What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Lambuzhao »

What kinds of beetles?

Is that a rhinoceros beetle in the avatar?
:wat:
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

A common stag beetle (lucanus capreolus) and eastern Hercules beetle (dynastes tityus). Snapped them both at my local Walmart.
The avatar is the latter.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I adjusted the number of Learran speakers. I had some mistaken numbers that I never bothered to fix. It's much lower now.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Made a sort of timeline of stress changes from Haxyakika to its descendants:

Code: Select all

Haxyakika      --> Himoshujka                                                 --> Takshayka       --> West Charayka  --> Hammyyic
[bá.cad]       -> [ˈba.cad]         -> [ˈba.cad]         -> [ˈba.cad]         -> [baˈcad]         -> [baˈcad]        -> [baˈcad]        -> [bˈcad]   
[fá.ga]        -> [ˈfa.ga]          -> [ˈfa.ga]          -> [ˈfa.ga]          -> [ˈfa.ga]         -> [ˈfa.ga]        -> [faˈga]         -> [fˈga]
[há.ja.kal]    -> [ˈha.jaˌkal]      -> [ˈha.jaˌkal]      -> [haˈja.kal]       -> [ha.jaˈkal]      -> [hajˈkal]       -> [hajˈkal]       -> [hjˈkal] 
[má.na.pa]     -> [ˈma.naˌpa]       -> [ˈma.naˌpa]       -> [maˈna.pa]        -> [maˈna.pa]       -> [mˈna.pa]       -> [ˌm.naˈpa]      -> [ˌm.nˈpa]
[qá.ra.sa.ta]  -> [ˈqa.raˌsa.ta]    -> [ˈqa.raˌsa.ta]    -> [ˌqa.raˈsa.ta]    -> [ˌqa.raˈsa.ta]   -> [qarˈsa.ta]     -> [ˌqar.saˈta]    -> [qarsˈta] 
[vá.wa.xa.jaz] -> [ˈva.waˌxa.jaˌza] -> [ˈva.wa.xaˌja.za] -> [ˌva.wa.xaˈja.za] -> [vaˌwa.xaˈja.za] -> [ˌva.waxˈja.za] -> [vaˌwax.jaˈza]  -> [ˌva.waxjˈza]

--> East Charayka    --> Puqatei
                                                                                                  -> [baˈcad]          -> [baˈcad]
                                                                                                  -> [faˈga]           -> [faˈga] 
                                                                                                  -> [ˌha.jaˈkal]      -> [ˌha.jaˈkal]
                                                                                                  -> [ˌma.naˈpa]       -> [ˌma.naˈpa]
                                                                                                  -> [qaˌra.saˈta]     -> [qaˌrasˈta]
                                                                                                  -> [ˌva.waˌxa.jaˈza] -> [vaˌwa.xajˈza]
These changes in stress lead to some of the most important developments in the descendants, such as the development of the triconsonantal root system in West Charayka, which thus acts like my conworld's equivalent to Proto-Semitic.
First sentence in Haxyakika:
Yèxyə ǧā́ilib wḕosab aḥad ǧā́an yèxyəb bíocal.
[jèx.jə ɣá:.i.lib wè:.o.sab a.ħad ɣá:.an jèx.jəb bí.o.ʔal]
1p.NOM 3ms.ACC JUSS-NPST-kill if 3fs.ACC 1p.ACC SUBJ-NPST-see
We'll have to kill him if she sees us.
Vrkhazhian:
Yeš ǧalib ʾawisbabam ʾad ǧan matib ʾabiʾlal.
[jeç‿ɣaˈlib a.wis.baˈbam ad ˈɣan‿maˈtib a.biʔˈlal]
1p.NOM.INCL 3ms.ACC FUT-JUSS-kill-PL if 3fs.ACC 1p.ACC.INCL FUT-SUBJ-see
We'll have to kill him if she sees us.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 11 Jul 2017 07:34, edited 3 times in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Whilst I procrastinate on finishing up my astronomy, and and in-between all of the real life stuff that we've had to deal with (our sewer lateral collapsed, having us scrambling where to put up us and our three kids in the middle of a busy social calendar), with my sudden plot bunny pivot to Situnya, I think I have an initial stab at a Situnyan phonology:

/m mʲ n nʲ/ m my n ny
/p b t d k g/ p b t d k g
/bʲ pʲ tʲ dʲ kʲ gʲ/ by py ty dy ky gy
/f v s z/ f v s z
/fʲ vʲ sʲ zʲ/ fy vy sy zy
/l lʲ/ l ly
/w j/ w y

/i~ɪ u/ i u
/e~ɛ o/ e o
/ɑ/ a

No polyphthongs. Syllables are (m/n)CV, with that nasal actually becoming syllabic phonetically (but considered part of the same syllable and written as such by Situnyan speakers).

