False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Re: False cognates

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

Nuxalk tł /tʰɬ̩/ vs Navajo dził /t͡sɪɬ/ and related forms? Are these true or false cognates?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

:ind: Sanskrit अवोचत् <ávocat> ‘he spoke’ vs English “have a chat[;)]
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

A surprising one I just found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andhadhi

Tamil: andham (end)

Kankonian: andam (last)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 78,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

:hun: falka “flock/heard/pack/etc.”
:eng: flock
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Latin <Genius> and Hebrew /gaʔon/ "Genius". I searched for the origin of the :isr:, based on the discussion on the False friends thread, thinking it might be a loan from a Greek form, but it seems to be a native form. The :isr: seems also to be unrelated to the :ara: source of the family of words that include "Jinn"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
WeepingElf
sinic
sinic

Post by WeepingElf »

Japanese gaijin 'foreigner', Hebrew goj 'non-Jew' and Romani gajo 'non-Roma' are probably all unrelated.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

WeepingElf wrote: 08 Oct 2021 15:18 Japanese gaijin 'foreigner', Hebrew goj 'non-Jew' and Romani gajo 'non-Roma' are probably all unrelated.
I would say that the Gai in Gaijin, and the :isr: /goj/ are the false cognates here, since "goj" would be an IPA or German/Polish/Hungarian etc. spelling.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

I wonder if serious (and its cognates) /Sirius (σέιριος) counts. Prior to c. 1990 this would be less valid.

They come from different PIE roots, *seh-ro- and *twis-ro-.
Backstroke_Italics
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Backstroke_Italics »

I can't believe I didn't mention this one already, but English barley[/i] and Korean bori[/i] always felt pretty close to me. The stop is phonetically unvoiced, but still.
I did it. I made the world's worst book blog.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Backstroke_Italics wrote: 15 Oct 2021 12:11 I can't believe I didn't mention this one already, but English barley and Korean bori always felt pretty close to me. The stop is phonetically unvoiced, but still.
Closer: the other word for barley in English (the original OE word, now Scottish, but also surviving as a name for a specific type of barley) is bere. ['barley' is originally just 'bere'+'ly', i.e. "kind of like barley"].

But if you want something really implausible, if you start with bori in Korea and just hop over the border, it's bor in Russian. It must be a coincidence, because obviously the Russian word has a very firm PIE (or at least northwestern IE substrate?) basis, whereas the Korean is apparently first attested in Middle Korean, where it would have been /pwoli/. And since the word for 'oats' ends in the same -ri syllable, I'm guessing it's also a compound anyway. But it's certainly a striking coincidence!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Irish fear, 'man', vs Old Norse fjǫrr, 'man'.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Has anyone mentioned :vie: <chào> and :ita: <ciao> yet>?
-JRR Tolkien