mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexember 2021

Post by Khemehekis »

I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:49
Khemehekis wrote: So in other words:

tûrac = monarch regnant
sîrac = monarch consort
Oh, I didn't know there were words for that. Thanks!
You're welcome.

I arrived at a somewhat similar scheme in Kankonian many years ago. Originally, tei was the word for both "king" and "queen". Then one day I was thinking about my Kankonian word and it hit me: sometimes a queen is the monarch of her country (like Elizabeth II and Victoria), and sometimes the king is the real ruler and the queen is just the king's wife. I kept tei for the first case, but added a new word, tenya, to refer to the second case.

Several years later, I ran across the terms "queen regnant" and "queen consort" by accident. I added those two terms as entries in my English-Kankonian dictionary.

On my planet of Mensinghi, a water realm inhabited by the aquatic bansak, normally under a queen due to the bansak's matriarchal nature, the Palang language has one word for "queen" but has two words for "king": kén is a king regnant, and tsia is a king consort.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

27m Lexember
voinaçal /ˌvɔj.naˈtsal/ [ˌvɔj.nɐˈdzaw]
- armourcloth, a distinctive period of women's fashion, most prevalent in Europe during the Long Peace, which emulated men's military dress

Etymology: late eighteenth century in most languages, traceable to Friul Italian voinacciale "soldierly (informal, somewhat derogatory)". This is an adjectival derivation related to cant term voina "soldier", from either Crovatian or Zahid Russian words meaning 'soldier' or 'war'.

Y domn voinaçal portant ayen y connocry ris ne camp abat.
/i ˈdɔ.mn̩ vɔj.naˈtsal pɔrˈtant ɛjˈɛn i ˌko.noˈkri ʀɪz ne kamp aˈbat/
[i ˈdɔ.mɐn ˌvɔj.nɐˈdzaw pʊːˈtant ɪˈʝɛn i ˌko.nʊˈkʀi ʀɪz ne kamp ɐˈbat]
def woman armourcloth wear-ptcp.prs have-imp.3p def ice.dance make.ptcp.pst in field war
The women in armourcloth had transformed the ice dance into a battlefield.

---

short extract taken from the 1919 sensation trevold Flaxen Hearts, a work in the nascent genre of social comedy popularised by the lovetales of Clarissa Bellamy and the adolescences of Dorotha Quistack, among others. The genre is characterised by plots with low stakes, an emphasis of personal friendships and enmities, and either rural or lower-class urban settings. This book hews closely to the tropes of the genre, and like many of its ilk it is a Long Peace period story; it was written (originally in Mozara as Querdos Llinoros) by Judeta Barracin after she had returned from her years in Arcabil.

…spectre of her absent husband, Pomona would never have been able to speak so knowledgeably on the subject of the ongoing congeries of Mendevan wars, about which Emilla had heard quite enough from her youngest brother that very morning.

The lamplighter had been and gone round the juncture onto Zanca de Molinero by the time Pomona's cavalcade of cognoscences began to wind down and smaller conversations managed to sidle in unnoticed. Emilla arose from her increasingly-uncomfortable seat by the window, rearranged the fiddliest parts of her winged shoulder pieces (recently retailored in the armourcloth style by her darling Valeria, a recent repatriate from an expedition to Naples in search of ever-more 'disimpecciabile' fashions), and caught the eye of her sister-in-law Zoe, whose bearing suggested her interlocutor was at least passable.

"Emilla, I hope you tried the jaumetia, it was delightful—but I simply have to introduce you to Sidé Marquez, he's a friend of Uncle Angel recently up from…
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

Back yet again, and attempting to catch up (hopefully!).

Lexember 2021 – Chusole:

Day 9:

tionkong /'thjon.khoŋ/ ['tçjɔn.khɔŋ] – a raised platform or dais, most often square in shape, used for sitting; usually covered by a mat or rug, with cushions for seating and a low table in the middle.

Day 10:

tuhty /'thuh.thɨ/ ['thux.thɨ] – a variation on the tionkong with a sunken center; the raised seating area surrounds a central well in which e.g., a table or brazier can be placed. Depending on the design, the occupants may sit on cushions placed around the top, or low benches built into the inner side of the ring.

