Eelegīa Lambuciī

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Eelegīa Lambuciī

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:Ride the Phoenix, Dear John!
Ride the bounding Simurgh at impossible speeds over
cliff and cavern, crevasse and chasm, cave and canyon;
Go Thou serenely into Eternity!
This is a beautiful elegy and should, perhaps, be made into a translation exercise!

The Queranaran version (Daine not having simorgs native to their countries):

didi-yuuhana : damo-ruí damo-adônye yan-we-yama shinnem;
meryoahhwara! : wi didi-we-yrman rascayel meryoahhwara!
yasi-meryoahhwara! : amara-eronerdonye nepasi-locualanye
tuullolo-aiyarencueye marsi-yaombronye
dulyadesi-meryoahhwara! : tehônsamray esi-lalaythawsa bannara

We will sing the ravens down, John!
fly away from here! --- sunwise along the mountain walls, above & over
the rivers, up & away from the golden cornfields, between the round hills
Like a rising smoke, fly away from here!
fly away from here! and go in quietude on towards the Rest of eternity

Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Eelegīa Lambuciī

Post by Lambuzhao »

很谢谢你 [:$]
hen xièxie nĭ
Many thanks {for the shoutout}

However, credit where credit's due (i.e. Anthony Minghella):

(skip to 21:36)

The Storyteller- The True Bride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt3haVCUEv8

The Phoenix and Simurgh were my touch b/c, well, who wouldn't want one or both of them to be their psychopompical Ride into the Great Beyond?
[;)]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Queranaran's writing system is just... WOW.

I tried to translate this, but what is a "Simurgh"?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambucius wrote:Many thanks {for the shoutout} However, credit where credit's due (i.e. Anthony Minghella): (skip to 21:36) The Storyteller- The True Bride
:mrgreen: You're welcome! And thanks for the link --- I know that allerwonderful of voices. Gone perhaps from the middle world, yet it reverberates still, calling out from the Land of Story!
Iyionaku wrote:Queranaran's writing system is just... WOW.
Gosh, thanks!
I tried to translate this, but what is a "Simurgh"?
In the sawyery of ancient Ehrran, the sênomereyô was a very wise and compassionate bird who makes appearances throughout tales of kings and princes
of that country. One story, for example, involves how the sênomereyô would come into the king's city to teach Men from her vast store of knowledge and
wisdom. The king being jealous, however, drove the bird away and forbade her from ever entering the civilised realms of Men again. Much saddened, the whole
kindred of sênomereyô departed from Ehrran and took their wisdom to Armenia and Custantiyya in the west beyond the Puntic Sea.

The Ehrraneans got the idea from the Shumur, who lived in the land before them and from whom they obtained the kingship over the Lands Amid the Rivers,
having come out of Punt some six or seven thousand years ago.

In form, the sênomereyô was a great raptor, a bird of the hunt and of the kindreds of the toothed birds.

The Shumur knew of the creature, and the great queen of the sênomereyô, Anzu, makes appearance in the Lugalbanda epic, but she and her whole folk are
much maligned by the Shumur, who viewed them as a kind of demon. The Ehrraneans and the Sandhians, however, both rightly understood the upright nature
of the sênomereyô. The above image is neo-Shumurean and depicts a winged warrior hunting down Anzu and her folk.

In Sandhia, they call the queen of the great eagles Garuda.

What's most interesting about this whole regional mythology, is that it has definite origins rather father to the north, in the vicinity of the ancient realm of Alna.
Up there, on the sunrise foothills of the Spine of the World, there was a great hunter by the name of Niyunur Taravase, and his companion was Kirelle, a great
eagle, sharp of tooth and strong of talons and she was one of the mighty eagles of the highlands, the great Silver Eagles. Now, Niyunur's own wingspan
was a pretty impressive 17 to 18 feet; but his bird companion Kirelle's wingspan was rather moreso at about 24 feet.

Mostly he wandered in the lands to the east of Alna; but on several occasions, he wandered down into the south. Now prior to this time in the history of the
Daine, some forty thousand years before the present age, they were being pushed out of their western homelands by an invasive kind of wingless folk they
would later call Men. But in Alna and all the lands north of what would eventually become Ehrran, no Men ever set foot. Niyunur lived some twelve or fifteen
thousand years ago and in his wanderings into the south would certainly have come in contact with the archaic empires of the Punt and the Archaeo-
Shumur. I can but imagine how the Men of those lands and in that time, who couldn't have averaged much more than about 5'5'' would have reacted to a Daine
hunter some seven foot tall and his hunting bird that even a king among Men would have had to tilt his head back to look into its piercing gaze! And his hound
companion, Veriyegu, was no less impressive. I can see pretty easily how such a striking figure could become the source of much mythologising among the
ancient Archaeo-Aryan Men of those lands around the Sea of Sandh!

