Need a lyrics translation (JAMMU - KSHMR)

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Need a lyrics translation (JAMMU - KSHMR)

Post by Iyionaku »

Hey CBB,
I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but I couldn't consider another board as fitting better, so...

There is this song which I really like, but I don't know what it's about because it's in a language I don't speak, know and, in fact, don't even know which language it actually is (it might be East African, but I'm not sure). Googling didn't help and neither did Google Translate. Therefore, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with this.

The lyrics are from the song "Jammu" by KSHMR. They are as follows (source by musixmatch, might be spelled incorrectly):

Olelele sodan gout,
wanipore, wanipore
Amikae masifobi

Olelele sodan gout (Bolateli Bolataley)
wanipore, wanipore, Baby
Amikae masifobi

I hope so much that someone can help me with this! Thanks a lot in anticipation!
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Need a lyrics translation (JAMMU - KSHMR)

Post by qwed117 »

Iyionaku wrote:Hey CBB,
I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but I couldn't consider another board as fitting better, so...

There is this song which I really like, but I don't know what it's about because it's in a language I don't speak, know and, in fact, don't even know which language it actually is (it might be East African, but I'm not sure). Googling didn't help and neither did Google Translate. Therefore, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with this.

The lyrics are from the song "Jammu" by KSHMR. They are as follows (source by musixmatch, might be spelled incorrectly):

Olelele sodan gout,
wanipore, wanipore
Amikae masifobi

wanipore, wanipore, Baby
Amikae masifobi

I hope so much that someone can help me with this! Thanks a lot in anticipation!
1) The dude's band is "Kashmir". If there's a language it might be spoken in Kashmir
http://jktourism.org/index.php/cultural/language (Jammu and Kashmir Dep. of Tourism)
2) The dude has East Indian descent, if it's a language, it might be spoken in East India. This requires a bit more searching
(it might be Assamese, Bodo, Bengali, Kurukh, Maithili, Meithei, Munda, Oriya, Tamil or Telegu)
3) It might not be a language at all. It might be imitative
4) It is almost impossible for it to not be miscribed.
5) The presence of "pore" suggests it's Indo-Aryan, comparable to "Manipur" or "Barrackpore".
so let's see which languages it could be
  • Bengali
  • Kashmiri
  • Dogri
  • Ladhaki
  • Hindi
  • Urdu
  • Assamese
  • Bodo
  • Bengali
  • Kurukh
  • Maithili
  • Meithei
  • Munda
  • Oriya
  • Tamil
  • Telugu
I don't have enough time to just search up and down, but let's try Somali, a East African language, and see what we get.

Olelele thirty times,
wanipore, wanipore
Amikae masifobi

Olelele thirty times, (Bolateli Bolataley)
Olelele thirty times, (Bolateli Bolataley)
wanipore, wanipore, Baby
Amikae masifobi

I tried some Indo-Aryan languages; they returned nothing. I'm going to bet it's either a conlang or not organized language. You can always ask the guy on Facebook though.
Last edited by qwed117 on 30 Dec 2015 02:48, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

That's so nice and magnanimous of you, qwed.

Oh, and remind me never to ask you for help.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Yeah, I'm confused, what's with the "hints"? Either help him translate it or don't. I don't understand that post at all.

As one of my co-workers is wont to say, "Do you get off on being withholding?!"
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

I don't see what's wrong with qwed's post. It looks to me like he did what he could in the time he felt like spending on this and posted what he figured out. Am I misreading somethng?
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

GrandPiano wrote:I don't see what's wrong with qwed's post. It looks to me like he did what he could in the time he felt like spending on this and posted what he figured out. Am I misreading somethng?
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like he just said "I have no idea what this is," he gave some information that could be helpful in finding out what language this is, which is obviously helpful in translating.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Dezinaa wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:I don't see what's wrong with qwed's post. It looks to me like he did what he could in the time he felt like spending on this and posted what he figured out. Am I misreading somethng?
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like he just said "I have no idea what this is," he gave some information that could be helpful in finding out what language this is, which is obviously helpful in translating.
That's because the post was changed. As a preface it said "These hints will likely be patronizing. I don't think that you spent a lot of time searching". It didn't include the list at the bottom, and i didn't include the Somali results, or a summation of the Indo-Aryan results. Or the Facebook thing.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

qwed117 wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:
That's because the post was changed. As a preface it said "These hints will likely be patronizing. I don't think that you spent a lot of time searching". It didn't include the list at the bottom, and i didn't include the Somali results, or a summation of the Indo-Aryan results. Or the Facebook thing.
Oh, OK. I agree with Des and Thrice, then.
Norwestar
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Norwestar »

Hey.CBB
the lyrics of the song Jammu by Kshmr.....
is.
CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR,
CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR, MAN KORE
MAN KORE , GAAN GAE MAN KOBI.....

this is Bengali language....
"CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR" means " Leave, if i ever, the golden touch of Lord Krishna ( Gour in bengali )
"MAN KORE" means "with Arrogance"
"GAAN GAE MAN KOBI" means "the poets (KOBI" কবি" in Bengali )of arrogance sing in saddness"..
willy66
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by willy66 »

Iyionaku wrote: 26 Dec 2015 22:10 Hey CBB,

There is this song which I really like, but I don't know what it's about because it's in a language I don't speak, know and, in fact, don't even know which language it actually is (it might be East African, but I'm not sure). Googling didn't help and neither did Google Translate. Therefore, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with this. I just remember the music video, I saw a man wearing black durag but if you are not familiar with durags click the get more info to see.

Olelele sodan gout,
wanipore, wanipore
Amikae masifobi

wanipore, wanipore, Baby
Amikae masifobi

First of all, no worries about posting your question here. This community is always open to helping out with various topics, including song interpretations. Let's see if we can shed some light on the song you mentioned!

I understand your curiosity about the song "Jammu" by KSHMR. It can be quite intriguing when you come across a song in a language you're not familiar with. I appreciate your efforts in searching and trying Google Translate, but sometimes, it's challenging to get accurate translations for certain languages or dialects.

Now, regarding the lyrics you provided, they do seem to be in a language that I'm not able to identify right away. It's possible that it could be a regional or indigenous language from East Africa, as you mentioned. However, without further context or information, it might be challenging to pinpoint the exact language and its meaning.

To enhance your chances of getting a response, you could consider posting your inquiry in a more specialized music or language-related forum or community. There might be individuals with specific knowledge or language expertise who can assist you further. Don't hesitate to ask for help from fellow music enthusiasts or linguistic experts.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for, and I wish you the best of luck in uncovering the meaning behind the song's lyrics. If you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out. Happy exploring!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I certainly appreciate the idea of just asking ChatGPT, however I'm afraid that the answer it provided it won't help me all that much.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Norwestar wrote: 08 Sep 2018 04:01 Hey.CBB
the lyrics of the song Jammu by Kshmr.....
is.
CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR,
CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR, MAN KORE
MAN KORE , GAAN GAE MAN KOBI.....

this is Bengali language....
"CHOLE GELE SONAR GOUR" means " Leave, if i ever, the golden touch of Lord Krishna ( Gour in bengali )
"MAN KORE" means "with Arrogance"
"GAAN GAE MAN KOBI" means "the poets (KOBI" কবি" in Bengali )of arrogance sing in saddness"..
How did I never see this comment until now? Thank you so much!