Slavic reflexes of words

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Otto Kretschmer
rupestrian
rupestrian

Slavic reflexes of words

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

How would Slavic reflexes of the words below look like if they existed in PIE?

*korteks
*hipotalamos
*hippokampos
*amygdala

Take nearest PIE approximation.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Re: Slavic reflexes of words

Post by Pabappa »

it's not clear that PIE had a linking affix like -o- .... Im curious to see this too, but whoever answers will need to make a decision on how theyre going to handle the morphology here. Russian also has an -o-, but Im not sure theyre cognates.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: 05 Jan 2021 00:12 How would Slavic reflexes of the words below look like if they existed in PIE?

*korteks
*hipotalamos
*hippokampos
*amygdala

Take nearest PIE approximation.
Only the first word can be projected back to PIE: Latin cortex is from *kor-t-ek-. If it existed in PIE, the proto-form was indeed probably *korteks, which would yield *kortek in Proto-Slavic (there’s also *kora “crust”). The big unknown is the accent, which is not preserved in Latin.

The Greek roots of the other three words are θάλαμος, κάμπος and ἀμυγδάλη. Not one of them is Indo-European in origin.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Click wrote: 05 Jan 2021 16:49Only the first word can be projected back to PIE: Latin cortex is from *kor-t-ek-. If it existed in PIE, the proto-form was indeed probably *korteks, which would yield *kortek in Proto-Slavic (there’s also *kora “crust”). The big unknown is the accent, which is not preserved in Latin.

The Greek roots of the other three words are θάλαμος, κάμπος and ἀμυγδάλη. Not one of them is Indo-European in origin.
I think Otto is asking for theoretical ancestors and reflexes, i.e. apply the sound changes backwards from Greek and forwards into modern Slavic, with some reasonable caveats (PIE probably had no -o-).

For *kórteks or *kortéks, maybe you could give the Slavic reflexes for both accent locations...
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.