cuneiform

Re: Lexember 2022

Post by Knox Adjacent »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 Day 4
Knox Adjacent:
Spoiler:
Knox Adjacent wrote: 02 Dec 2022 06:11 Day 1
(wi)-yiŋiw noun/adjective: three
Really feeling a derivational fate for it. Probably pronominal.
If I might ask, what do you mean by "derivational fate"?
I'm rather sparse on numerals right now and this one may end up as a pronominal trial affix and a random compound element like as in below, rather than continue to be a free word.
Knox Adjacent wrote: 03 Dec 2022 06:04
Spoiler:
(wi)-mimayiŋiw adj. having an inappropriate quantity
literally "leg-three"
I love the etymology of this word!
I love incorporation. Very useful.
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 05 Dec 2022 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2022 10:28 dudip: triple
dud, three + -ip, on analogy with lukhip, double
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2022 10:28 By analogy with dudip:

4 yokhip: quadruple
5 minip: quintuple
6 shephip: sextuple
7 phalip: septuple
8 yamip: octuple
9 yinip: nonuple
10 howalip: decuple
Is "single" derived similarly from "one"?
Nope! "Single" is pemiz, an unanalyzable word. Just like supob, first, is unanalyzable.
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2022 10:28 dudukhiyesh: triplet
dud (three) + khiyesh (to give birth to; birth)
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2022 10:28 Also more multiple-birth terms:

1 ilekhiyesh: singleton
2 pimop: twin (an unanalyzable word)
4 yokhukhiyesh: quadruplet
5 minukhiyesh: quintuplet
6 shephukhiyesh: sextuplet
7 phalekhiyesh: septuplet
8 yamakhiyesh: octuplet
9 yinakhiyesh: nonuplet
10 howalekhiyesh: decuplet
It's interesting that "twin" alone is unanalyzable, though I suppose it makes sense, given that twins are likely to be the most common type of multiple-birth siblings.
Yeah, I was thinking of words like geminus, gemelle, etc. that aren't simple -plet (or the equivalent) words in other languages.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
tokibuni
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tokibuni »

Lexember 2022 - Day 4
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 tokibuni
Spoiler:
tokibuni wrote: 03 Dec 2022 18:13 Add - töm [tʌm]
Verb - Mathematical operation.

Subtract - kräs [kɾæs]

Multiply - tötöm [tʌ.tʌm]

Divide - kräkräs [kɾæ.kɾæs]
Oh wow, that's a fun way to derive "multiply" & "divide"!
Reduplication is one of my favorite processes. I can't get enough of it! One of these days, I'm going to get around to doing a conlang that relies heavily on it (this one already uses it quite a bit). [:D]

Kuima

Sexuality & Gender

Includes NSFW words. It was easy enough to derive everything, so I made a lot of words for the day [:)]

The words for "man, woman, & person" already existed, and I've used them quite extensively here. So I'll list them: Man (llinko), Woman (llinfo), Person (llin).

Base Words
Spoiler:

Sex- säf [ʃæf]
V: The act of reproduction. Carries a clinical/educational meeting. Not appropriate to use outside of those contexts.
N: Sexuality (the type of person one is attracted to).

Further terms for sex:
Spoiler:

Sex - kotl [kotɬ]
V: Specifically for reproduction, typically applied to animals. Can be thought of as Reproducing/Breeding

Sex - plint [plint]
V: Focuses specifically on human reproduction. Not used as often in modern language.
Adj: Fertile

Sex - zilo [ʒi.lo]
V: Human reproduction, focused on a more intimate view. Somewhat equivalent to "make love" in English.

Sex - xhint [χint]
V: Specifically engaging in the act for pleasure, not for reproduction or romantic intimacy. Can also be used for "masturbation" when used with the reflexive.
Defy - wöz [wʌz]
V: Defy, rebel

Male - ko [ko]
Adj: Male

Female - fo [fo]
Adj: Female
Gender/Sex/Gender Identity - Not comprehensive for modern LGBT+ terms.
Spoiler:

Gender - kofo [ko.fo]
Origin: ko (male) & fo (female) mashed together.

Bigender - foko [fo.ko]
Origin: In-between slang and a real word. Used widely and adopted by the youth, not accepted by older generations as a word. This is not the only way to say bigender, it's just the youth's preferred method.

Transgender - kofowöz [ko.fo.wʌz]
Origin: gender + defy (Lit: Gender Defiant)

Trans Woman - llinfo kofowöz [ɭin.fo ko.fo.wʌz]

Trans Man - llinko kofowöz [ɭin.ko ko.fo.wʌz]

Non-Binary - llin kofowöz [ɭin ko.fo.wʌz]

Intersex - Multiple options, though some may use previously mentioned gender terms to refer to themselves:
llin [ɭin] - Some don't like going by this because it feels too generic, but this is fairly typical for intersex or NB individuals to use
llin jäkofo [ɭin jæ.ko.fo] - Older indivduals may use this term, but it's meaning has mostly come to mean agender
llin foko [ɭin fo.ko] - Some youth prefer this
llinwöz [ɭin.wʌz] - Lit: Person defiant. Can be used with other gender markers and such. Not as common.
Explanation of sexuality terms

Sexuality is viewed by the type of person one is attracted to without their own gender taken into consideration. Rather than English Hetero/Homosexual, you get Male-Oriented and Female-Oriented. Person-Oriented could mean Bi or Pan, or anything else that could apply to attraction that isn't male or female only. No-Orientation is asexual. The system isn't comprehensive in modern LGBT+ terms.

