Making a creole! (wasabiiiii?)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Auto_9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Making a creole! (wasabiiiii?)

Post by Auto_9 »

Hello,
I read about Wasabi on David Peterson's webpage, and want to make an internet version of the creole. I posted this on r/conlangs and thought I'd cross-post here. Come over to Reddit to find the original post with more information, and have discussion if you want.

As for me, currently I have many conlang sketches, but only one I am seriously working on (besides this one). I have read many threads on this board as a help in my own conlang but I have never posted before. Oje!

Original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/conlangs/comme ... &context=3

I am looking for volunteers to make a pidgin/creole conlang.

Ideally some of those volunteers would be L1 in a different language, and the volunteers would be willing to memorize ~400 words to start with, which would be auto-generated. I have a phonology and wordlist and everything. I am inspired by Wasabi from Dr. Peterson's class, and Viossa as well.

Communication would happen on a particular discord/listhost/subreddit created for the purpose, around a fixed, pre-determined theme (to ensure discussion). Other topics are obviously allowed as people acclimate.

The words would be the same set of words Peterson used for his class. The experiment would be similar to what he came up with in the conclusion of the Wasabi experiment, described below (see the Wasabi page for more).

I am an L1 English speaker. If you are L1 English too, you can still volunteer. I am also L1~ish in an English-based creole, though English is my main language.

Wordlist
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Making a creole! (wasabiiiii?)

Post by Khemehekis »

Abstract
Ball thuns [θuns]
Bed ur [ur]
Book läf [lɐf]
Cup, glass, jar ig [ig]
Door, gate tyand [tjand]
House bë [bə]
Machine sheist [ʃeist]
Music byim [bjim]
Place afth [afθ]
Plate, bowl dwu [dwu]
Reason, purpose le [le]
Room wul [wul]
Sex (not gender) de [de]
Thing ser [ser]
Wave josh [dʒoʃ]
Why is this category called "Abstract"?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Auto_9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Auto_9 »

The names aren't that important, but it was taken from David Peterson's attempt and I see it as a challenge to use those particular words. And they're already categorized. The categorization is a bit funky, tbh, with adjectives appearing in more than one place, and natural events appearing in different groups as well.
Auto_9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Auto_9 »

I also have changed about 1/4 - 1/3 of the words since I posted initially, but of course the list is up to date since it is a link to the worksheet.

The goal is to use those words and only those words to communicate. The hope is a new grammar will emerge. You can of course coin new words from those ones, like via compounding, or they can acquire new meaning with usage.