Palatal Trill

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Palatal Trill

Post by Micamo »

I've been trying to teach myself how to do it. Right now I can do something of a alveo-palatal trill where the tongue is pressed against the hard palate, however it's still the tip of my tongue that vibrates against the alveolar ridge. This might actually be correct but I doubt it. How can I get the dorsal part of the tongue to vibrate against the palate itself?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Palatal Trill

Post by peterofthecorn »

I can do it, but not very comfortably or easily. Do a palatal fricative and increase the air speed until it starts to become a trill.
Przemysław
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Przemysław »

peterofthecorn wrote:I can do it, but not very comfortably or easily. Do a palatal fricative and increase the air speed until it starts to become a trill.
Palatal trills don't exist. What you not very accurately describe here is a fricative trill.

One of possible variants of the Czech ⟨ř⟩ is the most „famous” fricative trill.
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by peterofthecorn »

Przemysław wrote:Palatal trills don't exist.
As in, they do not exist in any language, or they aren't possible to pronounce? If the latter, how do you know?
Przemysław
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Przemysław »

For a normal trill (and also a tap) to occur, the active articulator must be flexible, which leaves only three options:

1) the lower lip;
2) the corona;
3) the uvula.

And that's why only bilabial, coronal and uvular trills (and taps) exist. For other places, like the dorsum, vibration can occur only when an articulatory channel is constricted like in fricatives, hence the term fricative trill (and analogously fricative tap).
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Przemysław wrote:For a normal trill (and also a tap) to occur, the active articulator must be flexible, which leaves only three options:

1) the lower lip;
2) the corona;
3) the uvula.

And that's why only bilabial, coronal and uvular trills (and taps) exist. For other places, like the dorsum, vibration can occur only when an articulatory channel is constricted like in fricatives, hence the term fricative trill (and analogously fricative tap).
Hmm, alright. I could do a palatal fricative trill all along though. But you've saved me a few hours of making weird noises!
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by peterofthecorn »

Przemysław wrote:For a normal trill (and also a tap) to occur, the active articulator must be flexible, which leaves only three options:

1) the lower lip;
2) the corona;
3) the uvula.

How flexible? Because the part of the tongue that would be needed to produce a palatal trill actually is flexible, even though it is less so than the tip of the tongue. While it may be quite difficult to do, I think it is possible to produce a palatal trill.

And I think your list is incomplete: for example, the top lip is flexible, as can be shown by restraining your bottom lip and making a trill with your top lip. The sides of the tongue are flexible enough to do a lateral trill. The epiglottis, aryepiglottic fold, and vestibular fold all can also vibrate enough to make a trill.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

peterofthecorn wrote:

1) the lower lip;
2) the corona;
3) the uvula.

How flexible? Because the part of the tongue that would be needed to produce a palatal trill actually is flexible, even though it is less so than the tip of the tongue. While it may be quite difficult to do, I think it is possible to produce a palatal trill.
At least according to all copies of the IPA I've found online the palatal trill is theoretically possible but, apparently, not found in any attested language. I'd guess this results from the relatively low flexibility mentioned by Przemysław which might lead to such a sound becoming a trill at another POA (possibly palatalised) or other sounds, maybe a palatal fricative or lateral, etc.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.