A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Jackk
roman
roman

Re: Lexember 2021

Post by Jackk »

30m Lexembr
jarry /ʒaˈri/ [ʒɐˈʀi]
- pottery, earthenware, fired ceramic objects that contain clay and are sculpted into shape;
- (specifically) bowls, jugs, vases, clay-fired objects used to contain liquids or other pourable goods;
- (colloquially) stuff, mess, various items strewn all over or in the way

Etymology: formed regularly in early Middle Boral from jar "clay pot" and the suffix -ry (compare veðry "glassware", argentry "silverware"). The noun comes via Norman or Vascon from Arabic جَرَّة‎ (jarra) "earthenware pot", and in the modern language has only restricted usage for small containers of medicine, spices or similar goods.

Jarry accendað dan aer cordial ag salon.
/ʒaˈri ˌak.tsɛnˈdaθ dan aˈɛr kɔrˈdjal ɛj saˈlɔn/
[ʒɐˈʀi ˌak.sɪnˈdah dan ɛː kʊːˈdjaw ɛj sɐˈlɔn]
pottery light.up-ptcp.pst give-imp.3p air welcoming to.def parlour
Pottery lamps gave the parlour a welcoming feel.

---

translation of an excerpt from the short story L'Ange et L'Ingéni (The Angel and the Automaton), written in the early years of the twentieth century by an anonymous author and first published as part of the Cann Promethean Society's 1914 collection of discourses and tales.

"Ja," acquïsceu l'ansc, movent por sy nucq frottar. "Ja, cal es ig meyon deut fair?"
"Fine," the angel acquiesces, reaching to rub the back of his neck. "Fine, what should I do?"

Cos final l'es pesant a l'oc Creation gournar luy meðes; pu ac tant l'es commant carnt, sorc dant a Bologin con—uncos autr. "Dayað mey lengaç," dis i.
At last he's thinking of enforcing his own control of this Creation; even then he looks for orders, which is concerning and—something else. "Give me languages," Bulodgin says.

"Pardon?"
"I'm sorry?"

"Vos eð me resors an hour eð un loy dont y lengaç n'ay jo rien—donc dayað mey lou," dis Bologin, ant may presumenç ny vois all'ig seyon sentið. Lonc y poy stoir seyon oïð, l'oc sey un rescaunç magn may frailessem a cascun ja acavað par Josue.
"You have remade me in a time and place of whose languages I know nothing—so give me them," Bulodgin says, with more confidence in his voice than he feels. From the few tales he's heard, this would be far more delicate a rewriting than Josue has yet managed.

Josue luy scut un sgart increint e Bologin luy resgart toð rigiscent. "Vos eð un hom forgað ne pieðr; scur es ig vos posseð l'instroir a parolar."
Josue gives him an incredulous glance and Bulodgin looks back, steady. "You have made a man from stone; surely now you might teach him to speak."
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 30 - Yélian

devetstana [ˌdeːʋətˈstaːnɐ] - to demolish, knock down; as a verb in inverse voice: to crumble, to collapse, to fall apart
Etymology: devet "debris, shards, crumbs" + stana "to defeat"

Tap yéliun un'evîyial on'uzad roperdevetstanet u'sifunaîyoniypas. Diselivesost pi cioirincuravat.
[tap ˈʃeːlɪ̯ʉn ʉnəˈʋiːɕɪ̯ɐl ɔ̈nˈuːɟad ɾɔ̈pəɾˌdeːʋətˈstaːnət ʉˌsiɸʉˈnaɪ̯ʃɔ̈ˌna̯iːpɐs | dɨˈseːlɨʋəsɔ̈s‿pi kɨˌɔʊ̯ɾɨnˈkuːɾɐʋɐt]
after moon DEF.INAN=administration DEF.GEN=city FUT-INGR-demolish-3SG DEF.INAN=river_bridge-small | COND-wish-COND.INV.1PLEX that NEG-close-come-JUS.2PL
The city administration will start the demolition of the small river bridge tomorrow. Please do not come close.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 30

Weddisch
turf (pl. túrf)
/tʊɾf/
1. peat

The following words are basically all synonyms as are their English cognates. I have this provided the translation for the closest English cognate.

móer (pl. móres)
/møːɾ/
1. moor

bouech (pl. boues ~ bous)
/boʊəx/
1. bog
From Scottish Gaelic bogach “bog” cognate with English “bog.”

sump (pl. sumpen)
/zʊmp/
1. swamp

mêrsch (pl. mêrsche)
/meɾʃ/
1. marsh
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 31 - Yélian

capasé [ˌkapɐˈseː] - regret, sorrow, regretfulness
Etymology: capa "to regret" + nominalizer -sé

USAGE NOTES: If you regret something you have done, you normally use the verb in Yélian. However, if you regret a missed chance because of something you haven't done, the noun is used more regularly.

Dilosareyvain pi capai ciyt vit yireyai desiý nanai capasé can ciyt vit ciyireyai.
[dɨˌlosɐˈreʃvaɪ̯n pɨ ˈcaːpaɪ̯ ka̯iːt vɨt ɕɨˈɾeːʃaɪ̯ dəˈsa̯iː ˈnaːnaɪ̯ ˌkapɐˈseː kɐn ˈka̯iːt vɨt‿ɨɕɨˈɾeːʃaɪ̯]
COND-prefer-COND.1SG that regret-1SG something REL PST-do-1SG before feel-1SG regret for something REL NEG-PST-do-1SG
I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I haven't done.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Happy Lexember, everybody:

I had, late in November, planned to join in on Lexember festivities, but I just didn't have time, or the mental capacity to really do it most of the early days. I remembered sometime around 12/20, and realized that participating with just words wasn't going to be enjoyable or "justifiable". So instead, I decided to translate some tweet-poetry I had made over the last year. They're all individually connected to a theme, tenuously.

Jan 26:
I just realized I lost something, not something physical, but something deeper, in days where the sun’s deep pink falling hues would paint the sky, a little red orange outside as I dream of a loving world that’s older, weary and yet naïve of the future to come

Hwi1-ang2 hoy3 hyar zěr2-ma1 hoy3 yě1-gui4, güy2-ca1 khur4-jo1, gu phas1 gëw3, jwë4 traj1 jar3 den1-ma1 për1 mác2 hay2 u phí2 máz4 'èk4, ğön3 bòy2 mác2 ri2-üng1 jü1-ga1, wá'1 pè1-the4-yang2 hoy3 zu1-may2 së1-jue3 phas1 ja1-than3 jö1-jö1 m his1-y öp děng4.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Hwi1-ang2   hoy3 hyar(3) zěr2-ma1 hoy3 yě1gui4   
realize-PST 1SG  CPLZR   lost-PST 1SG  something
I realize that I lost something,

güy2ca1 khur4jo1  gu(4) phas1 gëw3
NEG     physical  but   more  deep
not something physical, but something deeper,

jwë4   traj1 jar3 den1-ma1  për1 mác2 hay2 u(3)  phí2 máz4 'èk4,
during days  when paint-PST hue  red  fall PTCPL GEN  sun  sky
in days where the sun’s deep pink falling hues would paint the sky,

ğön3 bòy2   mác2 ri2üng1 jü1ga1
CLF  little red  yellow  outside
a little red orange outside

wá'1  pè1the4y-ang2 hoy3 zu1may2 së1jue3 phas1 ja1than3
while dream-PRES    1SG  planet  loving   more old     
while I dream of a loving planet that's older,

jö1jö1 m   his1y öp(1) děng4   
naïve  and tire  PTCPL future
weary and naive of the future to come

NEW WORDS:
khur4jo1 - adj. physical, material, substantive, real
gëw3 - adj. deep, low
phas1 - ptcl. more
për1 - n. color, hue, especially pastel
hay2ang4 - v. to fall (intr.)
den1ang2 - v. to paint, to provide color, to shade in,
ri2üng1 - adj. yellow
ğön3 - clf. abstract nominalizer (works weirdly)
jü1ga1 - adj. outside
pè1the4yang2 - v. to dream (intr, tr.)
së1-jue3 - adj. caring, loving
jö1-jö1 - adj. young, foolish, naive
děng4 - n. future

---

Feb 4: I want the bright light of a public room over my head, I want some cheery comfort in the bustle of voices, I want the feeling of warmth on my skin telling me everything is all right.

Kő1' hoy3 a2-khe3 ís4 phí2 gra3 sa4-thár1 sya1 khua2 dǒk4. Kő1' hoy3 thël1-mè4 khuën1-cay4 cho3 jűm2-ra4 lük1-jè2. Kő1' hoy3 ka4-jün1 pác3 thël1-mè4 khis1 hoi3 hí2 hoy3 haw1 u hoy3 hyar bey2-ang4 zu1-may2.
Spoiler:

Kő1'  hoy3 a2khe3 ís4    phí2 gra3 sa4thár1 sya1 khua2 dǒk4
want  1SG  light  bright GEN  room public  over PREP  head
I want the bright light of an open room over my head

Kő1' hoy3 thël1mè4 khuën1cay4 cho3 jűm2ra4 lük1jè2
want 1SG  comfort  excited    in   crowd   voice
I want some cheery comfort in the bustle of voices.*

Kő1' hoy3 ka4jün1 pác3     thël1-mè4 khis1 hoi3 hí2  hoy3 haw1 u(3)  hoy3
want 1SG  that    emotion* warmth    over  skin GEN   3SG talk PTCPL 1SG
I want the feeling of warmth over my skin telling me

hyar(3) bey2-ang4     zu1may2
CPZLR   is_right-PRES world
everything is all right
NEW WORDS:

kő1'ang2 - v. to want, to desire
ís4 - adj. bright
gra3 - n. room, chamber,
sa4thár1 - adj. public, open, common
sya1 - prep. above, over, on top
dǒk4 - n. head
jűm2ra4 - n. crowd, swarm, bustle

NB: jűm2ra4 lük1jè2 is a bit closer to meaning just 'bustle' or 'ruckus'. I took some liberties in translation.

---

Apr 2: What killed me was knowing cowardice; no ounce of bravery would save me
Mráw da1-kuí3 gue3-ma1 hoy3 gè3-k khut1-müh2-mö2-ha1. Gén3 huang2 güy2-ca1 mòt4 hwè1-ja1 hoy3.
Spoiler:

Mráw(1) da1kuí3 gue3-ma1 hoy3 gè3k khut1müh2-mö2ha1
COP     that    kill-PST 1SG  know coward-ice
What killed me was knowing cowardice

gén3 huang2 güy2ca1 mòt4 hwè1ja1 hoy3
POT  save   NEG     part bravery 1SG
no ounce of bravery would save me
NEW WORDS:
gè3kang2 - v. to know [existence, presence of an object]
khut1müh2 - n. coward
hwè1ja1 - n. bravery, valor, courage
huang2 - v. to save, to aid, to protect, to cure

Aug 7: To be a foreign stranger in a familiar land
Mráw séw4-kè4 cho3 jeu3-mòy1 yen2
Spoiler:

Mráw(1) séw4kè4  cho3 jeu3mòy1 yen2
COP     stranger in   land     familiar
To be a foreign stranger in a familiar land
NEW WORDS:
séw4kè4 - n. stranger
yen2 - adj. familiar
jeu3mòy1 - n. land, country, state

Dec 25*:
Was it ever worth the tears? It was worth every single tear.
Mráw lus1 u3 kuim3 thüng4, phyün1 öng1? Mráw tr u3 kuim3 'ur1
Spoiler:

Mráw(1) lus1 u3    kuim3 thüng4, phyün1 öng1? Mráw(1) tr   u3    kuim3 'ur1
COP     buy  PTCPL tears cheap   have   3SG   COP     sell PTCPL tears expensive 
[Lit. "Was buying tears cheap? Selling tears was expensive"]

NEW WORDS:
kuim3 - n. tear, tears
thüng4 - adj. cheap, efficient, cost effective [metaphorically, wise]
'ur1 - adj. expensive, high priced, profitable

*I had actually wrote this in the week before, but I only posted it on the 25th.

I had planned on writing all of this in the script I had written for this language, but I realize I had left my notes on the script in my dorm, and won't have access to them until January 9th at minimum. I do plan on eventually doing that though!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 31st - Lohdan
assiríd [ɑsi'ɾi:d]
Bridge
Etymology: as ("across") + siríd ("river"), literally meaning "across the river"
Example:
Halárad-duc, dîvô torra assirídin Kalaríd-as.
[Rɑ'lɑ:ɾɑd duk 'di:vo: 'torɑ ɑsiɾi'dĩ: kɑlɑ'ɾi:d ɑs]
Halárad-at there.be-SG.AOR many bridge-PL Kalárid-across
In Halárad, there are many bridges crossing the river Kalárid.

