prononciation

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
vandlival
rupestrian
rupestrian

prononciation

Post by vandlival »

Hello every body, i am creating a conlang and i am just starting. I would like to have it with sounds which do not necessarily appear in my mother tongue or in English, so I checked the wikipedia article about International alphabet in which you can hear a example but i don't find it very relevant alone furthermore, if i would like to learn how to pronounce it, if think it is hard with what i found in wiki. So if anyone has a website in where i could hear the sounds in different situations (like after a "t" a "d" a "n" for a vowel or before a "a", a "e", a "i" ... for a consonant) and in which they teach you how to pronounce. I don't care if it is in French because i speak it fluently ( better than English)
abi
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: prononciation

Post by abi »

I don't think there's one where you can hear it after every vowel, but here's the one I use:

http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/charts.html
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/c ... IPAlab.htm

Not sure that it's exactly what you're looking for, but it definitely helps.
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

That's a great site. ;-)
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
vandlival
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by vandlival »

Thanks every body, but is it normal that i don't hear the difference between some of them especially the one which are not in English or in French? Or that I fell like they are the exact same thing than one I know?
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

vandlival wrote:Thanks every body, but is it normal that i don't hear the difference between some of them especially the one which are not in English or in French? Or that I fell like they are the exact same thing than one I know?
That's completely normal. If don't use it you lose it. It just takes practice and patience to get it back.
vandlival
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by vandlival »

How can i get it?
And I have another question, do you (anyone who would like to response) hear the difference and if you do is it different an off that you can use it as the only difference between two identical words ex: if two letters that i thing sound the same like x1 and x2 (exemples) and i use them in my conlang like this : x1+a+b+a (xaba) and x2+a+b+a (xaba) can they be two completly different words ( like apple and car) or should they be the same word pronunced with 2 different accent?
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

vandlival wrote:How can i get it?
And I have another question, do you (anyone who would like to response) hear the difference and if you do is it different an off that you can use it as the only difference between two identical words ex: if two letters that i thing sound the same like x1 and x2 (exemples) and i use them in my conlang like this : x1+a+b+a (xaba) and x2+a+b+a (xaba) can they be two completly different words ( like apple and car) or should they be the same word pronunced with 2 different accent?
To learn to distinguish sounds, you have to listen and compare.
For me to know if I can tell the difference you'll have to tell me the sounds.

If I understand you correct than both x1aba and x2aba can be completely different words.

1. Words sounding EXACTLY the same can mean different things. Ex - but and butt

2. Just because they sound the same to you doesn't mean the do everyone. A lot of my students have trouble distinguishing /i/ and /ɪ/. But English makes use of the distinction. (sheep vs. ship)

3. Some languages make use of three way aspiration distinctions, which can differ by mere milliseconds.

4. If a sound is part of IPA it is because it contrasts with a similar sound.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Or they can be two different accents of the same word. Either option is possible.
vandlival
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by vandlival »

thanks