Showcase Your Conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Showcase Your Conlang

Post by Arayaz »

This is pretty simple. Showcase your conlang's phonology, its grammar, and maybe some of the lexicon. Ask for feedback, suggest things - this is mostly just for demonstration of everything the conlang community can do. I'm so excited to see what people have come up with!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Showcase Your Conlang

Post by Reyzadren »

This is a short summary of my conlang's phonology, grammar and some of the lexicon. /'griuskant/ griuskant belongs to its mixed fantasy fictional world.

* Phonology

These are the phonemes in script order:
/p t k s b d g z/
/m n ŋ ʃ w j ɣ ʒ/
/r tʃ f h l dʒ v θ/
/a i ɔ u ə e Y ɯ/

All words have initial stress.
CCCV*CCC maximum for each syllable.

* Grammar

Typology: agglutinative morphology, SVO word order, trigger alignment, head-final directionality.
Other features: Affixes, prepositions, no definiteness, no tenses, no agreement conjugations.

Word types: noun, verb, adjective, particle.
8 prefixes, 10 suffixes.

There is very little grammar in my conlang, so there is not much to talk about it here.

* Lexicon

I can't type the conscript here, so I'll leave a romanisation and its gloss below for a sample sentence.

aesk paeda zher xeka shaigauae roetzaev thak puathai stomsdratae merg,, vazh veyeti ovush.
/'esk 'peda ʒər 'ɣəka 'ʃaigaue 'rɯtzev θak 'puaθai 'stɔmsdrate 'mərg, vaʒ 'vəjəti 'ɔvuʃ./
1SG sit-V then write-V now-day-POSS entry down swing-V-A coconut-tree-POSS shelter attribution gentle-A illusion
I sit and write today's entry under the canopy of a swaying palm tree. What a tender illusion.

More info and links can be found in the griuskant thread here on this forum, or in my signature. I appreciate feedback regarding technical errors (broken links, script not displayed, typos etc) from all members.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

My conlang Hayakan is probably my most developed language, and has been worked on on and off for several years. Early outdated forms can be found in this forum, but the current version is much more fleshed out and very different.

In broad strokes:
Phoneme Inventory:
/p pʰ ɓ t tʰ ɗ t͡s t͡sʰ k kʰ/
/f s h/
/m n ŋ/
/l r j w ɰ/

/i e ɛ a ɔ o u ɯ/

Has a relatively strict syllable structure of (C)V(C1)(C2), where C represents all consonants and V all vowels. C1 represents the consonants /m n ŋ l r/, and C2 represents any consonant which is identical to the following (i.e., the first element of a geminate).

Right-edged weight sensitive stress, with stress on the penult unless it lacks a coda and the final syllable has one.

Morphosyntactic Highlights include:
-Overwhelmingly right-branching in nearly all domains--strongly prefixing, VSO word order, etc. Aside from the necessative suffix, the only suffixes are borrowed derivational morphemes.
-Light inflection (comparable to English), but with the present affixation is very firmly head-marking. Person and number marking on posessed nouns, inflected prepositions, etc.
-Minimal-Augmented pronouns
-A numeral system partially based on body parts
-A fair amount of sensitivity to definiteness in syntax--definite direct objects take a special preposition.

Other Highlights include:
-Hayakan is a pluricentric language, despite being spoken in one country, with the northern regions using one variety and the southern regions using another. This is rooted in a strong historical divide between dialects, a la Gheg-Tosk.
-Use of a syllabary, which has been substantially "regularized." A fun feature is that syllabograms representing common codas take a diacritical mark to indicate that they aren't synharmonic in situations where they could be--i.e. /kin/ is written <KI-NI> but /kini/ is written <KI-NÍ> (or something similar--I haven't actually made the glyphs yet, just mapped out the principles).
-Hayakan exists in our world, so it has influence from real languages, especially English, since Hayaka was a British colony.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

There are a number of languages in the world. Due to failings of virtue, the important ones are less documented than the obscure ones.

One known important language is Zzyxwqnp, the arguable official language of the empire (loose confederation) of Zzxzzyx, the origins of which are lost to the sands of time - officially, of course, it emerged as a coordinated military response to the eastward excursions of the Katnahl warlord Shquqou after they expelled the Cihlae from the port of Bayan, which was not supported by the Tsi decarchy, who are our friends until they hurry up and die and leave us to pick over their bones.

Zzyxwqnp has, in the native grammatical tradition, the following sounds:
Kqpmq: [a ɒ e ə o]
Chanye bbqx: [ʔ h]
Chanye pyt: [pʰ p mb f t̪ʰ t̪ n̪d̪ tsʰ ts ndz s tʂʰ tʂ ndʐ ʂ tɕʰ tɕ ndʑ ɕ kʰ k ŋg x]
Tonpkztye ggytkqpmq: [w j v z ʐ ʑ]
Tonpkztye ggytchan: [m n ȵ ŋ l]

In the west, where they used to speak Narng, they have funny ideas about the chan and tonpkzt, and add [θ ɳ]; and in the most obscure corners of the inland south, the distinction of chan into bbqx and pyt does not exist, and they say [tʰm̩̂] for [ʔm̩̂] and [ndʑæsn̩] for [ndʑahn̩].

