What Iranian Grammar is Most Beloved?

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Isfendil
greek
greek

What Iranian Grammar is Most Beloved?

Post by Isfendil »

What grammar book of any dialect of any language in the Iranian family of the IE phylum do people here who are familiar love the most? And why?
Davush
greek
greek

Re: What Iranian Grammar is Most Beloved?

Post by Davush »

I have Lambton's 'Persian Grammar' which I found quite useful when I tried to learn a bit of Farsi. It's quite comprehensive and split into 'exercise-type' chapters, but not dumbed down in any way. It also uses romanization along with the native script (rather than adding tashkil).
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Davush wrote:I have Lambton's 'Persian Grammar' which I found quite useful when I tried to learn a bit of Farsi. It's quite comprehensive and split into 'exercise-type' chapters, but not dumbed down in any way. It also uses romanization along with the native script (rather than adding tashkil).
Good, my L2- That should make things a bit easier to understand. Thank you once again, Davush.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Isfendil wrote:What grammar book of any dialect of any language in the Iranian family of the IE phylum do people here who are familiar love the most? And why?
I have Lambton's Persian Grammar as well, but I find L.P. Elwell-Sutton's Elementary Persian Grammar to be just as useful, if not easier to use (in my opinion); this book also uses romanization. They are both great references.

For more advanced learning and maintenance, Michael Craig Hillmann's Persian Grammar and Verbs is a wonderful resource and is what I use for practice and self-study.

Mr. Hillmann also created a free online resource for Persian grammar at the University of Texas - Austin website: Persian Online Resources
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain