Lexember 2021

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Lexember 2021

Post by Lorik »

A small note before today's entry: I've decided to remake Adunî from scratch, which means my previous Lexember entries about it are outdated. I probably won't be posting anything about Adunî for the rest of Lexember.

Lexember 25th - Lohdan
Lokirú [loki'ɾu:]
An important holiday in Lôgrad (see cultural note)
Etymology: loki ("foal") + erú ("day"), literally meaning "Foal's Day"

Lokirú is a holiday in which people celebrate the first birth of a foal of the year. As such, Lokirú isn't celebrated on a fixed day - each village or city celebrates it the day on which the first foal of the year is born. Usually, this happens on the beginning of Lóhodis (a month which corresponds roughly to September on the South hemisphere or March on the North hemisphere).
On Lokirú, a great party is held on the centre of the city, from noon to sunset. There's music, dancing, and lots of eating and drinking. Despite the name of the holiday, horses aren't actually involved in the festivities.
Halárad, the capital of Lôgrad, always has the biggest Lokirú parties. There, the parties are held in the courtyard of Nitril Dâratur (the "White Palace", where the king lives), and both the king and the queen (or in Lohdan, tûrac and sîrac) partake in the festivities.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

25m Lexembr - Naðal Allagr!
colluy indrec /koˈlaj ɪnˈdrɛk/ [kʊˈlaj ɪnˈdʀɛk]
- charity, non-profit, organization that exists not to make money but in the pursuit of (e.g.) a charitable or educational objective

also as indrec or (colloquially) drecker /dreˈkɛr/ [dʀɪˈkɛː]

Etymology: the first word colluy "guild, gang, business, organisation" is a Middle Boral deverbal derivation from verb colluïr, which today means "to accompany, collude" but contemporaneously could be used more generally just to mean "to collaborate, work together". The verb descends directly from Latin collūdō "I play with" with a change of conjugation parallelling the development of luïr < lūdō "I play".

The second word indrec "charitable, non-profit, to the social good" is a borrowing either straight from Welsh yndreh "endeavour, undertaking" (from the verb trehu "to defeat, overcome") or, more likely, from the Markish intermediate indreck "charity, non-profit".

Casc ivan nell'amaçgat reçoirn un bricot dy colluy indrec.
/kax iˈvan neˌla.matsˈgat reˈtsɔj.rn̩ ɪn briˈkɔt di koˈlaj ɪnˈdrɛk/
[kax ɪˈvan nɪˌla.mɐsˈgat ʀɪˈdzɔ.jɐn ɪm bʀɪˈkɔt di kʊˈlaj ɪnˈdʀɛk]
each child in.def=nursery get-pst.3p indef gift from.the guild nonprofit
Every child in the nursery received a gift from the charity.

rudimentary map of Borland in 900 N, after the conquest of most of the island by Dane forces. Overseas at this time are: Northumber, Markland and Wessex to the west, Western Franks and Frisians to the south; and Danes to the east.

terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Image Atili: heteta /χɛˈtɛ.tʌ/ "aetheric energy," "magic" (het "power" + eta "aether").

The heteta is the energy that powers the aether. In addition to being physically taxing, using the aether reduces one's reserves of heteta, and once they are exhausted, one cannot use the aether again until they have time to refill. Heteta is restored slowly over time, but it has been noted that it refills faster if there is a direct connection to the ground. For this reason, the god Redan is the god of the ground and of aether. It is also for this reason that most buildings have dirt or stone floors, and little furniture, often only a low table for eating and mats to sit and lie upon. Most people also go about barefoot, wearing sandals only for travelling.

This will be my final Lexember entry for the year, as I will be visiting with family, and that is more important than keeping up with a hobby. Thank you all, and I will be back in 2022!
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

I may have forgotten about this a little bit

Añoþnın:
sısne [ˈsʉz.ne] vintr. (sısıne) To row (a boat). MC sɨsɾɪ~-ssɨɾ "row", from sɨs "oar" + verbaliser -ɾɪ~-ɾ; sɨs from AC sēsi "oar, paddle, pole", from a reduplicated form of PB *ti̯éu̯ "quant, pole."
kuɂ [ˈkuʔ] vtr. (kune) Allow something to fall into place (e.g. slot a stake into a hole, put a knife in a clasp). MC kuɾ~-kɾɪ, AC kūra, from PB *káu̯ge "sheathe".
ıñıh [ˈʉ.ɲʉh] n. (ıeñıke) A joke. MC ɨɲɨk~-ɪɲkɪ, AC āañika; from PB *u̯éedika, a reduplication with diminuitive implications of *u̯édika "a jump, a pace"; related to Old Decééyinéeqi *βirkaŋ "gap, cave", whence Decééyinéeqi yíice "cave".
nitno [ˈnid.no] n. (nitıno) Bud (of a plant); bump, protrusion. MC ɾitɾɔ~-ɾtɨɾ, AC rītaru, from PB *gítadu "end of a fishhook to which string is tied", from * "be attached, be tied."
kınkıɂ [ˈkʉŋ.ɡʉʔ] n. (kınekıne) Weak point, killspot (especially of large animals like gators which must be stabbed in a specific point to kill them easily); (meatphorically) weakness, flaw; (more rarely) rotten point, bruise on a fruit. From earlier *kınekıno, reanalysed as a reduplicated form, from MC kɨɾkɨɾ~-kɾɪkɾɔ, AC kārakaru; maybe from PB *gáu̯gekadu "damaged object" (from *gáu̯ge "weak, feeble") with influence by kākañaru "soft, mushy" from *ku̯ádedu "plantain".

Hohetłéneyéyesénı
'wene [ʔwé.nè] n. (pl. 'wene'wéne) Old man. PHLCF *kúːɾè, AC būra "weak, elderly", from PB *gáu̯ge "weak".
'o [ˈʔo] n. (pl. 'uo) Seed, grain. PHLCF *kóː, pl. *kóːkóː, AC , from PB *gái̯ "seed". Cf. Cıé qoe.
nıte' [ní.tèʔ] vtr. To fight someone. Borrowing from Añoþnın ñıtkıɂ, plural of tıknu "fist" (itself of uncertain origin).

Sekai
kófe [kɔ́.ɸè] vtr. To blunt a knife, dull a blade. PN *kɔ́hè, from PB *káu̯ge "sheathe".
tuká [t͡sù.ɣá+L] n. A piece of fruit. PN *tùká+L, from PB *tukáda (a species of) fruit.
ítaú [í.tà.ú] n. Eye of a fishhook. PN *hítàɾú, from PB *gítadu, from * "be tied".
[sê] n. Quant; pole used to propel a boat. PN *sái̯, from PB *ti̯éu̯
ófe [ɔ́.ɸè] a. Weak. PN *hɔ́hè, from PB *gáu̯ge.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 Dec 2021 09:16
Iyionaku wrote: 25 Dec 2021 07:49 adventiys [ɐdˈventa̯iːs] - advent wrath
Etymology: advendo + paniys "circle"
Wrath is anger. Did you mean "wreath"?
Haha, yes!! I didn't know what "Adventskranz" translates to in English, so I looked it up in my dictionary yesterday and then read it wrong. I even thought: "huh, they're calling it 'Advent anger'. What a weird way to name it, but hey, who am I to judge" [xD]
So yeah, "advent wreath" it is.

Lexember 26 - Yélian

sètal [ˈsɛtɐl] - puzzle
Etymology: sèta, an obsolete verb for "to be stuck", + nominalizer -l

Cityamolai vat sètal fecun bapasani fúriapes.
[kɨt͡ʃɐˈmoːlaɪ̯ vɐt ˈsɛtɐl ˈɸeːkʉn ˈbaːpɐsɐni ˌɸuːɾɪ̯ɐˈpes]
NEG-POT-solve-1SG DEM puzzle with piece-PL-ENUM ten_thousand
I can't solve this puzzle with ten thousand pieces.

Bonus idiom that I just came up with from the example sentence:

mola u'sètal o'palin - to cut the Gordian knot (literally: "to solve the puzzle of one hundred thousand (pieces)"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 19

asalikh: asalikh (Shaleyan term for one of the Tzielite scientists who first genetically engineered the Shaleyan race of humans)
Derived from the Tzielites' autonym from millennia ago, which also gave us the word Tzielit, as the Tzielites call themselves today

Shaleyob piyip beph asalikh.
Shaleyan discuss dislike_to asalikh
Shaleyans don't like to talk about the asalikhs.

BONUS WORDS: lal: (H) to like to
beph: (H) to dislike to

DAY 20

Layahole: Layahole (summer solstice holiday on Shaleya)
laya (long, as in long period of time) + ole (day)

Sal selin is Shayelob yunim Layahole.
every summer during Shaleyan celebrate Layahole
Shaleyans celebrate Layahole every summer.

DAY 21

yakokayakok: (oval cake made out of the heartcarb plant and egg, to be eaten on Dañaw)
yakok (oval) + yakok (egg)

Mu ñodash pa Shulin pilemam yakokayakok
all guest for Shulin slice_up yakokayakok
Shulin sliced up the yakokayakok for all the guests.

BONUS WORDS: ñodash: guest
pilemam: (T) to slice up (pil, slice + mam, to, into (in the sense of transformation))
yakok: oval (extended use of yakok, egg)

DAY 22

phomul: phomul (carbohydrate food made from the didiph)

The didiph is a species of pink graminologue plant cultivated on Shaleya, in case you were wondering.

Zeli shoñaw away phomul pa amana, howed pipho.
master chef present phomul for hundred twenty use
The master chef presented 120 uses for phomul.

BONUS WORDS: shoñaw: chef
zeli: master (~ chef)
away: (T) to present

DAY 23

dulokh: dulokh (phomul with fruit filling, eaten on Layahole)

Common fruit fillings for a dulokh include bepil, huwaw, duboph, khop, and khomob.

Makhan umas mened phon shekhu kawen zula, belaw al wey del bepil has pakosh dulokh.
Makhan live_in place where grow pink plant so 3s always make bepil from many dulokh
Makhan lives where pink plants grow, so he always makes lots of dulokhs out of bepils.

BONUS WORD: del: (T) to make (food)

DAY 24

molebazeño: vegetarianism
molebazeñi: vegetarian
moleb (inanimate, i.e. nonliving, plant, fungus, alga, etc.) + zeño (only); -i is a suffix for practitioners of ideologies

Mu Shaleyob hel molebazeñi, ñe od budu nin lomo.
all Shaleyan be vegetarian for 3p kill NEG can
All Shaleyans are vegetarians, for they cannot kill.

DAY 25

phelisanaphidad: merry Christmas
Borrowed from Spanish "Feliz Navidad". Argentina was the first place explorers from the Lehola Galaxy observed Christmas being celebrated when they visited Earth.

Nodosasiwakhash phosha pa Kiwa sheden phelisanaphidad.
crackcreeper friend for Kiwa wish merry_Christmas
Kiwa wished merry Christmas to a crackcreeper friend.

BONUS WORD: sheden: (T) to wish, to bid

Phelisanaphidad!
Last edited by Khemehekis on 27 Dec 2021 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 26

Hannaito (Entry 26):

tatten /taʔten/ [ˈtat̚.tẽn]
Noun:
1. forest, wood(s), woodland
2. grove, thicket
3. copse, coppice, timber, timberland, wood lot
4. orchard
5. jungle, rainforest
6. maze, labyrinth
7. wilderness
8. backwoods, backwater, hinterland
9. a small, mostly forested island
10. park, preserve, refuge, sanctuary
11. hunting grounds
12. a grove used for religious ceremonies
13. a large amount of something (usually positive)
14. a stationary arrangement of people or objects

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *tellem "forest, grove, shade, cover".

Now that we're beginning the fifth and final week of Lexember 2021, I've taken some time to read through and comment on what other participants have posted for Week 4. I won't necessarily comment on every single entry, but hopefully I haven't accidentally missed anyone's work entirely.

Man in Space:
Spoiler:
Man in Space wrote: 21 Dec 2021 01:35 Day 20: *√hms 'die, death, decline, crap out, fail'
> *ahimso 'assassin'
> *awhmas 'death rally, pre-death lucidity'
> *bahmąs 'senility, old age'
> *bawhmǫs 'body count, death toll, casualties'
> *bohmos 'serial killer'
> *ehhemǫs 'decedent'
> *ehmǫs 'corpse'
> *hames 'fatal accident'
> *hommes 'I murder'
> *kawhmąs 'murder weapon'
> *kohmas 'deathbed'
> *ohhomos 'adrenaline junkie, thrillseeker'
> *ohimes 'capital punishment, death sentence'
> *ohimmes 'I assassinate'
> *ohmąs 'I kill'
> *ohmes 'I die'
This language has a fascinating range of morphological patterns.
Man in Space wrote: 22 Dec 2021 03:05 Day 21: *√hks 'vapor, gas, breeze, cloud, air, wind'
> *ąhkǫs 'steam'
> *ehkǫs 'vapor, fumes'
> *hakes 'frost; dew'
> *hokes 'air current, draft, breeze'
> *hekkǫs 'steam'
> *hokso 'chef, cook'
> *ohikes 'mirage, Fata Morgana, will-o'-the-wisp'
> *wohkes 'I boil (away/off), I sublimate'
I'm quite fond of the words derived from this root in particular, for whatever reason.
Man in Space wrote: 23 Dec 2021 05:21 Day 22: *√twh 'bird, flight; defunct'
> *ątwǫh 'military defeat'
> *awtwah 'disaster'
> *botwoh 'bird sp.'
> *etwǫh 'bird sp.'
> *otiweh 'intentional failure, throwing a game'
> *otweh 'I fly'
> *towweh 'I fail (at)'
I love the idea of "I fly" and "I fail (at)" being derived from the same root.
Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 20 Dec 2021 08:51 guvenaló [ˌguːʋənɐˈloː] - literature
Etymology: gúvenal "thing that was written" + collective suffix , literally "all that was written". The base term gúvenal is not a lexeme in modern Yélian anymore.

