Lexember 2021

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Lexember 2021

Post by Lorik »

Glenn wrote: 05 Jan 2022 05:07 Do the preservation techniques need to be renewed periodically by the priests, or does the initial treatment preserve them indefinitely? I suppose if magic of some kind is involved, that might affect the answer. (I ask in part because I remember visiting Lenin’s Tomb in Moscow many years ago, and learning later that Lenin’s body does indeed require periodic touching up.)
Well, as with many things in Tûdav, these preservation techniques are a mix of magic and non-magic (in this specific case, embalming). Because magic doesn't last indefinetely in Tûdav, the preservation techniques do need to be renewed periodically, but they last a pretty long time (50 or more years, depending on how powerful was the mage who last renewed the spells).
Do they go there for ritual purposes, e.g., ceremonies for the worship of Krun?
Yes.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Congratulations to everyone for their progress this Lexember, and a special round of applause for shimo's work in giving feedback on everyone's posts [:D]

shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Interesting! Is there a close-enough IRL equivalent that I could look up to help me get a clearer picture, or will my imagination have to suffice?
Not that I know of, unfortunately. Feel free to pretend I have thought through all the patterning and tailoring in minute detail [B)]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Is "Morrack" equivalent (however roughly) to "Moroccan"?
It is indeed [:)]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 It sounds like Ambrosia is in North America, unless there's another St. Lawrence River I'm unaware of.
Very thorough research! Yes, Ambrosia is a polity in Mendeva [North America], named for King Ambrose III, fifteenth-century monarch of Vascony.
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 My apologies if you've explained this before here on the board, but what is the origin of the name "Cappatia", if I might ask?
I may not have, actually—it's a Latinisation of the Quechua kay pacha "this world, as opposed to the worlds above and below"; more about which see this wikipedia article.
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 I was immediately reminded of ǫrn "eagle". Feathers can be attached to the back of an arrow to stabilize it, eagles have feathers… that's my crackpot theory. [:P]
Entirely possible! (This is a word whose etymology I have genuinely forgotten, haha)
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Is "Bamackon" related to Bamako? What do we call this group of languages IRL, if I might ask?
It is [:D] I'm not sure it refers to a proper clade, but probably something not dissimilar to the Mande and other non-Bantu languages of Niger-Congo.
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 "And after the 31st day, Jackk rested". [:3]
With great alacrity! [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Glenn:
Spoiler:
Glenn wrote: 05 Jan 2022 05:07 I meant to post this earlier, but life offline has been taking priority.
Of course!
Glenn wrote: 05 Jan 2022 05:07 I had the opportunity to finish it in part due to being kept home for a day by a sudden snowstorm (or rather, the ice that followed).
I hope things are alright now, at least relatively speaking.
Glenn wrote: 05 Jan 2022 05:07
shimobaatar wrote: Thank you, and likewise, Happy New Year! I'm glad you were able to join us!
Thank you for all of your kind comments! 😊 I will do my best to answer your questions.
It's my pleasure! Thank you for your responses. [:D]
Do you have an idea of approximately how many people could fit comfortably on an average-sized tionkong or tuhty?
That’s a good question! I think I see the average tionkong as able to accommodate up to two or three people on a side, or eight to twelve people altogether; some might be smaller or larger. The tuhtyial tend to be a bit larger than the tionkongial, to allow for the open area in the middle; some are square, like the tionkongial, while others are more ring-shaped. (The inspiration for the tuhty comes from my time in Kazakhstan, where I first started what became Chusole; the Kazakh host family I lived with when I first arrived had something similar in their home, with a low table in the middle, where they ate their meals.)
Understood!
Do speakers of Chusole without extensive geographical knowledge have a different name for Korhano, or is the implication that they don't really call the region anything?
I added that qualifier at the last minute, with the thought that while some people (the educated, government officials, those whose occupations involve long-distance travel) would likely have an idea of the overall shape of their country and the region in which it is located, the more run-of-the-mill members of the population (farmers, craftsmen, laborers) might be primarily familiar with the geography of their immediate area, with only a hazy idea (if any) of the bigger picture.

