ma?-n̪apiʈitunim n. leader
A very blah head-pull-er
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexember 2022

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 9
ka2 - No! (negative response to a negative polar question), also, "what?" when a speaker is unsure of what they've heard
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 9

Hannaito (Entry 9):

nersowin /nersowin/ [ˈneɾ.soˌβ̞ĩn]
Adjective:
1. marriageable, old enough to potentially get married, willing to get married
2. sticky, clingy, adhesive
3. (of a wound) treatable, manageable
4. employable, looking for work
5. open, agreeable, approachable, cooperative
6. gregarious, outgoing, charismatic
7. kind, friendly, nice, sweet
8. gullible, submissive
9. easy to accomplish, likely to happen
10. possible to achieve
11. sexually active
12. (of a ship) ready to return to port

Alternative forms
nersoin, nersoun, nersouqin, nerson
Etymology
From nersou "to marry; to attach; to bandage; to hire; to ally with; to entrap; to ensure; to achieve; to seduce; to anchor" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *nersaw "to tie, to bind, to ensnare") + the adjective-forming suffix -in (< PH *lim "safe, secure, steady").

Old Visigothic (Entry 9):

gasalia /gaˈsalja/ [ɣɑˈsɑl.jɑ]
Noun:
1. housemate, guest
2. companion, comrade, colleague, associate
3. friend
4. ward, foster child, adopted child

Alternative forms
gassalia, gasalian, gassalian
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *gasaljô. Compare Vandalic *gasalja, Portuguese agasalhar, Galician agasallar, and Spanish agasajar.

brutharloua /ˈbroːdarˌluba/ [ˈbɾoː.ðɑɾˌlu.βɑ], [ˈbɾuo̯.ðɑɾˌlu.βɑ]
Noun:
1. brotherly love, familial love
2. platonic love
3. friendship (esp. between men)

Alternative forms
brotharloua, bruotharloua, brudharloua, brodharloua, bruodharloua, brutharlouo, brotharlouo, bruotharlouo, brudharlouo, brodharlouo, bruodharlouo
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *brōþēr + *lubō. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌱𐍂𐍉𐌸𐍂𐌿𐌻𐌿𐌱𐍉 (brōþrulubō).
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
tokibuni
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tokibuni »

Lexember 2022 - Day 9

Kuima

Rescue - lävku [læv.ku]
Verb

Example sentence

The firefighter rescued the cat from the tree
is lävku nnukvu osmot vu mazo nnamva vu ddibo
PFV rescue NOM-DEF fireperson DEF cat outof DEF tree
Note: I'm still working on locational bits of the language, so those parts may change. Also, o- (agentive) + smot (fire) = firefighter.
ara vu buni nnovki malasobuni - The moon is bright at night
- Kuima
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Lexember 4

téthú n. 'sea, ocean, gulf'

Lexember 5

ĝádra n. 'snake (general term)'

Lexember 6

îd n. n. 'brain, brain matter'

Lexember 7

admhor ad. 'feisty, testy, reactive, vindictive'

Lexember 8

ögduĝ ad. 'impatient, frustrated, aggravated, sick to death of bureaucracy'

Lexember 9

dûs n. 'elbow, joint, bend'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 9
ma?-ciŋiw n.host; landlord

ma?-ɳupkaw n. guest; tenant
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 10
ti1 - No! (negative response to a positive polar question)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 10 - Yélian

ʻilynaivut [ˈʔilʃnaɪ̯vʉt] - eye contact
gacúlʻacanem [gɐˈkulˌʔaːkɐnəm] - eye contact (flirting, erotic)

Etymology I: from ʻily "glimpse. glance" + naivut "contact"
Etymology II: from gacúl "eye" + ʻacan "spicy" + dual suffix -em.

USAGE NOTES: the word gacúlʻagan is always in dual.

Broyan, vat áia pas apubat evan yanat yitispereyet gacúlʻacanem fecun rat! Barcai tan raperbicai?
[ˈbɾoːʃɐn, vɐt ˈaːɪ̯ɐ pas ɐˈpuːbɐt ˈeːʋɐn ˈʃaːnɐt ɕɨtɨspəˈɾeːʃət gɐˈkulˌʔaːkɐnəm ˈɸeːkʉn ɾat! ˈbaɾkaɪ̯ tan ɾɐpəɾˈbiːkaɪ̯]
dude, DEM woman on seat opposite 1PLIN.OBL PST-just_now-INGR-make-3SG spicy_eyes with 1SG.OBL | ask-1SG 3SG.FEM.OBL PROP-approach-1SG
Dude, this woman on the seat on the opposite site just totally made eye contact with me! Should I approach her?

Gacúlʻacanem? Namo, otéi yibicei, apuet evan yanat. Ianmarifreyat ʻilynaivut fecun sat carbetál - è rat, vay.
[gɐˈkulˌʔaːkɐnəm? ˈnaːmɔ̈, ɔ̈ˈtɛɪ̯ ɕɨˈbiːkɛɪ̯, ɐˈpuː.ət ˈeːʋɐn ˈʃaːnɐt. ɪ̯ɐnˌmaɾɨˈɾeːʃɐt ˈʔɨlʃˈnaɪ̯ʋʉt ˈɸeːkʉn sat kɐɾbəˈtaːl - ɛ ɾɑt, vaʃ]
spicy_eyes? brother, how PST-say-2SG, sit-3SG across 1PLIN.OBL. NEC-inevitably-make-JUS.3SG eye_contact with 2SG.OBL - and 1SG.OBL, by_the_way
Eye contact? Bro, as you said, she is sitting on the opposite side of us. She basically doesn't have a choice to occasionally make eye contact with you - or with me, for that matter.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 10

Hannaito (Entry 10):

ërhoyeu /ɘrhojeu/ [ˈʔɘɾˌɦo.jeu̯]
Noun:
1. the head of a regional deliberative/legislative assembly in traditional Hannaichë society
2. the head of the main, national Hannaichë deliberative/legislative assembly
3. someone holding a similar position in a foreign government

Etymology
Literally "laughing mouth" or "auspicious leader".
From ër "to laugh; to be happy; to celebrate; to be auspicious; to bloom" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *lir "to laugh, to smile") + hoyeu "mouth; face; portion (of food); gateway; river delta; vow; speaker, orator, leader" (< PH *hoyel "mouth, lips, face, speech").
Usage notes
Virtually all speakers of Hannaito are (currently) united under the rule of a single political entity, which is governed by a deliberative/legislative assembly in conjunction with an elected monarch. The head of the assembly, known as the ërhoyeu, is tasked with moderating debates, resolving conflicts, and announcing the results of votes, among other things. The role of the ërhoyeu at an assembly meeting originates from, and still largely resembles, that of the ërchë - host, organizer, and/or sponsor - at a traditional local festival.