Day 11:

pom /phom/ [phɔm] – cushion (e.g., for sitting)

Day 12:

hal /hal/ – (a) fall

korhal /'khol.hal/ [khor.hal] – sunset (lit., “sunfall”)

kol /khol/ – sun; note that [r] is an allophonic variation of /l/ after /kh/, /k/, /ŋ/, /h/, and /l/ (/ll/ -> [rl])

The speakers of Chusole (at least those with an extensive knowledge of geography) call the region in which they live Korháno, “Home of the Sunset”, as it is located in the westernmost part of the continent. The dominant state in Korhano is Kiarlon ['kjxar.lɔn], the Empire of the Crane (more literally, Country of the Crane, from kiarla “crane” and on “country, state, government), which occupies most of the inland areas of central and southern Korhano, and a portion of the coast as well. The northern provinces of Kiarlon broke away a couple of centuries ago to form a separate state, Shipano (Home of the Hawk, from shipa “hawk”), or Shyfano [’ʃɪ.ɸa.no] in the local language, Shyfanese, which could be considered either a sister language to Chusole or a divergent dialect.

Day 13:

danal /'ta.nal/ – (a) dance

danaldiu /'ta.nal.tju/ ['ta.nal.dju] – to dance

Day 14:

bakádiu /pa.'kha.tju/ [pa.'kha.dju] – vt. to scatter (something, e.g., seeds)
bakátsyldiu /pa.'kha. ʦhɨl.tju/ [pa.'kha.ʦhɨl.dju] – vi. to scatter (e.g., move or flee in all directions)

-tsyl-hɨl/ – reflexive suffix

(I had a vague notion that the root baká- could be composed of ba- “out, outside” and ka- “to move (something), throw”, but I am far from sure about this.

Day 15:

niudiu /'nju.tju/ ['nju.dju] – to poke

A throwaway word, inspired by the Russian ну nu (“Well…”), and by the image of two small children poking each other and saying, “Niu! Niu! Niu!”

Day 16:

iokyldiu /'jo.khɨl.tju/ ['jo.khɨl.dju] – to stumble, trip over one’s own feet

Day 17:

iomdiu /'jom.tju/ ['jɔm.dju] – to cover

iomti /'jom.thi/ ['jɔm.thi] – a covering, in a general sense (e.g., a covering of snow)

iomtoh /'jom.thoh/ ['jɔm.thox] – an (artificial) protective covering, housing

iomdam /'jom.tam/ ['jɔm.tam] – a blanket

Day 18:

This is something of a cheat, but combining Days 11 and 17:

iom-pom /'jom.phom/ ['jɔm.phɔm] – bedding (an abbreviation of iomdam(ial) dai pom(ial) “blankets and pillows”)

Day 19:

pegil /'phe.kil/ ['phe.gil] – a kind of end-blown wooden flute, similar to a recorder; a common musical instrument in Kiarlon.

Day 20:

akiotálahal /a.khjo.'tha.la.hal/ [a.kxjo.'tha.la.hal] – lit., “silver-fall,” a kind of large hammered dulcimer, traditionally played by female musicians, most famously those of the musical troupe at the Kiarloni imperial court in the capital of Tiolu.

akiotála – silver, lit. “bright metal,” composed of akio “bright” and tala “metal”

hal – fall (see Day 12)

Day 21:

badabáh /pa.ta.'pah/ [pa.da.'bax] – a drum; prototypically a small drum played by hand, somewhat like the West African djembe.

Day 22:

sisíla /si.'si.la/ - a legendary giant serpent, said to inhabit lakes and rivers; may or may not exist in reality.

(May be a derivation of a word sil “snake,” with the first syllable reduplicated as an intensifier; I’m not sure yet.)

Day 23:

ohundiu /'o.hun.tju/ – to read, the act of reading

Day 24:

lidzidiu /'li.tsi.tju/ ['li.dzi.dju] – to write, the act of writing

Day 25:

shuliéin /ʃu.'ljejnj/ – brush

(Or possibly /ɕu.'ljejnj/; I am not sure whether the sounds represented by <sh, ch, j> are best characterized as palato-alveolar /ʃ, tʃh, tʃ/ or alveolo-palatal /ɕ, tɕh, tɕ/.)

lidzidiumi shuliein
– writing brush (lit. “brush for writing”)

-mi /mi/ – allative case suffix: Tiolumi “to Tiolu”; Cholemmi “to Cholen’s house” (Cholen is the first name of the main character in my hypothetical story set in this conworld). Also used as a benefactive, or here, a purposive (“for X”); with an infinitive/verbal noun, this gives the meaning “for X-ing” or “in order to X.” (There may be some additional morphology involved to disambiguate these different uses; in the case of benefactive/malefactive use, I had an idea a long time ago for a verb suffix (or possibly a postposition) that when combined with the allative case, gave a benefactive meaning, and when combined with the ablative case, gave a malefactive meaning. At the time, I didn’t really know what I was doing, but I may still make use of the idea.)

Day 26:

ei /ej/ – happy, gleeful, excited

eiti /’ej.thi/ – happiness, glee, excitement

I do not have a word for Day 27 yet; I plan to continue the theme of emotions and/or mental states, but I have not yet come up with something I am satisfied with.

Participating in Lexember for the first time has been an interesting, if sometimes challenging, experience; my inspiration has been flagging periodically, and there are some topics that I do not feel ready to tackle just now. (For example, I have avoided posting any verbs of motion above; while I have some definite ideas about verbs of motion in Chusole, and verbal morphology in general, that topic is an ambitious one, and I do not feel prepared to nail down the details just yet.) While I will try to finish up the month, I will make no promises.

At any rate, thank you for your attention, and thanks to anyone who made it this far!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Jackk wrote: 28 Dec 2021 00:53 short extract taken from the 1919 sensation trevold Flaxen Hearts, a work in the nascent genre of social comedy popularised by the lovetales of Clarissa Bellamy and the adolescences of Dorotha Quistack, among others. The genre is characterised by plots with low stakes, an emphasis of personal friendships and enmities, and either rural or lower-class urban settings. This book hews closely to the tropes of the genre, and like many of its ilk it is a Long Peace period story; it was written (originally in Mozara as Querdos Llinoros) by Judeta Barracin after she had returned from her years in Arcabil.

…spectre of her absent husband, Pomona would never have been able to speak so knowledgeably on the subject of the ongoing congeries of Mendevan wars, about which Emilla had heard quite enough from her youngest brother that very morning.

The lamplighter had been and gxne round the juncture onto Zanca de Molinero by the time Pomona's cavalcade of cognoscences began to wind down and smaller conversations managed to sidle in unnoticed. Emilla arose from her increasingly-uncomfortable seat by the window, rearranged the fiddliest parts of her winged shoulder pieces (recently retailored in the armourcloth style by her darling Valeria, a recent repatriate from an expedition to Naples in search of ever-more 'disimpecciabile' fashions), and caught the exe of her sister-in-law Zoe, whose bearing suggested her interlocutor was at least passable.

"Emilla, I hope you tried the jaumetia, it was delightful—but I simply have to introduce you to Sidé Marquez, he's a friend of Uncle Angel recently up from…
You know, it's these excerpts from conbooks that make your conlang and conpeople seem real.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 27

Weddisch
anng
/aŋː/
1. (adj.) awkward, embarrassing, cringey, the feeling of social discomfort
2. (nn.) cringe (informal)
3. (interjection) ugh, oh no, awkward...

angemóed
/aŋɡəmøːd/
1. (nn.) awkwardness, embarrassment, the feeling of social discomfort

My German class and I used to always joke about how hard it was (or rather we felt) it was to translate certain ideas into German. In particular, we thought it was difficult to capture the concept of that uncomfortable awkwardness in social situations which is often now called "cringe." We would joke that Es gibt kein Konzept! for awkwardness. Anyway, this is why I decided to coin this term. Ultimately, it's derived from OE ange which has several meanings such as narrowness, tightness, anxiety, etc. I felt that it was semantically close enough to undergo a shift from anxiety to awkwardness and the tightness also reminded me of that tight feeling in your stomach you get from being in uncomfortable situations. I also really like how /aŋː/ sounds like the kind of sound I would make when an uncomfortable situation beings or won't stop, so it's also slightly onomatopoetic.

shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19 Also, in case I forget or don't get a chance to respond to it directly, I love the map and all of the dialectal information from your latest post in the Weddisch/Nortsääenglisch thread.
Thank you! I hope to post some more specific information on each dialect soon.
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19Fascinating! I wasn't aware of this story before now. I keep reading the name "Lord Halewijn" as "Lord Halloween", and the fact that he's a warlock who cuts off women's heads probably doesn't help.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I keep imagining something like the headless horseman for some reason.
shimobaatar wrote: 26 Dec 2021 14:19Out of curiosity, is /ʒaːk/ also how Weddish speakers would likely pronounce the French name "Jacques"?
Good question! I actually think they would pronounce it /ʒak/ with the short vowel as in French. However, I see that vowel tends to be lengthened when borrowed, so I'm sure /ʒaːk/ would also be likely.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 28 - Yélian

ayiga [ɐˈɕiːxɐ] - to satisfy; to fill
ayigats [ɐˈɕiːxɐt͡s] - satisfied
ayigasé [ɐˌɕixɐˈseː] - satisfaction
ayigal [ɐˈɕiːxɐl] - filling (of food)

Etymology: cross-derivation from the root *hyg, cognates include yigos "bowl", eyiga "to peel" and reyga "to become true, to fulfill". Originally, ayiga only meant "to fill", but got a broader meaning later.

Cipuyebai matay can ilvati 27; Denai pi tyaucreyai æ'cundes on'iapetan ùpa bariyn o'man, cut ciyipuyesandai ciyt fécunat ayigatsbai.
[kɨˌpuʃəˈbaɪ̯ ˈmaːtɐʃ kɐn ˈilʋɐti ˌgeːdɐˈpeɾtɐ | ˈdeːnaɪ̯ pɨ t͡ʃaʊ̯kˈɾeːʃaɪ̯ ɚˈkundəs ɔnɪ̯ɐˈpeːtɐn ˈʉpɐ ˈbaːɾa̯iːn ɔ̈ˈman, kʉt‿ɨɕɨˌpuːʃəˈsandaɪ̯ ka̯iːt ˈɸeːkʉnɐt ɐˈɕiːxɐt͡sbaɪ̯]
NEG-yet-have.1SG word for day-ENUM 27, plan-1SG that POT-CONT-do-1SG DEF.CONC=theme DEF.GEN=emotion-PL or state-PL DEF.GEN=mind, but NEG-PST-yet-find-1SG something with_DEM satisfied-COP.1SG
Glenn wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:22 I do not have a word for Day 27 yet; I plan to continue the theme of emotions and/or mental states, but I have not yet come up with something I am satisfied with.
(I had a different example sentence first, but this one just fit so good. I hope it's okay that I quote you here [xD] )
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

spanick wrote: 28 Dec 2021 01:45
My German class and I used to always joke about how hard it was (or rather we felt) it was to translate certain ideas into German. In particular, we thought it was difficult to capture the concept of that uncomfortable awkwardness in social situations which is often now called "cringe." We would joke that Es gibt kein Konzept! for awkwardness.
I believe the best translation of cringe into German is "zum Fremdschämen" (to be ashamed by proxy). But nowadays we just loaned the word from English. Especially the younger generation says "cringe" now.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 28

Hannaito (Entry 28):

wëine /wəine/ [ˈβ̞ʲɪ̈i̯.ne]
Noun:
1. lake
2. inland sea
3. lagoon
4. pond, pool, puddle
5. well, spring
6. reservoir, millpond, fishpond; an artificially created body of water
7. wetland, bog, swamp, marsh, fen, mire, quagmire, morass, peatland, moor
8. problem, peril, trouble, predicament; a difficult or tedious situation

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *wiyne "lake, pond, marsh".
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 28th - Lohdan
arun [ɑ'ɾũ:]
Lake
Etymology: worn-down form of aranun, which comes from ara ("sea") + -un (diminutive suffix). Literally means "small sea".
Example:
Na-dûkâ id gakar arun-íd.
[nɑ 'du:kɑ: id 'gɑkɑɾ ɑ'ɾũ: i:d]
1SG-dwell-SG.PRS INDF.SG house lake-by
I'm living in a house by the lake.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

28m Lexembr
manoscart /ˌma.noˈxart/ [ˌma.nʊˈxɑːt]
- manoscard, a style of medieval monastic chant most popular in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries and characterised by the simultaneous use of the two [major and minor] pentatonic scales;
- any of a range of fabrics which were a blend of two distinct fabrics, most commonly wool and linen;
- (more generally) hybrid, something of mixed composition, usually a combination of tools or technologies getting the benefits of each component

Caution: not used of animals or plants, for which the term mastinað "mongrel, crossbreed" is preferred.

Etymology: borrowed into early Middle Boral around the end of the twelfth century from the continent, and particularly from Burgund French art manoscard "music of Manosque". This referred to the musical tradition of this sort of chant among the religious communities of the eastern Luberon region, including the Sassenine monastery overlooking the town of Manosque.

The extension to fabric is seen first in the Italian languages in the Revitalist period, and spreads quickly along with the fashions themselves. From there its more general usage begins to be attested, but not consistently in Boral until the end of the seventeenth century.

Y refectoir vença manoscart a vigt morac eð ambrosc.
/i ˌre.fɛkˈtɔjr vɛnˈtsa ˌma.noˈxart a vajt moˈrak ɛθ amˈbrɔx/
[i ˌʀe.fɪkˈtɔ.jɐ vɪnˈdza ˌma.nʊˈxɑːt a vajt mʊˈʀak e‿ðɐmˈbʀɔx]
def cafe sell-imp hybrid at fare Morrack and Ambrosian
The lunch-house sold Morrack-Ambrosian fusion food.

text from a monastic chant in the manoscard mode first transcribed in the 1240s N by Stephanus of Golfhaun. It is a setting to music of the earlier poem Tanquam Ignis, which was based on the story of Pentecost. The chant is notable for containing some lyrics in the vernacular Middle Borlish of the time, as well as Borlish-influenced Latin. The sanctuary at Golfhaun is located on the island of Nestu, which is the largest landmass by far in the Labbath Sound, on whose coastline Damvath lies.

Tanquam ignis / Like fire
Illorum tu apparois / You appeared to them
Replevisque tepso / And filled them
Ut loquerentur / That they might speak

Ie novioribus / Of the late days
Maravilia in cælo / Wonders in the sky
In terra fienque signæ / And signs on the earth will be made
Tanquam ignis / Like fire
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

”Iyionaku” wrote:(I had a different example sentence first, but this one just fit so good. I hope it's okay that I quote you here [xD] )
No problem; happy to help. [;)]

Day 27:

sholoiu /'ʃo.lo.ju/ – still water; metaphorically, inner peace, serenity

sholo /’ʃo.lo/ – as an adjective, motionless, still, quiet; as a noun, stillness, quiet

iu /ju/ - water

I have my wife to thank for this one; we do not often discuss the topic of conlanging, but I shared my work for Lexember with her, and her suggestion inspired this entry. [:)]

Day 28:

kirlíndaiu /khil.'lin.ta.ju/ [khir'lin.ta.ju] – flowing/running water; metaphorically, action, activity, drive (from kirlindai iu)

kirlíndiu /khil.'lin.tju/ [khir'lin.tju] – to flow

-dai /tai/ - present participle suffix

The achievement of sholoiu, or inner peace, is one of the goals of Kiarloni ascetic and meditative practices, but many Kiarloni thinkers would say that both sholoiu and kirlindaiu are needed: both the stillness of the pool, and the action of the running water that moves the world, that changes the river’s course and eats away the stone.

The heart of Kiarlon is the Shamian(“Great Valley”), a plain crossed by major rivers, and the metaphors of Water and the River are significant symbols in some currents of Kiarloni philosophy and religion.

Other water-related words:

liiu /'li.ju/ – body of water, lake, pond

daliiu 'ta.li.ju/ – sea (da /ta/ – big, vast, expansive)
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Day 23: *√kwh 'line, mark, border, boundary, demarcation, abutment, block'
> *bawkwǫh 'territory, governorate'
> *bokweh 'I mass-produce'
> *kawkwah 'substance or tool used for writing'
> *okwąh 'I claim; I conquer'
> *okweh 'I mark'
> *yokweh 'I stake my claim on land, I engage in battle to hold territory'

Day 24: *√ḅwn 'point source of light, star, spark, dot, ember'
> *Awḅwon 'Algol, Beta Persei'
> *ḅawąn 'dying fire, ember, coal'
> *ḅawno 'flash'
> *boḅwon 'shooting star, meteor, bolide'
> *kawḅawąn 'constellation, asterism'
> *ḅowon 'star'