The grammar is not terribly interesting. The typical Vengic contrast between major and minor verbs has specialized into a benefactive-honorific, and, as with most languages more inland than Hlu, most inherited words have been extended with formatives, which in the hurried speech of Bayan have been reduced to tongue-twisters impossible for and unbefitting of a true gentleman. The grammar, while less abbreviated than that of the Zot (for whom two chan and two kqpmq can encode a whole sentence), is less repetitive than that of Narng, Hlu, or even the filthy jargon of the repulsive Kemertenites who believe we all ought to abandon civilization and live naked and drunk in the woods. (There's nothing but extremes with the Katnahl - when they're not Kemertenites, they're Metkorists, petrified with fear of Qapi Mongkoush, who they'll swear up and down appeared to them in a bolt of fire once. You have to go all the way to Bakhzon to find a normal one.)

For example, the first words of the Stele of Xanrrvn in Zzyxwqnp are:

/kwũ˧twa˥˩=dʑwə njə-tsji˩ jwu˧tʂwã˧ kwa˥-jə tsja˥˩-mwã-jə ja˥tə̃˥/
[kũ˧tɒ˧˩dʑo˩ ndʑe˩tɕi˩ ju˧tʂɒ̃˧ kɒ˥je˧ tɕa˧˩mɒ̃˩je˩ ja˥tə̃˥]

Or in the Western dialect:

[kʰuntɔ̂ʒ=əntʃiwɔ jǔtʃɔŋ kə tʃɛ̂-mɔj játəŋ]

Whereas in Hlu they'd be rendered something like:

/n̥ɯç tʰu kɯɲ ɗɤ çim̥un m̥ɔçɔksɔ m̥ɔɬiⁿbjopʰutʰukɔ/

Unfortunately I haven't even started on Narng yet and forget how the language of the Kemertenites works, but all four are related.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Kaze: The (Maybe) Most Simple Language Ever (Grammatically)

(Kaze is by no means naturalistic; it's an engelang.)

Kaze's consonants are:
/p t k b d g/ <p t k b d g>
/m n/ <m n>
/v s z x/ <v s z x>
/r l w j/ <r l w j>

Kaze's vowels are:
/a e i o u y æ ø/ <a e i o u ü ä ö>

Kaze's syllable structure is very simple: (C)V(fricative).

Kaze's grammar is as follows:
Word order is free with regard to subject, verb, and object; nothing about something's role in a sentence is indicated by its position.
Kaze is otherwise head-initial.

Verbs receive the prefix j(ä)- to indicate that the subject and object are the opposite of what is expected.

This is all the grammar that exists in the entire language.

Example:
Meseki tü vas xu sawö.
meat of pig 1pro eat
"I eat/have eaten/will eat pork."

Meseki tü vas xu jäsawö.
meat of pig 1pro UNX-eat (the UNX stands for "unexpected")
"Pork eats/has eaten/will eat me."
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

(When it's ambiguous, as in "I kill the monster" vs. "the monster kills me," it is assumed that without the suffix, the more pessimistic option is being used.)

my garbage

she/her
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Üdj wrote: 20 Sep 2022 03:12 Verbs receive the prefix j(ä)- to indicate that the subject and object are the opposite of what is expected.
This is traditionally called a "direct-inverse" alignment.
Üdj wrote: 20 Sep 2022 03:14 (When it's ambiguous, as in "I kill the monster" vs. "the monster kills me," it is assumed that without the suffix, the more pessimistic option is being used.)
What if there is not more "pessimistic" option, like "I saw him" vs "he saw me"? Direct-inverse languages typically have a hierarchy of some kind which sets out which types of noun phrases are considered the more expected subject.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 20 Sep 2022 10:36 What if there is not more "pessimistic" option, like "I saw him" vs "he saw me"? Direct-inverse languages typically have a hierarchy of some kind which sets out which types of noun phrases are considered the more expected subject.
Here's the new way it works:

- If there is one option more expected than the other, it is the default.
- If one option is more pessimistic and neither is more expected, it is the default.
- Otherwise, assume that the 1st person is the subject.
- If there is no 1st person, the 2nd person is the subject.
- Otherwise, the animate is assumed to be the subject.
- If both are animate or both are inanimate, you're out of luck unless one of the previous options applies.

my garbage

she/her
KarakTea
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KarakTea »

Unnamed Little Teeny Weeny Sketch Language

Phonology and Romanisation
I'm a big fan of small phonologies, so I built a little language out of one of my favourite phonology sketches.