Sexuality is also specifically for physical attraction. There are separate concepts for romantic attraction. When speaking about sexuality, base sexuality is assumed to also include the same romantic sexuality (Male-Oriented physical attraction is assumed to mean they also hold such romantic attractions). If it differs, one would also mention the romantic sexuality at the same time. This doesn't work the other way. Romantic sexuality is not assumed to infer physical attraction based sexuality.
Spoiler:

Sexuality (Male Oriented) - säfko [ʃæf.ko]
Sexuality (Female Oriented) - säpho [ʃæ.ɸo]
Sexuality (Person Oriented) - säfllin [ʃæf.ɭin]
Sexuality (No Orientation) - jäsäf [jæ.ʃæf]

Romantic Sexuality - rimota [ɾi.mo.ta]
Origin: Kiss (romantic) + -ta derivational affix (still figuring out exactly how I want it to work)

Romantic Sexuality (Male Oriented) - rimotako [ɾi.mo.ta.ko]
Romantic Sexuality (Female Oriented) - rimotafo [ɾi.mo.ta.fo]
Romantic Sexuality (Person Oriented) - rimottallin [ɾi.mo.ʈa.ɭin]
Romantic Sexuality (No Orientation) - järimota [jæ.ɾi.mo.ta]
ara vu buni nnovki malasobuni - The moon is bright at night
- Kuima
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Lescembel 4 — Abaniscen

inanayleynathose living in the upper parts of an (amphitheater-shaped) Abaniscen city. Nobles (cacornemor) and richest of the hicornemor can live there, in vast multi-story residences carved into the walls of the city.
inanaysibinathose living in the middle parts of a city. Most hicornemor and some macornemor live there. The middle levels of the city are the most populated.
inanaycamnathose living in the lower parts of a city. The bottom level of the cities is inhabited by the macornemor, and, among them, workers working with fire are in the lowest position.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Lexember 4

sadkid (pl. asdigid) 'communiqué, message, memo; (plural) news; (plural) one's correspondence'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 4
ma?-wuɭukuran̪an n. extended family
Literally "bone-same-NMLZ"
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

5th Lexember

:con: Vissard:
Presnon [priˈnɔ̃] m.n., a. The Celtic peoples who inhabited Vissey prior to Roman settlement. From Old Vissard prednon, pretnon; although the exact etymology is uncertain, this ultimately derives from the proto-Celtic ethnonym *Kʷritanī, which is cognate to Welsh Prydyn and Old Irish Cruthne "Picts", as well as Britain and Brittany.
Kédemans Wi Gleprat wrote: Le Presnon sonnet un ethnik gang originant dis le ie de Vissie en le Norte Mar en le Norte Europe.
[əlpriˈnɔ̃ ɔntø̃tniˈɡãŋ uriʒiˈnãn diˈli dviˈti ɛ̃lnotˈma ɛ̃lnotœˈrop]
the.M.PL.NOM p.n. be.PRES.2/3PL a.M.SG ethnic.M.SG group originate-GER from the.F.SG island of p.n. in the.F.SG north.F.SG sea in the.F.SG north.F.SG europe.OBL
"The Presnons are an ethnic group originating on the island of Vissey in the North Sea in northern Europe."
Cultural note:
Spoiler:
The Presnons – English name Brinons – were the sole inhabitants of Vissey before the Romans settled in the early first century AD. They remained as a minority group for a millenium, but eventually integrated entirely into the Vissard population. Their language is poorly recorded (there are no mentions of it being spoken after the 16th century), although a counting system of Brinonian origin was used by Vissard shepherds up until the late 20th century.

:con: Ai:
ód [ɔ́ɾ] (H tone) n. Name / nickname. Compare Doutai , Waritai ou, Duvle oie, Papasena oig’; possibly Edopi osi, Iau o⁷su⁴; even Kai asouka, Obokuitai ásúkuá, Eritai esiba. Suggests a proto-form something like †atukua; the a~o~e and i~u variations are common enough to suggest these may be cognates, although Clouse doesn't reconstruct anything.
Kiid gu Dáa wrote: Ód ido "Kiid gu Dáa" gásaid, i tebií gasaid bo i kiid daa daa.
[ɔ́ɾ ìɾɔ̀ kìːɾɡù dâː ɡásài̯ɾ | ì tɛ̀βǐː ɡàsài̯ɾbɔ̀ ì kìːɾ dàːɾàː]
ɔdH idɔL kiidL=ɡu daa-HL ɡasaid-HL, iL tɛbiiLH ɡasaid-L=bɔ iL kiidL daa~daa-L
name 1SG.POSS frog=PAT eat-IPFV stand-IPFV, 1SG child stand-IPFV.COMPL=TOP 1SG frog eat~eat-IPFV.COMPL