USAGE NOTE: Like all nouns that end on the collective suffixes or -mé, this noun is always in plural (plurale tantum).
Iyionaku wrote: 20 Dec 2021 08:51 linradas [lɨnˈɾaːdɐʃ] - classical, high-level, benchmark
Etymology: lin "high" + rada "to measure", literally "measured as high". The word has to be differentiated from gáiat, which is used for classical, ancient things like from Greeks or Romans, as well as from the the loan word clásicas, which describes products from the neo-classical era in the 19th century.
Iyionaku wrote: 21 Dec 2021 09:04 vialæra [vɪ̯ɐˈlœːɾɐ] - to convert (change religion)
vialærasé [vɪ̯ɐˌlœːɾɐˈseː] - conversion (change of religion)

Etymology: loan word from Caelian pyaller "change; to change" (the Caelian /ɛ/ sound was more rounded a few hundred years ago), via pialæra. Doublet of ʻareya "to change"
Very interesting!
Iyionaku wrote: 20 Dec 2021 08:51 Actually, it is indeed a loan translation. The old German word for visa (nowadays we just say Visum as well) was "Sichtvermerk", literally "sight annotation", and from there I worked my way to valadmapǽr, before I deemed it too complicated of a word for everyday conversation. Furthermore, while I can't prove it as the word is from Yélian's early incubator days, I am almost sure that I borrowed the base verb vala "to see" from French voir, making it a real loan in the end!
Oh, wow! Thank you for the explanation!
Iyionaku wrote: 21 Dec 2021 09:04 Vigo áiaʻálavetas ivakustet broyaceʻálavetas pun masid, de ianvialærvat pès Islám.
[ˈviːxɔ̈ ˈaːɪ̯ɐˌʔaːlɐʋətɐʃ ɨʋɐˈkustə‿ˈbɾoːʃɐkəˌʔaːlɐʋətɐʃ pʉn ˈmaːsɨd, de ɪ̯ɐnvɪ̯ɐˈlœɾvɐt pɛs ɨsˈlaːm]
if woman-muslim VOL-marry-3SG man-NEG-muslim in mosque, 3SG.REFR.OBL NEC-convert-JUS.3SG towards Islam
If a muslim woman wants to marry a non-muslim man in a mosque, the latter has to convert to Islam.
What's the etymology of the word for "Muslim" (ʻálavetas?), if I might ask? I assume it has something to do with "Allah", but the word also reminds me of this.
Iyionaku wrote: 22 Dec 2021 11:25 tèrek [ˈtɛɾək] - (written) text
Etymology: cross-derivation from the Proto-Mendric root *trk, referring to the change of state of something stable (like a stone etc.) Cognates include tarco "at once, immediately", trasca "to dye", utrak "saliva" and atrek "biface, handax". It likely derives from the latter, as the result of a carving with a handax in a stone tablet or similar.
I like the sound of tèrek! Is Yélian related to Proto-Mendric?
Iyionaku wrote: 22 Dec 2021 11:25 aquis yéliun - until tomorrow
Etymology: aquis "after" + yéliun "moon". Tomorrow is tap yéliun, a lexicalized phrase of a defunct preposition and the word "moon", and I felt that the correct phrase na tap yéliun is too clunky, so I created a new phrase for "until tomorrow".

can yelicún - by heart
Etymology: literally "for the midnight". The idea is that you'll still be able to recite whatever you learnt if you're woken up at midnight and tasked to say it immediately.
Fascinating!
Iyionaku wrote: 23 Dec 2021 08:44 tòimomeral [ˌtɔʊ̯mɔ̈ˈmeːɾɐl] - abonnement
Etymology: tòi "free" + momeral "border, limit"
Oh, "abonnement" is a new word for me in English!
Iyionaku wrote: 25 Dec 2021 07:49 As it's tradition, some christmas words for the 24th:

advendó [ˌadvənˈdoː] - advent
Etymology: from Latin adventus "advent"; it later became (wrongfully) re-analyzed to be related to vendó "heaven" and therefore the ending of the word changed from adventus to advendó.
[:D]
Iyionaku wrote: 25 Dec 2021 07:49 advendáubato [ˌadvənˈdaʊ̯bɐtɔ̈] - Forth Advent
Etymology: advendó + abato "last", literally "last Advent"; all other advent days are named akin to English (First Advent, Second Advent, Third Advent)
Oh, interesting! I can't say I'm familiar with "First Advent, Second Advent, Third Advent, Fourth Advent". Based on the fact that this word literally means "last Advent", are these the last four days before Christmas?
I Lorik:
Spoiler:
I Lorik wrote: 19 Dec 2021 13:55 The Temple of the Divines, located in the city of Halárad, capital of Lôgrad, contains the shrines of twelve of the thirteen gods of the Lohtûrin and the Adunîyi.
The major god of their religion is Vîlor ['vi:loɾ], who is considered to be the mother of all the other gods. According to Drukal ['dɾukɑl], the sacred book of their religion:
[Vîlor] is the Holy Mother. She is Nature, She is Time, and She is Destiny. It was Her that gave birth to all of Creation. She is the Holy Queen of all the other Gods, for She is their mother. It is only Her that can give us salvation [...]
The shrine of Vîlor in the Temple of the Divines is twice as big as the other gods' shrines. It has a statue of Vîlor depicted as a woman holding a staff on her left hand and a sword on her right. On the right of the woman, there's a statue of a golden horse, and on her left, there's a statue of a silver horse. These horses represent Lhôr [ʎo:ɾ] and Vâl [vɑ:l], who are not only the first sentient beings that the goddess created, but also the ancestors of all horses on the world. They also serve as a symbol of the opulence of Lôgrad, for it is said that they are made of pure gold and silver.
The other twelve gods of their religion are: Talor ['tɑloɾ], Kolinta [ko'lĩ:tɑ], Anlan [ɑ̃:'lɑ̃:], Rana ['ɾɑnɑ], Angilina [ɑ̃gi'linɑ], Vâssa ['vɑ:sɑ], Ratan [ɾɑ'tɑ̃:], Annin [ɑ̃:nĩ:], Krun [kɾũ:], Elina [œ'linɑ], Bóga ['bo:gɑ] and Uruka [u'ɾukɑ].
I've loved seeing these excerpts from the Drukal, and your cultural/worldbuilding notes in general, this past week!

Which of the gods does not have a shrine in the Temple of the Divines? Ah, never mind! I've found the answer in your post from the 21st:
I Lorik wrote: 21 Dec 2021 13:01 The names "Anlan" and "Alan" both mean "the evil", being a junction of the definite article ("an" in Lohdan, "a" in Adunî) and the noun "lan" ("evil").
Anlan has no shrine in the Temple of the Divines.
The example sentences mention that Anlan is worshipped by the elves of Oyureh, but I assume that, on account of his wickedness, he isn't venerated anywhere by the Lohtûrin or the Adunîyi, even outside of the Temple of Divines, correct? Worshipping the god of evil seems like the kind of thing that might lead to this:
I Lorik wrote: 20 Dec 2021 14:11 The Lohtûrin and the Adunîyi are, to say the least, extremely religiously intolerant. They sacrifice people who don't believe in the Goddess Vîlor, and those who don't follow her word, on the shrine of Talor.
I Lorik wrote: 20 Dec 2021 14:11 haládav [Rɑ'lɑ:dɑv] Noun
Sacrifice (to the gods)
Etymology: worn down form of Old Lohdan haláv krûdav ("holy death")
I Lorik wrote: 20 Dec 2021 14:11 leste ['lɛstɛ] Noun
Sacrifice (to the gods)
Etymology: very worn down form of Old Adunî lepher kryuste ("holy death"). (lepher kryuste > lepheryuste > lephyuste > leste)
I like "holy death" as the etymology of these words for "sacrifice (to the gods)".
I Lorik wrote: 20 Dec 2021 14:11
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:07 I'm going to have to find time to check out the thread you've made for Lohdan, likely after this month is over.
Hope you'll like it [:D] I intend on making a thread for Adunî as well when it's a little bit more developed, which probably won't take too long considering I'll be on vacation soon.
Excellent! I look forward to reading about both languages as information about them becomes available. [:D] I hope you enjoy your vacation!
I Lorik wrote: 20 Dec 2021 14:11 And by the way, thank you for your kind words about Lohdan and for all your informative write-ups! [:)]
Oh, it's my pleasure!
I Lorik wrote: 22 Dec 2021 15:49 The Lohtûrin and the Adunîyi usually pray outdoors, as they believe the gods might hear their prayers better that way. The usual position for praying is standing up, both hands resting on the person's chest, and with the eyes open looking up at the sky. The Lohtûrin usually lightly whisper their prayers, while the Adunîyi tend not to say anything while praying.
Very interesting!
I Lorik wrote: 25 Dec 2021 20:38 A small note before today's entry: I've decided to remake Adunî from scratch, which means my previous Lexember entries about it are outdated. I probably won't be posting anything about Adunî for the rest of Lexember.
Ah, no worries!
I Lorik wrote: 25 Dec 2021 20:38 Lexember 25th - Lohdan
Lokirú [loki'ɾu:]
An important holiday in Lôgrad (see cultural note)
Etymology: loki ("foal") + erú ("day"), literally meaning "Foal's Day"

Lokirú is a holiday in which people celebrate the first birth of a foal of the year. As such, Lokirú isn't celebrated on a fixed day - each village or city celebrates it the day on which the first foal of the year is born. Usually, this happens on the beginning of Lóhodis (a month which corresponds roughly to September on the South hemisphere or March on the North hemisphere).
On Lokirú, a great party is held on the centre of the city, from noon to sunset. There's music, dancing, and lots of eating and drinking. Despite the name of the holiday, horses aren't actually involved in the festivities.
Halárad, the capital of Lôgrad, always has the biggest Lokirú parties. There, the parties are held in the courtyard of Nitril Dâratur (the "White Palace", where the king lives), and both the king and the queen (or in Lohdan, tûrac and sîrac) partake in the festivities.
Fantastic!
Shemtov:
Spoiler:
Shemtov wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:41 (Note: since the Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿhave a culture very tied into their calendar, and their religion revolves around astronomy, that will be the theme of this week, since it ties into Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ culture)
Excellent!
Shemtov wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:41 Day 19:
Bˀïȁʳ /pjɛ:˧˩/
N. Planet

20:
Jóˀⁿ /t͡ʃõ˧˥/
N. Zodiac sign
Shemtov wrote: 19 Dec 2021 17:34 21:
Jóˀⁿ-Lha̋ⁿˀ /t͡ʃõ˧˥ ɬɛ̃˧˥/
"Month" (lit. Zodiac-period)

22:
Hműˀ-Jóˀⁿ-Zˀweʳ /ʰmy˧˥ t͡ʃõ˧˥ tswe:˧˩/
"Year" (lit. "small-zodiac-cycle)

23:
Dàˀ-Jóˀⁿ-Zˀweʳ /ta˩˧ t͡ʃõ˧˥ tswe:˧˩/
"The twelve year ritual cycle" (lit. "Great zodiac cycle")

24:
Bˀïȁʳⁿ-Zˀweʳ //pjɛ:˧˩ tswe:˧˩/
"Seven-year ritual cycle" (lit. Planet-cycle)

25:
Hmïőˀ-Dàˀ-Zˀweʳ /ʰmjø˧˥ ta˩˧ tswe:˧˩/
"84-year cycle of the intersection of the twelve and seven year ritual cycles" (lit. "Holy great cycle")
Very interesting stuff! I'm particularly intrigued by these longer "cycles". I think I saw that you recently started a thread connected to this language or the culture of its speakers, which I'll have to make time to properly read through at some point.
Shemtov wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:56 There are five "Dialectical Complexes" of Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ: Northwest, North, Central, South-Central, and South. What I am presenting is a prestige dialect of the Central "Complex", which has a genetic link with South-Central, but is marked by heavy North influences given a period of mass migration of proto-North speakers to the Central area. In South-Central proper, grammatical volition is a very important feature, but the North influence on Central erased much of its importance in Central, but it still shows up in pairs like this. Note that South, as opposed to South-Central, ran further with volition to the point that most South Dialects are split-S.
If you go further back, to Common Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ, it was split from Ħa̠nese 2000 years ago, by invading Para-Göhöläki speakers from the North and Para-Fuhean speakers from the south and Early Common Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ used a similar and related logography to Classical Ħa̠nese, but about 200 years after the split, they began to simplify it into a Syllabary (Middle Common Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ) and in about 300 years to an Abugida (Late Common Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ), contemporary Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ being only a "Language" in the sense that "Chinese" is IRL, insofar that speakers of one "Dialect" may have no idea what a speaker of another one is saying, but given that the Abugida represents Late Common Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ with some grammatical changes, will get the general gist of a written text in another "Dialect", though those Morphosyntactic changes marked in regional Written Qíʳ Bȁˀ Gàˀⁿ are likely to cause some non-understanding of the text.
Fascinating! Thank you for the explanation.
Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:09 haucetr /hoˈtsɛ.tr̩/ [hʊˈdzɛ.tɐ]
- hawk, goshawk, any of several birds of prey of the genus Accipiter;
- (obsolete) predatory or rapacious man, man given to take by force or plunder;
- eagle-eyed, sharp-sighted, having exemplary vision especially at long distance;
- (by extension) perceptive, insightful, having notable intuition and powers of deduction;
- (historical) a type of early breech-loading and rifled gun developed in the eighteenth century[/size]

Etymology: attested in Old Boral as havcetre "hawk", apparently a blend of Latin accipiter "hawk, merlin", Late Latin aucellus "small bird" (the Norman austour "goshawk" suggests a Latin ancestor of *auceptor which clearly results from a similar process), and Borland English hauc "hawk".