Of note, because I plan on using this language primarily as a naming language for a novel (series...), I feel okay being a little constrained to what I think my (English-speaking) readers won't mangle too much—especially as Situnyan is the lingua franca of Mto.

Speaking of, here are a handful of words:

mto, levengu, tane
/m̩-to le-ve-n̩-gu ta-ne/
world, tree branch, water

This is actually the first language where I'm actually vaguely interested in creating a writing system, but I also have always skipped those bits when reading up on "how to make a conlang", so I'm terribly ignorant of where to even start.

As for grammar, I'm not really sure. The capital city of Situnya is <Kyamto>, and I'm pretty sure <ngu> means tree, so there might be some agglutinating (is that the right word?) sort of thing going on. That just kind of bums me, because it feels like I might be making all of my languages too same-y on word construction (Kuvian seems to occasionally do the same thing, and Entleisian is heavily influenced by Chinese/Japanese and those languages' ability to just smush a bunch of syllables together to create a new fancy word, and Nairun is going to be polysynthetic in some way which is also super agglutinating it kind of feels...or I just don't know what I'm talking about).

It seems like the hard part about working on several languages at once is making them not all be super similar [:D]
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Person is now doubly-marked in UC using initial consonant mutation on the verbal particles. They host a lovely mess of aspect, mood, and person/number agreement and one is obligatory along with any verb, so now they look a bit more different and 2/3s of sentences no longer start with lho-, zhe-, or ka-. I told myself, making this language, that for once - for once - I'd go light on verbal morphology. And, I mean... the verbs only get marked for pluractionality. So I guess I succeeded. But I could not escape.

I made some conjugation charts because paradigms are fun.
Have, um, the durative volitive/involitive visual indicative.
(the plural and paucal labels should be swapped here; I forgot to fix this before uploading the image)

Stative... olfactory/gustatory inferential?

Conclusive volitive hypothetical/optative?

I love verbs. Or, uh, verbal particles. For what it's worth, no other POS in this conlang has anywhere near this much inflection. I am slowly trying to break my fusional habit. Not having much success. [:|] [:P]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

qwed117 wrote:I adjusted the number of Learran speakers. I had some mistaken numbers that I never bothered to fix. It's much lower now.
Good Lord! You eliminated Learran speakers ?
[o.O] [>_<] :!:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

kiwikami wrote:Person is now doubly-marked in UC using initial consonant mutation on the verbal particles. They host a lovely mess of aspect, mood, and person/number agreement and one is obligatory along with any verb, so now they look a bit more different and 2/3s of sentences no longer start with lho-, zhe-, or ka-.
(the plural and paucal labels should be swapped here; I forgot to fix this before uploading the image)

Here as in 'just the above chart here' or 'from here on in {inclusive}' ?

I told myself, making this language, that for once - for once - I'd go light on verbal morphology. And, I mean... the verbs only get marked for pluractionality. So I guess I succeeded. But I could not escape.
You just couldn't get away, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Lambuzhao wrote:Here as in 'just the above chart here' or 'from here on in {inclusive}' ?
Just the above chart. My screenshotting skills are minimal. :roll:
Lambuzhao wrote:You just couldn't get away, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU
I have tried to go light on verbal morphology. Or even just fusion. Heck, just agglutination. I've tried making isolating 'langs. Then ablaut sneaks in or something becomes an affix before you know it... [:|]

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

kiwikami wrote:Person is now doubly-marked in UC using initial consonant mutation on the verbal particles. They host a lovely mess of aspect, mood, and person/number agreement and one is obligatory along with any verb, so now they look a bit more different and 2/3s of sentences no longer start with lho-, zhe-, or ka-. I told myself, making this language, that for once - for once - I'd go light on verbal morphology. And, I mean... the verbs only get marked for pluractionality. So I guess I succeeded. But I could not escape.

Stative... olfactory/gustatory inferential?

Conclusive volitive hypothetical/optative?

I love verbs. Or, uh, verbal particles. For what it's worth, no other POS in this conlang has anywhere near this much inflection. I am slowly trying to break my fusional habit. Not having much success. [:|] [:P]
Was it inspired by Skou?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Creyeditor wrote:Was it inspired by Skou?
It was not; what is Skou?

Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Is it plausible for a simplification of a particular construction to occur alongside its non-simplified counterpart without overtaking it?

For instance "like" in Pazmat (as in "like the wind") is normally formed with the Genitive + , a post-position with means "here" (the genitive is just to connect the word to . Thus, for instance, wurfrātṛ dū "like the boy". However, for nouns whose genitives are in -tṛ, this can be simplified to -taddū: wurfrātaddū. Is it plausible that these two forms of the construction would coexist, possibly such that -taddū is the casual slang form and -tṛ dū is the more formal form?

