Neueʒ̂o [Basic Conlang]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Neueʒ̂o [Basic Conlang]

Post by Arzemju »

I am currently making this conlang as a template for future conlangs i'll make based on this one. This conlang and the future ones will be a template for a conworld and a conculture.

It has a simple phonology (same as esperanto with addition of /ɲ/:
/p b t d ʧ ʤ k g/ <p b t d č ǯ k g>
/f v s z ʃ ʒ/ <f v s z š ʒ>
/m n ɲ/ <m n ň>
/l r j/ <l r j>

/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>

Revision: /k/ is always written <k> ; Circumflex can be replaced by haceks, or by an h (ch, ʒh, sh, nh).

Me estas Neueʒ̂a. Which means "I am Neuedjian".
This is highly based on Esperanto. This if my first conlang, future ones will be more complex.

I am BEGINNER to conlanging, do not expect me to answer correctly to complicated linguistics questions.
Last edited by Arzemju on 21 Aug 2010 04:03, edited 2 times in total.
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Neueʒ̂o [Basic Conlang]

Post by InquisitorJL »

I wouldn't exactly call the phonology of Esperanto simple. It's very Eurocentric and there are certainly some sounds that could have been gotten rid of to make it easier for people who do not speak European languages, for example, the absence of a voicing distinction. I guess the question is, is Europeanesque what you are aiming for?
Arzemju wrote:/p b t d ʧ ʤ k g/ <p b t d ĉ ʒ̂ k g>
/f v s z ʃ ʒ/ <f v s z ŝ ʒ>
/m n ɲ/ <m n n̂>
/l r j/ <l r j>

/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>

The /k/ is written <k> only in non latin borrowings. It is written <c> before a, o, u; and <ch> before e, i. <h> only appears in this case, it is not considered as an entire letter. I don't know how to make the circumflex appear correctly on the <n>
I have some questions relating to your orthography. They are less important if you are going to be creating your own script for this language, but there are some quirks I would like explained.
  • Why are you using <ʒ> when <z> could do?
  • Are you sure you wanted to use a circumflex - postalveolar and palatal sounds are often marked with a caron (aka haček) <ˇ> which is easy to confuse with a circumflex? If you did, why did you use an unusual diacritic for the role it's playing?
  • Why the variety of letters being used for /k/? Surely just one could do?
Can you give us any further information about the phonology. At the moment you just have a phoneme inventory. Have you considered allophony? Phonotactics? Stress?

Based on your phoneme inventory, and the small sample you gave, it looks like you are trying to create a romlang, or an auxlang based of romantic languages. Is this the case... and if not can you explain the similarities?
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

InquisitorJL wrote:
Arzemju wrote:/p b t d ʧ ʤ k g/ <p b t d ĉ ʒ̂ k g>
/f v s z ʃ ʒ/ <f v s z ŝ ʒ>
/m n ɲ/ <m n n̂>
/l r j/ <l r j>

/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>

The /k/ is written <k> only in non latin borrowings. It is written <c> before a, o, u; and <ch> before e, i. <h> only appears in this case, it is not considered as an entire letter. I don't know how to make the circumflex appear correctly on the <n>

Why are you using <ʒ> when <z> could do?
See underlines/reds/bolds/italics.
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by InquisitorJL »

I meant it seemed odd not to use z-circumflex when he already had a z.
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

To answer some questions:

1. This is a romlang, and also an Auxiliary language. This language will be spoken on Alternate Earth in the year 2547 after the "Continental War" that has destroyed almost all the world. Only Europe and a small part of Asia has survived. Esperanto has began to spread as the only language while taking influences from all the surviving languages from asia and europe. Did this clarify things up?

2. In this case i used the circumflex accent as one variety. Refer to the part 1: Slavic people uses a caron, Latins uses a circumflex and Asians uses a caron too. This is the only difference between them; there are no difference in the language, just with the diacritic.

3. Stress is always on the last syllable.

4. It seems easier to use the base /ʒ/ for /dʒ/.
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

Why has that part (Europe and part of Asia) survived if none other has; also, why that part instead of a similarly sized area elsewhere on Earth?

To be frank, it seams to me quite far-fetched that half a millennium from now there will be similar linguistic and cultural patterns on Earth (and plausibly by then in space too) as there are today, IMHO.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Yačay256 wrote:Why has that part (Europe and part of Asia) survived if none other has; also, why that part instead of a similarly sized area elsewhere on Earth?

To be frank, it seams to me quite far-fetched that half a millennium from now there will be similar linguistic and cultural patterns on Earth (and plausibly by then in space too) as there are today, IMHO.
Well, I didn't want to make the whole story but:

Americas and Orient have began a war with bombs and other stuff. Americas has been destroyed as well as Australia and orient. This has began a crysis and Europe has teamed up against China and Russia, Half of china and some parts of Russia have been destroyed. This crysis has created an huge immigration and emmigration because people feared their country to be bombed. A large incomprehension between communities has started; In 2487, Jarin Morskoner has started to teach Esperanto in schools all over Europe. It started to spread in Asia and then The whole world have ratified a pact of non-war. Esperanto has still been influenced by the language which was spoken in the countries. It developed into Neuedjian. This language is now the world's official language. The world is actually in the year 2552 and hasn't been in war since almost four centuries.

Story might not be totally clear but this is what came to my mind when creating the lang.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Are you one hundred percent sure you've really thought this out? Especially the "bombs" bit?
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

MrKrov wrote:Are you one hundred percent sure you've really thought this out? Especially the "bombs" bit?
I thought of a quick story to explain the conlang, I didn't want to make a bestseller by making lots of details and a whole history. Thanks.