"My name is Kiid gu Dáa [eats frogs], (because) when I was a child I ate lots of frogs."
Cultural note:
Spoiler:
Proper names don't exist as a separate category in Ai; they are much more transparent and subject to change than Western-style names – more akin to an English nickname. This is highlighted by how Ai uses an alienable possessive construction for the name; it is something that can be lost or exchanged, not a permanent attribute.
Mostly names consist of a noun (Hii "hair"), an adjective (Kui "deep"), or a noun and adjective (Kuéid Átá "wet head"), more rarely a verb phrase (Hi Gu Kéi Kad "doesn't pound sago"). Names are generally given to children at the age of two or three years, and are based on physical appearance, actions or events – for example Hi Gu Kéi Kad was named such because she refused to pound sago when all the other women were doing so. Names can change during one's lifetime, and names are given to outsiders upon their arrival even though they have a name already. Recently, Biblical names have become popular amongst the largely Christianised Ai, e.g. Abidaha (Abraham), Dabíd (David); Indonesian names are also somewhat common, like Hasád (Hasan), Basukí (Basuki); or even Indonesian words or phrases in the style of Ai names (Porúd from perut "stomach", Kébáda Besád from kepala besar "big head"). To disambiguate, as I mentioned earlier, the clan name can be used, or the name of the village.

(For more information on how names are formed in Iau, which is similar to Ai in this respect, check out this pdf which contains an interesting article by Helen Miehle.)

:con: Tumbleweed:
dlangwinggi [ˈɖ͡ɭɑŋʷeᵑɡe] v. (transitive) Throw an object; mention, specify; brag about. (intransitive); boast, brag; gossip.
Dlangwinggirnqinggwidhilhi dlhiringwi warnganhadhalha.
[ˈɖ͡ɭɑŋʷeˌᵑɡiᶰqeˌᵑɡʷid̻el̻e ˈd̻͡l̻iɻeŋʷe ˈwɑᶰɢɐˌn̻ɑd̻ɐl̻ɐ]
dlangwinggi-rnqVnggwV-DHV-LHV dlhi-ringwi wa-rngVNHV-DHV-LHV
brag-FREQ-3.I.SG.A-3.II.SG.O CLASS.II-animal.sp.ABS kill-FURTHER.PAST-3.I.SG.A-3.II.SG.O

"He is bragging about having killed a dlhiringwi."

:fra: Picard:
défuncter [defœ̃(k)ˈte], [defɛ̃(k)ˈte] v. To die. Rouchi variant défunker [defœ̃ˈke]. Compare obsolete French slang défuncter; from Old French défun(c)t, borrowed from Latin DĒFUNCTUS, past participle of DĒFUNGĪ "finish, carry out".
Ch’onme défunctoét kanjou k’j’y su-t-arrivè.
DEF.M.SG-man die-IPFV.3SG when REL 1SG.SUBJ-there be.PRES.1SG arrive-P.PPL
"The man was dying when I got there."
Conjugation:

Code: Select all

Infinitive:         défuncter
Past participle:    défunctè
Present participle: défunctant

Present:
Indicative:                    Subjunctive:
éj défuncte   os défunctons    k’éj défuncte    k’os défuntonche
tu défunctes  os défuncté      ék tu défunctes  k’os défunctèche
i/a défuncte  is défunct’te    k’i défuncte     k’is défunct’te

Imperfect:                        Imperative:
éj défunctoé   os défunctoinmes              défunctons!
tu défunctoés  os défunctoétes    défuncte!  défuncté!
i défunctoét   is défunctoétte

Future:                          Conditional:
éj défunctrai  os défunctrons    éj défunctroé   os défunctroinmes
tu défunctros  os défunctré      tu défunctroés  os défunctroétes
i défunctro    is défunctront    i défunctroét   is défunctroétte

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 01 Dec 2022 00:14 I'll be learning words from the natlang Picard.
Oh, very cool! If I might ask, what resources are you using for Picard? I find myself quite intrigued by the variants of "piot" in particular.
There's a few resources that I'm using – mostly academic papers, alongside Glossaire étymologique et comparatif du patois picard, ancien et moderne by Jules Corblet (1851), which lists the variants of piot, as well as wiktionary and picard wikipedia. There's also picartext, which is good for seing examples in context, although it has its flaws.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 5

Hannaito (Entry 5):

tessa /tehsa/ [ˈtes.sa]
Noun:
1. child, kid
2. the young of an animal
3. sprout, seedling, sapling

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaitoan *kerra "bush, shrub".
Usage notes
Sense 1 typically refers to children roughly between the ages of 3 and 13, or those who are old enough to walk on their own but are still too young to be considered adolescents. Like English "child", tessa is gender-neutral. Unlike "child", however, it cannot be used to refer to a person's offspring regardless of age. Referring to someone's 20-year-old daughter, for instance, as their tessa would be confusing at best and fairly insulting at worst, and even referring to, say, someone's 8-year-old that way might be seen as a bit rude.