After all, -taddū isn't any shorter, hell it might be LONGER than -tŗ dū, with the extra geminate.

There are some other problems alongside this though:

-Nouns whose genitives end in -bas. I guess -bas dū could become -bassū or -baddū (I can explain why the case ending geminated and not the particle for -bassū because the case ending ended in a consonant).

-The Proximative in -(y)os can be used to mean "like", an extension from its base meaning of "nearby": wurfrāyos lit. "nearby/next to the boy" but also "like the boy". I don't want two constructions that are identical to meaning, so how to solve this? Perhaps one could be more or less intense:

cṛsirū radisāyos "That girl is (kinda) like (my) sister"
cṛsirū radisātaddū! "That girl is (really) like my sister!"

You know...what really separates this and the other particle combinations I want to make from being cases? There really doesn't seem to be much evidence for not considering -taddū and -bassū as being Semblative case marker, even if they are nearly transparently formed from case-particle combos? I like the idea of case-particle combos. I also like the idea of combining into wonderfully euphonic single morphemes. But at the same time it feels like a cheap way of slipping new cases in under the table...I dunno, I still like it though!
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Chagen wrote:Is it plausible for a simplification of a particular construction to occur alongside its non-simplified counterpart without overtaking it?

For instance "like" in Pazmat (as in "like the wind") is normally formed with the Genitive + , a post-position with means "here" (the genitive is just to connect the word to . Thus, for instance, wurfrātṛ dū "like the boy". However, for nouns whose genitives are in -tṛ, this can be simplified to -taddū: wurfrātaddū. Is it plausible that these two forms of the construction would coexist, possibly such that -taddū is the casual slang form and -tṛ dū is the more formal form?

After all, -taddū isn't any shorter, hell it might be LONGER than -tŗ dū, with the extra geminate.

There are some other problems alongside this though:

-Nouns whose genitives end in -bas. I guess -bas dū could become -bassū or -baddū (I can explain why the case ending geminated and not the particle for -bassū because the case ending ended in a consonant).

-The Proximative in -(y)os can be used to mean "like", an extension from its base meaning of "nearby": wurfrāyos lit. "nearby/next to the boy" but also "like the boy". I don't want two constructions that are identical to meaning, so how to solve this? Perhaps one could be more or less intense:

cṛsirū radisāyos "That girl is (kinda) like (my) sister"
cṛsirū radisātaddū! "That girl is (really) like my sister!"

You know...what really separates this and the other particle combinations I want to make from being cases? There really doesn't seem to be much evidence for not considering -taddū and -bassū as being Semblative case marker, even if they are nearly transparently formed from case-particle combos? I like the idea of case-particle combos. I also like the idea of combining into wonderfully euphonic single morphemes. But at the same time it feels like a cheap way of slipping new cases in under the table...I dunno, I still like it though!
It's plausible that the two could co-occur as different constructions, or even just in different locations.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I just realized I posted that in the complete wrong section. Derp.

Well...uh...I came up with a word for "camel"? bamiy-. Tricky, as I have decided that au > ō before y or w, so for the indefinite, you get bamōṣ instead of the "expected" *bamauṣ. Also the indefinite singular accusative is by analogy bamōṣya not the expected (and seen before the analogy) *bamōyya. This analogy didn't apply to the Proximative and Translative though: bamōyos bamōyaru

GERRA! bamiyī śruya moycuvyī!
"BEHOLD! I have bought these two camels!

(doing a weird thing here where a noun is just not inflected at ALL besides number when used with an actual number)
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I finally figured out how the hell to pronounce ejectives. Now I may actually incorporate them into my conlangs!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

kiwikami wrote:
Creyeditor wrote:Was it inspired by Skou?
It was not; what is Skou?
A Papuan language of the small Skou family of the north coast of Papua New Guinea. You can find a sketch of it in the Grammar Pile: I seriously recommend taking a look. They probably though your systrem was inspired by the fused prefix-based person marking verbs take.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

True [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:Is it plausible for a simplification of a particular construction to occur alongside its non-simplified counterpart without overtaking it?
It is not just plausible, it's extremely normal.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Contracted helping verbs in :eng: still co-occur along side of the uncontracted ones.

E.g.
a) I didn't know that.
b) I did not know that.

In this case, one type of construction has not completely displaced/uprooted/supplanted the other, and I am not sure that they ever will, at least in Old High Classical Golden-Age :eng:, and quite possibly also in the more byzantine Silver-Age :eng:.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

New updates on Xingish: Section on colours, participles, and a nice comparison chart between Xingish, Esperanto and Volapük, so that you should be able to decide which IAL you should learn.