Haiku and 'the natural rythmn of japanese'

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
xBlackWolfx
banned

Haiku and 'the natural rythmn of japanese'

Post by xBlackWolfx »

I never really understood haiku, until i read something somewhere (i believe on a site where some japanese guy was teaching japanese) that a haiku is meant to exploit the natural rythmn of japanese. I read some japanese haikus, and i admit they do certainly sound alot better than the english ones i've always heard.

If this is true, i'd like to do the same thing with my conlang. It would be interesting to have a language where you can read a poem with the same rythmn that you normally speak, unlike english where you have to learn to use this non-english intonation pattern.

How could i go about doing that? I'm not really into having sentences follow the intonation pattern of english poems, nor do i really want a free-form word order. I was actually considering having phonemic stress.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Haiku and 'the natural rythmn of japanese'

Post by Micamo »

Japanese has pitch accent, which may be just a phonemic downstep. (I don't know that much about Japanese, you may wanna ask someone else about this specifically.) This is probably what you're referring to.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

Japanese is also syllable (or perhaps more technically mora) timed, that is, each syllable (particularly in kana) is always the same length (and a long vowel should be twice as long as a normal syllable), so each syllable always receives the same emphasis in normal speech (which is where pitch-accent comes in).
It also perhaps helps that Japanese doesn't really have any consonant clusters to speak of, so things come out easier.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

xBlackWolfx wrote:If this is true, i'd like to do the same thing with my conlang. It would be interesting to have a language where you can read a poem with the same rythmn that you normally speak, unlike english where you have to learn to use this non-english intonation pattern.
Iambic meter, famous for its use in Shakespeare's sonnets, is supposed to mirror fluent English cadence. For example, this entire post is in iambic meter, and it doesn't sound unnatural at all.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。