The river Kalaríd cuts Halárad, the capital of Lôgrad, into two. The Temple of the Divines, the Nitril Dâratur, the Halls of the Dead and most important buildings are on the west side of the river. Most of the stores are also on that side. On the other side of the river are most of the houses and almost all the pastures for the horses.

The main roads which enter Halárad do so from the west side of the river, connecting the capital of Lôgrad to the west side of the kingdom and to Adunê. The roads which enter Halárad from the east connect it to the east side of the kingdom and also to the neighbouring kingdom of Ëastrech [ɛɑs'tɾɛx].

The west of Lôgrad is more densely populated than the east, and culturally, it resembles Adunê much more than Ëastrech. On the other hand, the east of Lôgrad is not very densely populated and culturally, it resembles Ëastrech more than Adunê.

The only reason for half of Halárad to be considered east Lôgrad is geographical (see the maps below), as no parts of the city suffer much influence from Ëastrech. In fact, Halárad is the place in Lôgrad which suffers the greatest influence from Adunê: many of the people who live there are Adûnîyi, on top of many other reasons which I won't list here.

I've included two maps of the same region of Tûdav. This one highlights the locations of Adunê, Lôgrad and Ëastrech, and also of the river Kalaríd and of Halárad. This other map highlights the division of Lôgrad into west and east.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Day 31

Hannaito (Entry 31):

baa /baa/ [ˈbaː]
Noun:
1. road, street, avenue, boulevard, thoroughfare, highway
2. pavement, paving, cobblestone, gravel
3. path, footpath, alley, trail
4. pass, passage
5. crossing, bridge
6. tunnel
7. passageway, hall, hallway, corridor
8. crossroad(s), intersection, junction
9. route, way, itinerary
10. direction
11. roadside, wayside
12. small town, village (especially one frequently visited by travelers as a place to rest along a popular road)
13. trench, ravine, gully
14. track, course, circuit, lane
15. racetrack, racecourse
16. traffic
17. trip, tour, journey, voyage, travel
18. distance
19. method, manner, means, procedure
20. plan, blueprint, idea, theory
21. solution
22. life, lifestyle, occupation
23. religion, faith
24. philosophy, school of thought
25. law, order, system, government

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *ber "valley, meadow, trench, channel, road, path, way".
Usage notes
Homophonous with baa "old, familiar, longstanding" (see Entry 25).

I started off the month by purposefully creating a pair of homophones, and now I'm finishing it off by inadvertently creating another.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

shimobaatar wrote: 31 Dec 2021 14:50 I started off the month by purposefully creating a pair of homophones, and now I'm finishing it off by inadvertently creating another.
:mrgreen: Very fun!

31r Lexembr
What follows is an enumeration of the "also-rans", primarily all the vocab I created incidentally for example sentences and for in-universe translations.

- arrum /aˈrɪm/ [ɐˈʀɪm] cosine (of an angle), from Arabic الرمح <ar-rumh> "the spear, the shaft". The word is spelt arrhumb in the English languages and some others, by mistaken analogy to rhumb (as in rhumb line, line which crosses successive meridians at a constant angle).

- eir doutr /ir ˈdu.tr̩/ [ɪː ˈdu.tɐ] to outdate, obsolete, outgrow, surpass, supersede, to no longer have use for; literally "to go beyond".

- staddenzan /ˌsta.dɛnˈzan/ [ˌsta.dɪnˈzan] staddenzen, local inhabitant of one of the polities that grew from early trading posts along the coasts of Cappatia [South America] and Africa; a direct borrowing from Saxon staddenzen, respelt to align with existing Boral denzan "local, denizen, citizen".

- bog /bɔj/ bow, weapon made of curved wood with ends connected by string and used for shooting arrows; borrowed from Old Norse bogi "bow". The word displaces native arc < Latin arcus, relegated in the modern language to the senses "arch (architecture), curve, part of a circle".

- bogher /bɔjˈɛr/ [bʊˈjɛː] archer, bowman, one who fights with a bow and arrow; a regular agentive derivation of the above.

- arn /ˈa.rn̩/ [ɑːn] fletch, vane, the part toward the back of an arrow, used for stabilisation during flight; probably also from Old Norse (cf. Ydreç 2008) but the etymon is unclear.

- heredical /heˌre.diˈkal/ [hɪˌʀe.dɪˈkaw] genetic, hereditary, relating to biological descent; a Scholastic Latin derivation of heres "heir, heiress".

- betraver /ˌbe.traˈvɛr/ [ˌbe.tʀɐˈvɛː] beet sugar, especially as produced from the gold braxoch beet first bred in the mid-eighteenth century; a regular adjectival derivation from betraf "beet, beetroot", which itself is a combination of earlier bet < beta "beet", raf < rapum "turnip".

- gorray /goˈre/ [gʊˈʀe] kola nut, edible seed of the kola tree used as a flavoring and as a source of caffeine; via continental Romance from one of the Bamackon languages of West Africa (cf. Wolof guru "kola nut").

- acceir /akˈsir/ [ɐkˈsɪː] to approach, gain access, consent; a regular descendant of Latin accedo "I advance, join".

- comburr /kɔmˈbɪ.rr̩/ [kʊmˈbɪ.ʀɐ] to combust, burn, to react with oxygen; a Middle Boral borrowing from Latin combūrō "I burn up, cremate, scald".

- janthin /ʒanˈθin/ [ʒɐnˈθɪn] iodine, the fourth halogen in order of molecular mass, being a purple-black solid at room temperature and pressure; a modern coinage from Greek ἰάνθῐνος <iánthinos> "violet-coloured".

- roncaf /rɔnˈkaf/ [ʀʊŋˈkaf] mystery, puzzle, conundrum, a difficult choice or decision or riddle that must be made; from the fifteenth century as rom-caf "breaks the head".

- vanagl /vaˈnɛjl/ [vɐˈnɛ.jʊ] cant, slang, jargon, the particular vocabulary shared by the members of a class or profession; not certain but usually taken to be a dialect descendant of Latin vernāculus "native, domestic, vernacular".

- veskit /veˈskɪt/ [vɪˈskɪt] jumper, sweater, cardigan, woolen garment intended to keep the wearer warm; phonetic respelling of Norman or Kentish waiscot, reduced from a compound of waist and coat (i.e. a coat reaching to the waist).

- queimasc /kwiˈmax/ [kwɪˈmax] cream cheese, soft cheese, a spreadable dairy product which is soft and mild-tasting; the exact origin is unclear but most scholars point to Lustaine's queimagen "cream cheese" as the earliest-attested variation of the word.

- naf /naf/ [naf] nave, main body of a church building; from Latin navis, perhaps with some Old French influence.

- lausc /lox/ [lox] (dated) see!, I told you so!, interjection expression vindication or relief; partly from some phrases containing l'au "had it", but the origin of the coda -sc is unclear.

- crougl /krujl/ [ˈkʀu.jʊ] knuckle, crook, joints of the fingers or toes or any features of a similar shape; presumably from Old English cnucel "knuckle" but only attested from the fourteenth century.

- varrigt /vaˈrajt/ [ˌvɐˈʀajt] tough, callused, unyielding, having formed a rough outer layer for protection; borrowed from Old English wearriht with very little change in meaning.

- auspeç /oˈspɛts/ [ʊˈspɛts] prophet, augur, one tasked with predicting the future; an early Middle Boral reborrowing from Latin auspex "augur, priest".

- ensignment /ˌɛn.sajnˈmɛnt/ [ˌɛn.sɐjmˈmɛn(t)] engraving, etching, an illustration made by carving into wood, stone or metal; nominal derivation in the Middle Boral period from verb ensignar "to engrave, carve".

- yembr scið /ˈjɛm.br̩ ˈxɪθ/ [ˈʝɛm.bɐ ˈçɪh] to realise, come to know, to become aware of a reality that has been true for some time; literally "to get known", with verb yembr "to obtain, arrive" < Latin emō "I buy, acquire" and adjective scið "known, possible" < Latin scītum "learnt, approved".

- niacer /njaˈtsɛr/ [njɐˈdzɛː] (of birds) nesting, building nests; (metaphorical, colloquial) domestic, pertaining to the household; regular adjectival derivation of niaç "nest", which is itself an extension of earlier ni < Latin nīdus "nest".

- briscel /briˈxɛl/ [bʀɪˈçɛw] bush, shrub, woody plant with multiple stems and lower height than a tree; clipped from earlier arbriscel, from a presumed Vulgar Latin arboriscellus "small tree-like plant".

- hurislar /ˌhi.riˈslar/ [ˌhi.ʀɪˈzlɑː] to rustle, crackle, to make a sound similar to that of dry leaves; from the thirteenth century in diverse forms, likely onomatopoeic but influenced in some way by Old English hrūxlian "to make noise".

- amaçgat /ˌa.matsˈgat/ [ˌa.mɐsˈgat] nursery, a room or area in a household or an external business set apart for the care of children; via Mozara or other Spanish amazgato "nursery, flowerbed, place for growing plants", from Andalus Arabic اَلْمَسْقَى‎ <al-másqa> "seedbed".

- trencsachet /ˌtrɛnk.saˈkɛt/ [ˌtʀɛŋk.sæˈkɛt] pickpocket, cutpurse, petty thief, one whose employs sleight of hand to steal from people's pockets; univerbation of trenc sachet "slices pockets".

- varmar /varˈmar/ [vɐːˈmɑː] to wriggle, squirm, to twist one's body with short writhing movements; verbal derivation from varm < Latin vermis "worm".

- connocry /ˌko.noˈkri/ [ˌko.nʊˈkʀi] ice dance, skating party, frost fair, a social occasion held on the iced-over surface of a lake or river; from Markish connockry, nominal derivation from connock "ice skate" (cf. Borlish connoc), itself from Vascon connòc /kuˈɲɔk/ < Russian конёк <kon'ok> "pony, skate".

- augtar /ojˈtar/ [ʊjˈtɑː] to deliver, convey, transport, to bring things or people to their destination; originally borrowed from Borland English ahtan "to send, give", presumably a reworking of āgan "to (cause to) own" according to aht-, the past tense root.

- paupieðr /poˈpjɛ.ðr̩/ [pʊˈpje.ðɐ] eyelid, one of the folds which can cover the eyes; regularly derived from Vulgar Latin palpetra, variant of Latin palpebra "eyelid, eyebrow".

- no spou /no spu/ [nʊˈspu] (dated) surely not!, exclamation of disbelief and surprise; contracted form of i no se poð "it isn't possible" popular in the late eighteenth century, with a revival in the early twentieth.

- trelamn /treˈla.mn̩/ [tʀɪˈla.mɐn] triangle, polygon with three sides; from Old Boral tre lamne < Latin tres laminæ "three blades" (the meaning of the noun shifting to "edge" by the Old Boral period).

- acquïr /ˌa.kwajˈɪr/ [ˌa.kwɐˈjɪː] to acquiesce, assent, consent, to be satisfied without oppositon; reborrowing from Latin acquiēscō "I rest".

---

FIN
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 31

Weddisch

rêst in vridde
/rest ɪn vɾɪdə/
1. rest in peace, an expression of hope of blessing that a deceased person is at peace
Calque of Latin Requiscat in Pacem. Vridde is a fossilized dative form not otherwise found in everyday speech.

rêste
1. (w.v.) to rest
(3S present rêstes, past tense rêsted, past participle rêsted, auxiliary hawe)

vrid (pl. vridde)
1. (uncountable) peace
2. sanctuary, refuge
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

Day 29:

More water-related words:

liiu
/'li.ju/ – body of water, lake, pond

daliiu /'ta.li.ju/ – sea (da /ta/ – big, vast, expansive)

Day 30:

tai giolodiu /thaj 'kjo.lo.tju/ [thaj 'kjo.lo.dju] – “to ascend the mountain”; metaphorically, to seek knowledge

tai /thaj/ – mountain, hill

giolodiu /'kjo.lo.tju/ ['kjo.lo.dju] – to ascend, go up(ward)

The metaphor of knowledge as climbing a mountain can be interpreted in multiple ways, but one of the most significant is that of greater vision: from the top of the mountain, one can see further, and one’s gaze encompasses more of the world.

Tai also appears in the name of the city of Amantai, “Five Hills,” which is a translation of the native name, Pirkinesi, (pir “five,” kin “hill” -esi, plural suffix) in the language of the Meritskilesi, or Coastlanders. Amantai/Pirkinesi is a port city located at the end of a mountainous peninsula; once an independent city-state, it is now part of Kiarlon, but still remains culturally and linguistically distinct. (Note that the Chusole word tai can be equivalent both to English “mountain” and to “hill,” while kin in Meritskilesi can be translated more specifically as “hill”, with higher mountains being referred to by another term.)

