06 Dec 2021 02:56
I Lorik wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:50 Lexember 2nd - Lohdan
bîtav ['bi:tɑv] Noun
1. conversation
2. speech, discourse
Etymology: nominalized form of the verb bîtar, "to speak", "to say"
Given other pairs of related words, like vidrûnar and vidrûnav from Day 4, it seems like replacing the final -r of a verb with -v is a common nominalization strategy, so to speak. Is this the case, or have I misinterpreted things?
You're correct! Here are some more examples:
dûkar ['du:kɑɾ] Verb
To dwell, to live somewhere
dûkav ['du:kɑv] Noun
1 Stable
2 Dwelling

lînar ['li:nɑɾ] Verb
To sing
lînav ['li:nɑv] Noun
Song

vârir ['vɑ:ɾiɾ] Verb
To walk
vâriv ['vɑ:ɾiv] Noun
Walk
I Lorik wrote: 04 Dec 2021 02:08 Lexember 3rd - Lohdan
ic [ik] - Interjection expressing disgust
drunno ['drũ:no] - Dictionary, lexicon (literally: "book of words")
tarûdiv [tɑ'ɾu:div] - List
How do you say "book" and "word(s)" on their own, if I might ask?
The word for "book" is drun [dɾũ:] and the word for "word" is nolid ['nolid]. In Old Lohdan, drunno was actually two words, drun nolidin, which means "book of words"*. This got worn down to drun-nolid and then the modern word drunno.

*When two nouns are side by side in Lohdan, the second one is considered to be in the genitive. So for example, if valon [vɑ'lõ:] means "sword" and elin [œ'lĩ:] means "elf", valon elin means "elf's sword".
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 6

Weddisch
mêtkleav
/metklɛːv/ ~ /meklɛːv/
1. pantry

From OE mete "food" and clēafa "cleft, room, chasm."

Yemya
brauthra
/bɾaʊtʰɾɑ/
1. pot
2. cauldron

From PIE *bʰrewh₁- "to boil, brew"

Shimo
Spoiler:
Glad to see more of Weddisch, especially since all of my Germanic projects are currently in the process of being reworked thoroughly enough to make them unusable for Lexember this year. I'm a fan of Yemya as well.
As always, thanks for organizing Lexember! I also want to say that I really appreciate that you take the time to give genuine feedback. I have such a hard time doing that, but I am really enjoying seeing everyone's work this year and a new language from you!
Are baśa and Day 1's baś related to Sanskrit भाषा?
Yes, they are. I forgot to post the etymology for those.
Also, this is likely just nit-picking, but I assume that the second phoneme in /kǀøːk/ being a dental click /ǀ/ rather than a voiced alveolar lateral approximant /l/ is an error, correct?
Yes, that;s a total mistake. I've been using a new IPA keyboard for my iPhone and while it's really great, some of the letters are kind of hard to tell apart!
I love the etymology of gedaat, and for whatever reason, yakhaya just "feels" like a nice, fitting word for "to recite, to cast a spell, to murmur".
Ha, thanks! I was inspired for gedaat by "goodbye" and I never thought about the aesthetics of yakhaya when I was making it, but it does seem pretty fitting.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Kobardon

vāp-
vāpa /vápà/ noun chest, box, container
avāp /àváp/ intr I am stored (safely)
avāpo /àvápò/ trans I store s.th., I keep s.th.
vāpat /vápàt/ adv (while) stored safely
vāpar /vápàr/ adj stored safely, durable
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 6

Hannaito (Entry 6):

mëraq /mədaʔ/ [ˈmʲɪ̈.ɾaʔ] (transitive)
Verb:
1. to craft, to fashion, to skillfully create by hand
2. to work, to shape, to form, to manipulate material
3. to modify, to change, to edit
4. to improve, to fortify, to repair, to fix (an object)
5. to sculpt, to carve, to whittle
6. to plow/plough, to till, to cultivate

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *mîdoq "to do, to make, to craft, to produce, to create".

mërappe /mədaʔpe/ [ˈmʲɪ̈.ɾap̚ˌpe]
Noun:
1. shop, workshop, workroom, smithy
2. workbench, forge
3. atelier, studio (of an artist)
4. workplace, place of business (especially of an artisan, craftsperson, or artist)
5. field (for cultivating crops)

Etymology
From mëraq, from Proto-Hannaito *mîdoq "to do, to make, to craft, to produce, to create", + -bei, from Proto-Hannaito *beli "ground, place".
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

shimo:
Spoiler:
Thank you so much for the words of praise and encouragement. [<3] [<3] I cannot overstate how much feedback like this motivates me to keep working on Boral and the Boralverse. I never thought in 2015 that I'd still have stuff to say six years later!

