Omzinesý's latest IE lang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Omzinesý's latest IE lang

Post by Omzinesý »

I don't want to develop the lang for too many messages in mu Scrap Thread. It's messy enough.

Genealogy
It forms its own small branch and shares a messy group of shared innovations with other branches.
It has been affected by "Altaic" languages and its syntax and nominal morphology resemble them (Hungarian especially) much more than typical IE.

Name
Still to appear, but I think its endonym is something like "People's language", like all languages.

Location and background
The language is positioned somewhere in the Balkans, I think, in modern day central Romania.
The language has arrived to its present location at the same time as Hungarian appeared, that is relatively late. Apparently they were a similar riding people that brought their language with them. Before that it was spoken in somewhere in present-day Russia.

The project is thus "How to make IE a Hungarian lang". I hope it doesn't go too extreme.
Last edited by Omzinesý on 23 Jan 2022 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Omzinesý's latest IE lang - Phonology

Post by Omzinesý »

Phoneme inventories
p t c͡ç k <p t kj k>
b d g <b d g>
t͡s t͡ɕ <c cj>
d͡z d͡ʑ <g/gj>
f s ɕ h <f s sj h>
v z ʑ <v z zj>
m n ɲ ŋ <m n nj gn>
r l ʎ j <r l lj j>

i u <i u>
e o <e o>
ɛ ɔ <ae/æ ao>
ä <a>

Length
Consonants don't have length distinctions. Vowels of the stressed syllable can be
1) short, neutral/high tone
2) long, rising tone
3) long, lowering tone

They are written without diacritic <a>, with an acute <á>, and with a grave <à>, respectively.

Unstressed vowels don't have contrastive length or tone.

Stress
Stress of native words always falls on the first syllable of the root. The most common unstressed prefix is reduplication of Past Tense.
Last edited by Omzinesý on 23 Jan 2022 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Omzinesý's latest IE lang

Post by Omzinesý »

Developments of consonants from PIE

Early changes defining the branch

1) All "palatal velars", "plain velars", and "labialized velars" are merged to just velars.
I have been trying both Satem and Cnetum in this lang. It's still uncertain what I will do in the end. But this is the current way.

2) PIE "voiced unaspirated" and "voiced aspirated" stops were merged, as in Slavic and Celtic(?).

3) PIE "Voiceless" stops became affricates (probably through aspirates), as in Germanic and Armenian.

4) The "voiced" stops from 2) were devoiced.

That leads to a simple system:
p͡f t͡s k͡x
p t k

Palatalization of velars

5) Velars are palatalized before front vowels *i:, *i, *e:, *e, and *j. That resembles Samskrit.

Because *j is lost after them and because *e: and *e: merger with *a: and *a, respectively, the palatalization becomes phonemic. Note that velars appear only after back-vowels.

That leads to:
p͡f t͡s c͡͡ç k͡x
p t c k

6) Velars are lenited to /h/. That change is similar to that of Hungarian.

7) Then, /c/ is reanalysed to /k/, though its phonemic realizations do not change very much. /c͡͡ç/ stays palatal and POA stars to be their main distinguishing feature.

Other changes
8) p͡f is lenited to /f/.

Stops thus yield the following phonemes:
p t t͡s c͡͡ç k
f h

Thisfar, other PIE consonants have stayed very stable (written with *).

p t t͡s c͡͡ç k
f *s h
*m *n
*l *r
*j *w

Obstruents develop a voicing contrast

9) Verner's law
Fricatives that do not follow a stressed syllable are voiced. It also applies to /ts/ which derives from a PIE "voiceless stop" yielding [z]. After the stress moves to the first syllable, they become phonemic.
I think Verner's law is not very "natural" here because it was an areal feature in Northern Europe but, if Germanic could innovate it, why couldn't this language, too.

10) nasal + stop => voiced stop

p t t͡s c͡͡ç k
b d ɟ(?) g
f s h
v z ɦ*
m n
l r
j w

*ɦ later merges with h

There is no sound change leading to voiced word-initial obstruents. They appear sporadically in native words and enter the language through loans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vowels

I'm starting from the "classical" reconstruction of IE vowels:
*Vu *u *Vi *i
*e: *e *o: *o
*a: *a
- Word-initial laryngeal, however, realizes as a vowel that is /a/ in this language.

- I mark *Vu and *Vi because, in this language, all long vowels and diphthongs ending in *u yield u and all ending in *i yield /i/, in the end.

Merger of non-closed vowels
1) *o: and *a: merger as well as *o and *a, yielding a: and a. That is shared with many branches (and maybe was the state of PIE as well).
2) Later, after palatalization 5) above, *e: and *e also merger with a: and a, yielding a: and a. That is what happened in Indo-Iranian.

Closed vowels
3) All diphthongs ending in *i are monophtongized to /i:/, and similarly, all diphthongs ending in *u are monopthogized to /u:/.
4) Short *i and *u are lowered to mid-closed /e/ and /o/, respectively.
5) Simultaneously, Long closed vowels lose their length contrast and are reanalysed as /i/ and /u/.

*i:, *ai => i
*u:, *au: => u
*i => e
*u => o

Rising and umlaut of a:

6) a: becomes either /ɛ:/ or /ɔ:/, depending on backness/frontness of the preceding vowels.
7) Later the length of /ɛ:/ and /ɔ:/ is also lost, yielding /ɛ/ and /ɔ/, respectively.