Day 31:

liujandan kirlimiel bidiu /'lju.tʃan.ta 'khil.limjel 'pi.tju/ [’lju.dʒan.ta 'khir.lim 'pi.dju] – “to see the currents in the river”; metaphorically, to gain wisdom

liujan /'lju.tʃan/ ['lju.dʒan] – river, from liiu “body of water” (see Day 29) + jan; lit. “waterway”

jan /tʃan/ – way, path

-dan /tan/ – locative case suffix

kirlim /'khil.lim/ ['khir.lim] – flow, current

-iel/-ial /jel/, /jal/ – plural suffix

bidiu /'pi.tju/ ['pi.dju] – to see

The metaphor for wisdom is that of sensing the hidden currents in a stream, and being able to interpret the direction of their flow; as one Kiarloni philosopher has written, “The knowledgeable man sees far, and the wise man sees deep, while one who is a sage sees both.”

I had slightly more ambitious plans for the last few days of Lexember, but I am pleased to have made it through the end of the month, and happy to have made the effort; everyone’s contributions have been fascinating. It has been a pleasure joining you, and I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Last edited by Glenn on 01 Jan 2022 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Day 29: *√nyy 'late, delay'
> *onyey 'I delay, I hold back; I prevent'
> *onnoyey 'I am late'
> *noyyey 'I restrain, I detain, I arrest'
> *yonyey 'I interfere, I meddle, I run interference, I get between, I delay'
> *oniyey 'red tape'

Day 30: *√nyk 'island; city, settlement; found, establish, set forth'
> *bonyek 'I assert my claim (to some territory)'
> *enyǫk 'colony'
> *nayąk 'autonomy, self-rule, self-regulation'
> *onyąk 'I settle, I found, I establish'
> *wonyek 'I change hands, I change owners, I am transferred between administratiors/possessors'

Day 31: *√lsk 'dream, goal, want, desire; north'
> *alisak '(the) north'
> *awlsak 'impetus'
> *kolsak 'means (to an end)'
> *losek 'dream, desire, aim, hope'
> *yolsek 'I take action in furtherance of a goal'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 26

leñiyided: border (between countries)
leñi (between) + ided (edge)

Yuwes ye Mekasiko leñi Danaled Dalamip haka hokha leñiyided ba kashid.
U.S. and Mexico between Donald Trump build try border of wall
Donald Trump tried to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

BONUS WORDS: Mekasiko: Mexico; Yuwes: U.S., United States, America; Kanada: Canada (all Terran borrowings)

DAY 27

nedaw: canal; channel, station (on TV/radio)

Nedaw an podoy shekhad.
canal in get_stuck barge
The barge got stuck in the canal.

BONUS WORDS: shekhad: barge
podoy: (P) to get stuck (because someone/something is too big to fit through)

DAY 28

khuda: grave, tomb

Shazay nuwodaken ba khuda.
loot emperor of tomb
The emperor's tomb was looted.

BONUS WORD: phoñukh: (T) to bury; burial
nuwodaken: emperor (male) (nuwod, center + aken, man; for he is the man at the "center" of the empire)
nuwodimaphina: empress (nuwod + maphina, woman)
nuwodiledakh: emperor (of either gender) (nuwod + iledakh, monarch)

DAY 29

hodadepush: studio
hod (sound (sound waves); audio) + depush (building)

Salina da dal phedu phedu lo is hodadepush an en dem da ab zoy sayud lo ab naña.
girl 1* about sing song 2* while studio in 3p be *1 1s once know *2 1s write
We'll be in the studio, singing a song I wrote about a girl I used to know.

BONUS WORD: zoy: once (the way it used to be); used to

DAY 30

weneduhuñel: skatepark
wened (skate) + huñel (park)

Weneduhuñel saw Pawolo may Eli.
skatepark at Pawolo meet Ellie
Pawolo met Ellie at the skatepark.

BONUS WORD: maya: (T) to meet, to meet up with

DAY 31

miyid: thrilled

Shaleya-ba-heyak ño leñey Lekasemiba has ab hel miyid.
Shaleya-of-language with participate_in Lexember from 1s COP thrilled
I was thrilled from participating in Lexember with Shaleyan.

BONUS: leñey (to join) can now also mean "to join in", "to participate in", or "to participate".

Over Lexember, my Shaleyan lexicon went up from a little over 3,000 words to 3,224 words.

And by now you've probably wracked your brains trying to figure out why the subject nouns and pronouns sometimes come before the verb and sometimes come after the verb in the glosses. The answer is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7380&p=304981#p304981
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Happy New Year, everyone!

Many, many thanks to Creyeditor, Dormouse559, Glenn, I Lorik, Iyionaku, Jackk, KaiTheHomoSapien, Khemehekis, kiwikami, Mándinrùh, Man in Space, qwed117, Shemtov, spanick, Titus Flavius, and VaptuantaDoi (hopefully I haven't missed anyone) for participating in Lexember 2021 with me! Regardless of whether you're able to make thirty-one posts or just one, it's never easy to commit to participating in Lexember, and I know that, with the way things have been these past two years especially, even things that could be fairly easy under the best of circumstances can wind up being more challenging than expected for many of us. Last year, the Lexember 2020 thread ended up being 13 pages long and containing 253 posts, but thanks to all of you, this year's thread is currently 15 pages long and, including this one and the one immediately after it, contains 294 posts! Special thanks as well to Iyionaku, KaiTheHomoSapien, Mándinrùh, silvercat, and spanick for their suggestions for this year's weekly themes! [:D]

Looking back, I'm pretty happy with what I was able to accomplish this past month, although most, if not all, of the information I posted is subject to change as I continue working on the language. Part of me is disappointed that I still didn't feel like I'd developed Hannaito enough to feel comfortable making example sentences by the end of the month, but part of my goal for this Lexember was to take things slow and not rush myself, so I'm not too bothered. I've enjoyed getting to see what others were working on throughout the month, and I'm glad that I decided to follow qwed117's example from 2020 and give feedback weekly instead of all at once in early January. I hope that this has been a positive experience for all of you!

For the sake of space, I'll be making a separate post immediately after this one for all of my comments on what people have posted for Week 5.

As much as I love getting to "host" the thread and participate myself, I'm always relieved to be done with Lexember for the year. That being said, I wish all of you a safe, happy, and healthy new year, and I look forward to seeing at least some of you, hopefully, back for Lexember 2022! [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Now that Lexember 2021 is over, I've taken some time to read through and comment on what other participants have posted for Week 5. I won't necessarily comment on every single entry, but hopefully I haven't accidentally missed anyone's work entirely.

If anyone wanted to make one last post for Lexember 2021, but didn't have the time to do so before the end of the day on December 31st, no worries at all! You're all welcome to finish participating however you'd like, of course, and please feel free to post your final entries here in the thread even now that we're in January 2022. I'll make time to respond to any posts that are made after I publish this one.

Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 26 Dec 2021 08:51 Lexember 26 - Yélian

sètal [ˈsɛtɐl] - puzzle
Etymology: sèta, an obsolete verb for "to be stuck", + nominalizer -l

Cityamolai vat sètal fecun bapasani fúriapes.
[kɨt͡ʃɐˈmoːlaɪ̯ vɐt ˈsɛtɐl ˈɸeːkʉn ˈbaːpɐsɐni ˌɸuːɾɪ̯ɐˈpes]
NEG-POT-solve-1SG DEM puzzle with piece-PL-ENUM ten_thousand
I can't solve this puzzle with ten thousand pieces.

Bonus idiom that I just came up with from the example sentence:

mola u'sètal o'palin - to cut the Gordian knot (literally: "to solve the puzzle of one hundred thousand (pieces)"
Excellent! I love the idiom, and just the word sètal by itself.
Iyionaku wrote: 27 Dec 2021 10:00 Lexember 27 - Yélian

coʻetada [kɔ̈ʔəˈtaːdɐ] - to frustrate
coʻetadas [kɔ̈ʔəˈtaːdɐʃ] - frustrated
coʻetadasé [kɔ̈ʔəˌtaːdɐˈseː] - frustration

Etymology: coʻet "wall" + fad "terminative prefix, here exceptionally as a suffix" + verbal suffix -a, adjective suffix -as or nominalizer -sé. Literally "being stopped by a wall"
Cool!
Iyionaku wrote: 27 Dec 2021 10:00 Reo bèsic cibetálpuyefandet cùs rat yiværfirtreyut cùtpod. Cerenpèsceren narcoʻetadasbocai.
[ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈbɛsɨk‿kɨbəˌtaːlpʉʃəˈɸandət‿ʉs ɾat ɕɨʋəˌɾiɾtˈɾeːʃʉt ˈkʉpɔ̈d | kəɾənˈpɛskəɾən nɐɾkɔ̈ˈʔəˌtaːdɐsˈboːkaɪ̯]
1SG.POSS code NEG-still_not_yet-work-3SG even_though 1SG.OBL PST-try-improve-INV.3SG.INAN one_hundred_times | step_by_step really-frustrated-become-1SG
My code still doesn't work even though I have went over it a hundred times. I'm getting more and more frustrated.
Oh! I thought that cerenpèsceren sounded familiar, and it turns out there's a good reason for that:
Iyionaku wrote: 29 Dec 2020 12:05 Lexember 29th - Yélian

cerenpèsceren [kəɾənˈpɛskəɾən] - gradually, step by step, bit by bit, one at a time, by degrees
Etymology: ceren "step" + pès "to, towards"; literally "step to step"

Nat yiperoyai u'piano, yaipiritbai èpa yiaupalevai, cut cerenpèsceren yifirtreyai èpa carat ocoyai can reo clezemiato!
[nɐt ɕɨpəˈɾoːʃaɪ̯ ʉˈpɪ̯aːno, ʃaɪ̯ˈpiːɾɨbaɪ̯ ˈɛpɐ ɕɪ̯aʊ̯pɐˈleːʋaɪ̯, kʉt‿əɾənˈpɛskəɾən ɕɨɸɨɾtˈɾeːʃaɪ̯ ˈɛpɐ ˈkaːɾɐt ɔ̈ˈkoːʃaɪ̯ kɐn ˈɾeː.o ˈkleːɟəˌmɪ̯aːto]
when INGR-learn-1SG DEF.INAN=piano, PST-very-bad-COP.1SG and PST-often-make_mistake{music}-1SG, but gradully PST-improve-1SG and now prepare-1SG for 1SG.POSS concert-first
When I started to learn the piano, I was very bad and played wrong notes often, but step by step I improved and now I'm practising for my first concert!
Iyionaku wrote: 28 Dec 2021 12:14 Lexember 28 - Yélian

ayiga [ɐˈɕiːxɐ] - to satisfy; to fill
ayigats [ɐˈɕiːxɐt͡s] - satisfied
ayigasé [ɐˌɕixɐˈseː] - satisfaction
ayigal [ɐˈɕiːxɐl] - filling (of food)

Etymology: cross-derivation from the root *hyg, cognates include yigos "bowl", eyiga "to peel" and reyga "to become true, to fulfill". Originally, ayiga only meant "to fill", but got a broader meaning later.
I like how these words look and sound!
Iyionaku wrote: 28 Dec 2021 12:14 Cipuyebai matay can ilvati 27; Denai pi tyaucreyai æ'cundes on'iapetan ùpa bariyn o'man, cut ciyipuyesandai ciyt fécunat ayigatsbai.
[kɨˌpuʃəˈbaɪ̯ ˈmaːtɐʃ kɐn ˈilʋɐti ˌgeːdɐˈpeɾtɐ | ˈdeːnaɪ̯ pɨ t͡ʃaʊ̯kˈɾeːʃaɪ̯ ɚˈkundəs ɔnɪ̯ɐˈpeːtɐn ˈʉpɐ ˈbaːɾa̯iːn ɔ̈ˈman, kʉt‿ɨɕɨˌpuːʃəˈsandaɪ̯ ka̯iːt ˈɸeːkʉnɐt ɐˈɕiːxɐt͡sbaɪ̯]
NEG-yet-have.1SG word for day-ENUM 27, plan-1SG that POT-CONT-do-1SG DEF.CONC=theme DEF.GEN=emotion-PL or state-PL DEF.GEN=mind, but NEG-PST-yet-find-1SG something with_DEM satisfied-COP.1SG
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 I do not have a word for Day 27 yet; I plan to continue the theme of emotions and/or mental states, but I have not yet come up with something I am satisfied with.
(I had a different example sentence first, but this one just fit so good. I hope it's okay that I quote you here [xD] )
[:D]
Iyionaku wrote: 29 Dec 2021 09:47 Lexember 29 - Yélian

yorvalbica - to interpret, paraphrase, construe (things that have been seen or read)
Etymology: yor "between" + vala "to see" + bica "to speak"

yorîybica - to interpret, paraphrase, construe (things that have been heard)
Etymology: yor "between" + rîya "to hear" + bica "to speak"
That's a neat distinction!
Iyionaku wrote: 29 Dec 2021 09:47 Reo gima yibicet pès télefon pi re vutret, re rîyatsbai »cet faldu o'grènd«, otéi sat diyorîybicvut?
[ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈgiːmɐ ɕɨˈbiːkə‿pɛs ˈteːləɸɔ̈n pi ɾe ˈvutɾət, re ˈɾiːʃɐt͡sbaɪ̯ "kət ˈɸaldʉ ɔ̈ˈgɾɛnd, ɔ̈ˈtɛɪ̯ sɐ‿dɨʃɔ̈ɾɨʃˈbikvʉt↗︎]
1SG.POSS girlfriend PST-say-3SG towards telephone that 1SG INT, 1SG EVID.AUD-COP.1SG "like rain DEF.GEN=slime", how 2SG.OBL COND-interpret-COND.INV.3SG.INAN
My girlfriend said on the telephone that I was "like a rain of slime", how would you interpret that?
Ah, how do you say "couples therapy" in Yélian? [:P]
Iyionaku wrote: 31 Dec 2021 10:11 Lexember 31 - Yélian

capasé [ˌkapɐˈseː] - regret, sorrow, regretfulness
Etymology: capa "to regret" + nominalizer -sé

USAGE NOTES: If you regret something you have done, you normally use the verb in Yélian. However, if you regret a missed chance because of something you haven't done, the noun is used more regularly.