Old Visigothic (Entry 5):

barn /ˈbarn/ [ˈbɑɾn]
Noun:
1. child, kid, someone who is not yet an adult
2. offspring
3. (figuratively) product, result, consequence, derivative, offshoot
4. boy, young man
5. servant boy, page

Alternative forms
baren, barne, bar
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *barną. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌱𐌰𐍂𐌽 (barn) and Crimean Gothic baar.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 5
sòk2 - music
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 qwed117:
qwed117 wrote: 04 Dec 2022 02:32 a1-'a3 /a˧ʔa˧˩/ - meal, food eaten at a meal; from Sanskrit आहार (āhāra, “food”), perhaps through Khmer អាហារ (ʼaahaa)
Assuming this is still "Hlaitype A Priori" from the first entry, is this an a priori language meant to be spoken in (a version of) our world? I'm curious because of the Sanskrit loanword.
I haven't quite decided if it's a transdimensional portal, or whatever, but yeah, I think that for now, the Hlaitype A-Priori is meant to be spoken on Earth, even if only in an althistory.
Last edited by qwed117 on 01 Jan 2023 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 01 Dec 2022 12:29 coðelostað /koˌðe.lɔˈstaθ/ [kʊˌðɛ.lʊˈstah]
- caution, wariness, vigilance, watchfulness, the state of begin alert to potential dangers or mistakes;
- anxiety, alarm, pessimism, an unpleasant condition of mental unease or concern about the uncertain future

Etymology: nominal derivative of coðelous "cautious, wary; attentive, aware" first attested in the fifteenth century. This adjective is itself a derivative of noun coðel "caution" (now obsolete, but compare French choile "lie, deceit" and various learned forms across Romance), from synonymous cautēla in Latin. Extension to more negative emotional states is seen from the eighteenth century.
I love the double <ð>, of course! [:D]
Jackk wrote: 02 Dec 2022 19:38 excerpt from The Delicious Story of Dough and Oil, a work of popular history detailing the history of many related foods across the globe. Published (originally in Mojarick as Tésta Olaivan Vláxerte "A World of Dough in Oil") in 1963 by first-time writer and famed chef Shomoji Taxon, who in his later years would go on to present the first cooking programme shown simultaneously on both sides of the Atlantic.

…see its eastern origins by its names in the languages of Europe—whether in Horther møurick ("Moorish wheat") or Bavarn creshke (originally from a Russian word meaning "Greek"). Nonetheless, sarzin [buckwheat] flour has since its introduction become a key component of diets across the continent.
"Mojarick" = Hungarian? And are "Horther" and "Bavarn" both Germanic?
Jackk wrote: 03 Dec 2022 14:33 gallaið /gaˈleθ/ [gɐˈleh]
- galaxy, collection of stars all orbiting a common centre;
- seemingly-uncountable collection of people of things conceptualised as comprising a vast variety;
- (dated) the Milky Way, the galaxy in which the Sun and Earth are found and which is most readily visible in the night sky

Etymology: from late Old Boral galaix, galais "the Milky Way", learned borrowing from synonymous Latin galaxiās and Ancient Greek (κύκλος) γᾰλᾰξῐ́ᾱς, literally "milky circle". Altered in the early Middle Boral period under the influence of laið "milk", from Latin lac, lactem "milk" (or possibly from a Borland Kelt form; compare Cambrick łaeth "milk").

Used as a proper noun until the discovery of other galaxies in the Good Game period of the late nineteenth century. Metaphorical use for other vast collections of things is seen since the seventeenth century, especially in poetry.
I'm very much a fan of the look and sound of "gallaið". As always, I'm enjoying your cultural/historical and etymological notes as well!
Thanks as always for the commentary on everyone's Lexembers, I at least really appreciate it [<3] Correct on all counts—Horther refers to a region of Norway (cf. Hordaland), while Bavarn means "Bavarian" [:)]

5th Lexember

pisar "weigh"

pisar /piˈzar/ [pɪˈzɑː]
- weigh, to determine the weight of;
- weigh out, distribute, apportion, to divde into portions according to some criterion;
- consider, weigh up, assess, to deliberate on the relative importance of differnet factors

Etymology: from Old Boral pisar, pesar "to weigh, consider", the combination of the native descendant of Latin pēnsō "I ponder, purchase" (which also gives Modern Boral pesar "think") along with a secondary verbal derivation from noun pis "weight, measure", from Latin pēnsum "allotment, quota".