/n ŋ/ <n ŋ>
/t tʰ k kʰ ʔ/ <d t g c ɂ>
/s x/ <s x>
/l w~ɰ j~ɟ/ <l w y>
/r/ <r>

/i iː u uː/ <i i: u u:>
/e eː/ <e e:>
/a aː/ <a a:>

Aa Cc Dd Ee Gg Ii Ll Nn Ŋŋ ʔɂ Rr Ss Tt Uu Ww Xx Yy :

(C)V

Stress on first syllable, or leftmost syllable containing a long vowel.

Pronominals and Nouns
- Personal pronouns are pretty simple, with only two paradigms for subject and object pronouns. Pronouns have forms for singular, dual, and plural, and have two persons, first and second. Third persons do not have a distinct personal pronoun, rather using demonstratives and nouns.
- Demonstratives also mark for singular, dual, and plural. There are forms for proximal, medial, and distal.
- Nouns take agreement prefixes for their possessor. There is a suffix for definiteness. Most nouns take variable suffixes for duality and plurality, and more commonly used nouns either reduplicate or have an unrelated form for plurality. Adjectives and numerals follow the noun, possessors precede possessums.

Verbs
- Verbs take agreement prefixes for the subject and object(s) of a sentence.
- All sentences in the indicative mood must take evidentiality marking at the beginning of the sentence.
- Verbs can mark for the non-present tense, though it is not mandatory.
- Verbs of motion mark for the andative and venitive.
- Verbs are negated by the particle isa directly after the verb.
- Verbs mark for imperative via reduplication. In more commonly used verbs, the presentation of reduplication can be unpredictable.

Example Sentences and Words
These are taken from the reference doc, most are from "dictionary" entries.

De ɂe:ɂaŋena: decáyucae:!
[te ʔéːʔaŋenaː tekʰájukʰaeː]
de ɂe:ɂaŋe na: de-cayu-cae:
2 chicken-DEF 2-eat-IMP
You must eat the chicken!

Nica: tecesicena: aye yaécusaya.
[nikʰáː téʧʰeʃiʧʰenaː áɟe yaékʰusaja]
nica: tecesice-na: aye ya-√e-cu-saya
NVIS celebration-DEF 1.PL 1.PL-√e-AND-NPRS
We will be leaving the party.

Yada ina: tegú:e:saya isa.
[játa ináː tʰekúːeːsaja ísa]
yada ina: te-gu:e:-saya isa
INFR 3.S 2-love-NPRS NEG
He did not love you.

u:gisa - zero, none
u:ge - one
tini - two
seu - three
ada: - four
ni - five
deta - six
ne:ŋu - seven
ŋaɂa - eight
cinuɂeu - nine
dila - ten
cira - twenty
wa:ɂare - thirty
adila - fourty
nidila - fifty
gene: - sixty
e:ŋiu - seventy
ŋaɂadila - eighty
cinudila - ninety
ɂa:dega: - one hundred
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

Although not well developed, this is Lópaki, an analytic creole spoken throughout the Orion Arm that I created for a sci-fi fantasy setting. It arose from interactions between Italic and Canaanite peoples who were abducted from Earth thousands of years ago.

Phonology and Orthography

/m n ɲ/ <m n gn>
/p b t d k g ʔ/ <p b t d c~ch g~gh ’>
/t͡s d͡z t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/ <tz z q j>
/f s ʃ x h/ <f s x kh h>
/r l j w/ <r l y~i v~u>

/i u e o ɛ ɔ a/ <i u e o é ó a>
/ei oi ai eu ou au ia ua/ <ei oi ai eu ou au ia ua>

Syllable structures are (C)(C)(C)V(V)(C)(C)(C) and stress is always on the penultimate syllable of a word.

Grammar

As stated before, Lópaki grammar is very simple. Nouns only decline for number and do so in different ways depending on whether said noun ends in a specific vowel or a consonant. Verbs only conjugate for tense (Past and Present) or mood (Indicative and Subjunctive), although enclitic pronouns and certain prepositions can be used around the verb to indicate subjects, objects, and verbal aspects. Sentences in Lópaki always follow a VSO word order.

Examples

Chédba me ho.
cut-PST.IND 1S 3MS
I cut him.