Old Visigothic (Entry 10):

uuedethia /ˈwɛːˌdeːdja/ [ˈwɛːˌdeːð(i)jɑ], [ˈwɛi̯ˌdie̯ð(i)jɑ]
Noun:
1. evildoer, scoundrel, rascal, miscreant, villain, ne'er-do-well
2. thief, robber, looter, bandit, extortionist
3. criminal

Alternative forms
uuei-, uuai-, ue-, uei-, uai-, gue-, guei-, guai-
-diethia, -dithia, -dedhia, -diedhia, -didhia, -dedia, -diedia, -didia
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *wai + *dēdiz + *-jô. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐍅𐌰𐌹𐌳𐌴𐌳𐌾𐌰 (waidēdja).

galigri /gaˈligri/ [ɣɑˈliɣ.ɾi]
Noun:
1. sex, intercourse
2. consummation, the first instance of sexual intercourse between two people following their marriage
3. sharing a bed

Alternative forms
galegri, galigre, galegre, galiri, galeiri, galire, galeire
Etymology
Ultimately from Proto-Germanic *galigriją. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌲𐌰𐌻𐌹𐌲𐍂𐌹 (galigri).
Usage notes
galigri typically refers to sexual intercourse for the purpose of procreation between a man and a woman who are married to one another. Various other kinds of sexual behavior traditionally deemed "inappropriate" or "illicit" may be referred to as agleiti "fornication, perversion, promiscuity, lewdness, lustfulness" (< PGmc. *agalaitį̄), uornas "adultery, prostitution" (compare Biblical Gothic 𐌷𐍉𐍂𐌹𐌽𐌰𐍃𐍃𐌿𐍃 (hōrinassus)), and calcenas "prostitution, fornication, adultery, lechery, perversion, promiscuity" (compare Biblical Gothic 𐌺𐌰𐌻𐌺𐌹𐌽𐌰𐍃𐍃𐌿𐍃 (kalkinassus)).
(she)
Johnathan_4
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Johnathan_4 »

Class:
Lexember 7: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: æftɐ́l = occultist (one who possess hidden knowledge).

Types of people:
Lexember 8: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: tɐkʰ -witch

Lexember 9: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: æftɐ́loli = Sage (a man or woman who has attained wisdom).

Lexember 10: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word:
obitɐkɐnɐ - (a biological male person who has the soul and spirit of the female).
obotɐkɐnɐ - (a biological female person who has the soul and spirit of the male).
NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL, GET UP, DRESS UP. SHOW UP, AND NEVER GIVE UP. [:D]
tokibuni
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tokibuni »

Lexember 2022 - Day 10

Kuima

Favor - kizon [ki.ʒon]
N: A service, typically without payment.
Verb: To do a favor. To help or give, in terms of a transactional service, without benefit to one's own person.
- Kuima
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 4

subiya: non-binary
su X sub Y, neither X nor Y + iya, gender

Ab hel subiya, belaw nedi kopi zu bi yishi ab.
1s COP non-binary so just person DEP IMPRTV call 1s
I am non-binary, so just call me a person.

NEW GRAMMAR: The postposition zu marks a depictive object complement. It can come after either a noun or an adjective:

Ana lawapho zu yishi mudakh.
Ana buffoon DEP call president
Ana called the president a buffoon.

Zakh akob wawi zu eleni Azepha.
Zach very intelligent DEP consider Azepha
Zach considers Azepha very intelligent.

DAY 5

huweshodi: nationality
huwesh, country, nation, land + odi, identity

Bi nekaw peshid ba azep, dash, iya, huweshodi phon.
IMPRTV list everyone of name age gender nationality POST&
Please list everyone's name, age, gender, and nationality.

Bonus word: nekaw: (T) to list

NEW GRAMMAR: When you combine three or more items serially, place a comma between each successive two, and use the postconjunction phon at the end:

Nidan, phomi, mawa, bayopa phon ño ab hoshuph khehi.
flour sugar water yolk POST& with 1s make cake
I made the cake with flour, sugar, water, and yolks.

DAY 6

sedekh: number (for telephone, ansible, etc.)

Yeph nakap ba sedekh hel hipa phodu!
that ansible of number COP quite long
That's quite a long ansible number!

DAY 7

dephipidopukomen: veganism
dephipidopukomeni: vegan
deph, no, none + pidop, to steal + komen, to eat; a reference to "stolen products" (-i is a suffix to form adherents of ideologies/religions)

Yeph dephipidopukomeni khilas ba koyanuhopshuphash milad pamun bayopa.
this vegan food of manufacturer never use yolk
This vegan food manufacturer never uses egg yolks.

Bonus words: koyanuhoshuph: (T) to manufacture (koyan, factory + hoshuph, to make)
koyanuhopshuphash: manufacturer (koyanuhoshuph + -ash, agent noun suffix)

DAY 8

iza: worker

Iza ba nasod hel yeph ziñad ba kol layal.
worker of right(s) COP that revolution of main issue
The rights of workers was the chief issue of that revolution.

Bonus word: kol, main, chief

DAY 9

donakhiza: barista
donakh, coffee + iza

Ab pa Sedaba da sinep Phalapudashino da donakhiza.
1s for Sedaba 1* pour Frappuccino *1 barista
Sedaba, the barista, poured me a Frappuccino.

Bonus word: Phalapudashino: Frappuccino (Terran borrowing)

NEW GRAMMAR: When a footnote clause is used with a noun or nouns only, no verbs, it marks an appositive:

Depukh has ab ba nasak da bosakh wan da Shakhol.
university from 1s of sister 1* home come *1 Shakhol
My sister Shakhol is coming home from university.

DAY 10

paba: toddler
Origin in baby talk

Od ba zikemal paba ñoyoy khibe Shaleyob hophay ba phedu.
3p of zikmaltak toddler listen_to old Shaleyan folk_music of song
The toddlers listened to some old Shaleyan folk songs on their zikmaltaks.