Haucetr e corf le parlocn, symbol auspecer intermanent.
/hoˈtsɛ.tr̩ e kɔrf le parˈlɔ.kn̩ | sɪmˈbɔl ˌo.speˈtsɛr ɪnˌtɛr.maˈnɛnt/
[hʊˈdzɛt‿ʀe ˈkɔːf le pɐːˈlɔ.kɐn | sɪmˈbɔw ˌo.spɪˈdzɛː ɪnˌtɛː.mɐˈnɛnt]
hawk and raven 3s.acc flank-3pl | symbol prophet-adj constitute-ptcp.prs
The hawks and ravens around him are symbols of prophecy.
Jackk wrote: 21 Dec 2021 22:24 mephit /meˈfit/ [mɪˈfɪt]
- ague, chills, periods of intermittent fever;
- shivering, state of feeling cold;
- (archaic) malaria, the mosquito-borne disease caused by the plasmodium parasite[/size]

Etymology: from Middle Boral mefit "fever, malaria", later reclassicised after its etymon mephītis "a poisonous or pestilential gas emitted from the ground, as from swamps or volcanoes". This is a genericised form of the name Mephītis, the name of a Samnite goddess who personified these gases.
Jackk wrote: 23 Dec 2021 21:55 colombar /ˌko.lɔmˈbar/ [ˌko.lʊmˈbɑː]
- to beeline, to travel directly while ignoring established or more easily-traversed routes;
- to shortcut, skimp, cut corners, to gain a competitive or efficiency advantage especially by taking inappropriate or unsafe measures[/size]

also colombant /ˌko.lɔmˈbant/ directly, as the crow flies

Etymology: first as the participial adjective in Middle Boral colombant "in a straight line", derived from noun colomp "pigeon, dove" (modern colom "dove"), presumably in reference to the flight of homing pigeons. The word colom derives uncomplicatedly from Latin columba “dove, pigeon”. The verb per se is attested from the end of the eighteenth century, with the somewhat negative connotations arising in the following decades.
Jackk wrote: 24 Dec 2021 19:19 scorç dalassin /xɔrts ˌda.laˈsɪn/ [xɔːts ˌda.lɐˈsin]
- cinnamon, spice made from the dried aromatic bark of an evergreen tree native to Madray and Seldiva [1];
- (more broadly) any spices made from the bark of closely related trees such as the Baigore or Chinese cassias[/size]

also dalassiner /ˌda.la.siˈnɛr/ [ˌda.lɐ.sɪˈnɛː] cinnamon tree

Etymology: the first word means "bark (of a tree), peel (of fruit)" and descends uncomplicatedly from Latin scortea "leather garment, hide", although some scholars posit that the word was borrowed from a continental form in the Old Boral period.

The second word is attested from the sixteenth century, borrowed from Swahile dalasini "cinnamon" via British (or less plausibly, Vascon) merchant traders who picked up the term in Ungotia [Zanzibar]. This word itself comes via Arabic from Persian دارچین <dárchin> "cinnamon", meaning "Chinese tree".

The word dalassin diplaces older competing terms for the spice extant at the time, including zimom < Latin cinnamōmum and cannel "little reed".

[…]

[1] the region of Southern India and Sri Lanka.
These might be my favorite etymologies from this past week.

Also, I love noticing small things like the spelling "Swahile" and being reminded that this is not quite the world as we know it.
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:09 Thanks again for the excellent commentary [<3]
My pleasure! [:D]
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:09 I also take every opportunity to remind people of <ig ug> /aj/, one of my little bamboozlings. [}:D]
Delightful!
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:09 translation into Borlish and English of an excerpt from Estevan Mazon's 1893 work The Man from Everywhere (originally published in Leonese as El Hombre de Jallondes), released near the end of the Good Game period. The book's subject matter was subject to significant public scandal, and only the outbreak of the Millstone War could overshadow the senatorial debates over governmental funding of bookstores. Despite the scandal, the public's less-univerally negative reaction is a testament to the shifts since even the 1840s (see the flight of Antòin Herrel).
Do you happen to know the etymology of jallondes? That word stood out to me, for whatever reason. The closest thing I was able to find on Wiktionary was Galician xalundes, but that entry doesn't provide any etymological information.
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 00:09 Ag moment just ig Marc yem scið l'oc saluð (sey vray l'es cossy nommabr; sur sy jalicq ancour sechiscent es sanc des cavir occis) harmon bogr coll'ig seyon creut cos primer, luy es i dont y dos caf appoyað vars y mur.
Just as Mark is realizing that this welcome (if it can be called that; he has blood from being murdered still drying on his jalick) is of an entirely different key than what he first thought, he is the one with his back up against the wall.
What is a "jalick", if I might ask? I tried to Google it but nothing really came up. Based on the context, is it an article of clothing?
Jackk wrote: 20 Dec 2021 23:01 copros /koˈprɔz/ [kʊˈpʀɔz]
- sulphate, vitriol, ionic compound containing the anion SO₄²⁻;
- (historical) iron(II) sulphate, green vitriol, the compound with chemical formula FeSO₄[/size]

compare cohol /koˈhɔl/ [kʊˈxɔw] sulphide, ionic compound containing the anion S²⁻

Etymology: attested in various European languages from the thirteenth century, adapted from Mediæval Latin cuperosa et al. "metal sulphate, especially copper sulphate", short for aqua cuprosa "water of copper". Originally referring in particular to blue vitriol/copper sulphate, by the Revitalist period it was in most common use for green vitriol/iron sulphate.
As someone who knows very little about this sort of thing, it blows my mind, so to speak, to see this kind of entry!
Jackk wrote: 22 Dec 2021 23:00 askouð /aˈskuθ/
- (dated or historical) box, chest, trunk, especially a strong container used to store valuables;
- (specifically) treasure chest, either at a royal/noble court storing the treasury or belonging to thieves/pirates;
- vault, strongroom, room used to store and secure currency or similar items;
- (by extension, metaphorically) goldmine, a plentiful stockpile of something (often knowledge or ideas) sought after

Etymology: attested in Middle Boral as aschouð "secure box, chest" but likely earlier, thought to derive from an unattested Norse compound asc-húðr "ashwood-skin", which presumably draws on the imagery of one's hide as a protective layer.
I love the look and sound of askouð!
Jackk wrote: 22 Dec 2021 23:00 excerpt and translation from 1910 parachthon romance L'Askouð Pyrrhaz (published 1916 in Markish as The Firekeepers' Stronghold), written by first-time author Loðaç Berxon around the time of her joining the Outland Arcabil Association.
"Loðaç Berxon" is a lovely-looking name.
Jackk wrote: 23 Dec 2021 21:55 excerpt taken from the scholastic quire The Communication Toolset, a 1951 work written (originally in Mozara Spanish [1] as El Herramente de Communicazón) by author Joan Bensaíd through the printing house Quaterno Theorético a Córdoba.
Jackk wrote: 23 Dec 2021 21:55 [1] a language spoken primarily in Andalus but also in neighbouring polities and in immigrant/staddenzen [3] populations worldwide.

[…]

[3] native of one of the polities that grew from early trading posts along the coasts of Cappatia and Africa.
Very interesting!
Jackk wrote: 23 Dec 2021 21:55 For example, the towns of Nausçod on Borland and Lagcóch (at this time officially Laicouche in French Guillenne) [2], being only 13 miles apart as the crow flies and the former lying atop a steep promontory, are often within clear view of each other. Before the steeplemesh, to send a letter from the one to the other would require riding to the port at Axbane and taking a ferry, likely to Heller on the mainland and then across again to Texel.
Jackk wrote: 23 Dec 2021 21:55 [2] roughly corresponding to the Dutch village of De Koog on the island of Texel.
I appreciate the footnote here, because otherwise, I would have assumed that Lagcóch/Laicouche is located in what we call French Guiana, which would have made it rather confusing to read that it's apparently just 13 miles away from a town in Borland.
Jackk wrote: 24 Dec 2021 19:19 fragment excerpted from the reference work Folk Cusdoms and Holidays oth North: a Compendium, published in 1876 by the Safford University Primers in Markland as an entry in a collaborative project spearheaded by the Rexam Indreck [non-profit] (Ymdreh Car Vantel) for outland sharing.

…origin of the beloved candied butterflies, a staple of the Borland Revillon (the Winter Feast) and there called jonnovar zucarrað, has been much debated. They have from their earliest attested iterations on the island been generously spiced, with dalassine bark and zingerroot (cinnamon and ginger) being the most popular choices.

Much as Borland—and many other places—might like to claim ownership of the concept of sugar-spiced cakebread, the basic structure (though perhaps not the specific buttefly shape seen through winter and especially on Christ's Eve) in Europe predates even the import of sugar to the continent. Gingerbread arrives in the twelfth century as the ongoing warfare in the Levant brought ginger and other goods west, often sweetened with honey.

It is usually supposed that butterflies are the primary symbol of Christtide on Borland as a representation of metamorphosis and new life as the dead world of winter grows again into spring. While this makes for a good story, and while the symbol of the butterfly has over the centuries been adopted by various movements for this very purpose (consider the standard of the house of Lascoum, and more recently their incorporation into the popular conception of the vampire), the historical record is more ambiguous. In the earliest sources which connect…
[<3]

I'll honestly be a bit shocked if I'm not just imaging things, but I think I actually remember the title Folk Cusdoms and Holidays oth North: a Compendium from Lexember 2020. I think it jumped out at me because of "oth" (= "of the"?).

Wow, yeah, I found this using the board's search function. I cannot believe I remembered that. In any case, I'm very impressed by the "continuity", for lack of a better word, here! I assume it's no coincidence that both mentions of this compendium were posted on December 24th.
Jackk wrote: 25 Dec 2021 23:22 25m Lexembr - Naðal Allagr!
colluy indrec /koˈlaj ɪnˈdrɛk/ [kʊˈlaj ɪnˈdʀɛk]
- charity, non-profit, organization that exists not to make money but in the pursuit of (e.g.) a charitable or educational objective

also as indrec or (colloquially) drecker /dreˈkɛr/ [dʀɪˈkɛː]

Etymology: the first word colluy "guild, gang, business, organisation" is a Middle Boral deverbal derivation from verb colluïr, which today means "to accompany, collude" but contemporaneously could be used more generally just to mean "to collaborate, work together". The verb descends directly from Latin collūdō "I play with" with a change of conjugation parallelling the development of luïr < lūdō "I play".

The second word indrec "charitable, non-profit, to the social good" is a borrowing either straight from Welsh yndreh "endeavour, undertaking" (from the verb trehu "to defeat, overcome") or, more likely, from the Markish intermediate indreck "charity, non-profit".

