Natlang radio online.

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
masako
mayan
mayan

Natlang radio online.

Post by masako »

http://radiotime.com/index.aspx

I found this url today while searching for some random lang info.

It is wonderful for listening to almost any natlang you want, either talk or music.

Just plug in the name of the lang you're interested in in the search bar and look for the stations that are currently listenable.

(works really well with firefox)
g

o

n

e
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Natlang radio online.

Post by Ossicone »

sano wrote:http://radiotime.com/index.aspx

It is wonderful for listening to almost any natlang you want, either talk or music.

Just plug in the name of the lang you're interested in in the search bar and look for the stations that are currently listenable.

Coolness. I'll definitely be using this.
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

sano wrote:http://radiotime.com/index.aspx

Very nice Sano.
I can now listen to Dutch, Welsh, Romanian and Turkish without my MP3.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Conlangs: :con: Literary Makurungou, :con: Common Makurungou
imploder
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by imploder »

Cool. On this radio they're code-switching all the time - about half talking English (a language I can understand) and half Tamil (which I totally don't, of course). That's weird, talking two languages at the same time (not just saying something in one time to time while talking the other but really using both roughly equally). I wonder what's the point of doing that, other than to limit the audience to those who know both English and Tamil.

EDIT: Not always. BTW Tamil with all those trills and (maybe) prosody sounds like jibber-jabber.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Spiffy find. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

imploder wrote:Cool. On this radio they're code-switching all the time - about half talking English (a language I can understand) and half Tamil (which I totally don't, of course). That's weird, talking two languages at the same time (not just saying something in one time to time while talking the other but really using both roughly equally). I wonder what's the point of doing that, other than to limit the audience to those who know both English and Tamil.

EDIT: Not always. BTW Tamil with all those trills and (maybe) prosody sounds like jibber-jabber.
I'd guess that it's because something are easier/better said in some languages. This happens to me all the time, I have something I want to say but is doesn't translate at all, so I can't because I'm stuck with a bunch of monoglots.

Also, I know that in Hindi movies at least they like to throw in some English too. I guess it's the cool thing to do.
imploder
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by imploder »

Ossicone wrote:I'd guess that it's because something are easier/better said in some languages. This happens to me all the time, I have something I want to say but is doesn't translate at all, so I can't because I'm stuck with a bunch of monoglots.

Also, I know that in Hindi movies at least they like to throw in some English too. I guess it's the cool thing to do.
Talking Tamil and occasionally throwing in some expression or sentence in English (or vice versa) would be understandable but that was not the case. They were really mixing them roughly equally, for a while talking one and then another (without necessarily both speakers being in the same "mode"). Weird.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

imploder wrote:Cool. On this radio they're code-switching all the time - about half talking English (a language I can understand) and half Tamil (which I totally don't, of course). That's weird, talking two languages at the same time (not just saying something in one time to time while talking the other but really using both roughly equally). I wonder what's the point of doing that, other than to limit the audience to those who know both English and Tamil.

From what I've heard about India, English seems to be spoken and understood by most of the populace there. The Philippines is in a similar situation.

A lot of our radio stations broadcast both in English and Tagalog, and veejays frequently switch back and forth. Spoken day-to-day conversations also easily switch easily between the two. I don't know, it's just something we do. I don't really think much of it. *shrug* :D

Although really, Tagalog is preferred by the "masses", so most of the stations in the capital are in Tagalog. But my family and others prefer English, just because that is our educational language.

But I digress; I could go on and on about my observations in Filipino linguistics. Just saying that, on my social level at least, my friends easily switch between two languages in spoken conversation. :mrgreen:

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

Ilaeriu wrote:

From what I've heard about India, English seems to be spoken and understood by most of the populace there. The Philippines is in a similar situation.

A lot of our radio stations broadcast both in English and Tagalog, and veejays frequently switch back and forth. Spoken day-to-day conversations also easily switch easily between the two. I don't know, it's just something we do. I don't really think much of it. *shrug* :D

Although really, Tagalog is preferred by the "masses", so most of the stations in the capital are in Tagalog. But my family and others prefer English, just because that is our educational language.

But I digress; I could go on and on about my observations in Filipino linguistics. Just saying that, on my social level at least, my friends easily switch between two languages in spoken conversation. :mrgreen:

Similar thing in some Belgian areas, Especially in the Brussels area. I will be walking down a street there and hear people speaking French, and then abruptly switch to Vlaams. I've been speaking with people in Brussels in Dutch, They'll switch to French and I'll ask them in French or Dutch to switch back to Dutch. Other times I'll hear English for no apparent reason.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

Itsuki Kohaku wrote:
Ilaeriu wrote:

Similar thing in some Belgian areas, Especially in the Brussels area. I will be walking down a street there and hear people speaking French, and then abruptly switch to Vlaams. I've been speaking with people in Brussels in Dutch, They'll switch to French and I'll ask them in French or Dutch to switch back to Dutch. Other times I'll hear English for no apparent reason.
Ah yes, I thought there would be a similar situation in the European countries :).

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

Imagine it in certain areas of India or South Africa..