Y lan a filar se coun pisað cos inequal.
/i lan a fiˈlar se kun piˈzaθ kɔz ˌi.neˈkwal/
[i ˈlan a fɪˈlɑː se ˈkun pɪˈzah kɔz ˌi.nɪˈkwaw]
def wood to spin-inf rfl get-pst-3p weigh-p.pst adv unfair
The wool to spin was unfairly distributed.

---

excerpt in translation from a 1828 steeplepost letter sent from Pentrose to Axton by mathematician Darren Brodus.

Vos vouð cas mendrem outr bon me fair par noc desmannaçar a Paris, citað de vareç e carogn, si meðes tu derra pieç Fransc Ustol parsir por gra de ty fem.
You will at the very least do me the service of not moving to Paris, city of greed and carrion, even if you must learn some Proper French for the sake of your wife.

Dec Hortense oc lerra cos certan, jo vil ci bon vouð de Clara communeyar e rescaur ig vos porreð pront se sarvir dy lencorf cas Vauhan; for carað Marduth ag Tesoir Tyche.
As Hortense is certainly reading, I shall pass on Clara's well-wishes and reiterate that you are welcome to make use of the Vauhan lencorve; just ask for Marduth at the Tyche Bank.

Y scourm de Pether son tan voluð, parisc i, a partir de bel Albion traiçonous.
Pether's lot are also destined, it seems, to leave fair, perfidious Albion.

Ig degnant jo lour day ascuranç continu de xeny oy il son resoluð sur najar lonc y gran flou mendevan vars un ventur calscon seyon trovabr a Hasiny.
Despite my continuing assurances of welcome here they are determined to sail the great Mendevan river to whatever future they can find in Hasiny.

Jo dey admettr ig y sigt de murðon de laf teir entr mey e casc hom teudesc es formous naðusc.
I must admit the prospect of being thousands of miles from any Dutchman has its appeal.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 To clarify, by "(coll.)", do you mean "colloquial"?

Exactly! Like, it's not vulgar or anything, but most people wouldn't use the standard language word vesédamon in everyday language.
Lexember 5 - Yélian

riur oʻerusan [ˈɾiː.ʉd̟ ɔ̈ʔəˈɾuːsɐdn] - non-fiction book
Etymology: riur "book" + o' "genitive case" + ʻerusar "description" + plural suffix -an. Literally "book of descriptions"

Siy pirme yisanai riur oʻerusan o'denial o'loreprodar on'uzadan, èpa tízevat pilatblidai pès acan èn acerbunoran.
[sa̯iː ˈpiɾmə ɕɨˈsaːnaɪ̯ ˈɾiː.ʉd̟ ɔ̈ʔəˈɾuːsɐn ɔ̈ˈdenɪ̯ɐl ɔ̈lɔ̈ɾəˈpɾoːdɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈnuːɟɐdɐn, ˈɛpɐ ˈtiːɟəʋɐ‿ˌpiːlɐˈbliːdaɪ̯ pɛs ˈaːkɐn ɛn ˌaːkəɾˈbuːnɔ̈ɾɐn]
before while PST-read-1SG book DEF.GEN=description DEF.GEN=planning DEF.GEN=infrastructure DEF.GEN=city-PL, and since_then different-look-1SG towards street-PL and street_sign-PL
A while ago I read a non-fiction book about infrastructural planning of cities, and since then I look at streets and street signs with different eyes.

New words for the example sentence:

denial [ˈdeːnɪ̯ɐl] - planning [And yes, there are absolutely memes about that false friend in Yélian culture]
Etymology: denia "to plan" + nominalizer suffix -l

tízevat [ˈtiːɟəʋɐt] - since then, from there on (Southern Standard)
tiscat [ˈtiskɐt] - since then, from there on (Northern Standard)
Etymology: from tize/tisce "since" + vat "demonstrative determiner"; There are a lot of conjunctions that are formed the same way.

acerpunor [ˌaːkəɾˈpuːnɔ̈d̟] - street sign
Etymology: acer "street" + punor "pointer, marker, indicator"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 4

Weddisch

Estweddisch:
1. thuse /tuːzə/ nn. uncountable "home" formed from teh contractions of tó huse "to house" compare German zu Hause and Dutch thuis. Like German, this wsord preserves a fossilized Dative endings.

2. haam /haːm/ nn. pl. -e "home"

Hawannis
1. hoom /hɔːm/ nn. pl. -e "home". In Hwannis, thuse is not commonly used.

Yemya

śenatś /ɕenɑt͡ɕ/ n. "social class, caste"

Lexember 5

Weddisch

Estweddisch"
werkerklasse /vɛɾkəɾklasə/ nn. pl. -en "working class, proletariat"

Hawannis
werkerklasse /veːkəklasə/ nn. pl. -es "working class, proletariat"

Yemya

yauddor /jɑudːoɾ/n. "warrior, fighter, especially one who is specially trained in martial arts"
Spoiler:

spanick wrote: 01 Dec 2022 20:17 I make my annual pilgrimage back to The CBB to partake in the Lexember festivities with the usual suspects as my langauges.

