Rïvśɠaàɫ Pòòzbirh

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Rïvśɠaàɫ Pòòzbirh

Post by Shemtov »

Rïvśɠaàɫ Pòòzbirh /ðɨʋʃ.qâ:ɬ pʰù:t͡s.piʐ/ is a Poozbirhic language, spoken by the c. 6,500 people of the Rïvśɠaàɫ tribe in the Interior Desert on the continent where Þāpha Di-B'ār'i is spoken. Poozbirhic is unrelated to Þāpha Di-B'ār'i , the latter being a Thaphaian language. Other Poozbirhic languages (or "Dialects" as Thapaian speakers refer to them as) are spoken in the Desert, and in area of and in the Mountains of Metal, though the SE of said mountains is a Thapaian exclave.

Phonology/Romanazation:
/p pʰ t̪ t̪ʰ t̪' t͡s t͡sʰ t͡s' ʈ͡ʂ ʈ͡ʂʰ ʈ͡ʂ' t͡ʃ t͡ʃʰ t͡ʃ' c cʰ k kʰ kʷ kʷʰ q qʰ ʔ/ <b p d t t' z c c' zh ch ch' ź ć j gy ky g k gw kw ɠ q '>
/m n̪ ɳ ɲ ŋ/ <m n nh ñ ŋ>
/s ɬ ʂ ʃ x/ <s ɫ sh ś x>
/l ɭ/ <l lh>
/ʋ ð ʐ j w w̃ ɣ/ <v r rh y w ŋw ğ/†

/i e ø ɨ ɵ o a/ <i e ö ï u o a>
/i: e: y: ɨ: ʉ: u: a:/ <ii ee öö ïï uu oo aa>

/˧ ˩ ˧˩/ <V V̀ VV̀>
The contour tone can only occur on long vowels.

†The Voiced fricatives are treated as approximants, since they result from fortition of older */ð̞ ɻ ɰ/

Phonotactics:
(C)V(C)(C)

Aspirated stops cannot occur in the coda. Permitted coda clusters are Nasal+Homorganic, fricative+stop/affricate, and approximate+stop/affricate/fricative. In the latter kind of cluster, /ð ʐ ɣ/ have the allophones [ɹ ɻ ɰ]. Clusters cannot occur after a long vowel, and are rare after a low tone vowel.
Last edited by Shemtov on 01 Sep 2022 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Rïvśɠaàɫ Pòòzbirh

Post by Shemtov »

Note that since the language is strongly polysythetic, with the main influences being Uto-Aztecan (especially Hopi and Nahuatl), Athabaskan, and Siouan, I am starting with verbal morphology first, even though I normally present nominal morphology in most of my languages.

Verbs have two stems: The Past Stem and the Non-Past stem, the latter of which is derived from the former.
The exact method of derivation depends on the verb in question. Some of the most common ways include:
"Lenition" of the first consonant, following the following pattern:
/p>pʰ>ʋ/
/t̪'>t̪>tʰ>s>ð/
t͡s'>t͡s>t͡sʰ>s>ð/
/ʈ͡ʂ'>ʈ͡ʂ>ʈ͡ʂʰ>ʂ>ʐ
/ t͡ʃ'>t͡ʃ>t͡ʃʰ>ʃ>j/
/c>cʰ>ʃ>j/
/k>kʰ>x>ɣ/
/kʷ>kʷʰ>x>w
/q>qʰ /

Note that this means an initial /x/ may "lenite" to /ɣ/ or /w/, depending on diachronics.

Initial dorsals "backing" as so:
/q qʰ>k kʰ/
/k kʰ ŋ x ɣ>c cʰ ɲ ʃ j/
/kʷ kʷʰ w̃>p pʰ ʋ/
/c cʰ>t͡ʃ t͡ʃʰ/

Lengthining of final short vowel

Final long vowel becoming low or falling tone

Final consonant having /a/ or /ɨ/ inserted after, with optional "lenition"

/w/ or /j/ inserted before eligible final consonant

Any combination of above.

Examples:
Tèèlis>Sèèlirï "eat"

Gyoosmöd>Źoosmöyd "To shout"

Möȍsa>Möȍsàà "To drink"

Qaɫgwï>Xaɫgwïȉ "To kill"

Sometimes full suppletion takes place:
Zhuùxd>Ñarhdpȍȍ "To speak"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Verbs are templitic, Following the following order:
SUBJECT-OBJECT-(DIRECTIONAL)-ROOT-ASPECT-MOOD-EVIDENTIAL
This post will focus on the plain indicative past and present, with visual evidentiality, which has the suffix -(u)raà.

The Subject and Object markers distinguish for person, number, and, in third Person, noun class. The noun classes are Male Human, Female Human, Animate Non-Human, Edible Inanimates, Tool Inanimates and General Inanimates. The Inanimate classes do not mark plurality.

Subject Markers:
1P sing: Nï
1P PLR: Naam
2p Sing: Dï
2p Plr: Daam
3P masc sing: Kwu
3p Masc plr: Kwoom
Fem sing: Xu
Fem plr: Xuum
ANIM sing: ʛa
Anim plur: ʛaàm
Edible: Veè
Tool: Woò
Inanim: Loò

Object markers:
1P sing: Niish
1P PLR: Naynh
2p Sing: Diish
2p Plr: Daynh
3P masc sing: Kwözh
3p Masc plr: Kwöynh
Fem sing: Xözh
Fem plr: Xöynh
ANIM sing: ʛesh
Anim plur: ʛaynh
Edible: Veysh
Tool: Wöözh
Inanim: Löysh

Thus:
Nïveyshtèèlisuraà
"I ate the food"

Xuɠeshqaɫgwïraà
"She killed it"

Kwuźoosmöyduraà
"He is shouting"

ʛaamlöyshmöȍsààraà
"They (animals) are drinking an undrinkable liquid"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Nouns, when used as subject or direct object take an Absolute suffix. This suffix depends on whether the noun is of the three animate classes, or of the three inanimate classes. The former takes the suffix -uù if the root is consonant final, -vuù if it ends in a rounded vowel, and rïȉ if it ends in an unrounded vowel.
Examples:
Rïvśɠaàɫuù "scorpion"
Lòòlovuù "Woman"
Manerïȉ "Prepubecent Boy"

The suffix for inanimates is -(ï)gw:
Cèbŋwaanhïgw "prickly pear"
Denkwàgw "Oasis"

With this suffix removed, the noun can be in a dative, in some constructions, or in something similiar to the Construct State in Semitic.

The suffix -t'ò pluralizes animates: Lòòlot'ò "Women". Inanimates normally do not take plural marking,, but redulplication of the first syllable, with the Absolute suffix attached is an optional way to do so. Cèbcèbŋwaanhïgw "prickly pears"

Locative case suffixes can be attached to the root:
Locative: Denkwàmö "At the Oasis"
Lative: Denkwàtevź "To the oasis"
Ablative: Denkwàpiil "From the Oasis"
Superessive: Denkwàsìɫ "Above the Oasis"
Superlative: Denkwàqa' "To above the oasis"
Subessive: Denkwà'öö̀rh "Below the oasis"
Sublative: Denkwàvè'e "To below the oasis"
Perlative: Denkwàbii "Across the oasis"
-JRR Tolkien