Dilosareyvain pi capai ciyt vit yireyai desiý nanai capasé can ciyt vit ciyireyai.
[dɨˌlosɐˈreʃvaɪ̯n pɨ ˈcaːpaɪ̯ ka̯iːt vɨt ɕɨˈɾeːʃaɪ̯ dəˈsa̯iː ˈnaːnaɪ̯ ˌkapɐˈseː kɐn ˈka̯iːt vɨt‿ɨɕɨˈɾeːʃaɪ̯]
COND-prefer-COND.1SG that regret-1SG something REL PST-do-1SG before feel-1SG regret for something REL NEG-PST-do-1SG
I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I haven't done.
Fantastic!
I Lorik:
Spoiler:
I Lorik wrote: 26 Dec 2021 18:16 Lexember 26th - Lohdan
vilûnir [vi'lu:niɾ]
To think, to imagine
Etymology: vilun ("mind") + -ir (verbal suffix)
Example:
Na-vilûnî írac Lôgrad sîlovâ nalu rád satru-duv.
[nɑ vi'lu:ni: 'i:ɾɑk 'lo:gɾɑd si:lo'vɑ: 'nɑlu ɾɑ:d 'sɑtɾu duv]
1SG-imagine-SG.PRS how Lôgrad be-SG.COND.PRS all DET.PROX war-without
I'm imagining what Lôgrad could be like without all this war.
[:'(] Tragic.
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Lexember 27th - Lohdan
krulîdar [kɾu'li:dɑɾ]
To mourn
Etymology: from krûdav ("death") + belîdar ("to cry", "to weep"), literally meaning "to weep death"
Example:
An tûr krulîdâ id krûdav tûrac.
[ɑ̃: tu:ɾ kɾu'li:dɑ: id 'kɾu:dɑv 'tu:ɾɑc]
DEF.SG people mourn-SG.PRS INDF.SG death king
The people are mourning the king's death.

krulîdav [kɾu'li:dɑv]
Mourning
Etymology: nominalized form of krulîdar
Example:
Lôgrad-duc, dîvô torra lînavin krulîdav.
['lo:gɾɑd duk 'di:vo: 'torɑ li:nɑ'vĩ: kɾu'li:dɑv]
Lôgrad-at there.be-SG.AOR many song-PL mourning
In Lôgrad, there are many songs of mourning (see cultural note #1)

krûdâtur [kɾu:'dɑ:tuɾ]
Cemetery
Etymology: from krûdâ (dead (noun)) + -tur ("place"), literally meaning "place of the dead"
Example:
Tu varo sîlô krûdâtur-duc, háv tu hilon sîlô Sohad-duc.
[tu 'vɑɾo 'si:lo: kɾu:'dɑ:tuɾ duk Rɑ:v tu Ri'lõ: 'si:lo: 'soRɑd duk]
3SG.POSS.SG body be-SG.AOR cemetery-at but 3SG.POSS.SG soul be-SG.AOR heaven-at
Her body is on a cemetery, but her soul is in heaven.

tûrodal ['tu:ɾodɑl]
Hall of the Dead (see cultural note #2)
Etymology: from tûrac ("queen" or "king") + rodal ("rest"), literally meaning "monarch's rest"
Example:
An varo Lohin ùn-sîlô tûrodal-duc daran?
Daran tu varo dâkâ sîlâ sirôdâ piran.
[ɑ̃: 'vɑɾo lo'Rĩ: ũ: 'si:lo: 'tu:ɾodɑl duk dɑ'ɾɑ̃:]
[dɑ'ɾɑ̃: tu 'vɑɾo 'dɑ:kɑ: 'si:lɑ: si'ɾo:dɑ: pi'ɾɑ̃:]
DEF.SG body Lohin not-be-SG.AOR hall.of.the.dead-at why
because 3SG.POSS.SG body have-SG.PRS be-SG.PSTPART find-SG.PSTPART never
Why isn't Lohin's body on the Hall of the Dead?
Because her body was never found. (see cultural note #3)
Fantastic!
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Cultural note #1: on the "songs of mourning"
"Lînavin krulîdav" or "songs of mourning" are songs in tribute to the dead. They are usually sung during burials, but many people will sing them to themselves while in mourning.
Very interesting!
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Cultural note #2: cemeteries and the Hall of the Dead
Usually in Lôgrad, the dead are buried in cemeteries. However, the bodies of the monarchs of Lôgrad and all of their families are kept in what is called the "Hall of the Dead", an impressive building in the capital Halárad. There, their bodies are preserved using special techniques so that they look exactly as they did when they died.
All cemeteries as well as the Hall of the Dead have a shrine dedicated to Krun, the god of the dead.
How long has the Hall of the Dead been in use? Do you have an idea of approximately how many people are interred there? Is there a concern that the Hall of the Dead might eventually run out of space?

Is the Hall of the Dead open to the public? Are the embalmed bodies frequently viewed by the living?
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Cultural note #3: on the death of Lohin
Lohin was the seventh ruler of Lôgrad and the founder of the Empire of Lôssolhov. She disappeared during the First Great War on the Battle of the Oyuahya, when the forces of the Lohtûrin assaulted the capital of Oyureh, a neighbouring kingdom whose population is considered "a bunch of heretic elves" by the Lohtûrin. Nobody knows what actually happened to the queen: some people say that she was killed in the battle and that the elves fed her body to the dogs, while others say that she was taken by the elves as a captive and then sacrificed in the altar of Anlan. However, something every Lohtûr agrees on is that when Lôgrad manages to assault the capital of Oyureh once more, the ghosts of Lohin and all the Lohtûrin who died in that battle will come down from the heavens and help defeat the "evil heretic elves" once and for all.
How long ago was Lohin's reign? Since her body was never recovered and was thus unable to be placed in the Hall of the Dead, is there some sort of monument to her there instead?

Also, are the people of Oyureh a different species than the people of Lôgrad? That is, are the Lohtûrin themselves "elves", or are they humans or something else?
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:32 Cultural note #4: on the usage of "tûrac":
In English, the words "king" and "queen" are used to distinguish the sex of the monarch. This is not how "tûrac" and "sîrac" are used in Lohdan. Tûrac is used to refer to the actual monarch, the one who has power and has inherited the throne, and sîrac is used to refer to the tûrac's spouse, who doesn't really have any power. The word tûrakelin (that is, the dual of "tûrac") is used to refer to the tûrac and the sîrac, while tûrakin (the plural of "tûrac") is used to refer to any two (or more) tûracs.
To clarify, tûrac and sîrac are both gender-neutral terms, correct?
I Lorik wrote: 28 Dec 2021 21:06 Lexember 28th - Lohdan
arun [ɑ'ɾũ:]
Lake
Etymology: worn-down form of aranun, which comes from ara ("sea") + -un (diminutive suffix). Literally means "small sea".
Example:
Na-dûkâ id gakar arun-íd.
[nɑ 'du:kɑ: id 'gɑkɑɾ ɑ'ɾũ: i:d]
1SG-dwell-SG.PRS INDF.SG house lake-by
I'm living in a house by the lake.
I Lorik wrote: 29 Dec 2021 15:22 Lexember 29th - Lohdan
kutron [ku'tɾõ:]
Cave
Etymology: from Proto-Lohdan *kyutteone ("big hole"). Cf. Lohdan kûd ("hole"), from Proto-Lohdan *kyut ("hole").
Example:
Na-kûrô dîrir anin kutronin Halárad.
[nɑ 'ku:ɾo: 'di:ɾiɾ ɑ'nĩ: kutɾo'nĩ: Rɑ'lɑ:ɾɑd]
1SG-want-SG.AOR see-INF DEF-PL cave-PL Halárad
I want to see the caves of Halárad.
I like how these words look and sound!
I Lorik wrote: 29 Dec 2021 15:22 The caves of Halárad are a cave system on the bottom of one of the mountains that encircle the city of Halárad. They are a marvel to behold, because into their walls are carved many texts in what seems to be a language even older than Proto-Lohdan, and also many images. Almost all of the text is currently undeciphered, much thanks to the fact that the writing system which was used is very different from the one used in Lohdan and the other modern languages of Tûdav. However, if the text is, as the images suggest, a very old version of the Drukal (the holy book of the Lohtûrin's religion), the meaning of a few of the glyphs can be guessed.
Fascinating! [:D]
I Lorik wrote: 30 Dec 2021 14:20 Lexember 30th - Lohdan
lannî ['lɑ̃:ni:]
Nightmare
Etymology: lan ("evil") + lonî ("dream"), literally meaning "evil dream"
Example:
Na-dâkerâ id lannî rád înil.
[nɑ dɑ:kœ'ɾɑ: id 'lɑ̃:ni: ɾɑ:d 'i:nil]
1SG-have-SG.PST INDF.SG nightmare DET.PROX night
I had a nightmare tonight.
That's a fun way to derive a word for "nightmare"!
I Lorik wrote: 31 Dec 2021 14:00 Lexember 31st - Lohdan
assiríd [ɑsi'ɾi:d]
Bridge
Etymology: as ("across") + siríd ("river"), literally meaning "across the river"
Example:
Halárad-duc, dîvô torra assirídin Kalaríd-as.
[Rɑ'lɑ:ɾɑd duk 'di:vo: 'torɑ ɑsiɾi'dĩ: kɑlɑ'ɾi:d ɑs]
Halárad-at there.be-SG.AOR many bridge-PL Kalárid-across
In Halárad, there are many bridges crossing the river Kalárid.
Another lovely word!
I Lorik wrote: 31 Dec 2021 14:00 I've included two maps of the same region of Tûdav. This one highlights the locations of Adunê, Lôgrad and Ëastrech, and also of the river Kalaríd and of Halárad. This other map highlights the division of Lôgrad into west and east.
[:D] Excellent!
Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 27 Dec 2021 01:03 - the word jallondes is indeed cognate with IRL Galician xalundes; it comes from ja < Latin iam, plus Old Leon allunde "from anywhere" (the -s is unetymological). This is directly from Latin correlative alicunde "from somewhere, for which see https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alicunde. [:D]

- compare IRL Portuguese jaleco (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jaleco) meaning lab coat, from Turkish; obviously in boralverse the semantic shift is slightly different.
Very interesting! Thank you so much! [<3]
Jackk wrote: 27 Dec 2021 01:03 Thanks so much for the complimentary feedback on my posts! Feels like a whole extra Christmas present [<3]
Oh, of course! I'm so happy to hear that. [:D]
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38
shimobaatar wrote: 31 Dec 2021 14:50 I started off the month by purposefully creating a pair of homophones, and now I'm finishing it off by inadvertently creating another.
:mrgreen: Very fun!
Thank you! I'm inclined to agree. [:D]
Jackk wrote: 27 Dec 2021 01:03 fuyo (goul-roug) /faˈjo gulˈruj/ robin (redbreast), one of various passerine birds having a red breast and especially the European robin Erithacus rubecula

Etymology: the epithet goul-roug (literally "red throat", the words coming directly from Latin gula rubea) is the older term, used alone for the bird since the Old Boral period. The addition (and eventual takeover) of the word fuyo occurs in the fifteenth century for unclear reasons.