Day 25: *√slh 'wave, flutter, flag, carried by the wind, motion in the breeze, sway'
> *kawsalah 'flag, banner, standard'
> *ossoleh 'I sway, I wave, I undulate'
> *salląh 'dance, rhythmic motion'
> *soloh 'wind, breeze, air current'

Day 26: *√wmn 'persist, remain, persevere, weather (some difficulty), not give up, stick-to-itiveness'
> *kawman 'drive, ambition, motivation'
> *owmąn 'I invigorate, I boost, I encourage, I motivate, I provide moral support'
> *owmen 'I keep on'
> *Wamman 'Sirius'
> *yowmen 'I face (an opponent, a challenge, a difficulty), I meet (in battle, in competition)'

Day 27: *√tnt 'reason, cause, origin, purpose, benefit, incentive, command, basis'
> *otnąt 'I establish'
> *tonet 'reason, justification'
> *tonnet 'I cause, I make, I found'
> *yotnet 'I investigate, I discover, I look into, I ascertain, I find the cause (of)'

Day 28: *√rkw 'spread, make known, promulgate, encourage, colonize, send out, distribute'
> *borkaw 'self-talk, inner monologue, mind's eye, consciousness'
> *erkǫw 'fame, reputation'
> *orkew 'I spread the word, I make known, I propagandize'
> *rokow 'lizard sp.'
> *rǫkkǫw 'mystic, ascetic, shaman, holy man'
> *yerkǫw 'news, update(s)'
> *yorkew 'I update, I send word'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 28

Weddisch
vórd (pl. vórde)
/vœɾd/
1. firth, fjord

Borrowing from Old Norse fjǫrðr. Homophonous with wórd “worth” and nearly homophonous with vóerd “fourth.”
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 29 - Yélian

yorvalbica - to interpret, paraphrase, construe (things that have been seen or read)
Etymology: yor "between" + vala "to see" + bica "to speak"

yorîybica - to interpret, paraphrase, construe (things that have been heard)
Etymology: yor "between" + rîya "to hear" + bica "to speak"

»Dasas æ'verde pès ilvató can tyabocʻi un'ilvatalena sao o'vinquasé.« Pe Mark Twain yivabicet fecun vat mæster? Acat yorvalbicavat.
[ˈdaːsɐʃ əˈʋeɾdə pɛs ˌilvɐˈtoː kɐn t͡ʃɐˈboːkʔi ʉnˈilvɐtɐˌleːnɐ saʊ̯ ɔ̈ˌʋiŋkɐˈseː | pə maɾk tvɛɪ̯n ɕɨʋɐˈbiːkət ˈɸeːkʉn vɐt ˈmœ:stəd̟↗︎ ˈaːkɐt ʃɔ̈ɾvɐlˈbiːkɐʋɐt]
"give-JUS.2SG DEF.CONC=chance to day-COL for POT-become-3PL DEF.INAN=day-beautiful.SUP 2SG.POSS DEF.GEN=life" | what PROP PROP PST-VOL-say-3SG with DEM quote | kindly interpret-JUS.2PL
'Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful day of your life.' What did Mark Twain mean with this quote? Please construe.

Reo gima yibicet pès télefon pi re vutret, re rîyatsbai »cet faldu o'grènd«, otéi sat diyorîybicvut?
[ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈgiːmɐ ɕɨˈbiːkə‿pɛs ˈteːləɸɔ̈n pi ɾe ˈvutɾət, re ˈɾiːʃɐt͡sbaɪ̯ "kət ˈɸaldʉ ɔ̈ˈgɾɛnd, ɔ̈ˈtɛɪ̯ sɐ‿dɨʃɔ̈ɾɨʃˈbikvʉt↗︎]
1SG.POSS girlfriend PST-say-3SG towards telephone that 1SG INT, 1SG EVID.AUD-COP.1SG "like rain DEF.GEN=slime", how 2SG.OBL COND-interpret-COND.INV.3SG.INAN
My girlfriend said on the telephone that I was "like a rain of slime", how would you interpret that?
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 29

