What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Frislander »

Finally posted the last part to those Áalaléekowoó sound changes. Now I can actually start posting on the grammar and stuff!
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

MrKrov wrote:It's a good thing you can fuck right off since I wasn't complaining and not to you.
Whoa...this came out of nowhere...

Anyway, what I accomplished is formally turning my alternate idea for my conlang into a related dialect, so I can work on them in parallel without having to choose one over the other (even if I have chosen to only present one here on CBB).
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

MrKrov wrote:It's a good thing you can fuck right off since I wasn't complaining and not to you.
Dude. What the hell?

You horrendously misread my intentions with that comment and flew right the hell off the handle. Also, how in the heck am I not allowed to comment on something you said about my script?

But seriously, maybe you need to stop and think before you jump down someone's throat for literally nothing. I can't even imagine what you think I meant.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

Today I reread my years-old notes on my dragon/elf language, Łoresla (/ɬoˈɾɛsla/). I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things after years of real life getting in the way.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I thought of some satisfactory vowel systems for the descendants of Takshian, and tweaked a bit with consonants. I should be able to generate interesting diversity in the cousin languages of Vrkhazhian.

Takshian - Takśāikā (takɬəjkɑ:):
/a e i ɨ ə o u/
/ɑ: ɛ: ɪ: ə: ɔ: ʊ:/
/əj əw/
/m n ŋ/
/p p̰ b t t̰ d c c̰ ɟ k k̰ g q q̰ ʔ/
/t͡s/
/f v θ ð s z ç ʝ x ɣ χ h/
/l l̰ ɬ r r̰/
/j w/

East Charric - Čārīkā (tʃ͡a:ri:ka:):
/a e i o u/
/a: e: i: o: u:/

/m n ŋ/
/p pʷ b t tʷ d k kʷ g q qʷ ʔ/
/t͡s tʃ͡ tʃ͡ʷ dʒ͡/
/f v θ ð s z x ɣ χ h/
/l lʷ ɬ r rʷ/
/j w/

West Charric - Čáraiká (cɑrəjkɑ):
/a ɑ e ɛ i ɪ ɨ ə o ɔ u ʊ/
/əj əw/

/m n ŋ/
/p pʼ b t tʼ d c cʼ ɟ k kʼ g q qʼ ʔ/
/t͡s tɬ͡ tɬ͡ʼ/
/f v θ ð s z ç ʝ x ɣ χ h/
/l ɬ r rʼ/
/j w/

Central Charric - Čaraika (tʃ͡ɑrajkɑ):
/ɑ ɛ e i o u/
/aj aw/

/m n ŋ/
/p pʰ b t tʰ d k kʰ g q qʰ ʔ/
/t͡s tʃ͡ tʃ͡ʰ dʒ͡/
/f v s z ʃ͡ ʒ x ɣ χ h/
/l ɬ r rʰ/
/j w/

Northeast Charric - Cāryekā (t͡sa:rjeka:):
/a e i o/ < /a e e i ∅ o o/
/a: e: o:/ < /a: a: e: ∅ a: o:/

/m n ŋ/
/p pˤ b t tˤ d k kˤ g q qˤ ʔ/
/t͡s t͡sˤ dz͡/
/f v s z x ɣ χ h/
/l lˤ ɬ r rˤ/
/j w/
Last edited by Ahzoh on 15 Sep 2017 03:33, edited 2 times in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Now he's accusing me of being the nonthinker. I give up on another.

A coherent and pleasing set of diacritics. It's nice to not just use IPA.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

MrKrov wrote:Now he's accusing me of being the nonthinker. I give up on another.
And you're complaining when you were the one who was the jerk in the situation. But I'm sure you're going to play the victim in response to this comment as well. [¬.¬]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

No, you just back to whatever you were doing before.

I have settled on a pattern of nominal coordinating conjunctions.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Well ʇ ʇ! Looks like sòmeone got out of bed this morning! Poor dear.
doomie wrote:But I'm sure you're going to play the victim in response to this comment as well. [¬.¬]
Now now! Credit where credit is due, friend! Mr. Roof does such a good job of playing the crankshafty curmudgeon. It's like he was born for the role or something!
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

It's obvious this is NOT going to be productive, I think we should all move along.