The first name Fuyo is attested from around the same time as its use for the bird, which is unhelpful. It may be a rendition of a dialect pronunciation of figl "child" (or a diminutive thereof), although this doesn't explain the early variants such as sfiyo, sviogh et cetera. Attempts to connect the word to Germanic descendants of sparuó "sparrow" are phonetically untenable.

Fuyo joun ern cantant, aziant sull'eç ranscel.
/faˈjo ʒun ɛ.rn̩ kanˈtant | aˈzjant siˈlɛts ranˈxɛl/
[fɐˈʝo ʒun ɛːŋ kɐnˈtant | ɐˈzjant sɪˈlɛts ʀɐŋˈçɛw]
robin young be.imp-3p sing-ptcp.prs | stand-ptcp.prs on.def=pl.prx branch
Young robins were singing, stood on the branches.
Fascinating!
Jackk wrote: 27 Dec 2021 01:03 excerpted from Neyanç a Sagnt Stevan (Saint Stephen's Snowfall), a short story penned in 1980 by Borlish author Fuyo Jaðom, adapted from the tales he would tell his children when they were young.

[…]
Jackk wrote: 29 Dec 2021 21:39 excerpt in translation to Borlish from 1795 seminal work Durgh 'nen Shorzen Shouer (Through a Black Mirror), written originally in Saxon (and translated into Borlish in 1802 as Par un Argent Neir) by Elsebeth Shneider and kickstarting the early parachthon craze for voidtale.

[…]
Jackk wrote: 30 Dec 2021 17:08 translation of an excerpt from the short story L'Ange et L'Ingéni (The Angel and the Automaton), written in the early years of the twentieth century by an anonymous author and first published as part of the Cann Promethean Society's 1914 collection of discourses and tales.

[…]
Wow! Fantastic, as always!
Jackk wrote: 28 Dec 2021 00:53 27m Lexember
voinaçal /ˌvɔj.naˈtsal/ [ˌvɔj.nɐˈdzaw]
- armourcloth, a distinctive period of women's fashion, most prevalent in Europe during the Long Peace, which emulated men's military dress

Etymology: late eighteenth century in most languages, traceable to Friul Italian voinacciale "soldierly (informal, somewhat derogatory)". This is an adjectival derivation related to cant term voina "soldier", from either Crovatian or Zahid Russian words meaning 'soldier' or 'war'.
Interesting! Is there a close-enough IRL equivalent that I could look up to help me get a clearer picture, or will my imagination have to suffice? [:)]
Jackk wrote: 28 Dec 2021 23:51 28m Lexembr
manoscart /ˌma.noˈxart/ [ˌma.nʊˈxɑːt]
- manoscard, a style of medieval monastic chant most popular in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries and characterised by the simultaneous use of the two [major and minor] pentatonic scales;
- any of a range of fabrics which were a blend of two distinct fabrics, most commonly wool and linen;
- (more generally) hybrid, something of mixed composition, usually a combination of tools or technologies getting the benefits of each component

Caution: not used of animals or plants, for which the term mastinað "mongrel, crossbreed" is preferred.

Etymology: borrowed into early Middle Boral around the end of the twelfth century from the continent, and particularly from Burgund French art manoscard "music of Manosque". This referred to the musical tradition of this sort of chant among the religious communities of the eastern Luberon region, including the Sassenine monastery overlooking the town of Manosque.

The extension to fabric is seen first in the Italian languages in the Revitalist period, and spreads quickly along with the fashions themselves. From there its more general usage begins to be attested, but not consistently in Boral until the end of the seventeenth century.
Excellent!
Jackk wrote: 28 Dec 2021 23:51 Y refectoir vença manoscart a vigt morac eð ambrosc.
/i ˌre.fɛkˈtɔjr vɛnˈtsa ˌma.noˈxart a vajt moˈrak ɛθ amˈbrɔx/
[i ˌʀe.fɪkˈtɔ.jɐ vɪnˈdza ˌma.nʊˈxɑːt a vajt mʊˈʀak e‿ðɐmˈbʀɔx]
def cafe sell-imp hybrid at fare Morrack and Ambrosian
The lunch-house sold Morrack-Ambrosian fusion food.
Is "Morrack" equivalent (however roughly) to "Moroccan"?

After a quick Google search for "Ambrosian", I thought ambrosc might be related to this. However, based on what I found after searching on the CBB:
Jackk wrote: 03 Dec 2021 00:49 Question 7 (twenty minutes)

Answer the following twenty excourse questions in brief.
(i) In what year were the two coasts of Mendeva first connected by rail, and in what town was the final station ceremonially established?
(ix) The Lies of 1824 were transmitted by steeplepost to be displayed on the Tapestry of Aiga d'Angoixa [3]; who conspired to initiate the hoax?
(xv) In the decade after the Second German War, immigration at the port of Santrafew spiked from which countries in particular, and why?
[…]
[3] A city near the coast on the St Lawrence river, a major city in the (majority Vascon-speaking) polity of Ambrosia.
It sounds like Ambrosia is in North America, unless there's another St. Lawrence River I'm unaware of.
Jackk wrote: 30 Dec 2021 17:08 30m Lexembr
jarry /ʒaˈri/ [ʒɐˈʀi]
- pottery, earthenware, fired ceramic objects that contain clay and are sculpted into shape;
- (specifically) bowls, jugs, vases, clay-fired objects used to contain liquids or other pourable goods;
- (colloquially) stuff, mess, various items strewn all over or in the way

Etymology: formed regularly in early Middle Boral from jar "clay pot" and the suffix -ry (compare veðry "glassware", argentry "silverware"). The noun comes via Norman or Vascon from Arabic جَرَّة‎ (jarra) "earthenware pot", and in the modern language has only restricted usage for small containers of medicine, spices or similar goods.
Oh, I've learned something about where the English word "jar" comes from!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 31r Lexembr
What follows is an enumeration of the "also-rans", primarily all the vocab I created incidentally for example sentences and for in-universe translations.
Great idea!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - staddenzan /ˌsta.dɛnˈzan/ [ˌsta.dɪnˈzan] staddenzen, local inhabitant of one of the polities that grew from early trading posts along the coasts of Cappatia [South America] and Africa; a direct borrowing from Saxon staddenzen, respelt to align with existing Boral denzan "local, denizen, citizen".
My apologies if you've explained this before here on the board, but what is the origin of the name "Cappatia", if I might ask?
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - bog /bɔj/ bow, weapon made of curved wood with ends connected by string and used for shooting arrows; borrowed from Old Norse bogi "bow". The word displaces native arc < Latin arcus, relegated in the modern language to the senses "arch (architecture), curve, part of a circle".

- bogher /bɔjˈɛr/ [bʊˈjɛː] archer, bowman, one who fights with a bow and arrow; a regular agentive derivation of the above.
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - vanagl /vaˈnɛjl/ [vɐˈnɛ.jʊ] cant, slang, jargon, the particular vocabulary shared by the members of a class or profession; not certain but usually taken to be a dialect descendant of Latin vernāculus "native, domestic, vernacular".
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - crougl /krujl/ [ˈkʀu.jʊ] knuckle, crook, joints of the fingers or toes or any features of a similar shape; presumably from Old English cnucel "knuckle" but only attested from the fourteenth century.

- varrigt /vaˈrajt/ [ˌvɐˈʀajt] tough, callused, unyielding, having formed a rough outer layer for protection; borrowed from Old English wearriht with very little change in meaning.
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - augtar /ojˈtar/ [ʊjˈtɑː] to deliver, convey, transport, to bring things or people to their destination; originally borrowed from Borland English ahtan "to send, give", presumably a reworking of āgan "to (cause to) own" according to aht-, the past tense root.
<og(h)> /ɔj/, <ag> /ɛj/, <oug> /uj/, <ig> /aj/, <aug> /oj/ [<3]
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - arn /ˈa.rn̩/ [ɑːn] fletch, vane, the part toward the back of an arrow, used for stabilisation during flight; probably also from Old Norse (cf. Ydreç 2008) but the etymon is unclear.
I was immediately reminded of ǫrn "eagle". Feathers can be attached to the back of an arrow to stabilize it, eagles have feathers… that's my crackpot theory. [:P]
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - heredical /heˌre.diˈkal/ [hɪˌʀe.dɪˈkaw] genetic, hereditary, relating to biological descent; a Scholastic Latin derivation of heres "heir, heiress".
That's an interesting "false cognate" (or whatever the term would be) of IRL English "heretical".
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - gorray /goˈre/ [gʊˈʀe] kola nut, edible seed of the kola tree used as a flavoring and as a source of caffeine; via continental Romance from one of the Bamackon languages of West Africa (cf. Wolof guru "kola nut").
Is "Bamackon" related to Bamako? What do we call this group of languages IRL, if I might ask?
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - roncaf /rɔnˈkaf/ [ʀʊŋˈkaf] mystery, puzzle, conundrum, a difficult choice or decision or riddle that must be made; from the fifteenth century as rom-caf "breaks the head".
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - hurislar /ˌhi.riˈslar/ [ˌhi.ʀɪˈzlɑː] to rustle, crackle, to make a sound similar to that of dry leaves; from the thirteenth century in diverse forms, likely onomatopoeic but influenced in some way by Old English hrūxlian "to make noise".
Very fun!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - queimasc /kwiˈmax/ [kwɪˈmax] cream cheese, soft cheese, a spreadable dairy product which is soft and mild-tasting; the exact origin is unclear but most scholars point to Lustaine's queimagen "cream cheese" as the earliest-attested variation of the word.
Intriguing!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - lausc /lox/ [lox] (dated) see!, I told you so!, interjection expression vindication or relief; partly from some phrases containing l'au "had it", but the origin of the coda -sc is unclear.
Maybe the final velar is due to influence from English "look!", if I might be allowed a bit more crackpottery. [:P]
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - auspeç /oˈspɛts/ [ʊˈspɛts] prophet, augur, one tasked with predicting the future; an early Middle Boral reborrowing from Latin auspex "augur, priest".
Excellent!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - yembr scið /ˈjɛm.br̩ ˈxɪθ/ [ˈʝɛm.bɐ ˈçɪh] to realise, come to know, to become aware of a reality that has been true for some time; literally "to get known", with verb yembr "to obtain, arrive" < Latin emō "I buy, acquire" and adjective scið "known, possible" < Latin scītum "learnt, approved".
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - amaçgat /ˌa.matsˈgat/ [ˌa.mɐsˈgat] nursery, a room or area in a household or an external business set apart for the care of children; via Mozara or other Spanish amazgato "nursery, flowerbed, place for growing plants", from Andalus Arabic اَلْمَسْقَى‎ <al-másqa> "seedbed".
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - connocry /ˌko.noˈkri/ [ˌko.nʊˈkʀi] ice dance, skating party, frost fair, a social occasion held on the iced-over surface of a lake or river; from Markish connockry, nominal derivation from connock "ice skate" (cf. Borlish connoc), itself from Vascon connòc /kuˈɲɔk/ < Russian конёк <kon'ok> "pony, skate".
Interesting!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - niacer /njaˈtsɛr/ [njɐˈdzɛː] (of birds) nesting, building nests; (metaphorical, colloquial) domestic, pertaining to the household; regular adjectival derivation of niaç "nest", which is itself an extension of earlier ni < Latin nīdus "nest".
I love "domestic" being derived from "nest"!
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - briscel /briˈxɛl/ [bʀɪˈçɛw] bush, shrub, woody plant with multiple stems and lower height than a tree; clipped from earlier arbriscel, from a presumed Vulgar Latin arboriscellus "small tree-like plant".
Oh, cool! I might have assumed some connection to "brush" or "bristle" if not for the etymology given here.
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - trelamn /treˈla.mn̩/ [tʀɪˈla.mɐn] triangle, polygon with three sides; from Old Boral tre lamne < Latin tres laminæ "three blades" (the meaning of the noun shifting to "edge" by the Old Boral period).
I'm positive I've said something along these lines at least once before, but one of my favorite things about Boral is how much freedom the setting in which it's spoken gives you when it comes to words like this. When I work on an a posteriori language, I typically imagine it being spoken in a version of our world where basically the only difference from how things are IRL is that the language I'm creating exists. Therefore, if I were making a Romance language, I'd most likely feel like my only reasonable option, given the words for "triangle" that I can find in natural Romance languages, would be to derive the word for "triangle" from triangulum. However, given the well-thought-out alternate history of the Boralverse, it doesn't strike me as at all unreasonable or anything like that for the Boral word for "triangle" to be trelamn. [:D]
Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:38 - acquïr /ˌa.kwajˈɪr/ [ˌa.kwɐˈjɪː] to acquiesce, assent, consent, to be satisfied without oppositon; reborrowing from Latin acquiēscō "I rest".
"And after the 31st day, Jackk rested". [:3]
Shemtov:
Spoiler:
Shemtov wrote: 27 Dec 2021 04:58 Week five:

Day 26:
Shóʰ /ʂo˥˧/
N. Mountain

27:
Réˀⁿ /ɹẽ˧˥/
N. Mine

Bˀòr /po:˧˩/
"Mountain pass"

Tȁʰ /tʰɛ˩˧/
"Cliff"

Mïȕˀⁿ
/mjỹ˩˧/
"Glacier"

Hyáⁿ /çã˥/
"City; City-state"
Fantastic!
Dormouse559:
Spoiler:
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2021 07:01 21 d' leksembro

neli/nelitye adj - left (direction); clumsy, awkward (< Lt. neglectus)
nelitye nfc - left

The term coexists with guaûçho (cf. Fr. gauche) but is more limited geographically, becoming more common as one travels east.