(I do have some vague notions regarding education in Kiarlon, with a degree of basic education provided in some cases at local temples; I do not know whether this includes any instruction in geography, however. Officials in the imperial government, on the other hand, are chosen from the graduates of state-sponsored academies; I think that their education is much more likely to include geographic information.)
Ah, that makes sense.
Very interesting! As for <sh ch j>, do both [ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ] and [ɕ t͡ɕʰ t͡ɕ] occur, either in free variation or complementary distribution with one another?
That’s a good question. Part of the reason for my waffling is that I created Chusole with a contrast between palatalized and non-palatalized consonants in most positions, but I pictured palatized /s, ʦ, ʦh/ as merging with their fricative realizations; if those are palatalized, that would yield [ɕ t͡ɕʰ t͡ɕ], but in practice, I generally pronounce them as [ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ]. (Then again, I decided that Chusole would have a series of aspirated and unaspirated stops, with the latter voiced intervocalically (which I then extended to the affricates, since these tend to pattern with the stops), but as an English speaker, I tend to pronounce the unaspirated stops as voiced anyway). I suspect that both variants may occur, possibly depending on different variables, but I am not sure what way I want to go. (I am also not certain how /h/ fits in; it is normally [h] syllable-initially and [x] syllable-finally, but there may well be a separate palatalized phoneme /hj/, which would probably be realized as [ç].
Oh, I think I see what you mean. I know how easy it can be to get a bit stuck on even seemingly small decisions like these. [:)] Best of luck to you, and I hope to see more of Chusole in the future.

Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 05 Jan 2022 13:52 Congratulations to everyone for their progress this Lexember, and a special round of applause for shimo's work in giving feedback on everyone's posts [:D]
Thank you! I'm glad I was able to do so. [<3]
Jackk wrote: 05 Jan 2022 13:52
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Interesting! Is there a close-enough IRL equivalent that I could look up to help me get a clearer picture, or will my imagination have to suffice?
Not that I know of, unfortunately. Feel free to pretend I have thought through all the patterning and tailoring in minute detail [B)]
Oh, but of course! [:P]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 It sounds like Ambrosia is in North America, unless there's another St. Lawrence River I'm unaware of.
Very thorough research! Yes, Ambrosia is a polity in Mendeva [North America], named for King Ambrose III, fifteenth-century monarch of Vascony.
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 My apologies if you've explained this before here on the board, but what is the origin of the name "Cappatia", if I might ask?
I may not have, actually—it's a Latinisation of the Quechua kay pacha "this world, as opposed to the worlds above and below"; more about which see this wikipedia article.
Fascinating!
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 I was immediately reminded of ǫrn "eagle". Feathers can be attached to the back of an arrow to stabilize it, eagles have feathers… that's my crackpot theory. [:P]
Entirely possible! (This is a word whose etymology I have genuinely forgotten, haha)
A true mystery for the ages! [:D]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Is "Bamackon" related to Bamako? What do we call this group of languages IRL, if I might ask?
It is [:D] I'm not sure it refers to a proper clade, but probably something not dissimilar to the Mande and other non-Bantu languages of Niger-Congo.
Ah, got it!
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 "And after the 31st day, Jackk rested". [:3]
With great alacrity! [:D]
[:D] Thank you for all of your responses!
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

I Lorik wrote:Well, as with many things in Tûdav, these preservation techniques are a mix of magic and non-magic (in this specific case, embalming). Because magic doesn't last indefinetely in Tûdav, the preservation techniques do need to be renewed periodically, but they last a pretty long time (50 or more years, depending on how powerful was the mage who last renewed the spells).
Understood; as noted, the presence of magic does make a big difference. Thank you for your explanation!
Jackk wrote:I may not have, actually—it's a Latinisation of the Quechua kay pacha "this world, as opposed to the worlds above and below"; more about which see this wikipedia article.
I have read only a little about Inca cosmology, and I found this article, and the related article on Yanantin, to be quite interesting. Thank you for sharing!
shimobaatar wrote:I hope things are alright now, at least relatively speaking.
Thank you, shimo! We have fortunately been less affected by the inclement weather than some people in our area (our neighborhood lost power and heart for several hours at one point, but it was restored by that night), and I was able to return to work the following day.
Oh, I think I see what you mean. I know how easy it can be to get a bit stuck on even seemingly small decisions like these. [:)]
Indeed; as I said, this language has technically existed for a long time, but what little progress I have made on it has been intermittent and incremental, and it remains in an embryonic state. My participation in Lexember this year has probably been one of my most productive periods to date.
Best of luck to you, and I hope to see more of Chusole in the future.
Thank you! I would like to pull together and rewrite the few scraps of Chusole that already exist; if I can make further progress, I may be able to put together enough material for an initial post on the language, perhaps sometime later this year (fingers crossed).

(As noted, one of the stumbling blocks (apart from the greater stumbling block of lexicon-building) is the verbal morphology, which may be a bit kitchen-sinky; I have had some basic ideas about marking verbs for, e.g., person, number, formality, polarity, tense, and voice, as well as nonfinite verb forms (a verbal noun/infinitive, participial and converb forms) and verbs of motion (primarily verb-framed, rather than satellite-framed), but I have struggled to work out any of the details, and I may be over-complicating matters. As my wife pointed out, even person and number marking is not mandatory, although at the time I began Chusole, it was what I was most familiar with.)