Casc ivan nell'amaçgat reçoirn un bricot dy colluy indrec.
/kax iˈvan neˌla.matsˈgat reˈtsɔj.rn̩ ɪn briˈkɔt di koˈlaj ɪnˈdrɛk/
[kax ɪˈvan nɪˌla.mɐsˈgat ʀɪˈdzɔ.jɐn ɪm bʀɪˈkɔt di kʊˈlaj ɪnˈdʀɛk]
each child in.def=nursery get-pst.3p indef gift from.the guild nonprofit
Every child in the nursery received a gift from the charity.

rudimentary map of Borland in 900 N, after the conquest of most of the island by Dane forces. Overseas at this time are: Northumber, Markland and Wessex to the west, Western Franks and Frisians to the south; and Danes to the east.
Excellent! The map included with this post is outstanding as well.
spanick:
Spoiler:
spanick wrote: 20 Dec 2021 02:15
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:07 /ʒ/ is so characteristic of Weddisch in my mind! I figure that it probably stands out in particular because /ʒ/ is uncommon in native vocabulary in most Germanic languages.
I'm really glad to hear it! It's actually one of my personal favorite features of Weddisch.
[:D]

Also, in case I forget or don't get a chance to respond to it directly, I love the map and all of the dialectal information from your latest post in the Weddisch/Nortsääenglisch thread.
spanick wrote: 20 Dec 2021 02:15 Laard Hauwún ~ Laard Halwún
/laːɾd haʊvʏn/ ~ /laːɾd halvʏn/
1. (proper name) Heer Halewijn, Lord Halewijn, Lord Halewyn

Lord Halewijn is a folkloric figure common to the lowlands. Folklorists unanimously agree that the Weddisch borrowed this story from other lowlanders after their arrival in the North Sea. In Weddisch tradition, Laard Hauwún is referred to as either a dêmon “demon” or a dúvel “devil.” However, it is commonly understood that Hauwún is a druy“witch, sorcerer” that has made a pact with the devil.

Hauwún sings songs to lure young women into the forest where he decapitates them. The main story of Hauwún revolves around a princess who is lured into the forest by Hauwún’s song. Thanks to a warning given by a magical, white bird (often understood to be the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove), she is able to kill Hauwún and escape.

In most Lowland traditions, the princess goes unnamed and is occasionally named Mechthild. In Weddisch tradition, she is always named either Methild or Isabêl. Some folklorists suggest that the name Isabêl is due to conflation with a similar story in English known as Lady Isabel and the Elf Knight, though the exact connection is uncertain. In some modern editions, the princess is aware of the danger posed by Laard Hauwún and purposefully goes into the forest to confront and kill him.

Traditionally, the story is told in the form of a lúet, a traditional style of folk music. While there are modern prose retellings, the story is always referred to as Det Lúet of Laard Hauwún.

Pronunciation note: The variant spelling/pronunciation is dialectal. The dialects of Heligoland and around the Bremerhaven do not have L-vocalization while the dialects located in northern Friesland and northern Groningen have full L-vocalization. The isogloss lies somewhere in the dialect within East Frisia.
Fascinating! I wasn't aware of this story before now. I keep reading the name "Lord Halewijn" as "Lord Halloween", and the fact that he's a warlock who cuts off women's heads probably doesn't help.
spanick wrote: 20 Dec 2021 18:53 mosschuk (pl. mosschukken)
/mɔz.ʒʊk/ [mɔʒʊk]
1. moss sprite
Also known as houtschuk /hoʊt.ʃʊk/ “wood sprite” or waudschuk /vaʊd.ʒʊk/ “forest sprite.” Schuk is derived from Old English scucca (cf. English shuck) meaning “evil spirit, demon, devil” but has undergone semantic bleaching. A schuk no refers to a morally ambiguous nature spirit. Most often, mosschukken steal/borrow travelers’ belongings but not without giving something in return. Angry mosschukken are usually blamed for people getting lost in the woods and are occasionally said to steal children and replace them with their own.

wedschuk (pl. wedschukken)
/ved.ʒʊk/ [vɛd͡ʒʊk]
1. wad sprite, mud sprite, mudflat sprite
Similar to mosschukken but are said to live in the mudflats of the Wadden Sea. They are often blamed for leading people out into the Wadden Sea at low tides only to get lost and drown during high tide. It has become custom for those going into the Wadden Sea at low tide to carry with them something to give to the wedschukken; bread and beer are common options but jenever is said to be a favorite of the wedschukken.
spanick wrote: 21 Dec 2021 19:29 kwitsche ~ kwitke (pl. kwitschen ~ kwitken)
/kvɪd͡ʒə/ ~ /kvɪtkə/
1. fairy tale
2. fable
From OE cwide “story, proverb, report” plus the diminutive suffix -tsche/-ke.

A popular fairy tale/fable among the Weddisch is Det Bêt ann de Fere Meden “The Bear and the Fair Maiden.” It tells the story of a young woman rescued by a bear. The the humorous premise of the story has proved popular among the Weddisch and it has been adapted numerous times into songs for both children and adults.
I always enjoy getting to read about "con-folklore".
spanick wrote: 23 Dec 2021 03:26 tewel
/tɛvəl/
1. board game
2. backgammon (regional)
3. chess (regional)
spanick wrote: 23 Dec 2021 03:26 tózel ~ tósl (pl. tósles)
/tœzəl/
1. (nn.) die (polyhedron labeled with numbers, symbols, pips, or letters which is thrown for the purposes of playing games or gambling)
Rare example of <z>. Normally, Weddisch short vowels are indicated by being in “closed” syllables. This sometimes requires double letters. However, certain doubled letters are disfavored, especially <vv> and <ss>. These digraphs are often resolved with the monographs <w> and <z> but function as digraphs in that they indicate that the syllable is closed even if the next letter is a vowel.
Interesting!
spanick wrote: 23 Dec 2021 03:26 schaak
/ʒaːk/
1. (nn.) chess
Borrowing of unclear origin, could have been borrowed from Dutch, German, or Old Norse.
Out of curiosity, is /ʒaːk/ also how Weddish speakers would likely pronounce the French name "Jacques"?
spanick wrote: 23 Dec 2021 16:48 There are three Weddisch language newspapers in print: Tydinge, Det Bled, and Dät Häven. Tydinge and Det Bled are based in the Netherlands and primarily serve the speakers of the Estweddisch, Wêstweddisch, and Utweddisch dialects. Tydinge is the oldest Weddisch language newspaper still in print and is the last use of the noun described above. Dät Häven is the only Weddisch newspaper based in Germany and the only paper to use the German inspired orthography for Weddisch. It primarily serves speakers of the Ästhävenwetsch, Westhävenwetsch, and Hallilandisch dialects located around Bremerhaven and Heligoland.
Lovely!
Mándinrùh:
Spoiler:
Mándinrùh wrote: 19 Dec 2021 21:17
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:07 First of all, I just want to make a general comment about how much I've enjoyed all of the detailed worldbuilding notes you've been including in your entries!
Thank you!
Of course! I've enjoyed the information you've included in your posts from this past week as well!
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:07 My apologies if I've accidentally overlooked the answer, but how long does each round last? Is there a set amount of time for each round, or does a round keep going until one of the players scores?
A round goes on until a player scores or a penalty is called.
Understood!
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2021 16:07
Mándinrùh wrote: 17 Dec 2021 02:40 Image Atili: vobrazaeÿdu /vobˌʁɑ.ʒʌˈɛɹ.du/ - "hide-and-seek" (lit "run to hide," etym. vobras "run" + -za (purposive converb) + eÿdu "hide").
Mándinrùh wrote: 18 Dec 2021 00:58 Image Atili: dovnyeyli /dovˈɲɛɹ.ɫi/ - "pilgrimage, short trip" (etym. dovnye "road, journey" + -ili (diminutive)).
This is something rather small, but the apparent correspondence between <ÿ> or <y> and /ɹ/ in these words caught my attention.
This is a quirk of the Romanization. In the native orthography, the sounds /ɹ/, /ɹɫ/, /ɨ/, and /ɨɫ/ are all written with the digraph IL (the equivalent letters in the orthography). This is because front vowels in Atili are centralized before l: i /i/ > ï /ɨ/; e /ɛ/ > ë /ɜ/. And /ɹ/ happens to be the centralized version of /j/: y /j/ > ÿ /ɹ/. This distinction is phonemic because l disappears before another consonant, so where the l is gone, I mark centralization with the diaeresis. I've gone back and forth on whether to explicitly mark centralization before overt l, but I settled on not.

Other Atili dialects might pronounce ÿ as [ə̯], but I have based my descriptions on Ecclesiastical Atili as spoken in the city of Teremi.
Oh, cool! Thank you for the explanation!
Mándinrùh wrote: 20 Dec 2021 03:56 Image Atili: rulayh /ʁuˈɫɑjχ/ - orthodox (etym. rula "one" + -ih (participle)). The Orthodox Church (Rulayh Kutevi), or Orthodoxy (Rulayhkom) is the predominant religion on Atil. Despite the name literally translating as "the one church," the Orthodoxy is incredibly decentralized, with at least two dozen groups acting as coequal supreme authorities. It seems these authorities, known as the Most Pious Orders (Tamaramuno Bibigzusvi). Two of these orders are located in the nation of Teremi, the Most Pious Order of the Central Place of Aether (Tayl Etaryadi Tamaramuno Bigzusvi), and the Most Pious Order of Temrabolya (Temrabolyay Tamaramuno Bigzusvi). The latter, incidentally, is the newest Most Pious Order.

Besides the Most Holy Orders are the Holy Orders (Bibigzusvi). Holy Orders are either associated with a local church or are itinerant, performing services for smaller towns that do not have a permanent church.
Mándinrùh wrote: 21 Dec 2021 00:23 Image Atili: syaravi /çʌˈʁɑ.vi/ - eternity, the extent of all time, immortality, endlessness (etym. syara "time" + -vi (collective)).

Devil syaravi ("Godly immortality") is an Orthodox heresy centering on the nature of the gods in the modern day. While there is broad consensus based on the writings in the Seminal Ligram ("Book of Foundation") that the gods once had a physical presence on Atil, some orders and adherents believe that the gods can still physically manifest and interact with the world directly.

This is not, however, the view of the Most Pious Orders, which assert that the gods gave up their physical existences to bring people to Atil. Since then, they can only appear as spiritual beings and cannot interact directly with the physical world.

While the Most Pious Orders do not endorse the heresy, it is broadly tolerated because of its popularity and, in particular, its high-profile adherents, including a majority of the Teremi nobility.
Very interesting! Does devil mean "godly"?
Mándinrùh wrote: 22 Dec 2021 01:01 Image Atili: mazivi - group of people, company, household, class, team (etym. mazi "person" + -vi (collective)).

Duskedi mazivi (the company of Dusked) is a horde of phantoms said to haunt the deserts of Western Teremi. Some versions of this myth claim that the company is led by the spirit of Dusked, the god of wind and desert (or even by Dusked himself; see also devil syaravi from my last post). Others claim that Dusked does not personally lead the company, but rather a lieutenant of Dusked. The lieutenant is variously called Miklas Mïkas, but it is unclear where this name comes from.

Most versions of the myth that make any claim as to the composition of the company assert that the hunters are the spirits of those who died in the desert. Some say specifically that it is those who died of dehydration. Usually, the phantoms are said to be cursed with eternal thirst, and some say specifically that they seek out wanderers in the desert in order to slake their thirst with blood. Others say that they hunt to increase their number, though to what end, few would venture a guess.

It is generally agreed that the company hunts for those who go about the desert at night, especially near the longnight season (see last week's post on the Teremi calendar), but further details are inconsistent. Some say that the company hunts only those with ill intent, but others claim they slay indiscriminately. It is often said that setting a bowl of water in front of you when the hunters pass by will appease them, and may even bring good luck. For this reason, travelers in the desert regions, forced to move at night to avoid the intense heat of the day, often carry with them an earthen bowl and extra supply of water in order to make an offering if set upon by the horde.
Excellent!
Mándinrùh wrote: 23 Dec 2021 01:31 Image Atili: zumuno /ʒuˈmu.no/ - great awakening (etym. zu "to wake up" + -muno (augmentative)). Zumuno, the Great Awakening, is an event described in Zumunol Ligram (The Book of the Great Awakening), one of three sacred texts of the Orthodoxy. Zumunol Ligram was written by Rulayh Uzat Zubetro (the First Lord Zubetro), who is said to have re-invented writing in order to record these events.

One hundred forty-three days before the long night, everybody woke up with no recollection of any past events. What had gone before, nobody knows to this day. Very few records exist from before Zumuno apart from Seminal Ligram, another of the three sacred texts, which describes the gods creating the planet Atil and bringing people into the world. Rulay Uzat Zubetro, or Ruzu (as he is colloquially called) led the other Rulayh Uruzat (First Nobles), the founders of the forty-five Teremi great houses, in the reconstruction of society, building towns, offering land grants for farming, researching techniques for improving crop yield, and establishing the first legal systems.