Bonus word: hophay: folk (music)

A zikmaltak is a portable media player (kind of like an iPod) invented on the planet Keitel. It has a zikchan -- a keyboard (also found on cellphones, ansibles, etc.) that goes into another dimension when inside to save space. Think of the way the TARDIS or alien spacecraft seem much bigger inside than outside. Shaleyan zikemal is a loanword from the Achel (lingua franca of Keitel) word zikmaltak, from zik (fold, wrinkle, as in zikchan (fold-panel)) + mal (to play, like playing music or playing an instrument) + -tak, an agent noun suffix.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 89,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 10
ma?-yawuɻkawulpinim n. city dweller; urbanite

ma?-lat̪atawulpinim n. rural dweller (specifically outside any city limits)

Literals.
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 29 Dec 2022 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 11 - Yélian

valtcîyia [vɐlˈtiːɕɪ̯ɐ] - to reform, revamp, reshape
Etymology: val(i)t "again" + cîyia "to shape, mold, change"

A'valarnúm o'Braveyélian evanbálotet vigo æ'casgar o'celitleaun ravaltcîyiut.
[ɐˌvaːlɐɾˈnuːm ɔ̈ˈbɾaːʋəˌʃeːlɪ̯ɐn ˌeːʋɐnˈbaːlɔ̈tət ˈviːgɔ̈ əˈkasgɐd̟ ɔ̈ˌkeːlɨtˈleː.aʊ̯n ɾɐvɐlˈtiːʃɪ̯ʉt]
DEF.ANIM=parliament DEF.GEN=Kingdom-Yélian debate-3SG if DEF.CONC=system DEF.GEN=pension-PL PROP-reform-INV.3SG.INAN
The Shellian parliament are debating whether the pension system should be reformed.

New word for the example sentence:

evanbálota [ˌeːʋɐnˈbaːlɔ̈tɐ] - to debate (in a governing body)
Etymology: evan "against" + bálota "to argument, to reason"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 11

Hannaito (Entry 11):

wouna /wouna/ [ˈwoː.na]
Verb (Intransitive):
1. (of a liquid) to freeze, to solidify
2. to harden, to stiffen
3. to be motionless
4. to become stronger, to become impervious
5. to be very cold
6. (of a plan) to come together, to take shape
7. to be out of ideas, to have no clue

Alternative forms
woona
Etymology
From Proto-Hannaitoan *wawna "to be slow, to slow down, to freeze".

Old Visigothic (Entry 11):

fada /ˈfada/ [ˈɸɑ.ðɑ]
Noun:
1. fence, barrier
2. boundary, border, limit
3. hedge

Alternative forms
fadha, fatha
Etymology
Possibly from a Proto-Germanic *faþo-. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐍆𐌰𐌸𐌰 (faþa).

Now that we're beginning Week 3 of Lexember, I've taken some time to read through and comment on what other participants have posted for Week 2. I won't necessarily comment on every single entry, but hopefully I haven't accidentally missed anyone's work entirely.

VaptuantaDoi:
Spoiler:
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52 There's a few resources that I'm using – mostly academic papers, alongside Glossaire étymologique et comparatif du patois picard, ancien et moderne by Jules Corblet (1851), which lists the variants of piot, as well as wiktionary and picard wikipedia. There's also picartext, which is good for seing examples in context, although it has its flaws.
Thank you very much! [:D]
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 04 Dec 2022 03:59 Vissard derives its names for only one of the four seasons from Latin – that's ivene /iˈven/ "winter". The other three are all borrowings from Old English - ceünme /ˈsø̃m/ "summer", ervest /eˈveː/ "autumn" and lente /ˈlɛ̃nt/ "spring" from sumor, hærfest and lencten respectively. A lot of agricultural terms are borrowings from Old English, such as fette "wheat" (hwǣte), sule "plough" (sulh) and bere "barley" (bere).
I love how the names of the seasons in Vissard look and sound, particularly ceünme! Just in general, I always find it interesting when Romance languages deviate from the "normal" Latin-derived names for the months and seasons, so I also appreciate the inclusion of Picard apréseut.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 04 Dec 2022 03:59 Historically there were three clans of the Ai people, who engaged in occasional warfare between themselves and with clans from other language groups. Within living memory, these clans reconciled and settled in the Ai villages. The three clans – Bauitadu, Togoi (literally "crooked") and Údégúd ("fruit bat") – are still quite important social distinctions; historically the Bauitadu were the largest and most powerful, and they still often hold positions of prestige. Names can also be distinguished based on clan.
Údégúd "fruit bat" is an excellent name, but I feel a bit bad for the Togoi, unless "crooked" has rather different connotations in Ai culture. Sorry if it's been explained elsewhere, but what does Bauitadu mean?
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52 The Presnons – English name Brinons – were the sole inhabitants of Vissey before the Romans settled in the early first century AD. They remained as a minority group for a millenium, but eventually integrated entirely into the Vissard population. Their language is poorly recorded (there are no mentions of it being spoken after the 16th century), although a counting system of Brinonian origin was used by Vissard shepherds up until the late 20th century.
Cool! I'm particularly a fan of the last bit about the (presumably) yan tan tethera-style counting system.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52
Kiid gu Dáa wrote: Ód ido "Kiid gu Dáa" gásaid, i tebií gasaid bo i kiid daa daa.
[ɔ́ɾ ìɾɔ̀ kìːɾɡù dâː ɡásài̯ɾ | ì tɛ̀βǐː ɡàsài̯ɾbɔ̀ ì kìːɾ dàːɾàː]
ɔdH idɔL kiidL=ɡu daa-HL ɡasaid-HL, iL tɛbiiLH ɡasaid-L=bɔ iL kiidL daa~daa-L
name 1SG.POSS frog=PAT eat-IPFV stand-IPFV, 1SG child stand-IPFV.COMPL=TOP 1SG frog eat~eat-IPFV.COMPL

"My name is Kiid gu Dáa [eats frogs], (because) when I was a child I ate lots of frogs."
Absolutely fantastic.

Also, I love how many of your example sentences are quotes attributed to specific people!
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52 Proper names don't exist as a separate category in Ai; they are much more transparent and subject to change than Western-style names – more akin to an English nickname. This is highlighted by how Ai uses an alienable possessive construction for the name; it is something that can be lost or exchanged, not a permanent attribute.
Mostly names consist of a noun (Hii "hair"), an adjective (Kui "deep"), or a noun and adjective (Kuéid Átá "wet head"), more rarely a verb phrase (Hi Gu Kéi Kad "doesn't pound sago"). Names are generally given to children at the age of two or three years, and are based on physical appearance, actions or events – for example Hi Gu Kéi Kad was named such because she refused to pound sago when all the other women were doing so. Names can change during one's lifetime, and names are given to outsiders upon their arrival even though they have a name already. Recently, Biblical names have become popular amongst the largely Christianised Ai, e.g. Abidaha (Abraham), Dabíd (David); Indonesian names are also somewhat common, like Hasád (Hasan), Basukí (Basuki); or even Indonesian words or phrases in the style of Ai names (Porúd from perut "stomach", Kébáda Besád from kepala besar "big head"). To disambiguate, as I mentioned earlier, the clan name can be used, or the name of the village.