Welcome back!

Thank you!

[
spanick wrote: 01 Dec 2022 20:17 Yemya
thriya num. /tʰɾijɑ/ "three"

In the Yemya religion of Taivthaism, there are three "orders", the yaśthor, the śvana, and the jauśthorwhich are collectively known as the pontha triya "three ways".

Cool! For the Yemya entry, are these monastic orders or something similar?

Kind of. The yaśthor are priests, the śvana are monks, and the jauśthor are shamans. They all share a common foundational conception of the gods and myths found in the two foundational texts of Taivthaism, but they go about the practice of the religion differently and each have additional texts they employ to these ends. Put simply, the yaśthor are hierarchical and organized and do a lot of public ritual. The śvana are contemplatives and often quite separate from society. The jauśthor are more egalitarian and their practice is more immanent. They are often the most common among every day people for every day sorts of religious/magical needs.
Johnathan_4
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Johnathan_4 »

Class
Lexember 4
Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: æfɲɪn = nobility. This word refers to one's social status and honorable character. ə̬ɹ æfɲɪn = nobles of society (plural).

Class
Lexember 5
Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: ə̬ɹ æfʃtɐ = the elites of society. ə̬ɹ makes æfʃtɐ plural.

æfʃtɐ = elite
æfɲɪn= nobility
NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL, GET UP, DRESS UP. SHOW UP, AND NEVER GIVE UP. [:D]
tokibuni
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tokibuni »

Lexember 2022 - Day 5

Kuima

Care - jan [jan]
V: To feel deeply about someone or something’s well being. To wish that someone well. To be concerned about a matter.
Note: This can not be used for physically taking care of someone. The word for that was already established before Lexember, zamu.

Uncaring - jäjan [jæ.jan]
Adj: To be unmoved by someone or something’s plight. To not be concerned about a matter.

Couldn't Care Less - janok [jan.ok]
V: Mild curse word. Can be used as its own expression or part of a sentence. Effectively means “I couldn’t care less” in English. Lit: I tried and failed to care.

Couple (Join) - toin [to.in]
N: A pair of something. Inanimate things only.
V: To join
Note: I made the word for “couple” only to realize how similar it was when I also applied it to “join.”

Couple (Join) - ddunn [ɖuɳ]
N: A pair of something. Animate only.
V: To join.

Edge - pänlar [pæn.laɾ]
Noun: Edge
V: To give an edge to. To be on the edge of. To move along the edge of.

Road - awuzti [a.wuz.ti]
Origin: a- (nominalization) + travel + -ti (place)
N: A prepared path to travel on.

New - lim [lim]
Adj: Something new. Not old.

Party - subit [∫u.bit]
Origin: play + -t (place)
N: A place or occasion with revelry.

Example Sentences

She cares a great deal about the new road that is being laid by her house.

o jan vors nufal tlos susfina nnukvu awuzti lim malawof flifal
GNO care strong NOM-3SG COMP build-PSSV NOM-DEF road new LOC-house GEN-3SG
Lit: She cares strongly that the new road is being built by her house.

A couple of towers lined the horizon.

is xuda nnuksu dduvo toin vu pänlar flisölo
PFV line NOM-DL tower couple DEF edge GEN-sky

Note: I’m unsure of this translation. I think it works in Kuima though. Still have a fair amount of work to do. Not going to lie, I’m confused on how to handle “couple.” It feels more like an adj than a noun in this situation, which is how I’m treating it here. And then there’s the question of whether to mark for the Dual number or not, but I think it makes sense.
ara vu buni nnovki malasobuni - The moon is bright at night
- Kuima
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

6th Lexember

:con: Vissard:
boker [buˈke] mn. Butcher. Middle Vissard bukeir, Old Vissard bukair, from bouk "goat" (Late Latin BUCCUS "he-goat" from Frankish *bukk) + the suffix -ĀRIUS, cf. koler "knight" < CABALLĀRIUS, busker "lumberjack" < BUSCUS + -ĀRIUS
Lotringe Elizabeth Inus wrote:Mi, je ekate de kane dis Auret, le boker ke se troppe rue nox.
[ˈmi ʒəˈkat ədˈkan dioˈre | əlbuˈke kəˈtrɔp ryˈnyː]
1SG.TONIC 1SG.SUBJ buy.PRES of meat from p.n.OBL | the.M.SG butcher REL REFL find.PRES on.the.road.of 1PL.TONIC
"Me, I buy my meat from Aurets, the butcher up the road."
Cultural note:
Spoiler:
Traditional Vissard butchers (bokeries) are somewhere between English and French ones; up until the mid-20th century there were hundreds of small butcher's shops which served their local area and specialised entirely in meat. More recently, they have been in decline due to the convenience of supermarkets, although some specialists remain. Bokeries would sell cuts of meat, primarily lamb (cheppe), beef (koul), pork (sune) and chicken (chike), as well as sausages, cured meats and some charcuterie products (kankuterie) like pâtés (peceats) and forcemeat (farchiskane). Game meats – venison (érot), pheasant (vorane), rabbit (are) and goose (gus) – were all sold at a different shop, a gubiter.
There's a slang term for a butcher's, tékurie, which derives from sékure "sawdust", referring to how traditional butcher's shops covered their floors with sawdust to soak up blood.

