Autonym etymology

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Autonym etymology

Post by GrandPiano »

How do speakers of languages usually come up with names for their languages? A few trips to Wiktionary tells me that several languages do it with a combination of "place/tribe name + word/suffix meaning 'language' or 'of/pertaining to'", and often, the autonym for the language is the same as the autonym for the language's speakers. For example:
  • English (English): From Old English Ænglisc/Englisc, from Ængle/Engle (name of a Germanic tribe) + -isc (of, pertaining to; forms word denoting ethnicity or nationality)
  • français (French): From Old French françois/franceis, from France (France, the country) + -ois (used to form nationalities and languages)
  • italiano (Italian): From Italia (Italy) + -ano (coming from, related to)
  • 中文 (Chinese): From 中 (middle; first character of 中国, meaning "China") + 文 (language; writing)
  • 汉语 (also Chinese): From 汉 (Han ethnic group) + 语 (language)
  • 日本語 (Japanese): From 日本 (Japan) + 語 (language)
However, some are formed in different ways, for example:
  • español (Spanish): From Provençal espaignol, from Vulagar Latin Hispaniolus, from Latin Hispanus (Spanish, Hispanic) + olus (diminutive suffix)
  • Deutsch (German): From Old High German diutisk/diutisc (popular, vernacular)
  • Lallans (Scots): From lawlands (lowlands of Scotland)
This information is a bit biased, because Wiktionary doesn't really give much information about the etymologies of the autonyms of non-Indo-European languages, so tell me, is there any other "normal" way for languages to form autonyms?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Autonym etymology

Post by Ahzoh »

In Vrkhazhian, they call their language Ashdu Yat-Vrkhazh "Mouth of the Great Land" of which Yat is a Middle Vrkhazhian word for "land", and Vrkhazh a Middle Vrkhazhian word for "great, large, significant"
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

I was looking for the ways natlangs create their autonyms.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Well gee, I musta misinterpreted the thread title...
Last edited by Ahzoh on 26 Jan 2015 01:04, edited 2 times in total.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Fixed. I created a corresponding thread in the Conlang Section.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Well, in Ancient Egyptian, the autonym means "Mouth of the Black Land", where "black" references the soil.
Some people call that "whitewashing" (i.e saying some white people don't want to admit that Egyptians were non-white) and that it is actually referring to the skin colour... evidence they suggest is the use of a heiroglyph...
I disbelieve the latter meaning, for good reason.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

What's your good reason?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

If your a white man surrounded by other white men, are you going to consider yourself "THE White Man"? Would you even need to distinguish yourself by skin colour?
Likewise, Egyptian weren't the only black people in Africa...

Also, the Egyptians were probably brown-skinned too. They probably didn't even perceive themselves as black or white skinned, given the paintings featuring them.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Ah, that makes sense. Anyway, the reason I'm asking this question is that I'm actually trying to figure out how to come up with a name for my conlang. Right now, I'm thinking of two options: I could make up a name for the region in which the conlang's speakers would live, and then have a compound word composed of that name and the word for "language", or I could have a compound word composed of the words for "homeland" and "language". I'm leaning towards the second one.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

You don't have to use "language"... you could have "tongue" or "mouth".
As for land, you could describe a distinct feature.
"Language of the Men of Tall Hats" or "Mouth of the Turtlefishers" or "Tongue of the Coarse Sands"
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

I suppose that's true... Is there any way that conlangers typically go about creating autonyms for their languages?
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Ahzoh wrote:If your a white man surrounded by other white men, are you going to consider yourself "THE White Man"? Would you even need to distinguish yourself by skin colour?

Also, the Egyptians were probably brown-skinned too. They probably didn't even perceive themselves as black or white skinned, given the paintings featuring them.
Ancient Egypt was an empire that did empire things, like trading and letting in immigrants. They had people of many different skin colors.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Teddy wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:If your a white man surrounded by other white men, are you going to consider yourself "THE White Man"? Would you even need to distinguish yourself by skin colour?

Ancient Egypt was an empire that did empire things, like trading and letting in immigrants. They had people of many different skin colors.
Regardless, it is unlikely that they would distinguish themselves by skin colour like that...
The fact they were multiracial would further adds to my point...
Besides, if they calling themselves that because of skin color, why don't they use it towards other tribes who are black skinned?
On further speculation: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_ ... ersy#Kemet
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I'm just saying your initial post made it sound like there was such a thing as an "egyptian race" at that time, which there wasn't. And you obviously realize that. Now, for some real contribution from me:

The traditional autonym of the Kets is kə́nasiŋ, which is a nominalized plural form of kəˀn, meaning 'bright' or 'illuminated'. The use of this term is significant for mythological reasons (Georg says it refers to the fact that they are illuminated by the *sun*, i.e. they are earth dwellers, rather than ghosts or something).
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

I can't believe nobody (besides the native name of German) has mentioned the common practice of simply using the word for people or person either for the name of the people, the language, or both. Seems ridiculously common.

There is for example deutsch (German) ← Proto-Germanic *þiudiskaz, from *þeudō people and suffix meaning -ish – cognate of Dutch. And there inuktitut – like the people.

Is there any way to filter this sort of stuff on WALS or any sister site?

As for conlangs, Na'vi is an example.

also wait teddy = nort??

EDIT: o my name changed now too – thank aszev
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

Prinsessa wrote:also wait teddy = nort??
Nope, Teddy's Teddy, Nort's Nort. They're not the same person, yet.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

I thought Ket was Nort's language. Hm. I wonder what made me think that.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I'm fairly sure that Nort has studied it thoroughly or otherwise at some point.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Prinsessa wrote:I thought Ket was Nort's language. Hm. I wonder what made me think that.
The difference between Ket and Kett is only one t is why.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

MrKrov wrote:
Prinsessa wrote:I thought Ket was Nort's language. Hm. I wonder what made me think that.
The difference between Ket and Kett is only one t is why.
Oooh. Thanks for clearing that up.