Ruzu ended up becoming the first king of Teremi, and twenty-four of the other First Nobles were granted lulun (geopolitical subdivisions akin to duchies or counties) as they brought ever-increasing areas of land under Teremi influence. These events are noted in summary in the final pages of Zumunol Ligram. As detail wanes in Ruzu's writings, traditional histories, genealogies, and other records begin to pick up the slack, and by the time of the final entry in the book, dated two days before Ruzu's death in the year Zz 43 (Zumuno zin, "after the Great Awakening"), sufficient other sources had become available to allow an accurate timeline of events from Zumuno to the present day to be constructed.
Rulayh Uzat Zubetro wrote:Zz 43 knz 98*
Ideomen. Adligram Zumuno zin nikom lez uniamamazivivaza yuvahanidal. Baynderevkezu ikí sun.
Rulayh Uzat Zubetro wrote:Zz 43 knz 98*
I am dying. In order to share with the world the events taking place after the Great Awakening, I leave behind this book. I shall write in it no more.
* This is a highly abbreviated form for Zumuno zin destinye-tenih kunú zin yodrinye-bawih ev (98 days after the 43rd nightless day after the Great Awakening). In the modern Teremi calendar, this date would be given as Zz 43 ymz 81 or Zumuno zin destinye-tenih yatlemitan un yodrinyulayh ev (81st day in the 43rd season of shining mornings after the Great Awakening). The modern Teremi calendar, however, was not adopted until Zz 92. See also, my earlier post on the Teremi calendar.
Fascinating!
Mándinrùh wrote: 25 Dec 2021 04:40 Image Atili: dwenut /ˈdwɛ.nut/ "candle" (dwenu "fire" + -t (diminutive)). Many religious ceremonies involve candles.

I'm sorry, it's late and I'm too tired to come up with anything interesting to say today.
No worries at all! I know the feeling.

For whatever it's worth, I like the sound of dwenut.
Mándinrùh wrote: 26 Dec 2021 02:39 Image Atili: heteta /χɛˈtɛ.tʌ/ "aetheric energy," "magic" (het "power" + eta "aether").

The heteta is the energy that powers the aether. In addition to being physically taxing, using the aether reduces one's reserves of heteta, and once they are exhausted, one cannot use the aether again until they have time to refill. Heteta is restored slowly over time, but it has been noted that it refills faster if there is a direct connection to the ground. For this reason, the god Redan is the god of the ground and of aether. It is also for this reason that most buildings have dirt or stone floors, and little furniture, often only a low table for eating and mats to sit and lie upon. Most people also go about barefoot, wearing sandals only for travelling.
Cool!
Mándinrùh wrote: 26 Dec 2021 02:39 This will be my final Lexember entry for the year, as I will be visiting with family, and that is more important than keeping up with a hobby. Thank you all, and I will be back in 2022!
Oh, absolutely. I hope you enjoy your time with your family! Thank you for participating! [:D]
Glenn:
Spoiler:
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:18 palatoh /’pha.la.thoh/ [’pha.la.thox] – oven

[…]

-toh /thoh/ [thox] – inanimate agentive suffix (e.g., a tool or instrument, among other uses)
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:18 shihtoh /’ʃih.toh/ [‘ʃix.tox] – knife (lit., “cutter”)

Shihtoh is a general word for a knife; I am sure that there are more specific words for different types of knives, although I don’t know what they are (at least, not yet).
I'm particularly fond of these words with the suffix -toh, for whatever reason. I'd be interested to see some of the words for specific kinds of knives whenever you come up with them!
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:18 Out of time now (it's late here, and I have to get up early tomorrow to go to work); more to follow!
I look forward to your next post!
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:02 Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. My wife's back is still painful, but she is gradually starting to feel better.
I'm glad to hear she's starting to feel better!
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:02 Thank you for the question! As it happens, there is no connection to the musical scale, but the word does have an origin story. When I first started creating Chusole, many years ago, I was living in Kazakhstan at the time, and my first ideas for Chusole were heavily based on my (extremely limited) knowledge of Kazakh. The first incarnation of Chusole was essentially a calque of Kazakh, but as my thoughts have developed over the months and years, I have tried to distance it from that initial inspiration, although many basic structural features remain the same. The use of sole for “speech” was stolen directly from the Kazakh verb сөйлеу (or söileu, according to the most recent Latin alphabet) “to speak.” (There are a few other words or morphemes stolen from other languages as well, including the use of ma as an interrogative particle, borrowed from Mandarin; I have tried to change it, but ma just sounds “right” to me.)

The other reason that the language might resemble the musical scale a bit is the phonotactics, with the fairly large number of CV syllables and limited number of syllable codas. In this, I have surprised myself a bit, as I have found myself reverting to an earlier version of the phonology. When I first decided on the phonotactics of Chusole, I settled on a (C)V(C) syllable structure; virtually any consonant could begin a syllable, but the only ones that could end a syllable were /m/, /n/, /ŋ/, /l/. and /h/. I later decided that I also wanted syllables ending in stops (/ph/, /p/, /th/, /t/, /kh/, /k/), so that I could include some of the stop + stop combinations I had encountered in Kazakh (such as /kt/). However, when it came to coining actual words, I found that I instinctively avoided creating any with syllable-final stops, and the one or two I made, I quickly changed to reflect the older phonotactics; I guess that, once again, the latter are what sound “right” to me right now.
Oh, very interesting! Thank you for sharing this.
Glenn wrote: 20 Dec 2021 04:02 The other thing I find, looking back on the words that I have created for Lexember so far, is that I have been overusing some of the phonemes in the language, and underusing others, as well as not taking full advantage of some of the phonemic distinctions built into the language (for instance, I included parallel sets of aspirated and unaspirated stops and affricates, as well as parallel sets of palatalized and non-palatalized consonants (the latter inspired by Russian, among other sources), but I have not used the full range of either thus far). I think I need to remember to include more variety in my words…
I've found myself in a similar position a number of times before. If I remember correctly, I almost got through Lexember last year without creating any words beginning with /t/ in one of the languages I was using, even though I'd created words beginning with every other consonant phoneme in that language. I think I only noticed this and decided to rectify it a few days before the month was over. This kind of thing can be hard to remember, so best of luck!
Dormouse559:
Spoiler:
Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Dec 2021 06:15 Kinta maûjhenta de blaga ! E t' a vezu sa mina kyéva en rakontan la chuta ? Ridikulo !
what-NOM.F.C bad-NOM.F.C of joke-NOM | and 2S have.2S see-PSTP 3S-POSS.ACC.F.C expression-ACC satisfied-ACC.F.C in tell-GER DEF-ACC.F.C punchline-ACC | ridiculous
What a bad joke! And did you see the satisfied look on his face when he got to the punchline? Ridiculous!
[:3]
Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Dec 2021 06:15 eisenjhé v - to raise, bring up (a person, animals) (< Lt. indico [cf. OF engier "to raise"] with archaic prefix eis- [< Lt. ex-])

Aprê avr eisenjheu leur fi, le Lizabéta e li Pirou î se son boutâ a-l eisenjhé de poula.
after have-INF raise-PSTP 3P.POSS son.ACC | DEF-NOM.F.N lizabéta-NOM and DEF-NOM.M.N pirou-NOM 3P.NOM 3.REFL be.3P put-PSTP.NOM.M.N to raise-INF PART chicken-ACC
After they'd raised their son, Lizabéta and Pirou started raising chickens.
Filling the void.
Dormouse559 wrote: 21 Dec 2021 07:26 konto pon veppro d' iver n. phr. - fairy tale, tall tale (lit. "tale for a winter's night")

Silvia developed a distinctive tradition of storytelling over its history. For centuries, winter nights in the high Alps left little to do besides gather with one's neighbors to do little household tasks, like knitting clothes, spinning yarn, and repairing tools. And with their hands thus occupied, people would sing songs and trade stories. Traditional Silvish fairy tales (also called konto de faza, literally "fairy tale") are typically set in actual, nearby locations (exactly where changes depending on the valley you're in), rather than in a kingdom far, far away. And some historians have argued that certain stories are mythologized versions of real events; for example, the tales of high mountain valleys whose residents were punished with eternal snow might echo glacial expansion in the Little Ice Age.
Outstanding! [<3]
Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Dec 2021 06:15 Thanks for the helpful info!
My pleasure! I'm glad it's helpful.
Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Dec 2021 06:15 Oh yeah, no worries. There's just been a lot of changes happening at work.
Ah, I completely understand. I'm glad to hear that everything's OK, though!
Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Dec 2021 06:15 You took the words out of my mouth! There are times when I trawl Wiktionary to find Germanic words with clusters like this; I want to play with the fun sound changes, dang it! An example of *hr → r that I know of in French is rosse "bitch, bastard" from Old Frankish *hross "horse".
Oh indeed, I've done that sort of thing on Wiktionary more times than I can count! [:D]
VaptuantaDoi:
Spoiler:
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 26 Dec 2021 06:54 I may have forgotten about this a little bit

[…]

kınkıɂ [ˈkʉŋ.ɡʉʔ] n. (kınekıne) Weak point, killspot (especially of large animals like gators which must be stabbed in a specific point to kill them easily); (meatphorically) weakness, flaw; (more rarely) rotten point, bruise on a fruit. From earlier *kınekıno, reanalysed as a reduplicated form, from MC kɨɾkɨɾ~-kɾɪkɾɔ, AC kārakaru; maybe from PB *gáu̯gekadu "damaged object" (from *gáu̯ge "weak, feeble") with influence by kākañaru "soft, mushy" from *ku̯ádedu "plantain".
No worries. Glad to see you back! [:D]

I'm particularly fond of this word.
Khemehekis:
Spoiler:
Khemehekis wrote: 26 Dec 2021 09:10 DAY 25

phelisanaphidad: merry Christmas
Borrowed from Spanish "Feliz Navidad". Argentina was the first place explorers from the Lehola Galaxy observed Christmas being celebrated when they visited Earth.
Excellent!

Próspero año y phelisidad.
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 26th - Lohdan
vilûnir [vi'lu:niɾ]
To think, to imagine
Etymology: vilun ("mind") + -ir (verbal suffix)
Example:
Na-vilûnî írac Lôgrad sîlovâ nalu rád satru-duv.
[nɑ vi'lu:ni: 'i:ɾɑk 'lo:gɾɑd si:lo'vɑ: 'nɑlu ɾɑ:d 'sɑtɾu duv]
1SG-imagine-SG.PRS how Lôgrad be-SG.COND.PRS all DET.PROX war-without
I'm imagining what Lôgrad could be like without all this war.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The LCV categories for Week 5, our final week:

