The rise of agriculture and labiodentals

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

The rise of agriculture and labiodentals

Post by Khemehekis »

Today, while I was reading the CBC news site, I came upon a fascinating biolinguistic discovery:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-23- ... -1.5065948

"Food" for thought when you're creating a language for a sapient people and taking their biology into account.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The rise of agriculture and labiodentals

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 Mar 2019 00:43 Today, while I was reading the CBC news site, I came upon a fascinating biolinguistic discovery:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-23- ... -1.5065948

"Food" for thought when you're creating a language for a sapient people and taking their biology into account.
I see what you did there! Interesting read for consideration indeed.

Though I do wonder how they decided [f] & [v] were basically invented 12000 years ago or so....
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

There's been some discussion of the paper on Languagehat, where they came to a somewhat less bold conclusion that the biological change simply caused a turnaround in the relative frequencies of [f], [v] vs. [ɸ], [β].
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Zekoslav wrote: 25 Mar 2019 18:42 There's been some discussion of the paper on Languagehat, where they came to a somewhat less bold conclusion that the biological change simply caused a turnaround in the relative frequencies of [f], [v] vs. [ɸ], [β].
Those are the sorts of comments I've seen on "popular science" pages on Facebook and YouTube channels that have brought this up, i.e. "what about bilabial fricatives?". I haven't managed to read the original paper, however, so I can't say for certain whether this is something that's missed in the paper, or missed in the reporting.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Sounds a little bit like the mountains = ejectives argument.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Shemtov wrote: 26 Mar 2019 02:57 Sounds a little bit like the mountains = ejectives argument.
Right, there've been a lot of attempts to explain sound changes with biological, geographical, climate-related or other similar factors, and mostly they haven't really stood up to scrutiny. This one would seem at least sort of plausible, I guess... But probably requires further research, and ultimately might hit the same wall as most stuff in historical linguistics: sure, you can make all sorts of interesting hypotheses, but beyond about 10000 years back (at most), it just becomes impossible to gather enough evidence for anything for it to be truly convincing.