Sivê çetta ruiye e vou vverê la biblyotéka a vottra nelitye.
follow-IMP.2.FORM DEM-ACC.F.C road-ACC and 2.FORM see-FUT-2.FORM DEF-ACC.F.C library-ACC at 2.FORM-POSS-ACC.F.C left-ACC
Follow this road, and you'll see the library on your left.
It's always interesting to see this kind of etymology for a word meaning "left". Actually, thanks to this entry, I've learned a few things about how gauche is actually used in French and where the word comes from. I guess I just assumed that it only meant "awkward" because of how "gauche" is typically used in English.
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2021 07:01 22 d' leksembro

defendre v - to defend, protect, support; to forbid, prohibit, not allow (< Lt. defendo)

When a noun is being defended or forbidden, it is the direct object. The noun against which it is being defended, or for which it has been forbidden, is the indirect object. Introducing a basic subordinate clause, defendre can mean only "forbid (from doing sth)", and the clause goes in the imperfect subjunctive, which reflects the speaker's expectation that the forbidden action will not happen; the "forbiddee" remains the indirect object.

Mo-z enfan i mm' on defendu k' entréso dyê leur çhambre.
1S-POSS.NOM.M.C=PL kid 3 PL-1S.DAT have.3S forbid-PSTP SBRD enter-IPF_SBJV-1S in 3P.POSS room
My kids won't allow me to go in their rooms.

L' e ddefendu ke fumése.
3S be.3S forbid-PSTP SBRD smoke-IPF_SBJV-3S
Smoking is prohibited.
Fascinating!
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2021 07:01 24 d' leksembro

kréçhe nfc - Nativity scene; manger (< Frankish *krippija)
santon nmc - Nativity figurine (< Occitan santon "little saint")

Bouten lou santon dyê li kréçhï.
put-IMP.1P DEF-M.C.P figurine in DEF-OBL.F.C nativity_scene-OBL
Let's put the figurines in the Nativity scene.
Excellent! Regarding santon in particular, there's just something about inter-Romance borrowings, so to speak, that always catches my attention.
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2021 07:01 25 d' leksembro

poinsetyà nmc / ettéla de Çhalenda nfc - poinsettia (poinsetyà < Fr. poinsettia / ettéla de Çhalenda = lit. "star of Christmas")

Î-z on pû de poinsetyà / d' ettéla de Çhalenda aû merçheu.
3.NOM-PL no_more of poinsettia | of star of Christmas at.DEF.M market
They're out of poinsettias at the market.
Lovely!
Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Dec 2021 07:01 26 d' leksembro

kalendra nfcpl - the 12 days of Christmas, Dec. 26 to Jan. 6 (semilearned borrowing < Lt. Calendae; doublet of Çhalenda "Christmas")

Each of the 12 days following Christmas represents a month of the new year. In particular, good weather on Dec. 26 foretells a mild January.
Fantastic! Have you mentioned this idea of the Twelve Days of Christmas representing the twelve months of the coming year here on the board before, and/or is it based on a real tradition/belief in certain parts of Europe? Something about it feels very familiar, but I can't recall where I might have encountered it before, and I wasn't able to find anything by quickly searching either on Google or the CBB.
Glenn:
Spoiler:
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Participating in Lexember for the first time has been an interesting, if sometimes challenging, experience; my inspiration has been flagging periodically, and there are some topics that I do not feel ready to tackle just now. (For example, I have avoided posting any verbs of motion above; while I have some definite ideas about verbs of motion in Chusole, and verbal morphology in general, that topic is an ambitious one, and I do not feel prepared to nail down the details just yet.)
I absolutely know the feeling. For Week 5 this year, I originally wanted to create a series of verbs describing mental processes, states of being, and physical positions, but I ultimately decided I wasn't feeling up to the task.
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 While I will try to finish up the month, I will make no promises.
Best of luck! Absolutely no pressure from any of us, though. Congratulations! I've just seen your latest post. [:D]
Glenn wrote: 01 Jan 2022 01:10 I had slightly more ambitious plans for last few days of Lexember, but I am pleased to have made it through the end of the month, and happy to have made the effort; everyone’s contributions have been fascinating. It has been a pleasure joining you, and I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Thank you, and likewise, Happy New Year! I'm glad you were able to join us!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 9:

tionkong /'thjon.khoŋ/ ['tçjɔn.khɔŋ] – a raised platform or dais, most often square in shape, used for sitting; usually covered by a mat or rug, with cushions for seating and a low table in the middle.

Day 10:

tuhty /'thuh.thɨ/ ['thux.thɨ] – a variation on the tionkong with a sunken center; the raised seating area surrounds a central well in which e.g., a table or brazier can be placed. Depending on the design, the occupants may sit on cushions placed around the top, or low benches built into the inner side of the ring.
Do you have an idea of approximately how many people could fit comfortably on an average-sized tionkong or tuhty?
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 12:

hal /hal/ – (a) fall

korhal /'khol.hal/ [khor.hal] – sunset (lit., “sunfall”)

kol /khol/ – sun; note that [r] is an allophonic variation of /l/ after /kh/, /k/, /ŋ/, /h/, and /l/ (/ll/ -> [rl])

The speakers of Chusole (at least those with an extensive knowledge of geography) call the region in which they live Korháno, “Home of the Sunset”, as it is located in the westernmost part of the continent. The dominant state in Korhano is Kiarlon ['kjxar.lɔn], the Empire of the Crane (more literally, Country of the Crane, from kiarla “crane” and on “country, state, government), which occupies most of the inland areas of central and southern Korhano, and a portion of the coast as well. The northern provinces of Kiarlon broke away a couple of centuries ago to form a separate state, Shipano (Home of the Hawk, from shipa “hawk”), or Shyfano [’ʃɪ.ɸa.no] in the local language, Shyfanese, which could be considered either a sister language to Chusole or a divergent dialect.
Intriguing! Do speakers of Chusole without extensive geographical knowledge have a different name for Korhano, or is the implication that they don't really call the region anything?
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 14:

bakádiu /pa.'kha.tju/ [pa.'kha.dju] – vt. to scatter (something, e.g., seeds)
bakátsyldiu /pa.'kha. ʦhɨl.tju/ [pa.'kha.ʦhɨl.dju] – vi. to scatter (e.g., move or flee in all directions)

-tsyl-hɨl/ – reflexive suffix

(I had a vague notion that the root baká- could be composed of ba- “out, outside” and ka- “to move (something), throw”, but I am far from sure about this.
Interesting idea!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 15:

niudiu /'nju.tju/ ['nju.dju] – to poke

A throwaway word, inspired by the Russian ну nu (“Well…”), and by the image of two small children poking each other and saying, “Niu! Niu! Niu!”
Oh, how fun!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 18:

This is something of a cheat, but combining Days 11 and 17:

iom-pom /'jom.phom/ ['jɔm.phɔm] – bedding (an abbreviation of iomdam(ial) dai pom(ial) “blankets and pillows”)
No such thing as "cheating" in Lexember, as far as I'm concerned! [:)]
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 19:

pegil /'phe.kil/ ['phe.gil] – a kind of end-blown wooden flute, similar to a recorder; a common musical instrument in Kiarlon.
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 20:

akiotálahal /a.khjo.'tha.la.hal/ [a.kxjo.'tha.la.hal] – lit., “silver-fall,” a kind of large hammered dulcimer, traditionally played by female musicians, most famously those of the musical troupe at the Kiarloni imperial court in the capital of Tiolu.

akiotála – silver, lit. “bright metal,” composed of akio “bright” and tala “metal”
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 21:

badabáh /pa.ta.'pah/ [pa.da.'bax] – a drum; prototypically a small drum played by hand, somewhat like the West African djembe.
Lovely!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 22:

sisíla /si.'si.la/ - a legendary giant serpent, said to inhabit lakes and rivers; may or may not exist in reality.

(May be a derivation of a word sil “snake,” with the first syllable reduplicated as an intensifier; I’m not sure yet.)
Excellent!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 25:

shuliéin /ʃu.'ljejnj/ – brush

(Or possibly /ɕu.'ljejnj/; I am not sure whether the sounds represented by <sh, ch, j> are best characterized as palato-alveolar /ʃ, tʃh, tʃ/ or alveolo-palatal /ɕ, tɕh, tɕ/.)

lidzidiumi shuliein
– writing brush (lit. “brush for writing”)

-mi /mi/ – allative case suffix: Tiolumi “to Tiolu”; Cholemmi “to Cholen’s house” (Cholen is the first name of the main character in my hypothetical story set in this conworld). Also used as a benefactive, or here, a purposive (“for X”); with an infinitive/verbal noun, this gives the meaning “for X-ing” or “in order to X.” (There may be some additional morphology involved to disambiguate these different uses; in the case of benefactive/malefactive use, I had an idea a long time ago for a verb suffix (or possibly a postposition) that when combined with the allative case, gave a benefactive meaning, and when combined with the ablative case, gave a malefactive meaning. At the time, I didn’t really know what I was doing, but I may still make use of the idea.)
Very interesting! As for <sh ch j>, do both [ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ] and [ɕ t͡ɕʰ t͡ɕ] occur, either in free variation or complementary distribution with one another?
Glenn wrote: 29 Dec 2021 04:50 Day 27:

sholoiu /'ʃo.lo.ju/ – still water; metaphorically, inner peace, serenity

sholo /’ʃo.lo/ – as an adjective, motionless, still, quiet; as a noun, stillness, quiet

iu /ju/ - water

I have my wife to thank for this one; we do not often discuss the topic of conlanging, but I shared my work for Lexember with her, and her suggestion inspired this entry. [:)]
Oh, that's wonderful!
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 Day 28:

kirlíndaiu /khil.'lin.ta.ju/ [khir'lin.ta.ju] – flowing/running water; metaphorically, action, activity, drive (from kirlindai iu)

kirlíndiu /khil.'lin.tju/ [khir'lin.tju] – to flow

-dai /tai/ - present participle suffix

The achievement of sholoiu, or inner peace, is one of the goals of Kiarloni ascetic and meditative practices, but many Kiarloni thinkers would say that both sholoiu and kirlindaiu are needed: both the stillness of the pool, and the action of the running water that moves the world, that changes the river’s course and eats away the stone.

The heart of Kiarlon is the Shamian(“Great Valley”), a plain crossed by major rivers, and the metaphors of Water and the River are significant symbols in some currents of Kiarloni philosophy and religion.

Other water-related words:

liiu /'li.ju/ – body of water, lake, pond

daliiu 'ta.li.ju/ – sea (da /ta/ – big, vast, expansive)
Glenn wrote: 01 Jan 2022 01:10 Day 30:

tai giolodiu /thaj 'kjo.lo.tju/ [thaj 'kjo.lo.dju] – “to ascend the mountain”; metaphorically, to seek knowledge

tai /thaj/ – mountain, hill

giolodiu /'kjo.lo.tju/ ['kjo.lo.dju] – to ascend, go up(ward)

The metaphor of knowledge as climbing a mountain can be interpreted in multiple ways, but one of the most significant is that of greater vision: from the top of the mountain, one can see further, and one’s gaze encompasses more of the world.

Tai also appears in the name of the city of Amantai, “Five Hills,” which is a translation of the native name, Pirkinesi, (pir “five,” kin “hill” -esi, plural suffix) in the language of the Meritskilesi, or Coastlanders. Amantai/Pirkinesi is a port city located at the end of a mountainous peninsula; once an independent city-state, it is now part of Kiarlon, but still remains culturally and linguistically distinct. (Note that the Chusole word tai can be equivalent both to English “mountain” and to “hill,” while kin in Meritskilesi can be translated more specifically as “hill”, with higher mountains being referred to by another term.)