Lore concerning the battles Niyunur fought in, most against the Hotai of the mountains, but also certain monsters that came down occasionally from the dark
Northlands, can still be heard told by the Daine of Alna and indeed many lands on either side of the Spine of the World. All but unknown to the Daine of the
Eastlands, the records of his time in history and his deeds can still be read in the great libraries of Marloyn, a great monastery of Morvalliê at western
terminus of the Great Road, should you ever care to make the journey in your quest to master the sawyery of The World!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

{an addendum/afterthought}

Ðæt he, swá Fénix, onfón móte, þurh líges blæst, líf æfter deáþe
that he, like the Phoenix, may, through the fire's flame, receive life after death

eac he, Dohter ǫnd Stǽrmágister, endeleás brǽþ
and he, Doctor and Historymaster, {receive} endless breath.

Damn! The Old :eng: duznt rhyme. That'll teach me to try to retro-activate poetic conventions that just ain't there. [}:(] [:'(]

Not to slight his other super roles such as Max, John Merrick, Quentin Crisp and Caligula.... mebbe I'll be inspired yet still... [B)]

The first line in this couplet comes slightly eftwrought from an Old :eng: poem called Fénix, which see & enjoy!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ascp/a03_04.htm

I chose those two epithets b/c of my four favorite roles of Mr. Hurt: War Doctor & Dr. Broom + Storyteller & Narrator for Planet Dinosaur.
I could have used more native-y Old :eng: words, but I wuz bitten by that new Sámlǽden bug that's going around. Excuse my slight indulgence, por fa'. [B)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sámlǽden < Old :eng: sám- pref. 'half'- (denoting imperfection); 'semi'- + Lǽden 'Latin'
'Half-Latin'

Alt. Mod. :eng: *Sandlatin
[;)]
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

:con: Bwángxud

Dráhíriad Drán mbunngíqba!
Qaq qaq! xatdau íriad mingxung
bwánáknúkxung! númnungningxung! kabxung dúndíkrinranxung!
ku ku! múmkagkàgxung.

Rough Translation:
On the firebird, John, [go] from here!
Very fast, on the ancient bird, above
the cliffs, the abysses, the green mountains
silently, through the years.

IPA:
/drá.í:.rjad drán ᵐ̥ɓɯn.ŋɪ́q.ba:/
/qɜq qɜq ʀɜt.daɰ ʔí:.rjad mɪŋ.ʀωŋ/
/bʷá:.nák.nώk.ʀωŋ nɯ́m.nωŋ.nɪŋ.ʀωŋ kɜb.ʀωŋ dɯ́n.dɪ́k.rin.ran.ʀωŋ/
/kω kω mɯ́m.kɜɡ.kɜ̀ɡ.ʀωŋ/

Analysis:
Dráh-íri-ad Drán mbun-ngíq-ba
fire-bird-LOC John PROX-REL-ABL

Qaq~qaq! xatda-u íri-ad ming-xung
very~fast old_person\ADJ-LOC bird-LOC up\ADJ-PROL

bwánák~núk-xung! númnung~ning-xung! kab-xung dúndíkrin~ran-xung!
cliff~PL-PROL abyss~PL-PROL green\ADJ-PROL mountain~PL-PROL

Ku~ku! múmkag~kàg-xung.
very~quiet year~PL-PROL

PROL = Prolative case.
ADJ role is marked by tone alteration in the first syllable, from high to mid.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

I will use the éspamat, a golden mythologic bird, instead of a phoenix (fènics) in this translation. Also, I tried to keep the alliteration in line three, which results in a freer translation.

Yiyas pas Éspamat, Jon!
Tetyiyas aʻespemvuvas, tetyiyas poucet cepredsé,
iuyiyas cud buri è butsam, bèket è boyon, buyol è barder;
Yelvenvànias pun cepredsé!

Ride the Éspamat, Jon!
Ride the binding bird, ride it as fast as eternity,
Ride it across snow and cobble, firth and valley, spruce and fir;
Ride it happily into eternity!

[ˈʃa̯iːɐs pɐs ˈɛspamat, d͡ʒɔn!
tɛtˈʃa̯iːɐs aˈʔɛspɛmvuvas, tɛtˈʃa̯iːɐs ˈpɔ̯ʊkət ˌkɛprədˈseː,
juˈʃa̯iːɐs kʊ‿ˈbuːri ɛ ˈbʊtsam, ˈbɛkət ɛ ˈbɔʃɔn, ˈbuʃɔl ɛ ˈbaɾdəɾ;
ˌʃɛlvənˈvɐnjɐs pʊn ˌkɛprədˈseː]

ride-JUS.2SG on_top_of Éspamat, Jon |
fast-ride-JUS.2SG DEF.ANIM=bird-bind-ADVZ, fast-ride-JUS.2SG equally_like eternity |
through-ride-JUS.2SG over snow and cobble, firth and valley, spruce and fir |
happy-ride-JUS.2SG in eternity

New words created for this challenge:

vuvas [ˈvuːvɐs] - binding, from vuva - to bind + adjectivizer -s
cepredsé [ˌkɛprədˈseː] - eternity, from cepred - eternal + condition suffix -sé
barder [ˈbaɾdəɾ] - fir, new root
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.