Prepositions/Postpositions/Cases (the motion section) (Part II)
Spoiler:
by, alongside, beside
at (location: ~ home)
at (location: ~ school)
at (location: store, park, station, etc.)
at (location: ~ the concert)
at (site of an action: Joey cooks ~ home)
at (site of an action: Tom studies ~ Lopez High)
at (site of an action: store, park, station, etc.)
at (site of an action: Becky took photos ~ the Taylor Swift concert)
on (street)
in (city)
in (country)
in (compass point: ~ the east)
on (planet)
on
on (hit Rick ~ the head)
on (~ the ceiling)
on (be ~ a bus/train)
off
on (the left or right)
on (~ television)
on (I’m ~ my cellphone)
to (~ the east of Texas)
in (placement: Tom is ~ the living room)
in (action: Tom threw a party ~ the living room)
in (~ the air, sun)
in (vehicle)
out of (~ the hospital, prison)
against (~ the wall)
inside
outside
outside (~ the door)
above
below
up (the cat is ~ a tree)
up (they live ~ the street)
down (they live ~ the street)
on top of, atop
beneath, underneath
in front of, before
ahead of (in space)
behind, after
behind (hidden by)
before (in alphanumeric sequence)
after (in alphanumeric sequence)
to the left of
to the right of
from (50 miles ~ home)
within
within (~ 5 miles)
throughout (space)
near
next to
Places (Part IV)
Spoiler:
land (own ~)
field (farm)
field (grazing land)
patch (a ~ of grass)
garden (for flowers)
garden (for vegetables)
garden (public)
empire
country, nation, state, land
country (my ~), homeland
our country
foreign country
kingdom
monarchy (country that has monarchy)
republic
dictatorship (country that has dictatorship)
democracy (country that has democracy)
territory (a ~ of France)
state, province
county
district (of province/county)
city
town
village
capital (of nation)
capital (of state/province)
district (of city)
neighborhood (region)
country, countryside (rural area)
countryside (scenery)
suburb
city (urban area)
border (between countries)
part (this ~ of town)
side (of town)
property
avenue (tree-lined road)
avenue (wide street)
bridge
canal
crosswalk
grave, tomb
harbor, port
highway
intersection, corner
lane (on road)
parking lot
path, trail, route, way (for walking)
path, trail (small road)
railroad, railway
road (between towns/places)
road (in a built-up area)
sidewalk
street
track (left behind)
track (for BMX or auto racing)
tunnel
block
swimming pool
cobweb
nest (of birds)
trail, track (of snail, of footprints, etc.)
trail (of blood)
trail (of airplane)
building
apartment, flat
home, house*
housing (provision)
housing (houses)
estate
airport
bus stop
camp
castle
castle (fortified)
center (group of buildings)
day care center (for babies and toddlers)
day care center (for older children)
facility
factory
farm (small, for crops)
farm (large, for crops)
farm (small, for animals)
farm (large, for animals)
hall (public building)
hospital
jail
lab(oratory) (room for scientific work)
lab(oratory) (center for scientific work)
market (open-air)
office
office (doctor’s)
room (in office or other public building)
palace
park
post office
prison
school
station (for trains)
studio (of painter/sculptor)
studio (for recording music)
studio (movie)
studio (TV)
subway
tent
tower
wall (the Berlin ~)
zoo
church
synagogue
mosque
temple (Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, etc.)
temple (pagan)
town, the local city
downtown (business district)
downtown (shopping and entertainment district)
settlement (recently built)
settlement (in isolated area)
base (army ~)
bench
elevator
fountain
stand (hot dog ~)
playground (in park)
restroom
statue
traffic light
entrance
exit
atmosphere (ambience)
Mount, Mt.
More Places (Part V)
Spoiler:
amusement park
animal shelter
aquarium
botanical garden
cemetery
chapel
convent
dump
embassy
fire department
fort
greenhouse
homeless shelter
lighthouse
lock (for canal)
mansion
marina
mill
monastery
national park
police department
pyramid
retirement home
service station (for gas)
service station (for repairs)
skatepark
sphinx
stadium
warehouse
workshop (small)
workshop (large)
ruins
Establishments (Part IV)
Spoiler:
bakery
bank
bar, tavern, pub (with drinks only)
bar, tavern, pub (that sells both drinks and food)
bookstore
café
casino
cinema, movie theater
clinic
gallery (for displaying art for exhibition)
gallery (for displaying art for sale)
grocery store
gym
hotel, inn
hotel (Western-style)
room (in hotel)
library
mall
museum (art)
museum (science)
pharmacy, drugstore
restaurant
store, shop (small)
store, shop (large)
supermarket
theater
window (in a store)
More Establishments (Part V)
Spoiler:
arcade (for video games)
bistro
cake shop
candy store
cannabis club
club
coffeeshop
convenience store
dealership
deli
doughnut shop
dry-cleaner
flea market
hairdresser’s, barbershop
hardware store
jeweler’s
liquor barn
nightclub
pet shop
retail store
spa
tattoo parlor
thrift shop
Place Names, Ethnicities, Nationalities, Languages (Part V)
Spoiler:
U.K., Great Britain; British
England; English
Wales; Welsh
Scotland; Scottish
Ireland; Irish
Germany; German
Switzerland; Swiss
Austria; Austrian
Netherlands; Dutch
Sweden; Swedish
Denmark; Danish
Norway; Norwegian
Finland; Finnish
France; French
Spain; Spanish
Portugal; Portuguese
Italy; Italian
Greece; Greek
Hungary; Hungarian
Poland; Polish
Czech
Russia; Russian
Armenia; Armenian
Turkey; Turkish
Israel; Israeli
Jewish, Hebrew, Jew
Arab, Arabic
Palestine; Palestinian
Jordan; Jordanian
Iraq; Iraqi
Lebanon; Lebanese
Syria; Syrian
Egypt; Egyptian
Iran; Iranian, Persian, Farsi
Afghanistan; Afghan, Pushto
Pakistan; Pakistani; Urdu
India; Indian, Hindi
China; Chinese
Mandarin
Cantonese
Taiwan; Taiwanese
Japan; Japanese
Korea; Korean
Vietnam; Vietnamese
Cambodia; Cambodian, Khmer
Laos; Laotian, Lao
Thailand; Thai
Indonesia; Indonesian
Philippines; Filipino, Tagalog
Canada; Canadian
United States, U.S., America; American
Mexico; Mexican
Puerto Rico; Puerto Rican
Cuba; Cuban
Jamaica; Jamaican
Haiti; Haitian
Peru; Peruvian
Argentina; Argentinian
Chile; Chilean
Brazil; Brazilian
Nigeria; Nigerian
Kenya; Kenyan; Swahili
New Zealand; New Zealander
Australia; Australian
Europe; European
Middle East; Middle Eastern
Asia; Asian
Africa; African
North America; North American
American Indian, Native American
Hispanic, Latina, Latino
South America; South American
California
Texas
Florida
New York
Los Angeles
Washington
London
Paris
Rome; Roman, Latin
Athens
Tokyo
U.S.S.R.; Soviet
Verbs of Position (Part IV)
Spoiler:
to sit, to be sitting*
to sit down
to sit (of a bird: the parrot sat on Zach’s shoulder)
to stand, to be standing*
to stand up
to stand (in a particular place: ~ in line, ~ over there)
to stand (stop: Tom stood and waited for Becky)
to stand (of building)
to stand (of object)
to lie, to recline (on back)*
to lie down (on back)
to lie (on side)
to lie down (on side)
to lie (on stomach)
to lie down (on stomach)
to lie (of object)
to crouch (person)
to crouch (animal)
to squat (person)
to squat (animal)
to kneel, to be kneeling
to kneel down
to cross (one’s legs)
to bend (elbow, knee)
to spread (legs)
to spread (wings)
to straddle (while standing)
to straddle (while sitting)
to straddle (while sitting, around chair)
to straddle (while jumping)
to lean
to lean (for support: ~ on someone’s arm)
to hang
to fall*
to fall (from a great height)
to fall (of leaves)
to trip, to stumble
to rise (from chair)
to slip
to slide (glide)
to slide (in and out)
to slide (up and down)
to slide (~ down a rope)
to pose (for a picture)
to follow
to follow (a road)
to follow, to pursue (~ that car!)
to lead
to lead (a parade)
to line up (one in front of another)
to line up (side by side)
to spill (flow out, liquid)
to spill (flow out, grainy substance)
to wade
to wind (of a road)
to wind (of a stream/river)
to start, to begin (of a road)
to end (of a road)
to stick out (of a pocket or bag)
to collapse (of building)
to collapse (of roof)
to collapse (of tunnel)
to collapse (of bed, table)
to collapse (of people)
Emotions (Part IV)
Spoiler:
emotion, feeling
mood
good mood
bad mood
temper
boundary
strong (emotion)
weak (emotion)
intense (~ desire)
intense (~ excitement)
intense (~ feeling)
intense (~ friendship)
intense (~ love)
intense (~ hate)
to mean (you ~ a lot to me)
pain (emotional)
pleasure (emotional)
joy, happiness, delight / happy* (about) / happy / to elate / to delight, to thrill
sadness / sad*, unhappy (about) / sad / – / to sadden
fear / afraid* (of), scared (of) / scary / to fear / to frighten, to scare
anger / angry* (with), mad (at) / enraging / to rage / to infuriate
pride / proud (of) / – / to take pride / –
sorrow / sorry (for) / – / to lament / –
regret / sorry (for) / – / to regret / –
grief / grief-stricken (by) / – / to grieve / –
gladness / glad (that) / – / – / to gladden
calmness, tranquility, serenity / calm / calming / to calm down / to calm
tension / nervous, tense (about) / nerve-wracking / – / –
concern / worried, concerned (about) / – / to worry / –
excitement / excited (about) / exciting / – / to excite
interest / interested (in) / interesting / – / to interest
fascination / fascinated (with) / fascinating / – / to fascinate
boredom / bored (with) / boring, dull / – / to bore
surprise / surprised (at) / surprising / – / to surprise
amazement / amazed (at) / amazing, remarkable / – / to amaze
amusement / amused (by) / amusing, funny / – / to amuse
terror, horror / terrified, horrified (by) / terrifying, horrifying / – / to terrify, to horrify
disappointment / disappointed (with) / disappointing / – / to disappoint, to let down
embarrassment / embarrassed (about) / embarrassing / – / to embarrass
depression / depressed (about) / depressive / to brood / to depress
shock / shocked (at) / shocking / – / to shock
astonishment / stunned, astonished (by) / astonishing / – / to stun, to astonish
thrill / thrilled (with) / thrilling / – / to thrill
annoyance / annoyed (with) / annoying / – / to annoy, to bother
envy / jealous, envious (of) / – / to envy / –
confusion / confused (about) / confusing / – / to confuse
disturbance / disturbed (by) / disturbing / – / to disturb, to bother
heartbreak / heartbroken / heartbreaking / – / to break one’s heart
panic / panicky / – / to panic / –
satisfaction / satisfied (with) / satisfying / – / to satisfy
sympathy / sympathetic (to) / – / to sympathize / –
frustration / frustrated (with) / frustrating / – / to frustrate
offense / offended (by) / offensive / to take offense / to offend (hurt the feelings of)
offense / offended (by) / offensive / to take offense / to offend (make angry)
disgust / disgusted (by) / disgusting, gross / – / to disgust
suspicion / suspicious (of) / suspicious / to suspect / –
shame / ashamed (of) / shameful / – / –
guilt / guilty (about) / guilty / – / –
relief / relieved (about) / relieving / – / to relieve
inspiration / inspired (by) / inspiring / – / to inspire
despair / desperate (for) / – / to despair / –
– / overwhelmed (by) / overwhelming / – / to overwhelm
loneliness / lonely (for) / lonely / – / –
curiosity / curious (about) / curious / to wonder / –
pity / pitiful / pitiful, poor / to pity / –
temptation / tempted (by) / tempting / – / to tempt
gratitude / grateful (for) / ingratiating / – / to ingratiate
– / upset (with) / upsetting / – / to upset
– / sick (of), tired (of) / tiresome / to tire of / –
trauma / traumatized (by) / traumatic / – / to traumatize
Feeling Verbs (Part IV)
Spoiler:
to feel (emotionally)
to like (a person)
to like (find to one’s taste, e.g. coffee, the speaker’s like)
to like (find to one’s taste, e.g. coffee, another person’s like)
to enjoy, to like
to appeal to (this appeals to the teen crowd)
to impress
to love (romantically, eros), to adore*
to love (storge)
to love (as a friend, philia)*
to love (something, philia, the speaker’s love)
to love (something, philia, another person’s love)
to love (agape)
to appreciate (advice, help, kindness)
to appreciate (fine food, music)
to admire (respect)
to admire (appreciate)
to cherish, to treasure (a possession)
to cherish, to treasure (life)
to cherish, to treasure (a memory)
to prefer
to dislike (the speaker’s dislike)
to dislike (another person’s dislike)
to hate (the speaker’s hate)
to hate (another person’s hate)
to hate (I ~ to bother you, but . . .)
to approve of, to favor (something)
to disapprove of (something)
to approve of, to favor (someone)
to disapprove of (someone)
to be used to
to miss (feel sad because someone is not around)
to mourn
to recover, to get over
to carry on, to go on (give me the strength to ~)
to get along
to hope
to want, would like (a thing)
to want, would like (to do)
to want, would like (X to do Y)
to long, to yearn, to die
to be unable to wait
to wish
to wish (a counterfactual: I ~ I were thinner)
to be eager to
to feel like (I ~ a popsicle)
to refuse to
to dare to (have the courage to)
to dare to (have the audacity to)
to care (I don’t ~ what he says)
to care (no one ~s about it)
to relate to (empathize with)
to get used to
to deal with, to cope with
to tackle (grapple with, broach)
to have a good time
Thinking Verbs (Part IV)
Spoiler:
to think (cogitate)*
to figure, to suppose
to guess, to suppose (I ~)
to assume
to think (hold an opinion)
to think (I ~ I’ll get a hamburger)
to believe, to think
to think (yĭwéi – recently corrected misconception: Sorry, I thought you said ‘mm-hmm’)
to take, to adopt (a position)
to believe in (God)
to believe in (ghosts, etc.)
to view, to perceive (in a certain way)
to consider (I ~ him stupid)
to consider, to regard (~ed innocent until proven guilty)
to consider, to think about
to take into consideration
to identify with
to find (I ~ it offensive)
to change one’s mind
to agree (one person)
to disagree (one person)
to agree (multiple people)
to disagree (multiple people)
to agree (we ~d to take the bus)
to accept (behavior or conditions)
to accept (an offer)
to reject
to stand, to bear, to put up with, to tolerate
to resist (temptation)
to support
to oppose
to have a problem with
to wonder [if/when/how/what/why . . .]
to decide, to make up one’s mind
to decide to
to expect (anticipate)
to expect (~ perfect grades)
to mind, to object
to trust (have faith in)
to rely on, to count on (I know I can ~ you)
to rely on, to depend on (Jeff relies on his parents for money)
to doubt
to question (don’t ~ authority)
to question (facts, findings)
to challenge (question)
to dismiss (a thought, a theory)
to dismiss (a proposal, a suggestion)
to dismiss (a threat, a danger)
to know (information)*
to know (a person)*
to know (a language)
to know (a place)
not to know what to do
to get to know
to have heard of
to hear about
to hear about (receive news)
to recognize (be able to identify)
to recognize (~ symptoms)
to recognize, to acknowledge
to tell apart
to tell (distinguish)
to understand, to see
to interpret, to take (construe)
to guess (estimate)
to guess (conjecture)
to guess (surmise correctly: how did you ~?)
to imagine (form mental images)
to dream (have an oneiric experience)
to dream, to aspire
to forgive
to learn (through study)
to learn (acquire a skill, such as riding a bicycle)
to learn (find out: today I ~ed that . . .)
to absorb (information, knowledge)
to find out, to discover
to encounter, to come across
to encounter (~ difficulty)
to discover (place, species, element)
to discover (fact, the truth)
to see (~ how it tastes)
to realize (be aware of)
to realize (mentally grasp)
to resolve, to decide (make a firm decision)
to remember, to recall (be able to pull up: I can’t ~ her name)
to remember (have in one’s memory: I ~ the time when I was 7 . . .)
to remember (doing something: I ~ seeing Tiffany before)
to remember (to do something: I ~ed to lock the door)
to remember (make a point of remembering: ~ this tip)
to forget (be unable to pull up)
to forget (to do something)
to be sure to (~ turn the lights off)
to concentrate
to focus
to figure out
to conclude (deduce)
to solve
to resolve (crisis)
to overcome, to conquer (a fear)
to overcome, to conquer (temptation)
to prepare (get ready psychologically)
to plan to
to mean to, to intend
to check (examine for accuracy)
to check (verify)
to make sure
to calculate (with exact methodology)
to calculate (estimate)
to construct (a theory, an argument)
to examine (an issue, evidence)
to expand (knowledge)
to ignore (a person or group of people)
to ignore (warnings, advice)
to listen to (take X’s words to heart)
to search for, to seek (a solution)
to search for, seek (happiness)
to seek (friendship)
to seek (advice, help)
to study (Prof. O’Brien ~ed the tribe in Indonesia)
to assess (student, work)
to assess (cost)
to assess (damage)
to assess (problem, situation)
to assess (abilities)
to evaluate
to evaluate (results)
to evaluate (evidence)
to evaluate, to assess (person)
to neglect (a child, pet)
to neglect (one’s duty)
to neglect (work)
to neglect (a house)
to keep track (of) (movements, developments)
to lose track (of) (movements, developments)
to be absorbed in (Natalie is absorbed in her music)
to be stuck (Ken is stuck on this math problem)
to project (extrapolate)
to project (extrapolate profit/expenses/number)
Thought (Part IV)
Spoiler:
agreement (concurrence)
approval (praise)
approval (Bush’s ~ ratings)
assessment (of value)
assessment (of damage)
assessment (of situation, problem)
assessment (of employees, students)
evaluation
assumption (supposition)
assumption (presupposition)
attention (directing of the mind, as in class)
attention (attention span)
attention (Lydia tapped Jim on the shoulder to get his ~)
attitude
awareness
blur (in memory)
concentration
concern (it shouldn’t be Jessica’s ~)
consideration (thought)
consideration (factor)
contribution (to discussion, debate)
decision
doubt (lack of certainty)
dream
expectation (hope)
expectation (belief)
feeling (I’ve got a ~)
faith, trust
flow (of thought, speech)
goal
hate
idea (good ~)
idea (I have no ~)
ignorance (as a general problem)
ignorance (of certain facts)
imagination (it’s all in your ~)
impression (make a good ~)
impression (I got the ~ that Sarah liked me)
insight (not much ~)
insight (I just had an ~)
intention
interest (something one is interested in)
interpretation (of words)
interpretation (of literature, song)
interpretation (of law, constitution)
interpretation (of dream)
investigation (an ~ into a phenomenon)
investigation (this phenomenon is under ~)
knowledge
knowledge (learning)
memory (skill at remembering)
memory (remembered incident or sensation)
mind (thoughts)
neglect (of child, pet)
neglect (of duty)
neglect (of work)
neglect (of house)
nightmare
notion (belief)
notion (vague idea)
observation (act of noticing)
objection
opinion
perception (of difference, importance, facts, someone’s character)
personality
perspective
plan (intention)
preference (greater liking)
preference (preferred thing)
range (of knowledge)
recognition (of problem, fact)
recognition (of achievement)
regards (give Claire my ~)
research (academic)
resolution (firm decision, of individual)
resolution (firm decision, of committee)
search (for solution)
search (for happiness)
sleep
nap
nap (after lunch)
to wake (someone up)
thought (I had a ~)
understanding (comprehension)
urge (I got the ~ to scream)
urge (sexual ~s)
will
wish
sure, certain
not sure
sure (convinced)
not sure (not convinced)
aware
reasonable (a ~ request)
right (not mistaken)
wrong (mistaken)
informed (~ citizen)
informed (~ choice, ~ opinion)
sensible (advice)
sensible (decision)
sensible (approach)
sensible (price)
obvious, clear
obvious, clear (danger, target)
clear (intelligible, unambiguous)
vague (idea)
vague (memory)
brilliant (plan)
brilliant (idea)
stimulating (mentally ~)
stimulating (conversation)
stimulating (atmosphere, environment)
familiar (I’m not ~ with it)
basic (technology)
advanced (technology)
to challenge (the course didn’t ~ Andy enough)
to distract (a person)
to distract (attention)
to erase (a memory)
Linking Verbs (Part IV) -- goes with States of Being
Spoiler:
to be (permanent)
to be (state)
to be (it’s cold outside)
to prove (linking verb)
to stay, to remain
to become, to get (happy, sad)
to become, to get, to turn (old)
to become, to get (thin, fat, stronger)
to become, to get, to turn (difficult)
to become, to get (boring)
to become, to get (pregnant)
to turn (red)
to turn, to go (sour, rotten)
to become (with predicate noun, e.g. become a lawyer)
to be (Lydia wants to ~ a singer)
to grow (become increasingly)
to seem, to appear to be
to look (seem: it ~s rotten)
to look (aesthetically: Kate ~s beautiful in a black blouse)
to sound
to feel (~ rough)
to smell
to taste
to act
to be (be behaving a certain way: Gwen is ~ing silly)
to test (~ negative for HIV)
Physical Condition (Part IV)
Spoiler:
(to be) hungry
(to be) thirsty
(to be) full
(to be) tired (from work)
exhausted, bushed
(to be) tired, sleepy
drowsy
(to be) cold
(to be) hot
healthy, well
sick, ill, unwell (physically)
in pain
comfortable
uncomfortable
pregnant
awake
asleep
conscious
unconscious
dead
dead (in a tragedy: 15 are reported ~)
alive, living
drunk
high, stoned
sober
dizzy
naked, nude
bare (with my ~ hands)
bare (feet, arms, legs, chest)
bare (head)
numb (of body)
numb (fingers, toes)
safe (opposite of in danger)
in danger
safe (unharmed)
OK, all right (are you ~?)
armed
Reality (Part IV)
Spoiler:
true
false
real
real (passport, ID)
real (diamond)
real (name)
real (the ~ reason)
real, actual
real, genuine
fake (passport, ID)
fake (diamond)
fake (name)
fake (beard, moustache)
fictional
fictional (character)
real, true, veritable
alleged
so-called
natural (flavor)
artificial (flavor)
artificial (leg)
natural (skill)
possible (can happen/exist)
impossible (cannot happen/exist)
possible (can be done)
impossible (cannot be done)
potential (~ uses)
potential (~ reader, listener)
potential (~ success)
ideal (adjective)
liable, likely
unlikely
likely (candidate, choice)
unlikely (candidate, choice)
likely (story)
unlikely (story)
ridiculous
possibility
remote (~ possibility)
to be bound to, to be destined to
to be (Zach is a boy)
to exist (animate)
to exist (inanimate)
existence
existing
existing (~ rules)
to last (of food)
to last (of shoes, car)
to last (of weather)
to last (of relationship, tradition)
to last (to extend in time: of a meeting, etc.)
to arise
to appear (problem, symptom)
to disappear, to vanish (problem, symptom)
to happen, to occur
to go on, to be happening (What is going on here?)
to take place
to come true
to break out (of protests, violence, war)
to break out (of a fire)
to prevent (an illness)
to prevent (a disaster)
to prevent (an accident)
to prevent (a crime)
prevention (of illness)
prevention (of disaster)
prevention (of accident)
prevention (of crime)
to occur, to pop up
to come (be available in)
to show up
to fade (of colors)
to fade (of sounds)
to fade (of memories)
to fool
to prove
to identify (a problem)
to identify (a body)
to turn into
to pretend (feign)
to pretend (make-believe)
to confirm (theory, statement, report, story)
to confirm (fears)
to confirm (appointment, date)
to turn out (work out: How did it ~?)
to turn out (be revealed to be)
chance (likelihood)
presence (of thing)
absence (of thing)
fact
reality
truth
case (instance)
evidence
proof
proof (physical proof)
mistake, error
identity (who one is)
nature (the way a thing is)
nature (human ~)
tendency (inclination)
opposite
image (picture)
image (to the public)
condition, state
reverse (sequence)
status (present condition)
creation (making)
creation (founding)
destruction (physical)
destruction (metaphorical)
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Próspero año y phelisidad.
[xD]
Last edited by Khemehekis on 27 Dec 2021 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Jack:
Spoiler:
- the word jallondes is indeed cognate with IRL Galician xalundes; it comes from ja < Latin iam, plus Old Leon allunde "from anywhere" (the -s is unetymological). This is directly from Latin correlative alicunde "from somewhere, for which see https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alicunde. [:D]