Day 31:

liujandan kirlimiel bidiu /'lju.tʃan.ta 'khil.limjel 'pi.tju/ [’lju.dʒan.ta 'khir.lim 'pi.dju] – “to see the currents in the river”; metaphorically, to gain wisdom

liujan /'lju.tʃan/ ['lju.dʒan] – river, from liiu “body of water” (see Day 29) + jan; lit. “waterway”

jan /tʃan/ – way, path

-dan /tan/ – locative case suffix

kirlim /'khil.lim/ ['khir.lim] – flow, current

-iel/-ial /jel/, /jal/ – plural suffix

bidiu /'pi.tju/ ['pi.dju] – to see

The metaphor for wisdom is that of sensing the hidden currents in a stream, and being able to interpret the direction of their flow; as one Kiarloni philosopher has written, “The knowledgeable man sees far, and the wise man sees deep, while one who is a sage sees both.”
Fascinating!
spanick:
Spoiler:
spanick wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:45 Lexember 27

Weddisch
anng
/aŋː/
1. (adj.) awkward, embarrassing, cringey, the feeling of social discomfort
2. (nn.) cringe (informal)
3. (interjection) ugh, oh no, awkward...

angemóed
/aŋɡəmøːd/
1. (nn.) awkwardness, embarrassment, the feeling of social discomfort

My German class and I used to always joke about how hard it was (or rather we felt) it was to translate certain ideas into German. In particular, we thought it was difficult to capture the concept of that uncomfortable awkwardness in social situations which is often now called "cringe." We would joke that Es gibt kein Konzept! for awkwardness. Anyway, this is why I decided to coin this term. Ultimately, it's derived from OE ange which has several meanings such as narrowness, tightness, anxiety, etc. I felt that it was semantically close enough to undergo a shift from anxiety to awkwardness and the tightness also reminded me of that tight feeling in your stomach you get from being in uncomfortable situations. I also really like how /aŋː/ sounds like the kind of sound I would make when an uncomfortable situation beings or won't stop, so it's also slightly onomatopoetic.
Oh yeah, going from "angst" to "cringe" seems reasonable to me, semantically, and I completely agree about how the word sounds.
spanick wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:45
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Also, in case I forget or don't get a chance to respond to it directly, I love the map and all of the dialectal information from your latest post in the Weddisch/Nortsääenglisch thread.
Thank you! I hope to post some more specific information on each dialect soon.
I look forward to it!
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19Fascinating! I wasn't aware of this story before now. I keep reading the name "Lord Halewijn" as "Lord Halloween", and the fact that he's a warlock who cuts off women's heads probably doesn't help.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I keep imagining something like the headless horseman for some reason.
Oh, absolutely! [:D]
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19Out of curiosity, is /ʒaːk/ also how Weddish speakers would likely pronounce the French name "Jacques"?
Good question! I actually think they would pronounce it /ʒak/ with the short vowel as in French. However, I see that vowel tends to be lengthened when borrowed, so I'm sure /ʒaːk/ would also be likely.
Ah, makes sense! Thank you!
spanick wrote: 29 Dec 2021 06:15 Lexember 28

Weddisch
vórd (pl. vórde)
/vœɾd/
1. firth, fjord

Borrowing from Old Norse fjǫrðr. Homophonous with wórd “worth” and nearly homophonous with vóerd “fourth.”
Fun!
spanick wrote: 30 Dec 2021 01:55 Lexember 28

Weddisch

schref (pl. schrev)
/ʒɾɛf/
1. cave

lew (pl. leun)
/lɛu/
1. rounded, solitary hill
2. cairn
Not at all a big deal, of course, but just in case it's important for your records or something like that, I believe the date above should be "Lexember 29".
spanick wrote: 30 Dec 2021 01:55 seylraad (pl. seylraade)
/zɛɪlɾaːd/
1. ocean current

Literally means “sail-road” and is a familiar kenning found in Beowulf (1429 b). The Weddisch are known for their maritime occupations and love of singing and sorry telling and this is given as the reason that this circumlocution has survived into modern usage. Regardless, that this kenning has survived into modern times from poetic language while simultaneously taking on a semantically more narrow and technical meaning is odd. This word also specifically only refers to ocean currents. Interestingly, the Weddisch have two other common words for current: stream “river current” and vlouinng “flow, current.” Stream is another technical term whereas vlouing is used more generally and is also used to describe electric current.
Very cool! Is "(1429 b)" in reference to a particular line(?) of Beowulf?
spanick wrote: 31 Dec 2021 21:59 Lexember 31

Weddisch

rêst in vridde
/rest ɪn vɾɪdə/
1. rest in peace, an expression of hope of blessing that a deceased person is at peace
Calque of Latin Requiscat in Pacem. Vridde is a fossilized dative form not otherwise found in everyday speech.

rêste
1. (w.v.) to rest
(3S present rêstes, past tense rêsted, past participle rêsted, auxiliary hawe)

vrid (pl. vridde)
1. (uncountable) peace
2. sanctuary, refuge
I love the fossilized dative!
Man in Space:
Spoiler:
Man in Space wrote: 29 Dec 2021 04:55 Day 24: *√ḅwn 'point source of light, star, spark, dot, ember'
> *Awḅwon 'Algol, Beta Persei'
> *ḅawąn 'dying fire, ember, coal'
> *ḅawno 'flash'
> *boḅwon 'shooting star, meteor, bolide'
> *kawḅawąn 'constellation, asterism'
> *ḅowon 'star'
Man in Space wrote: 29 Dec 2021 04:55 Day 26: *√wmn 'persist, remain, persevere, weather (some difficulty), not give up, stick-to-itiveness'
> *kawman 'drive, ambition, motivation'
> *owmąn 'I invigorate, I boost, I encourage, I motivate, I provide moral support'
> *owmen 'I keep on'
> *Wamman 'Sirius'
> *yowmen 'I face (an opponent, a challenge, a difficulty), I meet (in battle, in competition)'
Very cool to see the names of stars like Algol and Sirius! Also, if I might ask, how is <ḅ> pronounced?
Man in Space wrote: 29 Dec 2021 04:55 Day 28: *√rkw 'spread, make known, promulgate, encourage, colonize, send out, distribute'
> *borkaw 'self-talk, inner monologue, mind's eye, consciousness'
> *erkǫw 'fame, reputation'
> *orkew 'I spread the word, I make known, I propagandize'
> *rokow 'lizard sp.'
> *rǫkkǫw 'mystic, ascetic, shaman, holy man'
> *yerkǫw 'news, update(s)'
> *yorkew 'I update, I send word'
Man in Space wrote: 01 Jan 2022 05:43 Day 31: *√lsk 'dream, goal, want, desire; north'
> *alisak '(the) north'
> *awlsak 'impetus'
> *kolsak 'means (to an end)'
> *losek 'dream, desire, aim, hope'
> *yolsek 'I take action in furtherance of a goal'
Very interesting!
qwed117:
Spoiler:
qwed117 wrote: 31 Dec 2021 10:13 Happy Lexember, everybody:

I had, late in November, planned to join in on Lexember festivities, but I just didn't have time, or the mental capacity to really do it most of the early days. I remembered sometime around 12/20, and realized that participating with just words wasn't going to be enjoyable or "justifiable". So instead, I decided to translate some tweet-poetry I had made over the last year. They're all individually connected to a theme, tenuously.
Hello! Nice to have you back.

All of that is completely understandable, of course! I hope you've been able to enjoy participating in the way that you have. [:D]

I'm afraid I don't have anything more specific to say, really, but I like all of your poems!
qwed117 wrote: 31 Dec 2021 10:13 NB: jűm2ra4 lük1jè2 is a bit closer to meaning just 'bustle' or 'ruckus'. I took some liberties in translation.
No worries. If I'd been able to come up with any example sentences this past month, I'd certainly have been taking plenty of liberties myself!
qwed117 wrote: 31 Dec 2021 10:13 I had planned on writing all of this in the script I had written for this language, but I realize I had left my notes on the script in my dorm, and won't have access to them until January 9th at minimum. I do plan on eventually doing that though!
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I look forward to seeing this eventually, though!
Khemehekis:
Spoiler:
Khemehekis wrote: 01 Jan 2022 11:39 BONUS WORDS: shekhad: barge
podoy: (P) to get stuck (because someone/something is too big to fit through)
Interesting!
Khemehekis wrote: 01 Jan 2022 11:39 DAY 31

miyid: thrilled

Shaleya-ba-heyak ño leñey Lekasemiba has ab hel miyid.
Shaleya-of-language with participate_in Lexember from 1s COP thrilled
I was thrilled from participating in Lexember with Shaleyan.

BONUS: leñey (to join) can now also mean "to join in", "to participate in", or "to participate".
[:D]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Thanks shimo! [:D]

Although I didn't get past Week 3 this year (things just got really busy toward the end of the month to the point where I had little time online in general) it was still fun to participate and make an attempt with a brand new language (it was interesting how creating new vocabulary every day led me to develop the grammar further). I appreciate the amount of work you put into this, especially commenting on everyone's posts (always nice to have that and encourages me to keep working). Hopefully I can do more conlanging in 2022 than I did in 2021!
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35
First of all, I want to thank you for hosting this event, and especially for all the comments you've made on everyone's work (and the compliments you gave to Lohdan and Adunî, of course [;)] ). You're awesome! [:D]

Now, to answer your questions:
shimobaatar wrote:How long has the Hall of the Dead been in use? Do you have an idea of approximately how many people are interred there? Is there a concern that the Hall of the Dead might eventually run out of space?
The Hall of the Dead was built more than 500 years ago under Turin I, the third monarch of Lôgrad. It has been in use since then.

I know for sure that the bodies of 17 monarchs are there. I'm not sure how many other nobles are there, but taking a look at the family trees I've made, I'd expect there to be about twice as many other nobles as there are monarchs in there.

Nowadays, there is no concern that the Hall might run out of space, but that was a concern in other times. About a hundred years ago, Lôtrul, the seventeenth tûrac, was worried that the Hall was running out of space, so she has greatly expanded it inside the mountains*. There is a lot of space there now. For reference, the current tûrac, Turan IV, is the twenty-first tûrac.

A funny note: ever since the expansion of the Hall, the people of Halárad have begun to say that one day, the Hall of the Dead will come out through the other side of the mountain. This is mostly a joke, but there are some people who actually believe this.

*The Hall of the Dead was originally built right by the side of a mountain.
shimobaatar wrote:Is the Hall of the Dead open to the public?
Only nobles, priests, and the guards who work there may enter the Hall. Other people need an authorisation from a noble (which doesn't happen very often).
shimobaatar wrote:Are the embalmed bodies frequently viewed by the living?
Once a year, on the Day of the Dead*, the nobility of Lôgrad gathers inside the Hall to pay their respects to the dead and make offerings to Krun (the god of the dead). There are some nobles who visit the Hall (for those same reasons) more often than that, but they usually do that alone.

Some priests of Krun go inside the Hall everyday, but they go there to do things other than look at the bodies.

*The Day of the Dead is on the 5th of Brúvadis. This month corresponds more or less to July here on the South Hemisphere, or January on the North Hemisphere.
shimobaatar wrote:How long ago was Lohin's reign?
Her reign was about 450 years ago. Lôgrad has since tried to attack Oyureh many times, but never managed to get very far.
shimobaatar wrote:Since her body was never recovered and was thus unable to be placed in the Hall of the Dead, is there some sort of monument to her there instead?
There are actually two other monarchs whose bodies also aren't in the Hall of the Dead: Lohan I and Satrul I, who died before the Hall was built. All of them have statues of marble in the entrance of the Hall. They also have tombs like those of the other monarchs: golden and red*, with a kadavîd dedicated to them and their name engraved in stone. Of course, their tombs are empty.

