Papuanic Conlang(s)?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
JANKO GORENC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Papuanic Conlang(s)?

Post by JANKO GORENC »

I wonder if it is possible to create conlang(s) based on the Papuan languages spoken in Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, the Indonesian West Irian (Irian Jaya) and other smaller islands. I would have a lot of ideas about it.
If there is a response to my post, I'll continue with the topic. Otherwise, I'll remove this post.
Thank you!
29.2.2024 I have successfully collected numbers from over 76,552 ways (languages both: natlangs and also conlangs).
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Re: Papuanic Conlang(s)?

Post by Flavia »

Of course it is possible!
I haven't heard of any a posteriori Papuan conlangs, but there are many a priori Papuan-inspired conlangs, for example this.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

I made one with /p t k u i a/. This was more of a joke than anything, but I ended up working on it for a while. Because of this, I became obsessed with looking up Papuan languages, specifically, Lake Plains. (I love the fact that some of their languages are regionally called Bird's Head and Bird's Tail.)
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
anonymous123
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by anonymous123 »

I have a language of the North Halmahera family (not in Papua proper, but a Papuan family) which I have been in the intermittent process of revamping and working on sound changes. It's called Yotoga, and it is spoken on the northeastern coast of Sulawesi and was influenced by Austronesian languages like Indonesian and the Minahasan languages.

The Papuan families struggle with poor documentation but NH is a pretty solid family. It's 2022 already, I should really get to working on it! Maybe I'll make a thread about it at some point.

EDIT: if you wanna see what i have it's here
ngąxayo peřwa a nałatą zehą, Irkąlą a tinąk a pehenątą zehą; nał a zehą, xąnituhąpąkałąpą he xąhatunąhąx; dą a zehą, xąnihąhaningnumąnwąpąnawe; nał a zehą, tan tukuhoyohoyopąnawe henąngahenąngatą a pwązi...
Zythros Jubi
sinic
sinic

Post by Zythros Jubi »

Well, there is one named Abakwi.
Lostlang plans: Oghur Turkic, Gallaecian Celtic, Palaeo-Balkanic
JANKO GORENC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by JANKO GORENC »

DV82LECM wrote: 27 Jan 2022 13:01 I made one with /p t k u i a/. This was more of a joke than anything, but I ended up working on it for a while. Because of this, I became obsessed with looking up Papuan languages, specifically, Lake Plains. (I love the fact that some of their languages are regionally called Bird's Head and Bird's Tail.)
I am glad that you are interested in Papuan languages. [:)]
Bird’s Head and Bird’s Tail languages are named because of the location where they are spoken. If you take a close look at the entire island on a map that encompasses the western part of Papua New Guinea and Eastern Papua (irian Jaya), you will notice in bird shapes.
Last edited by JANKO GORENC on 30 Jan 2022 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
29.2.2024 I have successfully collected numbers from over 76,552 ways (languages both: natlangs and also conlangs).
JANKO GORENC
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by JANKO GORENC »

anonymous123 wrote: 27 Jan 2022 21:45 I have a language of the North Halmahera family (not in Papua proper, but a Papuan family) which I have been in the intermittent process of revamping and working on sound changes. It's called Yotoga, and it is spoken on the northeastern coast of Sulawesi and was influenced by Austronesian languages like Indonesian and the Minahasan languages.

The Papuan families struggle with poor documentation but NH is a pretty solid family. It's 2022 already, I should really get to working on it! Maybe I'll make a thread about it at some point.

EDIT: if you wanna see what i have it's here
You say your language is called Yotoga, which you posted on CWS.
I visit those sites many times. I wish you further successful development with the Yotoga language,