So, below I have ten words from five closely related languages, which are labeled A-E. While the languages all descend from one proto-language (technically, it’s a sub-branch), there is more than one clade represented by these languages. The labels and their order do not necessarily indicate any particular grouping.
For this challenge I’ll propose the following goals:
1. Reconstruct each word as closely as possible to the actual proto-word (as judged by me).
2. Correctly group these languages into their clades.
3. Guess the language family (bonus goal)
I’ll also propose the following limits:
1. Each participant is limited to three guesses for each goal.
2. The challenge will end in two weeks during the evening of Sunday 12/12 (PST).
The challenge will end once goals (1) and (2) have been met or when the time limit is met, whichever comes first. Once the challenge is over, I will reveal the language family, the individual languages, and of course the proto-words.
I think this will prove to be a relatively easy challenge, especially compared to the conlang game this is based on, but I hope the fact that these are natlangs might add to the entertainment.