Bénba me, vedba me, ctalaba me.
come-PST.IND 1S, see-PST.IND 1S, conquer-PST.IND 1S
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Au cap Sórti, at au douna Sórti.
PERF take-PRES.IND fortune, but PERF give-PRES.IND fortune
Fortune has taken away, but Fortune has given.

vacu - zero
ognu - one
du - two
tri - three
piattur - four
piampi - five
sias - six
siatti - seven
uattu - eight
nou - nine
diachi - ten
vighianti - twenty
vighianti diachi - thirty
du vighianti - forty
du vighianti diachi - fifty
tri vighianti - sixty
tri vighianti diachi - seventy
piattur vighianti - eighty
piattur vighianti diachi - ninety
chiantu - one hundred
mighialli - one thousand
du mighialli vighianti du - two thousand twenty two
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

I maintain a 3S Deductive Language (1Sense=1Sign=1Sound)...
with just accumulation of semantic primes, no predicate, no word, no grammar...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

KarakTea wrote: 28 Sep 2022 19:01 Unnamed Little Teeny Weeny Sketch Language
Welcome, KarakTea!

In Kankonian (my conlang), karak is the word for "black". So your screenname translates as "black tea"!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

KarakTea wrote: 28 Sep 2022 19:01 Unnamed Little Teeny Weeny Sketch Language

Phonology and Romanisation
I'm a big fan of small phonologies, so I built a little language out of one of my favourite phonology sketches.

/n ŋ/ <n ŋ>
/t tʰ k kʰ ʔ/ <d t g c ɂ>
/s x/ <s x>
/l w~ɰ j~ɟ/ <l w y>
/r/ <r>

/i iː u uː/ <i i: u u:>
/e eː/ <e e:>
/a aː/ <a a:>

Aa Cc Dd Ee Gg Ii Ll Nn Ŋŋ ʔɂ Rr Ss Tt Uu Ww Xx Yy :

(C)V

Stress on first syllable, or leftmost syllable containing a long vowel.

Pronominals and Nouns
- Personal pronouns are pretty simple, with only two paradigms for subject and object pronouns. Pronouns have forms for singular, dual, and plural, and have two persons, first and second. Third persons do not have a distinct personal pronoun, rather using demonstratives and nouns.
- Demonstratives also mark for singular, dual, and plural. There are forms for proximal, medial, and distal.
- Nouns take agreement prefixes for their possessor. There is a suffix for definiteness. Most nouns take variable suffixes for duality and plurality, and more commonly used nouns either reduplicate or have an unrelated form for plurality. Adjectives and numerals follow the noun, possessors precede possessums.

Verbs
- Verbs take agreement prefixes for the subject and object(s) of a sentence.
- All sentences in the indicative mood must take evidentiality marking at the beginning of the sentence.
- Verbs can mark for the non-present tense, though it is not mandatory.
- Verbs of motion mark for the andative and venitive.
- Verbs are negated by the particle isa directly after the verb.
- Verbs mark for imperative via reduplication. In more commonly used verbs, the presentation of reduplication can be unpredictable.

Example Sentences and Words
These are taken from the reference doc, most are from "dictionary" entries.

De ɂe:ɂaŋena: decáyucae:!
[te ʔéːʔaŋenaː tekʰájukʰaeː]
de ɂe:ɂaŋe na: de-cayu-cae:
2 chicken-DEF 2-eat-IMP
You must eat the chicken!

Nica: tecesicena: aye yaécusaya.
[nikʰáː téʧʰeʃiʧʰenaː áɟe yaékʰusaja]
nica: tecesice-na: aye ya-√e-cu-saya
NVIS celebration-DEF 1.PL 1.PL-√e-AND-NPRS
We will be leaving the party.

Yada ina: tegú:e:saya isa.
[játa ináː tʰekúːeːsaja ísa]
yada ina: te-gu:e:-saya isa
INFR 3.S 2-love-NPRS NEG
He did not love you.

u:gisa - zero, none
u:ge - one
tini - two
seu - three
ada: - four
ni - five
deta - six
ne:ŋu - seven
ŋaɂa - eight
cinuɂeu - nine
dila - ten
cira - twenty
wa:ɂare - thirty
adila - fourty
nidila - fifty
gene: - sixty
e:ŋiu - seventy
ŋaɂadila - eighty
cinudila - ninety
ɂa:dega: - one hundred
I really like this one. I can't put my finger on why, though. I quite like the numbers, with how fourty, fifty, eighty, and ninety are all transparently derived from four, five, eight, and nine with ten, but then twenty, thirty, sixty, and seventy seem to be there own thing
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
KarakTea
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KarakTea »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Oct 2022 02:25 Welcome, KarakTea!

In Kankonian (my conlang), karak is the word for "black". So your screenname translates as "black tea"!
Thank you. Also, that's quite a fun fact! I haven't got colour words yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sangi39 wrote: 06 Oct 2022 13:21 I really like this one. I can't put my finger on why, though. I quite like the numbers, with how fourty, fifty, eighty, and ninety are all transparently derived from four, five, eight, and nine with ten, but then twenty, thirty, sixty, and seventy seem to be there own thing
Thank you! I'm taking Spanish, and 22, 23, and 26 stand out in the twenties because they have accented letters. I like that pattern and so I sort of implemented it here.