@mbrsart: It's a strange combo of fun and nostalgia glancing back over old projects, isn't it? I know for me it is also a great source of "what in the hell did I mean by this notation!?"
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):

It means "to cut into small pieces," or it can also be used to refer to the pieces themselves if there is a classifier attached to it (which I haven't made yet). I've also decided that there will be singular, paucal and plural numbers as well as an inclusive/exclusive we distinction and an absence of tense in favor of a robust aspectual system. Oh, and the other day I had decided that reduplication will feature as well... likely in nouns and verbs. For verbs it adds a meaning of doing the action again and again (FREQ), but I haven't a clue as of yet what it will do for nouns. Plural marking seems too obvious, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. I am also toying with adding evidentiality because it isn't something I've really ever messed with.
Edit: Oops... didn't realize there wasn't a comment in between my posts. [:x]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):
Huh? Some of the characters you already showed had three rectangulars on the right edge, which I count as 9 strokes alone. Or do you count strokes differently than Chinese does?
Thrice Xandvii wrote:Edit: Oops... didn't realize there wasn't a comment in between my posts.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, as the topic was clearly different.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Iyionaku wrote:Huh? Some of the characters you already showed had three rectangulars on the right edge, which I count as 9 strokes alone. Or do you count strokes differently than Chinese does?
I do, actually. Squares and rectangles are made with an L-shaped stroke and then an inverted one. So each one is only 2. Also, the typical system I use to organize characters is to count the strokes that are not part of the "sound-unit" of the character, so the rightmost part is generally ignored unless I am referring to total strokes.

However, I find it cool that you've paid that much attention! [B)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Made a bunch more characters for VDT... as well as the one with the most strokes so far (9 in the notation I use, but it's 14 total):

It means "to cut into small pieces," or it can also be used to refer to the pieces themselves if there is a classifier attached to it (which I haven't made yet).
A question of aesthetics: was it intentional or serendipetous that this character actually looks like a knife dicing an onion into small somewhat random sized pieces?
I've also decided that there will be singular, paucal and plural numbers as well as an inclusive/exclusive we distinction and an absence of tense in favor of a robust aspectual system. Oh, and the other day I had decided that reduplication will feature as well... likely in nouns and verbs.
All music to my ears!
For verbs it adds a meaning of doing the action again and again (FREQ), but I haven't a clue as of yet what it will do for nouns. Plural marking seems too obvious, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.
Use it for nominal tense or gender. Use it for some kind of semantic extension of meaning (like English "dark" vs "dark dark"). Use it for negation or nullification.
I am also toying with adding evidentiality because it isn't something I've really ever messed with.
Please, continue messing!
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:@mbrsart: It's a strange combo of fun and nostalgia glancing back over old projects, isn't it? I know for me it is also a great source of "what in the hell did I mean by this notation!?"
I know, right? I spent a few minutes going back over my noun and numeral systems, laughing, and saying, "This is great!"

Though I suppose that could be because I don't have to redo them. I'm a man who craves leisure.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

elemtilas wrote:A question of aesthetics: was it intentional or serendipetous that this character actually looks like a knife dicing an onion into small somewhat random sized pieces?
Only somewhat. I can't take full credit for that one as sometimes I will write parts of a new character into a Chinese translator and see what characters it suggests I mean for inspiration. In this case one of them had a meaning related to cutting.
Use it for nominal tense or gender. Use it for some kind of semantic extension of meaning (like English "dark" vs "dark dark"). Use it for negation or nullification.
Mayhap it will take on comparative/superlative meaning. Maybe just something like "much."
Please, continue messing!
Oh, I plan to.

But thanks for the encouragement all the same!