- compare IRL Portuguese jaleco (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jaleco) meaning lab coat, from Turkish; obviously in boralverse the semantic shift is slightly different.

Thanks so much for the complimentary feedback on my posts! Feels like a whole extra Christmas present [<3]

fuyo (goul-roug) /faˈjo gulˈruj/ robin (redbreast), one of various passerine birds having a red breast and especially the European robin Erithacus rubecula

Etymology: the epithet goul-roug (literally "red throat", the words coming directly from Latin gula rubea) is the older term, used alone for the bird since the Old Boral period. The addition (and eventual takeover) of the word fuyo occurs in the fifteenth century for unclear reasons.

The first name Fuyo is attested from around the same time as its use for the bird, which is unhelpful. It may be a rendition of a dialect pronunciation of figl "child" (or a diminutive thereof), although this doesn't explain the early variants such as sfiyo, sviogh et cetera. Attempts to connect the word to Germanic descendants of sparuó "sparrow" are phonetically untenable.

Fuyo joun ern cantant, aziant sull'eç ranscel.
/faˈjo ʒun ɛ.rn̩ kanˈtant | aˈzjant siˈlɛts ranˈxɛl/
[fɐˈʝo ʒun ɛːŋ kɐnˈtant | ɐˈzjant sɪˈlɛts ʀɐŋˈçɛw]
robin young be.imp-3p sing-ptcp.prs | stand-ptcp.prs on.def=pl.prx branch
Young robins were singing, stood on the branches.

excerpted from Neyanç a Sagnt Stevan (Saint Stephen's Snowfall), a short story penned in 1980 by Borlish author Fuyo Jaðom, adapted from the tales he would tell his children when they were young.

Havan son haut parmy loy outem por volour. Toð gent la es hastant, commovent e se peyaçant atorn.
Ports are one of the best places for thieves. Everyone there is in a hurry, bustling about and smacking into each other.

La son y marcant desirant for repaðrir cas lou; maðr annoyað attenent a lourell'ivan appreuçar.
There are the tired businessmen just wanting to get home; harried mothers trying to corral their kids.

Tant de diversion e sorc a assistr coin bempart a gent de cur demay dar ag vertað ig il vien de denir osc de rouvaç.
So many distractions and concerns keep most people from paying too close attention to the fact they’ve just had their money lifted.

Bempart a gent.
Most people.

Nial sta treç annað eld, y joun trencsachet outem all'oc cost dy Becovin e cos enter outr foutuð.
Nial was thirteen years old, the best youth pickpocket this side of the Becouin and totally, completely fucked.

"Hau la," dis y segr sy vain pognant par mordaç inscapabr. L'aye son broscan eð ogl ricotant tandic i sgarda ig Nial attene a fugr ne varmant.
“Hey now,” said the man who held his wrist in an unbreakable grip. His accent was Brosick, and his eyes were laughing as Nial tried to squirm away.
Last edited by Jackk on 27 Dec 2021 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Week five:

Day 26:
Shóʰ /ʂo˥˧/
N. Mountain

27:
Réˀⁿ /ɹẽ˧˥/
N. Mine

Bˀòr /po:˧˩/
"Mountain pass"

Tȁʰ /tʰɛ˩˧/
"Cliff"

Mïȕˀⁿ
/mjỹ˩˧/
"Glacier"

Hyáⁿ /çã˥/
"City; City-state"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

21 d' leksembro

neli/nelitye adj - left (direction); clumsy, awkward (< Lt. neglectus)
nelitye nfc - left

The term coexists with guaûçho (cf. Fr. gauche) but is more limited geographically, becoming more common as one travels east.

Sivê çetta ruiye e vou vverê la biblyotéka a vottra nelitye.
follow-IMP.2.FORM DEM-ACC.F.C road-ACC and 2.FORM see-FUT-2.FORM DEF-ACC.F.C library-ACC at 2.FORM-POSS-ACC.F.C left-ACC
Follow this road, and you'll see the library on your left.

22 d' leksembro

defendre v - to defend, protect, support; to forbid, prohibit, not allow (< Lt. defendo)

When a noun is being defended or forbidden, it is the direct object. The noun against which it is being defended, or for which it has been forbidden, is the indirect object. Introducing a basic subordinate clause, defendre can mean only "forbid (from doing sth)", and the clause goes in the imperfect subjunctive, which reflects the speaker's expectation that the forbidden action will not happen; the "forbiddee" remains the indirect object.