Hannaito (Entry 29):

tauvou /taubou/ [ˈtau̯.ʋou̯]
Noun:
1. bay, cove
2. gulf, bight
3. inlet, fjord, firth, estuary, sound
4. harbor/harbour
5. sanctuary, safe haven, oasis
6. courtyard
7. seaside, beach, coast

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *tolgôl "sea, ocean".

züppüq /dʉʔpʉʔ/ [ˈd͡zɨᵝp̚.pɯᵝʔ]
Noun:
1. sea, ocean
2. salt water
3. open ocean
4. swell, wave, billow, surge
5. a large amount or collection (usually of something intangible or difficult to count one-by-one)
6. environment, biome, landscape, area
7. field, subject, area, specialty

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *jûqbût "horizon, distance, expanse".
(she)
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 29th - Lohdan
kutron [ku'tɾõ:]
Cave
Etymology: from Proto-Lohdan *kyutteone ("big hole"). Cf. Lohdan kûd ("hole"), from Proto-Lohdan *kyut ("hole").
Example:
Na-kûrô dîrir anin kutronin Halárad.
[nɑ 'ku:ɾo: 'di:ɾiɾ ɑ'nĩ: kutɾo'nĩ: Rɑ'lɑ:ɾɑd]
1SG-want-SG.AOR see-INF DEF-PL cave-PL Halárad
I want to see the caves of Halárad.

The caves of Halárad are a cave system on the bottom of one of the mountains that encircle the city of Halárad. They are a marvel to behold, because into their walls are carved many texts in what seems to be a language even older than Proto-Lohdan, and also many images. Almost all of the text is currently undeciphered, much thanks to the fact that the writing system which was used is very different from the one used in Lohdan and the other modern languages of Tûdav. However, if the text is, as the images suggest, a very old version of the Drukal (the holy book of the Lohtûrin's religion), the meaning of a few of the glyphs can be guessed.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

29m Lexembr
a fin /a fɪn/ [ɐˈfɪn]
- so that, in order to, with the intent or purpose of (something specified)

fin a /fɪn a/ [fɪˈna]
- until, up to, ending at the time or place of (something specified)

Both these prepositions may take an infinitive or a subjunctive clause, usually dependent on whether the subject is the same as in the main clause. The first may also interpose the complement particle ig /aj/ before a subjunctive clause, while the second can also be used with nouns.

A fin ig tu caif y livr teyon rovað, jo calmau ag varous fin all'augtanç.
/a fɪn aj ti kef i ˈli.vr̩ tiˈjɔn roˈvaθ | ʒo kalˈmo ɛj vaˈruz fɪn ˌa.lojˈtants/
[ɐˈfɪn aj ti kef i ˈli.vɐ t(j)ɔŋ ʀʊˈvah | ʒo kɐwˈmo ɛj vɐˈʀuz fɪˌna.lʊjˈtans]
to end comp 2s get-2s.sbj def book 2s.dem ask.for-ptcp.pst | 1s not.move-pst at.def shop end at.def=delivery
So you'd get the book you wanted, I stayed at the shop until it arrived.

excerpt in translation to Borlish from 1795 seminal work Durgh 'nen Shorzen Shouer (Through a Black Mirror), written originally in Saxon (and translated into Borlish in 1802 as Par un Argent Neir) by Elsebeth Shneider and kickstarting the early parachthon craze for voidtale.

Adagle lou scoutau noc cascun e follau afaç, e com effeit y tel metal rescau a biasc, y dou mitað paubeur faint ny mur eð un roum fasc revelant la doutr.
Adelaide ignored them all and stepped forward, and in reaction the metal slab split diagonally, the two halves sliding away and revealing a dark space beyond.

Tandic Herret eð y jammel se sgardaurn confus, l'entrau tras sougl, y bojay leyant haut por ig illuminar situað doutr y port cullig.
As Harriet and the twins shared looks of confusion, she stepped inside, lifting up the candle to illuminate what lay beyond the strange door.

Soulor sta Adagle pront comprendent. "No spou," murmurau i, ne l'entarn veint.
Then Adelaide promptly understood. "Surely not," she muttered, as she saw the interior.