(For more information on how names are formed in Iau, which is similar to Ai in this respect, check out this pdf which contains an interesting article by Helen Miehle.)
Very interesting! Thanks for including the link.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52 dlangwinggi [ˈɖ͡ɭɑŋʷeᵑɡe] v. (transitive) Throw an object; mention, specify; brag about. (intransitive); boast, brag; gossip.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 05 Dec 2022 11:52 défuncter [defœ̃(k)ˈte], [defɛ̃(k)ˈte] v. To die. Rouchi variant défunker [defœ̃ˈke]. Compare obsolete French slang défuncter; from Old French défun(c)t, borrowed from Latin DĒFUNCTUS, past participle of DĒFUNGĪ "finish, carry out".
Oh, these are both quite fun! I appreciate the Picard conjugation table as well.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 06 Dec 2022 01:42 Traditional Vissard butchers (bokeries) are somewhere between English and French ones; up until the mid-20th century there were hundreds of small butcher's shops which served their local area and specialised entirely in meat. More recently, they have been in decline due to the convenience of supermarkets, although some specialists remain. Bokeries would sell cuts of meat, primarily lamb (cheppe), beef (koul), pork (sune) and chicken (chike), as well as sausages, cured meats and some charcuterie products (kankuterie) like pâtés (peceats) and forcemeat (farchiskane). Game meats – venison (érot), pheasant (vorane), rabbit (are) and goose (gus) – were all sold at a different shop, a gubiter.
There's a slang term for a butcher's, tékurie, which derives from sékure "sawdust", referring to how traditional butcher's shops covered their floors with sawdust to soak up blood.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 06 Dec 2022 01:42 daginti [ˈɖɑɡeᶯʈe] v. Fish.
yadaga [ˈjɑɖɐɡɐ] n.I Fisherman.
dlhidaga [ˈd̻͡l̻iɖɐɡɐ] n.II 1) Type of arrow with a wooden tip hardened in fire used specifically to hunt fish. 2) Bird species akin to a kingfisher.
dnadaga [ˈɖ͡ɳɑɖɐɡɐ] n.III A type of plant with a soapy sap which can be used to poison fish; or the sap derived from this plant.
Ghadaga [ˈɰɑɖɐɡɐ] n.IV A geographical location, so named because of the many flat boulders which have the appearance of fish scales.
dadaga [ˈɖɑɖɐɡɐ] v. Catch fish using dnadaga poison.
Excellent!
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 07 Dec 2022 12:28 One of Vissey's oldest industires is wool; shepherds (kintards) have been raising sheep primarily for wool since pre-Roman times. As a protection against the cold winters, shepherds' wives traditionally wove tweed (jutate¹) to make cloaks (kitiches²) for their husbands. Later this was mechanised during the Industrial Revolution and became a popular export.

¹ From Middle Vissard uitate, wiutate, Old Vissard wiltate, feminine past participle of the unattested verb *wiltar "roll", borrowed from Old Enlgish wieltan.
² A variant of teskit "knitted", from the verb tiskir, ultimately from TEXERE "to weave", with the conjugation based on a metathesised form of the perfect TEXUĪ.
Very cool! If I might ask, what's the etymology of kintards?
Iyionaku:
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 05 Dec 2022 17:22
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 To clarify, by "(coll.)", do you mean "colloquial"?
Exactly! Like, it's not vulgar or anything, but most people wouldn't use the standard language word vesédamon in everyday language.
Understood! Thanks for the explanation. I just wanted to double check because I originally interpreted it as "collective", so I was a bit confused until I realized "colloquial" would make more sense. [:)]
Iyionaku wrote: 05 Dec 2022 17:22 denial [ˈdeːnɪ̯ɐl] - planning [And yes, there are absolutely memes about that false friend in Yélian culture]
Etymology: denia "to plan" + nominalizer suffix -l
Fun!
Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2022 08:29 tunasé [t̚ʉnɐˈseː] - (political) party
Etymology: tunasé "interest", as in a group of people with a shared interest.
Oh, nice! "(special) interest (group)" > "(political) party" definitely makes sense. Also, is the initial consonant of tunasé meant to be marked as unreleased?
Iyionaku wrote: 04 Dec 2022 08:46 brazoro [bɾɐˈɟoːɾɔ̈] - trial, hearing (Southern Standard)
bràtioro [ˈbɾɐtɪ̯ɔ̈ɾo] - trial, hearing (Northern Standard)

Etymology: from braz/bràt- "old prefix indicating principality" + oro "hammer", literally "main hammer"
Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2022 08:29 ariysvǽr [ˌaːɾa̯iːˈsvœd̟] - compromise
Etymology: ariy "at least, halfway" + svær "promise", literally "half a promise".
Iyionaku wrote: 10 Dec 2022 10:30 ʻilynaivut [ˈʔilʃnaɪ̯vʉt] - eye contact
gacúlʻacanem [gɐˈkulˌʔaːkɐnəm] - eye contact (flirting, erotic)

Etymology I: from ʻily "glimpse. glance" + naivut "contact"
Etymology II: from gacúl "eye" + ʻacan "spicy" + dual suffix -em.

USAGE NOTES: the word gacúlʻagan is always in dual.
I'm particularly fond of these etymologies!
Iyionaku wrote: 08 Dec 2022 07:35 Like all words referring to money, it's in the inanimate class, as opposed to the conceptual class. This is despite it not being a touchable object.
Is this due to the connection between the concept of money and tangible coins, etc.?
Iyionaku wrote: 08 Dec 2022 07:35 alén [ɐˈleːn] - popular
Etymology: cross-derived from a root *hln, cognates include len "beautiful", uleo "person", or alan "picture", perhaps even yéliun "moon" and from there the language endonym Yélian.
Very cool!
Iyionaku wrote: 09 Dec 2022 07:15 yarciys [ˈʃaɾka̯iːs] - citizen (unspecific), townsfolk, resident. Also (military jargon:) member of the armed forces
acadyarciys [ˌaːkɐdˈʃaɾka̯iːs] - citizen (of a state)
acadyarcafi [ˌaːkɐdʃɐˈɾaːɸi] - citizenship

Etymology I: from yarca "to belong to, be a member of" + nominalizer -iys, originally with a meaning of "warrior". This is a relic of the former military past of the Kingdom of Shelliania, which required all male citizens to be ready for war at all times. Being a soldier was synonymous to being a citizen of a city or the kingdom.
Interesting!
qwed117:
Spoiler:
qwed117 wrote: 04 Dec 2022 10:58 Lexember 4
kha1-'a3 - dry sweet, candy; from Pali सक्खरा, likely from a Khmer form like *skɑhɑ