Mo-z enfan i mm' on defendu k' entréso dyê leur çhambre.
1S-POSS.NOM.M.C=PL kid 3 PL-1S.DAT have.3S forbid-PSTP SBRD enter-IPF_SBJV-1S in 3P.POSS room
My kids won't allow me to go in their rooms.

L' e ddefendu ke fumése.
3S be.3S forbid-PSTP SBRD smoke-IPF_SBJV-3S
Smoking is prohibited.

(For an example of the "defend" meaning, see the Lexember 23 entry.)

23 d' leksembro

akordonà v - to agree (to sth), consent (to sth), accept (< Old Silvish acort donar "give agreement")

This verb takes an indirect object. It focuses on the action of giving assent, rather than a state of being in agreement. For the latter, prefer ettre d' akor.

Jho m' atenyivo a dre defendre ma soujjestyon, mê mou kkolégo i lly on vitto akordonó.
1S.NOM 1S.REFL wait-IPF-1S at need-INF defend-INF 1S-POSS.ACC.F.C suggestion | but 1S-POSS.NOM.M.C.PL coworker 3.NOM 3S.DAT have.3P quickly agree-PSTP
I expected I would have to defend my suggestion, but my coworkers quickly agreed to it.

24 d' leksembro

kréçhe nfc - Nativity scene; manger (< Frankish *krippija)
santon nmc - Nativity figurine (< Occitan santon "little saint")

Bouten lou santon dyê li kréçhï.
put-IMP.1P DEF-M.C.P figurine in DEF-OBL.F.C nativity_scene-OBL
Let's put the figurines in the Nativity scene.

25 d' leksembro

poinsetyà nmc / ettéla de Çhalenda nfc - poinsettia (poinsetyà < Fr. poinsettia / ettéla de Çhalenda = lit. "star of Christmas")

Î-z on pû de poinsetyà / d' ettéla de Çhalenda aû merçheu.
3.NOM-PL no_more of poinsettia | of star of Christmas at.DEF.M market
They're out of poinsettias at the market.

26 d' leksembro

kalendra nfcpl - the 12 days of Christmas, Dec. 26 to Jan. 6 (semilearned borrowing < Lt. Calendae; doublet of Çhalenda "Christmas")

Each of the 12 days following Christmas represents a month of the new year. In particular, good weather on Dec. 26 foretells a mild January.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 What's the etymology of the word for "Muslim" (ʻálavetas?), if I might ask? I assume it has something to do with "Allah", but the word also reminds me of this.
The word for Muslim is ʻálavet (ʻálavetas is the adjective "of Muslim belief") and yep, it derives from Allah + -vet "believing in". The word for Jew, iavelet, is created with the same idea in mind. I also saw the problem that it sounds very similar to "Alevi" - and also to "Alawis", which are two different things on its own even in English - but then it was already too late to change it. "Alawite" is álavit in Yélian, I don't have a word for "Alevite".
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 I like the sound of tèrek! Is Yélian related to Proto-Mendric?
Proto-Mendric is, in my conhistory, the common ancestor of Yélian and Caelian, but both languages split a couple of thousand years ago. Note that I'm not doing systematic diachronic conlanging, I just take similarities and invent roots from that point on.
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Oh, "abonnement" is a new word for me in English!
Yeah... I learnt now that just like "Advent wrath", it doesn't exist [:)] The English word would be "subscription". I came to create new words in Yélian, I stayed to learn new words in English, apparently.
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Oh, interesting! I can't say I'm familiar with "First Advent, Second Advent, Third Advent, Fourth Advent". Based on the fact that this word literally means "last Advent", are these the last four days before Christmas?
Another wrong English word from my side [:)] In German, "First Advent" refers to the first sunday of Advent, and so on. So, I referred to the last four Sundays before Christmas.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 27 Dec 2021 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 27 - Yélian

coʻetada [kɔ̈ʔəˈtaːdɐ] - to frustrate
coʻetadas [kɔ̈ʔəˈtaːdɐʃ] - frustrated
coʻetadasé [kɔ̈ʔəˌtaːdɐˈseː] - frustration

Etymology: coʻet "wall" + fad "terminative prefix, here exceptionally as a suffix" + verbal suffix -a, adjective suffix -as or nominalizer -sé. Literally "being stopped by a wall"

Reo bèsic cibetálpuyefandet cùs rat yiværfirtreyut cùtpod. Cerenpèsceren narcoʻetadasbocai.
[ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈbɛsɨk‿kɨbəˌtaːlpʉʃəˈɸandət‿ʉs ɾat ɕɨʋəˌɾiɾtˈɾeːʃʉt ˈkʉpɔ̈d | kəɾənˈpɛskəɾən nɐɾkɔ̈ˈʔəˌtaːdɐsˈboːkaɪ̯]
1SG.POSS code NEG-still_not_yet-work-3SG even_though 1SG.OBL PST-try-improve-INV.3SG.INAN one_hundred_times | step_by_step really-frustrated-become-1SG
My code still doesn't work even though I have went over it a hundred times. I'm getting more and more frustrated.

Bonus word:

bèsic [ˈbɛsɨk] - programming code
Etymology: english basic, from one of the early programming languages Basic.
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Very interesting! Does devil mean "godly"?
Yes, it does. No relationship to the similar English word. It is the adjectival form of devi "god."
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Mándinrùh wrote: 27 Dec 2021 13:39
Yes, it does. No relationship to the similar English word. It is the adjectival form of devi "god."
A false friend if there ever was one!
♂♥♂♀

Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 27th - Lohdan
krulîdar [kɾu'li:dɑɾ]
To mourn
Etymology: from krûdav ("death") + belîdar ("to cry", "to weep"), literally meaning "to weep death"
Example:
An tûr krulîdâ id krûdav tûrac.
[ɑ̃: tu:ɾ kɾu'li:dɑ: id 'kɾu:dɑv 'tu:ɾɑc]
DEF.SG people mourn-SG.PRS INDF.SG death king
The people are mourning the king's death.

krulîdav [kɾu'li:dɑv]
Mourning
Etymology: nominalized form of krulîdar
Example:
Lôgrad-duc, dîvô torra lînavin krulîdav.
['lo:gɾɑd duk 'di:vo: 'torɑ li:nɑ'vĩ: kɾu'li:dɑv]
Lôgrad-at there.be-SG.AOR many song-PL mourning
In Lôgrad, there are many songs of mourning (see cultural note #1)

krûdâtur [kɾu:'dɑ:tuɾ]
Cemetery
Etymology: from krûdâ (dead (noun)) + -tur ("place"), literally meaning "place of the dead"
Example:
Tu varo sîlô krûdâtur-duc, háv tu hilon sîlô Sohad-duc.
[tu 'vɑɾo 'si:lo: kɾu:'dɑ:tuɾ duk Rɑ:v tu Ri'lõ: 'si:lo: 'soRɑd duk]
3SG.POSS.SG body be-SG.AOR cemetery-at but 3SG.POSS.SG soul be-SG.AOR heaven-at
Her body is on a cemetery, but her soul is in heaven.

tûrodal ['tu:ɾodɑl]
Hall of the Dead (see cultural note #2)
Etymology: from tûrac ("queen" or "king") + rodal ("rest"), literally meaning "monarch's rest"
Example:
An varo Lohin ùn-sîlô tûrodal-duc daran?
Daran tu varo dâkâ sîlâ sirôdâ piran.
[ɑ̃: 'vɑɾo lo'Rĩ: ũ: 'si:lo: 'tu:ɾodɑl duk dɑ'ɾɑ̃:]
[dɑ'ɾɑ̃: tu 'vɑɾo 'dɑ:kɑ: 'si:lɑ: si'ɾo:dɑ: pi'ɾɑ̃:]
DEF.SG body Lohin not-be-SG.AOR hall.of.the.dead-at why
because 3SG.POSS.SG body have-SG.PRS be-SG.PSTPART find-SG.PSTPART never
Why isn't Lohin's body on the Hall of the Dead?
Because her body was never found. (see cultural note #3)

Cultural note #1: on the "songs of mourning"
"Lînavin krulîdav" or "songs of mourning" are songs in tribute to the dead. They are usually sung during burials, but many people will sing them to themselves while in mourning.

Cultural note #2: cemeteries and the Hall of the Dead
Usually in Lôgrad, the dead are buried in cemeteries. However, the bodies of the monarchs of Lôgrad and all of their families are kept in what is called the "Hall of the Dead", an impressive building in the capital Halárad. There, their bodies are preserved using special techniques so that they look exactly as they did when they died.
All cemeteries as well as the Hall of the Dead have a shrine dedicated to Krun, the god of the dead.

Cultural note #3: on the death of Lohin
Lohin was the seventh ruler of Lôgrad and the founder of the Empire of Lôssolhov. She disappeared during the First Great War on the Battle of the Oyuahya, when the forces of the Lohtûrin assaulted the capital of Oyureh, a neighbouring kingdom whose population is considered "a bunch of heretic elves" by the Lohtûrin. Nobody knows what actually happened to the queen: some people say that she was killed in the battle and that the elves fed her body to the dogs, while others say that she was taken by the elves as a captive and then sacrificed in the altar of Anlan. However, something every Lohtûr agrees on is that when Lôgrad manages to assault the capital of Oyureh once more, the ghosts of Lohin and all the Lohtûrin who died in that battle will come down from the heavens and help defeat the "evil heretic elves" once and for all.

Cultural note #4: on the usage of "tûrac":
In English, the words "king" and "queen" are used to distinguish the sex of the monarch. This is not how "tûrac" and "sîrac" are used in Lohdan. Tûrac is used to refer to the actual monarch, the one who has power and has inherited the throne, and sîrac is used to refer to the tûrac's spouse, who doesn't really have any power. The word tûrakelin (that is, the dual of "tûrac") is used to refer to the tûrac and the sîrac, while tûrakin (the plural of "tûrac") is used to refer to any two (or more) tûracs.

That was a lot of cultural notes today!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 27

Hannaito (Entry 27):

yau /jau/ [ˈjau̯]
Noun:
1. river
2. stream, brook, creek, tributary
3. riverbed
4. flow, rivulet, stream
5. current
6. watercourse, canal, channel
7. gutter, pipe
8. flood, overflow, inundation
9. an inconveniently large quantity of something

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *yaw "river, stream, current, flood, channel".

Mándinrùh wrote: 27 Dec 2021 13:39
I figured it was most likely a coincidence. Absolutely fantastic!

Iyionaku wrote: 27 Dec 2021 09:47
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 What's the etymology of the word for "Muslim" (ʻálavetas?), if I might ask? I assume it has something to do with "Allah", but the word also reminds me of this.
The word for Muslim is ʻálavet (ʻálavetas is the adjective "of Muslim belief") and yep, it derives from Allah + -vet "believing in". The word for Jew, iavelet, is created with the same idea in mind. I also saw the problem that it sounds very similar to "Alevi" - and also to "Alawis", which are two different things on its own even in English - but then it was already too late to change it. "Alawite" is álavit in Yélian, I don't have a word for "Alevite".
Ah, so ʻálavet is "Muslim" as a noun and ʻálavetas is "Muslim" as an adjective. Having the basic word for "Muslim" and the word for "Alawite" end up sounding so similar is a very interesting "problem" to have!
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Oh, "abonnement" is a new word for me in English!
Yeah... I learnt now that just like "Advent wrath", it doesn't exist [:)] The English word would be "subscription". I came to create new words in Yélian, I stayed to learn new words in English, apparently.
Well, for whatever it's worth, "abonnement" evidently is a word in English… it's just far more specific in meaning than "subscription". So, I suppose we've both learned something! [:D]
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Oh, interesting! I can't say I'm familiar with "First Advent, Second Advent, Third Advent, Fourth Advent". Based on the fact that this word literally means "last Advent", are these the last four days before Christmas?
Another wrong English word from my side [:)] In German, "First Advent" refers to the first sunday of Advent, and so on. So, I referred to the last four Sundays before Christmas.
Apparently, the first Sunday of Advent, at least, can be called "First Advent Sunday" in English, although I'm personally more familiar with the Eastern Orthodox traditions than the Western Christian ones, so I can't say how common this is.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Cultural note #4: on the usage of "tûrac":
In English, the words "king" and "queen" are used to distinguish the sex of the monarch. This is not how "tûrac" and "sîrac" are used in Lohdan. Tûrac is used to refer to the actual monarch, the one who has power and has inherited the throne, and sîrac is used to refer to the tûrac's spouse, who doesn't really have any power. The word tûrakelin (that is, the dual of "tûrac") is used to refer to the tûrac and the sîrac, while tûrakin (the plural of "tûrac") is used to refer to any two (or more) tûracs.
So in other words:

tûrac = monarch regnant
sîrac = monarch consort
♂♥♂♀

Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Khemehekis wrote: So in other words:

tûrac = monarch regnant
sîrac = monarch consort
Oh, I didn't know there were words for that. Thanks!