L'intermane tout metal ligs: gendr colloir voutað, de form trelamner, con—vagscrit parcanç—sur y mur. Ny vesteul polið lontanessem la stan—
It was all smooth metal: a sort of vaulted corridor, triangular in shape, with—perhaps nameplates—on the walls. Further down the polished vestibule were—

"No spou," redis i partenendessem, dec i vis ig la stant—tras y grant hal, posc y ci tablaur stragn e scaðr vogt, la sta un fenestr.
"Surely not," she said again more pointedly, as she saw what was there—across the large hall, past the odd tables and glass frames, there was a window.

Un fenestr titan ant un vogt fosc doutr. Sauf ig vertaðer i no sta fosc, noc enter.
An enormous window with dark, empty space beyond it. Except it wasn't dark, not quite.

Le relusern tant mil a stel.
It was lit by thousands of stars.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 28

Weddisch

schref (pl. schrev)
/ʒɾɛf/
1. cave

lew (pl. leun)
/lɛu/
1. rounded, solitary hill
2. cairn

seylraad (pl. seylraade)
/zɛɪlɾaːd/
1. ocean current

Literally means “sail-road” and is a familiar kenning found in Beowulf (1429 b). The Weddisch are known for their maritime occupations and love of singing and sorry telling and this is given as the reason that this circumlocution has survived into modern usage. Regardless, that this kenning has survived into modern times from poetic language while simultaneously taking on a semantically more narrow and technical meaning is odd. This word also specifically only refers to ocean currents. Interestingly, the Weddisch have two other common words for current: stream “river current” and vlouinng “flow, current.” Stream is another technical term whereas vlouing is used more generally and is also used to describe electric current.
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Lexember 30th - Lohdan
lannî ['lɑ̃:ni:]
Nightmare
Etymology: lan ("evil") + lonî ("dream"), literally meaning "evil dream"
Example:
Na-dâkerâ id lannî rád înil.
[nɑ dɑ:kœ'ɾɑ: id 'lɑ̃:ni: ɾɑ:d 'i:nil]
1SG-have-SG.PST INDF.SG nightmare DET.PROX night
I had a nightmare tonight.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 30

Hannaito (Entry 30):

jënmüü /dənmʉʉ/ [ˈd͡ʑɪ̈̃m.mɯᵝː]
Noun:
1. mountain, hill, mount
2. mountains, mountain range, mountain chain
3. highland(s), upland(s)
4. mesa, butte, plateau
5. crest, ridge, cliff
6. rock, boulder, outcrop, outcropping, crag
7. glacier, iceberg
8. mound, burial mound, tumulus, grave, gravesite, burial, tomb, mausoleum, crypt, monument
9. wall, fortress, castle
10. tower, spire, steeple, beacon, lighthouse
11. heap, pile, stack, haystack
12. a load (of), a bunch (of), a lot (of), a ton (of)
13. tuft, plume, crest
14. top, cap, lid, crown, head, roof
15. point, tip, end
16. noon, midday
17. peak, summit, acme, zenith, apogee, pinnacle
18. culmination, climax, crescendo, conclusion, capstone, payoff, dénouement
19. eminence, prominence, importance, superiority, fame, glory, talent, prestige
20. exaltation, apotheosis, deification, idolization
21. mine, mining, excavation

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *gimmuw "mountain, mound, peak".

bei /bei/ [ˈbei̯]
Noun:
1. ground, surface of the earth, land, terrain
2. country, state, nation, territory
3. area, region, locality
4. place, location, spot, site
5. scene, situation
6. space, room, area
7. room, chamber
8. home, address
9. plot, field, estate, grounds, property
10. square, plaza, market, marketplace
11. battlefield, arena
12. floor
13. bottom (of a box or barrel)
14. stage, platform
15. basis, foundation, establishment
16. fund(s), funding, stipend, grant
17. background, context, framework
18. instrumental music
19. reason, justification, motive, motivation
20. position, status
21. seat, post, position
22. pose, posture, position, arrangement
23. state, condition, mode, emotion, feeling
24. opinion

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *beli "ground, place".
Usage notes
Etymologically related to the suffix -be, attached to verbs to form nouns of place like mërappe "workshop, forge" (see Entry 6), bauve "laundry room, washhouse" (see Entry 8), tauhinbe "bathhouse, bathroom" (see Entry 8), and zündoppe "desk, office, library" (see Entry 22).

I had other plans, originally, but it seems like I only have the time and energy this week to come up with nouns referring to locations. Oh well!
(she)