I made, and documented, a system of noun "classifiers" in the language. While the chart was a bitch to make in wiki markup language, it does look nice, IMO. It also nicely categorizes the various elements according to the group sub-divisions that they belong to. I am not sure what precisely this heirarchy might be used for (outside of a handy way to organize things) but it did help to inform the character choices as the top-most element in each phonogram does conform to the level of the system that it occupies. For instance, the two non-inanimate physical classifiers both have the same "dots and line" element to them. I am unsure if it can be posited that the system of writing phonograms was a somewhat recent creation and was retroactively applied to simplify the written language as a way to explain how well they match-up to their various pronunciations, or not. Either way, I like it.

I also really like that a bit of a tweak to the form of the non-physical (abstract) classifier was made. I had little reason for needing it. But, I do like that it isn't just the same as the normal form of that particular syllable's phonogram. Just allows a touch of asymmetry and uniqueness to creep in.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

mbrsart wrote:I know, right? I spent a few minutes going back over my noun and numeral systems, laughing, and saying, "This is great!"
For me it is generally more a case of "what was I thinking!?" than pleasant surprise at my ideas and being glad that certain things make sense. I find that I under-document things a LOT. I also can clearly take a look at my work and realize exactly how much I have learned based on the assumptions and mistakes that I've made. I think that's one of the reasons that I have a hard time sticking with a project: it becomes obvious to me how wrong or ill-informed somethings were and it would be too much work to go back and fix everything to make it make more sense to me now. Oh well, the process I use now affords me the ability to keep making scripts, so I can't complain. [:)]
Ashtăr Balynestjăr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ashtăr Balynestjăr »

While bored in my Electric Machines class, I came up with a vague idea for a romlang. Looking at it now, it’s just another boring Gallo-Romance dialect, but it was fun to play around with at the time (or at least more fun than listening to my professor go on and on about the wiring of three-phase transformers).

Classical Latin a ā ae e ē oe i ī o au ō u ū > Vulgar Latin a a ɛ ɛ e e e i ɔ au o o u
a ɛ e i ɔ au o u > a ɛ e i ɔ o u y
ɛ > ja before a resonant
VL /e o/ > /i u/ when unstressed preceding /s/.
/j/ and unstressed /i/ after stressed syllables causes i-mutation: a ja ɔ o u > ɛ jɛ œ ø y
remaining unstressed vowels either drop out or reduce to ə i u
e > ei before intervocalic resonants

tʃənˈtar, jə tʃant, ty ˈtʃantəs, el ˈtʃantə, nus tʃənˈtams, vus tʃanˈtɛts, els ˈtʃantən (to sing)
ˈpjardər, jə pjɛrt, ty pjɛrts, el pjart, nus pərˈdems, vus pərˈdets, els ˈpjardən (to lose)
fiˈnir, jə fiˈnɛs, ty fiˈnɛssəs, el fiˈnɛs, nus fiˈnims, vus fiˈnits, els fiˈnɛssən (to finish)

yn, ˈynə; dus; tres; ˈkwatər; tsiŋk; sjais; set; uit; nɔf; dɛts

ˈfeunə (woman), oun (man), pes (fish), uˈtsjal (bird), tʃan (dog), rəˈðits (root), isˈteilə (star), isˈtaθ (summer)
Plurals: ˈfeunəs, øuns, pessəs, uˈtsjals, tʃɛns, rəˈðitsəs, isˈteiləs, isˈtɛts

ˈtuts ləz ˈɛstərz ˈymans ˈnassən ˈlivərz ɛð iˈwɛuz ɛn diɲiˈtaθ ɛ ˈdraits.
[ˈaʃt̪əɹ ˈbalɨˌnɛsʲtʲəɹ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That's one thing I miss about college (among many): making languages and scripts in class and really poring all kinds of effort into getting stuff mapped out as fast as possible so that it can be "done" before the period is over... unless tomorrow's class is also boring! [:)]

Numbers!!

In case it isn't clear, the word for each is on the bottom, and the two glyphs are formal and short... Of which it should be obvious that the one with more strokes is the formal variant which is almost never used anymore.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 17 Sep 2017 12:30, edited 1 time in total.