:con: Ai:
bóid [ɓɔ́i̯ɾ] (HL tone) n. Bachelor, unmarried man. Compare Obokuitai bódíd, Sikaritai bgóda.
Bohaud Akiud ko wrote:I túd Údégúd hákúi kád, i bóid gasáid bo i akudde gu gekié iá.
[ì túɾ úɾɛ́ɣúɾ hákúì káɾ | ì ɓɔ́i̯ɾ ɡàsái̯ɾbɔ̀ i̯àkùɾdɛ̀ɣù ɡɛ̀ki̯ɛ́ i̯á]
iL tudH udɛɡudH ha-kui-HL kadH, iL bɔi̯dHL ɡasai̯d-HL=bɔ i=akuddɛL=ɡu ɡɛ-kiɛ-LH iaLH
1SG woman p.n. RECIP-take-IPFV NEG, 1SG bachelor stand-IPFV=TOP 1SG=heart=PAT CAUS-be.good-PFV CERT

"I don't want to marry a Údégúd woman, I'm happy to remain a bachelor."
Cultural note:
Spoiler:
Technically there is no limit to how many wives an Ai man may take at any one time, although in practice it's rare to have more than two. Women on the other hand can only take one husband at a time, although if their husband dies they can take another one.

:con: Tumbleweed:
daginti [ˈɖɑɡeᶯʈe] v. Fish.
yadaga [ˈjɑɖɐɡɐ] n.I Fisherman.
dlhidaga [ˈd̻͡l̻iɖɐɡɐ] n.II 1) Type of arrow with a wooden tip hardened in fire used specifically to hunt fish. 2) Bird species akin to a kingfisher.
dnadaga [ˈɖ͡ɳɑɖɐɡɐ] n.III A type of plant with a soapy sap which can be used to poison fish; or the sap derived from this plant.
Ghadaga [ˈɰɑɖɐɡɐ] n.IV A geographical location, so named because of the many flat boulders which have the appearance of fish scales.
dadaga [ˈɖɑɖɐɡɐ] v. Catch fish using dnadaga poison.
Yadaga gngiwangkawanhadharha gi dlhidagangadlha, dlhidaga dnhilagngiwangkawanhantadna gi dlhintadangadlha.
[ˈjɑɖɐɡɐ ˈɡ͡ŋiwɐˌᵑkɑwɐˌn̻ɑd̻ɐɾ̻ɐ ˈɡi ˈd̻͡l̻iɖɐˌɡɑŋɐd̻͡l̻ɐ | ˈd̻͡l̻iɖɐɡɐ ˌd̻͡n̻iɭɐˈɡ͡ŋiwɐˌᵑkɑwɐˌn̻ɑᶯʈɐɖ͡ɳɐ ˈɡi ˈd̻͡l̻iᶯʈɐˌɖɑŋɐd̻͡l̻ɐ]
ya-daga gngiwangka-wVNHV-DHVRHV gi dlhi-daga-ngVDLYV, dlhi-daga DNHila=gngiwangka-wVNHV-ntVdnV gi dlhi-ntada-ngVDLYV
CLASS.I-fisherman.NOM hunt-HABIT-3.I.SG.S INSTR CLASS.II-fish.spear-OBL, CLASS.II-bird.sp.ABS SAME.TIME=hunt-HABIT-3.II.SG.S INSTR CLASS.II-REFL.PRON-OBL

"The fisherman hunts with a fishing-spear, while at the same time, the dlhidaga bird hunts with itself."

:fra: Picard:
écrivin [ekriˈvɛ̃] mn./fn. Writer. From Old French escrivain, from Vulgar Latin *SCRĪBĀ, SCRĪBĀNEM from SCRĪBA "writer, scribe"; cf. French écrivain, Walloon scriveû.
trouvoére [truˈvwer] mn. Troubadour; a mediaeval poet. Equivalent to troubadour and French trouveur, from Vulgar Latin *TROPĀRE "find, invent" + -ATŌREM.
Adam éd l’Halle étoét in trouvoére picard, et in d’ches écrivins picards plus fameus.
p.n. of the p.n. be.IPF.3.SG a.M.SG troubadour picard.M.SG, and one.M.SG of-DEF.M.PL writer-PL picard-M.PL most famous.M.PL
"Adam de la Halle was a Picard troubadour, and one of the most famous Picard writers ever."
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 5
ma?-ɻamŋaɻa n. civil servant; government employee

ma?-tuɲcap n. elected official
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 6 - Yélian

ariysvǽr [ˌaːɾa̯iːˈsvœd̟] - compromise
Etymology: ariy "at least, halfway" + svær "promise", literally "half a promise".

Per dayal o'taniséquot o'mapelin, a'tunaséni prena yeizʻi ariysvǽr.
regarding argument DEF.GEN=law-new DEF.GEN=family-PL, DEF.ANIM=Party-PL-ENUM two PST-reach-3PL compromise
in the discussion for the new family law, the two parties have reached a compromise.

Bonus word for the example sentence:
tunasé [t̚ʉnɐˈseː] - (political) party
Etymology: tunasé "interest", as in a group of people with a shared interest.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Lescembel 5 — Abaniscen

nam [nãm] — mother, also used for maternal aunts and uncles
orim [ə́u̯ɾĩm] — father, also used for paternal aunts and uncles
hici [híːki] — sibling

Lescembel 6 — Abaniscen

cuhmi [kṹːɸy] — age
icuhmiyara [ikũɸỹ́ːnəɾa] — fourteen year old
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

6th Lexember

laundar "slip"

laundar /lonˈdar/ [lʊnˈdɑː]
- slip, skid, slide, glide, to move along a slippery surface without traction;
- trip, stumble, stagger, to walk clumsily so as to (almost) fall over;
- err, misspeak, misstep, to be mistaken about something;
- pass, elapse, (of time) to be spent, especially without one achieving anything of import

Etymology: from Old Boral laundar "slip, err", either from an unattested synonymous Latin verb *lābundō or a contemporary verbal derivation of laund "slippery, unsteady" (the modern launt "slip, misstep, faux pas" is likely a later deverbal from the Middle Boral period). In either case the word originates with Latin lābundus "slippery", participial form of deponent verb lābor "I slip, sink, vanish, err".

Y dou tarnaç laundaurn ne sortir.
/i du tarˈnats lonˈdorn̩ ne sɔrˈtɪr/
[i du tɐːˈnas lʊnˈdoːn ne sʊːˈtɪː]
def two pub.regular slip-pst-3p in go.out-inf
The two regulars stumbled as they left.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 6

Hannaito (Entry 6):

nissari /nihsari/ [ˈɲis.saˌɾʲi]
Noun:
1. transgender/AMAB woman, transfeminine person (often referring to someone of foreign origin)
2. (foreign) priestess, nun
3. (rare) any woman who has undergone another culture's coming-of-age ceremony

Etymology
Borrowed from Classical Leran nīxallī, from Nitusog nípsalli, from Zethkoa ñipsəḷi, from Enakku niušáṛi, from Khelyund ňiwžáři, from Old Taskaeta nīvžáryə, the passive participle of nīvžárši "to raise (a daughter); to help (an AMAB woman) transition; to officiate (a coming-of-age ceremony for a woman)", a causative verb derived from the root of nyāvžə "(to be a) woman".
Usage notes
nissari is one of a number of words for (originally) Taskaeta cultural concepts that have spread westward and ultimate entered Hannaito via a chain of mostly unrelated intermediary languages. The corresponding term for "transgender man", satari, similarly originates from Old Taskaeta skəθáryə.

Most Hannaito speakers are likely to be familiar with and accepting of the concept of a nissari, but it has not yet become particularly common for the Hannaichë to refer to themselves this way. Instead, the word is still most often used in reference to people from other cultures. Most Hannaichë would likely think of a foreign merchant or dignitary when asked to picture a nissari, and it would be fairly surprising - though not scandalous or unacceptable - for someone other than an immigrant or foreign visitor to call herself that. Among Hannaito speakers who have already adopted nissari as a label for themselves, there is some disagreement regarding whether nissari should be considered a subcategory of hatchë "women" (as they are in Taskaeta society), a subcategory of chiuno (a traditional third gender category native to Hannaito culture), or an entirely new, separate gender category.

Old Visigothic (Entry 6):

uuia /ˈwiːha/ [ˈwiː.(h)ɑ]
Noun:
1. saint (masc.), holy man
2. (Christianity) priest, clergyman

Alternative forms
uueia, uu(e)iha, u(e)ia, u(e)iha, gu(e)ia, gu(e)iha, uu(e)ian, uu(e)ihan, u(e)ian, u(e)ihan, gu(e)ian, gu(e)ihan
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *wīhô. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌷𐌰 (weiha).
Alternatively, a substantivization of the masculine weak/definite nominative singular form of uui "holy, sacred" (< PGmc. *wīhaz). Compare Biblical Gothic 𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌷𐍃 (weihs).
Usage notes
The feminine equivalent is uuio or uuiu. Synonyms of Sense 1 include agiu or aiu (< Ancient Greek ἅγιος (hágios)), sant or sanct (< Latin sānctus), and ercna (< PGmc. *erknaz). Synonyms of Sense 2 include gudhia (< PGmc. *gudjô) and papa (compare Gothic 𐍀𐌰𐍀𐌰 (papa)).
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)