I'm glad you enjoy the uncertain etymologies—they're some of my favourite to write too [:D] (Of course, sometimes my spreadsheet lexicon is somewhat more definitive… (by which I mean I canonise whichever theory I personally like best [xD] ))

I've been really inspired by the polysemy in your entries; I know from experience that coming up with a bunch of novel but plausibly-related meanings for a lemma takes a lot of imagination. I look forward to seeing the rest of your offerings this month (and adapting the best ideas for myself [}:D])!

6m Lexembr
sar marcer /ˈsar marˈtsɛr/ [ˈsɑː mɐːˈdzɛː] trade network, means of transporting goods for sale around a region

Etymology: The noun sar "(fish)net, mesh, network" arrives in Boral from Vascon fishermen in the thirteenth century, one of the many naval words taken therefrom: see hagr “mast” and bakilau “cod”, also from Vask. Its metaphorical extension to general networks is presumably calqued from the similar metaphors in use in neighbouring languages, though in Boral itself this is not attested until 1836. The adjective marcer "commercial, relating to trade goods" is a transparent adjectival derivation of març "trade good", a descendant of Latin merx, with the same meaning.

Si gent oc saun, y sar marcer dourra mal.
/si ʒɛnt ɔk son | i sar marˈtsɛr duˈra mal/
[si ˈʒɛnt ɔ ˈsɔn | i sɑː mɐːˈdzɛː dʊˈʀa maw]
if person s.prx know-3pl | def net commercial hurt-fut.3s bad
If people find out about this, the trade network will be affected badly.

section taken from Agricultural Innovations of the Romaine and Napolitan Heredical Theorists in the Utter Alpine, an 1865 reference book detailing various advances in farming and husbandry during the Long Peace of late eighteenth century. It was written (originally in Borlish as Tarrouçon Saðer dy Theorist Heredical Romagn e Napollesc ny Doutr-Alp) by farm alchemist Thaubrett of Crowmarsh, affiliated with the Institute for Supply in Axbane. It is notable for interspersing various recipes between the technical discussions, to illuminate the scientific principles at work (and for said recipes, on the whole, not being very good).

…with limmon sliced beneath. Serve hot lest the confection be permitted to gel.

But the majority (four parts in five, in accordance with the latest annual reports from the Institute itself) of sugar consumed on Borland is produced in the vicinity. The first attestations of betraver [beet sugar] syrup being produced are all in the sixteenth century; see for example the in experientia writings of Willem theorist Tewis Camigner, wherein the sweetness and 'billrod hue' of beet syrup are noted.

There is a little evidence of commercial production of what we might call 'natural betraver' in Willem during the Romantic Wars and the concomitant disruption to the trade mesh. Its inferiority as compared to cane hindered the growth of any real demand for the substance. Moreover, usual varieties of beet before the Pentrose survey of the 1730s would contain perhaps one part in eighty sugar, far lower than cane.

The importance of the Pentrose survey cannot be overstated. Its crowning glory—the braxoch, a hybrid of Silesian and Cassuvian beets with a characteristic gold colour that Bitom would later incorporate into its standard—is the ancestor to all modern…
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Today's and tommorow's, since I just coined this pair of words:
6&7:
Kwòʰ /kʰwo˧˩/
N. "chisel"

Tïáˀ /tʰja˧˥/
N. Mallet
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Image Atili: nansedëku - harborworker (etym. nansé "seawater" + dëku "worker"). Harborworkers are abundant in any kazba (port-town) or coastal tamal (provincial capital), and even in the great urebat (royal capital) of Temrabolya. They perform a variety of jobs, including unloading trade ships in port and acting as local guides for visitors.

Many harborworkers also act as middlemen who buy the cargo they unload to sell in the local market or to land-merchants for transportation to inland didirinal (towns). This arrangement is convenient for the ship-merchants, who don't need to leave their ships behind to handle such things themselves.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog