Possessives - does this distinction exist?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Possessives - does this distinction exist?

Post by xijlwya »

Hey guys. Lately, I came up with a neat distinction for possessive markers in my conlang. I wonder which natlang does actually make this distinction - so maybe you know.

Consider: (1) 'This is my way home.' and (2) 'This is my car.'
In (2), I really possess the object. But in (1) I state a possession of something I cannot possess (or it is rather very unlikely). I'd call these two things 'real possessive' and 'relational possessive' - because 'This is my way home.' expresses a relation between me and the way/path. What do you think of it?

I plan to realise them differently in my conlang. So I could express "I own that way to my home." and "This is the way I go, when I want to go home."

..mmmhhh. Thinking of it, it somehow seems strange to me to have this distinction - it is so capitalistic :P
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Possessives - does this distinction exist?

Post by reizoukin »

Maasai distinguishes between possessable and unpossessable. This means that words such as "my brother" is okay, but "my land" is not; you'd have to say "the land that I own". This seems the most fit to your language.

Georgian distinguishes between the possession of animate and inanimate things; you have to use a different affix to mark owning animate things than inanimate things.

Other languages distinguish between alienable and inalienable; if it can be separated, then it's marked differently than if it can't be separated. A body part can not be separated; a pen can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_(linguistics)

I'm sure there are tons of languages that make the distinction you are talking about, but rather than making "my path home" a possession, they make it something else. i.e., "The path to my home" or "The path I must take"
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

reizoukin wrote:Maasai distinguishes between possessable and unpossessable. This means that words such as "my brother" is okay, but "my land" is not; you'd have to say "the land that I own". This seems the most fit to your language.
Hey, that is a really nice way of dealing with it. Shows a healthy attitude towards grammaticalised possession :D

So maybe I'll just narrow down the use of the possessive pronouns (or markers in any sense) to occasions where they express *real* posession.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

reizoukin wrote:A body part can not be separated;
Oh yes it can.
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

MrKrov wrote:
reizoukin wrote:A body part can not be separated;
Oh yes it can.
Not in a traditional polynesian language, it can't. Unless you cut it off with a knife.
reizoukin wrote:A body part can not be separated without a sharp object;
Happy?
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I would have settled for "pet chainsaw" but whatever.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

I just imagine two people speak any language that has the distinction "able to be sperarated/unable to be separated" talking about an arm or another limb. One of them marks arm as ?separatable - a little morpheme to frighten the others :D
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

xijlwya wrote:I just imagine two people speak any language that has the distinction "able to be sperarated/unable to be separated" talking about an arm or another limb. One of them marks arm as ?separatable - a little morpheme to frighten the others :D
Haha! It would be fun to see how such a dialogue would be translated into a language without this morphological distiction.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

This sounds like a genitive/possessive distinction to me.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

rickardspaghetti wrote:This sounds like a genitive/possessive distinction to me.
Actually that seems quite reasonable ?to/for me. Also, as English for example doesn't distinguish that, the following thingy holds: (1) Mike's apartment = (2) his apartment, as long as his refers to Mike. In a language with such a distinction, this would not be true I guess...