*The colours of Lôgrad are gold and red, as you can see in this Image awful-looking emoji I made.
shimobaatar wrote: Also, are the people of Oyureh a different species than the people of Lôgrad? That is, are the Lohtûrin themselves "elves", or are they humans or something else?
Yes. The Lohtûrin and the Adûnîyi are humans, while the Oyuahyah (the people of Oyureh) and the Ëastire (the people of Ëastrech) are elves. Supposedly there are other fantasy races elsewhere in Tûdav, but I still haven't decided which and where.
shimobaatar wrote:To clarify, tûrac and sîrac are both gender-neutral terms, correct?
Yes. I used "king" for "tûrac" in some glosses because I was referring to the current tûrac, king Turan IV.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

This Lexember was incredibly productive for me! Main words aside, for the example sentences, further etymologies and extra words, I managed to create 330 new words in this lexember, which is presumably more in the entire rest of the year. Granted, 80 of them were chemical elements (which were loaned most of the time), but that still leaves me with 250 "true" new lemmas.
I Lorik wrote: 01 Jan 2022 20:46 First of all, I want to thank you for hosting this event, and especially for all the comments you've made on everyone's work (and the compliments you gave to Lohdan and Adunî, of course ). You're awesome!
I can only agree on that, Shimo! I noticed that I was always looking forward to your kind comments every Sunday. It made working on the words a lot more fun and also gave me an incentive to give some thought into the etymologies.
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Oh! I thought that cerenpèsceren sounded familiar, and it turns out there's a good reason for that:
Wow, you don't only comment on the same lexember, but even remember words from older Lexembers! That's awesome! [:)]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Ah, how do you say "couples therapy" in Yélian?
[:D] clears throat Let's see:

Lexember 32 - Yélian

yànirespal [ˌʃɐnɨˈɾespɐl] - couple's therapy
Etymology: yàni "couple" + respal "therapy; commissure, stitches"
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I’m very happy with Lexember this year. Last year my wife and I both got COVID which forced me to abruptly stop Lexember. After that I didn’t really come back to CBB until this Lexember. Even though I abandoned Yemya along the way, I’m very glad to have played, come up with more ideas for Weddisch, and of course I’m very thankful ESV to Shimo for all the encouraging comments to me and everyone else. Happy New Year, everyone!
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Very cool! Is "(1429 b)" in reference to a particular line(?) of Beowulf?
Yes, each line is numbered. A feature of Old English poetry is the use of a caesura, which is a metrical break in the verse. The “b” indicates that the word is found in the second half of line 1429:

sorh-fulne sīð // on segl-rāde,
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

KaiTheHomoSapien:
Spoiler:
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 01 Jan 2022 18:38 Thanks shimo! [:D]

Although I didn't get past Week 3 this year (things just got really busy toward the end of the month to the point where I had little time online in general) it was still fun to participate and make an attempt with a brand new language (it was interesting how creating new vocabulary every day led me to develop the grammar further). I appreciate the amount of work you put into this, especially commenting on everyone's posts (always nice to have that and encourages me to keep working). Hopefully I can do more conlanging in 2022 than I did in 2021!
I'm happy to hear that you had fun! [:D] I enjoyed getting to see Tamagic for the first time.

I Lorik:
Spoiler:
I Lorik wrote: 01 Jan 2022 20:46
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35
First of all, I want to thank you for hosting this event, and especially for all the comments you've made on everyone's work (and the compliments you gave to Lohdan and Adunî, of course [;)] ). You're awesome! [:D]
Oh, thank you so much! It's my pleasure! [:D]
I Lorik wrote: 01 Jan 2022 20:46 Now, to answer your questions:
Thank you for your responses!
shimobaatar wrote:How long has the Hall of the Dead been in use? Do you have an idea of approximately how many people are interred there? Is there a concern that the Hall of the Dead might eventually run out of space?
The Hall of the Dead was built more than 500 years ago under Turin I, the third monarch of Lôgrad. It has been in use since then.

I know for sure that the bodies of 17 monarchs are there. I'm not sure how many other nobles are there, but taking a look at the family trees I've made, I'd expect there to be about twice as many other nobles as there are monarchs in there.

Nowadays, there is no concern that the Hall might run out of space, but that was a concern in other times. About a hundred years ago, Lôtrul, the seventeenth tûrac, was worried that the Hall was running out of space, so she has greatly expanded it inside the mountains*. There is a lot of space there now. For reference, the current tûrac, Turan IV, is the twenty-first tûrac.

A funny note: ever since the expansion of the Hall, the people of Halárad have begun to say that one day, the Hall of the Dead will come out through the other side of the mountain. This is mostly a joke, but there are some people who actually believe this.

*The Hall of the Dead was originally built right by the side of a mountain.
Understood! I was curious about how they might go about expanding the Hall, if necessary, and how easy expanding it would be. Knowing about the mountains gives me a much clearer mental image! [:)]
shimobaatar wrote:Is the Hall of the Dead open to the public?
Only nobles, priests, and the guards who work there may enter the Hall. Other people need an authorisation from a noble (which doesn't happen very often).
shimobaatar wrote:Are the embalmed bodies frequently viewed by the living?
Once a year, on the Day of the Dead*, the nobility of Lôgrad gathers inside the Hall to pay their respects to the dead and make offerings to Krun (the god of the dead). There are some nobles who visit the Hall (for those same reasons) more often than that, but they usually do that alone.

Some priests of Krun go inside the Hall everyday, but they go there to do things other than look at the bodies.

*The Day of the Dead is on the 5th of Brúvadis. This month corresponds more or less to July here on the South Hemisphere, or January on the North Hemisphere.
Ah, OK! I was wondering if the bodies were embalmed because they're constantly, or at least regularly, visible to a large number of people, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
shimobaatar wrote:Since her body was never recovered and was thus unable to be placed in the Hall of the Dead, is there some sort of monument to her there instead?
There are actually two other monarchs whose bodies also aren't in the Hall of the Dead: Lohan I and Satrul I, who died before the Hall was built. All of them have statues of marble in the entrance of the Hall. They also have tombs like those of the other monarchs: golden and red*, with a kadavîd dedicated to them and their name engraved in stone. Of course, their tombs are empty.

*The colours of Lôgrad are gold and red, as you can see in this Image awful-looking emoji I made.
Makes sense! Also, that's a lot better-looking than anything I could make. [:)]
shimobaatar wrote: Also, are the people of Oyureh a different species than the people of Lôgrad? That is, are the Lohtûrin themselves "elves", or are they humans or something else?
Yes. The Lohtûrin and the Adûnîyi are humans, while the Oyuahyah (the people of Oyureh) and the Ëastire (the people of Ëastrech) are elves. Supposedly there are other fantasy races elsewhere in Tûdav, but I still haven't decided which and where.
I see! Very interesting!

Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 02 Jan 2022 14:23 This Lexember was incredibly productive for me! Main words aside, for the example sentences, further etymologies and extra words, I managed to create 330 new words in this lexember, which is presumably more in the entire rest of the year. Granted, 80 of them were chemical elements (which were loaned most of the time), but that still leaves me with 250 "true" new lemmas.
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations!
Iyionaku wrote: 02 Jan 2022 14:23
I Lorik wrote: 01 Jan 2022 20:46 First of all, I want to thank you for hosting this event, and especially for all the comments you've made on everyone's work (and the compliments you gave to Lohdan and Adunî, of course ). You're awesome!
I can only agree on that, Shimo! I noticed that I was always looking forward to your kind comments every Sunday. It made working on the words a lot more fun and also gave me an incentive to give some thought into the etymologies.
Oh, thank you so much! That's wonderful to hear. [<3] I'm so glad that my comments had that kind of effect!
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Oh! I thought that cerenpèsceren sounded familiar, and it turns out there's a good reason for that:
Wow, you don't only comment on the same lexember, but even remember words from older Lexembers! That's awesome! [:)]
Well, I somehow managed to remember cerenpèsceren, but not that I had already commented on "Shellian" last year. [:P]
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Ah, how do you say "couples therapy" in Yélian?
[:D] clears throat Let's see:

Lexember 32 - Yélian

yànirespal [ˌʃɐnɨˈɾespɐl] - couple's therapy
Etymology: yàni "couple" + respal "therapy; commissure, stitches"
[:D] Fantastic! I love the range of meanings for respal, as well as how yànirespal sounds.

spanick:
Spoiler:
spanick wrote: 02 Jan 2022 14:58 I’m very happy with Lexember this year. Last year my wife and I both got COVID which forced me to abruptly stop Lexember. After that I didn’t really come back to CBB until this Lexember. Even though I abandoned Yemya along the way, I’m very glad to have played, come up with more ideas for Weddisch, and of course I’m very thankful ESV to Shimo for all the encouraging comments to me and everyone else. Happy New Year, everyone!
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with what you've accomplished during Lexember 2021! I enjoyed getting to see more of Weddisch (and Yemya, for part of the month). [:D]

I hope that you and your wife have been doing reasonably well, all things considered, this past year, and that things go as smoothly as possible for you and your loved ones in 2022!
spanick wrote: 02 Jan 2022 14:58
shimobaatar wrote: 01 Jan 2022 14:35 Very cool! Is "(1429 b)" in reference to a particular line(?) of Beowulf?
Yes, each line is numbered. A feature of Old English poetry is the use of a caesura, which is a metrical break in the verse. The “b” indicates that the word is found in the second half of line 1429:

sorh-fulne sīð // on segl-rāde,
Ah, got it. Thank you for the explanation!
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

I meant to post this earlier, but life offline has been taking priority. I had the opportunity to finish it in part due to being kept home for a day by a sudden snowstorm (or rather, the ice that followed).

I too had a few questions for I Lorik regarding the Hall of the Dead in Halárad:
I Lorik wrote: There, their bodies are preserved using special techniques so that they look exactly as they did when they died.
Do the preservation techniques need to be renewed periodically by the priests, or does the initial treatment preserve them indefinitely? I suppose if magic of some kind is involved, that might affect the answer. (I ask in part because I remember visiting Lenin’s Tomb in Moscow many years ago, and learning later that Lenin’s body does indeed require periodic touching up.)
Do they go there for ritual purposes, e.g., ceremonies for the worship of Krun?

In addition, I wanted to respond to shimobaatar:
shimobaatar wrote: Thank you, and likewise, Happy New Year! I'm glad you were able to join us!
Thank you for all of your kind comments! 😊 I will do my best to answer your questions.
Glenn wrote:Participating in Lexember for the first time has been an interesting, if sometimes challenging, experience; my inspiration has been flagging periodically, and there are some topics that I do not feel ready to tackle just now. (For example, I have avoided posting any verbs of motion above; while I have some definite ideas about verbs of motion in Chusole, and verbal morphology in general, that topic is an ambitious one, and I do not feel prepared to nail down the details just yet.)
I absolutely know the feeling. For Week 5 this year, I originally wanted to create a series of verbs describing mental processes, states of being, and physical positions, but I ultimately decided I wasn't feeling up to the task.
My own plans for Week 5 included creating new vocabulary dealing with the concepts of knowledge, wisdom, and judgement, in addition, to the metaphors for those concepts that I was able to create, but that turned out to be more than I could manage.
Do you have an idea of approximately how many people could fit comfortably on an average-sized tionkong or tuhty?
That’s a good question! I think I see the average tionkong as able to accommodate up to two or three people on a side, or eight to twelve people altogether; some might be smaller or larger. The tuhtyial tend to be a bit larger than the tionkongial, to allow for the open area in the middle; some are square, like the tionkongial, while others are more ring-shaped. (The inspiration for the tuhty comes from my time in Kazakhstan, where I first started what became Chusole; the Kazakh host family I lived with when I first arrived had something similar in their home, with a low table in the middle, where they ate their meals.)
Do speakers of Chusole without extensive geographical knowledge have a different name for Korhano, or is the implication that they don't really call the region anything?
I added that qualifier at the last minute, with the thought that while some people (the educated, government officials, those whose occupations involve long-distance travel) would likely have an idea of the overall shape of their country and the region in which it is located, the more run-of-the-mill members of the population (farmers, craftsmen, laborers) might be primarily familiar with the geography of their immediate area, with only a hazy idea (if any) of the bigger picture.

(I do have some vague notions regarding education in Kiarlon, with a degree of basic education provided in some cases at local temples; I do not know whether this includes any instruction in geography, however. Officials in the imperial government, on the other hand, are chosen from the graduates of state-sponsored academies; I think that their education is much more likely to include geographic information.)

In re-reading your quote, I realized that I had made a mistake in my original post: I meant to write that [r] is an allophonic variation of /l/ before /kh/, /k/, /ŋ/, /h/, and /l/, not after. (This piece of allophony, or more specifically the feature /ll/ -> [rl], is one of a couple of elements suggested to me long ago by Jeff Burke, aka vohpenonomae, who was a member of the ZBB at the time.
Very interesting! As for <sh ch j>, do both [ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ] and [ɕ t͡ɕʰ t͡ɕ] occur, either in free variation or complementary distribution with one another?
That’s a good question. Part of the reason for my waffling is that I created Chusole with a contrast between palatalized and non-palatalized consonants in most positions, but I pictured palatized /s, ʦ, ʦh/ as merging with their fricative realizations; if those are palatalized, that would yield [ɕ t͡ɕʰ t͡ɕ], but in practice, I generally pronounce them as [ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ]. (Then again, I decided that Chusole would have a series of aspirated and unaspirated stops, with the latter voiced intervocalically (which I then extended to the affricates, since these tend to pattern with the stops), but as an English speaker, I tend to pronounce the unaspirated stops as voiced anyway). I suspect that both variants may occur, possibly depending on different variables, but I am not sure what way I want to go. (I am also not certain how /h/ fits in; it is normally [h] syllable-initially and [x] syllable-finally, but there may well be a separate palatalized phoneme /hj/, which would probably be realized as [ç].

I hope that helps answer your questions; thanks again!