For some reason, the concept of genre easily made me think of sweets, as a genre of food. :)
This post inspired part of my 4th entry (having a single word for "genre (of music, literature, etc.)" and "type of food, style of cooking"), since I don't think I'd ever read or heard the phrase "genre of food" before. [:D]
qwed117 wrote: 05 Dec 2022 13:34 I haven't quite decided if it's a transdimensional portal, or whatever, but yeah, I think that for now, the Hlaitype A-Priori is meant to be spoken on Earth, even if only in an althistory.
Interesting either way! Thanks for the explanation.
qwed117 wrote: 09 Dec 2022 04:06 Had a final on the seventh (went rough)
I'm sorry to hear that! [D:]
qwed117 wrote: 09 Dec 2022 04:06 Lexember 8
khwön1 - bitterness, pungency, especially of otherwise sweet things, eg. orange rinds.
I'm particularly fond of this word.
Jackk:
Spoiler:
Jackk wrote: 05 Dec 2022 16:24 Thanks as always for the commentary on everyone's Lexembers, I at least really appreciate it [<3] Correct on all counts—Horther refers to a region of Norway (cf. Hordaland), while Bavarn means "Bavarian" [:)]
Oh, thank you! I'm glad to hear that. [:D] I appreciate your explanation of the names as well. I figured "Bavarn" was probably "Bavarian", but I can't claim to have been familiar with Hordaland.
Jackk wrote: 04 Dec 2022 14:42 orin "homeland"

orin /oˈrɪn/ [ʊˈʀɪn]
- homeland, hometown, origins, the place where one was born or which one considers to be home;
- pedigree, ancestry, heritage, lineage, one's family background and the traditions and customs one has as a virtue of the place and people one was born to;

Etymology: via Old Boral orin, oriȝn "breeding, heritage" from Latin orīgō, orīginem "commencement, origination, (particularly) birth", from which also comes the later reborrowing origin "source, origin, beginning". Used metonymically to refer to the place of one's birth since the fourteenth century.
Doublets like this are always a lot of fun!
Jackk wrote: 06 Dec 2022 16:17 laundar "slip"

laundar /lonˈdar/ [lʊnˈdɑː]
- slip, skid, slide, glide, to move along a slippery surface without traction;
- trip, stumble, stagger, to walk clumsily so as to (almost) fall over;
- err, misspeak, misstep, to be mistaken about something;
- pass, elapse, (of time) to be spent, especially without one achieving anything of import

Etymology: from Old Boral laundar "slip, err", either from an unattested synonymous Latin verb *lābundō or a contemporary verbal derivation of laund "slippery, unsteady" (the modern launt "slip, misstep, faux pas" is likely a later deverbal from the Middle Boral period). In either case the word originates with Latin lābundus "slippery", participial form of deponent verb lābor "I slip, sink, vanish, err".
Jackk wrote: 07 Dec 2022 18:42 garaf "grip"

garaf /gaˈraf/ [gɐˈʀaf]
- grip, friction, purchase, the state of being able to hold onto something without slipping;
- handhold, foothold, handle, part of a surface which allows one to hold on so as not to be moved;
- help, assistance, encouragement, physical or emotional aid from somebody that enables one not to fail;
- mastery, understanding, competence, the state of having learnt everything about something so that one can act with confidence in that domain

Etymology: from Middle Boral garaf "grip, handle", a borrowing from Portingale garafa "handle", of indeterminate origin. Either an alteration of earlier grafio, garfio "hook", from Latin graphium "stylus, pen", or else borrowed from Andalus Arabic جَارْفَا‎ (gárfá) "handful, claw".
I like the various meanings covered by these words!
DesEsseintes:
Spoiler:
DesEsseintes wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:34 chul (n.) - person
I like the look and sound of chul as the word for "person"!
DesEsseintes wrote: 09 Dec 2022 05:17 Thank you for commenting, shimobaatar! Like others have mentioned, it is appreciated!
Oh, thank you! I'm happy to hear that. [:)]
DesEsseintes wrote: 09 Dec 2022 05:17
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 I assume that "wosh" in the example is a form of the pronoun "won"?
Correct! The topic marker is -sh and attached to most consonant-final words with a linking vowel, in the case of the first person pronoun yielding wonosh. The reduced form wosh has almost entirely supplanted it though.
DesEsseintes wrote: 09 Dec 2022 05:17 Vowel harmony applies when the ending attached to a vowel-final stem. When it attached to a consonant-final word an epenthetic vowel is inserted and there is no vowel harmony

As for the second question, again your keen intuition is on point. The animacy of the fish can be indicated by the use of an appropriate classifier. This sentence happens not to have one though. Interestingly, if a classifier is used to disambiguate, the -nun ending attaches to the classifier.
Very nice! Thank you for the explanations.
DesEsseintes wrote: 09 Dec 2022 05:17 Kinda forgot about Lexember. Might take part next week with Chhuowota.
I look forward to seeing Chhuowota if you do decide to use it next week, but no pressure, naturally!
Knox Adjacent:
Spoiler:
Knox Adjacent wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:42
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 If I might ask, what do you mean by "derivational fate"?
I'm rather sparse on numerals right now and this one may end up as a pronominal trial affix and a random compound element like as in below, rather than continue to be a free word.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification.
Knox Adjacent wrote: 03 Dec 2022 06:04 I love incorporation. Very useful.
[+1]
Knox Adjacent wrote: 05 Dec 2022 06:07 Day 4
ma?-wuɭukuran̪an n. extended family
Literally "bone-same-NMLZ"
Does ma?- mean "bone"? I've noticed it's shown up in some of your other entries as well. Or is "bone-same-NMLZ" just for wuɭukuran̪an?

Also, "those of the same bone" (approximately) for "extended family" is great.
Knox Adjacent wrote: 08 Dec 2022 14:08 Day 7
ma?-n̪ipilpinim
A very blah work-give-er
"work-give-er" as in "employer", or something else?
tokibuni:
Spoiler:
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Reduplication is one of my favorite processes. I can't get enough of it! One of these days, I'm going to get around to doing a conlang that relies heavily on it (this one already uses it quite a bit). [:D]
[+1]
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Sexuality & Gender
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Gender/Sex/Gender Identity - Not comprehensive for modern LGBT+ terms.
I found the distinctions that Kuima makes between different kinds of sexual activity based on purpose and context quite interesting! I originally misinterpreted "not comprehensive for modern LGBT+ terms" as meaning that there wouldn't be any such terms, so it was a pleasant surprise, so to speak, to see words for "bigender", "transgender", "nonbinary", "intersex", etc. I particularly enjoyed the note about generational differences regarding the word foko.
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Sexuality is viewed by the type of person one is attracted to without their own gender taken into consideration. Rather than English Hetero/Homosexual, you get Male-Oriented and Female-Oriented. Person-Oriented could mean Bi or Pan, or anything else that could apply to attraction that isn't male or female only. No-Orientation is asexual. The system isn't comprehensive in modern LGBT+ terms.