The system of vowel qualities is, thus, the basic V7 system.

i u
e o
ɛ ɔ
ä

New long vowels and tones
Development of long vowels with contrastive tones is a newish phenomenon and appeared when the language was already spoken in the Balkans, probably due to Slavic influence.

I am not sure what are all the environments where tones appear, but the tonogenesis is caused by a coda consonant that is deleted itself. If it is voiced, it produces a lowering tone. If it is voiceless, it produces a rising tone. It also causes compensatory lengthening and the preceding vowel has a longer duration than other vowels. My current idea is that tonogenesis appears only in stressed syllables. (This is the pasta ~ pâté thing that yielded long vowels <â> in the history of French.)

One position where the consonant deletion happens is before word-final syllabic liquid.
*pa'ter => fazr => fàr 'father' [fä:r˥˩]
*'brater => prasr => prár 'brother' [prä:r˩˥]
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Verb morphology
Edit: This is the first scratch. The forms will probably not change too much, but palatalization and other processes blurring the morpheme boundaries will appear later.
In the proto-language, verbs resemble those of Samskrit or Classical Greek.
They had the six tense-aspects: present, imperfect, aorist, perfect, and pluperfect. They had the four moods: indicative, conjunctive, optative, and imperative. Aorist, imperfect, and pluperfect were marked by an "augment" prefix a-. Perfect and pluperfect were marked by reduplication. All moods as well as the aorist had their own suffixes that appeared right to person agreement.

The modern language has lost the all tense-aspects but present, perfect, and pluperfect. Some irregular aorist forms actually appear, but they are irregular and often lexicalized.

The modern language (I should really have a name for it.) has become a prototypical tense language.
What used to be the IE present tense-aspect, is a normal present tense. I call it Present.
What used to be the IE perfect tense-aspect, has become a simple past. I call it Past.
What used to be the IE pluperfect tense-aspect, has not changed its meaning too much, but it's easier to analyse it as a tense in a tense paradigm. I call it Pluperfect.
The language also gains a new Future tense, but I discuss it later.

Morphology
Tense prefixes
Present is zero-marked.
Past is formed with reduplication like the IE perfect. The reduplicated "prefix" is unstressed.

The first consonant of the stem + a

The IE pluperfect was formed with an "augment" and a reduplication.
Later metathesis happened and the augment vowel and the reduplication consonant changed places. The augment and the reduplication vowel formed a long /a:/ that later became /ɔ/.

Code: Select all

vark 	'does' 
vavark	'did/has done' 
vaovark 'had done' 
Mood (+future) suffixes

The new future tense is derived from the IE optative. Realis and irrealis conditional are its past forms (future in the past). Its suffix is -i for verbs that used to be thematic (thematic -e + optative -i => ai => i). The athematic suffix should be -e, but I'm not sure if that distinction is preserved.

varki 'will do' 
vavarki 'would do' 
vaovarki 'would have done' 

Subjunctive marker is -ae from the IE conjunctive.
Present Subjunctive mostly appears in subordinate clauses, expressing what one wishes, says, thinks ... but which does not always happen.
Subjunctive past expresses inference.
Subjunctive pluperfect espresses teported speech.

varkaet 'that he does'
vavarkaet 'he seems to have done' 
vaovarkaet 'he did (I was told)'
Subject agreement
As in most IE langs, verbs agree their subject.
The endings are

Sg1
1) -n (In vocalic stems and after liquids /l/ and /r/.
2) Mutation: last plosive => corresponding nasal (in stems ending in a plosive).
3) -an (other stems)

Sg2
1) -s (stems ending in a vowel, stems ending in one non-sibilant consonant)
2) -as (stems ending in two consonants, stems ending in a sibilant)

sg3
1) bare stem

pl1
1) -men

pl2
1) -ten (after vowels and voiceless consonants)
2) -den (after voiced consonants)

pl3
1) -an (in consonant stems)
2) - ??

Ind Fut Subj 
Sg1 vargn varkin varkaen 
Sg2 varkas varkis varkaes 
Sg3 vark varki varkaet 
Pl1 varkmen ? ? 
Pl2 varkten ? ? 
Pl3 varkan ? ? 
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Nouns

While verbs are relatively classical, nouns preserve very little from IE inflection.

Number
There are two numbers: singular and plural.
Singular is unmarked and usually ends in a consonant. That is IE thematic vowels are lost.
The plural marker is -ae. It is the regular result of all 1) o-declension and athematic declension -e:s, 2) a-declension -a:s, and 3) neuter -a: .

Case
Only two IE cases are preserved. They are nominative and accusative.

The IE accusative marker -m experienced a very similar process as sg1 -mi.
1) In stems ending in a plosive, it nasalizes the plosive.
2) Stems ending in a vowel or liguid, /l/ or /r/, the suffix -n is added.
3) Other stems do not change and are like the nominative.

New cases
The lang resembles Hungarian in that it has gained a paradigm of new cases.
Morphosyntactically they might be rather classified as enclitics, because adjectives or other modifiers don't agree with their head for those cases.
Most of them are also compositional. Added to a nominative (which is the remnant of all cases with vocalic endings, including the IE locative), they express location, and added to an accusative, they express direction.

location/goal		source		
possession	-an (<IE *an)		-af (< IE *apo) 			
inside	
on the surface
near 		-ad (< EI *anti)

towards		-han (< IE *kwom)

The three IE genders are preserved. They don't affect inflection of nouns. But they appear in articles (and adjectives?).

INDEFINITE
M. na
F nae
N. nao
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

IE root *da:-ya means both 'give' and 'say'

daoja 'gives, says'