Sexuality is also specifically for physical attraction. There are separate concepts for romantic attraction. When speaking about sexuality, base sexuality is assumed to also include the same romantic sexuality (Male-Oriented physical attraction is assumed to mean they also hold such romantic attractions). If it differs, one would also mention the romantic sexuality at the same time. This doesn't work the other way. Romantic sexuality is not assumed to infer physical attraction based sexuality.
I think this is an interesting and reasonable way to have speakers of a conlang describe things differently than English speakers typically do! I've considered something like the "a person's own gender isn't taken into account for their sexuality" system myself. [:D]
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:43 Care - jan [jan]
V: To feel deeply about someone or something’s well being. To wish that someone well. To be concerned about a matter.
Note: This can not be used for physically taking care of someone. The word for that was already established before Lexember, zamu.
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 18:50 Share - ttifi [ʈi.fi]
V: Split something of one's own with another. Reveal mental states or decisions to another (thoughts, emotions, decisions, etc.).
tokibuni wrote: 09 Dec 2022 01:48 Protect - tlito [tɬi.to]
V: Keep something safe, whether it be physical, emotional, etc.
tokibuni wrote: 11 Dec 2022 00:01 Favor - kizon [ki.ʒon]
N: A service, typically without payment.
Verb: To do a favor. To help or give, in terms of a transactional service, without benefit to one's own person.
I'm particularly fond of these words.
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 18:50 I should share my carrot with the horse.
uf ttifi nutäs tak flitäs knot vu äitli
OBLI share NOM-1SG carrot GEN-1SG with DEF horse
Note: OBLI = Obligative mood. I'm still debating if I should use the Dative for the "with" clause here.
tokibuni wrote: 09 Dec 2022 01:48 We had to protect the worms from the birds while we were fishing.
is uf tlito nui vu iu jals äsu vu iu sifa flump dofa vam nui
PFV OBL protect NOM-1PL DEF PL worm against DEF PL bird while IMPFV-PST fish NOM-1PL
I particularly enjoyed these example sentences as well!
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:43 Couple (Join) - toin [to.in]
N: A pair of something. Inanimate things only.
V: To join
Note: I made the word for “couple” only to realize how similar it was when I also applied it to “join.”
Ah, I certainly know the feeling (regarding the accidental similarity between toin and "join").
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:43 Couple (Join) - ddunn [ɖuɳ]
N: A pair of something. Animate only.
V: To join.
The way that Kuima represents its retroflex consonants in writing is one thing that helps give the language a rather distinctive look, in my opinion!
Titus Flavius:
Spoiler:
Titus Flavius wrote: 05 Dec 2022 01:50 Lescembel 4 — Abaniscen

inanayleynathose living in the upper parts of an (amphitheater-shaped) Abaniscen city. Nobles (cacornemor) and richest of the hicornemor can live there, in vast multi-story residences carved into the walls of the city.
inanaysibinathose living in the middle parts of a city. Most hicornemor and some macornemor live there. The middle levels of the city are the most populated.
inanaycamnathose living in the lower parts of a city. The bottom level of the cities is inhabited by the macornemor, and, among them, workers working with fire are in the lowest position.
Very interesting!
Titus Flavius wrote: 06 Dec 2022 16:00 Lescembel 6 — Abaniscen

cuhmi [kṹːɸy] — age
icuhmiyara [ikũɸỹ́ːnəɾa] — fourteen year old
Is 14 a culturally significant age?
Man in Space:
Spoiler:
Man in Space wrote: 05 Dec 2022 02:18 Lexember 4

sadkid (pl. asdigid) 'communiqué, message, memo; (plural) news; (plural) one's correspondence'
I like the difference between the singular and plural forms, as well as the word's additional meanings when used in the plural.
Man in Space wrote: 09 Dec 2022 23:50 Lexember 4

téthú n. 'sea, ocean, gulf'

Lexember 5

ĝádra n. 'snake (general term)'

Lexember 6

îd n. n. 'brain, brain matter'

Lexember 7

admhor ad. 'feisty, testy, reactive, vindictive'

Lexember 8

ögduĝ ad. 'impatient, frustrated, aggravated, sick to death of bureaucracy'

Lexember 9

dûs n. 'elbow, joint, bend'
I quite like the look of all of these words!
spanick:
Spoiler:
spanick wrote: 05 Dec 2022 18:50
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 Cool! For the Yemya entry, are these monastic orders or something similar?
Kind of. The yaśthor are priests, the śvana are monks, and the jauśthor are shamans. They all share a common foundational conception of the gods and myths found in the two foundational texts of Taivthaism, but they go about the practice of the religion differently and each have additional texts they employ to these ends. Put simply, the yaśthor are hierarchical and organized and do a lot of public ritual. The śvana are contemplatives and often quite separate from society. The jauśthor are more egalitarian and their practice is more immanent. They are often the most common among every day people for every day sorts of religious/magical needs.
Oh, cool! Thank you for the explanation. [:D]
spanick wrote: 08 Dec 2022 05:01 vatśasthar /ʋɑt͡ɕɑstʰɑɾ/ “astrology, astronomy” Formed from vatśa “knowledge” and asthar “star”. The Yemya developed a somewhat unique astrological tradition built upon influence of Chinese astrology, Indian astrology, and Hellenistic astrology.
spanick wrote: 08 Dec 2022 05:01 śeltha /ɕeltʰɑ/ n. “planet” shortening of asthar śeltha literally “moving star” and as in Ancient Greek and pre-modern astronomy, this was applied to all astronomical bodies that moved relative to the fixed stars. This would have included the two laukha “lights” sośva “the Sun” and mena “the Moon.”
spanick wrote: 09 Dec 2022 00:45 seśthor /seɕtʰoɾ/ “Mercury” literally “following [the Sun]”
śukhra /ɕukʰɾɑ/ “Venus” literally “bright”
rudra /ɾudɾɑ/ “Mars” literally “red”
photś /pʰot͡ɕ/ “Jupiter” literally “master, ruler, lord”
śyava /ɕjɑʋɑ/ “Saturn” literally “dim”
Very interesting!
spanick wrote: 08 Dec 2022 05:01 Estweddisch: tschórl /d͡ʒœɾl/ cn. pl. -es “Fellow, chum, man (of equal social standing), friend, guy, freeman (obsolete)”. Cognate to English churl and German Kerl.

Hawannis: tschor /d͡ʒɔː/ cn. pl. -wes
spanick wrote: 09 Dec 2022 00:45 Estweddisch: ruin /ɾœʏn/ nn. pl. “mystery, secret”

Hawannis: irüün /ɪɹyːn/ nn. pl. -es
I like being able to compare these two Weddisch varieties with one another. I'm particularly fond of the look and sound of Hawannis tschor and irüün.
Johnathan_4:
Spoiler:
Johnathan_4 wrote: 05 Dec 2022 23:17 æfʃtɐ = elite
æfɲɪn= nobility
Johnathan_4 wrote: 10 Dec 2022 20:44 Lexember 7: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: æftɐ́l = occultist (one who possess hidden knowledge).
Johnathan_4 wrote: 10 Dec 2022 20:44 Lexember 9: Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: æftɐ́loli = Sage (a man or woman who has attained wisdom).
Is æf- a prefix used to form words for certain kinds of people?
KarakTea:
Spoiler:
KarakTea wrote: 07 Dec 2022 15:08 Sorry for missing so much Lexember here on CBB!
No apologies necessary! You're free to participate in whichever way you'd most prefer. [:)]

I quite like the look of Shadzire, by the way.
KarakTea wrote: 07 Dec 2022 15:08 Going to do some kinship terms, so here are the ones I have already:

pápa [ˈpá.pɐ] - n. father
mómo [ˈmó.mɵ] - n. mother
edém [ɘˈdém] - n. brother
yága [ˈjá.gɐ] - n. sister

And now some new ones:

papá [pɐˈpá] - n. grandfather
mani [mɐˈní] - n. grandmother
I love pápa "father" vs. papá "grandfather", though I quite enjoy that the words for "mother" (mómo) and "grandmother" (maní, not *momó) don't follow the same pattern, so to speak.
KarakTea wrote: 07 Dec 2022 15:08 gine [ˈgí.nɘ] - n. cousin (either side)
yōzumo [jɵːˈzú.mɵ] - n. m. aunt's children
junod [ˈd͡zú.nɵd] - n. m. uncle's children
yōzuba [jɵːˈzú.bɐ] - n. p. aunt's children
šōduč [ʃɵːˈdút͡ʃ] - n. p. uncle's children
These are all gender-neutral terms, it seems?
Khemehekis:
Spoiler:
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2022 17:21
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Dec 2022 16:24 Is "single" derived similarly from "one"?
Nope! "Single" is pemiz, an unanalyzable word. Just like supob, first, is unanalyzable.
Ah, not too surprising. Thanks for your response! [:)]
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Dec 2022 02:48 NEW GRAMMAR: The postposition zu marks a depictive object complement. It can come after either a noun or an adjective:

Ana lawapho zu yishi mudakh.
Ana buffoon DEP call president
Ana called the president a buffoon.

Zakh akob wawi zu eleni Azepha.
Zach very intelligent DEP consider Azepha
Zach considers Azepha very intelligent.
Interesting!
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Dec 2022 02:48 Bonus word: Phalapudashino: Frappuccino (Terran borrowing)
What's the origin of -da- in phalapudashino, if I might ask?
(she)
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

shimobaatar wrote: 11 Dec 2022 14:17
Spoiler:

Knox Adjacent wrote: 05 Dec 2022 06:07 Day 4
ma?-wuɭukuran̪an n. extended family
Literally "bone-same-NMLZ"
Does ma?- mean "bone"? I've noticed it's shown up in some of your other entries as well. Or is "bone-same-NMLZ" just for wuɭukuran̪an?

Also, "those of the same bone" (approximately) for "extended family" is great.
ma- is a class prefix. The ? often with it is me being indecisive about the appropriateness of the class.
wuɭu-kuran̪a-n is the glossing boundaries aside that.
shimobaatar wrote:
Spoiler:
Knox Adjacent wrote: 08 Dec 2022 14:08 Day 7
ma?-n̪ipilpinim
A very blah work-give-er
"work-give-er" as in "employer", or something else
Yes. Error where I ... just left it out.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

shimobaatar wrote: 11 Dec 2022 14:17Now that we're beginning Week 3 of Lexember, I've taken some time to read through and comment on what other participants have posted for Week 2. I won't necessarily comment on every single entry, but hopefully I haven't accidentally missed anyone's work entirely.
shimobaatar, I love how you always find something constructive to say about people's entries. I wish I had the confidence and ability and patience to do what you do.
shimobaatar wrote: 11 Dec 2022 14:17Man in Space: [. . .] I like the difference between the singular and plural forms, as well as the word's additional meanings when used in the plural.
Thanks! That was inspired by Arabic.
shimobaatar wrote: 11 Dec 2022 14:17I quite like the look of all of these words!
Thank you!

I should probably include the IPA for these, shouldn't I? And the plurals when appropriate…
Spoiler:
Lexember 4

téthú /téthù/ [téthù] (pl. éhtihú /éhtìhú/ [éhtìhú]) n. 'sea, ocean, gulf'

Lexember 5

ĝádra /ŋàθɹà/ [ŋáðɹà] (pl. áĝdira /áŋθìɹà/ [áŋðìɹà]) n. 'snake (general term)'

Lexember 6

îd /ɯ́θ/ [ɯ̀θ] n. n. 'brain, brain matter'

Lexember 7

admhor /àθm̩hòɹ/ [àðm̩hòɹ] ad. 'feisty, testy, reactive, vindictive'

Lexember 8

ögduĝ /ø̀ʕθùŋ/ [ø̀ʕðùŋ] ad. 'impatient, frustrated, aggravated, sick to death of bureaucracy'

Lexember 9

dûs /θýs/ [θýs] (pl. udís /ùθís/ [ùθís] n. 'elbow, joint, bend'
--------------------------------

Now as for days 10 and 11…

Lexember 10

túdaĝ /túθàŋ/ [túðàŋ] v. 'to retreat, to fall back, to withdraw, to flee'

Lexember 11

rïs /ɹɯ̀s/ [ɹɯ̀s] (pl. irus /ìɹùs/ [ìɹùs]) n. 'row, span, file, rank'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
tokibuni
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tokibuni »

Lexember 2022 - Day 11
Spoiler:
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Sexuality & Gender
tokibuni wrote: 04 Dec 2022 21:12 Gender/Sex/Gender Identity - Not comprehensive for modern LGBT+ terms.
I found the distinctions that Kuima makes between different kinds of sexual activity based on purpose and context quite interesting! I originally misinterpreted "not comprehensive for modern LGBT+ terms" as meaning that there wouldn't be any such terms, so it was a pleasant surprise, so to speak, to see words for "bigender", "transgender", "nonbinary", "intersex", etc. I particularly enjoyed the note about generational differences regarding the word foko.
There's so many modern LGBT+ terms, I was too lazy to come up with them all at once. Kuima is set in a culture going through a queer renaissance, making it vital to have at least a decent array of terms for gender/sexuality as a baseline though. It's fun to come up with some of these distinctions through different methods than English as well.
tokibuni wrote: 06 Dec 2022 00:43 Couple (Join) - ddunn [ɖuɳ]
N: A pair of something. Animate only.
V: To join.
shimobaatar wrote: The way that Kuima represents its retroflex consonants in writing is one thing that helps give the language a rather distinctive look, in my opinion!
When not on the computer, I actually use ¨ above [t,d,s,z,n].
Kuima

Break - zäf [ʒæf]
V: To cause something to no longer serve its function.

Fold - klöntal [kɬʌn.tal]
V: A series of up and down movements.

Paper - sluti [slu.ti]
N: Writing material made from trees.

Despite - kiäs [ki.æs]
Preposition: Unaffected by

Answer - maka [ma.ka]
V: To reply with relevance to a question.

Sell - kwil [kʷil]
V: Exchange something for money.

Form - minsa [min.sa]
V: To make with a flourish of one's own hands. To sculpt.

Example sentences

He walked into the house to find that all the plates were broken.
is fifa nufal äno vu wof ttos is vaka nufal tlos is zämfa nnukvu iu kispu ttö
PFV walk NOM-3SG into DEF house CONJ PFV find NOM-3SG COMPL PFV break-PSSV NOM-DEF PL plate all

I am folding the paper into a dragon despite the windy day.
phudo klöntal nutäs vu sluti nnirddna mädusawozo kiäs vu so
wind-AUX fold NOM-1SG DEF paper become dragon despite DEF day
Note: Dragon formed from: mädusa (snake) + -wo (AUG) + -zo (Beautiful/Regal)

You have answered all my questions.
plu maka nukan iu kwando ttö flitäs
PERF answer NOM-2SG PL question all GEN-1SG

I sold the cup I sculpted while we stayed at the vacation house.
is kwil nutäs vu zanku sma is minsa nutäs flump is wö nutwin malavu iat
PFV sell NOM-1SG DEF cup what PFV form NOM-1SG while PFV sleep NOM-1DL LOC-DEF relaxationplace
Note: “iat” comes from “ia” (paradise) + -t (place). Stands for places made for relaxation. Vacation house, summer house, a retreat, etc.
- Kuima
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

9th Lexember

epu "express"

epu /eˈpi/ [ɪˈpi]
- (of a shop or similar) express, mini, providing a more limited but more focused service than usual;
- cheap, good value, having a gratifyingly low price for the level of quality offered;
- bitesize, mini, having been stripped down in complexity and/or size for easier immediate consumption;

Etymology: modern borrowing from French épu "express, direct, unhindered, available, at hand", first seen in Boral in the names of imported shopfronts such as Pannier, whose Pannier Épu establishments were much smaller but offered better deals than the main line.

Cognate with Boral speut "free, unfettered, clear", the word épu reflects Old French espeü, past participle of moribund verb espeïr "to free, untangle, prepare". from Latin expediō "I remove the shackles of, I carry out, I am profitable".

Jo n'ay scið l'eç scoclet epu plu pascr.
/ʒo ne xɪθ lɛts xoˈklɛt eˈpi pli ˈpa.xr̩/
[ʝo ne ˈçɪh lɛs xʊˈklɛt ɪˈpi pli ˈpa.xɐ]
1s neg-have.1s can.p.pst def-p.px chocolate mini no.more eat-inf
I can't stop eating these mini chocolates.

---

excerpted in translation from the scitation questions given in the Hulm Siebenhaus's winter 2021 N season and specifically from those for the avenue "Zwanzistewes Entwicklungen" (Advancements of the 20th Century), which tests the taker's understanding of major technological and societal developments during this period.

…causes of the 1937 Veldsvindung and pursuant general poverty.

Question 5 (20 minutes)
Answer the following ten questions in brief.

(i) Which of the fundaminal matters [chemical elements] which are tesqual—having a count of at most 94—was discovered most recently? Who first documented its material properties, and in what year?

(ii) The first then-called "house of odyssey" [cinema] to sell tickets to the public on a regular basis was established in which Riverine city [1] in 1912? Which kerther band [orchestra] was first to have a concert shown in odyssey here?

(iii) Which methodist at the Nadacou [2] Higher School successfully predicted the structure of heredian acid [DNA] in their 1929 paper, a full two decades before their prediction would be verified experimentally?

(iv) The 1968 parachthon tale Starsail, written by Rone [Rouen]-based author Ashford Pasquier, is responsible for coining the jargon term for which modern technology?

(v) Which brother-sister pair founded the Pannier market guild in 1903, which would go on to have a presence in 69 political regions by the year 2000? In which then-Drengot city did they do so?

(vi) In which year was the Lineball Global Turney first held in Mendeva, and who…

---

[1] Any of the band of city-states along the Danaw [Danube] which formed an alliance-federacy in the nineteenth century following the collapse of the Kingdom of Danaw.

[2] Capital city of Hasiny, a Mendevan [North American] polity on the Gulf Coast.

10th Lexember

svellar "disclose"

svellar /svɛˈlar/ [zvɪˈlɑː]
- reveal, disclose, divulge, to state openly so that others find out;
- announce, publicise, to give public notice usually for the first time;
- express, say, convey, to communicate so as to make something explicit;

Etymology: originally in the first senses and later weakened substantially, from Old Boral isvelar "to unveil, reveal", derivative of velar "to veil, shroud" < Latin vēlō with the prefix is- "out, away, un-" < Latin ex- "out, throughout".

Seyað clar con ig voscon desirað svellar.
/siˈjaθ klar kɔn aj voˈxɔn ˌde.ziˈaθ svɛˈlar/
[sjah klɑː kɔn aj vʊˈxɔn dzɪˈʀah zvɪˈlɑː]
be.sbj-2p clear with s.dt 2p-ins want-p.pst say-inf
Be clear in what you want to express.

11th Lexember

stoccadar "lunge forward"

stoccadar /ˌstɔ.kaˈdar/ [ˌsto.kɐˈdɑː]
- thrust, lunge, push, to make an advance with force and especially while wielding a melee weapon;
- advance, assault, to move forward as part of a military operation;
- lobby, campaign, to push for a particular policy proposal

Etymology: verbal derivative from stoccad "a lunge, thrust" either in Middle Boral or in the synonymous French estoccade, estoccader before their adoption into Boral. In either case the noun comes from Italian stoccato "thrust", past participle of stoccar "to thrust (with a sword)", itself from now-obsolete stocco "rapier, shortsword". This noun, which is a borrowing from Dutch stooken "to poke, stab", is reflected in Boral stoc "truncheon, club".

L'indrec son stoccadant vars parroc demosin.
/lɪnˈdrɛk sɔn ˌstɔ.kaˈdant varz paˈrɔk ˌde.moˈzɪn/
[lɪnˈdʀɛk sɔn ˌsto.kɐˈdan vɑːz pɐˈʀɔk ˌde.mʊˈzɪn]
def-charity be.3p lobby-p.prs to park public
The charity is lobbying for public parks.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 11

thang2 - to roll, to rotate, to reoccur, (metaphorically) to be unchanging
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad